Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - OOC

Aiee, they weren't allowed before? I thought I saw a psionic character on the player list, was I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad
    Slade, half-orc Oracle of Ancestors

2. - Top - End - #182

Actually, looking back at the first post, I think you're right. Looks like ToB was good too, I'm surprised I drew up a Scout, haha.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

3. - Top - End - #183

Whew. Although, the game has changed DM's since then. If MrX doesn't like psionics, I'll just go straight rogue or something.
    This image you have of European peasants huddled fearfully in decrepit hovels while packs of baby-eating wolves terrorize the countryside has no basis in reality.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad

4. - Top - End - #184

Whew. Although, the game has changed DM's since then. If MrX doesn't like psionics, I'll just go straight rogue or something.
    Murgan, dwarven footpad

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I just checked Achwizard's 'The 16'. He didn't have Psions listed as Banned, though we didn't have any playing either.

As for me I don't mind you playing one, but as I said, I'm not very well informed regarding them. So I'll just ask that, should you choose to go that route, you explain the mechanics of the powers you are using behind a spoiler when you use them, and I'll read up on them myself.

As a basic rule of thumb, just try to stay away from 'cheap shot' powers.

Powerful powers are great, but I'm against anything who's effects lessen the interest level of any given scene. (If that makes sense.)

EDIT: And yes, if you take a feat that is later made obsolete by taking a level in a class who's features include that feat, you may swap it out for something actually useful and that is in keeping with your character design.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2011-12-20 at 08:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding Crossover between different Arcane and Divine methods of spellcasting:

According to the book, to cast a spell of a scroll, the spell must belong not only to your caster type (i.e. Arcane or Divine), but also must belong to your class spell list (i.e. Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, or Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Ranger)

So if you are a wizard, and have an arcane spell scroll from a bard, you may not cast it unless the spell is also a wizard spell...

I am going to allow any caster to cast a spell from any scroll of the same source (Arcane or Divine) with the following limitations:

Arcane Casters manipulate the primal forces of the universe to create their desired effects. However, their methods differ dramatically.

-Wizards, use arcane formulae and scientific methodology to describe and control these primal forces.

-Sorcerers, possess a natural feel for the ebb and flow of the primal forces, and willfully bend them to their desire.

-Bards, the most different, use poetry and music, tone and pitch to deeply effect emotions, and even more, effecting what the world is and what makes people who and what they are at their core.

At the base, however, it is all Arcane Magic, and all manipulations of the same forces.

Soooooo.....

In order to cast a spell prepared by a different class, you must conform to that class's method of casting.

For Sorcerers and Wizards, the stretch is not so very far, as the forces the sorcerer feels and the ones the wizard describes are very much the same thing. For either case, the caster must succeed at a Spellcraft Check, DC: (15+Spell Level+ any other modifiers that might apply)

For Bards, it's much less about getting a repeatable effect, and much more about creating ART. to cast a spell from a Bard's scroll, they must Succeed at a Performance Check, DC: (15+Spell Level+ any other modifiers that might apply).

A note: The only reason I can see that they would restrict a caster to his own spell list, is because Bards can heal, and Sorcerers/Wizards cannot. This is a valid objective, and so I will also rule (for some fabulous reason that I haven't come up with yet) that wizards cannot learn healing spells from bard scrolls. They may, however, cast them off the scroll if they can successfully sing the song.

I've got a great big diatribe for the Divine casters too(regarding powers from dieties and so on), but since we only have one of them, I won't get into it now.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2011-12-21 at 02:51 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187

A 1st level bard scroll costs the same as a potion. How come you took a bard-crafted scroll instead of a druid or cleric made potion?
    Murgan, dwarven footpad

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

That was a close one... about time for a decent roll. ^^

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Scrolls can be re-written upon even after their magic has been spent. The casting consumes the ink, and leaves the vellum blank and ready for re-use.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
    A note: The only reason I can see that they would restrict a caster to his own spell list, is because Bards can heal, and Sorcerers/Wizards cannot.
    That's one of the main differences. The other is spell level. Bard's often get access to spells at lower spell levels because they're still getting it at a higher caster level (e.g. Lesser Geas -- Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 4). So if my character has access to 3rd level Sorcerer/Wizard spells, with a DC 18 Perform check could he use a Scroll of Lesser Geas scribed by a Bard?

Also, are you saying that for a Wizard to cast a scroll scribed by a Sorcerer, or vice versa, (s)he would need to make a Spellcraft check even though their spell lists are the same?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyJohnny View Post
    A 1st level bard scroll costs the same as a potion. How come you took a bard-crafted scroll instead of a druid or cleric made potion?
    I've done this to prevent other characters from using the item.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2011-12-21 at 07:31 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes and yes.

One thing I always felt was overlooked in the magic system was how Sorcerers and Wizards were intrinsically different, despite operating from the same spell list. The only reason it is easier for them to swap back and forth is because Spellcraft is a primary skill for both, and operates on the same principles regardless of the feel of the magic.

Wizards, therefore, must conceptualize the 'feel' of the raw magical forces, while Sorcerers must accept that these same ultimate forces can be controlled by something as mundane as complex arcane formulae.

As for the Spell Level, you are absolutely correct. If you can succeed at the necessary skill check, you could cast the same spell at a lower spell level (though the resistance DC would also use the lower spell level.)

This shall not change the operation of the 'Use Magic Device' Skill, and anyone could indeed use that in place of the above ruling if they so chose.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2011-12-21 at 08:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Interesting. Glad I'm not playing a Sorcerer!
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

That's ok, #Raptor is. :-)

14. - Top - End - #194

It may not matter, if I'm taking 1d4 Con damage/turn w/o more saves, Meste is dead.

I'm gonna need to think on her next action and I'm a couple drinks into my evening so I'll give you a next action tomorrow :)
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good.

Spoiler
    Show
    FYI, you'll take damage once more before you get another save. Also, if you can get away from the mold, that'll help (but you probably already figured that one out. :-)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, my apologies for the delay guys, it was another crazy day yesterday.

I am, however, pleased to announce that I am officially finished with work for the rest of the year! :-D

So I shall have quite a bit more time on my hands for the next couple of weeks.

17. - Top - End - #197

Me too! But I have family visiting, tomorrow I'll do my best to figure out what Meste does next.

EDIT: I don't see any maps, are they there?
    Last edited by HempRope; 2011-12-23 at 11:14 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, we've moved onto a third page. There's a post for both you and Murgan, and that's where your map is.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about my slowness to respond. Work was more involved than anticipated on Thursday and Friday. Should be good for a post or two a day until Monday, and hopefully one per day thereafter, though.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, welcome back.

21. - Top - End - #201

Until Meste and Murgan join us, how about this night watch plan?:

Fredric 2,67 hours
    Kulkav 2,67 hours
    Malthos 2,67 hours
    Taribo 2,67 hours
    Our group will sleep for 10,68 hours, Fredric and Malthos have to prepare spells for 1 hour, so in total we'll rest 11,68 hours and move for 12,32 hours each day.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems pretty good to me at the moment. Once we have enough people that we can spare the casters a watch, we can have them prepare during the final watch, or something.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Ack, wrong thread, sorry. Just re-posted IC.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2011-12-24 at 07:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Hmmm... wrong thread? Btw, Merry Christmas to everyone!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

And yes, a merry Christmas to all!

26. - Top - End - #206

Ah, I forgot to ask... how much xp should we note for those last two fights? (The rat swarms and the insects... they were stirges I think?)
    Looks like we are getting close to leveling up.
    Although the difference between level 1 and level 2 is not very noticeable for a sorcerer... one cantrip more known and one level 1 and one cantrip more per day...so I'm really looking more at the fact that this'll mean level 3 ain't too far away either I guess.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - OOC

Ahh, yes, I neglected that point, sorry. And you are quite correct, the insects were Stirges. (by the book, they don't deal damage at all, but if somethings gonna hook into you such that it has +12 to grapple checks, it's probably gonna take some skin with it. So I added the damage, and an extra hit point, and upped their CR from 1/2 to 2/3.)

Nasty little buggers no matter how you cut them, though.

Xp awards:

Rat Swarm: 300xp for each character

Stirges: 300xp for each character

28. - Top - End - #208

If I counted correctly, that makes us level 2 now.
    Previous encounters: 450 xp
    xp from yesterday: 600 xp
    = 1050 xp

You want to keep using that "roll hp, reroll 1's" ruling from the original recruitment threat?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Please note that if #Raptor's EXP calculations are correct, then Kulkav would be getting in his Goliath racial stat adjustments (along with his Draconic Aspect), and so would be doing an additional 3 damage on each strike.

Also, sorry, everyone, for the early rising, but I don't think that Kulkav could ignore someone in distress. Maybe we could go to sleep again after this?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry to rain on your parades, but I think you counted the rat swarms twice.

XP awards so far (per character)

Dark Mantle: 75xp
    Rats: 75xp
    Rat Swarms: 300xp
    Stirges: 300xp

Total: 750xp

Correct me if I've forgotten an event.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2011-12-26 at 04:18 PM.