New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [PF] Updated and improved Cleric Domains

Hey guys,

As a project for my upcoming homebrew Pathfinder Campaign, I've decided on looking into updating and improving many of the Cleric Domains. Mainly the ones that suck. You know which ones I'm talking about *Cough*. So, I'm coming up with ideas on how to make ALL of the domains viable for players to use, as well as retaining their flavor lore-wise.

The general changes include: All domains now have some kind of passive bonus, similar to how the Darkness domain gives a bonus feat or the travel domain gives Fast Movement. Some are feats, others are bonus abilities or increased caster level. Some domains did not gain new things, as they're already strong. Other changes include better spells, modified abilities, making ALL abilities (Su) instead of (Sp), therefore none of them provoke AoO's.

This is a work in progress, and I'm interested in feedback. I won't be touching subdomains for now, only focusing on primary domains. Also, this is a homebrew world, which means new gods. They'll be mentioned later.

Air:
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Domain:
    Deities:
    Granted Powers: You can manipulate lightning, mist, and wind, traffic with air creatures, and are resistant to electricity damage. You gain Lightning Reflexes as a bonus feat. Added the Lightning Reflexes feat, as you would think a cleric of the air domain, dealing with powers of wind and electricity, would be a bit more agile on his feet. Plus it had the word "Lightning" in it.. :P

Lightning Blade (Su): As a swift action, you can imbue your weapon with the power of electricity, allowing it to deal +1d6 Electricity damage on hit. This is exactly like the Shock weapon ability, but the weapon imbued does not need to be magical. If the weapon already has the Shock ability, this ability will upgrade it to Shocking Burst. It gains no additional benefit if the weapon already has Shocking Burst. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom Modifer, and you can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom Modifier. A major change to the previous ability (The 1d6+1/2 cleric level electricity ranged touch attack), this one allows the cleric to buff his weapon with electricity, increasing his melee capabilities within his chosen domain. As the cleric specializes in wind and electricity, it makes sense that he'd always have an electric weapon at his disposal. The "Lightning Arc" ability was fairly weak at low levels, and just got worse as the cleric leveled up.

Electricity Resistance (Ex): At 5th level, you gain resist electricity 10. This resistance increases to 20 at 10th level. This resistance increases again to 30 at 15th level. At 20th level, you gain immunity to electricity. A small buff to this, the cleric gains it a level earlier, upgrades it two levels earlier at 10, upgrades it again at 15th, and then keeps his immunity to it at max level. Keeps to the theme of his mastery of electricity.

Domain Spells: 1st - Shocking Grasp, 2nd - Windwall, 3rd - Lightning Bolt, 4th - Air Walk, 5th - Control Winds, 6th - Chain Lightning, 7th - Elemental Body IV (Air Only), 8th - Whirlwind, 9th - Elemental Swarm (Air Only) Only changes here are the 1st and 3rd level spells, giving him some offensive options instead of Obscuring Mist and Gaseous Form.

Animal:
    Spoiler
    Show

Animal Domain:
    Deities:
    Granted Powers: You can speak with and befriend animals with ease. In addition, you treat Handle Animal (CHA) as a class skill, and gain Skill Focus (Handle Animal) as a bonus feat. Makes sense that a cleric of the ANIMAL domain can actually work with and train animals better. The only issue now is that without Knowledge (Nature), he may have a somewhat difficult time identifying said animals.. so I may need to add that back in as a class skill as well.

Animal Aspect (Su): As a swift Action, you can take on an animal aspect, gaining either a Bite Attack, Gore Attack, or two Claw Attacks equal to an animal of your size. (1d4 for Claws, 1d6 for Bite and Gore) You are automatically proficient in these weapons, and are all considered primary attacks, unless used in conjuction with a weapon, in which case they are considered a secondary attack. You also gain +1 Natural Armor, increasing by +1 for every 5 character levels (Max +5 at level 20). This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom Modifier, and you can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom Modifier. In the case of a Druid using this ability while shapeshifted, or being shapeshifted through other means such as spells, it instead enhances the natural attack chosen by one size category. A major, but in my personal opinion, much much needed buff from arguably worst domain ability ever. Speak with Animals that was measured in rounds was horrible. Now, the cleric can demonstrate his mastery of the animal kingdom by growing closer to it, gaining a natural attack. This can either allow the cleric a secondary attack, or allow him to focus on natural attacks in the first place.

Animal Companion (Ex): At 4th level, you gain the service of an animal companion. Your effective druid level for this animal companion is equal to your cleric level – 3. (Druids who take this ability through their nature bond class feature use their druid level – 3 to determine the abilities of their animal companions). Not changed at all, as this was already a good ability, and the sole purpose previously of taking the domain.

Domain Spells: 1st: Charm Animal, 2nd: Animal Aspect, 3rd - Dominate Animal, 4th - Summon Nature's Ally IV (Animals only), 5th - Beast Shape III (Animals Only), 6th - Eagle Aerie, 7th - Animal Shapes, 8th - Summon Nature's Ally VIII (Animals only), 9th - Shapechange A few minor changes that help allow the cleric to control animals to a better degree. Eagle Aerie is almost like a group Overland Flight, with a few drawbacks.

Artifice:
    Spoiler
    Show

Artifice Domain:
    Deities: Svetod,
    Granted Powers: You can repair damage to objects, animate objects with life, create objects from nothing, and enhance arms and armor. You can cast Mending at will with a Standard Action, using your cleric level as the caster level to repair damaged objects. You also gain Skill Focus in one Craft skill of your choice. Mending was already an ability of the Artifice Domain, and I simply altered it to make it a standard action instead of a 10 minute casting time. It also makes sense to allow Artifice clerics a way to craft better.

Enhance Arms and Armor (Su): As a standard action, you can touch a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or 50 pieces of ammunition and magically enhance them, giving them a +1 Enhancement Bonus. This stacks with any current enchantments on the item. At 5th level, 10th level, 15th, and 20th levels the enhancement bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. This effect lasts for one minute, and may be used a number of times equal to 3 + your Wisdom Modifier. This domain ability I'm a bit at odds with myself on. It seems like it might be a bit overpowered. Its basically similar, but better than, the Magus' Arcane Pool, with the exception of not being able to add special weapon properties, but being able to affect armor and shields as well.

Dancing Weapon (Su): At 8th level, as a Standard action, you may give a weapon wielded the Dancing Quality for a number of rounds per day equal to your Cleric Level. These rounds need not be used consecutively. Only one weapon may be affected at a time. The user may end the effect as a free action. The weapon attacks immediately after the user's turn ends. Mainly increased the amount of time a cleric can do this, and allowed him to be able to spread out the rounds he uses it, instead of it being clumped together in 4-round increments with daily uses. May end up making it 1/2 your cleric level per day in rounds instead of your cleric level.

Domain Spells: 1st - Crafter's Fortune, 2nd - Magic Vestment, 3rd: Greater Magic Weapon, 4th - Fabricate, 5th - Major Creation, 6th - Wall of Iron, 7th - Control Construct, 8th - Polymorph Any Object, 9th - Crushing Hand Got rid of a couple of the repairing spells, as the Cleric already had those, and gave him some spells he did not have access too that fits within the theme of a domain geared towards crafting, repairing, and enhancing.

Chaos:
    Spoiler
    Show

Chaos Domain:
    Deities:
    Granted Powers: Your Touch infuses life and Weapons with Chaos, and you revel in all things Anarchic. All spells with the Chaos Descriptor are cast at a +1 Caster Level. Only change here was to give the Chaos domain a +1 to caster level for chaos spells, which is in the theme of the 3.5 domain. This domain is already pretty good.

Touch of Chaos (Su): You can imbue a target with chaos as a melee touch attack. For the next round, anytime the target rolls a d20, he must roll twice and take the less favorable result. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier. The only change to this great ability was to make it (Su) instead of (Sp), so it does not provoke an AoO anymore.

Chaos Blade (Su): At 8th level, as a Standard Action, you can give a weapon touched the anarchic special weapon quality for a number of rounds equal to your cleric level. These rounds need not be used consecutively, and only one weapon may be affected at a time. The caster may end the effect as a free action. Gave it double the rounds it previously had, but instead of uses/day, it can now be spread out.

Domain Spells: 1st - Protection from Law, 2nd - Align Weapon (Chaos Only), 3rd - Magic Circle against Law, 4 - Chaos Hammer, 5th - Dispel Law, 6th - Animate Objects, 7th - Word of Chaos, 8th - Cloak of Chaos, 9th - Summon Monster IX (Chaos Only) No changes were made here.

Charm:
    Spoiler
    Show

Charm Domain:
    Deities:
    Granted Powers: You can baffle and befuddle foes with a touch or a smile, and your beauty and grace are divine. You gain Spell Focus (Enchantment) as a bonus feat. While enchantment spells aren't a clerics strong point, the feat works with Dazing Touch and the domain spells, increasing their DC. I'm not 100% happy with choosing this feat for the domain, so I may look around for something better.

Dazing Touch (Su): You can cause a living creature to become dazed for 1 round as a melee touch attack. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your cleric level are allowed a Will saving throw equal to 10 + 1/2 your Cleric Level + your Charisma Modifier. This ability is affected as if it was an enchantment spell, thus feats that increase the DC of your enchantment spells affect this ability. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier. There were only two changes to this feat - It is now (Su) instead of (Sp), and it still works on creatures with higher HD than your cleric, but gives them the option of a Will Save. Overall, the original abilility is still there, just a bit more useful.

Charming Smile (Su): At 8th level, as a swift Action, you may attempt to charm a living creature as if using the Dominate Person spell. The DC to resist this ability is equal to DC 10 + 1/2 your Cleric Level + your Charisma Modifier. You can only have one creature dominated in this way at a time. The total number of rounds of this effect per day is equal to your Cleric level. The rounds do not need to be consecutive, and you can dismiss the charm at any time as a free action. Each attempt to use this ability consumes one round of its duration, whether or not the ability succeeds. At 15th level, this ability instead acts as Dominate Monster. At 20th level, it may also affect undead, and non-mindless monsters who are normally immune to mind-affecting effects. What once was a useless ability (Charm Person measured in rounds/day) is now a useful Dominate Person ability on command, still measured in Rounds/day, but allows you to force them to do your bidding while you control them. All with just a smile. I feel that as a Cleric with the Charm Domain, being able to.. charm people.. is their focus, so this works out well. At 20th level, they can even charm the undead, they're so charming.

Domain Spells: 1st - Charm Person, 2nd - Unnatural Lust, 3rd - Suggestion, 4th - Charm Monster, 5th - Dominate Person, 6th - Mass Suggestion, 7th - Waves of Ecstasy, 8th - Demand, 9th - Dominate Monster Moved some of these spells around, added a few new ones (Unnatural Lust and Waves of Ecstasy.. giggity), and made it so this cleric can use his domain to its fullest.

Community:
    Spoiler
    Show

Community Domain:
    Deities:
    Granted Powers: Your touch can heal wounds, and your presence instills unity and strengthens emotional bonds. In addition, you gain one teamwork feat that you meet the Prerequisites for. This feat may be changed at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level. Any allies adjacent to the Cleric gain the benefits of the feat as if they had the feat themselves. Because this domain is about strength in community, I gave them a bonus teamwork feat of their choice (Changable at the mentioned levels) and allows them to pass that feat onto adjacent allies, allowing the cleric and his allies to work together better. This is similar to the Cavalier ability, but they must be adjacent to the Cleric, which means it loses some of its versatility.

Calming Touch (Su): You can touch a creature as a standard action to heal it of 1d6 points of nonlethal damage + 1 point per cleric level. This touch also removes the fatigued, shaken, and sickened conditions. At level 9, this may also remove one of the following per use: Exhausted, Nauseated, or Frightened, in addition to all three of the lesser effects. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier. This is basically a Mercy without the healing benefit, allowing the community cleric to help rejuvenate his allies. At level 9, it becomes more useful.

Unity (Su): At 8th level, whenever a spell or effect targets you and one or more allies within 30 feet, you can use this ability to allow your allies to use your saving throw against the effect in place of their own. Each ally must decide individually before the rolls are made. Using this ability is an immediate action. You can use this ability once per day at 8th level, and one additional time per day for every four cleric levels beyond 8th. I did not change this ability at all, as it is potentially very powerful or very weak depending on how well the cleric rolls.

Domain Spells: 1st—bless, 2nd—shield other, 3rd—prayer, 4th—imbue with spell ability, 5th—telepathic bond, 6th—heroes' feast, 7th—refuge, 8th—mass cure critical wounds, 9th—miracle. Didn't change these at all, as they are excellent spells that fit the theme well.

This is all I have so far, more will be coming soon! Whatcha think?
    Last edited by Crustypeanut; 2012-11-26 at 09:05 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Where did you start yours?
    In a Gladiatorial Arena.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [PF] Updated and improved Cleric Domains

A quick read through the list shows that they are well made, but somewhat powerful. All of them seem better than even the best domains from the core rulebook.

Do you have any plans to balance this out some some small nerf to clerics, or are you simply giving them a buff?

Have you considered adding a save to the Touch of Chaos? that ability in particular seems very powerful against any BBEG or encounter boss.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the Touch of Chaos I did not change with the exception of making it (Su) instead of (Sp). It already did not allow a save, as there is no mention anywhere in the Cleric listing of any of the abilities, with the exception of those specifically mentioning it, allowing a save.

As of right now, there were a few domains that were already fairly powerful, such as the Chaos, Luck, and Travel Domains in particular.

If they do seem too powerful though, I'll do a test run using them once I get them all done so I can see how they fare. I do want them to be more powerful than they once were, otherwise few people would use them, unless they specifically wanted the flavor for it. Now that I think about it, I think a few of these may be a bit too powerful.. but this is a work in progress, so I'll look at it.

I'm going to go through it right now and add an explaination of why I changed each of the changes.
    Last edited by Crustypeanut; 2012-11-26 at 03:45 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    In a Gladiatorial Arena.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I agree that they seem more powerful than the average core domain. I think some things, like the Animal Domain's Speak with Animals ability, are in there to compensate for others, like the Animal Domain's companion.

Did you think about boiling these down to subdomains? They do basically all of what you're looking for - change an ability or two, switch out some domain spells, focus the theme - without outright overwriting a mechanic. You could easily make your redone Air domain be the Lightning subdomain or Electric subdomain. The redone Artifice domain could become the Crafting, Smithing, or Arms subdomain. It would also give you a little more flexibility in redesigning things.
    "By 'for fun' do you mean 'to kill us?'" - Me, about the DM rolling a d20 several times for no known reason.

"You have my sword." - the Fighter.
    "And my bow." - the Ranger.
    "And my acts!" - me, the Bard.

My Final Fantasy Homebrew and Pathfinder Updating! PEACH always welcome.

Current Homebrew:
    PF "Dragon Shaman" - Paladin Alternate Class

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I could possibly make 'em subdomains.. it would allow the players to keep the current abilities if they like 'em, while also offering them (and myself when making npcs) alternatives that are a bit more useful. I'll speak with one of the players about it, the one who's planning on rolling a cleric, see what he thinks.
    In a Gladiatorial Arena.