New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXVII

Open Field

Not wanting to repeat his previous mistake and make himself a sitting duck, Sir Hex runs for cover as soon as the colorful machine gun begins to rise out of the teatank, diving behind a nearby tree for safety. Considering that the sugar pellets are flying about at non-lethal speeds, it's unlikely they'll be able to cut though the old oak tree to strike Hex, although I suppose a lucky bullet might ricochet off the ground and hit him.

Either way, the gentleman of distinction is hardly about to wait around. "Excuse me, but it's none too polite to interupt someone's teatime by shooting at them, so I'd very much appreciate it if you'd stop!" He shouts, at the same time working at breaking down his walking stick into it's components. Sir Hex's walking stick is a rather unique device, a masterpiece of concealed weaponry containing not merely a sword, but also a detachable handle that doubles as a flintlock pistol, a set of lockpicks in a hollow compartment, and a scope that can be attached to the pistol for long range combat. In this case, Sir Hex is trying to detach the flintlock, as he's not quite crazy enough to charge a tank with only a sword.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Orc in the Playground

Hermitage of Dalachrech- Elezibethele

Spoiler
    Show
    "Don't worry, you won't have many duties. Now, come here and let me put it on. It's magic; if you displease me, I can send an electrical shock down it. It won't kill you, though; just hurt." It's also very hard to take off without the key.

Hermitage of Dalachrech- Azurelle

Spoiler
    Show
    Azurelle will, with the knife in one hand, walk to the brazier and pull out one of the iron rods. She'll then approach closer, and brand each on the upper right thigh- the open leg of the clothing, so it's harder to hide in the clothes she's given them. The brand is in the shape of a winged A. Azurelle smiles as she does, watching the slave's expressions for signs of pain and laughing if they scream. She'll move them if necessary to get to the thigh, though won't release any of them. When that is done to all three, she puts the rod back and, with her knife, carve a word into their skin of their left shoulder blade. One is 'Toy', one is 'Object' and the third is 'Slave'. The longer names will be given to the louder screamers, and she rubs a small amount of salt into the wound after.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhat Open Field]

A perfectly sane tactical decision for a perfectly insane wreck of a man! Ducking behind a tree that it might vouchsafe him shelter in his time of need is a wise choice, as that will foil The Mad Hatteress's toils undertaken with the overall goal of blasting Sir Hex with capsules of sugary goodness. That won't stop The Hatteress from pressing onward in administering the field testing of her ludicrous war machine.

The teatank revs up, which entails billows of steam erupting from the teakettle's spout. With that uproarious battle cry and a sufficient clattering, the tea tank wheels about its axis so that Hex's tree lies directly in its path before it accelerates toward it at a maddening speed! If Sir Hex isn't careful, he may find a teatank bearing down on him full force (or, simply, with all of its weight as is the case)! It's squashing time!

-----
    [Hermitage of Dalachrech- Elezibethele]

Spoiler
    Show
    Mine will approach Elezibethele so that he can be fettered. Ugh.

"What sort of thing might displease you, Mistress?"

Mine would like to know how to best vex Elezibethele...so that he can avoid peeving her, of course. >.<

[Hermitage of Dalachrech- Azurelle]

Spoiler
    Show
    Salt in the wound! Seriously? Good gods! Azurelle would make a terrible mother! Wincing, screaming, hollering, cringing, bawling, crying, fainting. If it is caused by pain, it happens here and now. This is a most unpleasant experience. How is this affecting the triplets mentally? It's changing them. It is fashioning them into things that I doubt Azurelle will enjoy bit by bit, ounce by ounce. And these things shall demand their own pound of flesh in time.

All in good time.

4. - Top - End - #1054

Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post
    [Somewhat Open Field]

A perfectly sane tactical decision for a perfectly insane wreck of a man!
    Perfectly insane wreck of a gentleman of distinction

Said crazy train wreck of an individual quickly makes another tactical decision as the topsy-turvy tank trundles towards his tree, specifically, he decides to get the heck out of there. Breaking cover, Sir Hex makes a dash for a nearby boulder, hoping that the tank won't be able to crush stone. In fact, he intends to insure it won't be crushing anything anytime soon, firing at the treads twice with his flintlock as he runs.

At this point it would be relevant to mention that the flintlock is magic, and doesn't use mere bullets ammunition. Rather, it spews projectiles of silver flame, magical fire that's highly resistant to any attempts to extinguish it and can eat it's way through nearly anything, given enough time. The silver fire probably wouldn't be able to melt the teatank's hull fast enough to make a difference, but the delicate mechanisms that work the treads are likely far more vulnerable.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-11-13 at 03:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhat Open Field]

That fire is probably going to melt The Hatteress's rubber band driven propulsion system! Dang it! The tank skids to a halt, unable to continue onward! Blasts!

It isn't long before smoke begins to rise from the inside of the tank out of the lid. Thick smoke. The kind that kills you if you're exposed to it for too much time. The driver still hasn't abandoned the vehicle, probably on account of her being certifiably bonkers! This is bad. Yes. This is very bad.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Elezibethele will gently close the collar around Mine's neck, unless he resists. "I will be displeased if you do not make my bed in the morning, disobey my orders, are not fast enough at carrying out my orders or do anything which makes me angry, upset, frightened or sad. Now, ordinarily you will sleep there" Elezibethele points at the pet's basket "where your collar will be linked to that iron chain." Mine may note that the chain is long enough to reach the bed with some difficulty.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not much salt; enough to make the wound slightly more painful but probably not enough to cause fainting. Afterwards, though, Azurelle unchains them. "Put your clothes back on. And be quick." Azurelle watches again, licking her lips.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Somewhat Open Field

After a second or two, Hex pokes his head out from behind the boulder, regarding the smoking contraption with curiousity. No driver trying to escape the damaged vessel? An automaton perhaps? Or merely a very mad pilot, intending to go down with the ship? Either way, worth an investigation. Re-attaching the flintlock to the sword-cane's hilt, Sir Hex ventures out from behind the boulder and cautiously advances towards the teatank, ready to run right back to cover if it starts spraying candy-based bullets again.

Should the teatank continue to remain immobile long enough for Sir Hex to approach, he'll try to clamber up onto the mobile teapot and search for something resembling an escape hatch.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhat Open Field]

The teatank won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I suppose that the top could still rotate even with the propulsion system fried, but it won't, namely because the driver is too busy attending to other matters of greater significance. In these dire straits, The Hatteress's top priority should be escaping death, but she is currently engaged in an action she deems more important. She's trying to fix her machine from the interior in an attempt to restore it to its former glory. This attempt is, as expected, doomed to failure. It should be apparent that a driver is doing something within the machine, what with all the clunks that vibrate within the teakettle created whenever The Hatteress kicks assorted machinery and control systems in exasperation/frustration. As for escape hatches, there are none. It seems as though the lid served as the entrance before the candy machine gun burst through the top of the armored vehicle. It could, hypothetically, be rammed back into place if one desired to gain entry to the vehicle, but that'd be a lot of strenuous labor to invest in saving the life of one insane pilot.

-----

Spoiler
    Show
    Mine will not resist Elezibethele's attempt to fetter him, but there is now a question that begs to be answered rebounding off of the walls of Mine's mind.

"Well then, Mistress, what am I to do to keep you happy?"

Mine excludes the portion of this sentence explaining his motive which is, namely, so that he won't be shocked.

-----

Spoiler
    Show
    The drawn out acts of torture alone might be enough to induce fainting. The salt is more like an afterthought than the central issue here.

The slaves dress themselves as Azurelle has bade with some difficulty, as the open gashes on their shoulders are excruciatingly painful. They don their uniforms after a short while, though they are not snappy in their execution of this command, being wounded and all. The triplets are also probably still bleeding; their clothing might be ruined due to that fact.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "To keep me happy you will do whatever I order you to do, quickly and without complaint. If I seem upset you will whatever you can to comfort me in any way you can. You will make my bed in the morning. You will help me get dressed. You will submit willingly to any other punishment I ask of you. And, if I desire it, you will give me your body. I am not Azurelle, Mine; I will punish you if you displease me, but I don't take the same amount of pleasure from the pain of others as she does." But that's not to say she won't enjoy it occasionally.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hurry up." Azurelle puts the knife back and fetches a whip when they are about halfway dressed, then turn around slowly. If they are still dressing when she's completed the turn, the whip will lash out at any exposed flesh. I think there's more sets of clothing should the triplets require more.

10. - Top - End - #1060

Somewhat Open Field

True, it is quite a bit of trouble, but Sir Hex really wants to meet the soul mad enough to design such a ludicrous, laughable weapon. Plus, it's not like he really has anything better to do. Chaos tends to cause itself around here.

Grabbing the candy cannon, Sir Hex does his best to shove it back into place and clear the entrance, even as the haphazard vehicle shakes beneath his feet. Normally, the avatar of chaos's strength is well within human norms, but he can on occasion call forth a bit of his capricious magic to provide a surge of thoroughly inhuman might, as he does now.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-11-13 at 06:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Northern Mountain

"You're on a mountain about a hundred and fifteen steps east of NO." Vincent says, having actually just come from there.
    Vincent's unit of measurement is not close to anyone else's though, gotta say.

He looks up.
    "What'd you do, have a climbing accident?"
    Northern Mountain

"Nah. Just teleported into an alternate universe while standing on a mountain." came the reply. "By, the way? Don't do that."

There was a pause as Richard sat down on the drift. "Name's Richard - just call me Rich. But where am I? Y'know, which universe? And what's a NO?"
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Northern Mountain

"Right. Alternate universes. I suppose they're only alternate if you never actually get to them and they stay in the backstory and stuff." Vincent muses a bit.

"You're in the Nexus, Rich, and the Neutralist Organization is a mercenary group I'm a part of. We take jobs for gp and xp. I'm Vincent by the way."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2011-11-13 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhat Open Field]

The machine gun affixed to the top of the mechanical column pops and fizzles as it is swatted back into its chamber by the mighty Sir Hex! Black smoke with a hint of expensive perfume billows out of this now clear hole in the tank's defenses! Inside the belly of the machine stands a stunning woman. She's really a knockout, though one wouldn't be able to tell by glancing at her as she is right now. The Hatteress is attired in a black, leather vest, a plain, white dress shirt with the top button unfastened, revealing somewhere around half an inch of her cleavage, polished (shiny) black high-heeled combat boots, slim but tall white socks, and an elegant black skirt. She has even strapped a gas mask to her face to filter the air she is breathing! And don't forget the iconic 10/6 green top hat! She appears not to have noticed the breach in her tank's defenses that Hex has ingeniously created, as she continues to violently kick a multitudes of devices which have accrued in the control center of her vehicle!

-----

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the triplets are likely lashed, then, as I'm guessing that Azurelle isn't giving them enough time to finish up, though they are mostly dressed when Azurelle turns about, having hurried themselves along upon sighting Azurelle take up the whip. More screaming and general agony ensues.

-----

Spoiler
    Show
    "So I was purchased to, essentially, be your husband-butler, yes?"

Simple, sweet, and to the point.
    Last edited by The Alexandrian; 2011-11-13 at 07:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Halfling in the Playground

[Hermitage of Dalachrech - Percival]

Being spoken to as a peer is more than an alien experience for Eericka to encounter. It's a kind gesture but alarming all the same.

"Being selfish can be destructive, if it impinges on another's well-being or free-will."

Eericka boldly asserts. Girl's got moxie, I'll give her that.

"For example, if someone deprives someone else of their most basic needs for nothing more than the acquisition of that material wealth, is that not evil? It is indirectly sentencing another to death for one's own gain and one's own gain alone."
    "That's very true." Percival admits as they pass a column of those hunched, freakish temple warriors. Disguised araneas, if I recall. "But let me ask you one of the essential questions: what's wrong with destruction?" Percy doesn't sound like he's advocating a villainous path. At least, not right now. He merely wants Eericka's opinion.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #1065

Somewhat Open Field

Well, normally Sir Hex would hate to drop in uninvited, but considering the rather unusual circumstances, he wisely decides that a minor breach of etiquette could be overlooked.

Without saying anything that might announce his presence to the oblivious Hatteress, Hex quickly tries to reach down, grab the mad scientist by the shoulder and employ his superhuman strength to pull her out of the burning control center. After all, he is a gentleman (of distinction), and no gentleman would ever let a beautiful lady like the Hatteress remain in harms way if he could help it.

Well, in truth, Sir Hex is more concerned that she might actually manage to get the teatank working again. He would really rather avoid being blasted with hot tea again.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Pixie in the Playground

[Hermitage of Dalachrech - Percival]

Percival is clearly gearing up to corrupt Eericka. He's going to use all of the information she gives to him against her later on, isn't he?

"Destruction isn't intrinsically evil. Plague decimating a population is usually caused by unsanitary conditions. The thinning of the population allows for them to better allocate scarce resources to resolve this problem. However, destruction of a person's spirit is evil. Destroying what a person is and leaving only a shell behind... Death is a preferable fate. It's the merciful thing to do in this instance and others like it."

-----
    [Somewhat Open Field]

The Hatteress is scooped up by Sir Hex and yanked out of the tank! She is kicking and shouting incoherently, her words muffled by her gas mask. She is also flailing, doing everything in her power to make Sir Hex's attempt to separate her from her tank difficult.

Grr! Why did Nexus people have to be so crazy? Why didn't Hex just flee like any sane person! Leave the insane girl alone! Touching one of those things is dangerous! Proximity to a person with a malady that contagious is extremely hazardous! That stuff spreads like wildfire!
    Last edited by The Alexandrian; 2011-11-13 at 08:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1067

Hermitage of Dalechrech - Percival

Unfortunately. Even if she sees it coming, Percy's sure he can wear her down.

"An interesting philosophy. I like that." Percival confesses, smiling. A smile takes his face back years, to the bright-eyed young soldier who was once so eager to serve his country. He's just as eager now, of course, but for very different reasons. "But we demons... we don't wish to destroy the spirit. We want to control it. Do you understand?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Pixie in the Playground

[Hermitage of Dalechrech - Percival]

Eericka might not have actually seen through the haze to Percival's underlying motives...at least not until he mentioned demons' goals for souls again.

"I do understand that the sole purpose of most demons is to harness spirit energy for their own agendas. What I do find entertaining about it all, and please don't take offense to this, is that demons are 'barking up the wrong tree.' You see, 'my' soul is technically not my own. It's the supreme being's. I can't give it away because it isn't and has never been mine."

A conceptually sound ideology, even if it so happens to be devoid of any veracity in reality. Eericka even has the gall (or good sense, depending on the outcome of this decision) to return Percy's robust smile. She probably doesn't pick up on the reason responsible for Percy's smiling, which I'm supposing is Eericka's lack of aversion to killing and death in general.
    Last edited by The Alexandrian; 2011-11-13 at 09:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069

Somewhat Open Field

Sir Hex isn't very concerned about catching the crazies from the Hatteress. He's already about as unhinged as one can get without being entirely unable to function in society.

Rather, he's concerned with getting the Hatteress to stop flailing about like that. Not only is it making holding onto her quite difficult, it's also quite likely he gets punched once or twice during the struggle. Worse yet, his briefly boosted strength is fast fading, and soon enough he won't be strong enough to restrain the very mad scientist.

Seeing as she'll probably try to stab him or something the moment Hex lets her go, this leaves him with very few options. "Really quite sorry 'bout this." He mutters, before trying to bash the Hatteress over the head with his walking stick, using the last of his magical might in an attempt to knock her out.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-11-13 at 10:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070

Eericka might not have actually seen through the haze to Percival's underlying motives...at least not until he mentioned demons' goals for souls again.

"I do understand that the sole purpose of most demons is to harness spirit energy for their own agendas. What I do find entertaining about it all, and please don't take offense to this, is that demons are 'barking up the wrong tree.' You see, 'my' soul is technically not my own. It's the supreme being's. I can't give it away because it isn't and has never been mine."

A conceptually sound ideology, even if it so happens to be devoid of any veracity in reality. Eericka even has the gall (or good sense, depending on the outcome of this decision) to return Percy's robust smile. She probably doesn't pick up on the reason responsible for Percy's smiling, which I'm supposing is Eericka's lack of aversion to killing and death in general.
    "But a great many mortals have done just that. My, ah, employer was once a bit like yourself." Percival says, looking down at Eericka curiously. She is a rather hardy creature, isn't she...

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Pixie in the Playground

[Somewhat Open Field]

Have you ever tried knocking on a ripe watermelon? That noise and the noise which results form the striking of The Hatteress's noggin are analogous for all intents and purposes. With a weak "Mmgl..." The Hatteress is knocked out cold thanks to the powers of smashing someone's skull in with enhanced strength and a wooden walking stick.

She'll be fine. She'll likely be enraged, but Hex's solution to her troublesome mannerisms won't leave her permanently damaged...probably.

But The Hatteress wouldn't have attempted to stab Sir Hex with a knife were she conscious! Never! Why the very thought of doing such a thing never crossed The Hatteress's mind! Nope!

The Hatteress isn't proficient with knives in the least. She was going to attempt to beat Hex's skull in with a giant mallet, but he sorta already did that with a walking stick... >.<

-----

Hardy. That's a nice way to describe Eericka. I would've chosen stubborn, pigheaded, or maybe even tenacious (on a good day), but hardy suits her much better.

Eericka doesn't seem very phased by all of these events on the exterior, but inside, she's a real mess. She appears to have adopted a stony expression in order to mask her inner fears. Even her voice doesn't betray her! That's what being treated like an animal for sixteen long years did to her. It takes its toll on everyone, though it often demands different payments from different individuals.

"Then the demons accepting these deals have been had."

"As for your employer, you wouldn't be referring to that bug-thing, would you?"

22. - Top - End - #1072

[Hermitage of Dalechrech

Sooner or later, that facade will have to slip. All Percy needs to do is wait.

Percival laughs at that. It has a subtly mocking quality, but not enough that it seems intentional. "They certainly didn't act cheated. As for Dalechrech... not exactly. I have yet to get more familiar with the lord of invertebrates."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-11-13 at 11:27 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #1073

Somewhat Open Field

Hex winces a little at the results of his handiwork, but he can't deny that inflicting a little blunt trauma on the annoying Hatter wasn't quite satisfying. Least he could do after she pretended to be a figment of his imagination, blasted him with scalding hot tea, tried to shoot him, and in general thoroughly ruined his picnic. Really, when you can't have a quiet, peaceful brunch in a quiet, previously peaceful meadow without some nutter trying to run you over with a mobile teapot, well, what's the world coming to?

Attempting to throw the unconscious Hatteress over his shoulder in a fireman's carry, Sir Hex hops down from his perch atop the now decommissioned teapot tank, taking a moment to collect his breath before ambling off in the general direction of where he left his house, likely taking the Hatteress with him.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-11-14 at 12:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Northern Mountain

"Right. Alternate universes. I suppose they're only alternate if you never actually get to them and they stay in the backstory and stuff." Vincent muses a bit.

"You're in the Nexus, Rich, and the Neutralist Organization is a mercenary group I'm a part of. We take jobs for gp and xp. I'm Vincent by the way."
    "The Nexus, eh? Well, as long as the laws of physics can't be summed up as 'roll d20' then it'll do. Good to meet you, Vincent."

He looks around until he finds what is presumably NO. gp and xp, huh? Wouldn't be a bad place to start.
    "Are you recruiting?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steilos

Skills
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Northern Mountain

"What's a d20?" Vincent asks, apparently having never heard of one.
    "No, we use a turn based engine in this game. And an exorbitant amount of very annoying cut scenes." Vincent scowls a little.

"The boss is always looking for new recruits. His name's Dipsnig if you're headed that way."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

26. - Top - End - #1076

"A twenty sided die. Imagine that every single time you wanted to do something, like, say, shoot someone, a die was rolled. And now imagine that if you rolled a one you would shoot yourself in the face." Rich scowled. "That's why I wanted out. But enough about that."

Rich turned to head towards NO. "Thanks for the directions. See you around."

And off he goes, heading nor- sou- we- uh... In the direction of money.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steilos

Skills
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right. Well, so long. Mind the random monsters."

Vincent continues on his way, heading away from NO.
    Step. Stop. Step. Stop. Step.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "More of a butler-husband, in that besides the fact you won't wear clothing around the Hermitage there will be little sex involved, although the amount might change over time." If Mine's reaction to the sex is willing and enthusiastic, it might increase. If it's unwilling and tortured, it might decrease. Though it would depend on her mood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Azurelle will only give one lash, no matter what. "Now, follow me." She'll grab at Toy's hand when all three are dressed and walk back to her room. She'll squeeze more tightly than before.

Out of curiosity, which name did the one Azurelle raped get, given that she gave longer names to those that screamed more for the branding? If Toy, then Azurelle will likely grab at Slave's hand instead.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hidden Cave]

Traversing the events that brought me to this point was difficult. More wearing than I had previously believed. Though, I had to admit, liberating in some places. It's like... sometimes the weight I have placed on my shoulders is doubled, and sometimes it is removed.

It was emotionally draining either way. Frequent naps were required, since actual sleep came rarely. I had to stay alert. I was fortunate to have my bear with me. It provided a measure of comfort I needed to stay sane. To stay focused. Though I dare not speak to her, lest someone chance to overhear me. A risk I cannot take. I have taken up thinking to her instead, as an alternative to pass the time between my work and rest.

Invisible Reinholdt kitty scribbles in a book, under an umbrella inside a cave. Propped against the wall across from him is a teddy bear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #1080

Drychalk Hill

About ten minutes drive from Riverside is a small, peaceful, quiet town. Drychalk rarely sees any visitors, and trouble is even rarer. Why, it's the most serene town this side of anywhere! 'Peaceful' is easy, when there's not a single living resident, and 'few visitors' goes hand in hand with the strange rumors about Drychalk that circulate the nearby country side.

The rumors likely have much to do with the strange mist that seems to cling to the town like a persistant cloud of grey, concealing what goes on within beyond the stone walls that surround the humble villa, never lifting nor lightening it's grasp upon the tiny burg. In rain, sleet, hail or bright sunshine the fog persists, and those who dare to venture near report that within the obscuring folds of the mist, a deathly chill pervades the air, even during the peak of the summer season.

Of the town, little is known. Only a few have ever been brave enough to wade through the fog to find what it hides, and all swear by the same tale. At the heart of the mist is a serene, almost eerily idyllic little neighborhood; rows of identical houses, surrounded by vibrant green, well cut lawns and white picket fences, streets and sidewalks clean enough that you could eat off them, the sound of music in the air, and not a single soul in sight.

More ominous still is the wall that encircles the entire town, a stone fence with glowing runes carved into it's surface. Runes of sanguine red and azure blue. Runes of protection, of binding and warding. Runes carved into the inside face of the wall. Runes meant to trap something inside, rather than keep people out. And then there are the monoliths. Five great metal obelisks rise from the earth around Drychalk, marking the very edge of the mist, marking the spot where any sane man would turn back. Around these obelisks whirls an ever-present gale, a fierce wind that never ceases, not even for an instant, the hum of hidden machinery just barely audible beneath the howling of the wind.

What a cheery little town!