New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXVII

[KNAVES Castle]

At the height of its power, KNAVES had a very clear purpose for ostentatious design and fear-mongering.
    It got the people to obey the law.

But now, without their forceful presence behind it, the architecture does seem a little unnecessarily over the top.
    Oh well. Doesn't matter too much.

There are absolutely no signs of guards or air-defenses of any sort.
    Although, magic-detection would reveal a faint field of some sort around the building. The field won't appear to do much, or hinder flight, however.

The courtyard is certainly large enough for landing, as the last group of visitors tried something similar, if memory serves.
    Although they had a slightly more inconvenient time with being attacked, as well.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Barbarian in the Playground

[KNAVES Castle]

Given that the airbike was probably smaller than the landing party of times past (it was only a two-seater at best), the actual landing would probably be easier even if Ghoul was currently under fire. The thing was surprisingly nimble after all.

During her trek from the Remnant station to where she had stored her vehicle out in the streets, Ghoul had donned a set of tactical armor that had seen some extensive modification. She also had slipped on an odd armband that had a collection of hexagonal metal plates all the way around. The shape itself wasn't odd but the way it seemed to hook into the armor was suspect.

Finally, pulling out what was almost her trademark, Ghoul checked the chamber of her 'carbine' and activated her internal suite of detection and targeting gear. One visual sweep later and the muse would go for the front door if the area was clear.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

The area is most definitely clear.
    Of everything save a few scorch marks and what looks suspiciously like the wreck of some other sort of flying bike.

But beyond that, completely clear.
    As a matter of fact...almost the entire castle is completely clear.
    Even a little dusty.

The opening hall even has cobwebs in the corners, save for one, which holds the not-entirely-in-one-piece body of an old man, which is most certainly not as old as the various piles of dust. He seems recent.
    None of the area around him is any more disturbed than would be necessary from a falling body, however.

Again, aside from this particular detail, everything seems completely dull.
    A little exploration will reveal that a particular set of stairs leading down into the depths of the castle seem a bit less dusty than everything else, however, implying more recent activity.

The wispy, fog-like darkness cloying over the steps probably hints that this is the correct path as well.
    This is the part where the building starts to get very cold, and Ghoul can feel completely justified in being paranoid.

She approaches the den of a mad shade.
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #1324

[KNAVES Castle]

It was times like these that Ghoul was especially glad that she invested in an array of sensory enhancement gear. Specifically, thermal imaging and sonar. Sure, the former was limited to her field of vision but the latter was good to about forty meters which made close quarters combat and even just general detection that much easier. It wouldn't detect the wholly immaterial but given that the majority population was corporeal, this was acceptable.

Given that she had simply come to talk, the muse's entry would be at a more 'at rest' position so as to not encourage any unnecessary hostilities. Body language was rather important in these situations as it did a lot to keep some jittery idiot with a gun from firing blindly. It would be just a half-moment's delay before she could get into a firing position but usually her array of equipment could alert her to danger or a surprise attack enough in advance for that not to matter.

Hopefully Edict would be home at the moment and wouldn't terribly mind her trespassing.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

Those that know Edict would highly suspect the shade's tolerance of trespassers.
    He's not known for being friendly. Or accomadating.
    Or anything remotely positive.

He is also not warm, unfortunately for her thermal imaging equipment.
    The Provost is very cold, so there's that, but the temperature of the castle is steadily dropping with each step, with the density of the shadows.

Overly evil and menacing again? Probably.
    But no one has ever accused him of atmospheric originality before.

Step. Step. Step.
    Very quiet in here, in these stones and darkness.
    Step. Step. Step.
    Kind of boring, really.

"I was trying to sleep."
    Oh wait, here we go.
    Two green dots appear on the wall to the left, the little flames of the shade's eyes. He appears to be lurking within the wall.
    "I will assume you are either with one of the Orgs, Remnant, or another idiot the dragon witch snared.
    On the off chance I'm wrong, I'll be killing you in a moment."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #1326

[KNAVES Castle]

Ghoul really wished she could say she was surprised. Unfortunately, she's more or less conditioned to expect something will be trying to kill her at any time by now. She managed to keep the overt paranoia down by simply having a good grasp of the area and keeping an eye out for potential danger.

Fighting something that could pass through matter was going to be a drag, however. Though, listening to Edict's statement, there may be a way to avoid conflict... At least for a while.

"I have business with Fiea." the muse said, doing her best to keep her annoyance at the situation out of her voice. "That is all I am here for and I'd rather not fight you. Given what I've heard, I'd be crazy to make the attempt." That last part was untrue but some veiled flattery probably shouldn't hurt.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

There is an audible hiss of distaste at the mere mention of Feia's name.
    Edict very clearly doesn't like her.

His desire to simply tear Ghoul apart and toss her over Inside has risen dramatically, but what if she was important to one of the witch's little schemes?
    It would only fall back poorly on him, and he's had more than enough of her experiments.

"Tss..ten minutes of my time. That is all you have.
    Speak your business."

The green flares drift out of the wall, sitting within a largely transparent, human-shaped mass of (you guessed it) shadow. All of its body language speaks of frustration and poorly-vented anger, as it stands before her.
    Being a shade, there's not much else for him to be made of.
    Certainly not ponies.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2011-12-01 at 10:55 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #1328

[KNAVES Castle]

Well this was a lovely situation. While the delaying tactic had worked, the end result had probably increased the possibility for an altercation. Being terrible at filibuster, the muse decided that a few tweaks on explaining the situation would be best. Feia seemed to have some sort of say over the shade so perhaps she could use this to her advantage.

"I need to locate her as there is some information I obtained from Remnant that she might possibly find interesting. I'd rather not speak of the specifics with others. I can just wait somewhere out of your hair if she isn't in." Ghoul said. That was pretty much the truth but the spin on it might just imply she was just some agent of Feia's. She made double-sure that her delivery of the statement was as if she was expected. That is to say, in a calm 'I'm just doing my job' tone to help seal the deal. That was the trick to bluffing, not overtly claiming to be a part of a group but simply and subtly implying that one belongs and that such should be blatantly obvious.

It was actually pretty effective most of the time.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-12-01 at 11:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

While it isn't particularly noticible, as his eyes are merely glowing lights, Edict is glancing Ghoul over, taking in her presently-equipped status and appearance.
    Not a mage.

He crosses his arms and continues to glower at her. Or maybe smile at her.
    It's rather impossible to tell, with a distinct lack of concrete facial details.
    Shade still sounds grumpy though.
    "The witch has no been within these walls in many weeks.
    If she is expecting you, she will find you."

Every time he says the word "witch" there is nothing but utter contempt consuming his voice. He clearly despises her.
    Not that he really has any right to hate anyone, considering his hobbies and past, but he does it anyway.
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #1330

[KNAVES Castle]

Definitely not a mage. Depending on if this makes her less of a threat in Edict's eyes is to be seen, though. With luck she'll be underestimated if they cannot come to an agreement.

"It's not something I'd like to let sit around for any length of time and it's not like she's even told me anything about her business. Hell, I had to find this place on my own. Besides, it'll be beneficial for both of us if you know where I could find her, though. I'll be able to leave and that means you can have your solitude back." the muse said in plain terms, all her words still technically true. She hadn't changed her stance since she had entered the room save to turn her head toward the wraith.

Just to be safe, though, she hadn't deactivated her sensory equipment. In fact, it was probably a good idea to set it to mapping the area via sonar. Or, at least the area within forty meters. That would probably be enough and having a map of the area would help if she suddenly needed to navigate around the area.

11. - Top - End - #1331

In an Empty Field

A few cattle are grazing here, having found a hole in their farmer's fence and slipped away from the herd. The grass is bright green and inviting, perfect to just munch the day away.

For a moment, an ominous shadow crosses over their little patch of sun and heaven. It's all the warning they get before a diving freight train of scales and muscles barrels into one of them, scattering the rest as the unfortunate cow is nabbed by a grasping hindclaw.

The ebony-scaled dragon alights a hundred feet away, breathing on its kill to soften it up before tearing into its side.

He's likely to be distracted for quite a while.

((Closed post for Wolfy.))
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

The sonar equipment will be busily picking up nothing, up to this point.
    Not even Edict, who appears to be lacking in physical substance at the moment.

The shade is silent for a moment, considering this little bit of diplomatic offering.
    "Beneficial for both of us. Nothing to do with that woman is ever beneficial to anyone but her.
    If you have something at her request, she is aware and you are better off waiting.
    Or you're lying to me, an agent to some other cause. The witch is overdue for hunters."

It has been a very long time...since that dragon-slayer had attempted to tackle her, but sent home terrified and with his ancestral sword shattered.
    Disappointing performance, from Edict's perspective.

"Either event, your seeking me was ill-advised.
    I do not care for her policies and plots, nor am I permitted to passingly dispense information of her nature and whereabouts to every calling seeker.
    One of her other servants does and can, however, being of rather...
    intimate importance to her."

A sneering tone, halfway between the typical hatred and mockery.
    "We are at a slight impasse for this information...I desire to kill you for disturbing me over such a wretched matter, with the possible necessity to kill you as a threat to my 'dear and loving mistress'.
    How can we correct this, hm?"
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

Hill Near The Field

Three forms are laying on the far side of a hill, conversing as they look over the dragon with their insect scouts. Pat, with her War/Work form is speaking. "And that's when he kissed me!" She says before getting a dreamy glint in her eyes. A taller and slimmer brown ant-woman chuckles. Her antennae are longer, and her limbs are thin and elegant. She only has the two legs, but has four arms. Unlike her sisters, she's clothed in something akin to a dress without the midriff. "Sounds like you two deserve each other then." Lita says with a smirk.

The third member of the party snorts. "Can't say I see the appeal, since I just take what I need, but good luck." Jette says. Jette is a shorter red colored antwoman. She's also bipedal, but her limbs and armor are thicker. Her antennae are shorter as well, but her pincer-mandables are much longer and sharper than the other two's. Also unlike the other two, she has a pair of long wings on her back, allowing her to fly.

"Thanks sisters."
    Pat says. "And it looks like the dragon is busy now. Jette, if you could do the honors, we can begin." Jette chuckles at the request and gets to work.

A few moments later, the dragon might hear a buzz growing closer, and if it looks up, will see a fast paced red cloud moving towards it.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2011-12-02 at 01:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

An Empty Field

The dragon's sensitive snout picks up the cloud of insects long before its ears do. It doesn't drop its meal, too engrossed in the slaughter to be bothered by a group of such piddling creatures. If anything, they are merely early to feast on the carcass it shall leave behind, a symbiosis the dragon has observed many times before.

It does keep one eye on the insects though. A dragon doesn't get to be as old as it is without being paranoid.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

Empty Field

The flying swarm will pick up speed and before the dragon's eyes, it suddenly erupts into a mass of whirling flame aimed straight at the beast.

16. - Top - End - #1336

An Empty Field

Now fire, that's something it knows well. Maybe not as well as its rage-filled brethren, but well enough to know it should be avoided.

Lifting the wing closest to the cloud of burning insects, it gives a powerful wingbeat, both to disperse the bugs and move the dragon back a few steps in the other direction.

It raises its maw from the meal now, not quite dropping the cow, but attention fully focused on the bugs. A short snort lets loose a tiny puff of acidic vapor to try and intimidate them.

17. - Top - End - #1337

[KNAVES Castle]

"Well, the way I see it, you and I could come to an agreement of sorts. Maybe you have a few things that need doing and if I'm in the mood, I could get them done. I come back, you give me the information I'm looking for or at least where I can find this 'servant' and we both get out of each others faces from then on." Ghoul said, providing an alternative option.

"Alternately, we get medieval and one or both of us ends up dead or at least very beaten." Ghoul actually was looking forward to this second option but would prefer the first simply that it would leave her mostly fresh for what would assuredly be a rather dangerous battle with the 'dragon witch' later on. It was extremely rare for a powerful someone to come quietly simply by being asked. Not that it wasn't worth trying but the chances of it working were slim.

Either way, just in case, the muse moved a finger over the safety latch. It wouldn't be toggled just yet but it was better to be ready.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Empty Field

The swarm is parted by the gust of wind, but it spreads out right after, ignoring the threat of the acid breath as it tries to close with the Dragon, targeting the wings to try and make them useless so the creature can't escape.

19. - Top - End - #1339

An Empty Field

There are far too many insects for the dragon to keep track of at once, especially after they spread out, but it will keep moving backwards so that they can't completely flank it. It finally drops its meal to do so, more of the vapor spilling out over its lips.

When they catch up with it, a few most certainly burning holes through its wings, it lets out the breath it had been holding. The acid fog doesn't out out in a wave or a line, but falls to the ground and pools around its feet as the beast exhales slowly.

The cloud that it's trying to lead them through might not do anything to the ants itself, although it is highly caustic, but since there is very little oxygen in the cloud it should extinguish those that stay in it too long.

Its trick doon, the dragon lets out a brief roar in pain as more ants burn at its wings.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

"The servant is within the city, likely, a frequenter of bars and a member of at least one of the organizations.
    All you need, I imagine, is his name."

Ghoul's sonar will begin to pick up something, now. A small, diminutive figure further down the stairs.
    It appears to be roughly the size of a teddy bear, but several of its proportions are dreadfully wrong.

"But I still like the idea of a little...skirmish."
    He sounds slightly less angry at that idea, and more engaged.
    Looking forward to it.

He makes no motion towards any weaponry that doesn't appear to exist, or any magicks.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2011-12-02 at 08:44 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #1341

[KNAVES Castle]

Skirmish? Fantastic.

The thing coming down the stairs appeared to be small, though, so it would probably be better if she used a sidearm... Or, at least, what she considered a sidearm. Given that the stairs were behind her, she felt it would be best to keep it secret that she knew where a potential attack was coming from and act at near the last moment. While this was a gamble, it would also hide some of her capabilities from the Wraith.. Which in turn would keep him from being able to let Feia know anything if he were to pass on his observations. While he didn't seem to like the dragon-sorceress at all, the fact that they apparently had an agreement meant that she had to be careful, just in case.

"You don't say?" She asked, taking a few steps forward, complementing her question with a somewhat cocky swagger. "So, how are we going to do this?" Ghoul asked, continuing to play her role.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

The shade gives no ground in the face of Ghoul's advance, looking on almost imperiously.
    "The only rule is live, if you wish to claim your name."

Edict holds his arms out of to the sides, a direct and clear challenge.
    If it was possible to see features on his face, he'd undoubtedly be wearing a cruel little grin.

The figure on the stairs continues a steady, quiet approach.
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #1343

[KNAVES Castle]

So, the shade was apparently trying to goad her into attacking while possibly setting up a sneak attack or at least a pincer strike. Either way, attacking one would leave her open towards the other... But even then, that would be breaking the first rule of fighting in unfamiliar or unmapped territory. Never attack first. Usually, letting one's opponent act first while on their own turf would slightly tip their hand. That and it was generally stupid to be running around in an area where it would be possible for a team to become overextended quickly. Being alone meant that she had some leeway and more mobility but she preferred playing defensive for the opening rounds so she could assess the opposition. Sure, there were many occasions where this could be overlooked or where striking first was better but those were situations where the reward outweighed the risk.

"Survive, eh? Funny thing, that. 'S what I do best" Ghoul said, altering her stance and toggling the safety on her gun. She wouldn't change weapons just yet as that would only leave her open. Maybe after finding cover for a moment or so that would be a viable option but not now.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

"Then perhaps you will be of some entertainment after all."
    The shade blends further into the surrounding darkness, all sense of difference between him and the surrounding air is lost.
    Only the green eyes remain.

The room just beyond the stairs is a small one, no more than a dozen feet in any direction, and simply a hub between tunnels and other staircases.
    It is also likely the only source of properly open ground Ghoul is going to find here in this gloom.

That said, it might be of use to take advantage of it soon.
    The little figure behind has made a leap towards her, arms and disproportionately large (a few inches on only half foot-long arms) claws outstretched.
    Fairly clear intent.
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #1345

[KNAVES Castle]

Alright, so apparently it was just her and the small thing, it seems. That was much better than two opponents at once.

Depending on the thing's trajectory, Ghoul had several options. If the leap would come up low, then she could simply move forward to put a bit more space between herself and her foe. Just turning around to shoot would be inaccurate as that would require getting a bead on the target that may or may not be quite nimble. If it were larger, it would be a much more acceptable tactic as she wouldn't need to aim as well. In any case, dodging first would be the best option.

If the leap was high, then she could possibly duck and/or roll out of the way, letting the thing go flying past her and then follow up with a souped up shotgun blast as it tried to get it's bearings again.

However, if the leap would be in that sweet spot of not too high nor too low, then the muse could use her current stance to her benefit. It would be nothing to pull into a quick spin while readying the butt of her gun to make a solid strike to her attacker as it attempted to pounce upon her. Given her cyberneticly enhanced strength, her regular punches could shatter bone after a few strikes and using a blunt instrument only made this easier. That combined with the velocity of her attacker would probably result in a very messy situation should it be a biological creature.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

Due to the presence of the stairs in this whole trajectory-calculation business, the aim will be rather high.
    Which will likely result in Ghoul ducking, as appropriate.

As she does so, what appears to be spikey, black-crystal teddy bear flies over her head, hissing slightly as it misses.

It's extremely quick, as it darts over, and unfortunately for her idea of "shoot it while it gets its bearings" it seems very in control of its flight pattern.
    Namely because a pair of small wings unfurl on its back and give a sharp jerk, throwing the creature off to the side, towards a wall. This might kerfuffle the expected easy shotgun-shot.
    There to attach and immediately spring off back towards Ghoul.

It is extremely attached to its current plan of attack.
    Absentee Spirit

27. - Top - End - #1347

[KNAVES Castle]

The enclosed area echoes with the sound of a missed attack, probably making a few holes in the wall where the shot spread out and impacted. It was quite a bit louder than one would expect and the recoil required Ghoul to have a special system in her skeletal structure installed to negate the effects. While her bones themselves had been replaced long ago with a stronger material, recoil could still cause some damage to her remaining organic muscles or throw her off balance if she wasn't careful.

Though, the nice thing was that some of the energy could be re-appropriated into a quick turn to follow the evil toy and keep it in her sights. Given that it appeared to be following a simple attack pattern of charging, Ghoul would let it steer itself directly toward her before pulling the trigger and letting loose another hellish blast of noise and lighting the room briefly with the fire from the barrel as it violently spewed forth small chunks of hot metal.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

Well, it probably could have juked off to the side, away from the shot.
    But it seemed a bit too "eyes on the prize" focused.

So it takes the buckshot directly to the face, resulting in an incredibly severe reversal of momentum that would induce whiplash in whatever didn't die immediately.

With a startled squeal-hiss, the crystal-demon-toy is flung backwards, off to clatter against a wall.
    But it seems to have suffered neither instant-death nor whiplash, proceeding to quickly skitter up across the wall, like some sort of grotesque insect, booking for some point up at the ceiling some distance away.

The darkness would obscure this sight from most, but Ghoul's sonar should have no problems tracking it.
    Whether it can detect the cracking of the toy's surface or not is different. It seems to be incredibly resilient, to not explode at an essentially point-blank shot like that.

But then, it's entirely possible it's a demon. Demons have weird resistances like that.
    Skitter skitter.
    It seems content to do that up at the ceiling for a moment, eying Ghoul and waiting for something.
    Absentee Spirit

29. - Top - End - #1349

[KNAVES Castle]

Sonar wasn't the best tool to find the smaller details. Locating things, yes, but not exactly made for examination.

Ghoul, was somewhat unsurprised that the thing hadn't exploded into bits. Sometimes, drones had some respectable defenses that required more than one or two shots and it always paid to be ready for the few things that can actually take a solid hit. That said, she had started laughing after that second shot... No, it was more like a cackle that wouldn't stop. It wasn't as if she had lost it, though. Far from it. She would be the first to admit that she had a healthy dose of 'battle crazy' but she reigned herself in for the most part. A cool head was key in any fight. Of course, the laughing she decided to keep unsuppressed for the simple reason that it was rather demoralizing and possibly quite frightening. Psychological warfare was always useful.

Wearing a mad grin, she reached slightly forward with her steadying hand to a second trigger slung under the primary barrel and pointed the gun in the direction of the little demon. Pulling the trigger, Ghoul soon after lept backward in preparation for what was next to come. The underhung barrel let out a 'FWOOMP' sound as a much larger projectile flew towards the demon. Once it was within a good proximity, the cryonade would spew a large cloud of frigid, pressurized mist, causing a noise much as if it had simply exploded. While damaging to tissue, it's main function was to impede movement and possibly make whatever this thing was more fragile. Given that both skin and metal became more brittle when cold, this was a fairly useful weapon.

She loved those things.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[KNAVES Castle]

And so, with an explosion of painfully disruptive ice substance, the shadow teddy is put into a somewhat awkward position.
    While being made of neither flesh nor metal, the surface of rime over its features seems to being a decent enough job of slowing it down enough where its spending most of its effort simply clinging to the ceiling.

Clinging and trying to will away the freezing, so that it can resume closing the distance.

Meanwhile, the green eyes of Edict maneuver somewhere around 8 o'clock of Ghoul.
    A tendril-shaped wisp of shadow appears near the glow, undoubtedly with a less-than-polite purpose.
    Absentee Spirit