New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Demotivators Episode V: The Demotivator Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict View Post
    In DragonBall then yes, his Jackie Chun fight was at LEAST lvl 13 (probably closer to 16-17). But if we're only talking about DBZ I would use Goku vs Frieza as the first Epic fight meaning the battle vs Vegeta and Nappa was probably for a lvl 5 or 6 party when you look at the power gap. Master Roshi was too weak to fight in that fight. He was weaker than Yamcha at that point. YAMCHA! So he must be between lvl 1-3 on the DBZ power scale. Just depends what power scale you use.
    I'd say it's more dependent on what class everyone was, if they were ardents (which is the closest to matching their abilities) then they never left the lower teens throughout all of DBZ. If they were swordsages and warlocks then you went a very small way into epic. If you assume they were just monks then I need to punch you.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    Do you have any basis for these numbers?
    Jumping distances. Move speeds. Other carrying capacity stuff.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Where do people pull all these high levels from?
    Granted, they are ridiculously powerful, but somehow I think Roshi was level 13, or even mid-level... I think everyone was under level 10 in the original DragonBall.
    I know that the main characters' and BBEGs' levels get arbitrarily high later on, but that Roshi part is bothering me...
    The very first time they meet Roshi in Dragonball, he destroys a mountain. In the tournament, he destroys the moon from Earth. Goku - who is substantially weaker than Roshi at the very beginning - is bulletproof from the very first scene on.

They are wildly inconsistent about how powerful people in that series are (people hit each other as hard as possible without large-scale destruction ensuing, people who seemed blase about guns seem threatened by them elsewhere) but the over-the-top-ness is present right from the beginning.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

Where do people pull all these high levels from?
    Granted, they are ridiculously powerful, but somehow I think Roshi was level 13, or even mid-level... I think everyone was under level 10 in the original DragonBall.
    I know that the main characters' and BBEGs' levels get arbitrarily high later on, but that Roshi part is bothering me...
    Sorry man if I offended you, was just meant to be a little joke about the difference in power between them (maybe I should have made a joke about him being a DM-NPC). Was a joke and just that.

About the levels, I tend to think of levels being dependant do the structre aroung them. Level 20 is simply to me the highest something in that universe should get unless they go ridiculous like DBZ. If I was making a joke about say Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia or Captain Carrot from Discworld they would be high teens (Yuri is the second strongest human on the planet by the end of the game and Carrot could take out golems and trolls). Compare them to any D&D hero and they would barely be hitting 5, probably much lower (just a quick guess, no calculations). If I look at something like Naruto or One Piece then I would measure them against the strongest from that (Madara or Whitebeard being lvl 20). In their own world Naruto would be around 15 (a close threat to Madara but not quite direct competiton) and Luffy would be barely lvl 10 pre-timeskip (taking out some big shots with help from his friends and circumstances). In D&D Naruto would be better than any Ninja below epic and Luffy would be a higher Martial class, easily destroying battle ships with his bear hands (what lvl monk would he need to be to do that?). Trying to measure someone outside of their own universe is kind of silly but no offense to those who wanna try and do it realisticaly. For DBZ I picked Frieza vs Goku as the first Epic battle in my mind due to the first show of planetery destruction and scaled back from there. In Dragon Ball If Goku was low lvl when he met Bulma then I think Roshi (as Jackie Chun) would be round lvl 15 ish and the final battle of Piccolo vs Goku as a straight out lvl 20 vs lvl 20. But that is how I do it and nothing more. If you look at it from D&D standpoint only then Goku only learned Teleport when Mecha Frieza was killed. A spell that a lvl 9 wizard can learn (i think, no experience with 3.5) took till the Android saga to show up. You cant measure things by something elses power scale. Thats how internet wars start (eg. Goku vs Superman or The Empire of Star Wars vs The Imperium of 40k).

As I said again, it was a joke not meant to be taken seriously. Personally I love lower lvl guys from Dragon Ball like Krillen and the only Saiyan I like is Gohan and thats mostly due to personality. Roshi is kick ass! Didn't mean to diss the old guy, quite the opposite. Sorry, my bad.
    Last edited by IrnBruAddict; 2012-01-18 at 02:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

And now a word from Bob Ross.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2012-01-18 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Tier 5, and fairly solid Tier 5.
    I believe the caption comes from the fact Black Belt (monk) is beating the living crápé out of Garland ("BBEG" sorceror/warrior), rather than disputing the tier system...

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    I believe the caption comes from the fact Black Belt (monk) is beating the living crápé out of Garland ("BBEG" sorceror/warrior), rather than disputing the tier system...
    It's explicitly disputing the concept of the tier system. Otherwise it wouldn't be saying "Tier what now?", it'd be saying one of a million billion other things.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-01-18 at 05:14 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

{{scrubbed}}

And now, excerpts from the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-01-20 at 09:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Tier 5, and fairly solid Tier 5.
    Again, was talking about the monk from Legend rather than 3.5. All the melee classes in that game gained a tier or so and all the casters went down 1. Mostly because the Max spell level is 7 and the d.cs to do things like restoring the dead using the heal skill or being able to climb on air and fly are only around d.c 30. Helps that stat bonuses are not few or far between ethier.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

Tygre, you should just advertise yourself as a master of rerailing discussions; considering the amount of times you've done so both for here and GOH.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't demonstrate your point in the form of pictures, we are not interested.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized I should follow my own demands:

Last edited by Yora; 2012-01-18 at 05:39 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

13. - Top - End - #1033

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    If you can't demonstrate your point in the form of pictures, we are not interested.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized I should follow my own demands:

I can't see it. Is the problem on my end or yours?

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's on Yora's end. I can't see it either.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #1035

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I think it's on Yora's end. I can't see it either.
    Same, Yora fix it! :D

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Looks like it's going through some kind of proxy service that doesn't work with the img tag. I'm not sure whether it's the proxy itself or the way it mangles the url that's the problem. In any case, here's the real direct link:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Looks like it's going through some kind of proxy service that doesn't work with the img tag. I'm not sure whether it's the proxy itself or the way it mangles the url that's the problem. In any case, here's the real direct link:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... And so the circle is complete.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Damnit, now I feel bad for making this one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, I think it's time I got around to posting all the pathfinder flavors of wizard around.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-01-20 at 10:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Sorry man if I offended you, was just meant to be a little joke about the difference in power between them (maybe I should have made a joke about him being a DM-NPC). Was a joke and just that.

About the levels, I tend to think of levels being dependant do the structre aroung them. Level 20 is simply to me the highest something in that universe should get unless they go ridiculous like DBZ. If I was making a joke about say Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia or Captain Carrot from Discworld they would be high teens (Yuri is the second strongest human on the planet by the end of the game and Carrot could take out golems and trolls). Compare them to any D&D hero and they would barely be hitting 5, probably much lower (just a quick guess, no calculations). If I look at something like Naruto or One Piece then I would measure them against the strongest from that (Madara or Whitebeard being lvl 20). In their own world Naruto would be around 15 (a close threat to Madara but not quite direct competiton) and Luffy would be barely lvl 10 pre-timeskip (taking out some big shots with help from his friends and circumstances). In D&D Naruto would be better than any Ninja below epic and Luffy would be a higher Martial class, easily destroying battle ships with his bear hands (what lvl monk would he need to be to do that?). Trying to measure someone outside of their own universe is kind of silly but no offense to those who wanna try and do it realisticaly. For DBZ I picked Frieza vs Goku as the first Epic battle in my mind due to the first show of planetery destruction and scaled back from there. In Dragon Ball If Goku was low lvl when he met Bulma then I think Roshi (as Jackie Chun) would be round lvl 15 ish and the final battle of Piccolo vs Goku as a straight out lvl 20 vs lvl 20. But that is how I do it and nothing more. If you look at it from D&D standpoint only then Goku only learned Teleport when Mecha Frieza was killed. A spell that a lvl 9 wizard can learn (i think, no experience with 3.5) took till the Android saga to show up. You cant measure things by something elses power scale. Thats how internet wars start (eg. Goku vs Superman or The Empire of Star Wars vs The Imperium of 40k).

As I said again, it was a joke not meant to be taken seriously. Personally I love lower lvl guys from Dragon Ball like Krillen and the only Saiyan I like is Gohan and thats mostly due to personality. Roshi is kick ass! Didn't mean to diss the old guy, quite the opposite. Sorry, my bad.
    Oh, no offense was taken
    It's just so common to see people throwing around arbitrarily high levels for characters of all kinds... Like the classic Gandalf example...

But the bolded part in that quote, I REALLY enjoy the idea of Luffy with bear hands... watch out, world...
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Please, like Luffy needs the help.

...At the risk of inciting natter, would a streched claw still be sharp?

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post

To slash? Doubtfully. To pierce? Most likely. Normally I'd say it would need some real force behind it to do that in such a case, but Luffy has more than enough of that.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

How sharp a blade is is determined by the angle of its cutting edge, so stretching out a claw would give you a more narrow point, thus actually giving you a sharper claw.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Barbarian in the Playground

…with his bear hands
    Oh, no offense was taken
    It's just so common to see people throwing around arbitrarily high levels for characters of all kinds... Like the classic Gandalf example...

But the bolded part in that quote, I REALLY enjoy the idea of Luffy with bear hands... watch out, world...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Veeratar© Enhanced
    MTI Avatar by Ceika. Now get on your face!
    Professor AngelSword by FDL. Fascinating!
    Berith AngelSword by Ceika.

Wicked Savior
    Exile
    Heart of Gold

Castles & Chemo - Granting a +4 to Saves vs. Cancer!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Luffy's no monk. He's a warblade with Abberant Blood, Inhuman Reach (DM allowed him to spend another feat to take away the penalty to attack rolls), and Extended Reach. Or a template.

And there is no way he was 10th level in Alabasta.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #1045

SwashbucklerGuy

Just for the sake of getting back on track…

Spoiler
    Show

No, neither of these are mine, mostly because I don't have time to throw anything together. Still got to properly pay some tax here at some point…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2012-01-19 at 12:42 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

I REALLY enjoy the idea of Luffy with bear hands... watch out, world...
    Ehh ... i totally meant that! Really see
    Spoiler
    Show

Forgive the bad editing that took all of 2 minutes

Thing is, with Vegapunk making swords and guns sentient with Devil Fruits and there being no Bear Bear fruit this is actually possible.

Love the Pathfinder Wizards!

27. - Top - End - #1047

Spoiler
    Show

The caption makes me certain that there must be something hidden in the picture but for the life of me I can't find it.

Unless of course making me look for something that isn't there is the punchline...
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

It's watching you.

Though not really an illusion.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    The caption makes me certain that there must be something hidden in the picture but for the life of me I can't find it.
    Take a few steps back from your screen.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Take a few steps back from your screen.
    The bridge is an eye-looking thing. That's all I see that's different from up close.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.