New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Fear Moths

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Fear Moths

So I'm building a dungeon for my players, and I find myself in Dragons of Faerun. Inside, pg 103, is this little gem, Fear Moths.
    They explicitly remove 'all immunities to fear or bonuses to saving throws against fear' while also imposing a -2 to saves against fear in a 100' radius.
    Why does nobody ever talk about this or use it?
    Seems like every fear build ever should want them. Suddenly you're useful at higher levels, when things could just ignore you, now they have to deal with you.
    Every Nightmare Spinner or Dread Witch should have these, but noone ever mentions it.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Fear Moths

Dragons of Faerun is one of several books that were printed late enough in 3.5's life that many people don't know anything about them. Dragons of Faerun, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Forge of War, Secrets of Sarlona, etc. They have few mechanical bits in them, and those they do have are (thanks to that later printing) often something that actually resembles balanced, so the char-op community rarely if ever quotes them because they don't care.

As to your specific question, it is generally not assumed that PCs can just bottle of adventuring hazards, otherwise everyone would have pots of Green Slime to throw.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #3

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Dragons of Faerun is one of several books that were printed late enough in 3.5's life that many people don't know anything about them. Dragons of Faerun, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Forge of War, Secrets of Sarlona, etc. They have few mechanical bits in them, and those they do have are (thanks to that later printing) often something that actually resembles balanced, so the char-op community rarely if ever quotes them because they don't care.

As to your specific question, it is generally not assumed that PCs can just bottle of adventuring hazards, otherwise everyone would have pots of Green Slime to throw.
    Is there really not some way to harvest them?
    I guess I just assumed someone somewhere had a build where they did throw pots of Green Slime.
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    Is there really not some way to harvest them?
    I guess I just assumed someone somewhere had a build where they did throw pots of Green Slime.
    Considering they have no stats or price they fall pretty squarely into the terrain of "ask your DM if you can have stumbled across some or encouraged them to cultivate somewhere," which is very wishy-washy and doesn't lend itself to building a character as well as anything more concrete. I agree that they're pretty incredible if you're able to get your hands on them, but without a reliable way of getting them you might as well think of them as a Minor Artifact for all the good they can do you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Additionally, most immunities to fear don't come from being directly immune to fear. Normally, it comes from being immune to mind-effecting, which those moths don't help against.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Those don't overlap?
    'Prax' is fine.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Additionally, most immunities to fear don't come from being directly immune to fear. Normally, it comes from being immune to mind-effecting, which those moths don't help against.
    Exactly this; while all fear effects are mind-affecting, they are separate tags. For example, the fear spell (necromancy) has the [fear, mind-affecting] tags, just like phantasmal killer (an illusion), and haunting fear (an enchantment (compulsion), also [sonic]).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

I don't know, I think you'd have a strong case in a specific-trumps-general kind of way that if the moths remove all resistance to fear effects then the resistance afforded by immunity to mind-affecting effects is one such resistance. I agree it's a little up in the air and both sides could be argued, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to rule that fear can penetrate immune-to-mind-affecting in this specific circumstance. People don't seem to think that a Dread Witch can't, and the wording is similar.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    I don't know, I think you'd have a strong case in a specific-trumps-general kind of way that if the moths remove all resistance to fear effects then the resistance afforded by immunity to mind-affecting effects is one such resistance. I agree it's a little up in the air and both sides could be argued, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to rule that fear can penetrate immune-to-mind-affecting in this specific circumstance. People don't seem to think that a Dread Witch can't, and the wording is similar.
    That was honestly my thought.
    So I suppose it's less, 'are these awesome,' more 'how do I use them?'
    Because if there was a way to actively do it, holy crap!
    'Prax' is fine.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    That was honestly my thought.
    So I suppose it's less, 'are these awesome,' more 'how do I use them?'
    Because if there was a way to actively do it, holy crap!
    You can look in Caedrus' Fear Handbook for pretty much every conceivable trick regarding Fear effects, and the moths will let it happen. Dread Witch allowed spells to bypass fear immunity, but any non-spell effects like Intimidate or the Nightmare Spinner's various class features technically don't get that same pass. Assuming you can obtain them, which is difficult for all the reasons above, I think they'd be helpful on an Intimidate-focused build alongside feats like Imperious Command, classes like Scarlet Corsair and Avenging Executioner, and skill tricks like Never Outnumbered. Using Intimidate to force them to cower with Imperious Command, which opens them up for an easy Sneak Attack, which makes them Shaken because of Scarlet Corsair's Frightening Lunge and/or Avenging Executioner's Bloody Blade. Imperious Command then makes them Shaken the next round, but because they're already Shaken for however long they'll be Frightened for that same amount of time. Rinse and repeat, either Intimidating to send them to the ground or just Sneak Attacking since Avenging Executioner's Dread Blade makes them vulnerable to it. Stab and bully your way to victory. It's definitely not an optimized strategy, but it's one that wouldn't be possible if not for the Fear Moths, so it makes good use of them.