New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Reboot!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Reboot!

Okay, this is going to be a mid 90's throwback for anyone who watched it, and depending on your taste on humor and poor computer animation, you may not like said throwback.

So, my parents like Reboot because it had a few jokes they got and it wasn't Dragonball Z. I liked reboot because Tony Jay has an awesome voice that is timeless and irreplaceable, and the setting just felt cool. I thought that the animation and..ugh--ENZO were the only real unbearable parts for me, other than that it had two cool villains that had great contrasts in personality, and the world building they attempted was pretty gripping for me when I was only, like, five years old.

Now, the reason I'm bringing this up is the full series was released on DVD recently, and my parents bought it so they could relive one of the few cartoon shows of the 90's they liked watching (the other two being Powerpuff Girls and Ren and Stimpy). I started watching it a week ago and the nostalgia throwback just got to me. Once you get past season one the animation starts to improve a bit (I know things were different back then, but the way things and people move just makes me cringe) and by season three it becomes alot more bearable, but my main question is...

If anyone on here does like it (or watchi it), would you want to see it come back?

(If you don't care about it coming back I guess you could just use this thread to remember how muc hyou liked or hated Reboot, I guess...)
    Last edited by Elrik; 2011-10-01 at 01:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Reboot!

I would love it if Rainmaker could get their freaking act together and release those Reboot movies they've been teasing us about for the last four years...

Seriously, though, if they could keep the writing at the level it was for Seasons 2-3 especially, I would pretty much have a minor joy aneurysm to see Reboot brought back to life. I loved that show so much, I tried to write a d20 setting for it.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It always annoyed me that the TV channels in the UK got about halfway through the last season and then just stopped. No idea why they didn't continue beyond that point...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Reboot was awesome. (Once it picked up speed and found it's fitting.)

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It always annoyed me that the TV channels in the UK got about halfway through the last season and then just stopped. No idea why they didn't continue beyond that point...
    You and me both. I didn't even know there WAS a continuation. I'm delighted that it's on DVD (it's on my get list - along with Earthworm Jim, which was long-overdue, I've been waiting for that for years - and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is due out next year (all of it this time). I'm doing well. All I need is Centurions and all the cartoons I used to watch will be at my behest).

What I remember most about Reboot was the episode where they simultaneously spoofed Thunderbirds and Power Rangers - I have only ever laughed at hard since at Stargate SG-1's 200th episode. In fact, I was laughing so hard, I don't even remember the jokes!

That and the Johnathon Frakes lookalike being Number One...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elrik View Post
    ENZO were the only real unbearable parts for me,
    But then Enzo turned into Matrix and became gorram awesome.

I should show my dad the episode spoofing The Prisoner, cause he might actually enjoy that.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Reboot always brings flashes of my real life memories with it, mainly me kid-raging because it was on exactly when my mum had to take us wherever she needed to do stuff after school.

Loved it. This talk of films in someone else's post intrigues me & I wish to subscribe to their newsletter.

Edit:

Always remembered this random scene, don't know why besides it being awesome.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-10-01 at 05:18 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post

I should show my dad the episode spoofing The Prisoner, cause he might actually enjoy that.
    Yes, Enzo activate Death Blossom mode, excellant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really loved Reboot when I was younger. Funnily enough I thought the animation was amazing because it was something that I never had seen before. It was only until later that I managed to appreciate Megabyte though.

Funnily enough I never liked Matrix. I actually stopped watching for a while when he became the new main character because I absolutely hated him and... was she still named Sprite? Then when Bob was back I enjoyed it again only to have my mom pull me away from the tv during the final last episode cause we had to go some place. Boy was I mad at her. I still haven't finished that one up till this day... I really should look into that now that I think of it.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reboot is one of those shows that I just enjoy. I love how much they were able to get away with when making it, such as the large scale battles, one random sprite actually getting shot in the face by Matrix, and of course that episode from season 1 where they plan to put on a party, only to have the censors come and ban everything they wanted to present.

That, and the line "They ABC's, they've turned on us! Villainous scum!" shortly after ABC dropped the show.

Overall, good show. Season 3 is my favorite, the two movies were alright, and the first two seasons, while not as good as season 3, were still enjoyable and had some great moments.

One of the few things that stuck with me after seeing the show for the first time when I was oh...12...was the Mad Max episode, where Herr Doctor kept whining about his digits (Bob had just broken each and every one of his fingers).
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I would love it if Rainmaker could get their freaking act together and release those Reboot movies they've been teasing us about for the last four years...

Seriously, though, if they could keep the writing at the level it was for Seasons 2-3 especially, I would pretty much have a minor joy aneurysm to see Reboot brought back to life. I loved that show so much, I tried to write a d20 setting for it.
    Sweet lord, I know exactly what you mean. I think all they released was this, and that was just a preview back in, what, 2009?

I really wanted to see how they dealt with a resurrected Megabyte (who now shapeshifts!), especially since he was able to take over the principal office alot faster than last time.

I hear they had, like, web comics online or something. Maybe I should go check those out and get my reboot fix for this year.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

My wife and I both watched through the entire series about two years ago. While the animation is a bit dated it is good regardless.

Definitely interested in getting the series on DVD.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elrik View Post
    Sweet lord, I know exactly what you mean. I think all they released was this, and that was just a preview back in, what, 2009?

I really wanted to see how they dealt with a resurrected Megabyte (who now shapeshifts!), especially since he was able to take over the principal office alot faster than last time.

I hear they had, like, web comics online or something. Maybe I should go check those out and get my reboot fix for this year.
    Seriously, do not bother. The webcomic resolved that plot with "And then the Code Masters came and saved everyone, but they had their own nefarious plot..."

As annoyed I was at Mainframe for deliberately creating a cliffhanger when they damned well knew they had no plans for a follow-up, the comic was worse.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post

I was so annoyed by Enzo's...Enzoness that I forgot that for a second. I actually thought the grown pair was better and had a better dynamic going on in terms of the show's relationships compared to Dot and Bob.

But then they had to somehow have the "annoying but well meaning child" aspect put back in the series and then have another Enzo run around. At least they made this one a little less annoying than before.

Probably my third* favorite fight in the series is when Matrix slugs Megabyte throughout the principal office (they were kind of on even footing, I think), and then has him begging for mercy at the end.

*Next to Hexadecimal getting her groove back and mercilessly attacking Damon, and then the fight when Megabyte comes back and curbstomps Bob.