New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - IC

Malthos stares at the carvings in fascination. The power of such mighty beings in beyond our ken, no doubt. Oddly enough, Malthos approaches the carvings, and seems to pray briefly to the mutated gods. Noticing the looks of horror on his companions' faces, Malthos chuckles. I am merely asserting my respect for these deities. My kindred regard spirits greater than ourselves highly, while commanding spirits that are weaker than us; such is the way of shamanism. I do believe, however, that I may recognize these particular beings....
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (religion) (1d20+5)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

For Malthos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't recognize any of the gods directly, but you've heard rumors and whispers of demon cults in the deep North, and strange people in the secluded, dark swamps who worship things that even the Evilest gods revile and fear.

When you were very young, you recall a man stumbled into your camp. He was wild and fearful, fleeing something, and spoke some language no one understood. The elder did what he could, and gave him a place to rest for the evening. Come morning, the man was dead, without a mark upon him.

Among his belongings was a small obsidian statue of some monster. You'd never seen the Elder look so grave as he did when he saw that statue.

After making the appropriate prayers and offerings to revere the unknown god, he ordered the statue crushed, then burned, then had the remains divided, and sent then to be scattered as far from each other as his servants and warriors dared travel.

These carvings are the first things you ever seen that reminded you of that statue.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-01-30 at 02:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos's face is filled with dread when the memory comes to him. When I was but a boy, a madman came to my village's nomadic camp, who died soon afterwards. He carried with him an obsidian statue, akin to the being in this carving. When the village's shamanic leader saw the thing.... The shaman gulps. It was the first time I ever saw my master fearful. He had the thing destroyed, and the pieces shattered and scattered as far as possible, buried deep beneath the earth. The spirits depicted here are evil and alien, worse than any god that any of us has ever heard of. Growling slightly as he looks again at the carving, Malthos mutters, the hate clear in his pale eyes. I revoke my regards, you monstrosities. You are not worthy of my respect.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Murgan stares at the figures of the worshippers supplicating themselves, listening closely to Malkov's story with a frown. As the shaman finishes the tale, he turns and spits a glob of saliva and phlegm on the floor beside one of the statues.

"Never had any time for gods that weren't Abbathor or Vergadain. Least they play straight with you. Most religion is just a really well-run con game, anyway. 'Oh, please behave yourselves and don't steal, just give all your money to us and stay out of our way, because the All-Father or Hiereoneous or some other old, dead jackass says so.' " He says, his voice rising and becoming squeaky as he mocks a priestly speaker.

"Look at all these people tripping over themselves to waste their lives. Well, I think these statues are crem, and monsters like these probably never even existed, anyway."

He gives the ugliest of them a solid whack with his mace, and then turns to the door. "Wasting time. You had the right of it, Kulkov. Let's find the rest of the undead so they don't come up behind us later, and then get back to picking the bones of this place."
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-01-30 at 04:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

For Murgan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    which one would you consider the ugliest?

For All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where would the group like to go from here?
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-01-30 at 11:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav frowns.

"A corrupt priesthood is indeed one of the more monstrous of ills a people can suffer... regardless, let us continue."

With that, he steps back into the hall, and begins walking to the south, to where, only a few hours ago, the undead had sought to reduce the party to their previous state.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd vote for just continuing to explore the hall, for the moment.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2012-01-31 at 12:39 AM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

((The southernmost one of the weird fish-thing.))

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

For Murgan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your blow chips the stone of the carving, you feel a slight chill run down your spine... Like someone walking over your grave...

...Meh, it's probably nothing.

As the party re-enters the lavishly decorated hall they see that it widens to the south, ending in a pair of large, ornate double doors.

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm at work, and dont have access to my maps. You can see the area on the complete map I posted above though.

I'll post a real one when I get home.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Murgan heads out into the corridor, strapping his mace to his belt in favor of the dwarven waraxe slung down across his back. "Let's head back the way I came, then branch out."

He appears to pause at the door, considering the task ahead of them.

((Manifesting Precognition, with Concentration check to prevent visual display, DC 16: (1d20+3)[15] ))

For a moment, he closes his eyes, and a wave of rainbow light seems to swirl out from him, forming indistinct shapes. When he opens his eyes again, his pupils are burning like points of silver fire against their rheumy and bloodshot white backdrop.

Then he slinks forward into the corridor, keeping to the edges and creeping along as if hoping to take the creatures by surprise.

((Stealth Roll: [roll]1d20+9[/roll]))
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-01-31 at 04:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

((Retrying Stealth Roll: (1d20+9)[12] ))

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Stepping over the broken door, the party quietly files into the hallway and turns west.

The door, back the way you first came, is likewise smashed off its hinges.

You hear a faint, scrapping noise coming from around the corner to the north...

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav hangs back for the moment, afraid of giving away the group's presence. He was never the best stalker in a hunting party.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos trots along with the others, keeping his snakes well-hidden within his sleeves; he knows they are not capable of harming the undead, and doesn't want to risk their lives.

Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on how many the group encounters, Malthos plans to either blast any enemies with fire, or use his invisibility to undead spell to cloak the arcanists from the zombies.
    Last edited by Fates; 2012-02-03 at 01:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Fredric moves forward, motioning Kulkov and Murgan to gather near him, he whispers arcane formulae over their weapons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Magic Weapon On Kulkov's glave and Murgan's axe... (or on whichever weapons you'd like.)

note, +1 Attack, +1 Damage.

Inching forwards, the flickering flames of the party's everburning torches cast long shadows down the corridor. The stench of rotting meat permiates the air, and the quiet scraping sound is interrupted periodically by a soft bumping noise...

*Scrape*... *bump*... *scrape, scrape...* .... *Bump*...

For Murgan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pushing ahead of the party, you peer around the corner... Ahead of the torchlight, the darkness is absolute. Straining your eyes, you can make out, just at the very edge of your darkvision, the form of one of the dead things... Dragging a rusted greatsword, and bumping repeatedly into a wall... As though it believes there should be a door where there isn't...

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    With SlyJonny out for a bit, I'll be taking [very] basic actions for Murgan.

Murgan creeps back from the corner and whispers to the group.
    "There's one of those things up there, just bumping into the wall. It's not doing anything else, but there's no good way to sneak up on it either."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav nods.

"Perhaps we should just aim to ambush it, then. If you will all ready yourselves to attack it when it comes into view, I can draw its attention, and try to cut it down before it reaches us."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In other words, Kulkav can step into its view, and ready an action to strike it as soon as it comes into range. He would then get to do that and hopefully get an AoO as it passes through his glaive's threatened radius. Everyone else can likewise ready an action to strike the zombie when it is in range, so when they get line of effect to it, they can strike it, all hopefully before it can attack Kulkav.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Taribo and Murgan nod their approval of the plan.

"I'll Grease the floor before it as it charges you. Getting it off balance should help our efforts a great deal." Fredric states...

Moving forward, the scraping and bumping stop as soon as the torch's light begins seeping around the corner. As Kulkov steps into position the thing screeches a deafening roar and jerks down the hall, it's dragging, uneaven gait carrying it down the corridor with frightful speed, as Fredric begins chanting his spell.

Suddenly, the torches flicker out again and the party is plunged into total darkness...

Spoiler
    Show

All Please roll Initiative. Everyone has a Readied Action, before initiative begins.

Zombie: (1d20+1)[14]
    Fredric: (1d20+3)[4]
    Taribo: (1d20+3)[17]
    Murgan: (1d20+1)[19]
    Darkmantle: (1d20+4)[15]

Fredric Casts 'Grease'... 50% miss chance: (1d100)[8]

Darkmantle attacks Malthos, DC 15: (1d20+5)[11]
    If hit, take Damage: (1d4+4)[8], and start grapple: (1d20+1)[7]
    Resist Grapple, DC=above roll. If you fail, take additional Damage: (1d4+4)[7]

Fredric almost gags on his spell, but manages to finish it...

For Kulkov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ground beneath you is suddenly slick and oily, and you stagger, trying to keep your footing...

Please make a Reflex Save, DC 13. If you fail, you slip and fall prone, losing your readied action.

If you succeed, you may make your Attack of Opportunity against the charging Zombie. Note your 50% miss Chance, as well as your +1 bonus to Attack and Damage.

You hear the Zombie go crashing to the ground as hit hits the greased area.

For Malthos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel the wind of something flying past you with lethal momentum, but you flinch at the last moment and it fails to hit you.

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-02-06 at 12:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav roars, sensing that the battle has quickly become much more serious than anticipated. He plants his feet with a solid thud, his stance widening enough to take up far more space than normal, as he takes a blind shot at the zombie.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Mountain Rage by way of Instantaneous Rage, and in turn using Mad Foam Rager to delay the effect of Grease for one turn.

Reflex save - (1d20-4)[4]
    Attack roll - (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage - (2d8+13)[18]
    Blind High Hits - (1d100)[37]

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

For Kulkov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice! To bad the Miss Chance under cut you. Make a Balance check, DC 10 to stay standing at the top of the round, and give me a percentile roll for that botch.

Kulkov's blow slams into the floor with crushing force. In the darkness, Whether he missed the creature by an inch or a mile is impossible to say.

Murgan slashes blindly with his axe at the dead creature, choosing the attack field least likely to result in friendly contact.

Spoiler
    Show
    Murgan attacks Zombie, DC 8: (1d20+3)[15]
    Roll 50% Miss chance: (1d100)[68]
    If hit, deal damage: (1d8+2)[6]

With a wet thud, his axe finds meat.

For Malthos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can hear whatever flew at you hit the wall and stick there. You've got a good enough idea where it is to make an attack against it, but you'll still be subject to the 50% miss chance, unless you can do something about the magical darkness.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-02-06 at 02:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh. Well, if I was going to botch anything, at least it's an attack that already missed.
    Balance check - (1d20-1)[14]
    Botch - (1d100)[27]

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

For Kulkov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That roll's not too bad. We'll just call your botch an even 'Miss' for that.

Malthos, It's your turn.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Murgan scowls to himself as he realizes his darkvision isn't working, and therefore the problem isn't just with the torch. "Orcsh*t! I can't see at all! This isn't natural darkness, boys. Everyone sound out their name, right now! Murgan, standing here!"
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-02-06 at 08:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos curses. This is an ill omen. I see two possibilities; our enemies possess either a spellcaster, or another darkmantle; as the first was hardly an adequate challenge for our group, I would think a darkmantle would be an unlikely foe at this point in time. Let us only pray to the good spirits that whatever enemy we face has magic less than that of Fredric, Taribo and I combined.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

In the darkness, Fredric shouts out, "I'm here!"

Taribo Chimes in, "I'm over here!"

For Malthos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I get an initiative roll from you? Also, you've got an action before initiative starts if you like.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-02-07 at 01:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Combat Order:
    Murgan: (1d20+1)[19]
    Taribo: (1d20+3)[17]
    Kulkov: (1d20-1)[15]
    Darkmantle: (1d20+4)[15]
    Zombie: (1d20+1)[14]
    Malthos: (1d20+6)[8]
    Fredric: (1d20+3)[4]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Murgan listens out, wondering if the zombie managed to rise or move. Then he strikes again, cursing his weak eye that begins to cry blood as his pupil dilates in response to the darkness, aiming at where he estimates the creature to be.

(1d20+6)[18] Perception

Concealment roll, low hits:
    (1d100)[100]
    Murky-Eyed concealment roll, low hits:
    (1d100)[22]

(1d20+3)[12] to hit (Will expend +2 precognition bonus if it's more than 6 but less than 8)
    (1d8+1)[2] damage

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

The slipping scuffling of the creature twists away from Murgan as he tries to blindly gauge his swing...

His blow smashes heavily into the flagstone floor.

For Murgan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, if there was ever a time you didn't want to roll a 100... I usually say >50 hits, but either way, you missed one of those rolls. Sorry.

"Face away from my voice!" Taribo's tinny voice rings out, just before a cacophony of blinding colored light explodes from his hands...

Spoiler
    Show
    Taribo casts 'Color Spray'.

Kulkov, Murgan, Fredric, and Malthos, please make a Reflex Save, DC 10, to look away.

If you fail, make a Will Save, DC 17.

If you fail both the Reflex and Will Saves, you will be Blinded and Stunned for 1 round. If you succeed at either, for the next round your Miss Chance is reduced to 25%, as the blinding light pierces the darkness for a moment.

Additionally, anyone who did not take their Readied Action during the initial round, may expend it in order to automatically succeed at the Reflex Save.

Fredric's Reflex Save, DC 10: (1d20+3)[10]
    If fail, Fredric's Will Save, DC 17: (1d20+4)[13]

Zombie's Will Save, DC 17: (1d20+1)[20]

Kulkov, it's your turn.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-02-08 at 02:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav drops his glaive, drawing forth his greataxe, in order to attack the enemy whose location he is reasonably sure of.

"I AM HERE!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Kulkav only got to make his AoO, his readied action is unexpended, so I'll go ahead and have him use it to avoid any chance of being blinded and stunned.
    Attack roll - (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage roll - (1d12+12)[19]
    High Hits - (1d100)[88]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos lifts his hammer, and brings it down upon whatever hit the wall beside him. He only wishes he possessed a light spell powerful enough to counter the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[3] (Lucky me, I didn't take murky-eyed. )
    (1d100)[28] (High hits)
    Damage: (1d8+1)[2]
    Crit confirmation (If I get a natural 20 on the first roll):(1d20+2)[10]
    Extra damage from crit (if applicable):(2d8+2)[6]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Eek; that was an epic fail in about as many ways as possible.
    Failure roll: (1d100)[26]