New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738394055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - IC

Vlorah

With eyes wide - Vlorah seems unable to recover from her fear - Vlorah takes a look around, then jumps after Malthos, screaming all the time.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+5)[21]
    Act well before thinking!

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, right, forgot initiative.
    (1d20+7)[27]
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav keeps his shield readied against the horde, and follows the others into the pit.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Flames erupt from Malthos hands, washing over the crowd as the party gathers itself for a push towards the pit...

Your charge is cut short, however, as the flames fail fell, or even slow the intervening mass of goblins... Charing their fungal growths, and sizzling their skin, these creatures are driven even further insane by the pain and charge forward headless of Kulkov's and Elias' posturing...

... You brace yourself for the end, when suddenly a sharp chill runs down you neck, and you turn to see the ghostly girl standing with you...

An unfelt wind billows her damp hair and flimsy shift, and she speaks a single word...

The air splits with thunder, deafening you, and filling your vision with white lights and sparks, as the shockwave flattens thousands of the goblins...

She makes a swift gesture, and a blast of force flings you high into the air, sailing over the yawning pit, to land, almost gently thanks to Malthos' Feather Fall, in the mouth of the sloping tunnel...

Already, the goblins are beginning to gather themselves, and you look to see the girl beginning to dissapate...

... Her power expended, you hear her voice whisper in your heads...

"... Flee... Escape... Rally those whom you've doomed..."

Far away up the steep slope, you see a glimmering point of light...

... Sunlight.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-09-11 at 09:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav races as fast as his armor permits, looking back to make sure that none are left behind.

That...that thing must be stopped. Somehow.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not seeing any better options, Elias charges up the slope, away from the raging goblins.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos goes after the others, casting aside the axe and running at full speed, eyes wet and streaming from the sudden exposure to the light.

Spoiler
    Show

Are we using the run action? If so, I move 160 feet/round for 2 rounds before I have to start making constitution checks.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A silent prayer on her lips, Vlorah runs with the others, her short legs pumping furiously.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Glancing back, the goblin masses recover the selves but are a bit slow to take up the chase as they consume and canabalize any that fell, or were injured beyond function...

As the party flees up the steep tunnel towards escape and freedom, you manage to get a fair distance away from the horrid masses...

... Then... The tide is released...

The ground trembles under the footfalls of the squamous millions as they pour into the tunnel after you, scrambling and spilling up towards you like some obscene flood, fast as rain, coming up to drown you...

Spoiler
    Show
    All right all, on your marks. Start making Run checks, DC 10, to keep moving at your maximum speed.

The goblin horde is chasing you at a rate of 60ft per round. If they catch you, you shall be ripped apart and devoured.

As per Run rules, you may move at 4x your speed for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution. After that, each round you must succeed at a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. If you fail, you may only move at your base rate for the next minute (10 rounds), while you catch your breath.

If you have any tricks to help along a flagging fellow, you'd be well advised to employ them.

The tunnel is about a mile long (5280ft), and you all are about 200ft into it.

For simplicity sake, make ten rolls, covering about thr first 1000ft. These will be used as your average over the course of the mile. A botch indicates that you trip, and must get up before you can continue moving. A 20 shall cancel a failure.

Also give descriptive text for how you help those who might flagger around you, along with any tricks you use right off the bat.

As usual, if you'd like clarification on any point, feel free to ask in the OOC.

... Beyond that of mere Men...
    Though beaten and beleaguered, you have experianced and survived much that should have ended you many times over, and have so far persevered.

From this point forward, any time you attempt any feat of endurance, and fail, you may take 1 point of Constitution damage to succeed anyway. This damage may be restored by any of the usual means. It is entirely possible to run yourself to death in this manner.

Fredric's rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Constitution:
    1.(1d20+1)[15]
    2.(1d20+1)[6]
    3.(1d20+1)[21]
    4.(1d20+1)[13]
    5.(1d20+1)[4]
    6.(1d20+1)[21]
    7.(1d20+1)[11]
    8.(1d20+1)[8]
    9.(1d20+1)[10]
    10.(1d20+1)[16]

Fredric shall cast Expeditious Retreat on Kulkov, and Bulls Strength on Elias.
    He shall spend Constitution to succeed at any failed rolls, down to his last point, at which point, he'll need serious help. Should anyone trip, he'll take an action to help them up.

Edit/: The two 20s canceling two of his failures, Fredric keeps up remarkably well, being required to expend 5 points of Constitution over the course of the mile to stay ahead of the horde. He is gasping for breath, and his hands are shaking, but his is otherwise able to manage.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-09-14 at 01:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlorah:

Spoiler
    Show

The first 14 rounds are at 4x30 = 120 ft.

Then:
    1: (1d20+2)[13]
    2: (1d20+2)[19]
    3: (1d20+2)[19]
    4: (1d20+2)[4] <-
    5: (1d20+2)[22]
    6: (1d20+2)[15]
    7: (1d20+2)[9] <-
    8: (1d20+2)[19]
    9: (1d20+2)[3] <--- ouch!
    10: (1d20+2)[6]
    Last edited by Simba; 2012-09-14 at 02:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #881

PirateGuy

Elias offers to carry Vlorah's pack to lighten her load, especially with the infusion of strength from Fredric. If anyone stumbles, he will offer a hand to help them along, but will always keep one free to fight if necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

run 17 rounds 30x4
    con checks
    (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[21]
    (1d20+3)[13]
    (1d20+3)[13]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d20+3)[23]
    (1d20+3)[5]
    (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[22]
    (1d20+3)[8]

edit: ouch, 3 8s and a 5. at least there was a 20 in there too. taking 3 con damage
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-09-14 at 08:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos has now all but forgotten his frailty, and is sprinting faster than most humans could hope to achieve, praying all the way.

Spoiler
    Show

Running 40*4 feet/round for 16 rounds.

After that:
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d20+3)[11]
    (1d20+3)[6]
    (1d20+3)[19]
    (1d20+3)[7]
    (1d20+3)[12]
    (1d20+3)[7]
    (1d20+3)[18]
    (1d20+3)[19]

Guess I'm taking 3 points of con damage. If I hadn't gotten those negative levels, I would be able to restore that. :/

Last edited by Fates; 2012-09-14 at 08:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a note, your rolls cover roughly the first 1000ft of the mile, and it is expected that you will continue to get similar rolls over the next 4000ft of the mile. Therefore, any constitution damage you take to succeed at your rolls shall be applied four times (You can make it about 1000ft before you're required to start making rolls, and I'm rounding for easier math).

As such, spending points to recover from 3 failures shall total 12 Constitution damage, not 3. (i.e. the number of failures x4.)
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-09-15 at 01:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, damn. There'd better be a tavern out of town.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

As Vlorah begins to flag, Kulkav scoops her up, seemingly scarcely bothered by the additional weight as he sprints.

However, a full mile is a long way to rush in his intricate armor, and he is panting heavily as he runs.

Spoiler
    Show
    With Expeditious Retreat, I believe that Kulkav's speed is raised to 35 (40 base+30/2 (Mechanus Gear)->35

Also, I believe that the Con damage still hasn't healed up; if it has, raise Kulkav's rolls by 1. In that case, he only needs to take 4 Con damage; otherwise, he takes 5, but still manages to succeed.

Con check 1 - (1d20+3)[9]
    Con check 2 - (1d20+3)[21]
    Con check 3 - (1d20+3)[13]
    Con check 4 - (1d20+3)[6]
    Con check 5 - (1d20+3)[21]
    Con check 6 - (1d20+3)[6]
    Con check 7 - (1d20+3)[13]
    Con check 8 - (1d20+3)[8]
    Con check 9 - (1d20+3)[19]
    Con check 10 - (1d20+3)[7]
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2012-09-16 at 03:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #886

Arian Demonbane, Archivist

Arian curses as he loads his crossbow and searches his memory for anything that would be helpful in this situation, anything at all that would either aid those fleeing or hinder the hordes chasing them. He shouts to anyone who might be lingering outside the mouth of the tunnel, "Best get the guard, boys, and gird your swords! I think we're in for a mite bit of trouble!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey guys. There ain't much I can do to help, unfortunately, but I'll do what I can. Mr. X, will the Entangle spell work in the tunnel? I.e., are there roots and the like that can be affected by the spell? Other than that, Arian will start taking potshots at the chargin horde when they get within range.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

The party rushes up towards the blinding sunlight. Flagging and near complete exhaustion, Kulkov slows near the end, struggling under the weight of his massive armor...

For a moment it looks like he won't make it, when suddenly, twisting roots explode from the ground behind him, writhing about, gripping, twisting and tripping the onpouring horde, and buying him precious seconds...

Glancing upwards through the blindin sunlight, you see your savior... A stout, bookish man, filthy with dust and blood, a long, smoking censer dangling from one hand, as he reads off a scroll in his other...

He turns to shout something over his shoulder as, mere minutes ahead of the horde, you make the final push out onto the surface, for the first time in months...

... The sight that greats you is one of absolute devastation... You've come up within a city that has been reduced almost beyond recognition, untill your eyes settle on the broken ruin of the giant dome crowning the Great Temple of Beluvah...

... The holy city... The seat of the gods upon this earth... A burnt wasteland... Leveled all but to rubble...

... There, the High Tower of Lathander, the Holiest of Holies, is missing... Simply gone... The clear space of sky where it should have been, an abyss of awful comprehension...

... All around, you can here the wailing of the dying... Fires burn out of control all across the city, as survivors scramble about trying to help others, or wander aimlessly in dazed shock...

At the stout man's shout, a few turn to stare glassily at him without comprehension, before wandering off or returning to whatever they were doing...

... There is no hope of rallying them before the horde bursts forths...

Spoiler
    Show

All gain 2000xp for Escaping the Dungeon.

You've got about 2 minutes before the goblins breach the tunnel.

For Thirdkingdom:
    'Entanglement' was, in fact, the perfect spell for the situation.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-09-16 at 05:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888

"Now is no time to gawk, gentlemen! And lady, pardon me. Let us climb to the top of the mound created by the worm's breach and rain death from above upon your monstrous pursuers as they emerge below us." Arian begins to climb the mound, offering assistance to any who need it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once he reaches the apex he will throw down two tanglefoot bags in front of the entrance and ready himself, followed by the casting of flaming sphere at the last instant.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos coughs and catches his breath. I thank you, sir, but I find myself still weak after my duel with a powerful ghost. I will help as best I can, but I will have to serve as a healer only.

Spoiler
    Show

Nice to see another player. We've gone through so many, so you'll have to excuse me if this greeting is a tad brief.

20. - Top - End - #890

"Ahhh. Perhaps I underestimated the numbers of your pursuers. It might be better if we retreat, rather than attempt to risk the fury of this horde. As to your fatigue, I have several scrolls which allow me to cast a spell of a restorative, albeit minor, nature. Would you or any of your comrades be in need of such assistance?" He turns back from attempting to scale the mound.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, he can cast four lesser restoration spells. Each casting takes 3 rounds and removes 1d4 points of ability damage as well as removing fatigue, etc. I'm not quite sure what we are supposed to do. My thought was to ambush them from above; I'm pretty sure that even though there are thousands we should be able to literally clog the mouth of the tunnel with their bodies fairly quickly. Plus, they should be fairly sensitive to light.

My other suggestion is a quick retreat. The one thing that comes to my mind is rowing back out to the island; that or trying to find horses to get out quickly.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, I probably should have been more clear about this. The hole the Worm left is large enough to march a hundred men abreast through. With fifty men of equal standing to yourselves, you might be able to hold the hole for a time, but even then probably not indefinitely.

At this point, escaping the city should probably be your first priority, as it is essentially impossible to rally a force sufficient to even slow the invading force.

From here, the game is going to take something of a sandbox turn, as it is going to be up to you to rally the competing city states against the horrors you've unleashed, or watch them be consumed by the flood.

Once you escape the city, it would probably be a good idea to have a look at the map, and decide where you want to go. Feel free to ask questions in the OOC, an I will flesh out the cities and their political situations for you as they come up.

Go ahead and cast those Restorations. They're likely going to be the difference between life and death for some of us.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-09-16 at 07:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892

PirateGuy

Elias pops out of the tunnel below Kulkav, somehow looking much less exhausted than the rest of the party. He immediately begins scouting around the area for horses, or some other way of fleeing the advancing horde of goblins. In his haste, he barely notices the bookish man that greeted them, other than thinking they will need an extra mount to carry them all away. As he is searching, he is yelling to the survivors he sees the need to flee, trying to get them to organize a retreat before they are overrun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival
    (1d20+9)[27]
    spot
    (1d20+9)[29]
    Knowledge Geography (to determine the best way to go
    (1d20+8)[14]
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-09-16 at 09:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

I would be so much more useful right now without those negative levels. =/ Ah, well. Lesser Restoration would be very much welcome.

We can't possibly hold this place. There are thousands of those creatures attacking. Retreat is our only viable option. Does anyone know a way out of this place?

24. - Top - End - #894

"Ahhh, yes to both of your questions, friend . . . ? As we have just met, and there is a horde of ravenous subterranean degenerates at your heels, perhas we had best cary out introductions as we flee. I can attempt to cast what magicks I can at the same time. Might I suggest we double back that way, so as to put the most distance possible between ourselves and out pursuers? We can then attempt to find some horses; I would suggest mererly checking the stables of the first inn, tavern or taphouse we come across."

[spoiler]1d4=1 point of Constitution returned, but more importantly your Fatigue category is improved.[/spoiler[

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav nods breathlessly to Arian, continuing to pound on, sheltering Vlorah, and looking desperately about for any means of escape for the group. This is turning into the bleakest winter he has ever seen...but as long as tribe continues on, they may yet see spring.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+8)[27] to spot the nearest horses; he'd need a heavy horse to be able to support his weight, I think.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlorah

Totally out of breath and close to breaking down, Vlorah looks around, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Horses? Sounds good, let's check the stables..."

27. - Top - End - #897

With an impatient wave of his arm, Arian gestures they should move along, "Follow me if you would like to live a few minutes more! I am from around here, you know." He proceeds to move, whether the newcomers follow or not, in a line opposite the horde's direction of travel, searching for the nearest stable or livery he knows of which might have survived the devastation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just to make myself clear, if the horde is advancing, for example, in a northerly direction, Arian will lead in a southerly direction, under the assumption that the horde will mostly advance in their current direction once they emerge from the tunnel. Arian can also cast two more lesser restorations, but unless you speak up either IC or OOC I will assume your character is fine. Sorry for that crappy roll to restore Malthos' Constitution, MoF.

28. - Top - End - #898

"By the way", he adds, leading the party down rubble strewn alleys and past spatially buried victims of the disaster, "My name is Arian, Arian Demonbane, and there is a slight chance we, or rather I specifically and you by proximity, will be attacked by a pack of loathsome icthythenic degenerates." He pauses for a moment. "Attacked, or I will be remotely made their unwilling slave by occult means. Depends on their understanding of the Sympathetic Principal, I suppose. You wouldn't happen to be a virgin, would you?" Arian asks, eyeing the lady halfling, "Cause I've got this plan …" His voice trails off, and he says to himself, "Of course I had to have purchased the negligee, already. I honestly don't know if we could find a store open with her size in stock …"

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Fleeing away from the hole, it takes anyone who's lived here brief moments to get their bearings enough to recall there being a guardhouse and stables about a mile east from the hole.

You manage to get the attention of a few of the survivors coming out of the woodwork, and they begin to flee, some along with you, most off in random directions...

You've only made it a short distance when the flood erupts from the earth behind you... The wailing of the survivors rises into a screach of new panic as the first of the goblins crawls over the lip of the hole and skitters down the bank like a spider, to be followed by hundreds and thousands more, swarming out of the gap...

The world around you seems to move through molasses, as you watch one of the creatures leap onto a man, the strange crystalline structure where it's arm should be seeming to liquefy, forming into a needle sharp spike that peirces clean through the man's chest, before the creature rips his throat out with it's teeth...

Madly you scramble over wreckage and rubble, hoping against hope that there are still horses held at the stable...

You manage to put fair distance between you and the swarm, forcing out of your minds the screams of the suffering and the dying, when you finally come upon the stable...

... The building and it's connected guard house are half collapsed and on fire, and most the surviving horses have been cut free and stolen... You were clearly not the only ones with this idea... A crowd is growing here. You see one man mount up and attempt to ride off, only to be yanked off and knifed by another panic stricken victim, while a third tries to load his wife and screaming babe into the saddle...

... The riot is getting quickly out of control. If you want horses, you are going to have to fight, and likely kill, for them.

Spoiler
    Show
    There are ten heavy horses still in the area, and about a hundred people fighting over them

I'm posting from work, so cannot provide a map now, but I'll get one up later tonight.

If you're going to enter the Frey, go ahead and roll initiative.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos turns to one of the horses, and mutters an incantation in a soothing tone. He mutters to the others. I only have one of these spells, mind you. I suppose we'll have to try some crowd control. If need be, I believe a few of you can fit on a horse, and I'd wager I can run faster than any man there.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Charm Animal on one of the horses. (Will DC 15)