New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1765
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Group 2] The World's Largest Dungeon - IC

For Kulkov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, you cannot get into melee range.

You are close enough to make a ranged attack, however, and while a javelin probably is more likely to kill a refugee than sunder a rope, injuring or killing one of the horses pulling them would slow the slaver's escape a great deal.

At the rate you're moving, you might be able to catch up to them next round, but if they move any faster (and they probably can), you'll start to fall behind.

(The horses are trotting at 50ft./round at the moment, dragging the net, and hoping not to injure the refugees so much as to make them worthless.

The threat of capture, however, may spur them to speeds upwards of 100ft/round.

Poor stock is better than no stock.)
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-27 at 01:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

As he moves, Kulkav draws forth a javelin that, in the hands of a different man, would look more like a longspear. Drawing back, he lets the weapon fly, aiming for the haunch of one of the horses....

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that sounds like a plan, then. Not totally clear on how far away they are, so just take the appropriate penalties for a javelin (30 foot range increment) after Kulkav has moved 20 feet closer.

Attack - (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage - (1d8+8)[11]
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Troll in the Playground

Kulkov's javalin sinks deep into the flank of the retreating horse, causing it to stagger and stumble, despite its rider's vicious whip spurring it onwards...

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I appologize for the illegibility of the map. I'll get a cleaner one posted tomorrow.

Kulkov, you've slowed the movement of Slaver Group D (specifically S1) to 35ft/round...

Vlorah, it's your turn.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hopefully you'll find this a little more legible... (Though perhaps you'll find it exactly the same) :-/.

The Slavers have not acted yet, as Vlorah has the higher Dex modifier.

Just for absolute clarity, the amoebous shapes 'East' (upwards) of Vlorah and Elias are groups of people separated from the main crowd at the beginning of the scene. The boarder to the 'West' (bottom) is the edge of the retreating multitude.

Moving through these crowds costs double movement, but if you are mounted, odds are the crowds will part before you, much like they did for the slavers.

As always, questions are welcome.

Vlorah, it's your turn.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-30 at 03:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlorah keeps running after Kulkov, staying close to him for mutual protection. She might even be able to help him, once in a while. Maybe...
    Act well before thinking!

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

For Vlorah:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you follow on foot or do you take the horse next to you?
    (This will effect the Slaver's action)

Give me a Ride check if you take the horse. You may make the check untrained at no penalty.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Figuring it will keep her from falling too far behind, Vlorah will attempt to take the horse, even though she has no experience rinding those beasts.

Spoiler
    Show

Ride check: (1d20+5)[20]

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Knowing her small stature shall never allow her to keep up with the mountainous Kulkov, Vlorah almost forgets to be afraid as she leaps into the saddle and charges after the goliath as if she were born in the saddle.

Their quarry, slowed by the wounded horse and seeing other mounted defenders approaching, decides to cut their losses. The slaver upon the wounded horse leaps onto the healthier horse of his comrade, and cuts loose the netted refugees, before the pair retreats Southeastward to regroup with what remains of the rest.

The Leader, unseated by Maltho's blast of flame, shouts something at the pair of slavers dragging the last remaining group of prisoners, before waving a wand into the sky...

... The screech of a raptor splits the air as a shadow suddenly streaks over the fields. Diving from impossible hights, the light flashes off its crimson feathers as hoof and claw smash into the earth before the leader, and he mounts up upon the beast...

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

I've re-drawn this map to clean it up. Also, you'll note, the arrows indicate the directions people are traveling. Hopefully this will help give a better idea of what's going on.

The Slaver Leader uses a Wand of Summon Monster III to summon a Celestial Hippogriff.

The Slavers are in full retreat at this juncture. They've got over twenty prisoners in the remaining net. The slavers with the net are moving away at a rate of 35ft/round. The others are staying grouped with them, but may potentially move much faster.

Elias, it's your turn.

EDIT/: Ack... Because I'm brain dead, I forgot to draw in the Entangled area. It's still there, though not having much relevant effect at this juncture, so just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-04 at 03:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Fredrick! Try to dispel that thing before the leader takes off!
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Ride
    (1d20+3)[7]

can't see the map on my work computer, so not sure how far i can get.

Elias mounts up on the beast next to him and spurs it into motion. He charges the horse as far as possible, aiming to get himself in range of the last net so he can sever it before the slavers escape.
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-12-04 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Finding a new sense of clarity and purpose, Malthos glares hatefully toward the bandit leader, and makes his way to the largest cluster of dead slavers he can find, his chains rattling all the way. He begins chanting as he places his hands on their charred flesh, and then raises his hands slowly above the corpses. A visible dark grey aura washes over the dead men, and the screams of their tortured souls echo all throughout the vicinity as they rise again, ready to do Malthos' bidding.

The shaman turns to the bandit leader, and howls an order toward the slavers-turned-slaves to slay him and his summoned beast. The mindless undead creatures make their way toward the two, ready to hack away with whatever weapons are at their disposal.

Spoiler
    Show

So, as I mentioned, I find the largest cluster of corpses possible. I am able to animate a maximum of 12 HD of undead in this way (since they're humanoids, each one has only 1 HD). I turn each of them into
    skeletons (never did care for zombies) and send them to kill the hippogriff and bandit leader. Approximately 2/3 are to attack the bandit leader.

If the skeletons cannot reach the bandit leader and attack, and have no ranged weapons, they make two move actions (or a run action, if possible) to get beside the leader so as to make an attack of opportunity should he take off.
    Last edited by Fates; 2012-12-05 at 04:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

A wash of dark energy floods out from Malthos... The fallen slavers' bodies rot and putrify as their bones rattle up and errect... Even the one Kulkov bisected, it torso crawling after its legs, gripping its own ankle to be dragged off as its legs begin to run. Catching up axes and knives from their own rotted remains, the undead horrors charge off towards the leader, mounted on his winged beast, hurling their lighter implements as they draw close...

Spoiler
    Show

Skeleton 1 attacks Slaver Leader, DC 18:
    (1d20+3)[23]
    Axe damage: (1d6+2)[5]

Skeleton 2 attacks Slaver Leader, DC 18:
    (1d20+3)[20]
    Dagger Damage: (1d4+2)[5]

The 3rd skeleton is not in a position to make a ranged attack, I'm afraid.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Skeleton 1 Crit confirm, DC 18:
    (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage:(1d6+2)[3]

An axe slashes passed the man's side, and a dagger burries itself in his shoulder, staggering him for a moment, but not killing him.

Kulkov, it's your turn.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-07 at 10:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Kulkav, normally, might have stared in horror at the necromantic creatures before him. However, in his present fugue state, he regards them only as reinforcements. With a roar, he advances to the south, and hurls another javelin at the flank of the nearer horse on the last net-bearing group, leaving the Leader to the ravenous undead, for the moment...

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll - (1d20)[4]
    Damage roll - (1d8+8)[15]
    Not completely sure on the scale here, but I believe that he's 2 increments out from his target, which I've factored into the attack roll. Add or subtract as necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

Kulkov's throw is strong and true, but his aim is high, and the javelin sails harmlessly passed both the horse and its rider, sinking into the plain a ways further on...

Vlorah, it's your turn.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlorah tries to get her horse to move as close to Kulkov's target as possible. Unfamiliar with fighting from horseback she tries to adjust her aim to its gait as she releases her dagger. It is an unlikely shot, but better than doing nothing.

Spoiler
    Show

Please substract modifiers as you see fit :)

Ride: (1d20+5)[21]
    attack: (1d20+13)[16]
    damage: (1d3+3)[4] + (unlikely) (3d8)[12] sneak attack

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

Elias mounts up and charges after the fleeing slavers, as Vlorah's knife grazes one of their mounts, but fails to deal sufficient damage to slow them.

From all angles the party races in persuit, but the slavers are pulling ahead, gathering togather as the leader extracts another wand and waves it over head...

Suddenly the slavers' mounts twitch, their movements accelerating to blinding speed, as the group pulls away...

Spoiler
    Show

Slaver Leader casts 'Haste'.

Elias, sorry I forgot to post your results earlier. You catch up pretty well, and if you take a move action, you can reach them this round befor they can act under the effects of the Haste spell.

It's your turn, make it good.

The Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1068

PirateGuy

Elias charges his horse up to the leader as he is preparing his spell. He turns his blade against the beast he is riding, as he knows the areas sensitive to attack much better than he does on a human.

Spoiler
    Show
    ride check DC 5
    (1d20+3)[6]
    attack roll vs hippogriff mount
    (1d20+13)[28]
    crit confirm
    (1d20+13)[21]
    damage
    (1d6+7)[11]
    crit damage
    (2d6+14)[20]
    ambush if applicable
    (3d6)[7]

potential AOO vs slaver when casting spell (or mount if it leaves my threatened area

attack roll
    (1d20+13)[30] (subtract 4 if vs slaver)
    crit confirm
    (1d20+13)[18] (subtract 4 if vs slaver)
    damage

(1d6+7)[9] (subtract 4 if vs slaver)
    crit damage
    (2d6+14)[17] (subtract 8 if vs slaver)

ambush if applicable
    (3d6)[10]

Last edited by Quakes; 2012-12-13 at 01:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

Elias digs his heels into his horse, racing beneath the winged creature just as it takes to the air, its buffeting wings nearly unseating the sailor as he slashes skyward at the creature before it can soar out of reach...

The blade of the sword cuts so cleanly that, for a moment, you all are certain he missed his strike...

... An odd, knobby something falls from the beast as it takes to the air...

... In the next moment, it convulses and contorts, plummeting back to earth and smashing into the ground in a tangled mass of hooves, claws, and feathers, and throwing its rider some twenty feet, tumbling head over heels, before collapsing in a heap...

Ahead, the remaining slavers pull away, reaching the crest of the nearest hill, and disappearing behind it...

Spoiler
    Show

Nicely done.

For All:
    The Slaver Leader is still alive, though he's knocked prone, and can't get up untill his turn.

Malthos, it's your turn.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-14 at 03:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos strides forward with a vengeful glint in his pale eyes. He gives the command for his reanimated lackeys to seize the leader, and then faces him, spitting directly into his dirty face.

Spoiler
    Show

Ordering the skeletons to all attempt to grapple the bandit leader, then moving towards the bandit leader as far as I can with a single 40-foot move. I then cast Blinding Spittle. This requires a ranged touch attack with a -2 penalty, but has no saving throw and blinds him until the bandit leader takes a standard action to wash his eyes out with water (he also needs to get water, of course).

Touch attack: (1d20+5)[17]

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Troll in the Playground

The undead monstrosities easily pin the downed slaver as the party gathers around.

"Easy there Malthos," Fredric states as the shaman spits in the slaver's face, "I think we've got him."

Spoiler
    Show

Congratulations. You have defeated [most of] the slavers.

Those of you still Lv 5, gain 2600exp.

Those of you who are Lv 6, gain 2130exp.

You are free to take your actions.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-14 at 11:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos looks back to Fredrick, tired. If you mistook that for an act of rage, let me put those suspicions to rest. It was only a simple spell to ensure his inability to escape efficiently. Do what you will with him, but then allow me to give him to my snakes, unless anyone can think of a more deserving punishment.

Malthos then dismisses the subject, and slowly walks toward the heaps of dead bodies, tears welling in his eyes. He looks back at the slaver leader, and then strides toward him furiously. And this! What monster are you to bring tall hose men, women, and children to their graves, rather than allow us to capture them! I cannot fathom how a person could be so....

Malthos turns silent, then reaches for his knife. He attempts hack off one of the slaver's hands.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]
    Critical: (1d4+2)[5]
    I don't expect this to slice off the hand immediately. If anyone else wishes to try to stop Malthos, go ahead. Else, I continue until both of his hands are gone.
    Last edited by Fates; 2012-12-15 at 10:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073

PirateGuy

Elias is more concerned with helping the people they rescued out of the nets and getting them back on their feet. Once that task is accomplished, he will look for the priest that had enthralled them and find out why he did nothing to protect the people he had gathered.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

Suddenly cognizant of Malthos's new servants, Kulkav gapes for a moment, before he rushes forward, and attempts to grab Malthos's arm.

"Enough. You do not cripple a man for his crimes. You do not force him to starve."

He looms over the slaver leader.

"We will kill him. Cleanly. First, though, I would ask... where are your men taking the townspeople that they got away with?"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

The slaver squirms his head, trying to wipe the saliva out of his eyes on his shoulder, while the skeletons hold him spread eagle to the ground.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Ahh!
    Please! Just stop talking about the killing and the maiming, alright!

An' for the record, that blast as what killed all them stockers, an' four of my boys, came from your side! I don't kill people, alright! I got no use for corpses!

An' sure, I can tell ya where the rest o' my crew's headed, but I'll keep my life and my hands, thank you very much, else you can find 'em yourselves. Gah "

For Elias:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It takes little effort to cut the netted refugee's free. Interestingly, you note that the net had strips of leather sewn into it, presumably to help protect those within while they were being dragged away.

The priest is nowhere to be found, lost in the masses.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-18 at 01:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Malthos kicks the man in the teeth, then walks off a distance. Fine. he mutters. Fine, I suppose I'll have to do this the hard way. This man is a liar and a monster, but he is our only lead to the rest of his kind. The sacrifice will have to be my own. I beg of you all not to interfere.

Malthos gulps down a vial of silvery healing potion, then, with a word, lifts into the air. Chanting a prayer to the hungry god under his breath, the shaman neatly attempts to slice off his left hand. He clenches his teeth against the pain, summoning all his will to allow himself to right his greatest wrong.

Spoiler
    Show

Drinking a potion of cure light wounds (1d8+5)[13], then casting levitate (my last 2nd-level spell) to lift 20 feet into the air. Finally, doing my best to cut off my own hand with the knife.

27. - Top - End - #1077

PirateGuy

"Don't worry too much about his safety. I should be able to track them to their lair fairly easily. They were dragging rather heavy burdens through the dirt, after all. And they couldn't go too quickly, as they didn't want to injure their quarry."
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

"Aye, I'll bet ye could find 'em on your own. Probably catch up to 'em just in time to see their sails disappear over the horizon. Can you track a boat over water?

Now, yet might still catch 'em 'fore they got to the boat, if ye didn't have to stop to look for trail signs, cuz you had someone who knew where they were goin', an even if ye missed the boat, he could tell ye where the boat was goin', and who was Buyin' the stock...

... 'Course, that someone would need to be alive to tell you all that..."

As Malthos walks of, he calls out,

"An' yeah, I'm' a monster, seein' as I don't kill my stock 'fore I make 'em work for me, and I be sure to keep a roof o're their heads through the winter and get 'em three squares a day... The lords o' Starspire'll surely give them all that an' more, no doubt!" He sneers.

Malthos pays the slaver no heed as he stalks off to the groups of burnt dead bodies, for whom death was chosen over capture...

... Slowely he rises into the air, his chains rattling in the rising wind, and, with a swift gesture, severs off his left hand...

... The clouds darken, lightning flashes across the sky, thunder rumbles across the planes...

... And the dead begin to rise...

For Malthos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pain of the dagger's cut is several levels beyond bearable, but the flood of power that surges into you is terrifyingly euphoric... For a moment, your mind touches the abominable god, and you experience it's un-ending, gut wrenching, insatiably ravenous hunger, as it slurps up the essence of your severed hand...

channelling the raw, unbridled power, you are a god on this earth... To kill and devour all who surround you would require but a thought, and a fraction of the power you hold...

... You are nearly tempted before your better self takes ahold, and you course the power into the fallen, willing their souls to return and their bodies to rise...

... But creation requires more than destruction, and with so many dead, raising them all will tax your power to the limit, and even then, given the source of the power, some may suffer... Complications...

But you are yet not limited to the power siphoned off the god, the dagger channels your own essence as well, and you may expend even more of your self to balance the horrid power and give these people true resurrection...

Spoiler
    Show

If you would like to guarantee that the raised shall suffer no complications, you may imbue each of them with 1 permanent Hit Point off your total. This they shall keep until they die, at which point, the power shall be returned to you.

If you do not wish to commit the extra expenditure, please roll 1d100, to see what complications occur.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-12-20 at 03:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Would I be giving one total hit point, or one per ressurection? If it's the former, sure; if it's the latter: (1d100)[93]

30. - Top - End - #1080

PirateGuy

Elias does not wish to sound callous, but if the people here have been raised, it is time to go save the others. He retrieves the wand from the grappled slaver (as well as any other wands he might be hiding).

Malthos, can you use this wand to summon Hippogriff mounts for us? Or at least one for Vlorah. We have a good chance of catching up to the slavers if we leave soon, and between me following tracks on the ground and her spotting from the air, we can get them before they catch up to their reinforcements or get back to their ship, and we can do it without worrying that this scum is misleading us.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5