New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Dacing Fox Inn II: Title, Title, Who's Got The Title?

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    The dwarf will pull out his flask and begin flipping it over between his hands, "Well I suppose it means I'll have to start charging people, but that's fair. Call it a fifty fifty split and drinks, room, And food are free."

Quickly, he gets back into character, "So what kind O' adventure d'yee be seekin' this eve m'lady?"
    "I figured you were already. My apologies. If you want, we can come up with something else.
    . . . and food, of course."

Naku shrugs slightly.
    She doesn't really care too much.
    She saw how this inn operates. Money isn't hurting much.
    Though she does keep forgetting that food exists.

"Anything . . .
    Anything with this world's vampires in it.
    I'd like to learn more about them."
    Last edited by Mee; 2011-10-12 at 03:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Talking of vampires, one's just entered now. He's quite a tall chap, and thin, wearing a ripped and stained white shirt missing a sleeve, torn and grubby suit trousers, a much-mangled waistcoat and a pair of steel-toe-capped boots. His hair is ill-kept and black, whilst his eyes are green with a slight red tint.

He walks in and chooses somewhere dark to sit, where he can observe without necessarily being observed.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "I figured you were already. My apologies. If you want, we can come up with something else.
    . . . and food, of course."

Naku shrugs slightly.
    She doesn't really care too much.
    She saw how this inn operates. Money isn't hurting much.
    Though she does keep forgetting that food exists.

"Anything . . .
    Anything with this world's vampires in it.
    I'd like to learn more about them."
    Ceres pauses for a moment, then carefully lays the flask down on the table between them, tragedy staring up at the ceiling.

"No, that's fine, it's just I don't have much use for money. You live long enough and you don't have to work for cash, cash works for you." Ceres manifests a minor psionic illusion that replays scenes from his memories to begin to set the mood. Images of Rot ripping the throat out of Magtok begin to play, along with brief flashes of his involvement in the party afterwards, highlighting his hostility and whimsical attitude towards violence.

"Well thars some things ye'll have to know first fer any O' this to make sense lassie. First off I'll tell ya that I'm not exactly a font O' infermation when it comes to tha' Nexus, seein' as how it's only been a month er so since me'n the family settled down 'ere ta stay. But I'll tell ya what I can. Bloodsuckers in tha Nexus come in as many shapes as there are stars in a galaxy, an' I've only had tha misfortune to see a few. There's yer feral monsters, what be livin' an' dyin' solely fer blood, not thinkin' 'bout nothin' but their next meal. But most of what'll find ya here is of the more amorphic persuasion, thems that have found ways of counteractin' the 'ardships that come from bein' a creature O' the night. In doin' that, they tend to have a better control O' their shape than ye'd think, discorporatin' inta acid mist and changin' their shapes so as to hide amongst the crowd and speed up their natural regeneraterin'."

Ceres raises a hand to pinch the bridge of his wide nose in thought,"But one things fer cert'n, yeh won't be findin' any flatsylvanaian duchess 'round these parts. Nothin' about tha Nexus is normal lass, least of all its vamps. If yer still innerested, I can tell yeh about a youngin' leech I met back in a grecian town, but it wouldn' give ya any idea O' what to expect from the lot aroun' here."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

4. - Top - End - #124

"Well,"
    Naku says after a slight pause.
    "I'm less interested in the ones that are hanging around here right now, I just want to hear stories.
    Old stories, passed down from who-knows when.
    Stories of the vampires you grew up with.

I . . .
    want to see how different we all are."

She says quietly, looking down at her hands.

And this new vampire may notice Naku, who's sitting off with Ceres. She's fairly obviously a vampire.
    Description for you if you want it.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Mateo does notice, but doesn't approach. He doesn't really trust other vampires, as his sire wasn't a particularly pleasant individual. At the moment, though, he's staring. The slight red glow from his eyes is more noticeable in the shade like he is, but still.

6. - Top - End - #126

"Well,"
    Naku says after a slight pause.
    "I'm less interested in the ones that are hanging around here right now, I just want to hear stories.
    Old stories, passed down from who-knows when.
    Stories of the vampires you grew up with.

I . . .
    want to see how different we all are."

She says quietly, looking down at her hands.

And this new vampire may notice Naku, who's sitting off with Ceres. She's fairly obviously a vampire.
    Description for you if you want it.
    Wow, as doll pretty as Naku is she's probably looking fairly adorable, bowing her head and all.

Ceres lets loose an involuntary grin at his own memories, this time he doesn't get back into character, too lost in reminiscing to care,"Oh he was different alright. Although I think you two would have got along fine. He was just a sprout when he turned, although by that point he may as well have been a man. His sire was one of the few vampires to brave the mediterranian sun and settle there, and most likely the only one cautious enough to not be found out immediately by the citizens and taken care of. He would find street boys, or buy slaves, and stretched them out for months. Feeding on one until the anemia was too much and they expired. This particular urchin was crafty though, too crafty for his own good. He knew his time was nearly up, and a few days before he was about to give out, he finally escaped. Not even a few days later, Nikolas expired from starvation and bloodloss. He was the only one of that entire stable of boys to be turned... and his sire never even noticed."

Ceres' smile slowly turns down at the corners, his old face slowly unwrinkling until you can just barely see his flinty eyes, "By the time we met him, no one knew how old he was. He had just been slaving himself out to generals across the gulf for centuries, most every sick pig who desired a bit of comfort between battles had been through his hands, and eventually his teeth, at least once. And if people died? Well it was war, and conditions were never the best back then, people died all the time, but only when he was certain they deserved it."

He goes to pick up his flask, his story done, "Alot of terrible things happened on that planet, and eventually Nikolas went the way we all do. One of his targets was too smart, too good, and that poor kid died a hard death. It nearly broke Julie's heart, and I don't think any of us could ever go back there."

"He was like you, y'know? I mean we inducted him into the family like we did with you. He...he was one of the first."
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

7. - Top - End - #127

S'true, actually.
    Just so gosh-darn cute.

Naku's silent through the entire story, but just ends nodding slowly.
    "One of the first?"
    She asks, very, very quiet all of a sudden . . .
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

S'true, actually.
    Just so gosh-darn cute.

Naku's silent through the entire story, but just ends nodding slowly.
    "One of the first?"
    She asks, very, very quiet all of a sudden . . .
    Ceres sobers up, "We Fiskes, by default, are adrift in the physical world. We don't belong. Connecting to people like you brings us closer to feeling like we're not abominations, monsters, freaks, aberant... not quite so different... *hrmph* and helping people like Nikolas gives us purpose, when we need it. There haven't been many we've made the offer to, and even fewer accept, but when you joined us you weren't just letting ten perverted old creeps spy on you. You have quite a few brothers and sisters out there across the multiverse. A few even here in the Nexus. And we all look out for each other when we can."

((The bit in italics is what Ceres is thinking, but since he's distraught he's sort of broadcasting his toughts telepathically to everyone nearby.))
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-12 at 05:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Ceres sobers up, "We Fiskes, by default, are adrift in the physical world. We don't belong. Connecting to people like you brings us closer to feeling like we're not abominations, monsters, freaks, aberant... not quite so different... *hrmph* and helping people like Nikolas gives us purpose, when we need it. There haven't been many we've made the offer to, and even fewer accept, but when you joined us you weren't just letting ten perverted old creeps spy on you. You have quite a few brothers and sisters out there across the multiverse. A few even here in the Nexus. And we all look out for each other when we can."

((The bit in italics is what Ceres is thinking, but since he's distraught he's sort of broadcasting his toughts telepathically to everyone nearby.))
    Naku nods again.
    "Just so long,"
    She says, grinning at him.
    "As you don't use it to take over my bar.
    M'kay?"

This is very, very obviously a joke.

And she would reply to the rest of it, she just doesn't really see how she could.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Naku nods again.
    "Just so long,"
    She says, grinning at him.
    "As you don't use it to take over my bar.
    M'kay?"

This is very, very obviously a joke.

And she would reply to the rest of it, she just doesn't really see how she could.
    "*Hrmph* That's what I get for being serious. Cheeky vampires..." He smiles though, and brushes his hand over the pocket containing his flask, "Wouldn't dream of it Princess..."

"It looks like you've got another customer, and I think he's one of your sort. I can go play serving boy unless you want to see to it yourself. Or have Colin or... *visible shudder* "Ashtrek do it."

((Edit: Of course, Earl is deadtimed right now, so any serving will have to wait until tomorrow.))
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-12 at 07:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

"*Hrmph* That's what I get for being serious. Cheeky vampires..." He smiles though, and brushes his hand over the pocket containing his flask, "Wouldn't dream of it Princess..."

"It looks like you've got another customer, and I think he's one of your sort. I can go play serving boy unless you want to see to it yourself. Or have Colin or... *visible shudder* "Ashtrek do it."
    "Very, very cheeky."
    Naku grins at him.

D'awww. Princess. First nice thing anyone's ever really said to her. . .

"Nah, I'll see to him.
    And don't be hating no Ashtrek. She just needs some help, is all.
    Taking in wayward waifs, and helping them out, eh?"

She asks rhetorically, standing, brushing herself off, and heading over to Earl's Vampire.

So in that case . . .
    She DOESN'T head over there.
    Yeah.
    That's it.
    Last edited by Mee; 2011-10-12 at 08:05 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

"Very, very cheeky."
    Naku grins at him.

D'awww. Princess. First nice thing anyone's ever really said to her. . .

"Nah, I'll see to him.
    And don't be hating no Ashtrek. She just needs some help, is all.
    Taking in wayward waifs, and helping them out, eh?"

She asks rhetorically, standing, brushing herself off, and heading over to Earl's Vampire.

So in that case . . .
    She DOESN'T head over there.
    Yeah.
    That's it.
    Ceres doesn't do anything to stop her, but lets out a laugh and a parting shot, "Oh please, that lass reminds me of Julie without the shame. But if you insist, I'll try to be... Civil about it."

13. - Top - End - #133

Ceres doesn't do anything to stop her, but lets out a laugh and a parting shot, "Oh please, that lass reminds me of Julie without the shame. But if you insist, I'll try to be... Civil about it."
    "Thank you. Just be nice, shut down any attempts to flirt with you, to to shut down her attempts to just seduce random people, please.
    She might not have much in the way of shame at the moment, but as long as she's here, working for me, there's at least a certain level I'm going to insist on."

Naku says, sitting back down over near Ceres with a sigh.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

"Thank you. Just be nice, shut down any attempts to flirt with you, to to shut down her attempts to just seduce random people, please.
    She might not have much in the way of shame at the moment, but as long as she's here, working for me, there's at least a certain level I'm going to insist on."

Naku says, sitting back down over near Ceres with a sigh.
    Heh, Ceres clearly gets a kick out of this conversation, "Oh please, don't flatter me princess. I severely doubt little miss fox-wolf would lower her standards enough to look at me, let alone take any interest. But I'll keep an eye on her, and between the two of us maybe she'll stay in line. Maybe."

He'll fiddle with his pocket one more time. "Besides, no matter how hopeless it is, I'm already beholden to someone." a thought comes to him, and with it a wistful smile, "Say there's an idea, how about one more story, just a short one. I'll tell you where I got this." he takes out the flask and slides it across the table towards Naku. Then he forces himself to remove his hand from atop it to reveal it facing down this time, the mask of comedy grinning upwards and gleaming dully in the Inn's lights.

15. - Top - End - #135

Heh, Ceres clearly gets a kick out of this conversation, "Oh please, don't flatter me princess. I severely doubt little miss fox-wolf would lower her standards enough to look at me, let alone take any interest. But I'll keep an eye on her, and between the two of us maybe she'll stay in line. Maybe."

He'll fiddle with his pocket one more time. "Besides, no matter how hopeless it is, I'm already beholden to someone." a thought comes to him, and with it a wistful smile, "Say there's an idea, how about one more story, just a short one. I'll tell you where I got this." he takes out the flask and slides it across the table towards Naku. Then he forces himself to remove his hand from atop it to reveal it facing down this time, the mask of comedy grinning upwards and gleaming dully in the Inn's lights.
    "S'my hope."
    Naku admits.

Then, for the story:
    "Of course. I like stories."
    She looks down at the flask, then.
    "Just to say now, I can't drink anything that's in there . . ."
    Last edited by Mee; 2011-10-12 at 08:42 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

"S'my hope."
    Naku admits.

Then, for the story:
    "Of course. I like stories."
    She looks down at the flask, then.
    "Just to say now, I can't drink anything that's in there . . ."
    "It's empty. Why it's empty has to do with why I have it in the first place." Ceres pauses, wondering where to begin, "I don't suppose you have any particular knowledge of the Objects? It would help if you did, but I can work around it otherwise. To explain them would take all night."
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-12 at 09:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

"It's empty. Why it's empty has to do with why I have it in the first place." Ceres pauses, wondering where to begin, "I don't suppose you have any particular knowledge of the Objects? It would help if you did, but I can work around it otherwise. To explain them would take all night."
    "M~"
    Naku pauses slightly, pursing her lips.
    "~kay.
    But no, I don't know of these . . . Objects.
    Sorry."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

"M~"
    Naku pauses slightly, pursing her lips.
    "~kay.
    But no, I don't know of these . . . Objects.
    Sorry."
    "S'okay. Suffice it to say, I ended up Seeking one of the Objects, and things went well. They went very well. But messing with cosmic forces beyond the mortal ken requires sacrifices... And I had nothing to sacrifice." Ceres runs a hand through his current form's sparse grey hair to distract himself, reveling in the sensation, "So whoever was judging me gave me everything I could have ever wanted, and made me choose to give it all up for what I sought."

A quiet sigh escapes his lips, and he goes to take the flask back before suddenly thinking better of it and letting his hand drop to the table with a thunk, "And I did it, sorry chump that I was. Heh, imagine your perfect partner, the mate to your soul, absolute perfection in everything. Whatever you're thinking of, it can't compare to the real thing. Having someone know everything about you at a glance, all your faults somehow endearing, all your accomplishments enrapturing... and even worse, the second you lay eyes on them you can tell you know them better than you know yourself. It's invigorating, to have just one person from which there are no more secrets, just understanding." his traitorous hand has been creeping across the table as he speaks, and he can't stop himself from brushing his fingertips over the flask's cap with a sad smile.

"And then you give away your only chance to spend eternity in bliss for a flask full of power and a cheap new parlor trick."

He'll look up at Naku, although he really isn't seeing her. His mind is in another place. "And the worst part is, I new from the start that it was all an illusion. She was just another demon's trick, and if I fell for her I'd go straight to... well wherever they keep you. The sick thing is, that was the best part."

He's silent for a long time, counting the grains in the table and resolutely not looking at the flask he's even now rocking gently back and forth with light touches.

"And she knew that too. So now this is all I'll ever have to remember her with, and it'll never be enough."
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-12 at 11:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

After a few moments to think, Naku just shakes her head.
    "I can't even imagine that, I'm afraid . . .

But if she was a demon trick,"

She asks, slowly, and trying not to pry but just unable to help herself,
    "Wouldn't they have let you be disillusioned for a while, then rip her away regardless?"

Awww.
    Now she's all sad and stuff.
    Sad stories are sad.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Mateo remains sitting and staring in his corner. It's slightly creepy, actually. The scruffy vampire's not sure why he came, really. He doesn't socialise much; other vampires play politics and aren't trustworthy, liches play politics and aren't trustworthy, ghouls aren't good at conversation (decomposing tongues) and everything else is going to die. Possibly when he gets hungry.

21. - Top - End - #141

After a few moments to think, Naku just shakes her head.
    "I can't even imagine that, I'm afraid . . .

But if she was a demon trick,"

She asks, slowly, and trying not to pry but just unable to help herself,
    "Wouldn't they have let you be disillusioned for a while, then rip her away regardless?"

Awww.
    Now she's all sad and stuff.
    Sad stories are sad.
    "Oh yes... and we both knew that. But that's not why I let her go. It was for greed, and nothing else."

Ceres looks up suddenly, smile back firmly on his face, "Heh, I guess this should be facing up the other way. I was all geared up to tell you a cheery little story to while the day away... I guess I just don't have much cheer left in me right at the moment." so with a flick of his fingers the flask tips over on its end, leaving the tragic mask facing up again.

"Say, I think your kin is back from his little nap, if you think he needs a ghost story send him over my way."

((Translation, Earl of Purple is back online.))

22. - Top - End - #142

"Oh yes... and we both knew that. But that's not why I let her go. It was for greed, and nothing else."

Ceres looks up suddenly, smile back firmly on his face, "Heh, I guess this should be facing up the other way. I was all geared up to tell you a cheery little story to while the day away... I guess I just don't have much cheer left in me right at the moment." so with a flick of his fingers the flask tips over on its end, leaving the tragic mask facing up again.

"Say, I think your kin is back from his little nap, if you think he needs a ghost story send him over my way."

((Translation, Earl of Purple is back online.))
    Naku just nods at all this.
    "Tell you what, later, I'll tell you about the vampires I know.
    Sound like a deal?"

She asks, smiling slightly at Ceres, and standing up.
    Now that she knows more of his story, she doesn't exactly pity him, but she does feel really, really sorry for the guy.

Then she heads over to Mateo.
    "Can . . . I get you . . . anything?"
    She asks, very, very nervous all of a sudden.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes. Do you have anything for vampires?" Mateo's hoping for some elven blood; it's so much nicer than anything human. Especially if it's fresh from the neck of some wood elf hunter who believed themselves safe from what looked like a battered human lost in the woods deep at night.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Yes. Do you have anything for vampires?" Mateo's hoping for some elven blood; it's so much nicer than anything human. Especially if it's fresh from the neck of some wood elf hunter who believed themselves safe from what looked like a battered human lost in the woods deep at night.
    "We . . . have . . . um . . . some great salads.
    I'll vouch for them myself.
    They're great."

Awww, confused to the point of repeating herself.
    And really.
    Salads?

She fidgets from foot to foot slightly, like she wants to run . . .
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

"I can't taste or gain sustenance from human food, not even blood oranges. Do you have any blood, or Ichor Liquor?" Mateo's voice is carefully modulated not to reveal anything, something he's good at, and he's staring at Naku's face.

26. - Top - End - #146

"I can't taste or gain sustenance from human food, not even blood oranges. Do you have any blood, or Ichor Liquor?" Mateo's voice is carefully modulated not to reveal anything, something he's good at, and he's staring at Naku's face.
    Hmm.
    That was something she hadn't been warned of.
    This could be bad.
    "I think we do, but you'd have to ask someone besides me to deal with it . . ."
    Naku says, shifting from foot to foot again.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Mateo slowly nods. "I see. May I ask why?" He still hasn't blinked, nor has his eyes moved from Naku's face. I don't think he's trying to be creepy; he just doesn't socialise often in unfamiliar surroundings.

28. - Top - End - #148

Mateo slowly nods. "I see. May I ask why?" He still hasn't blinked, nor has his eyes moved from Naku's face. I don't think he's trying to be creepy; he just doesn't socialise often in unfamiliar surroundings.
    "Because I don't risk handling the stuff, I'm afraid . . ."
    Naku says slowly, backing away a step.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

"If you are that scared of your nature, why do you work with mortals? It's hard not to kill them, sometimes." Mateo's 'sometimes' aren't the same 'sometimes' as other vampires. His usually involve a group of elvish archers attacking from tree tops, rather than a group of muggers in a dark alleyway.

But he tries not to kill them.

30. - Top - End - #150

"If you are that scared of your nature, why do you work with mortals? It's hard not to kill them, sometimes." Mateo's 'sometimes' aren't the same 'sometimes' as other vampires. His usually involve a group of elvish archers attacking from tree tops, rather than a group of muggers in a dark alleyway.

But he tries not to kill them.
    "I . . .
    Am already having a day to day struggle to keep the Madness away.
    I'd rather not willingly make it worse."

Is all she offers as an explanation as she heads off to find someone else to serve Mateo, as she can't do it.
    Show