New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXVI: Applebloom to Zecora!

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    mufcakes.
    This word sounds horribly dirty and inappropriate for polite conversation, especially out of context. I would not be surprised to get slapped for saying "I like eating mufcakes."
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Clockwork RP
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guardsman blinked in confusion at the replies, at a loss of how to deal with such a complicated situation on his first assignment away from the capitol.

"I, er ... I'm not sure why she might think it funny, but my orders come from Her Royal Highness, the Light of Dawn, Princess Celestia herself!" He exclaimed, swelling with pride as did so.

Reaching into his saddlebags, he pulled out the piece of parchment containing his instructions and held it up for the two travellers to read. In barely legigible hoofwriting, it stated;

"Igneous, you moron.

Get the hay out of our barracks and go bother somepony else. In fact, why don't you go latch on to the furst first poor pony you see and leave us in peace for a while. Just go guard them for a bit instead of the mess hall okay? That way we might be able to have our lunch on time for once.

Sined

Cerulean Skies
    HRH Princess Celestia"

"So as you can see" he continued, stuffing the parchment back into his saddlebags before either had a chance to respond. "my orders are quite explicit. And as you are the first people I've encountered on this road today, I am therefore at your command. Sir, Milady"

His excitement was plain on his face as he already began imagining the adventures he was going to have.

"So, where might we be headed today?"

I second fridge-raiding Derpy. Plus third wheel derpy is also adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charger looked from the paper back to the guardpony, looking for any sense of irony. When it didn't present itself, she briefly looked to see if he happened to have walleyes.

Well, there were two options - either he was that simple, or he was aware of the absurdity of the situation and deciding to go ahead with it out of duty. Either case, he could not be blamed, so she may as well be civil. "Introductions should come first; I am Charger."
    RP:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was a slight click as the clockwork pony's eyes adjusted to read the letter presented by the guard. By the end, he was struggling to hold back a laugh, but instead he managed a friendly smile. Whether the unicorn was oblivious or simply very faithful, there was something charming about his optimism.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both! My name's Second Hand, although my friends sometimes call me Sek. I was just headed to see a mechanic friend of mine who lives on the far side of Canterlot. I'd be glad for some company, if you don't mind heading that way." Here the mechanical pony glanced between Igneous and Charger, hoping his invitation was clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Making beer taste at least 20% better doesn't count?
    May I humbly submit that there are good beers out there? Some are actually quite enjoyable; I've had Belgians (and one English Cask Ale) that I would legitimately describe as delicious, and actually slightly sweet, though not in a disgusting way.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    At the risk of sounding pedantic, I'd like to chime in on the "cupcakes vs. muffins" issue.

Muffins and cupcakes are different. There's a fuzzy wuzzy line between them, to be sure, and suffice to say that there are things that could fall into either category. However, to characterize cupcakes as frosted muffins, or muffins as unfrosted cupcakes, is to disservice to both baked goods.

Muffins are denser and more breadlike. Cupcakes are lighter and more cakelike. They're cooked at different temperatures, have different degrees of flour used in them, and are generally different in texture.

I recall an interesting experiment conducted in which similar muffin and cupcake recipes were used to bake a batch of both. They were then given to testers, unlabeled, and the testers were then asked to decide which was a muffin and which was a cupcake.

In one group, both the muffins and the cupcakes were frosted and while the testers were able to determine a difference between the two baked goods, they were unable to determine which was a muffin and which was a cupcake.

In another, both muffins and cupcakes were unfrosted and the testers were able to tell right away which was a muffin and which a cupcake. The difference in textures gave it away right away.
    I'm convinced that all this talk of muffins has been a secret conspiracy to get me to fire up the oven and haul out the muffin mix that's been lurking in my pantry for a while now...

So hungry for muffins...

Also, have some pictures! Pictures of ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bukkit!Twilight is adorable
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

This word sounds horribly dirty and inappropriate for polite conversation, especially out of context. I would not be surprised to get slapped for saying "I like eating mufcakes."
    I watch ponies for the mufcake. And the applesauce.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-10-06 at 09:55 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    May I humbly submit that there are good beers out there? Some are actually quite enjoyable; I've had Belgians (and one English Cask Ale) that I would legitimately describe as delicious, and actually slightly sweet, though not in a disgusting way.
    Oh, I know there are, I like Guinness alright, but I live in America, so 95% of all available beers are crud. I don't really drink though. And as long as we're on the topic of alcohol, I have something for you Midnight. Show it to Twilight.

http://askprincesscelestia.tumblr.com/post/7406092334
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-10-06 at 09:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Banned

Ok, read some of the tumblr.

Spoiler
    Show

It did nothing to change my stance one way or another.
    See, any group culture will have it's bad spots. Ironically, the tumblr linked is also a contributing black spot on the fandom. Deriding and demonizing bad stuff makes sense, but it's like murdering a murderer. You're not coming out ahead. This guy isn't out to hang anything, he's just decided to be a moral high ground troll instead of a rapefic troll or ecchi art troll. Yes, I'm using troll incorrectly, but you know what I mean. So the tumblr is a no go as an argument.

You have a case all on your own though. First, some assessments.

I feel vaguely judged. That's 99% my own insecurity and I'll fully admit it, but still. I'm being put not the defensive and it colors my argument. Ive been on both sides, see. Remember me arguing that certain things should be kept behind closed doors? Part of me feels this is behind closed doors. Part of me feels like cud for allowing my standards to slip for a guilty pleasure.

I also feel a bit defensive because there is an air of Sweet Sorrow. That is, of partings. I worry that maybe we are going to lose you, and even though that may be the best thing for you, I'll be losing another friend here and I want to selfishly shoot down your attempts to go. I won't! Goodness knows I'd do all sorts of selfless things just to pine afterwards. Too many books like the Book of Three, you see. So yes, I want you to shut up and stay. I want you to grow as a person, and do the right thing so much more, and that's what I'll help you with.

I think you, too, are acting defensively. It's driven home because you realize, to your horror, you have slippery-sloped into doing something that six, eight months ago you'd be upset for someone accusing you of. You tolerate actions (read: don't actively condemn) that are obviously against your moral structure. Is tolerance the same as active support?

That's where things fall apart. An old Irish bit of morality is that every situation deserves to be measured and judged on it's own merits, and I've always loved that. So while yes, tolerating say, rape is bad. Tolerating risqué innuendo is trickier. Then you have to branch out further.
    How far are they taking this? Should I infer these people are actually considering relations with ungulates, or should I consider it a joke? Well, that's too broad, you have to break it down by poster. With me, you'd have to break down how serious I am by time of day, weather, season and such. I wish I were kidding.

It looks a lot like you're considering avoiding any sort of grade whatsoever ou of fear you'll find one that you'll slide down, and that's terrible. As Garth Brooks put it, you'd be standing outside the fire. I truly wouldn't wish that on anypony.

That beig said, I'm not so sure as I may sound. I readjust my scale all the time. I can certainly agree that we may not give the best impression at casual glance, but is that a valid rubric? Casual glance I mean. We have moral discussions that don't derail, literature seminars, math help, and civil discourse. If a Mrs. Jones stumbles upon us and can only see immature adults getting excited over horse sex, that says more about mrs. jones than us. Which would again, be demonization, because the guy who spends all his time focused on how sick and wrong those pedophiles are and wants to hurt the pedophiles and punish them for their pedophilia...

He has pedophilia on the brain, to a higher degree, than his chosen targets.

Now I don't want to imply you're anywhere near this range. Far from it, you are one of the most level berks I've met on this here internet. Whatever you eventually decide on, I'm sure it's going to be the best path for you.

But you want to clean up the playground? I don't know that I can say objectively that it needs it. What needs cleaning? As an actual question. I'm sitting here waiting to act on your wisdom. What do I do? I think knowing how you would have me act specifically would give me insight into his, your trouble.

Commodore, reverse everypony's advice. Rectangles are masculine, curves are feminine... Traingles and sharp points are insectile, which is also feminine.

RebelHero, read a bit of Ponyard's Lament. I am on the fence as to whether it's no my cup of tea or I've just been too stressed to relax into the story. I suspect it's the latter, luckily.

However, I do see what you mean (or another meant, can't recall) about your pronoun use. I'm going to use an overcomplicated symbol thingy to explain.

When nailing boards down, you don't want too many nails. They actually weaken the structure. Similarly, when nailing down perspective, don't over-do it. Ponyard only needs to be referenced a bit, and then you have to trust that the audience sees things from his point of view. Using he, him, his, Ponyard's, or Kipling's every sentence weakens the structure. The first time you establish POV. Then, instead of letting the audience know they are seeing from that POV and moving on, you continue to reference it, and it becomes distracting.

Does that make sense? I mean, I'm one of the last guys to give literary advice, but I figured I couldn't tell you I was going to read it then not say anything. Also note I'm not done, so I may view it differently nex time.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-10-06 at 10:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp. I knew that would be a controversial topic. To clarify:

Spoiler
    Show
    First and foremost, I wish to assure you that I am not going to go on a crusade, creating the Playground Pony Protection Program and hunting down the unbelievers. This is an intensely personal thing, and my conviction is centered around my own being rather than the community as a whole.

See, I think there are two ways that you can get people to act in a way that you find proper. You can force them to do so, yell or threaten or bribe, or you can give them an example to live up to. And it's highly improbable that I could coerce the entire fandom to think like I do, but the way I act will influence other people - for good or bad. Which leads back to me again, and my own actions.

See, I've been ruminating lately over a couple of topics: how our actions belie our ideals, how we effect those around us through our actions, how we can shape ourselves through our thoughts and acting upon our beliefs, how too often I act on instinct without thought of the consequences, and then this comes along and ties all of those together in a way that hits me right there in the gut. The catalyst for the churning wasn't, "Look at all these horrible, horrible people," (though, to be honest, there's still that reflex down in my gut that says that) but, "I'm glad I'm not this kind of waiiiiiiiiiiit a sec..."

So, to answer Thanqol, about what my goals are with that big ol' ramble: names have power. I could be the Shallow and Thoughtless Human who acts without consideration of how my actions will shape me, and what I will become, or I can actually be the Pure and Honest Fox Raz. Which, you know, could be more than a winking joke of a name.

What that will practically mean, I'm not quite sure yet, but you can bet your last dollar that I'll be putting a bit more thought into how I post, and how I present myself, and how I interact with the fandom as a whole. As Thanqol said, it's about mastery of self (with assistance), and realizing that I wasn't satisfied with how I've acted thus far, in accordance with my own ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Talk to Raz and Thanqol first. And Phoe and Esper if those two have the time for it. In depth. There are different levels of abstraction necessary for different stories, methods of telling, etc. Developing a feel for the science is an art. Rushing in too soon leads to crashing into a wall; too late leads to panicking when things don't go the way you expected. Balance is required.
    What, talk to me? I'm... well, I sometimes feel like that guy who can squeeze off a perfect bullseye without being able to explain exactly how he can, just because he's been studying guns since he was seven and shooting for a little while now, and because he's also getting some tweaks on his technique from more experienced shooters. I've got talent, and some technique, but not nearly enough to actually be able to tell someone how to write.

Unless they're looking for basic advice like "Use the right sentence length, and let your thoughts roll together, so it's not choppy - use and, but, semicolons and dashes to keep your sentences long and flowing," or "The difference between the right word and the nearly-right word is like the difference between the lightning and the lightning-bug".

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]*Sigh*
    I actually really like to RP, but I feel nervous about joining something already established, the same about starting something new, so I'm forced into my one fall-back which is to RP against myself. How did you even escape anyway? My one excuse for this is that I came up with it first.

And I always feel like I'm intruding on the thread when I post......

Sorry again.
    Shadowy. Shadowy, look at me. Look at me.

You are NOT intruding on the thread. That's like intruding on a party. Everyone here wants to meet you. Sure, there are a couple of celebrities in the center of the room with their fancy multi-quotes and fanfics, but there's always a conversation going on between interested parties, and who knows when your off-hand comment will spark a discussion?

Now socialize, my good pony, and thrive in the endless party that is Ponythread!

Spoiler
    Show
    The haremizer and the bondage stuff was all for laughs, as far as I could tell. Same with the whole "Ponies wearing clothes is naughty" stuff. Plus, because the characters in the show have actual personalities, I would not be surprised if there's a section of the Equestrian population, that hopefully we will never see in show, who's actually into bondage/harem outfits.

It really doesn't matter anyways. Even in a series with characters designed to promote sexual fantasies, there would still be people who'd complain every time they saw or read something involving the characters doing sexual stuff. So don't let some in jokes with friends make you feel bad, especially since someone winding up inexplicably tangled in rope is a comedy staple.
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, that is, to an extent, still my opinion. It was fun, it opened up avenues of discussion and pulled the main partiers of the party that is the thread further together. It's just that when I step back and ask myself, "So, would I be able to admit to anyone that I'd just had a short RP involving ponies in harem outfits that tied each other up, but it wasn't anything naughty, really?"

Secrets and lies, it's all secrets and lies with this pony.

On the one hand, fun. It was fun. On the other hand, it's important not only to abstain from that which stains the clothes of this life, but that which gives the impression of it, as well. And an ideal held, which never impacts one's life, is worse than useless.

Aia, aia. Making choices over one's actions isn't always easy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    Spoiler
    Show
    It did nothing to change my stance one way or another.
    See, any group culture will have it's bad spots. Ironically, the tumblr linked is also a contributing black spot on the fandom. Deriding and demonizing bad stuff makes sense, but it's like murdering a murderer. You're not coming out ahead. This guy isn't out to hang anything, he's just decided to be a moral high ground troll instead of a rapefic troll or ecchi art troll. Yes, I'm using troll incorrectly, but you know what I mean. So the tumblr is a no go as an argument.

You have a case all on your own though. First, some assessments.

I feel vaguely judged. That's 99% my own insecurity and I'll fully admit it, but still. I'm being put not the defensive and it colors my argument. Ive been on both sides, see. Remember me arguing that certain things should be kept behind closed doors? Part of me feels this is behind closed doors. Part of me feels like cud for allowing my standards to slip for a guilty pleasure.

I also feel a bit defensive because there is an air of Sweet Sorrow. That is, of partings. I worry that maybe we are going to lose you, and even though that may be the best thing for you, I'll be losing another friend here and I want to selfishly shoot down your attempts to go. I won't! Goodness knows I'd do all sorts of selfless things just to pine afterwards. Too many books like the Book of Three, you see. So yes, I want you to shut up and stay. I want you to grow as a person, and do the right thing so much more, and that's what I'll help you with.

I think you, too, are acting defensively. It's driven home because you realize, to your horror, you have slippery-sloped into doing something that six, eight months ago you'd be upset for someone accusing you of. You tolerate actions (read: don't actively condemn) that are obviously against your moral structure. Is tolerance the same as active support?

That's where things fall apart. An old Irish bit of morality is that every situation deserves to be measured and judged on it's own merits, and I've always loved that. So while yes, tolerating say, rape is bad. Tolerating risqué innuendo is trickier. Then you have to branch out further.
    How far are they taking this? Should I infer these people are actually considering relations with ungulates, or should I consider it a joke? Well, that's too broad, you have to break it down by poster. With me, you'd have to break down how serious I am by time of day, weather, season and such. I wish I were kidding.

It looks a lot like you're considering avoiding any sort of grade whatsoever ou of fear you'll find one that you'll slide down, and that's terrible. As Garth Brooks put it, you'd be standing outside the fire. I truly wouldn't wish that on anypony.

That beig said, I'm not so sure as I may sound. I readjust my scale all the time. I can certainly agree that we may not give the best impression at casual glance, but is that a valid rubric? Casual glance I mean. We have moral discussions that don't derail, literature seminars, math help, and civil discourse. If a Mrs. Jones stumbles upon us and can only see immature adults getting excited over horse sex, that says more about mrs. jones than us. Which would again, be demonization, because the guy who spends all his time focused on how sick and wrong those pedophiles are and wants to hurt the pedophiles and punish them for their pedophilia...

He has pedophilia on the brain, to a higher degree, than his chosen targets.

Now I don't want to imply you're anywhere near this range. Far from it, you are one of the most level berks I've met on this here internet. Whatever you eventually decide on, I'm sure it's going to be the best path for you.

But you want to clean up the playground? I don't know that I can say objectively that it needs it. What needs cleaning? As an actual question. I'm sitting here waiting to act on your wisdom. What do I do? I think knowing how you would have me act specifically would give me insight into his, your trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    First: I'm not going anywhere. Well, okay, I am trying to wean m'self off the compulsive thread-checking so that I can focus on stuff that's actually important, but you're stuck with me for a while yet. The fandom still has a million amazing things before tea, and I still love you all, bondage and haremization and all, it's just struck me that my own place in it isn't exactly where I'd like it to be. I'm acting without thought, without consideration, and I know I've used those words way too many times but I'll keep using them anyway.

Second: if anything, I think I was less defensive and more flagellating. I have a tendency, when I find something out-of-order in my life, to blame myself first and foremost. I get angry at myself, upset at myself, etcetera. Combined with the asking myself about ideals and how I've acted upon them... yeah, it probably comes off as defensive, but I'm not angry or disappointed with anyone here. Just myself, and how I present myself, and how my brainpan reacts when it sees, say, Princess Molestia fanart on the 'booru.

I'm also young enough, and foolish enough, and know enough about my youthful foolishness, to put my foot down when I come across a grade, slope, what-have-you. Because I know, from experience, that if I don't step back I'll continue on down. That is How I Work. So if I see a line I don't want to cross, a front that I can't continue to present, I'll ramble at length about it in front of an audience that won't give me weird looks every time we pass in the hall, so that I feel indebted to you all. That I can't backslide and say to myself, later, "Well, maybe that line isn't so bad, after all, I can put one foot on the slide and stay up here just fine," when I put it on the line before such a collection of people I value so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    On an unrelated note: It is almost Friday, which means one more day to new pony.
    Heh. Aheheheh. Ahahahahehehehahahehehahahahahahahahahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2011-10-06 at 10:21 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Excuse me for a moment while I rant.

Spoiler
    Show

This is dumb and patently absurd.
    Thinking uses chemical transmission as well as electrical.
    Thinking is brain Chemistry.
    Brain chemistry is thinking.

DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S NOVEL TO TELL ME CHANGING WHAT I THINK CHANGES WHAT I THINK?!

I mean seriously! Science, I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this, but get over yourself. The maxim of exploring everything means investigate and report, sure. That doesn't mean you have to assume everyone who ever came before you was an idiot, a charletan, and couldn't wipe themselves if you didn't have a chart, diagram and full text explaining it.

Positive thoughts breed positive thoughts. People who are constantly in environments of strife and violence become violent on the pathological level. Depression is hard to break because being depressed makes it harder to get unrepressed. Like begets like.

Every system I've ever seen since I took an interest in learning has started with the (understandable) assumption that I am not an idiot, and this principle is true. My parents told me this; grandparents, teachers, and experience.

Why does it need to be spelled out in a scientific text?!
    Don't answer that. I understand why. I even, now that this is out of my system, endorse it. I think it was a rage against blind faith in SCIENCE! that I've had building for a while now.

Ach. Rage depleted. Tired now. Need to get to level up, gain tireless rage.
    See, that's the thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Consequence of Errors
    Ancient Greek philosophers laid the groundwork for the scientific tradition of critical inquiry, but they nevertheless missed out on one aspect important to modern science. Many philosophers obtained their results through a tradition of contemplation and thought rather than experimental procedure, which, not surprisingly, led to errors. Aristotle's belief that the brain is a cooling organ for the blood was definitely not based on anything that scientists today would consider scientific evidence. He also thought that in humans, goats and pigs, males have more teeth than females, a notion easy enough to correct. His statement that flies have four legs was repeated in natural history texts for more than a thousand years despite the fact that a little counting would have proven otherwise.
    Stating the obvious is important, much more so than explaining the esoteric. People take the obvious for granted, they don't think about it, and they get it wrong pretty consistently. That doesn't make them dumb, of course, it makes them people. It doesn't mean that I think ancient people were charlatans just because I want to test their claims empirically. The whole purpose of science is to make sure that what we know is true, so that we don't just have to accept Facts as facts and Truth as truth.

You can't have faith in science. You can have faith in scientists, but the good ones qualify everything they say and it can get very hard to worship that kind of cautious indecisiveness. You're doing it jokingly, but you're personifying a method of systematic investigation (I just mean, "let's double check our work") like it has feelings or bias, like it cares whether Aristotle knew how many legs flies had or not. It doesn't. The community has problems, and information gets lost on it's way to the outside world a lot, but the method is simple and honest. Let's make sure this is right. That's all it boils down to. That's reasonable, isn't it?
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

Noooooo.

Everyone in my office is sick. I was one of maybe five people to NOT get it. Now... I'm afraid my immune system is losing the good fight.

Time to go to sleep and drink a gallon of OJ in the morning. We'll see how productive I end up being, whether or not Ido being sick means more or less pony while at work.

Oh, I drew a crappy discord over in my drawthread, if anyone's interested in taking a look. I'm literally too tired to post the link myself right now...

Night all.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

If it helps the discussion any, I'll point out that I was reluctant at first to read any kind of pony fiction just because I knew there was erotic material out there and I didn't want it to spoil my enjoyment of teh ponies. Since then, I've read a ton of wonderful, deeply-moving stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    And I always feel like I'm intruding on the thread when I post......

Sorry again.
    I feel that way every single time I post. Every Single Time. Even now. Just relax and enjoy yourself. I also need to tell myself that more often.
    Last edited by Beeskee; 2011-10-06 at 10:14 PM.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

PonyFort: IC and OOC threads.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Noooooo.

Everyone in my office is sick. I was one of maybe five people to NOT get it. Now... I'm afraid my immune system is losing the good fight.

Time to go to sleep and drink a gallon of OJ in the morning. We'll see how productive I end up being, whether or not Ido being sick means more or less pony while at work.

Oh, I drew a crappy discord over in my drawthread, if anyone's interested in taking a look. I'm literally too tired to post the link myself right now...

Night all.
    Man, I get you. I've been from allergies to sore throat to fine to different sore throat these past few weeks, and it has not been pleasant.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-10-06 at 10:14 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Banned

Actually, Raz, I would appreciate any opinions you have on that Blueblood isn't a Gilda spiel I did some pages ago. I mean, if anypony knows how painful rewriting can be, it's you and Thanqy. I trust you guys to have the right level of gentle and brutal.

I'd also like to say that you clarified, but I would still like answers to specific questions I posed, if it's not too much trouble.

Shadowy, he's totally right mate. Don't make me RP at you, I'll come up with some convoluted stuff. Nopony wants another Sea of Dreams debacle.

Ugh. Beeskee, no! No! Not intruding, being included!
    Here's a secret. I felt the same way, once. Then I said something about just shutting up and letting the smart ponies talk, and just agree when one of them says my opinion better than I myself could.
    And then either Druid Droid or Amishpirate (I think Amish? Avatars were different back then) said "you are one of the smart ponies". It kinda changed my perspective, so here goes...

Shadowy, Beeskee, you guys are the thread. You cNt intrude on yourself! Even Fluttershy can't do that. I've gone asking around when you disappeared, Shadowy, and I've told you, Beeskee, that you needn't feel weird about posting. It's all true.

So let's PARTY!

Kindablue. It is entirely reasonable, and I am getting mad at a concept because some of the folks who conceptualize are bonkers. I've jut been dealin with a lot of this lately. It's aggravating.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, I has a question. It's in the shiny new spoiler in my sig.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Banned

Nope :3

I've been wondering where Berry Ann went off to, actually.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I watch ponies for the mufcake. And the applesauce.
    you dont watch it for the plot?
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

[color="green"]Actually, Raz, I would appreciate any opinions you have on that Blueblood isn't a Gilda spiel I did some pages ago. I mean, if anypony knows how painful rewriting can be, it's you and Thanqy. I trust you guys to have the right level of gentle and brutal.

I'd also like to say that you clarified, but I would still like answers to specific questions I posed, if it's not too much trouble.
    Ugh, I am entirely too tired, because all the questions you posed look rhetorical to m'eyes. Would you mind PMing me the specific questions y'want answered? Gracias.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am way too tired to go over a full grammar/spelling check, but I must point out that the iPhone will always substitute it's for its. This is a recurring problem. Also, you often refer to the main character as Prince, rather than Blueblood or Prince Blueblood or the Prince.

Storywise? You had me sold on it the first time I read it. It flows well, it makes Blueblood sympathetic (though at the cost of Celestia's character in the fic, I feel- one must rise, another must fall), and it never felt contrived. Well, the sudden "I'm in love" at the end was, indeed, sudden, but that may be the effect you're going for. Also, the main conflict - Blueblood vs. himself - might need a bit more emphasis so that the reader understands what the story is really about.

I liked it, and I was going to say that it might be a bit short for a EqD-published story, but it's actually probably longer than my own first two stories, so clean up the spelling and grammar and you'll have something worth publishing here.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2011-10-06 at 11:00 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, that is, to an extent, still my opinion. It was fun, it opened up avenues of discussion and pulled the main partiers of the party that is the thread further together. It's just that when I step back and ask myself, "So, would I be able to admit to anyone that I'd just had a short RP involving ponies in harem outfits that tied each other up, but it wasn't anything naughty, really?"

Secrets and lies, it's all secrets and lies with this pony.

On the one hand, fun. It was fun. On the other hand, it's important not only to abstain from that which stains the clothes of this life, but that which gives the impression of it, as well. And an ideal held, which never impacts one's life, is worse than useless.

Aia, aia. Making choices over one's actions isn't always easy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can see how it could be taken as something dirty, but I don't think it was meant that way? Along with the getting tangled up, being put in funny or body type/gender/situation inappropriate clothing is another comedy staple. Don't worry about it, it was all in good fun, it was entertaining and has created lots of humor.

I don't think we've had anything in pony thread that's actually crossed the line to inappropriate, at least in that sense. Plus, taking a deeper look at and considering the ramification of things that aren't fully explained is a normal part of discussing a show. Doesn't matter if it's physics, biology of a fictional species or parts of the society, including what they do for bedroom fun time.

Lauren Faust said that all ponies reproduce in typical mammalian biological fashion, maybe with some magic involved, so that tells us that yes, ponies do these things. Should they be part of the show? Absolutely not! Okay, maybe a bit of the biology in an episode about growing up and the changes that come with that. And only as far as "This is a natural part of growing up, don't worry. It happens to everypony" type thing, maybe ending with telling them that it's okay to ask their parents or doctor about these things if they're worried and they'll explain things. Or maybe somepony (Scootaloo maybe?) finding out they're going to have a little brother or sister. Beyond that, it really shouldn't come up in the show, because of the target audience.

That said, having a discussion about it? A little strange, but well. We're all a little strange here.

As long as there's nothing graphic being posted, simply discussing, or acknowledging that these things might exist in Equestria, and discussing how they're different in that setting then they are with humans is perfectly fine. Just like any other discussion about Equestrian society, it helps flesh out the setting and the society a bit more, and, might help someone write a story or create a background for their character. I certainly wouldn't have been able to come up with Leo's background without some of the stuff posted in earlier threads about pony combat, or discussions about the innate magical abilities of Earth Ponies and Pegasus Ponies. Also a certain, rather grimdark comic.

Please note that all of this is opinion and conjecture. Except for the stuff about Leo specifically.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp. I knew that would be a controversial topic. To clarify:

Spoiler
    Show
    First and foremost, I wish to assure you that I am not going to go on a crusade, creating the Playground Pony Protection Program and hunting down the unbelievers. This is an intensely personal thing, and my conviction is centered around my own being rather than the community as a whole.

See, I think there are two ways that you can get people to act in a way that you find proper. You can force them to do so, yell or threaten or bribe, or you can give them an example to live up to. And it's highly improbable that I could coerce the entire fandom to think like I do, but the way I act will influence other people - for good or bad. Which leads back to me again, and my own actions.

See, I've been ruminating lately over a couple of topics: how our actions belie our ideals, how we effect those around us through our actions, how we can shape ourselves through our thoughts and acting upon our beliefs, how too often I act on instinct without thought of the consequences, and then this comes along and ties all of those together in a way that hits me right there in the gut. The catalyst for the churning wasn't, "Look at all these horrible, horrible people," (though, to be honest, there's still that reflex down in my gut that says that) but, "I'm glad I'm not this kind of waiiiiiiiiiiit a sec..."

So, to answer Thanqol, about what my goals are with that big ol' ramble: names have power. I could be the Shallow and Thoughtless Human who acts without consideration of how my actions will shape me, and what I will become, or I can actually be the Pure and Honest Fox Raz. Which, you know, could be more than a winking joke of a name.

What that will practically mean, I'm not quite sure yet, but you can bet your last dollar that I'll be putting a bit more thought into how I post, and how I present myself, and how I interact with the fandom as a whole. As Thanqol said, it's about mastery of self (with assistance), and realizing that I wasn't satisfied with how I've acted thus far, in accordance with my own ideals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you know in your heart what kind of person you are. Occasionally we can lose sight of who we are, and when that happens we look in the mirror and frown at the face that is reflected back. Self improvement is a wonderful thing, but I want to make sure that you are separating that desire from the fear of the way that others might perceive you.

In your original announcement you talked about how if a concerned mother looked in on this thread she would see you as a part of that big scary faceless anomaly called "Bronies". Those sick, weird perverts. Don't lose sight of the fact that you are responsible for your own actions, and that at the end of the day those will be the things that reflect back on you. It's not the company you loosely keep by dint of sharing a single interest in. It's not pictures or cartoons or fanfiction. The thing that reflects upon you is you and only you.

You are not The Thoughtless and Shallow Human. You are not The Pure and Honest Raz_Fox. These are masks. These are playthings. Don't let them become you. Understand, and carve it into your heart that there is a difference between a couple of quips on an internet forum or the plotline of a fanfic and the actual, factual you. Do they corrupt you? Do they define you? Sometimes it's hard to tell, isn't it? Because when you get so up close to the issue it's tough to keep perspective on everything else.

Let me give you an example. You say that you've thought to yourself, "I'm glad I'm not that kind of waaaaaaaiiiiiit a sec..." But when I look at all the stuff you've done and said since I've known you, I don't see any wait a secs. You're a smart young man, charming and wonderfully creative. You shoot from the hip and always stop to wonder how it is you hit your mark. You're happy to look to others for guidance when you see their expertise, and you're not so wrapped up in yourself that you don't see the ways in which you can improve. But with all the harem pants and shipping, there has never been a single nanosecond that the name Raz_Fox has entered my head and I've thought, "now there's a pervert."

So there may in fact be a lot less wrong here than you're worried there is. I'm glad you're examining things: that's good. Thinking is good. Just please remember to take the time to examine it all thoroughly. Being a good person is a lot like being on a diet: there is no magical point at which you ever get to stop and say, "now I don't have to bother with it anymore". It's been a part of every moment of your life to now and it'll stay a part of your life until the end. So don't feel like you have to sprint, ok?

Just know that I care about you and want you to be happy. I'm not the only one. Take care.

Ick, forum posts. I'm exhausted.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope :3

I've been wondering where Berry Ann went off to, actually.
    This was a recording. The real Berry Ann, well, she's ... around. Someone assured me that stone dungeons have adequate ventilation, so I'm sure she's fine after being put in a dungeon in that place she was banished to.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-10-06 at 10:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Nopony wants another Sea of Dreams debacle.
    I'm potentially okay with this! Guess that makes me Nopony...

Anyone know a cyclops that needs blinding?

Also, it's a Phoe!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    you dont watch it for the plot?
    The joke I was making. You missed it.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The joke I was making. You missed it.
    i was playing off of it actually....hmmm maybe too subtle...shoulda wrote this

you dont watch it for the excellent plots?

and i totally mean the storylines remember...the word PLOT has an entirely new definition thanks to us here in the playground
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-10-06 at 10:58 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

22. - Top - End - #652
    Orc in the Playground

Ugh. Beeskee, no! No! Not intruding, being included!
    Here's a secret. I felt the same way, once. Then I said something about just shutting up and letting the smart ponies talk, and just agree when one of them says my opinion better than I myself could.
    And then either Druid Droid or Amishpirate (I think Amish? Avatars were different back then) said "you are one of the smart ponies". It kinda changed my perspective, so here goes...

Shadowy, Beeskee, you guys are the thread. You cNt intrude on yourself! Even Fluttershy can't do that. I've gone asking around when you disappeared, Shadowy, and I've told you, Beeskee, that you needn't feel weird about posting. It's all true.

So let's PARTY!
    It took me years to get comfortable interacting with people even a little, so yeah while I can make myself post, it takes effort. I'm still not too good at interaction either. I'm like Fluttershy in RL, lol.

You are definitely one of the smart ponies, thank you for your advice. And a party sounds good.

I think they're both cute. The artists also did a good job emulating the FiM pony style.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    i was playing off of it actually....hmmm maybe too subtle...shoulda wrote this

you dont watch it for the excellent plots?

and i totally mean the storylines
    But but but...

I was saying that mufcake was plot, or something very similar. Also referencing a pic that SiuiS posted waaaaaaaay back like 10 threads ago.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-10-06 at 11:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Barbarian in the Playground

[color="green"]

Ahh get out of my brain! How did you sum up my entire posting philosophy in these 3 sentences? Are you a wizard? O.O

That is exactly what I do, I drop in with a comment here or there, rarely doing more than letting the smart, creative ponies know that they did something smart or creative. I'm often afraid to say more, to drop in with an idea of my own for fear that my idea sucks and if it was good you guys would probably come up with it on your own anyway.

To learn that SiuiS, master of the omniposts and all around awesome guy, felt in any way similar to this is... well I don't know but I know I didn't expect it.

I certainly don't post anywhere near as often as my time lurking these threads would indicate, maybe I should change that.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Banned

avast, a Phoe!

Don't like forum posts? No fun. That's like, my only viable avenue of communication right now. Alas.

I would like to take this time to point at Phoe's post and say "pretend that's in green". Her ability to speak my mind better than me is uncanny. Luckily, I've since learned to take notes rather than complain :3

tonberrian. That's uh, that's a rather good answer. Um. Why did you banish her and put her in a dungeon in the place she was banished to?

Nine o'clock. Time to draw a diamond dog.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

tonberrian. That's uh, that's a rather good answer. Um. Why did you banish her and put her in a dungeon in the place she was banished to?
    Isn't that what everybody does to their previous avatars?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't that what everybody does to their previous avatars?
    Eep! Not when they're ponies!

Do we need to arrange a rescue mission?

28. - Top - End - #658
    Firbolg in the Playground

Important science we need to figure out:

Winona: Great fictional... I don't know... border collie? or best fictional herding dog of disputable breed?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beeskee View Post
    Eep! Not when they're ponies!

Do we need to arrange a rescue mission?
    No no, she's fine! She's in a stone dungeon, so she has plenty of air, and I even left her some food and water!

Well, apples and apple juice, but it's the same thing, right?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-10-06 at 11:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

What, talk to me? I'm... well, I sometimes feel like that guy who can squeeze off a perfect bullseye without being able to explain exactly how he can, just because he's been studying guns since he was seven and shooting for a little while now, and because he's also getting some tweaks on his technique from more experienced shooters. I've got talent, and some technique, but not nearly enough to actually be able to tell someone how to write.

Unless they're looking for basic advice like "Use the right sentence length, and let your thoughts roll together, so it's not choppy - use and, but, semicolons and dashes to keep your sentences long and flowing," or "The difference between the right word and the nearly-right word is like the difference between the lightning and the lightning-bug".
    I know what you mean, but explaining something that you understand instinctively to someone who doesn't at all really forces you to examine everything you're doing. I think it's the best way to master a skill.

A little bit, yeah.

Kindablue. It is entirely reasonable, and I am getting mad at a concept because some of the folks who conceptualize are bonkers. I've jut been dealin with a lot of this lately. It's aggravating.
    I see where you're coming from, but that's not peer review, it's opinion polling, and it doesn't have anything to do with science. I originally got interested in skepticism not because I thought everyone else was an idiot and I wanted pointers on explaining that to them, but because I was tired of exactly that kind of thing. I was tired of newspapers and faceless institutions telling me what was right without telling me how they knew what was right was right.

This is a weird tangent. Not as weird as the "what have we become" discussion, which I feel partially responsible for, but still pretty weird.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-10-06 at 11:22 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.