New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Mutants and Masterminds Power list

Okay, I'm looking to see if I can find the power list for Mutants and Masterminds, preferably the most recent addition. I went looking but I can't find it. I was hoping someone at the playground could point me in the right direction.

Also, if I could get advice on how to create the superhero I kind of want to for a game a guy at my school is cooking up.

The premise is that he's a pale kid with plant growth and control powers ala Poison Ivy. He can make plants grow, control them at will and if it's possible, I'd like to be able to give him minor pheromone secretion, a toxic touch (so he can't get too close to people) and for him to be able to sort of empathically be able to speak to plants as well. From a superhero standpoint though those three powers aren't as important I suppose if all of that's going to hurt the character from a gameplay perspective (as plant speak, toxic touch and pheromones he can't fully control are more roleplay powers)

He has knowledge of multiple types of plants and would probably keep several different types of seeds on him to facilitate using his powers if the local vegetation just wasn't doing the job. He'd also likely absorb sunlight for energy so he wouldn't need food and would really only need to stay hydrated.

As for weaknesses he's not good with extremes of heat or cold. He can handle temperatures of up to about 105 degrees and at that point he starts being virtually unable to move and extremely weak (he wilts essentially). His cold tolerance is pretty bad as well and he can't really function in temperatures below 50 degrees Farenheit. I figure certain levels of exposure at 32 degrees could even kill him.

For personality (though I suppose at this point it's less important) I've kind of got it in my head that he's crippling shy around people, especially women due to his toxic touch and the pheromone secretion making it a constant danger (this is why I wanted those couple of powers, primarily to justify a part of his personality. However, if need be I'll find another way to justify this trait of his). For whatever reason, he's not good at personal interaction and is soft spoken for a superhero. I also think that due to not being good with people he's doing the superhero thing more out of a sense of duty than a sense that it has to be done. Perhaps he feels obligated to some other hero in his back story and he's more about keeping the promise to one person he respected and admired rather than feeling any affection to the human race.
    Last edited by windweaver; 2011-11-24 at 10:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mutants and Masterminds Power list

A list of effects is here, under ''M&M Hero's Handbook PDF Preview''.
    Come, visit the exotic desert beauty of the City of Zangiers!
    (Just be sure to bring a sharp sword and sharper wits.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver View Post
    Okay, I'm looking to see if I can find the power list for Mutants and Masterminds, preferably the most recent addition. I went looking but I can't find it. I was hoping someone at the playground could point me in the right direction.

Also, if I could get advice on how to create the superhero I kind of want to for a game a guy at my school is cooking up.
    Well M&M 3rd Edition doesn't have powers per se, it has base effects that you use to build powers. Thus Poison Ivan here should probably have the Affliction effect, maybe a damage effect (although maybe not) for the toxic touch. I'm fairly certain the communication effect allows talking to plants.

Keep in mind that you don't want to make most of these powers uncontrolled, continuous and even permanent perhaps depending on what you want to achieve, but uncontrolled is not such a good idea.

As for the temperatures, those are handled via Complications.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=windweaver;12273376]He can make plants grow{/quote]
    CREATE rank whatever. Rank determines how much volume you can create and how difficult it is to break your creations. Created objects can provide cover (bushes conceal your escape), trap a creature (vines wrap around them), damage someone (drop a tree on them), or support weight (make a bridge of roots). Add whatever extras are appropriate (you might want Continuous/Permanent and Innate, probably Movable to control them, Precise to make specific plants.

minor pheromone secretion
    To do what, exactly? Possibly a low rank Affliction with only one degree of failure.

a toxic touch (so he can't get too close to people)
    Affliction, touch range, depending on your descriptors of what kind of toxin, they might be (for example) fatigued/disabled/incapacitated.

empathically be able to speak to plants
    Comprehend: Plants. Easy one.

knowledge of multiple types of plants
    Ranks in the skill Expertise: Botany.

keep several different types of seeds on him to facilitate using his powers if the local vegetation just wasn't doing the job
    Hm, this one is a bit trickier. You could apply a flaw to his Create so that it only affects available vegetation, but if you always have the seeds handy for what you need, perhaps this is better served just as a Complication - "requires seeds for vegetation not in area."

absorb sunlight for energy so he wouldn't need food and would really only need to stay hydrated.
    Immunity: Starvation, with a complication that he needs X hours of sunlight per day.

not good with extremes of heat or cold
    Complication: Weakness to heat and cold.

crippling shy around people
    Another Complication.

You will probably also want Senses: Detect Plants to figure out what vegetation is available in the area.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum