New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VII: Playground Eternal Essence

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Clearly, the ultimate butler is an enlightened mortal of some kind.
    He deserves Exaltation, but he's simply too polite to bother one to do something so base as to actually Exalt him.
    That would be far too vulgar.

And yet, if he were to be destined for Sidereal Exaltation, perhaps as a Chosen of Serenity, he could hardly refuse, could he? He would simply appear without you realizing, and instantly fade back out of the scene when he has finished his duties, going back to quiet, perfect dusting.
    I think we all know what the ultimate butler is.
    Akuma shi.tsuji desu.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    Transcendent Beast Awakening
    I would suggest you use something other than the Unwoven Coadjutor background. It grants specialties and social bonuses related to demons, which doesn't work for Chimerae. It might make slightly more sense with an addendum that it's Wyld-based specialties and social bonuses versus Raksha, but even that doesn't seem very Chimera-ish.

Perhaps just a secondary purchase of the charm that awakens the slumbering feral intelligence with a specific bonus attached. It does the same thing (pay XP for a helpful voice in your head), but you can tune it to be more elegant/appropriate.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-10-30 at 01:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I would suggest you use something other than the Unwoven Coadjutor background. It grants specialties and social bonuses related to demons, which doesn't work for Chimerae. It might make slightly more sense with an addendum that it's Wyld-based specialties and social bonuses versus Raksha, but even that doesn't seem very Chimera-ish.

Perhaps just a secondary purchase of the charm that awakens the slumbering feral intelligence with a specific bonus attached. It does the same thing (pay XP for a helpful voice in your head), but you can tune it to be more elegant/appropriate.
    Ah, true. I'd just been thinking of the Join Battle and perception bonuses. Forgot that background also gave some rather more specific bonuses as well. Meh, it's late and I've had a long day. I'll look at fixing it up tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #664

GnomePirate

Nice were these Embrance and Control the Wyld.
    Three radical changes for a Loonar. Saying so, can't a Casteless do this thing too ?

Saying so, do I think that Embrance option lets prospective lunar to learn/devise charms that mimick all Chimerae powers ? Right ?

By the way, how many dots of Artifact would Lunar Tattoos be normally worth ?
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post

Route 3, Control the Wyld:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raksha Madness Internalization
    Cost: - Mins: Essence 6, Int 6
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: -unwritten-
    The power of the Wyld is seductive, especially to the Lunar Exalted. After all, they can gain access to powers over it almost as great as those of the Fae... almost. Unfortunately, it seems they just aren't chaotic enough to control it in it's entirety. Fortunately, all Lunars possess a ready supply of Chaos, should they prove willing to unlock it.

Walking out into a region of the Wyld(At least middlemarches, though deeper areas work), the lunar begins to preform an odd sort of dance, capering around in impossible to predict patterns. The wyld around them responds in kind, the ground itself slowly reshaping itself into some dramatically appropriate form for the change to come. Any fae in the area are compelled to stop and watch unless they spend 1 WP to resist this natural mental influence, and many will even join in depending on their current (faked) personality. As the dance continues, the lunar begins to change subtly. their body remains the same, but they seem to grow more and more... real. The wyld around them is slowly revealed as the cheap imitation of Creation it is forced to be by their mere presence. Suddenly, the Lunar's tattoos flash, reconfigured subtly to allow the Lunar a thin trickle of easily controlled Wyld energy without compromising the dam that holds it back. The dance stops, and a quintet of artifacts appear on the Lunar's person, graces forged instantly from their very Exaltation. These graces are each rated at half the Lunar's essence, and serve to give the Lunar access to all Fae charms lacking the Native or Unshaped keywords. Additionally, the constant stream of Wyld energy from within grants the Lunar effectively unlimited supplies of gossamer for their charms, though it is too much a part of them to give away to others.

Short version: Gain a full set of 5 graces, with all the strengths and weaknesses that implies. The Lunar may purchase non-native fae charms(including assumptions, to supplement their shape-shifting) at 10 xp apiece, and are treated as having unlimited Gossamer for the purposes of using Fae charms.(Hardly broken, without abuse. It's easy enough for fae to gain more than they know what to do with anyway. This one might need some work, as Lunars can already get most of what it gives...)

*braces for impact* I make not assumptions about these being balanced, even with regard to each other. They have been written up far too quickly to hope for that. Hopefully though, they are close enough to be easily fixed.
    If I may offer a alternate for the 3rd route...

Going by the Shifting Wyld Tides which I'm building this off of, this should key off Wits, not Intelligence.
    Lunars can already get everything this gives except the infinite Gossamer and the Heart Grace with SWT, at lower essence. So, I make this require the Lunar to have already have and have used that knack

Spoiler
    Show
    Raksha Madness Internalization
    Cost: - Mins: Essence 6, Wits 6
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native, (Training)
    Prerequisites: Shifting Wyld Tides, Sword, Staff, Cup, and Ring Graces of one dot or higher.
    The power of the Wyld is seductive, especially to the Lunar Exalted. After all, they can gain access to powers over it almost as great as those of the Fae... almost. Unfortunately, it seems they just aren't chaotic enough to control it in it's entirety. Fortunately, all Lunars possess a ready supply of Chaos, should they prove willing to unlock it.

Walking out into a region of the Wyld (This charm must be learned in an area of at least Middlemarch intensity), the Lunar begins to preform an odd sort of dance, capering around in impossible to predict patterns. The Wyld around them responds in kind, the ground itself slowly reshaping itself into some dramatically appropriate form for the change to come. Any fae in the area are compelled to stop and watch unless they spend 1 WP to resist this natural mental influence, and many will even join in depending on their current assumption or unshaped nature. As the dance continues, the Lunar begins to change subtly. Their body remains the same, but they seem to grow more and more... real. The wyld around them is slowly revealed as the cheap imitation of Creation it is forced to be by their mere presence.
    Suddenly, the Lunar's tattoos flash and bond with their existing graces, reconfigured subtly to allow the Lunar a thin trickle of easily controlled Wyld energy without compromising the dam that holds it back, and tying their two Wyld identities together.
    The dance stops, and a fifth artifact appears on the Lunar's person, a Heart Grace embodying their Deed Name and tattooed Self. This Heart Grace is initially rated at 3 dots, but cannot be raised using Shifting Wyld Tides; it can only be increased to 4 dots following normal Raksha limits. The Lunar may immediately raise the rating of any other graces they possess (including any Way grace or custom grace) as a Training effect, up to a maximum value of half their essence, and may raise them with experience in addition to using the Sacred Hunt, his moonsilver tattoos subtly reconfiguring themselves with each such refinement of the story.
    Now completely harmonized with their own Wyld nature, the Lunar may learn Raksha charms as easily as the Faerie Princes themselves, for 6 xp each, and use Fae abilities such as Gossamer Combos and feeding on dreams.

Short version: Charms cost only 6 xp (Shifting Wyld Tides already lets you learn them for 10 xp at Essence 5 (So perhaps a compromise on 8 would be better?)), and you have to already have the non-heart graces through SWT or Forging the [Grace]. Only the heart Grace automatically goes up to 3, but you can buy up the others without eating Raksha or spending time if you have the XP. No infinite gossamer. It's easy enough to get anyway.

As for the Unwoven Coadjutor Replacement, consider the following basic refluff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    INNER MONSTER
    Having confronted and defeated the specter of chimerism lurking in her own heart, the Lunar is nevertheless not completely free of it. It is, after all, a part of herself, a possible path, and its voice an its thoughts remains there to hear, if the Lunar chooses to listen.

Note: The benefits gained at each level of this Background are cumulative.

X None. Your wyld self generally remains silent save for incidents of Limit Break. Alternatively, its mad ravings never cease and you must actively ignore its constant babble lest it drive you insane.

• Your coadjutor speaks to you on occasion and is willing to share with you its peculiar viewpoint of the Wyld and Creation. You gain a free specialty in the Ability of your choice provided that the specialty pertains to the Moon or the Wyld. Examples of suitable specialties include: Performance (Shaping Combat), Occult (Grace Magic), Survival (In the Marches), Presence (Conversing with the mad).

•• Your coadjutor has an instinctive understanding of the chaos of the Wyld and the woven lies of its inhabitants and advises you on participating in either. Add a two-die bonus to all Social rolls against Raksha and defenses or rolls to resist Shaping.

••• Your wyld potential self knows its own nature and can recognize the same in others. You can detect and identify any being of the Wyld and any being with Permanent Limit through a successful (Perception + Socialize) roll, and your player adds a two-die bonus to all Social rolls made to command or manipulate such beings.

•••• Your chimera constantly studies your surroundings for possible dangers to you, ever ready to cry out a warning. Add a two-die bonus to all Join Battle rolls.

••••• You chimera is so attuned to what happens around you that it literally provides a sixth sense. Add a two-die bonus to all Perception rolls and an additional two-die bonus to Join Battle rolls (for a total Join Battle bonus of +4).

Note, however, that that is just refluffing another Exalt type's background and I personally don't like the idea of the inner chimera voice. Even so, the demonic knowledge bonuses don't seem to me appropriate.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-10-30 at 05:27 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    ...attributed to eating fish.
    That counts for dice-adding?

ST: Roll to eat fish
    Player: Wat.
    ST: You might want to use Charms
    ST: It's gonna be a pretty difficult roll, and you're at a penalty
    Player:

7. - Top - End - #667

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    *stuff*
    Yeah, I'd had a bit of trouble with that last one. Most of the stuff I could think to give with it, Lunars can already get. Thanks for the suggestion, your version looks a lot better than what I managed to come up with.

As for the Coadjutor thing, I agree it's kinda lame to just copy the infernal background. I might just remove that bit entirely, or create a totally different background for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Nice were these Embrance and Control the Wyld.
    Three radical changes for a Loonar. Saying so, can't a Casteless do this thing too ?

Saying so, do I think that Embrance option lets prospective lunar to learn/devise charms that mimick all Chimerae powers ? Right ?

By the way, how many dots of Artifact would Lunar Tattoos be normally worth ?
    Yeah, they would all be open to casteless as well. Except possibly the third one, since altering the tattoos is a significant part of it's fluff... And yes, the 'Embrace' one would let you learn more chimera powers, likely having the next few charms in the tree devoted to it. (That one is likely the trickiest of the three to balance properly, since most of the chimera stuff was made with the intention that players NOT get it... Similarly, the 'control' option was by far the hardest to write.)

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    That counts for dice-adding?

ST: Roll to eat fish
    ST: You might want to use Charms
    ST: It's gonna be a pretty difficult roll, and you're at a penalty
    Player:
    I was wondering if anyone would notice that. My joke answer as someone who can't stand fish, I can't imagine anyone successfully putting it in their mouths without use of an excellency. My real answer is it applies to any situation that contributes to eating fish, such as their capture, preparation, and certain ways of fighting Siaka.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #669

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would notice that. My joke answer as someone who can't stand fish, I can't imagine anyone successfully putting it in their mouths without use of an excellency. My real answer is it applies to any situation that contributes to eating fish, such as their capture, preparation, and certain ways of fighting Siaka.
    You've just given me the mental image of a butler punching out a giant shark. Thank you.

10. - Top - End - #670

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    You've just given me the mental image of a butler punching out a giant shark. Thank you.
    This is what everyone should have imagined.

Even the people who aren't reading this thread.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Walter vs Leviathan
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Yet Another One of My Endless Ideas Springs Up!

The basic premise: Sidereal Astrology as a form of sorcery-style magic. Not everyone outside of fate would be immune to these astrology spells

There would be spells like:

Identify Destiny:
    A spell that basically tells you everything, or at least a lot of things, about one person who name, the spell would become less likely to function when trying to find out about higher essence beings, maybe only partial information getting through.

Track Destiny
    A spell that tracks someone with destiny, letting you know their location constantly for a period of time.

Resplendent Destiny of (Maiden):
    This is actually five versions of the same astrological spell. There would be one for each maiden, and the one you pick determines what themes you have to stick to when disguising yourself with this astrological spell, but otherwise you are free to disguise yourself however you want. This charm can be purchased multiple times though.
    For example: a Resplendent Destiny of Mercury would allow you disguise yourself as anything that travels a lot or journeys in general, from ambassadors, to a nomad, to a pirate or sailor, anything that you can think of that fits within Mercuy's purview. Similarly, Mars allows you disguise yourself as anything that fights or provokes conflict, and so on and so forth.

Destiny Alteration of (Maiden)
    Similar to the spell above, this allows you to alter someones fate through one of the methods of the maidens. The version of say, Jupiter would alter someones fate by revealing a shocking secret or keeping that secret from someone, while Saturn would alter their destiny by ending a certain thing so that something else happens instead.

Summon Terrestrial God
    The Sidereal basically summons a terrestrial god. I'm thinking that since Sidereals are supposed to manipulate gods to do things for them, a spell like this sort of makes sense. However it probably wouldn't involve any direct command stuff, just allowing the Sidereal to opportunity to manipulate the god.

and of corse, I'm thinking there would be two possible levels of Astrology: Sidereal Astrology the kind every Sidereal starts out with and can use, and Maiden Astrology which only Sidereals who specialize and focus on can attain, but has greater effects.

Astrology in general would be more subtle that normal sorcery, and keep in mind that this doesn't stop them from still learning and using Sorcery.another difference of course, is that it would be more focused and limited. I just think it a good idea to make Sidereal Astrology work like Sorcery since its a functional system outside of combat, and Sidereal Astrology is not supposed to be a combat thing and it is supernatural, so why not make it like Sorcery? It worked for Protocols and Necromancy.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #673

(Who knew a Cult rating had to be maintained?)

The Once-Perfected Suit

If one is to come up in the world, even beyond the boundaries of Creation, there is no tradition quite so noble as service. To attain the position, however, one must needs be suitably attired. What's more, the higher caste of masters and mistresses may make the occasional, fully anticipated, visit to more exotic climes, and a suit that is not up to dealing with burning green flame, partly chewed food spat by babies, and the humdrum maintenance of a vivisection and tea parlor simply will not do.

For this purpose the Suit was made, and tempered in the twin madnesses of the Wyld and of Creation (other realms exist and were employed, of course, but much like cricket obsessed elderly spinster aunts, it is somewhat gauche to mention them in polite company). When worn, it ensures that a butler might be fully focused on the mistress, or master, by taking care of any secondary inconveniences. New employers are advised to make a casual mention as to whether they prefer their passing inconveniences deceased or simply removed, as the Suit can be rather enthusiastic.

In practical terms, the Suit is always immaculate, allows its wearer to obtain any trifles the master or mistress may request at once, and seems to be utterly indestructible, a property it shares with its wearer, the Thrice-Perfected Servant. Some scholars of Raksha lore claim that the Suit is not a unique marvel, and whisper about the uses to which its companion, a blood red cloak with similar properties, may have been put to. Since these experts tend to turn up exsanguinated when they tell it too often, the tale is self-evidently false.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - The Suit is impeccable, and gets a bonus success on efforts to remain or appear thus.
    The Naming of Secrets - In one of the Suit's perfectly fitted pockets, a butler can find the Little Black Book so desired by others. With it, it takes but moments to ascertain whom a mistress is related to in town, or which businesses are run by a master's agents.
    Imposition of Law - Unless a mistress is intent on concealing her desires, or a master must play his little power games, a butler cannot conceive of failing to anticipate any mundane requests.
    Gladdening Visage - Naturally, a butler is a mere mundane person.
    Untouchable Performer Technique - And no one would ever think ill of such a person.
    Limitless Wealth Conjuration Technique - Though butlers are loath to admit it, they always have some currency ready at hand, for those times when a mistress simply must have something, or if it necessary to pass a veil of forgetfulness over a master's indiscretions.
    Mad God Mien - It's not like one expected countermagic to be of any use, really.

The Suit is under the effect of a Fantasy (or Translucent Dream Sheathing Technology) which makes it extremely difficult to soil it or its owner. As it's an artifact, it's indestructible, but there are standards.

The Twice-Perfected Key

Legends speak of a place known as the 'Servant's Quarters', where miracles of work and art take place behind the scenes, so as to ensure that any wish or desire expressed by a master or mistress is satisfied before it is halfway spoken. Creation is dull and boring, and steadfastly denies that this may be the case - within its realm, servants live in the same space as everyone else, work for (shudder) money, and are only capable of performing the possible.

A proper butler knows that while Creation's rules are well and good for the plebes, they have no cause to apply to a mistress, or master, nor to their trusted butler. Thus, the Key may be found, a simple uninteresting one on a loop holding dozens, but with a rather unique property: simply by placing it against a doorway, a butler may step into the Quarters, and there be attended by countless devoted servants who will willingly and cheerfully perform the impossible.

1-dot Chancel
    Works exactly as advertised, noting that the Quarters contain a fair number of Workers, Entertainers, and such. These can compose a Retinue, if required, and the use of Ordinary Object Conjuration (or permanent Essence Forging Art) allows truly wonderful (perfect) crumpets, among other things.

The Key is often kept in a pocket of the Suit, and it is traditional to view the Suit itself as a doorway for the Key. Certainly a butler wearing the former has no trouble reaching into its depths to find the wonders created in the latter.

If rumors of a cloak were true, which they most certainly are not, it would be possible to use such a piece of clothing as an entrance, and thus to vanish inside the cloak, or hold it open and allow terrifying beasts to emerge. But since the is no cloak, there is no need to wonder about the songs of hell that prevent its opening, the inhuman thirst of its owner, or the countless lives it has consumed.

The Thrice Perfected Servant

When rumors of the power of the Wyld rise and draw the attention of mortal-kind, the swift response and retaliation of the Exalted is never far. Wyld hunts turned against the Fair Folk, Lunars denying that which makes them unique - rather than pets - duck obsessed Sidereals... Even the returning Solars and their kin are known to face down the raw power of the Wyld, laugh at it, and wander off to do something important, like get tasty apples for dinner.

This, evidently, will not do.

The main current of Raksha thought is that the Creation-born must be threatened and attacked, warped and remade, so that they will cease to be ignored and treated as a superfluous splat briefly interrupting the path to truly worthwhile stories. Raksha with this perspective die. Repeatedly, and with little overall effect, despite the stories of Balor and Ishavra they tell themselves.

Other Fair Folk, dedicated followers of the Cup, seek instead to ingratiate themselves into the stories of Creation, loyally serving its most powerful agents. The Servant is one such, a being utterly devoted to its master, an expert in tea and courtesy, devotedly providing the comforts of home and seeing to the protection of its master's interests.

That the successive masters of the Servant have led long, illustrious lives is undeniable. That they all ended up mad, akuma, Wyld worshipers or (worse) hating cricket is pure speculation informed by jealousy and a far too narrow view of the world (as well as a proof of why gentlebeings should not serve Liquid Sarcasm to artifact reviewers).

The Servant is rumored to manifest as a small silver bell (though gold, brass, and other metals can be adopted if a mistress favors a specific pattern). When the bell is rung, or when convenient, it appears in apparently mortal form. The shape it wears is always the same for a given master, but its appearance, gender, and other such details may vary from one mistress to the next. It always wears the Suit, of course.

Character creation level Heroic Worker

Birth 3 - a satisfied mistress is all the nourishment a butler could require, and any butler can produce whatever help or materials are required when in the Servant's Quarters.
    Artifact 1 - the strict minimum necessary to possess both Key and Suit, though investing in a few other useful devices cannot hurt.
    Retinue 1 - a butler can always find a few reliable folks for whatever needs doing. Yes. Even that.
    Gossamer 2 - it is couth to introduce oneself to a new master with a fully adopted form, and one's Suit well cared for.
    (29 bonus points left)

Assumption of the Person's Heart - once a bond is formed between master and butler, it remains until death.
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - it is conceivable that a butler might be seen without its mistress, but that is quite a rare event.
    Ordinary Object Conjuration - because sometimes using the Key is just a fraction too slow.
    Worker's Gift - there is no greater Motivation than loyal service.
    Style Improving Spirit - access to at will Sorcery is a nice plus, though.
    (4 free Charms)

And that's the basics.

Now, if you want to pull off anything impressive, it's just a few more bits of Grace Magic. You've got the bonus points for it.

Or be a noble. Oh dear Sol in Yu Shan, be a noble. Grab enough Cup to acquire telepathy, figure out how Fair Folk perform Endowment so as to allow your master to learn and use Harmonious Primordial Spirit (remember to apply Spirit Flaying Meditation to your Heart so that your mistress can select to implant her Sword Grace in you, as you're now a Commoner again), toss a few spare mortals inside the Servants Quarters to ensure you can learn anything in a scene...

Edit Added the following:

The Cravat of Excellence

A proper butler is never without a cravat, and such is the power of this token that it almost seems to define the part - at least, that is what the Wyld claims, and the Wyld never lies. This particular Cravat exists solely to ensure that its butler may provide the excellent, discreet service that others can only aspire to.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - The Cravat's knot is the Platonic Ideal to which all other knots aspire.
    Fall of Night Shadows the Truth - The person wearing the Cravat is self evidently a butler, and can therefore provide anything before the thought has had enough time to form itself. Mechanically, this effect erases all memory of asking for something, and the wait for it to be delivered.
    Adaptation to Adversity - The environment does not matter to a butler.
    Gossamer Wing Flight - nor does gravity, for that matter.
    Mad God Mien - Really. Countermagic? How tasteless. Pointless, too.

Mechanically, Adaptation to Adversity has to be set in advance, so there are either many Cravats, or a resourceful butler employs a common orphan and skilled Diplomat with enough Cup to use Soul Carving Artifice. Or maybe the Cravat is remade within the realm of the Key, depending on your GM's views of time.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2011-10-31 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Typo. Added things.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice. Meschlum, you are my hero, and I bow in praise to you (maintaining your Cult rating that little bit more).
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

I suddenly want to see what Meschlum would do if he had to reproduce the entirity of Kingdom Hearts using only Fair Folk material. I think its that key that got me thinking it.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2011-10-31 at 02:17 AM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I suddenly want to see what Meschlum would do if he had to reproduce the entirity of Kingdom Hearts using only Fair Folk material. I think its that key that got me thinking it.
    The amount of effort required would either be boiled down to a small selection of perfectly elegant constructions, or cause the Wyld to spill over into reality.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

17. - Top - End - #677

That's actually not all that tough, depending on how in-depth you want it to be. A behemoth for the keyblade, an onieromancy containing Behemoth Forging Meditation to create heartless, and a treasure for the gummi ships(a canon one even). Nobodies would likely be fae using Assumption of The Person's Heart on heartless.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Now do Unversed.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

……aaaaaand meschlum steals the show again. oh well. Guess I'll take a page from his book and go make a Lunar who heavily uses Fair Folk magic or something.

20. - Top - End - #680

GnomePirate

Fair Folk do this, for all the countless sacrifices Daystar does for UCS's glory, because it's fun and they deserve it as much as they can enforce it.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

This is not the way to fix the Solar Exalted. But it's a fun couple of sessions anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Outshining The Golden Cinder
    Cost: -; Mins: Integrity 6, Essence 6; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native
    Prerequisite Charms: Rising Sun Soul, Glory to the Most High, Shedding Infinite Radiance, Should the Sun Not Rise

This is not a path to transcendence. It is merely taking what you deserve.

How long have the Solar Exalted allowed their knees to bend to the Unconquered Sun? Allowed themselves to shine with his radiance? To wield his Holy armaments? There is no justice in this. They are not bound by him and his limitations. He is not their patron, or something they should strive to be. At best he is a prototype to be surpassed. Sol Invictus holds his position by virtue of his power, but there are three hundred suns greater than he. He is a mere God, whereas they are Exalted.

The training time for this charm must be spent outdoors, under the sky. On the final day, as the sun reaches its zenith, the training is complete. The Solar raises a hand to the sky, and his anima blazes to its full height. But it is different now; a symbol that the Solar Exalted are not defined by the themes of one sun - they define it. It blazes in a color of the Solar's choosing; a different wavelength of light to represent them, and how they interpret what sunlight should be. Their caste mark changes color too, as does any expression of their charms that produce golden visual effects. This change is permanent - they are now a red sun, or a blue sun, or what-have-you. They may even choose to take a golden hue of their own, but it must be slightly different than the Unconquered Sun's light; grander and brighter - something that, when it shines at noon, those around may easily see where the light of the sun fades away from their infinite glory.

Furthermore, their anima sharpens into a column that lances into the sky, carrying a challenge to Heaven. If Ignis Divine does not appear before sundown and defeat the Solar in single combat, he forfeits his right to define what Holiness is - he admits he is not the Highest with his weakness; that his Chosen are greater. Should this transpire, the Unconquered Sun loses the ability to declare Creatures of Darkness, and his life no longer upholds the concept of Holy. Only Solar Charms may make such declarations hence, and so long as at least one Solar possesses "Should the Sun Not Rise", Holy will persist.

This special challenge may only be issued once per Solar per incarnation, utilizing this charm.

A New Day From The Ashes
    Cost: -; Mins: Integrity 6, Essence 6; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native, Training
    Prerequisite Charms: Outshining the Golden Cinder

This charm may only be learned by a Solar who has defeated the Unconquered Sun via the challenge offered by this charm's prerequisite. Indeed, defeating the Unconquered Sun teaches them this charm as a special instantaneous training effect, plunging them into XP debt if they do not have the experience to purchase it (this debt stacks with any other).

The Solar places his heel upon the Sun and smiles. His brilliant anima surges over his fallen foe, devouring the light within. Whether alive or dead, Ignis Divine shines no longer - a grey husk, severed from his panoply. While lesser wonders, such as the Godspear of All Searing Noon will melt away, something as vast and perfect as the Dirigible Engine Daystar persists. But it is the broken cinder's domain no longer. Its light pulsates and slowly transitions to match the Solar's new anima and bathe the world in its glow. However, it is not his domain either - it is property of all the Solar Exalted now, by their own divine right. This inflicts no special loyalty upon the various spirits that manage the Daystar or the Daystar itself. They will need to be made to see the righteous authority of the Solars in time.

No doubt the Celestial Bureaucracy will wish reprisal upon the Solar for this madness. However, by this charm, the Solar Exalted spiritually inherit the former position of the Sun. To lawfully persecute them, something will have to defeat the arbitrarily high Bureaucracy roll that Sol Invictus used to appoint himself in the first place. Commiserate to this position, all Solars immediately gain 1 dot of the Cult background, assuming they had less than 5, to represent residual prayers owed to them.

Promises, oaths, and fealty sworn to the Sun are now spiritual property of the Solar Exalted as well, if they are aware of them and have the presence of mind to call them in, repeal them, transfer them, or whatever they please.

(If the Sun lost the challenge by virtue of his not appearing, then he is forcibly ejected from wherever he might be, and hurtled across the world in a burning comet to land at the Solar's feet in abject humiliation. The charm continues as normal from there.)
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-10-31 at 02:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

And now I find myself wanting to play a solar who dedicates himself to training for the day when he may challenge the Unconquered Sun and learn those charms. Or at least nudge the solar in my upcoming game in that direction.

If this forum had a "Thank" button, I wouldn't pressed it by now, Xefas.

23. - Top - End - #683

GnomePirate

Xefas, aren't these charms a mite too powerful for 6 dots tier ? I wholy heartedly support it ... but even Solar charms shouldn't be this mighty at this tier, right ? And I think that no singular Solar could win the right to take the throne, at Ess 6 either.

I admit that Sol, even if he ignores everything else, would certainly rush to defeat those daring to impose upon "his" position as the Ruler of All.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

The pilot of the Daystar grimaced as someone DARED toy with the glorious vehicle's firey brilliance. With rage so great that it bypassed any need for Sol Invictus' approval, the pilot fired the Daystar's greatest weapon directly at the offender. Soon, the sun had returned to its normal color.

Or, at least, that's how I imagine it going down.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

I like the "different anima color" one. I want to be play a misunderstood Exalted hero….I just can't do it in gold. I don't know why. the golden anima, the golden charms, the golden artifacts……nope can't do it in gold. just can't. for some reason it runs against my sense of aesthetics for a misunderstood hero to have a gold motif. It throws me off.

I don't dislike the Solar Exalted….I just think of a different hero if I ever want to play them…..

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    The pilot of the Daystar grimaced as someone DARED toy with the glorious vehicle's firey brilliance. With rage so great that it bypassed any need for Sol Invictus' approval, the pilot fired the Daystar's greatest weapon directly at the offender. Soon, the sun had returned to its normal color.

Or, at least, that's how I imagine it going down.
    Wouldn't that just result in Creation being obliterated, and the Solar activating a perfect defense? Because Exalted is a terrible system?

Either way, I'm okay with this.

edit: Not that I'm saying that's what would happen. Unless the Storyteller really decided he just didn't want to play Exalted anymore. Which I'm also okay with.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-10-31 at 04:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

I think the Daystar is powerful enough to ignore perfect defenses….

I mean really if you've angered the Daystar, you've pretty much asked for the ST to destroy you.

28. - Top - End - #688

Wouldn't that just result in Creation being obliterated, and the Solar activating a perfect defense? Because Exalted is a terrible system?

Either way, I'm okay with this.

edit: Not that I'm saying that's what would happen. Unless the Storyteller really decided he just didn't want to play Exalted anymore. Which I'm also okay with.
    Nah, learning the charm counts as their activation for that turn.

I think there are no canon things that can ignore PDs, are there? Perhaps the Casque (Of Infinite Sorrows?)?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #689

GnomePirate

Extacly, and Sol eats Raksha ... not learns from them. And thus Meschlumites won the day, again !

30. - Top - End - #690
    Bugbear in the Playground

Outshining The Golden Cinder
    I am not seeing the point of a Charm that will get you killed, unless the entire point is to show the arrogance and hubris of an elder Solar before they get their ass thoroughly smote. Sol is not someone you can fight with violence alone. If you used this Charm, if he deigns to respond at all (because the challenge and associated effects are, by any standard, an attack on him and thus has absolutely no effect on him), he is going to kill you without trying, because you have done absolutely none of the things you need to do in order to fight Sol and win.

To fight Sol, and win, you need to destroy his philosophy around him. You must get him to act as something other than a shining beacon of Virtue, and reveal his own flaws. And in those moments of doubt, you kill him.

Oh, and you bring along a crapload of backup, because Sol is an absolute monster even without his Temp-shield up.

EDIT: I mean, from a purely gameplay perspective, you need to at absolute minimum drop his Temperance, or otherwise he is literally untouchable.

Of course, then he can bust out Magnanimous Unbound Sun, so, uh, yeah, good luck with that.

EDIT2: I mean, challenging the Sun to a throw-down under circumstances that remove none of his Virtues is pretty much the single dumbest thing you could do in Exalted besides jumping into Oblivion.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-10-31 at 05:26 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.