New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Twi]Chronicles of the Impaler: Crisis of Infinite Draculas OOC

I didn't mean to imply that the Free Kingdoms have dimension manipulating powers...I simply meant to suggest that they are 'naturally' occurring 'Avalon' like continents that aren't always in sync with the rest of the Earth.

Think of it this way. The more ridiculous elements are out of place in a world where most people are competent. For the same reason Zim is not fun in a world that isn't competent, competent characters are not fun in a world where failure is literally the only option.
    I think you misplaced a word: you were trying to say that Zim as a character is not fun in a world that is competent, right? [Grammar Fascist!!!]

And in response to your argument that concealing the continents requires that all the main characters and NPCs have low IQs...

That's one possibility. Or a fair portion of the characters have Wrong Genre Savvy. Grandpa Smedry by all means included.
    Last edited by Colesign; 2011-12-09 at 09:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Also: do you still want to participate in 'Crisis of Infinite Draculas', Industrious?

*Blinks rapidly*

You were awesome in it...

*GAZE UPON THESE PUPPY DOG EYES AND DESPAIR!!!!!!!*

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Colesign View Post
    And in response to your argument that concealing the continents requires that all the main characters and NPCs have low IQs...

That's one possibility. Or a fair portion of the characters have Wrong Genre Savvy. Grandpa Smedry by all means included.
    I see what you're trying to do, but I have to disagree. The idea that nobody had ever noticed the incredible discrepancies extra continents would cause means low IQs, not wrong genre savvy. Extremely low IQs.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Pixie in the Playground

Fair enough.

Of course, by the same logic, you could argue that the idea of clans of magicians existing in perfect secrecy while at the same time periodically engaging in brutal civil wars that devastate cities, maintaining their underground cover without a single dissident or surly teenager coming out with the truth to the public at large is just as implausible, and that the existence of such a thing would require everyone to have low IQs.

And what do you think of my entry for the Kid? I figured "Why let all the Draculas have fun with the long, crazy speeches?"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Also: do you still want to participate in 'Crisis of Infinite Draculas', Industrious?

*Blinks rapidly*

You were awesome in it...

*GAZE UPON THESE PUPPY DOG EYES AND DESPAIR!!!!!!!*
    Of course I do. And now that finals are over, I will be able to. Starting tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

Yayyy!!!!!!!!!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

So...what have I missed due to final exams?
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Delicious. I suppose I'm stuck doing another pointless fight, but I get that it's just filler while you set Abraham up. Hey, do you want me to play the Sultan so you can play Abraham properly?
    Also, I think Death just redefined talking smack.

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    So...what have I missed due to final exams?
    Me getting the point, and attempting to out awesome Colesign and force a coherent story out of this (I'm meeting some large success, actually).

Of course, by the same logic, you could argue that the idea of clans of magicians existing in perfect secrecy while at the same time periodically engaging in brutal civil wars that devastate cities, maintaining their underground cover without a single dissident or surly teenager coming out with the truth to the public at large is just as implausible, and that the existence of such a thing would require everyone to have low IQs.
    Not at all. A.) The magicians actually have the power to enforce it, and make it clear that they do. A surly teenager would not come out, because if he did, they'd hunt him down and kill him, and more to the point, the young don't have much freedom. Their apprenticeships are what we would call indentured slavery, so they don't get much in the way of opportunities. Hell, they have prescience to take care of that, and a surly teenager isn't as valuable as secrecy. If that's his future, they'll kill him before he even thinks of it.
    B.) it's conceivable that the higher ups would be in on the conspiracy, and helping perpetuate it. Indeed, even likely, they are keeping mutants and Metahumans under wraps, and it's easy to imagine the viceroys with court wizards. After all, it's in their favor to make nice with such an organization. If they think of metahumans as assets (and they certainly do in Code Geas) then they probably work the same way with the more powerful supernatural individuals.
    As far as I'm concerned, the Justice League is being experimented on in a lab somewhere (and the Green Man is being a not so subtle analog to Christ), Charles Xavier is keeping his team secret and hidden from the world, and Beast only has his job because he's dating a very important woman who likes him happy. And it probably goes a lot further then that.
    Why's this so important? The difference is, as Lelouch pointed out, that were any of the highly competent leaders aware, they could exterminate the librarians in moments, and the whole point is that they are hiding something that can't really be hidden, particularly from heads of state. Either shrink the organization (getting rid of the continents), or change it's focus (like I suggested with the underground movement). Or, simply say that the free kingdoms are on the brink of destruction because they're up against people who are quite willing to kill them with primitive weapons like cruise missiles, and don't seem to be fooled by their misdirection attempts like sneaking into NASA and attempting to white-out the satellite images of continents that don't exist.
    Or, you could do what I do, which is preserve the elements you like but swap their focus. For instance, continents don't really work, so instead give them a Verne esque pocket under ground, complete with dinosaurs and gemstones they grind and use to make the glass that will be the occulators, and a race of molemen. That sort of thing is much easier to justify.
    Or give them a few made up states in Europe that they manage to keep a mystery.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-12-10 at 06:42 PM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been operating on the assumption that the Librarians are simply a branch of the larger Britannian conspiracy to keep the various super things from reaching public knowledge that primarily concerns themselves with the likes of the Free Kingdoms.

The Kingdoms themselves are places more along the lines of Nightside, Gensokyo, Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World or Mystic Force's Briar Wood. They are not quite other planes of existence but also aren't quite connected to the normal world. You have to be looking for it to find it and even that's not a guarantee it will accept you.
    Rural Reign An Original Superhero Webcomic Written by Me and AteMozzarlla

Darkblade Avatar by Necropaladin

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Suppose that works.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Pixie in the Playground

The Kingdoms themselves are places more along the lines of Nightside, Gensokyo, Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World or Mystic Force's Briar Wood. They are not quite other planes of existence but also aren't quite connected to the normal world. You have to be looking for it to find it and even that's not a guarantee it will accept you.
    Totally cool with that, Darkblade.

And I'll admit, my story did lose it's coherency after Radu's Insta-Death at the hands of, well...Death.

I do have a good idea of what the new climax will be now.

And the Sultan is not what people think he is...

*See PM, Cracklord*
    Last edited by Colesign; 2011-12-11 at 02:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

So Beast got out of being experimented on by his power over the opposite sex (what, exactly, seems wrong with this picture)? Or did Abdigail get him citizen status after they hooked up?
    'C'est la vie' - Such is life.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

*See PM, Cracklord*
    ????

Try sending it again.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

I sent it after posting said message.

And to summarize: Radu the Fair Turned into a Dragon, and then got insta-killed by Death: Caine turned Simon Belmont's bones into jelly, and then Exalted into an Abyssal: Simon then got hit with a Solar Exaltation, he and Caine ducked it out, and then Simon exploited Caine's curse to grant himself an exponential amount of kinetic energy, and then he and Caine went zooming off into space, Team Rocket style. Caine will probably crashland right into the Wyld.

Meanwhile, Van Helsing's fellow hunters emerged from Cryo-storage, as Well as a Mullet wearing, unconscious Anderson (long story: he acted as a power source for the Legacy Andersons). The whole gang traded threats with Alucard, Draculvania, and Death before they and Seras Victoria went off to Istanbul to kill the Sultan (the Heroic Spirit Vlad is currently waging war against Istanbul).

Alucard went off to find some Vampire Flunkies, and Draculvania and Death were chilling, when all of a sudden, the Kid from "I Wanna Be the Guy" emerged from the Third Cryo Pod and revealed himself to be a Sophist worthy of Claire Stanfield.

The Draculas want themselves a war, and a war they're going to get.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

And Dracula from Vampire Hunter D went to a long hall of pictures narrating the history of vampires, and seems to be trying to make things far worse.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

See you guys tommorow. Really sleepy at the moment.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Pixie in the Playground

If Alucard's breaking Van Helsing's "No Kill" Command, then does this mean that the Holy Bindings and Seals of Alucard have broken?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I imagine he could break them at any time, he just chose not to in order to hang around Integra. Indeed, that's probably why Arthur imprisoned him in the first place.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Pixie in the Playground

And why would Alucard have accepted his imprisonment at Arthur's hands if he could just ignore the bindings so?

I will

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Respect for Abraham. You have to remember that Alucard's fairly complex (in his motivations, at least), even if he essentially amounts to 'kill things and look scary'. He wanted to destroy everything because he felt everything had been taken for him, then he lost, and did something few people like him can. He learned from his mistake. He stopped wanting to destroy everything to spite God, and started looking for some sort of redemption (which he sucked at). However, he didn't reform. He just channeled his evil more constructively. He also came to respect humans, rather then just envy them.
    Sending him here has triggered a breakdown, then a relapse. He's not a highly disturbing agent of good anymore, he's Dracula.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Where is the Count in all of this?

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea, he was in the Throneroom last time you posted as him. Which means chances are, he's chilling with Death.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

I had a rant planned out about how you were attempting to crown yourself the God Emperor of power-gaming...

But your explanation actually makes sense, Cracklord: and we all knew that Van Helsing and the No-Life King would be facing each other down one more time.

I'm actually looking forward to how this is going down.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always been that way. I crowned myself that a long time ago, long before this game. But I always do my best not to tread too much on other people's toes, and I try to do it for the sake of the story, rather then the betterment of my own characters. I don't want to win. I don't care about that. I just want as much general awesomeness as possible.

Sometimes I do get a little overboard. I'll be the first to admit that. But other times it improves the quality of the games a whole lot. Sometimes it's good to raise the stakes. So a power-gamer, but one who's fun to play with (I like to think).
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2011-12-13 at 12:18 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

I find amusement in thinking of characters who would make everyones' lives hell if they showed up.

Koishi Komeiji (as a student). Isn't human so can't be killed by a Death Note, has no presence so can't be noticed if she doesn't want to be and cannot be read by Cass, can see into and manipulate the subconscious so can tell if Light or Lelouch is controlling someone... And also acts entirely on whim. Harming her would invoke the wrath of her sister, a mind-reader with a nuclear arsenal living in a realm which cannot be entered by non-native supernatural beings without causing an interdimensional incident.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Bugbear in the Playground

I apologize immensly for not being here for several days, and I ask for patience on the parts of everyone here. Sorry-Finals don't end for me for two more days, and I've still got my College Algebra and Biology finals to deal with. Throw in that Biology takes place on the last rehearsal day for a play I'm in, and you can guess why I'm busy.

Sorry. Back in two days, will finally be able to post at good speed again. Sorry.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

27. - Top - End - #387

And now for some secret Britannian History.

Superpowers are not a new occurrence in this world. In fact there is proof that suggests that heroes and villains of extraordinary powers lived as far back as Ancient Greece with "lost" writings of Aristotle debating the morality of super vigilantism. The first contact any of the modern powers had with any of these was during the first Euro-Asia war in 1940 where the Princes of Atlantis rose up against all surface dwellers and lead their own war parties to battle the armies of proto-China and EU. Atlantis was destroyed from within by a sect of black ops within the Britannian military code named Dewey Decimal. Since then the three nations have been in a cold war arms race to develop their own stable super powered soldiers, so far no successes have been reported despite how many aliens, mutants, demons, angels, fae and other assorted entities they capture for study.

After the public execution of Erik Lenshar for advocating the rights for genetic deviants within Britannia most mutant groups went underground and became less concerned with battling evil and more concerned with keeping their kind alive. This includes the previously supportive of cohabitation Charles Xavier who was forced to use his telepathic abilities to wipe the minds of just about every member of the Britannian Royal family to forget about his powers after the young noble revealed them and was shot in the spine, rendering him paralyzed from the waist down.

Occasionally a man or woman would don a mask to fight the corrupt powers of the nations such as the infamous Batman. Bruce Wayne was the heir to a powerful noble house that had some shaddy dealings with some rebellious groups within Britannia. For their indiscretions Martha and Thomas Wayne were murdered right before Bruce's eyes. Though he feigns ignorance to their crimes Bruce donned the costume of a creature of the night to battle the evils of Britannia and has begun amassing an army of trained low and non powered warriors across the world.

During the days of free Japan the nation was ripe with heroes. Magical Girls, Super Sentai, Kamen Riders and many others were almost regular sights until one day exactly three years before the first official Britannian attack. No one is sure just what happened but all these heroes suddenly lost their powers and the nation was left defenceless against the force of the Britannian Knightmares. For a brief period of time powers similar to those of the Super Sentai appeared within Britannian in the hands of heroes called Power Rangers but they soon all vanished as well.

These heroes though have left their mark on the population, with Zero the leader of the mysterious Black Knights seemingly stylized his costume with elements borrowed from both the Batman (to inspire fear in Britannians) and Sentai (to inspire hope in the Japanese).

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

It's an interesting, sometimes absurd, but true fact in roleplaying games:

The presence of a cute little kitten as a random encounter will more often than not provoke drawn weapons.

29. - Top - End - #389

Well in 3E a kitten is fully capable of killing a low level party. The damn thing has an armour class that is through the roof and claws that do about the same damage as a dagger. Someone writing the monster manual was a dog person.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

He Colesign, who was The Kid supposed to be anyway? I mean I could see that he was pretty much a interim stall villan, but d*mn. Was he really so weak that Alucard just tossed him aside like a ragdoll? I thought we had gotten past that villain point.