New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Magic Monsters a'gatherin'

so, some of you may know that I'm running a planewalker based game on this very forum. if not, it's here

so, I've decided to stat up some of the more common magic critters, starting with the cutest little critters, the Sliver. I think the CR is OK considering the adaptation abilitiy, but I may be wrong as I've never really homebrewed much before.

so, without further ado...

Sliver
    Size/Type: small aberration/magical beast (sliver)
    Hit dice: 1d8 + 1 (5 hp)
    Imitative: +3
    speed: 30 ft climb 30 ft
    Armour Class: 16 (+1 size, + 3 dex, + 2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
    Attack: Claw (1d6)
    Full Attack: Claw (1d6, primary), bite (1d4, secondary)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: none
    Special Qualities: Blindsense 60ft, Psionic Swarm, Wall-crawlers, Alarming Adaptation
    Saves: fort + 2 Ref + 5 Will + 2
    Abilities: str 10, dex 17, con 12, int 4, wis 12, cha 4
    Skills: Hide +8, listen + 8, move silently + 8, spot + 4
    Feats: Swarm Fighting, Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any
    Organisation: Pack (5+)
    Challenge rating: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always True Neutral
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (small) 4-6 HD (medium) 7-11 (large) 12-18 (huge) 19-26 (Gargantuan) 27+ (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: –

Sliver's are unusual, hive-based aberration, looking like serpents with two long, scyhted limbs, and a heavy chitinous shell. Their heads extend from their necks on thin necks, and are sharp and beak-like. Sliver hives are all psychically-linked together, and they display an unusual characteristic that has many scientists interested in the species, but also provides their threat; many slivers are mutated, but as slivers come close to each other, they share their mutations to create a new breed.

Sliver swarms are almost one entity, and a sliver cut from this hive will try to return to the swarm, even if the path or action will kill them.

Slivers vary in size, colour and almost any feature more than almost any creature in existence.

Sliver swarms are generally led by queens, who are intelligent and free-willed. A queen can normally only be usurped by another queen, who does this by overpowering the psionic link between the slivers to establish herself as queen

Combat:
    Whilst connected to their pack with the Psionic Link ability, Slivers advance in the swiftest path towards the nearest prey, ready to drag it down with their claws and jaws. They are adept at approaching unnoticed to almost any prey.

Sliver tactics are almost as variable as their genome when smarter or more evolved creatures are introduced to a pack

Abilities:
    Blindsense (ex): Most slivers are eyeless beasts, that rely on a combination of extreme hearing and touch to find their victims. They have blindsense out to 60 ft. Sliver's are blind, however.

Psionic Swarm (ex): All slivers have a natural psionic connection to one another. All slivers within 100 ft of each other can share thoughts and knowledge; they may use the highest mental attributes of all slivers in the swarm, and may share any knowledge freely (such as location of prey, or their own location). A sliver can always communicate with their queen, regardless of distance. This is also the source of the Alarming Adaptations power.
    Slivers gain a bonus to will saves against mental effects equal to the number of slivers in the swarm. This link can be hijacked, however, as when a sliver falls under the effect of a mental effect, all other slivers must test as well
    This ability does not work in psionically dead zones. It can be dispelled, as a power with a manifester level equal to the queens HD (usually 12).
    A sliver cut off from the hive frantically seeks to return to the hive, and will put itself at risk or even kill itself to do so.

Alarming Adaptations (ex): slivers can rewrite their DNA in a matter of moments, and can share genetic information freely though their Psionic Swarm Ability. If a Sliver is linked to another sliver, it immediately gains all extraordinary abilities of that sliver, unless otherwise noted. This is an instant action. If the link is lost (distance, dispelled, killed), the adaptations remain for 1d4 rounds, then fade. They cannot pass on abilities gained through this power unless otherwise noted.

Wall-crawlers(ex): Slivers are capable of adhering to almost any surface. They act as if they where permenantly under the effect of spider climb

Slivers as Animal Companions.
    Slivers kept separated from the hive for an extended period of time eventually stop trying to seek out the hive and revert to base animal instincts. Though they are not animals, they can be trained as such.
    Special: A sliver animal companion can make a psychic link with willing creatures, using it's Psionic Swarm ability. It treats it's master as the queen for this ability
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2011-10-04 at 05:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Monsters a'gatherin'

Someone one on enworld I believe had stated all slivers up. I have them saved some where on a USB drive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew
    Monsters
    Spoiler
    Show

More to come later.

3. - Top - End - #3

The base sliver isn't what breaks the slivers. It's the added abilities. I'll watch this, it seems interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This would be the fifth sliver to 3.5 thread I've seen on these forums. Still, I wish you luck with it.
    Here are links to the others if you'd like to see them for comparison.
    The Demented One
    The Mentalist
    Zaydos
    Lix Lorn

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    Sliver's are unusual, hive-based aberration, looking like 4 limbed spiders made purely of chitin and bone. Their heads extend from their necks on thin necks, and are sharp and beak-like.
    I figured I'd note this, but going off the artwork, most slivers only have 1 to 2 limbs and their long tail (which occasionally splits).

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-10-04 at 03:27 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

I figured I'd note this, but going off the artwork, most slivers only have 1 to 2 limbs and their long tail (which occasionally splits).
    true, but the first edition sliver card had 4 limbs, and that's what I based it off

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

true, but the first edition sliver card had 4 limbs, and that's what I based it off
    There are no slivers in first edition. That said, if by first edition you mean the first set with slivers, that would be Tempest. However, in Tempest all slivers (save Mnemonic Sliver, Muscle Sliver, and Winged Sliver) are clearly shown to have only one limb and double tails. The Mnemonic sliver varies only in it not being clear (the picture focuses on the head), Muscle Sliver looks to have two arms, and the winged sliver has wings as well as looking to have two arms.

The closest looking picture to a sliver with 4 limbs is the Crystalline Sliver from stronghold, though even there if you look it just has its twin tails wrapped around a pillar and still only has one arm (the head is obscuring where a second arm would likely go, but if one look closely they'll see there is no second arm).

The only other slivers that seem to have more than one arm are Sliver Queen, Sliver Queen Avatar, Sliver Queen, Brood mother, Sliver Overlord, Two-Headed Sliver, and arguably Sliver Legion (though it seems to be more a large group of slivers than one with multiple limbs).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

meh, teaches me to describe a card from memory. will go and edit that now

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sliver's are unusual, hive-based aberration, looking like serpents with two long, scyhted limbs, and a heavy chitinous shell. Their heads extend from their necks on thin necks, and are sharp and beak-like.
    Should usually be one limb and two tails. Scythed is also has a typo. Other than that seems good.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Adarkar Sentinel
    Size/Type: Gargantuan Construct(Golem)
    Hit dice: 20d10+60 (160 hp)
    Initative: 0
    speed: 60 ft
    Armour Class: 34 (-6 size, +0 dex, +30 Natural), touch 4, flat-footed 34
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+27
    Attack: Slam +27 Melee (2d10+15)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +27 Melee (2d10+15)
    Space/Reach: 20ft/20ft
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
    Saves: fort +6 Ref +6 Will +6
    Abilities: str 41, Dex 10, con -, int -, wis 11, cha 1
    Skills: None
    Feats: None
    Organisation: Solitary or gang (2-4)
    Challenge rating: 14
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: -

"We encountered the sentinels in the wastes, near no living thing. Their purpose was inscrutable."—Disa the Restless, journal entry

This is a large golem made of highly polished silver with red trimming along the plate edges. The Sentinels stand fourty feet in height and have massive horns protruding from their helmets. They are sometimes seen wielding a weapon, but most of the time are unarmed. Created by powerful mages and scores of dwarven craftsmen ages ago to protect thier kingdoms, now they are found in remote locations, miles from the nearest civilizations and forgotten, only standing from the magic they are imbued with to protect their charges.

Combat:The Adarkar Sentinel typically just attacks if provoked or if thier charge is in danger. The sentinel will attack relentlessly until either destroyed or its enemy has fled/died.

Immunity to Magic (Ex)
    An Adarkar Sentinel is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an Adarkar Sentinel (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the sentinel to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an Adarkar Sentinel hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An Adarkar Sentinel gets no saving throw against fire effects.

An Adarkar Sentinel is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is just an offering!
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2011-10-05 at 10:14 AM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueKnightGuy

that looks fine, though it may be a while before you meet one of those

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Specific Sliver Types:

1.Acidic Sliver: Grants +1 acid damage to attacks made by all slivers in area.
    2.Armor Sliver: Grants +1 Natural Armor bonus to all slivers in area.
    3.Barbed Sliver: Grants +1 damage to attacks made by all slivers in area.
    4.Basal Sliver:
    5.Battering Sliver: Grants feat Improved Bull-Rush to all slivers in area.
    6.Blade Sliver: Grants +1 damage to attacks made by all slivers in area.
    7.Bonesplitter Sliver: Grants +2 damage to attacks made by all slivers in area.
    8.Brood Sliver:
    9.Cautery Sliver:
    10.Clot Sliver: Grants Fast Healing 1 to all slivers in area.
    11.Crypt Sliver: Grants Fast Healing 1 to all slivers in area.
    12.Crystalline Sliver: Grants all slivers Spell Resistance 12.
    13.Darkheart Sliver: Grants to all slivers Lay on Hands worth 3 HP
    14.Dementia Sliver:
    15.Dormant Sliver:
    16.Essence Sliver:
    17.Firewake Sliver:
    18.Frenetic Sliver:
    19.Frenzy Sliver:
    20.Fungus Sliver:
    21.Fury Sliver:
    22.Gemhide Sliver:
    23.Ghostflame Sliver:
    24.Harmonic Sliver:
    25.Heart Sliver:
    26.Hibernation Sliver
    27.Homing Sliver28. Horned Sliver
    29.Horned Sliver
    30.Hunter Sliver
    31.Lymph Sliver
    32.Magma Sliver
    33.Mesmeric Sliver:
    34.Metallic Sliver:
    35.Might Sliver:
    36.Mindlash Sliver:
    37.Mindwhip Sliver:
    38.Mistform Sliver:
    39.Mnemonic Sliver:
    40.Muscle Sliver:
    41.Necrotic Sliver:
    42.Opaline Sliver:
    43.Plague Sliver:
    44.Plated Sliver:
    45.Poultice Sliver:
    46.Psionic Sliver:
    47.Pulmonic Sliver:
    48.Quick Sliver:
    49.Quilled Sliver:
    50.Reflex Sliver:
    51.Root Sliver
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2011-10-05 at 02:09 PM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

"Energy" Sliver
    Size/Type: small aberration (sliver)
    Hit dice: 2d8 + 1 (9 hp)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
    Full Attack: Claw (1d6, primary), bite (1d4, secondary)
    Special Qualities: Blindsense 60ft, Psionic Swarm, Wall-crawlers, Alarming Adaptation, Elemental Adaptation
    Saves: fort + 3 Ref + 5 Will + 3
    Abilities: str 11, dex 17, con 12, int 4, wis 12, cha 4
    Skills: Hide +9, listen + 8, move silently + 9, spot + 4
    Environment: Any (element is often affected by environment)
    Challenge rating: 1 1/2
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (small) 4-6 HD (medium) 7-11 (large) 12-18 (huge) 19-26 (Gargantuan) 27+ (Colossal)

Elemental Slivers seem to be one of the most connon adaptations. their apperance is much closer to normal slivers than most adaptations, often appering as a normal sliver save for an aura of energy, and an unususal colouration.

Combat:
    Elemental slivers behave much like normal slivers, save for the energy based attacks they are capable of in adition to their normal tactic. When in severe danger, Elemental Slivers will use their Energy Burst ability.
    In an alarming show of hive intelegence, swarms containing multiple elemental slivers will adapt the dominant mutation as a reaction to enemy tactics.

Sliver traits: Elemental slivers have the blindsense, wall-crawlers, psionic swarm and alarming adaptation abilitites as all other Slivers do.

Elemental Adaptation (ex): Elemental slivers are marked by the following adaptations. Each Elemental Sliver has one of the elements shown in the chart below
    • Energy resistance 10 for their chosen element
    • Vulnerability (50% extra damage) to the opposed element
    • All natural weapons deal 50% damage of the element, and count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance

{table=head]Element | Opposed |
    Fire | Cold
    Acid | ?
    Cold | Fire
    Lightning | ?
    Sonic | ?
    Positive | Negative
    Negative | Positive
    [/table]
    This ability is passed on through the Psionic Swarm ability. If there are multiple elemental slivers in the swarm, only one type of Elemental adaptation is passed on through the Psyonic Sawrm ability, though the other elemental sliver recives both adaptations unless they are of the opposed types, where it instead looses both it's vulnerability and resistance. A sliver with two energy effects on it's melee attack must choose which adaptation to use.
    If there are two or more Elemental slivers of the same element, the energy resistance stacks. if there are three or more elemental slivers of the same element in a swarm, the swarm is instead healed by the resisted energy type

Energy Burst (exe): An elemental sliver can emit a small burst of their element at the cost of some of their life energy as a standard action. This causes xd8 untyped damage to the sliver, which ignores damage reduction and other similar effects, and xd8 energy damage to all enemies within 5 feet. the range is increased by 5 feet for each size catagory above medium.
    X can be any value up to the sliver's current number of compete hit dice.
    this ability is only passed on through the Psionic Swarm ability if there are 3 or more energy slivers in one swarm

Armoured Sliver
    Hit dice: 3d8 +3 (21 hp)
    speed: 20 ft climb 20 ft
    Armour Class: 18 (+1 size, + 1 dex, + 6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
    Full Attack: Claw (1d6, primary), slam (1d4, secondary)
    Special Qualities: Blindsense 60ft, Psionic Swarm, Wall-crawlers, Alarming Adaptation, Armoured Shell
    Abilities: str 11, dex 13, con 17, int 4, wis 12, cha 4
    Skills: Hide +4, listen + 8, move silently + 4, spot + 4
    Feats: Swarm Fighting, Weapon Expertise
    Organisation: Pack (5+ with other slivers)

Armoured slivers are heavily armoured variants of normal slivers, as the name would imply. their carapace is much tougher than their fellows, and they have an unnatural resistance to damage. however, they are slower and less agile than their fellows

Combat
    Armoured slivers use less stealth and more of a direct approach to combat. they advance on their foe directly, relying on their armour to see them safely to the foe.

Sliver traits: see sliver

Armoured Shell (exe): the armoured sliver has increased constitution and natural armour (as shown in profile). it also has dr2/bludgeoning. all slivers in the same swarm gain +1 natural armour and dr1/bludgeoning. The natural armour bonus stacks for each armoured sliver in the swarm.

two more sliver variants, as I likes me some slivers I'm just wondering what elements to oppose the ones above, since they don't seem to have a particular weakness in normal energy types...
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2011-10-05 at 01:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

yay, more sliver breeds... I loves me some slivers

Spined Sliver
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-2 (BaB 2)
    Attack: Slam (1d8+2)
    Full Attack: Slam (1d8+2, primary), Claw (1d6+2, secondary)
    Special Qualities: Blindsense 60ft, Psionic Swarm, Wall-crawlers, Alarming Adaptation, Elemental Adaptation

Spined slivers are slightly larger than average slivers, and are covered from head to toe in sharp, pointed barbs that can easily rip through human flesh and hardened leather alike.

Combat:
    Spined slivers form one of the main attack elements of a sliver swarm. They attack by moving close to the enemy and slamming into them. When they're in range, the sliver will try to entangle itself with the foe to take advantage of it's spines to maximise the damage.

Sliver traits: slivers have the blindsense, wall-crawlers, psionic swarm and alarming adaptation abilities as all other Slivers do.

Barbed form (exe) The sliver is covered in razor sharp barbs. These give the sliver a +1 enhancement bonus to damage (already included above). This bonus stacks for each spined sliver in the swarm, to a maximum of +5. In addition, any creature attempting to grapple, bull rush or use a touch attack against the sliver suffers 1d8 damage. This increases with the sliver's size.

Bladed Sliver
    Armour Class: 17 (+1 size, + 3 dex, + 2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/-2 (BaB 2)
    Attack: Slam (1d8+2)
    Full Attack: 1 Claw (1d8, primary), 1 Claw (1d6, secondary)

A bladed sliver's carapace is dull and metallic, with the edges turned to a razor's edge. They have a second arm, ending in a blade as sharp as their carapace. Lastly, their heads end in a three-pronged crest

Combat:
    Spined slivers form one of the main attack elements of a sliver swarm. They attack by moving close to the enemy and slamming into them. When they're in range, the sliver will try to entangle itself with the foe to take advantage of it's spines to maximise the damage.

Sliver traits: slivers have the blindsense, wall-crawlers, psionic swarm and alarming adaptation abilities as all other Slivers do.

Sharpened form sliver's with this adaptation have incredibly sharp, blade like protrusions covering their bodies, and their natural weapons are sharpened to a fine edge. All slivers gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls. This stacks for each bladed sliver in the swarm, to a maximum of +5. in addition, all slivers without a slam attack gain a secondary slam attack dealing 1d4 damage. All slivers with a slam attack deal damage with their slam as if they where one size larger

Hi, just wondering, due to their snakelike build and stuff, should I give slivers a racial bonus to grapple? It looks like it'd make sense. If I do, what do you think I should do the base CR?