New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Cheap Armor/Weapon Enchantments

Having realized the futility of AC, I recently had some ideas for cheaply acquiring armor/weapon special abilities (such as Blurring, Smoking, etc.) and am currently wondering whether they would work. The idea is to circumvent costs of stacking bonuses on the same armor/weapon, and cheaply having each enchantment on a separate item (i.e. having four +2 enchanted items, rather than one +8 item).

1. Armor/Shield spikes granting special abilities in addition to those bestowed by a primary weapon. Is someone wearing a spiked armor/shield while holding a weapon considered to be "wielding" the spikes for the purpose of enchantments like Smoking?

2. Bracers of Armor granting such abilities as well. Same question as before; is someone wearing the bracers considered to be "wielding"? In pathfinder, these abilities do not function if worn armor is granting a higher AC bonus, but it would work if the armor's AC bonus were less than or equal to that of the bracers?

3. Normal Clothing/Robes. I've heard whispers that nonmagical garments can be enchanted like armor. Is it possible? And if it is, would the special ability(s) given to this clothing function with enchanted armor on over/under it? Would such clothing occupy body slots?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheap Armor/Weapon Enchantments

Step 1: Wear any armor with gauntlets, armor spikes, a shield with shield spikes, and any other weapon that can be equipped without taking up your free hand with your main weapon.
    Step 2: Make all the weapons from step 1 +1 Defending weapons.
    Step 3: Convince your friendly Wizard to cast Greater Magic Weapon modified with a Chain Rod on all your various Defending weapons plus your regular weapon (and I guess on your allies weapons as well. If you really wan't to be a 'team player')
    Step 4: Use Defending property to convert all of the misc weapons bonuses to AC for a huge bonus to AC for no penalty to your to hit or damage.
    Step 5: ???
    Step 6: Profit!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheap Armor/Weapon Enchantments

Buy Augment Crystals instead of normal enchantments whenever they come in a crystal form that's good enough for your purposes. That's cheaper.

Don't forget that armor and shield spikes count as weapons for augment purposes.

Because it's funny, enchant your armor spikes with Throwing and Returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew