New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default shattered spear school, (TOB discpline, 3.5)

Broken Spear

"...A dragon may have claws like spears and teeth like daggers, but always remember that you have a sword!"-Narlin McWayn, master of the broken spear style.

The broken spear style was created out of frustration. Reach is an important factor of combat, the one with greater reach is often the victor. The fact most worthy foes have a great deal of reach on a normal sized swordsman has driven many a warblade to distraction.

The broke spear style was created after the fall of the temple of the nine swords. It was created by a master warblade, after his inability to deal with a dragon cost him a friend.

Associated Weapons:longsword, scimitar, battle axe, kukuri, hand axe, and short sword.

Skill: tumble, as the shattered spear discipline is dependent on being able to move skillfully.
    Last edited by bobthe6th; 2012-09-18 at 10:53 AM.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: shattered spear school, (TOB discpline, 3.5)

level 1:
    grab the hilt:counter-make a disarm attempt against a reach weapon that missed you.
    misdirect:stance-gain +1 to ac for ever 5ft reach a foe has on you.
    step inside:counter-make a 5ft step towards a foe that missed you with a reach attack.
    on the inside:strike-+1d6 damage to a foe with a reach on you that you are adjacent to.

level 2:
    press the advantage:counter-make a tumble check to follow a foe with reach on you.
    broken spear:strike-make a sunder check against a foe with a reach on you with +2d6 damage and ignores hardness.

level 3:
    hold the spear:counter-attack an adjacent foe with reach on you that is trying to move, with a +4d6 to damage or a +5 to a trip attempt.
    unbalance:counter-if a foe misses with a reach attack, take a free disarm check against the foe at +5. if the check succeeds the foe falls prone.
    twisting dance:boost-you do not provoke attacks of opertounity from foes with reach on you.
    ogre felling blow:strike-deal +1d6 damage to an adjacent foe for each 5ft reach they have on you.

level 4:
    spear trap:stance-any foe you are adjacent to that has reach on you provokes an attack opportunity if they try to make a five foot step. you are not limited in the number of attacks of opportunity you may make against such a foe.
    severing strike:counter-you may make a sunder attempt against a foe that missed you with a reach attack. this attack has a +4d6 to damage and ignores harness. it can also sever limbs of natural reach attacks.
    still inside:strike-+8d6 damage against an adjacent foe with reach.

level 5:
    giant felling blow:strike-deal +3d6 damage to an adjacent foe for each 5ft reach they have on you.
    inside:counter-make a 5ft step towards a foe that missed you with a reach attack, then if adjacent make an attack with +6d6 damage

level 6:

level 7:
    worm felling blow:strike-deal +5d6 damage to an adjacent foe for each 5ft reach they have on you.
    run inside:counter-make move up to your speed towards a foe that missed you with a reach attack, then if adjacent make an attack with +8d6 damage
    level 8:

level 9:
    wyrm felling blow:strike-deal +10d6 damage to an adjacent foe for each 5ft reach they have on you.

so far up to level 3, thoughts?
    Last edited by bobthe6th; 2012-01-28 at 01:24 PM.

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

reserved for other stuff

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

My first thought: Well, that's cute.

Second thought: Huh....not bad.

I like this, it's a decent start and I have no serious complaints aside from a desire to see the rest of the maneuvers. I'd recommend making some of the weapons a little more accessible, as two of five are exotic, and it's evidently impossible, by your reckoning, to get inside someone's guard with anything but a two-handed weapon. I'd recommend adding in rapiers as a weapon, as a style that focuses on elegantly getting inside someone's guard would appreciate using an elegant, lunging weapon. A quarterstaff could do this as well, at least in my experiences with them. On that same note, a weapon that uses more brute strength, weight and leverage like an axe is not particularly well-suited to dodging, moving inside a foe's guard, etc. I'd recommend removing the greataxe and waraxe from the list of weapons.

Also, out of three levels, you have all of one stance, but it's DAMN good. The one question I have... does a one-handed, non-reach melee weapon wielded by a huge opponent count as a reach weapon? or would it need to be like a longspear or such?

Also, with grab the hilt and the other counters that imply, y'know, grabbing the hilt, do you need to have a hand free? you might want to specify either way.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

is it the broken spear or broken sword style?

you make refernce to both names in your post.

also. not evey opponent you face will be armef with a reach weapn, rendering this discipline (up to 3rd level maneuvers) useless againts non reach opponents. while i do get what you are going for here, tossing in ability against large and bigger foes should do the job.. after all dragons do't use polearms.. they have claws and a bit.. they jut happen to be massive creatures

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I was planing on makeing sundering a major part of the disipline, so two handed seemed the way to go... but I see your point. going to go with one handed weapons, as a lot of the idea is to disarm your foe.

thinking... flail, longsword, scimitar, kukuri and short sword.

also, is the first stance to good? most foes you get a +1 at best, but against say a giant with a spear or a dragon...

also, I should probably specify "foe with reach greater then you" for a few of the maneuvers.

and yes, I should require a free hand to grab the hilt.

I was trying to make most of the low level maneuvers very focused on normal foes with reach, and at higher levels start adding in larger foe maneuvers at higher levels. then, at low levels a warblade with some of the maneuvers(this is so niche, I really would recommend against specializing in this in anything but a dragon hunting game.) could use them against the orc with spear they fight, and at higher levels they start being less neich as large and larger foes start to become more common. then at epic, they get to just dominate the collosal+ dragons they meet.

also, do you think this is to niche? it only works against a small subset of foes, and I tried to balance that by making it awesome against those foes.

edit:fixed the mistake. a discpline I read a wile ago was called broken sword, I guess it leaked through.

thinking of making most of the maneuvers work against both...

edit2: fixed the wording, now it mostly would ably to anything bigger than you as well as against pole-arms.
    Last edited by bobthe6th; 2011-11-21 at 11:22 PM.

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'm getting the feeling this is meant to be used against creatures with natural reach and weapons. You can't sunder natural weapons.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-11-21 at 11:30 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

says who? really, with regeneration and stuff, I see no reason the dragon gets such treatment. why can't you sheer off one of its hands? this becomes more emphasized at higher levels.

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    says who? really, with regeneration and stuff, I see no reason the dragon gets such treatment. why can't you sheer off one of its hands? this becomes more emphasized at higher levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.
    You don't hold a natural weapon.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-11-21 at 11:45 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

point, will amend when I wright these out long hand. gonna added a simple system to mannage the HP of limbs.

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    point, will amend when I wright these out long hand. gonna added a simple system to mannage the HP of limbs.
    that would probably kill its usefulness and make fewer people use it or respond to it. i would instead just add a series of conditions and penalties, like the rest of the disciplines that hinder opponents and deal with "critical hit" types of attacks.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

or perhaps just have it disable the limb? make a real minus for the loss as a status condition.

it just seemed so satisfying to hack a dragons arm off as it swung at you with its long reach...

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender