1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Default Where to find a human skull reference?

I figured here would be as good a place any any to ask the question, since it is possible some or you arty-type people might actually know...

I'm trying to find a good reference image of a human skull, from which to knock up a 3D model. I.e. one that has a side, front and top (or bottom) view is to scale with each other. (It has to be to scale with itself, because the way I generally work it loosely "trace" the image in those projections around in my CADs package and then work from that. The first thing I want to try is to see what a three-way intersect gets me in terms of basic shape.)
    Aside from those criterion, it doesn't have to be great (it's going to be added as detail on some vehicles, and probably won't be more than 5/6mm or so, so it's mainly just to get the proportions and such in more-or-less the right place.)

Google image search is not, for once co-operating (partly I think because it's a relatively common thing!)

Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-10-14 at 06:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Where to find a human skull reference?

I think this one might be quite handy for that. You can make it bigger by clicking on it. It's from someone shilling medical-studies-related materials on eBay, so I don't know whether it's cool to use it, though.

Other than that, there's Tom Flint's really awesome Anatomy for the Artist, which you can get for almost-free plus shipping over Amazon. You'd probably have to scan it in at some point, but mine has consistently proven a faithful reference booklet. Hope that this helps a little.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Google Image
    Wikipedia
    Human Anatomy Books
    Medical Textbooks

Take your pick.
    Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2011-10-14 at 11:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The problem with some of these images is that the portrait view is sometimes rotated slightly. This is true in Grey's Anatomy. So don't use a portrait image unless it is accompanied by frontal one, so you can rotate it properly.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    The problem with some of these images is that the portrait view is sometimes rotated slightly. This is true in Grey's Anatomy. So don't use a portrait image unless it is accompanied by frontal one, so you can rotate it properly.
    Well, that goes without saying that you should find a reference photo from the view you want. Luckily, anatomy books have front, back, side, top, etc of all the major body parts so you're in good hands with that.

6. - Top - End - #6

you might be best off going to a local medical college or similar, finding a skull, and taking pics.
    Hey everyone! Dyluth and I have a new project coming up, a steam/diesel punk webcomic. Please take a look!

Self published writer, editor, publisher.

Pinch Writer for the long running OOTS fan comic, anti-Heroes

Hope to be a writer? read this. http://www.writing.com/main/view_ite...3-Show-Vs-Tell

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well, that goes without saying that you should find a reference photo from the view you want. Luckily, anatomy books have front, back, side, top, etc of all the major body parts so you're in good hands with that.
    I'm afraid you missed the point. The portrait image is rotated. It is not vertical. It's as though the person's head is tilted backward and is looking up.

The problem is, when the top and bottom of two images of the skull don't match, is it because they're at different scales or did they do something wacky, like tilt one of them.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't suppose that existing 3D skulls, such as in Poser, could be useful here?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    I'm afraid you missed the point. The portrait image is rotated. It is not vertical. It's as though the person's head is tilted backward and is looking up.

The problem is, when the top and bottom of two images of the skull don't match, is it because they're at different scales or did they do something wacky, like tilt one of them.
    Then you look at the image and determine what two position it falls between and use your imagination to envision it. There isn't going to be every in between shot so you do have to use your own sense of judgement for some stuff.

10. - Top - End - #10

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

I found something, finally, on an image search, using "anatomy" as a keyword (which I wouldn't have though of prior to the thread.) So, thanks everyone!

That has given me enough to at least take a stab...

Spoiler
    Show

It fairly crude, granted - but for one thing, it has to be given that it's almost (by an astonishing stroke of co-incident luck) exactly the size of a Games Workshop skeleton skull (i.e. about 5-7mm). I'm frankly stunned the roughed out shape turned out more or less exact (and we're talking in fractions of a mm) out from the GW one, actually, considering my starter for ten was just to get somelike and then scale as necessary!)

(For another, I'm a CADs jockey, not an artist!)

And a GW skull is what is basically this skull is designed to replace. My Aotrs model starfleet was almost entirely scratch built, and made heavy use of skulls (most from GW's 28mm skeletons). As I've now moved onto 3D printing, I wanted to try and get something the same size that I could stick straight on my new ship designs.

I'm using a CAD package (so it's never going to be arty at this size!) and I am going to have to be a bit careful to make sure I don't go under the material thickness minimum (0.7-1mm).

Bearing in mind those critieon, any suggestions/observations are welcome!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-10-14 at 05:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I found something, finally, on an image search, using "anatomy" as a keyword (which I wouldn't have though of prior to the thread.) So, thanks everyone!

*snip*
    Well, you're right in saying it's crude. VERY crude. But, if it suits your purpose then go with it. I recommend though if you're going realism, get your hands on an anatomy book. If you don't want to put down the cash for one, just hit up your local library.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well, you're right in saying it's crude. VERY crude. But, if it suits your purpose then go with it. I recommend though if you're going realism, get your hands on an anatomy book. If you don't want to put down the cash for one, just hit up your local library.
    Better pictures are actually of no help, now, because I have to actually be able to make the shape I'm looking at! Once I'd got a picture with something passing a decently scaled third-angle porjection in my CADs package, I realised how sodding hard it is to model something like this in 3D. I've been CADing in 3D for eighteen months now, and it took me a good few tries to even work out how to start! (I can see how people charge $25-$1400 for a realistic 3D model online...!)

It's not like drawing (P&P or digitally); I'm using a CADs package, not an art package, so I have to build everything up from extrudes, lofts, and judicious use of boolean operations. (Basically, to do a complicated shape like that, I have to slice it into sections and build it from that.) Further, TurboCAD is not a fan of curves, because of how it facets them, so I can't afford to go too crazy or it throws a wobbly. On the plus side, I have exact control of dimensions.

I think the basic head shape is okay, though the jaw could use some work. (And some teeth!) The eyesockets are sorta okay, especially given the limitations - I can't make 'em too much different before I start to run into material thickness limitations.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I clicked this thread thinking the title was "Where to find a human skull?"

I was disappointed. How am I supposed to monologue without a skull?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-14 at 06:20 PM.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

14. - Top - End - #14

The human mind (and it's Lichly approximations thereof...) is a funny thing, isn't it? How little you have to do to get the pattern recognition working?

Spoiler
    Show

A vast improvement, and yet all I've done it and another loft to take out the square bit on the jaw, add some teeth (and reverse cone the eyesockets, to hopefully the walls won't be too thin when it somes to print).

It's funny how just adding some crude teeth makes such a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I clicked this thread thinking the title was "Where to find a human skull?"

I was disappointed. How am I supposed to monologue without a skull?
    I'm sure I could find you one from one of the prisoners in the brig...