New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Friendship Through Superior Firepower! Magical Girl Base Class, Set Up! [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    First, there are no familiars which require that unless you take the Improved Familiar feat, so it would make more sense to ban Improved Familiar. Second, there are MGs with more powerful companions, though many of them need to stay in a weaker form most of the time. Maybe Improved Familiar can be used for 1 minute/level/day, but also grants some other bonus? Maybe a feat which lets the mentor cast spells as a wizard of one-third your class level (caster level = your class level), but only while in this powered-up state?

I don't think this part is necessary. *shrug*

"Roughly" isn't very useful. It would be easier just to say "The mentor gains Bardic Knowledge as a bard of its master's class level."
    Again, I thank you! I'm terrible when it comes to wording things eloquently, and tend to use entirely too much wordcount for what I'm trying to get across. I'll be trimming up the Mentor's features now.

Also, an improved-mentor feat (or even feat-chain) is an excellent idea, which I shall be definitely using.

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I read the title and I knew I had to read this. It looks great, really fits the flavor well, and gives a lot of utility. A good excuse to play a good guy.

However, I would like to add that divine buster seems a tad over powered. 3d6+ damage at lvl 1 is too much.
    Indeed it is. That is... a point I'd somehow missed. I'll tick a damage dice off of it (down to 2d6+cha), but it is worth noting that it is also usable only once per encounter at level one (while martial maneuvers grant only +1d6 damage at level one, they can also be used pretty much every turn).

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    The group I usually play with doesn't usually allow homebrew, but I am prepared to beg in order to play this class. This is just ... magnitudes of awesome.

(Also, OP, is that a Princess Waltz avatar? You may be my new favorite person.)
    If you convince them, I'd be absolutely full of adoration for you if you tell me how it goes. Nothing quite like playtesting to spot the kinks in something. Hopefully I'll have enough material out to offer some build choices by that point. However, I'm sad to say I don't really know who this avatar is supposed to be - but I saw an adorable girl with an adorable giant hammer in the avvie adoption center, and I couldn't just leave her there!

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I always felt Nanoha style MGs were Warlocks myself.

Must be good?

So what is a Dark Magical Girl? Alternate class entirely? Blackguard style PRC? Warlock?
    Warlocks are one way to look at it, but I felt the idea warranted a class of its own.

As for the alignment, yes - Dark Magical Girls are a PrC that I'm currently working on. They're not quite a 'blackguard' though; they actually can be any alignment they want - evil, neutral, or even a cynical good. It's less an 'evil' class than what happens when a magical girl gets jaded and world-weary from her constant battles.

And thanks to everyone chiming in what they like (and what needs to be fixed)! I really appreciate both. Unfortunately, no update tonight. Weekdays tend to make it hard to make progress on big things like PrCs. I should hopefully have at least some stuff tomorrow though.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2011-10-20 at 01:42 AM.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Friendship Through Superior Firepower! Magical Girl Base Class, Set Up! [3.5]

Looking through the illuminations, I don't see any specifically flavored for energy attacks (like Fire Attacks, a la Sailor Mars). Seems to me it might be a good fit for the class.

Also, excellent work!

3. - Top - End - #33

The thing is, most of the damage a magical girl deals is untyped - in most cases, that's better than dealing elemental damage. Still, some flexible elementalsim couldn't hurt - hence the new feat. I thank you for the idea.

For now, another very small update, only two feats.

Added the Magical Mentor feat. Archivist struck me as a better fit here than wizard. Divine magic is more support and healing oriented for the most part, which fits better with a mentor's role in relation to a magical girl. Even the most combat-oriented mentor animals still essentially play backup to their charge.

Added the Prismatic Calling feat. While it's likely to often be a downgrade from typeless damage, being able to produce a given element on demand is both fitting and reasonably practical.

Good news is that the Dark Magical Girl should be up later today, barring something coming up for me unexpectedly. So there's that.

Homebrew:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Added the Magical Mentor feat. Archivist struck me as a better fit here than wizard. Divine magic is more support and healing oriented for the most part, which fits better with a mentor's role in relation to a magical girl. Even the most combat-oriented mentor animals still essentially play backup to their charge.
    Your mentor animal may cast spells as an Archivist of a level equal to one-third your magical girl level (rounded down), using your magical girl class level as a caster level.
    The wording is ambiguous on whether it refers to archivist levels or spell levels. Deleting "a level equal to" would fix this.

5. - Top - End - #35

But first, thanks for pointing out that wording issue. It should be fixed now.

Hey, everyone! You know how I said I would probably have the Dark Magical Girl up by tonight? Weee~eeell... you also know that thing where something ends up taking much longer than you thought?

Yeah, that.

Still, I am working on it, despite hitting some difficulties. So I figure, since I can't give any 'real' content tonight, I'll post up the skinless organ-monster of my progress on the class so far. Critique and advice are welcome, and I readily acknowledge that this is no-where near done and there are likely entire concepts which will need to be re-worked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level
    1 Sad Eyes, Rage of Tears
    2 Bleak Revelation: Denial
    3 Numbed Body, Costume (Max +1)
    4 Bleak Revelation: Anger
    5 Ravaged Mind
    6 Bleak Revelation: Bargaining, Costume (Max +2)
    7 Deadened Heart
    8 Bleak Revelation: Despair
    9 Lost Spirit, Costume (Max +3)
    10 Bleak Revelation: Closure

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the dark magical girl.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dark magical girl gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Sad Eyes (Ex): A dark magical girl has seen the hate and terror the world hides just beneath its surface… but some part of her still remembers what it was like to be able to look around in wonder at the splendor of it all. She may add half of her magical girl class level (rounded down) to the number of rounds of Rage of Tears she can sustain each encounter.

Rage of Tears (Ex): For a dark magical girl, fury and sadness are one and the same. She put her whole being into protecting the world, into fighting for goodness and light – and the world paid her back with the cruel joke of the impossibility of their task. So she does the only thing she can: lash out, with all her pain and hurt.

As a free action that can only be taken during her turn, a dark magical girl can fly into a rage of tears. While in this state, she gains a +4 bonus to Charisma, a +2 bonus to Strength, and a +2 bonus to Dexterity. Additionally, she may make use of Strike-type illuminations. For the purposes of evoker level and the maximum level of illumination she can use, add together her magical girl and dark magical girl levels. When using illuminations in this manner, the dark magical girl does not pay the mote cost of the effects – instead, the cost is subtracted from the number of rounds left remaining in her rage of tears.

A dark magical girl’s rage of tears lasts for a number of rounds equal to [her (newly improved) Cha modifier + one half her class level, rounded down]. She may enter her rage only once per encounter, but there is no limit to how many times she can enter it per day.

A dark magical girl may not voluntarily end a rage of tears until the encounter is over; once unleashed, the raw torrent of emotion cannot be bottled up again without great effort. If a dark magical girl is forced out of her rage by running out of rounds to fuel it, her fury expends itself and leaves her a sobbing emotional wreck. For the remainder of the encounter, she takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability and skill checks.

Costume (Su): Though she no longer wields them for original intended purpose, a dark magical girl’s tools have not deserted her. Indeed, she often comes to cherish and value her device and armor as the only companions upon whom she can completely rely. This functions identically to the magical girl class feature of the same name, and magical girl and dark magical girl levels stack to determine how many costume points she may allocate to her costume. To determine the maximum point value for her costume’s features, add together the maximum values granted by her two instances of this class feature. (For example, a Magical Girl 7/Dark Magical Girl 3 would have 5 costume points, and maximum point value of +3)

Bleak Revelation (Ex): A dark magical girl’s heart is a raw and battered thing – once broken, it now wallows in a torrent of awful realizations. The world is far from a perfect place, and to be faced with all its flaws and depravities at once is a horrifying ordeal. But the dark magical girl endures. Even as they slowly numb her, she learns a harsh lesson from the revelations: that if she wishes to survive in this world, she will have to become just as terrible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Denial: People lie. They perform heinous crimes, yet never will they admit that something might actually be their fault. At second level, the dark magical girl learns to do the same. She receives a bonus equal to her class level on bluff checks made to seem innocent of wrongdoing, and on sense motive checks to catch a lie. Additionally, while in her rage of tears, the dark magical girl may add her Cha modifier to melee attack rolls against flat-footed opponents.

Anger: Love is fragile, but hate endures. A happy family of many years can be rent asunder with a mere handful of ill-placed words, and the peace between nations is only as long as the temper of their rulers. A dark magical girl knows full well the power of rage, but at fourth level she truly embraces her anger. While in her rage of tears, she may add her Cha modifier as a bonus to weapon damage rolls.

Bargaining: Mortals are cowards. They will give up anything for just one more day of life; family, friends, and the people who rely on them are just coinage when it comes down to the final choice between life and death. At sixth level, the dark magical girl turns this to her advantage. She receives a bonus equal to her class level on intimidate checks. Additionally, while in her rage of tears, any enemy that hits the dark magical girl with a melee attack takes damage equal to her Cha modifier or the damage of their own attack (whichever is lower).

Despair: Your pain was for nothing. This is the hardest of all lessons for most magical girls to come to accept; that one can spend their entire life doing good, only to see their works collapse the moment they draw their last breath. But at eighth level, the dark magical girl finally runs out of arguments. She throws herself into every battle with an almost suicidal fury, seeming to care little whether she lives or dies. While in her rage of tears, a magical girl can eschew defense completely in a bloody frenzy: at the beginning of each turn, she may reduce her AC by an amount up to her Cha modifier. For each point sacrificed this way, she gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to damage rolls until the end of the turn.

Numbed Body (Ex): At third level, a dark magical girl has learned to block out physical pain as so much noise. All the cuts and bruises in the world can’t compare to the pain she feels inside. While in her rage of tears, a dark magical girl can expend a round of her rage as an immediate action to gain DR/- equal to her Cha modifier against a single attack.

Overall Intention:

This is intended to be a very offensive class, in sharp opposition to the more protective magical girl. The big 'gimmick' of the class is that it operates on a fuse - her Rage of Tear isn't just a buff, it is (supposed to) power many of her class features. The more she 'pushes it' and spends rounds on offensive boosts, the more likely she is to have a nasty breakdown.

In role terms, she'd be a high-risk striker - someone you could play and always feel like you were 'walking a tightrope'. The penalty for overspending isn't terrible, but its enough to make one think carefully about trying to risk it. Dark magical girls are often as powerful - or more so - than a their heroic counterparts, but they're also emotionally unstable and prone to breaking at very bad times.

Major problems:

1. The 'sacrificed feelings' line is not done. Obviously. These were originally going to be defensive abilities fueled by Rage, while the Revelations were going to be the offensive ones.

2. Too much keying off of Cha, and too many lazy +Cha to X bonuses. I need to come up with some more interesting effects, and they completely miss the intended mechanic of risky spending. The Bleak Revelations border on un-recoverable in their current state. Also, they're a little too depressing and nihilistic even for a class themed on loss of innocence and the pain of exposure to the worst parts of the world. Also-also, they're not even done - I stopped myself to think on it before finishing up with their current nonsensical pattern.

Possible Solutions:

1. I'm leaning towards making the 'sacrificed feelings' be passive utility boosts, each with a Cha/Day SLA. These are self-boosts and internal modifiers only, and don't eat up precious Rage rounds.

2. These will be what they were intended to be - Strike-Illumination-Like abilities, with boosted damage and rider effects in exchange for lighting a fire on the other end of your Rage-candle. Generally speaking, they're the 'heavy hittiers' of the class - this is what you're probably coming for when you PrC in. The strike-illumination capability itself will likely be struck.

On the bright side, weekend means more time to work on this. Hopefully, a cleaner and more sensible version ought to be going up very soon. I just thought this might be worth putting up as something to look at. Apologies.

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I mades you a feat. I hope you bes happy.

Illuminating Song
    The flow of sound through your heart mimics the flow of light through your soul.
    Prerequisites: Inspire Competence, Costume class feature.
    Benefits: Your levels in Magical Girl and Bard stack when determining the number of Motes you may use per encounter and the bonus derived from your Inspire Courage.

In addition, as long as you are under the effects of your own Bardic Music, you may choose to deal Sonic damage instead of the normal untyped damage with your Illuminations.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #37

The Dark Magical Girl

"You say you know no sadness? How can you look at me like that and still say that?"
    -Fate, a dark magical girl

A magical girl is an innocent. Her eyes view the world with joy and wonder, seeing every pain and sorrow as something to ease, every evil as a foe to fight. The are the purest crusaders of goodness and light in the world, and for most, that worldview is unshakable. But on those rare and terrible occasions in which that innocence is lost, a magical girl falls hard. For most, realizations of the hardships of the world are a fact of life - for a magical girl, each one is another pebble in an avalanche that slowly buries their entire worldview.

These Dark Magical Girls wield a power all their own - the power of their hurt and loss, and their anger at the treason of the world. Lost and uprooted, they are warriors whose reason to fight has been stripped away. Seldom is their new one half so wholesome.

Requirements

To become a dark magical girl, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Special: Must have the Pure of Heart class feature – and must have lost your innocence as detailed in that ability.
    Special: Must have the Power of Friendship class feature (you still qualify even if you cannot access it due to your loss of innocence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Qualifying for the class isn't really hard, and you don't have to build for it. Becoming a dark magical girl isn't something one trains for - it's a cruel violation, and few would ever walk this path voluntarily.

One notable feature is that, despite the overwhelmingly bleak and cynical nature of this class, you don't actually have to be evil to take it. A lot of dark magical girls are actually neutral - self-interested, but still essentially decent people who are hurting very badly. A few even remain good-aligned; often the most tragic of all - continuing to fight the battle of right despite growing feelings that her work is futile.

Class Skill List: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is essentially the same as the magical girl's list, with a few notable additions - the more world-weary dark magical girls are far more willing to lie, steal, bully and con than they were before their fall.

Dark Magical Girl

Hit Dice: d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Sad Eyes, Rage of Tears, Memories of Light, Suppress Emotions

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bleak Revelation: Denial

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Numbed Body, Costume (Max +1)

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bleak Revelation: Anger

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Ravaged Mind

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Bleak Revelation: Bargaining, Costume (Max +2)

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Deadened Heart

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Bleak Revelation: Despair

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Lost Spirit, Costume (Max +3)

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Bleak Revelation: Acceptance[/table]

Spoiler
    Show

Saves are shared with the magical girl, but you probably noticed that the DMG gets full BAB. She's a bruiser, and being able to hit her foes often and hard is a rather big part of a striking role. It isn't big, but the few extra BAB points are a nice perk. They spend less time dwelling on happy memories, and much more on on brutal and violent ones - fighting ability is the one thing a dark magical girl has that she knows for sure will remain hers no matter what, and she often obsesses over it.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the dark magical girl.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dark magical girl gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why would she? Her costume is probably still better anyway.

Sad Eyes (Ex): A dark magical girl has seen the hate and terror the world hides just beneath its surface… but some part of her still remembers what it was like to be able to look around in wonder at the splendor of it all. She may add her magical girl class level to the number of motes she gains when she enters a Rage of Tears.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is by and large a fluff ability. A high-level magical girl who falls is getting hurt much more than a low level one. It is far from an optimal choice, but there is at least a small perk here.

Rage of Tears (Ex): For a dark magical girl, fury and sadness are one and the same. She put her whole being into protecting the world, into fighting for goodness and light – and the world paid her back with the cruel joke of the impossibility of their task. So she does the only thing she can: lash out, with all her pain and hurt.

As a free action that can only be taken during her turn, a dark magical girl can fly into a rage of tears. While in this state, she gains a +4 bonus to Charisma, a +2 bonus to Strength, and a +2 bonus to Dexterity.

A dark magical girl’s rage of tears lasts for a number of rounds equal to her (newly improved) Cha modifier. She may enter her rage only once per encounter, but there is no limit to how many times she can enter it per day.
    A dark magical girl may end her rage early as a swift action, and doing so may have various effects depending on the revelation she is currently channeling. However, when her rage ends, her fury expends itself and leaves her a sobbing emotional wreck. For the remainder of the encounter, she takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability and skill checks.

A dark magical girl's rage ends at the end of an encounter, regardless of how many rounds are remaining. She cannot enter a rage of tears outside of combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the crux of the PrC - almost every single ability it has is active during the rage of tears, or triggers as part of its end. At first level it's just a statistical boost, but it gains other effects through the revelations she learns. The concept of 'risking rounds' turned out to be far too unwieldy to be practical, so it was replaced with the idea of end-of-rage effects. A dark magical girl can positively erupt in a number of very nasty ways, but doing so takes a serious toll on her.

Suppress Emotions (Ex): Many Dark Magical Girls learn to cope with their emotions by suppressing them. While this does temporarily alleviate the pain, it does nothing to help their mental stability and comes with consequences of its own. As a swift action, while in rage of tears, the dark magical girl may choose to suppress her emotions. While doing so she gains none of the normal benefits from being in her rage of tears, instead taking a -2 penalty to charisma and gaining a +1 bonus to will saves.

Each turn she begins while suppressing her emotions increases the number of remaining rounds in her rage of tears by 1, rather than reducing it. Despite losing the other benefits of her rage, a dark magical girl still gains motes while suppressing her emotions - and the seething, bottled feelings amplify the energy beyond its usual limits. If she begins her turn with her emotions suppressed, a dark magical girl gains additional motes equal to [her class level + her magical girl level, divided by 5]. She may not channel any of her bleak revelations while suppressing her emotions. Ceasing to suppress her emotions is a swift action.

Costume (Su): Though she no longer wields them for original intended purpose, a dark magical girl’s tools have not deserted her. Indeed, she often comes to cherish and value her device and armor as the only companions upon whom she can completely rely. This functions identically to the magical girl class feature of the same name, and magical girl and dark magical girl levels stack to determine how many costume points she may allocate to her costume. To determine the maximum point value for her costume’s features, add together the maximum values granted by her two instances of this class feature. (For example, a Magical Girl 7/Dark Magical Girl 3 would have 5 costume points, and maximum point value of +3).

Spoiler
    Show
    When everyone else has forsaken you, you can always count on your murderstick. It never really liked them anyway. A magical girl's device is one of the few powers she keeps when she falls from innocence, and a dark magical girl continues it along its progression at pretty much the same rate it would have gone.

Memories of Light (Su): When a dark magical girl's emotions are at their peak, her soul raw and bare before her, some faint echo of what she once was resounds within her. When she flies into a rage of tears, a dark magical girl gains a number of motes equal to [her class level + her magical girl class level]. Further, she gains an additional mote each turn she sustains her rage. At fifth level, she gains one additional mote per turn.

These motes may be spent on either strike or blast illuminations - a dark magical girl chooses which type of illumination she will specalize in when she gains this class feature, and the choice can not be changed. When using these illuminations, she possesses an evoker level of [her class level + her magical girl class level]. She does not need to prepare illuminations, and is considered a magical girl of her evoker level for the purpose of determining the highest level of illumination she may access.

Bleak Revelation (Ex): A dark magical girl’s heart is a raw and battered thing – once broken, it now wallows in a torrent of awful realizations. At each even-numbered level, she gains further insight into the depravities of the world she once thought pure. When she enters her Rage of Tears, the dark magical girl can choose to channel any of the revelations she has learned as a part of that rage, though only one revelation may be channeled at a time. Switching to channel a different revelation is a swift action.

Spoiler
    Show

Denial

At second level, the dark magical girl learns of the deceit and willful blindness of a world that sees her pain and does nothing to ease it. When channeling the revelation of denial, the dark magical girl may make take a 5-foot-step as an immediate action when an enemy she threatens takes a 5-foot-step, so long as the movement would allow her to threaten the target again. Additionally, her melee attacks may ignore an amount of DR up to her Cha modifier. Ending her rage of tears while channeling the revelation of denial allows a dark magical girl to pound her broken spirit into the ground itself; a number of spaces within 40 feet up to twice her (raging) Cha modifier become difficult terrain until the end of the encounter, and enemies that move through such spaces take damage equal to twice the number of motes the dark magical girl had when she ended her rage. She and her allies may move through these spaces as if they were normal terrain.

Anger

At fourth level, the dark magical girl learns that love is fragile, but hate has power all its own – if the world has no justice, she will make her own bloody vengeance. When channeling the revelation of anger, any enemy that damages the dark magical girl in melee takes damage equal to her Cha modifier. Ending her rage of tears while channeling anger allows the dark magical girl to make a single melee attack at her highest bonus; if the attack is successful, it is automatically a critical hit, and the critical multiplier increases by one for every five motes the dark magical girl had when she ended her rage. If the attack misses, it deals damage as if it had been a normal hit.

Bargaining

At sixth level, the dark magical girl comes to realize that for all the talk of nobility and sacrifice on the wind, the world is driven by fear – people will pay any price, and worship any heroic dupe, for just a little more life. While channeling the revelation of bargaining, any creature hit by one of the dark magical girl’s attacks takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and AC for one full round. This penalty is cumulative if she makes multiple attacks against the same target. Ending her rage of tears while channeling bargaining forces all enemies within 30 feet to make fortitude save with a DC of [10 + the dark magical girl’s class level + her (improved) Cha modifier]; creatures that fail the save are treated as shaken until the end of the encounter, but the penalties inflicted by that condition are increased by one for every four motes the dark magical girl had when she ended her rage.

Despair

At eighth level, a dark magical girl finally succumbs to the terrible truth that everything she went through was ultimately pointless – she could have fought on to her very last breath for the light, and it wouldn’t have mattered one bit in the end. While channeling the revelation of despair, the dark magical girl gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls whenever she is not a full health. This bonus is initially +1, and increases by an additional +1 for every ten points by which her current health is lower than her maximum health. Ending her rage of tears while channeling despair deals damage equal to [the dark magical girl’s maximum hit points - her current hit points + four times the number of motes she had when she ended her rage] to each enemy within 30 feet, allowing a fortitude save with a DC of [10 + the dark magical girl’s class level + her (improved) Cha modifier] for half damage.

Acceptance

At tenth level, a dark magical girl takes the final and most difficult step in her journey: learning to accept what she has learned, and to find her place in a world much darker than she had ever imagined. She has tempered her sorrow to a peerless edge, and can wield it as deftly as any master with their weapon. One per encounter, as a standard action, the dark magical girl can generate an effect as if she had ended her rage of tears without actually doing so.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Rage of Tears is the crux of this class, but the Bleak Revelations are what makes it shiny and interesting. I'd like to think that all four of the channelable revelations would see use, and they all have their own moments to shine. The 'nukes' you can blast each one into are quite potent, at the expense of essentially swallowing a Crushing Despair spell effect.

The capstone is quite flashy, allowing freer use of the class's strongest options. I'm not quite sure if this is overpowered or not, and input on it in particular is welcome.

Numbed Body (Ex): At third level, a dark magical girl has learned to block out physical pain as so much noise. All the cuts and bruises in the world can’t compare to the pain she feels inside. Once per encounter she may gain DR/- equal to her Cha modifier for one round, which stacks with any other DR she may possess. She gains an additional use of this ability per encounter at fifth level, and every odd-numbered level thereafter. Expending a use of Numbed Body (on this or any other ability) is an immediate action.

Ravaged Mind (Ex): At fifth level, the dark magical girl’s mind has become a broken thing, but the lessons etched into it are not soon forgotten. By expending a use of Numbed Body, she may treat a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check she has just made as if the result had been a 10.

Deadened Heart (Ex): At seventh level, the dark magical girl feels almost nothing past the pall of her sadness – worldly afflictions mean little to her. By expending a use of Numbed Body, she may purge a single poison or disease (even a magical one) from her system, completely removing its effects. Alternately, she may remove any one of the following conditions if they are afflicting her: Blinded, Dazed, Deafened, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, or Sickened.

Lost Spirit (Ex): At ninth level, a dark magical girl’s grief has etched itself so strongly into her that it seems capable at times of overwriting death itself. When the dark magical girl would be slain by a death effect, she may expend two uses of her Numbed Body to instead be reduced to -9 hit points and instantly stabilized.

Spoiler
    Show
    This quartet of abilities may not be as spectacular, but they grant some stability and utility to the class. Their uses each day are quite limited, but they are more a perk than the star of the show. I doubt they will go unused, to be certain.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2012-10-23 at 11:36 AM.

Homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I mades you a feat. I hope you bes happy.

Illuminating Song
    The flow of sound through your heart mimics the flow of light through your soul.
    Prerequisites: Inspire Competence, Costume class feature.
    Benefits: Your levels in Magical Girl and Bard stack when determining the number of Motes you may use per encounter and the bonus derived from your Inspire Courage.

In addition, as long as you are under the effects of your own Bardic Music, you may choose to deal Sonic damage instead of the normal untyped damage with your Illuminations.
    I do be happy! This has been added to the feat list. Bard is a natural compliment to the magical girl both mechanically and thematically, and a this feat allows the blending of two great tastes that taste great together. I can see either class taking the other as a dip with this - a bard going magical girl for the more support-styled Illuminations and the Costume, or the magical girl going bard for a buff that doesn't drain her precious motes.

Compliments, and this has been added to the feat list. Also...

Update day!

The Dark Magical Girl is finally up! Critique and advice are welcome as always.

Currently Working On:

The Costumed Crusader PrC. A smaller project than the DMG, and one that hopefully shouldn't take overlong. Also, Amechra has inspired to likely devise a few more multiclass feats for compatible classes. Paladin and Marshal stand out from the crowd as appropriate, as well as possibly Sorcerer.

Homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #39

I was wondering if you have though about having Bhu designer of the Cat Burglar class have a go at making a Magical Girl/Cat Burglar PrC?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Unlimited Joy
    Watashi wa chō shiawasedesu!
    Prerequisites: The ability to Rage, Costume +1
    Benefit: Your levels in Barbarian and Magical Girl stack for the purpose of determining the daily uses of your Barbarian Rage and the bonus for your Costume class feature.

In addition, you may enter into a state of supreme joy and love for the world; by expending a daily use of Rage, you may enter into Bliss. While you are under the effects of Bliss, you gain a +4 bonus to Charisma and Wisdom and DR 2/-. You may stay in your state of
    Bliss for a number of rounds equal to 3+your Charisma modifier; when your Bliss ends, you regain half the number of Motes you have spent so far this encounter, and you are Fatigued one round later.

Heart's Blade
    Everyone has a blade in their heart!
    Prerequisites: Psychic Strike +1d8, Costume +1
    Benefit: Your Soulknife and Magical Girl levels stack for the purpose of determining your Costume Bonus and your Psychic Strike damage.

In addition, you may designate your Device as your Mind Blade; if you do so, it gains the benefit of any feats that improve either your Device or your Mind Blade.

Cerulean Illumination
    For a moment there, your eyes offer a glimpse to a soul swathed in the souls of others, others who have gone before.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Must have an Essentia pool.
    Benefit: You gain the ability to invest Essentia into your Illuminations. If you do so, you gain a bonus to the damage dealt by that Illumination equal to twice the essentia invested into that Illumination.

In addition, you may now power essentia receptacles with your Motes; if you do so, your investiture limit is equal to your Costume bonus, and you must pay the amount "invested" in motes each round, or else no longer be able to use that essentia receptacle for the rest of the encounter.

Whose Soul is a Shelter for All
    There are many roles you will be called upon to play; one of them is... shepherd.
    Prerequisites: Power of Friendship, Ability to bind 2nd level Vestiges
    Benefit: Your Binder and Magical Girl class levels stack to determine your Effective Binder Level and the number of Motes you gain at the beginning of each encounter.

However, you lose the ability to use Illuminations and the 1/5 rounds abilities that Vestiges grant. Instead, you may use the 1/5 rounds abilities of any vestige you bind at will, as long as you are able to pay the Mote cost, as listed on the table below.

{table=head]Vestige Level|Mote Cost
    1-2|1
    3-4|3
    5-6|4
    7|5
    8|7[/table]
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Despair

At eighth level, a dark magical girl finally succumbs to the terrible truth that everything she went through was ultimately pointless – she could have fought on to her very last breath for the light, and it wouldn’t have mattered one bit in the end. While channeling the revelation of despair, the dark magical girl gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls whenever she is not a full health. This bonus is initially +1, and increases by an additional +1 for every ten points by which her current health is lower than her maximum health. Ending her rage of tears while channeling despair deals damage equal to [the dark magical girl’s maximum hit points - her current hit points], allowing a fortitude save with a DC of [10 + the dark magical girl’s class level + her (improved) Cha modifier]for half damage.
    To who?

I could go into msn to ask this, but it is faster this way. That part of bleak revelation is missing its target(s), as is it might very well be dealing the damage to yourself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Magical Apprentice
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, ability to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and wizard levels stack for determining your costume bonus and arcane caster level. When preparing spells you can choose to convert one or more Illumination slots into wizard spell slots of the same level or vice versa; this modification lasts until you prepare spells again.
    Special: If you have the Mentor Animal and Familiar class features you can designate your mentor animal as your familiar; in this case your wizard and magical girl levels stack for determining its Bardic Knowledge modifier.

Magical Thief
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Trap sense +1, Trapfinding
    Benefit: Your magical girl and rogue levels stack for determining your costume bonus and trap sense bonus. Add Hide, Move Silently and Search to your magical girl class skills.

*insert magical girl/ninja feat here*

Sacred Champion
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells and ready 2 illuminations per encounter, Turn Undead
    Benefit: Your cleric and magical girl levels stack to determine your effective cleric level when turning undead and your number of motes per encounter. Paladins count as clerics of their class level -3.

?
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Eldritch Blast 2d6
    Benefit: Your magical girl and warlock levels stack for determining your costume bonus and damage reduction. Your Blast illuminations deal additional damage equal to your eldritch blast damage. Your Merciful class feature applies to your invocations.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-24 at 09:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Opinions on my feats? Do they seem balanced?

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler
    Show
    Unlimited Joy
    Benefit: Your levels in Barbarian and Magical Girl stack for the purpose of determining the daily uses of your Barbarian Rage and the bonus for your Costume class feature.

In addition, you may enter into a state of supreme joy and love for the world; by expending a daily use of Rage, you may enter into Bliss. While you are under the effects of Bliss, you gain a +4 bonus to Charisma and Wisdom and DR 2/-. You may stay in your state of
    Bliss for a number of rounds equal to 3+your Charisma modifier; when your Bliss ends, you regain half the number of Motes you have spent so far this encounter, and you are Fatigued one round later.

Heart's Blade
    Everyone has a blade in their heart!
    Prerequisites: Psychic Strike +1d8, Costume +1
    Benefit: Your Soulknife and Magical Girl levels stack for the purpose of determining your Costume Bonus and your Psychic Strike damage.

In addition, you may designate your Device as your Mind Blade; if you do so, it gains the benefit of any feats that improve either your Device or your Mind Blade.

Cerulean Illumination
    For a moment there, your eyes offer a glimpse to a soul swathed in the souls of others, others who have gone before.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Must have an Essentia pool.
    Benefit: You gain the ability to invest Essentia into your Illuminations. If you do so, you gain a bonus to the damage dealt by that Illumination equal to twice the essentia invested into that Illumination.

In addition, you may now power essentia receptacles with your Motes; if you do so, your investiture limit is equal to your Costume bonus, and you must pay the amount "invested" in motes each round, or else no longer be able to use that essentia receptacle for the rest of the encounter.

There are many roles you will be called upon to play; one of them is... shepherd.
    Benefit: Your Binder and Magical Girl class levels stack to determine your Effective Binder Level and the number of Motes you gain at the beginning of each encounter.

However, you lose the ability to use Illuminations and the 1/5 rounds abilities that Vestiges grant. Instead, you may use the 1/5 rounds abilities of any vestige you bind at will, as long as you are able to pay the Mote cost, as listed on the table below.

1-2|1
    3-4|3
    5-6|4
    7|5
    8|7[/table]
    Well, these are nice, to say the least! I particularly like Cerulean Illumination and Unlimited Joy. Which isn't to say I don't like the other two (I do), merely that binders and soulknives are classes I have had little experience with.

Still, these open up a lot of interesting build options, and I can't see anything wrong with them balance-wise (prior disclaimer in effect here). So into the feat list they go!

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    To who?

I could go into msn to ask this, but it is faster this way. That part of bleak revelation is missing its target(s), as is it might very well be dealing the damage to yourself.
    Doh. It is supposed to specify to every enemy within 30 feet. Silly mistake on my part, ought ot be fixes now.

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    I was wondering if you have though about having Bhu designer of the Cat Burglar class have a go at making a Magical Girl/Cat Burglar PrC?
    That is something I had not thought. But it is something I now have thought, and I think such an idea may well be a good one. I'll look into it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magical Apprentice
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, ability to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and wizard levels stack for determining your costume bonus and arcane caster level. When preparing spells you can choose to convert one or more Illumination slots into wizard spell slots of the same level or vice versa; this modification lasts until you prepare spells again.
    Special: If you have the Mentor Animal and Familiar class features you can designate your mentor animal as your familiar; in this case your wizard and magical girl levels stack for determining its Bardic Knowledge modifier.

Magical Thief
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Trap sense +1, Trapfinding
    Benefit: Your magical girl and rogue levels stack for determining your costume bonus and trap sense bonus. Add Hide, Move Silently and Search to your magical girl class skills.

*insert magical girl/ninja feat here*

Sacred Champion
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells and ready 2 illuminations per encounter, Turn Undead
    Benefit: Your cleric and magical girl levels stack to determine your effective cleric level when turning undead and your number of motes per encounter. Paladins count as clerics of their class level -3.

?
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Eldritch Blast 2d6
    Benefit: Your magical girl and warlock levels stack for determining your costume bonus and damage reduction. Your Blast illuminations deal additional damage equal to your eldritch blast damage. Your Merciful class feature applies to your invocations.
    Lovely feats! A questions though (this also applies to Cerulean Illuminations up above, to an extent) -

Is the MG/Warlock feat intended to allow the non-damaging blast illuminations to deal damage? Given that most of those are swift actions, and are cheaper than the damaging blasts, this feat could be a little overpowered. I'm going to put it in the list clarifying that such an action does not work, but clarify me if I'm wrong.

Where flavor text or names were missing, I filled in my own. Feel free to overrule them on your feats though, if you have something you'd prefer.

I've also tossed in a pair of my own multiclass feats, but tonight is not a huge update night (from me, anyway - thanks to all you who are contributing!). The Costumed Crusader ought to be up tomorrow night though.

Homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Is the MG/Warlock feat intended to allow the non-damaging blast illuminations to deal damage? Given that most of those are swift actions, and are cheaper than the damaging blasts, this feat could be a little overpowered. I'm going to put it in the list clarifying that such an action does not work, but clarify me if I'm wrong.
    Right.

Looking at Costume Elements, Heavy seems a little underwhelming while Thematic could do with something that lets you use your element offensively, even if it's minor.

Life Unbound
    Tapping into your magical girl powers relieves you from your body's normal limitations.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Oracle's Curse class feature, ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and oracle levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with oracle spells and the effects of your oracle's curse. You do not suffer the negative effects of your Oracle's Curse while in costume.

Shazam!
    You and your alter ego are different ages, or even different species.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1
    Benefit: While in costume, your size increases by one category (if you are Small or smaller) or reduces by one category (if you are Medium or larger). This otherwise functions as enlarge person or reduce person respectively. You cannot don your costume without changing size or vice versa, though if you have multiple costumes you choose which receive this benefit (minimum one).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-26 at 03:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, that slipped past me. May not be able to close all the loopholes. In this case, it should be simple enough to clarify that the dice are not rolled, and do not trigger any effect that would trigger upon rolling maximum damage on a dice. It may not be possible to close all the loopholes, but there's no sense in letting them go once they've been spotted. Thanks for pointing that out.
    That works. Some loopholes though... I THINK just take too many words, and make stuff too confusing to close (can't think of a specific one of hand). Good that this doesn't seem to be one of them.
    Ah, that is interesting. I did quite a bit of searching through the boards for a magical girl class, and came up with nothing, but I hadn't thought to look at senshi. While the mahou shojo in that thread is woefully unfinished, the senshi itself actually seems like it could have some interesting synergy with my version of the magical girl. Again, thanks for showing me this.
    You are quite welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Cat Burglar goes with everything... eeeevvveerrrrythiiiinggg....
    admittedly some combinations make slightly more sense than others, but Bhu hath spoken and so shall it be.
    Unlimited Joy

As written this requires a standard action (since you didn't specify an action). OF course, it IS a very powerful ability especially with that end ability (although most battles won't last that long).

1-2|1
    3-4|3
    5-6|4
    7|5
    8|7[/table]
    Losing all Illuminations seems a bit steep...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Whose Soul is Shelter for All is made for a Binder who wants to dip Magical Girl...

I might revise it, though; however, Zceryll's summons, among other things...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe make it "The highest level of illuminations you would otherwise have access to", instead of "all illuminations"?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, an interesting Base Class to use for interesting games, although the whole "Loss of Innocence" sounds a bit dangerious depending on the game itself...

I've been doing some research on Pathfinder classes so here's some concepts to think of while I think of some corny names for them later.

???
    ???
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Arcane Pool class feature, ability to cast 2nd-level Arcane spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and Magus levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with Magus spells, Arcane Pool and Magus Arcana.
    Special: [Notes on Mentor Animal, Device and the Bladebound Archtype]

???
    ???
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Deeds and Grit class features
    Benefit: Your magical girl and Gunslinger levels stack for determining your costume bonus, and avalible Deeds.
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-10-26 at 10:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

The Costumed Crusader

"It isn't ridiculous! In fact, there's still some room left for more ribbons, I think..."
    -Usagi, a Costumed Crusader

Nearly every magical girl has a certain attachment to her costume. The elaborate (often impractically so by conventional logic) outfits are a calling card, a symbol. The costume of a well-known magical girl might become shorthand for fighting the good fight across the land.

Sometimes though, a magical girl finds a closer affinity to her armor and device than to the focused disciplines of Illuminations. These are the costumed crusaders - cheerfully resorting to an entire arsenal of bigger sticks rather than worry about finesse on the battlefield.

Requirements
    To become a costumed crusader, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Feat: Stylish
    Special: Must have the Costume class feature, and must be able to allocate two points to a single costume effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, simple requirements - only Stylish is something you have to make an effort to get, and even that is minimal. This is a fairly small prestige class, and the requirements for getting in are likewise fairly easy to meet.

Class Skill List: Concentration (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Spoiler
    Show
    Only changes from the magical girl list are armor and weaponsmithing being added. They probably won't see much use, but it at least shows that a costumed crusader has a degree of expertise with equipment. Draw up enough imaginary suits of armor, and you might pick up a few actual worthwhile insights along the way into real ones.

Costumed Crusader

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special | Illuminations / Evoker Level

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Costume, Bonus Costume Point, Expanded Wardrobe, Magical Makeover, Unfocused Illuminations | +1 level of existing illumination-using class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Favorite Flavor (One effect), Costume (+1), Quick Transformation (Standard Action) |
    ---

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Favorite Flavor (Two effects), Bonus Costume Point, Costume Damage | +1 level of existing illumination-using class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Favorite Flavor (Three effects), Costume (+2), Quick Transformation (Move Action) |
    ---

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Costume Point, Ribbons of Light, Expanded Wardrobe | +1 level of existing illumination-using class
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Blah, blah. The chassis is identical to the magical girl.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A costumed crusader gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    As with most magical girl PrCs, why would they even want this? Their costume is better than almost any equipment they might otherwise wield.

Costume (Su): This functions identically to the magical girl class feature of the same name, and magical girl and costumed crusader levels stack to determine how many costume points she may allocate to her costume. To determine the maximum point value for her costume’s features, add together the maximum values granted by all her instances of this class feature.

Bonus Costume Point: At first, third, and fifth levels, the costumed crusader gains an additional costume point, which may be allocated normally.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its worth discussing these two as a unit, since they are. The long and short of it is that, simply enough, a costumed crusader averages a costume point per level, rather than a costume point every other level. Not an insignificant boost. They also can get Costume +3 a little earlier than a pure magical girl.

Expanded Wardrobe (Su): You may attune to a second costume, independent of the first. Each of these costumes has its own pool of costume points, and you can freely re-arrange both whenever you could re-arrange one. Whenever you change into your costume, you may choose between the two.

Despite the fact that it is not dismissed along with the rest of your costume, your device may still have different costume point allocation for your two costumes. If you are not currently wearing either costume, it uses the point allocation of the costume you wore last. At fifth level, the costumed crusader gains an additional costume.

This ability stacks with the feat of the same name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another early-get ability - the CC gets this sooner than a MG would be able to afford the feat (and can afford the feat sooner as well, if you feel like it). This plays a big part in making up for the versatility that a magical loses by not getting her higher level illuminations.

Magical Makeover (Su): A costumed crusader isn’t content to just fine-tune her outfit – she has to look perfect wearing it as well! Whenever the costumed crusader dons her costume, she may radically change her own appearance along with it – anything from a simple shift in hair color to looking like a totally different person. This functions identically to the spell Disguise Person, and the +10 bonus from that spell may be applied to the disguise check made to conceal the costumed crusader’s identity from viewers.

The exact nature of any cosmetic changes must be decided ahead of time, but may be chosen independently for each costume the costumed crusader possesses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Be whoever you want to be! This is mostly fluffy in nature, but it is obviously a big boon for any magical girl working to keep her identity a secret.

Illuminations: At 1st, 3rd, and 5th levels, the costumed crusader gains an increase in all aspects of her illuminations class feature, as if she had gained a level in magical girl. At 2nd and 4th levels, she gains a +1 bonus to her evoker level and increases the size of her mote pool by one.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get more motes, and your save DCs and such go up, but you lose out on higher-level illuminations and can prepare fewer at a time. Simple enough - it hurts given how potent some of the high-level illuminations are, but its the trade-off for the rest of the stuff you get in this PrC.

Sometimes, simple and clean is best! Rock it like a spellcaster, girls, because as of the Power of Teamwork update, magical girl PrCs advance illuminations via a method with which I'm sure we are all quite familiar.

Favorite Flavor (Ex): The costumed crusader starts to refine her ability to design her favorite costumes beyond anything an ordinary magical girl could achieve. At second level, and again at third and fourth levels, she selects a single costume element as a favorite. When allocating costume points, a favored costume element has a capacity one higher than the costumed crusader could normally allocate. The Enhance costume effect is too widespread and generic to add that signature flair to, and may not be selected as favored.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even when they have a bunch of different costumes, a magical girl's outfits tend to share a few key traits in common. This is pretty flexible, and conveniently gives you three extra slots to put your three extra costume points in, so you don't have to go buying half of all the costume abilities available before you run out.

Quick Transformation (Su): At second level, a costumed crusader has mastered changing into and out of her various costumes, and can do so in what seems like the blink of an eye. Summoning or dismissing her costume is now a standard action, rather than a full-round action. Additionally, she may summon an alternate costume while she is already wearing one, allowing her to replace her costume without first dismissing it. At fourth level, she may summon or dismiss her costume as a move action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nobody interrupts a magical girl. That would be rude. Also, it's hard to interrupt a transformation sequence when they fast-forward through it in ~3 seconds. This makes 'combat-swapping' an actual viable tactic, even if the decision is still a tricky one.

Costume Damage (Ex): An ordinary magical girl’s costume is almost always spotless, but the costumed crusader realizes that a little wear and tear here and there never hurt anybody. Whenever she suffers damage from an attack and is not flat-footed, she can use her costume’s structure to dampen the blow. By reducing the number of points allocated in a single costume effect by one, the costumed crusader may decrease the damage total by seven. However, costume effects damaged in this way remain so until the costumed crusader has an opportunity to re-allocate the points in her costume (at which time all damages are repaired fully).

If you change into a different costume while your current costume is missing points, the new costume immediately loses points to match it (though you may still choose which abilities pay the cost).

Spoiler
    Show
    Oftentimes an attack that looks like it ought to be lethal only ends up tearing holes in/scuffing up/burning away bits of a magical girl's costume. This is best as an emergency lifesaver, but it can be useful in a lot of situations if you're willing to give up some of your edge to keep your health up.

Ribbons of Light (Su): At fifth level, the costumed crusader learns how to spin material out of nothing but light itself, literally armoring herself in the purity of her own soul. Once per day, as a full-round action, the costumed crusader can generate a number of additional costume points equal to her Charisma modifier, allocating them to each of her available costumes immediately. These additional costume points last until the end of the encounter.

Spoiler
    Show
    And last but not least, in-combat costuming reaches its pinnacle. Given that a CC is going to be using lower-level 9and therefore lower-cost) illuminations than she normally would be at her magical girl level, she's bound to have a few spare motes on hand. In particular,this can be very useful if you need a particular Thematic or Avenging costume element.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2012-10-23 at 11:36 AM.

Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #51

Sorry this is late! Again. I think I should stop saying 'tomorrow', because something always comes up to obstruct it. Ah well, the costumed crusader is up! More costume elements (and a couple revamps of existing ones, like heavy) will be coming out soon to compliment it.

In other news:

Spoiler
    Show
    Right.

Looking at Costume Elements, Heavy seems a little underwhelming while Thematic could do with something that lets you use your element offensively, even if it's minor.

Life Unbound
    Tapping into your magical girl powers relieves you from your body's normal limitations.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Oracle's Curse class feature, ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and oracle levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with oracle spells and the effects of your oracle's curse. You do not suffer the negative effects of your Oracle's Curse while in costume.

Shazam!
    You and your alter ego are different ages, or even different species.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1
    Benefit: While in costume, your size increases by one category (if you are Small or smaller) or reduces by one category (if you are Medium or larger). This otherwise functions as enlarge person or reduce person respectively. You cannot don your costume without changing size or vice versa, though if you have multiple costumes you choose which receive this benefit (minimum one).
    Yay pathfinder classes! Oracle seems like an oddly good fit - the sick seer girl who can suddenly run and jump and play thanks to her power is such a sweet concept.

Shazam is nice too, but it reminds me of the fact that I currently have no clue what the mechanical effect of playing as a kid would be. Would a young human (or elf or dwarf or half-orc or etc) just be 'human + small size'? Are there rules for that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Cat Burglar goes with everything... eeeevvveerrrrythiiiinggg....
    admittedly some combinations make slightly more sense than others, but Bhu hath spoken and so shall it be.
    Was going to PM-send tonight to see about that topic, but then, 3AM. Not sleeping is fun.

As written this requires a standard action (since you didn't specify an action). OF course, it IS a very powerful ability especially with that end ability (although most battles won't last that long).
    Actually, the thing that kind of appealed to me about it was the fact that the feat is arguably better with a low Cha score. Ordinary magical girls would suffer hugely from a Cha score low enough to regularly trigger the end ability, but a barbarian/MG might well have a much lower Cha than someone coming in from a class like oracle or bard.

Losing all Illuminations seems a bit steep...
    Whose Soul is Shelter for All is made for a Binder who wants to dip Magical Girl...

I might revise it, though; however, Zceryll's summons, among other things...
    As I said before, I know little enough about Binders (let alone supplements for them) to be unqualified in balancing them. However, let me know if you find a good tweak to the feat, and I'll change it. My two cents though is that losing all illuminations should probably be avoided, if possible. That's taking away so much of the MG side of things that you're almost just playing a binder with an alternate resource system.

Homebrew:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Shazam is nice too, but it reminds me of the fact that I currently have no clue what the mechanical effect of playing as a kid would be. Would a young human (or elf or dwarf or half-orc or etc) just be 'human + small size'? Are there rules for that sort of thing?
    For human children I generally use halflings (strongheart halflings are closer still). PF even has a feat for this. It also has the Young template, but it's not really intended for PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneMage210 View Post
    Hmm, an interesting Base Class to use for interesting games, although the whole "Loss of Innocence" sounds a bit dangerious depending on the game itself...

I've been doing some research on Pathfinder classes so here's some concepts to think of while I think of some corny names for them later.

???
    ???
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Arcane Pool class feature, ability to cast 2nd-level Arcane spells
    Benefit: Your magical girl and Magus levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with Magus spells, Arcane Pool and Magus Arcana.
    Special: [Notes on Mentor Animal, Device and the Bladebound Archtype]

???
    ???
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Deeds and Grit class features
    Benefit: Your magical girl and Gunslinger levels stack for determining your costume bonus, and avalible Deeds.
    These are kind of excessive. You're not just increasing numbers, you're practically turning your Magical Girl levels into gestalt Magical Girl//X levels (particularly for the gunslinger, who qualifies with a 1-level dip at that). Conversely, you get practically nothing for levelling up in your second class.

Let me give it a try:

Busou Shoujo
    You have turned your magical talents towards fighting with weapons.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, and Magus Arcana or Black Blade
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with Magus spells and Arcane Pool.
    Special: If you have the Device and Black Blade class features, you may choose to designate your Device as your Black Blade, even if it is not a weapon of the correct type.
    Special: If you have the Mentor and Black Blade class features, they are combined into a single entity with the higher mental stats of the two, which can switch between its forms as a standard action. Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining its Bardic Knowledge modifier.

Gunslinger Girl
    SHOOOOOOOOT!!
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Gun Training
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Gunslinger levels stack for determining your costume bonus and the effects of your Nimble and Gun Training class features. Your magical girl levels also count as gunslinger levels for the purposes of prerequisites.

EDIT:

Magical Idol
    You live for the stage, and your powers earned you your first big break.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Famous, Inspire Competence
    Benefit: While in costume your Magical Girl and Bard levels stack to determine your costume bonus and the effects of your Famous and Gather Crowd class features.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-27 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The Costumed Crusader

"It isn't ridiculous! In fact, there's still some room left for more ribbons, I think..."
    -Usagi, a Costumed Crusader

Nearly every magical girl has a certain attachment to her costume. The elaborate (often impractically so by conventional logic) outfits are a calling card, a symbol. The costume of a well-known magical girl might become shorthand for fighting the good fight across the land.

Sometimes though, a magical girl finds a claser affinity to her armor and device than to the focused disciplines of Illuminations. These are the costumed crusaders - cheerfully resorting to an entire arsenal of bigger sticks rather than worry about finesse on the battlefield.

Requirements
    To become a costumed crusader, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Feat: Stylish
    Special: Must have the Costume class feature, and must be able to allocate two points to a single costume effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, simple requirements - only Stylish is something you have to make an effort to get, and even that is minimal. This is a fairly small prestige class, and the requirements for getting in are likewise fairly easy to meet.

Class Skill List: Concentration (Int), Craft [Armorsmithing] (Int), Craft [Weaponsmithing] (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Spoiler
    Show
    Only changes from the magical girl list are armor and weaponsmithing being added. They probably won't see much use, but it at least shows that a costumed crusader has a degree of expertise with equipment. Draw up enough imaginary suits of armor, and you might pick up a few actual worthwhile insights along the way into real ones.

Costumed Crusader

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Costume, Bonus Costume Point, Expanded Wardrobe, Magical Makeover, Unfocused Illuminations

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Favorite Flavor (One effect), Costume (+1), Quick Transformation (Standard Action)

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Favorite Flavor (Two effects), Bonus Costume Point, Costume Damage

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Favorite Flavor (Three effects), Costume (+2), Quick Transformation (Move Action)

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Costume Point, Ribbons of Light
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Blah, blah. The chassis is identical to the magical girl.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A costumed crusader gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    As with most magical girl PrCs, why would they even want this? Their costume is better than almost any equipment they might otherwise wield.

Costume (Su): This functions identically to the magical girl class feature of the same name, and magical girl and costumed crusader levels stack to determine how many costume points she may allocate to her costume. To determine the maximum point value for her costume’s features, add together the maximum values granted by all her instances of this class feature.

Bonus Costume Point: At first, third, and fifth levels, the costumed crusader gains an additional costume point, which may be allocated normally.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its worth discussing these two as a unit, since they are. The long and short of it is that, simply enough, a costumed crusader averages a costume point per level, rather than a costume point every other level. Not an insignificant boost. They also can get Costume +3 a little earlier than a pure magical girl.

Expanded Wardrobe (Su): You may attune to a second costume, independent of the first. Each of these costumes has its own pool of costume points, and you can freely re-arrange both whenever you could re-arrange one. Whenever you change into your costume, you may choose between the two.

Despite the fact that it is not dismissed along with the rest of your costume, your device may still have different costume point allocation for your two costumes. If you are not currently wearing either costume, it uses the point allocation of the costume you wore last. This ability stacks with the feat of the same name. If the costumed crusader has both, she may attune herself to three costumes rather than two.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another early-get ability - the CC gets this sooner than a MG would be able to afford the feat (and can afford the feat sooner as well, if you feel like it). This plays a big part in making up for the versitility that a magical lose sby not getting her higher level illuminations.

Magical Makeover (Su): A costumed crusader isn’t content to just fine-tune her outfit – she has to look perfect wearing it as well! Whenever the costumed crusader dons her costume, she may radically change her own appearance along with it – anything from a simple shift in hair color to looking like a totally different person. This functions identically to the spell Disguise Person, and the +10 bonus from that spell may be applied to the disguise check made to conceal the costumed crusader’s identity from viewers.

The exact nature of any cosmetic changes must be decided ahead of time, but may be chosen independently for each costume the costumed crusader possesses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Be whoever you want to be! This is mostly fluffy in nature, but it is obviously a big boon for any magical girl working to keep her identity a secret.

Unfocused Illuminations: While she may be less inclined to focus it directly than the average magical girl, the costumed crusader’s soul is no less radiant for it. Her levels in costumed crusader and magical girl stack to determine how many motes she begins an encounter with and her evoker level for illuminations.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get more motes, and your save DCs and such go up, but you lose out on higher-level illuminations and can prepare fewer at a time. Simple enough - it hurts given how potent some of the high-level illuminations are, but its the trade-off for the rest of the stuff you get in this PrC.

Favorite Flavor (Ex): The costumed crusader starts to refine her ability to design her favorite costumes beyond anything an ordinary magical girl could achieve. At second level, and again at third and fourth levels, she selects a single costume element as a favorite. When allocating costume points, a favored costume element has a capacity one higher than the costumed crusader could normally allocate. The Enhance costume effect is too widespread and generic to add that signature flair to, and may not be selected as favored.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even when they have a bunch of different costumes, a magical girl's outfits tend to share a few key traits in common. This is pretty flexible, and conveniently gives you three extra slots to put your three extra costume points in, so you don't have to go buying half of all the costume abilities available before you run out.

Quick Transformation (Su): At second level, a costumed crusader has mastered changing into and out of her various costumes, and can do so in what seems like the blink of an eye. Summoning or dismissing her costume is now a standard action, rather than a full-round action. Additionally, she may summon an alternate costume while she is already wearing one, allowing her to replace her costume without first dismissing it. At fourth level, she may summon or dismiss her costume as a move action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nobody interrupts a magical girl. That would be rude. Also, it's hard to interrupt a transformation sequence when they fast-forward through it in ~3 seconds. This makes 'combat-swapping' an actual viable tactic, even if the decision is still a tricky one.

Costume Damage (Ex): An ordinary magical girl’s costume is almost always spotless, but the costumed crusader realizes that a little wear and tear here and there never hurt anybody. Whenever she suffers damage from an attack and is not flat-footed, she can use her costume’s structure to dampen the blow. By reducing the number of points allocated in a single costume effect by one, the costumed crusader may decrease the damage total by four. However, costume effects damaged in this way remain so until the costumed crusader has an opportunity to re-allocate the points in her costume (at which time all damages are repaired fully).

If you change into a different costume while your current costume is missing points, the new costume immediately loses points to match it (though you may still choose which abilities pay the cost).

Spoiler
    Show
    Oftentimes an attack that looks like it ought to be lethal only ends up tearing holes in/scuffing up/burning away bits of a magical girl's costume. This is best as an emergency lifesaver, but it can be useful in a lot of situations if you're willing to give up some of your edge to keep your health up.

Ribbons of Light (Su): At fifth level, the costumed crusader learns how to spin material out of nothing but light itself, literally armoring herself in the purity of her own soul. By spending two motes as a free action, she may immediately allocate a single costume point to her current costume (she is still constrained by normal maximums for costume effects). These conjured costume effects last until the end of the encounter or until she changes into a different costume, whichever comes first.

Spoiler
    Show
    And last but not least, in-combat costuming reaches its pinnacle. Given that a CC is going to be using lower-level 9and therefore lower-cost) illuminations than she normally would be at her magical girl level, she's bound to have a few spare motes on hand. In particular, I can see this as being very useful if you need a particular Thematic or Avenging costume element.

God, it is huge.
    Selinia, I do believe your class skill choices make this the only class ever to not have all craft skills as class skills.
    Last edited by Draken; 2011-10-27 at 09:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

24. - Top - End - #54

With the Favorite Flavour ability upping the max allowed points by 1, I think that it would be fun to add an extra ability in these elements.

Something like the seventh point in Thematic give an elemental aura that hurt anyone attacking the MG in melee.

Quick, might gives a small dodge bonus to AC.

Heavy could add some extra HP and resistance to bull rush, trip and/or grapple.

Oversized could augment the weapon damage size by one step or turn the +2 into a +3.

Protective making the MG gain some minor ability to take a blow for someone or deny safe 5-ft steps.

Avenging could similarly to Oversized turn the +2 into +3 and/or ignore DR or other protective abilities.

Keep up the good work Selinia.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes though, a magical girl finds a claser affinity to her armor and device than to the focused disciplines of Illuminations.
    Should be "closer".
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

For human children I generally use halflings (strongheart halflings are closer still). PF even has a feat for this. It also has the Young template, but it's not really intended for PCs.

These are kind of excessive. You're not just increasing numbers, you're practically turning your Magical Girl levels into gestalt Magical Girl//X levels (particularly for the gunslinger, who qualifies with a 1-level dip at that). Conversely, you get practically nothing for levelling up in your second class.

Let me give it a try:

Busou Shoujo
    You have turned your magical talents towards fighting with weapons.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, and Magus Arcana or Black Blade
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with Magus spells and Arcane Pool.
    Special: If you have the Device and Black Blade class features, you may choose to designate your Device as your Black Blade, even if it is not a weapon of the correct type.
    Special: If you have the Mentor and Black Blade class features, they are combined into a single entity with the higher mental stats of the two, which can switch between its forms as a standard action. Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining its Bardic Knowledge modifier.

Gunslinger Girl
    SHOOOOOOOOT!!
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Gun Training
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Gunslinger levels stack for determining your costume bonus and the effects of your Nimble and Gun Training class features. Your magical girl levels also count as gunslinger levels for the purposes of prerequisites.

EDIT:

Magical Idol
    You live for the stage, and your powers earned you your first big break.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Famous, Inspire Competence
    Benefit: While in costume your Magical Girl and Bard levels stack to determine your costume bonus and the effects of your Famous and Gather Crowd class features.
    Ah thanks Prime, sometimes I rush things without thinking...

I have a few Archtype concepts for Magical Girl, with a few notes on series of Origin:

Makai Knight: A jaded Magical Girl who has the Innocence beaten out of her by her teacher(s), forsaking for Pure of Heart, Illuminations, Power of Friendship, and Voice of Light, but can designate an Exotic Weapon as a Device, can use Medium or Heavy Armor as a Costume, Warblade-like Hitdie and bonuses, as well as special Costume features for her Mount in exchange, as well as gaining an alternate variant of "Come Back!" and (Level 20 replacement for True Illumination) (Series of Origin: GARO) [A Medium/Heavy Armor-variation of the Magical Girl. Unarmed variant also gives Monk-like Unarmed Strike progression.]

Makai Priest: A jaded Magical Girl who forsakes Pure of Heart, Power of Friendship, Illuminations (including True Illumination), and Voice of Light but gains Monk-like Unarmed Strike progression, and limited Cleric-like spellcasting in exchange, as well as gaining an alternate variant of "Come Back!"(Series of Origin: GARO) [A limited Cleric that fights like a Monk, though optionally can also fight with a specialized Construct]

Puella Magi: A seemly immortal Magical Girl, who uses Martial weapons to fight Outsiders, though abuse of Illuminations and falling into significante despair has dire conquences enough to shake up the worldview of other (non-Jaded) Magical Girls... (Series of Origin: Puella Magi Madoka Magica) [A Magical Girl who if she uses too many Motes without killing enough Outsiders, can become a very dangerious Outsider themselves.]

Space Knight: A Magical Girl that draws upon the stars. (Series of Origin: Sailor Moon)
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-10-28 at 03:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoneMage210 View Post
    Puella Magi
    There are Sanity and Taint rules in the SRD, and Ravenloft has rules on "Dark Powers checks". I think those are enough to represent them.

Also, aren't the "jaded" parts of the GARO-inspired stuff covered by Dark Magical Girl? You could probably cover that with a paladin multiclass and a new feat which lets you use heavy armor.
    I will now link Saviour in the Dark for no reason other than its awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOrQko1c1w
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-27 at 07:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

You need something to emulate Magical Knight Rayearth, just because.

It would need to replace Illuminations with some system to just use their willpower to power through everything.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

There are Sanity and Taint rules in the SRD, and Ravenloft has rules on "Dark Powers checks". I think those are enough to represent them.

Also, aren't the "jaded" parts of the GARO-inspired stuff covered by Dark Magical Girl? You could probably cover that with a paladin multiclass and a new feat which lets you use heavy armor.
    I will now link Saviour in the Dark for no reason other than its awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOrQko1c1w
    Yea, although the Makai Knight and Makai Priest are Jaded from 1st Level to 20th whereas a Dark Magical Girl develops into her Jaded nature, and perhaps you have a point, although TBH, a Magical Girl that fights like a Warblade (or Unarmed Swordsage for that matter) would make for a laugh...

Also, you do have a point on Puella Magi... although I would think it'll be interesting if a PC winds up commiting to playing the resulting Elderich Horror that comes out of being a Puella Magi...

You need something to emulate Magical Knight Rayearth, just because.

It would need to replace Illuminations with some system to just use their willpower to power through everything.
    Yea, shame I got nothing... and unfortinately out of Magical Warrior, I'm drawing a blank for one inspired by Cutey Honey, except maybe as a Bluffing specialist with "Manifest Disguise" as a significante Class Feature...
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-10-27 at 09:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

So, uh, Iron Heart and Diamond Mind maneuvers, plus Mettle?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.