New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Friendship Through Superior Firepower! Magical Girl Base Class, Set Up! [3.5]

Yea...

Ah crap! Also forgot to make an Unarmed Magical Girl Archtype... which gives... Improved Unarmed Strike and Unarmed Strike Progression in exchange for Weapon Profiencies or something... based on the worlds of Pretty Cure and Kamen Rider
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-10-28 at 02:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Friendship Through Superior Firepower! Magical Girl Base Class, Set Up! [3.5]

Ooh, archetype idea: White Devil. Fear effects. Everywhere. All of them.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yea, well, let me have a bit of fun...

Expanded Device Selection
    Prerequisites: Device, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Any)
    Benefit: You can designate an Exotic Weapon you are Proficient in as your Device.
    Note: Well, let's face it, some Magical Girls are quite "out there" when it comes to Devices... Signum from Nanoha As, for example, uses a whip as her Device, or rather, a part of her Device.

Expanded Costume Base
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Medium Armor Proficiency
    Benefit: You can designate a suit of Medium Armor as your Costume.
    Special: If you have Heavy Armor Proficiency, your Costume choices expand even further, able to designate a suit of Heavy Armor as your Costume.
    Note: Prime32, you may have a point about the Makai Knight Archtype, but this feat is there to expand Base Armor choices for the Costume feature, without forsaking Pure of Heart and related stuff (or dip in Paladin and use this feat as you suggested )

Cute Witch
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Hex Class Feature
    Benefit: Your magical girl and witch levels stack for determining your costume bonus, and Caster Level for Witch spells.
    Special: If you have the Mentor Animal Class Feature, you can designate your Mentor Animal as your Familar, if so, then your Witch and Magical Girl levels are stacked to determine Natural Armor bonuses.
    Note: I'm not sure what Hexes to restrict to be honest, so this is up in the air, but the Cute Witch IS a Magical Girl Archtype that can be portrayed like this... although honestly I'm not the best Feat Forger...

*Insert Summoner/Magical Girl feat idea here, something related to the eidolon?*
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-10-28 at 08:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoneMage210 View Post
    Yea...

Ah crap! Also forgot to make an Unarmed Magical Girl Archtype... which gives... Improved Unarmed Strike and Unarmed Strike Progression in exchange for Weapon Profiencies or something... based on the worlds of Pretty Cure and Kamen Rider
    Kamen rider doesn't seem like a magical girl(though I suppose the classes crunch could work for it, but fluff wise the class would be an odd fit), the pretty cure comment makes sense though
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    For human children I generally use halflings (strongheart halflings are closer still). PF even has a feat for this. It also has the Young template, but it's not really intended for PCs.

These are kind of excessive. You're not just increasing numbers, you're practically turning your Magical Girl levels into gestalt Magical Girl//X levels (particularly for the gunslinger, who qualifies with a 1-level dip at that). Conversely, you get practically nothing for levelling up in your second class.

Let me give it a try:

Busou Shoujo
    You have turned your magical talents towards fighting with weapons.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, and Magus Arcana or Black Blade
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining your costume bonus, caster level with Magus spells and Arcane Pool.
    Special: If you have the Device and Black Blade class features, you may choose to designate your Device as your Black Blade, even if it is not a weapon of the correct type.
    Special: If you have the Mentor and Black Blade class features, they are combined into a single entity with the higher mental stats of the two, which can switch between its forms as a standard action. Your Magical Girl and Magus levels stack for determining its Bardic Knowledge modifier.

Gunslinger Girl
    SHOOOOOOOOT!!
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Gun Training
    Benefit: Your Magical Girl and Gunslinger levels stack for determining your costume bonus and the effects of your Nimble and Gun Training class features. Your magical girl levels also count as gunslinger levels for the purposes of prerequisites.

EDIT:

Magical Idol
    You live for the stage, and your powers earned you your first big break.
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Famous, Inspire Competence
    Benefit: While in costume your Magical Girl and Bard levels stack to determine your costume bonus and the effects of your Famous and Gather Crowd class features.
    Lovely as usual, and thanks for the halflings-as-children suggestion. Magical Idol made me giggle - Celebrity Bard/Magical Girl is such a perfect match.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Selinia, I do believe your class skill choices make this the only class ever to not have all craft skills as class skills.
    I... didn't even think of that. Somehow I thought Craft was piecemeal, like Knowledge. Gah, that's what I get for doing a lot of my work on these things between 12 and 3AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Favorite Flavour ability upping the max allowed points by 1, I think that it would be fun to add an extra ability in these elements.

Something like the seventh point in Thematic give an elemental aura that hurt anyone attacking the MG in melee.

Quick, might gives a small dodge bonus to AC.

Heavy could add some extra HP and resistance to bull rush, trip and/or grapple.

Oversized could augment the weapon damage size by one step or turn the +2 into a +3.

Protective making the MG gain some minor ability to take a blow for someone or deny safe 5-ft steps.

Avenging could similarly to Oversized turn the +2 into +3 and/or ignore DR or other protective abilities.

Keep up the good work Selinia.
    Favorite Flavor (combined with the faster costume growth of the CC in general) is pretty powerful as it is, letting a magical girl get the best effects of her Costume much earlier than normal. I like the idea, but I think adding even more effects on top of things like perma-flight and programmable Favored Enemy is probably a bit much.

Heavy is getting a buff though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah thanks Prime, sometimes I rush things without thinking...

I have a few Archtype concepts for Magical Girl, with a few notes on series of Origin:

Makai Knight: A jaded Magical Girl who has the Innocence beaten out of her by her teacher(s), forsaking for Pure of Heart, Illuminations, Power of Friendship, and Voice of Light, but can designate an Exotic Weapon as a Device, can use Medium or Heavy Armor as a Costume, Warblade-like Hitdie and bonuses, as well as special Costume features for her Mount in exchange, as well as gaining an alternate variant of "Come Back!" and (Level 20 replacement for True Illumination) (Series of Origin: GARO) [A Medium/Heavy Armor-variation of the Magical Girl. Unarmed variant also gives Monk-like Unarmed Strike progression.]

Makai Priest: A jaded Magical Girl who forsakes Pure of Heart, Power of Friendship, Illuminations (including True Illumination), and Voice of Light but gains Monk-like Unarmed Strike progression, and limited Cleric-like spellcasting in exchange, as well as gaining an alternate variant of "Come Back!"(Series of Origin: GARO) [A limited Cleric that fights like a Monk]

Puella Magi: A seemly immortal Magical Girl, who uses Martial weapons to fight Outsiders, though abuse of Illuminations and falling into significante despair has dire conquences enough to shake up the worldview of other (non-Jaded) Magical Girls... (Series of Origin: Puella Magi Madoka Magica) [A Magical Girl who if she uses too many Motes without killing enough Outsiders, can become a very dangerious Outsider themselves.]

Space Knight: A Magical Girl that draws upon the stars. (Series of Origin: Sailor Moon)
    Interesting ideas. I don't intend to do any more magical girl stuff that directly involves being jaded or 'evil' for some time - The Dark MG covers a lot of that, and there's plenty of other ground to cover - but I will definitely be making more archetypes all around. As soon as I scrounge up enough writing time to actually get stuff done. Stupid busy week.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Ooh, archetype idea: White Devil. Fear effects. Everywhere. All of them.
    This will happen. At some point.

Yea, well, let me have a bit of fun...

Expanded Device Selection
    Prerequisites: Device, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Any)
    Benefit: You can designate an Exotic Weapon you are Proficient in as your Device.

Expanded Costume Base
    Special: If you have Heavy Armor Proficiency, your Costume choices expand even further, able to designate a suit of Heavy Armor as your Costume.

Cute Witch
    Prerequisites: Costume +1, Hex Class Feature
    Benefit: Your magical girl and witch levels stack for determining your costume bonus, and Caster Level for Witch spells.
    Special: If you have the Mentor Animal Class Feature, you can designate your Mentor Animal as your Familar, if so, then your Witch and Magical Girl levels are stacked to determine Natural Armor bonuses.
    Cute Witch is nice. I've gone and tweaked Expanded Device a tiny bit, to reflect the fact that a magical girl only actually designates her device once - when you enter the class. Now it allows the device to shift back and forth, instead of designating a new one. I also smoothed the wording out on Expanded Costume Base, to simply allow for designating any type of armor you are proficient with.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I also just noticed your basic skill list for the magical girl is missing Craft and Profession entirelly.

Edit: And given that Tumble is there, maybe adding Balance would be a good idea.

'nother edit: It is also missing knowledge and spellcraft, pretty much any class that isn't 100% mundane has spellcraft and every class other than fighter, ninja, swashbuckler and barbarian has one or another knowledge (History, Local, Nature, Religion and Arcana would fit here, I think)
    Last edited by Draken; 2011-10-29 at 04:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Expanded Costume Base
    Note: Prime32, you may have a point about the Makai Knight Archtype, but this feat is there to expand Base Armor choices for the Costume feature, without forsaking Pure of Heart and related stuff (or dip in Paladin and use this feat as you suggested )
    You could simplify this to
    Knight's Costume
    Prerequisites: Costume +1
    Benefit: You can designate any suit of armor with which you are proficient as part of your Costume.
    Normal: A magical girl may only use light armor as part of her costume.
    (The name was a little vague; "Exotic Device" for the other one? )
    EDIT: I see Selinia has already done the first. Standard action to switch weapons on Evolved Device is a bit much - move action? Plus the ability to take the feat multiple times? Why are Devices limited to melee weapons anyway?

For Cute Witch, I'd also allow magical girl levels to stack with witch levels for determining the effects of hexes. But add 2nd-level arcane spells as a prereq, so you need three levels of witch to qualify.

EDIT2: Going back to Sacred Champion, it could use some caster level stacking in addition to turn undead.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-29 at 09:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yea, whoops... man I should read though Classes more carefully... I'm still drawing a blank on the Summoner/Magical Girl feat...

Anyhow, until I see some Archetype examples, I think I've seen enough to start making sample Adventurers

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, whoops... man I should read though Classes more carefully... I'm still drawing a blank on the Summoner/Magical Girl feat...
    Base it on summon monster rather than the eidolon and be Card Captor Sakura? Add a clause for Mentors that rather than summoning an Eidolon, you transform your Mentor into it.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-29 at 10:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, maybe... although the Synthesist archtype for Summoner would be quite... strange, merging with your Mentor Animal and use it as a shield of sorts...

Edit: Right Archtype but wrong name...

Edit 2: Might I suggest adding as an alternate to Turn Undead, "Channel Energy xd6" for Sacred Champion Requirements, for players that use Pathfinder-style Cleric and/or Pathfinder-style Paladin?

Edit 3: Here's a sample Adventurer, with the fact noted:

Spoiler
    Show
    Masaki Andou, Lord Knight of the 3rd Order

Character Level: 10

Race: Human

Alignment: Lawful Good

Lauguages known: Common

Class Levels: Magical Girl 5/Paladin 5

STR: 20 (+5), DEX: 18 (+4), CON: 14 (+2), INT: 8 (-1), WIS: 6 (-2), CHA: 20 (+5)

HP: 69

Move: 30 ft.

BAB: +8/+3

Melee: +14/+9 (+15/+10 w/ Cyfis active), Ranged: +12/+7

Ranged (Illumiations): +13

Armor Class: 22, Flatfoot 19, Touch 14 (w/o Costume), (33 (Flatfoot 28, Touch 15) (w/ Costume))

Fort: +12, Reflex: +14, Will +10

Commonly Readied Illuminations: 1st - Luminous Rain, Heartbreaker, Wandering Waltz

Commonly Used Spells (Caster Level: 2nd, Save DC: 14, Spells Per Day: 3/-/-/-): 1st - Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Endure Elements, Hero's Defiance, Knight's Calling,

Equipment: Discutter (Right Hand/Device, +1 Holy Longsword, 1d8+6 Slashing, +2d6 vs Evil creatures, worth 18,015 GP), Armor of Cybuster (Armor/Costume, Mithril Dwarven-Forged Reinforced Dwarven Plate, worth 13,600 GP, 1 Costume Point in Enchant, and Quick), Knight's Breastplate (Armor, Breastplate worth 200 GP), Knight's Shield of Langran (Left Hand, +3 Heavy Shield worth 9020 GP), Knight's Belt (Belt of Strength +4 Belt, worth 8,000 GP)

Loose Change: 165 GP

Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Focus (Long Sword), Expanded Costume Base, Channel Smite

Skills (ACP -6, -4 w/ Costume): Acrobatics +6 (+8 w/ Costume), Athlectics +13 (+15 w/ Costume), Knowledge [Langranian Nobility] +6, Ride +8 (+10 w/ Costume)

Abilities and Resistances: Pure of Heart, Mentor Animal (Shiro: Cat Familar, 34 HP, Str 3, Dex 15, Con 8, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 7 w/ Bardic Knowledge, knows Augury at CL5), Power of Friendship, Costume (+2), Smite Evil (2/day), Divine Grace, Lay on Hands (7/day), Divine Health (Immunity to all Disease), Channel Energy (8/day, 3d6 Posistive Energy, Will DC 17 for Undead), Mercy (Fatigued), Divine Bond (Cyfis: +1 Enchantment Bonus for 5 minutes)

GM Notes: This is Masaki Andou as a Lord Knight and thus has the Armor of Cybuster. If you are basing it off as a Knight before he became a Lord Knight, use the following equipment: Armor of Jahom (Armor/Costume, +1 Chainmail worth 1,150 GP and 1 Costume Point in Quick), Blade of Jahom (Right Hand/Device, +1 Longsword worth 2,015 GP), Knight's Shield of Langran (Left Hand, +1 Shield worth 1020 GP), Knight's Belt (Belt of Strength +2 Belt, worth 4,000 GP), and reduce his Character Level by 5 (removing and adding feats nessary so he can use all the replacement equipment, as well as adjusting his Class Levels as needed.).

Masaki Andou Lore (Knowledge [Langranian Nobility] or [Nobility]):
    DC 5: Masaki Andou is one of the many Royal Knights in Langran, resposible for protecting the Kingdom
    DC 10: Although he is of good nature, he has a tendency to barge into things head on without thinking.
    DC 15: The armor Masaki wears is of standard Knight's issue, although the armor he manifests can be recreated to a certain degree, with enough skill in Armor Crafting.

A friend also asked me about Costume: What happens if you try to use your Costume if you're wearing Cursed Armor for some god-forsaken reason?
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-11-05 at 12:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now i want to have a campaign based around magical boys just to balance the universe out... or maybe just play takuto from star driver.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Unfortiantely, Cybody Manifestor may or may not be part of the Archtypes the creator has planned...

Another example Adventurer, this time a Princess of a kingdom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Ichiji Kyuseishuu el Langranius, Gunner of the 13th Order

Character Level: 10 (ECL: 14)

Race: Half-Celestial Human

Alignment: Netural Good

Language: Common, Celestian, Abyssal, Infernal

Class Levels: Magical Girl 3/Gunslinger 5/Dark Magical Girl 2

STR: 17 (+3) (19 (+4) if Rage of Tears is Active), DEX: 20 (+5) (22 (+6) if Rage of Tears is active), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 17 (+3), WIS: 20 (+5), CHA: 22 (+6) (24 (+7) if Rage of Tears is active)

HP: 82

Grit: 7

Move: 30 ft. Ground, 60 Ft. Flight (Good Mobility) (w/o Costume), 50 ft. Ground, 100 Ft. Flight (Good Mobility) (w/ Costume)

BAB: +9/+4

Melee: +13/+8 (+14/+9 w/ Rage active), Ranged: +16/+11 (+17/+12 w/ Rage active)

Armor Class: 19, Flatfoot 11, Touch 18 (w/o Costume), (25, Flatfoot 17, Touch 18 (w/ Costume))

Fort: +9 (+13 vs Poisons), Reflex: +11 (+12 if Rage of Tears is active), Will +12

Spell-like Abilities (Caster Level 10, Spell DC 16): Protection from evil 3/day, bless 1/Day, Aid 1/Day, detect evil 1/Day, Cure serious wounds 1/Day, neutralize poison 1/Day, Holy smite 1/day, remove disease 1/day, Dispel evil 1/day

Equipment: Shirikawa Crested Revolver (Left Hand, +2 Holy Revolver, 1d6+7 Bash/Pierce, +2d6 vs Evil Creatures, worth 36,000 GP), Princess Outfit (Chest, Clothing worth 4000 GP), Shirikawa Crested Chain Shirt (Armor/Costume, Mithral Chain Shirt worth 1,100 GP, 2 Costume Points into Enchant, 2 Costume Points to Quick), Princess' Warhammer (Left Hand/Device, +1 Adamantine Warhammer, 1d8+4 Bash worth 5012 GP), Princess' Tiara (Head, +2 Crown of Dexterity, worth 4,000 GP)

Other Items: 50 Metal Cartidges, Gunsmith's Kit, Healer's Kit

Loose Change: 20 GP

Feats: Dodge, Skill Focus (Heal), Gunsmith, Weapon Focus (Revolver), Deft Shootist Deed, Extra Grit, Gunslinger Girl

Skills: Acrobatics +19, Athlectics +17, Diplomancy +20, Heal +25, Knowledge [Langranian Local] +17, Perception +19, Ride +12

Abilities and Resistances: DR 5/Magic, Resist Acid, Cold and Electricity 10, Spell Resistance 20, Immunity to Disease, Daylight, Smite Evil, Pure of Heart (Innocence Lost), Costume (+3, 4 Costume Points), Sad Eyes, Rage of Tears (Duration of 8 Rounds/Encounter, can be used as many times in one day, -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability and skill checks when Rage ends), Deeds (Deadeye, Gunslinger's Dodge, Quick Clear, Pistol Whip, and Utility Shot known), Gun Training (Revolver, Pistol), Nimble +3, Bleak Revelation: Denial (Ignores 7 points of DR while in Rage, When Rage of Tears end, creates a 14-square zone with her centered. Enemies treat this zone as Difficult Terrain)

GM's Note: Ichiji is a jaded Magical Girl and as such, should be treated with caution. If you want a more innocent Ichiji, you can reduce her character level by 4, remove her Dark Magical Girl levels and replace her equipment (except the Princess Outfit) as follows: Shirikawa Crested Revolver (Left Hand, +1 Revolver, 1d6+6 Bash/Pierce, worth 6,000 GP), Princess' Hammer (Left Hand/Device, Adamantine Warhammer, 1d8+3 Bash worth 3012 GP), Shirikawa Crested Chain Shirt (Armor/Costume, Mithral Chain Shirt worth 1,100 GP, 1 Costume Points into Enchant). Remember to prepair her Illuminations when using this version of the Princess Gunner, and also to reduce her Class levels as needed.

Ichiji Kyuseishuu Langranias Lore (Knowledge [Langranian Nobility] or [Nobility])
    DC 5: Ichiji is one of the many Princesses of the Langran Royal Family, and is one of the sweeter princesses.
    DC 10: Compaired to her more... refined sisters however, she also shows some fighting talent using both Warhammer and the recently invented Revolver, and thus is a Knight of Shirikawa's personal 13th Order, as one of the few Knights from the Royal Family.
    DC 15: Her Costume and Weapon are of both Shirikawa family origin, and were forged specifically to her sweet-sounding requests.
    DC 25: While usually known as a secret, Ichiji has been known to have taken female chambermaids for "comfort", ever since her innocence has been lost to bandits.

Knowledge [Planes]
    DC 10: Ichiji is in reality a very shy, yet soft-spoken half-Angel, created though the King's desire to have a powerful Magical Girl amoung his Knight's ranks.
    DC 20: She can be identified by the swan-like wings on her back when in her Princess outfit, although she can make them disappear at-will.

and one of the Queens of the Kingdom

Spoiler
    Show
    Elyssia von Langranius, the High Queen of Langran

Character Level: 15

Race: Tiefling

Alignment: Netural Good

Class Levels: Magical Girl 7/Dark Magical Girl 8

Languages: Common, Infernal, Celestial

Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)

STR: 16 (+3) (18 (+4) w/ Rage of Tears), DEX: 13 (+1) (15 (+2) w/ Rage of Tears), CON: 16 (+3), INT: 13 (+1), WIS: 12 (+2), CHA: 21 (+5) (23 (+6) w/ Rage of Tears)

HP: 101

Move: 50 ft. Ground/Flight (Good)

BAB: +12/+7/+2

Melee: +18/+13/+8 (+19/+14/+9 w/ Rage Active), Ranged: +16/+11/+6 (+17/+12/+7 w/ Rage active)

Armor Class: 35, Flatfoot 34, Touch 17 (w/o Costume), (37, Flatfoot 35, Touch 17 (w/ Costume))

Fort: +13, Reflex: +15 (+16 if Rage of Tears is active), Will +16

Spell-like Abilities (Caster Level 15, Spell DC 14): Darkness 1/day

Equipment: Elyssia's Katana (Both Hands/Device, +3 Keen, Holy Jade Katana, 1d8+6 Slashing (Crit: 16-20/x2), +2d6 vs Evil Creatures, worth 79,250 GP, 1 point into Oversized, Secondary Form: +3 Keen, Holy Jade Seven-Branched Sword 1d10+6 (Crit: 19-20/x3), +2d6 vs Evil Creatures), Noble's Dueling Outfit (Armor, +2 Leather Armor worth 4,010 GP), Queen's Armor (Armor/Costume, +5 Mithril Chain Shirt worth 26,100 GP, 4 points to Weightlessness, 2 points into Quick), Queen's Overcoating (Armor, +5 Mithril Chahar-Aina worth 29,075 GP), Queen's Bracers (Wrist, +5 Mithril Dastana worth 26,025 GP), Royal Cloak of Langran (Shoulder, +5 Cloak of Resistance worth 25,000 GP), Queen's Ring of Protection (Ring, +3 Ring of Protection worth 9,000 GP)

Other Items: Disguise Kit

Loose Change: 1,490 GP

Feats: Fiendish Heritage (Kyton-Spawn), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Katana), Barely Felt It, Exotic Weapon Profiency (Seven-Branched Sword), Evolved Device (Seven-Branched Sword)

Skills: Acrobatics +18, Bluff +27, Disguise +13, Ride +15, Sense Motive +19, Stealth +21, Use Magic Device +22

Abilities and Resistances: Resist Fire, Cold and Electricity 5, Pure of Heart (Innocence Lost), Costume (+4, 7 Costume Points), Power of Friendship, Not without Fear, Shrug it Off, Sad Eyes, Rage of Tears (Duration of 9 Rounds/Encounter, can be used as many times in one day, -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability and skill checks when Rage ends), Bleak Revelation: Denial (Ignores 6 points of DR while in Rage, When Rage of Tears end, creates a 12-square zone with her centered. Enemies treat this zone as Difficult Terrain),Bleak Revelation: Anger (Attackers attacking the Dark Magical Girl in melee takes 7 Untyped damage while in Rage, when Rage ends, make a Melee attack at highest bonus: This attack is an automatic Critical Threat), Bleak Revelation: Bargaining (While in Rage, creatures hit by Elyssia take a -2 to Attack and AC for a full round. When Rage ends, all enemies within 30 ft make a DC 24 Fortitude Save or be shaken for the encounter), Bleak Revelation: Despair (During a Rage, Elyssia gains +1 to Attack Rolls now, and an additional +1 for every 10 points of damage she takes. When Rage ends, all damage she accumulates during the fight is sent to every enemy within 30 feet of her, DC 24 Fort for half damage), Numbed Body (DR 7/- for 1 round, 3/day), Ravaged Mind (Expend 1 use of Numbed Body to Take 10 on attack roll, saving throw, or skill check), Deadened Heart (Expend 1 use of Numbed Body to purge the body of Poison or Disease, or purge the following Status Effects: Blinded, Dazed, Deafened, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, or Sickened.)

GM's Note: The High Queen of Langran is perhaps one of the major characters in any Langranian-based campaign. Elyssia can also be proven to be a tricky challenge to any would-be Regicidal adventurer, due to her SLA and her multitude of decoys sent to throw people off. In combat, her Rage of Tears can also prove to be a disaster for would-be Regicidal Adventures, though she is rarely (if ever) alone, sometimes being around Knights of the 1st, and/or 13th Orders, turning a seemly simple assassination attempt into a potential for a major brawl. If you are using a lower-level version of the Queen, make the adjustments to her equipment as needed, as well as make the needed adjustments to her Class Levels.

Elyssia von Langranius Lore (Knowledge [Langranian Nobility] or [Nobility])
    DC 5: Elyssia is one of the Queens of Langran, in fact the Queen closest to the current King of Langran.
    DC 10: The equipment carried by Elyssia are not of Langranian origin, but of a distant country where she was captured from. In addition, due to the complexity of her Device, it is close to impossible to duplicate.
    DC 15: The High Queen uses her sorrow as a weapon, due to the cruelity of the other Queens from her demon-like heritage.
    DC 30: She sometimes takes female chambermaids over to her room for comfort, but sometimes she even takes princesses or other queens over if she really needs to comfort herself.

Knowledge [Planes]
    DC 10: Elyssia is an unexpected choice for a Magical Girl, due to her demonic nature, especially a spawn of a Kyton.
    DC 15: She can be identified by her seemly tanned skin, raven-black hair, and several red marks around her skin, especially around the neck.
    DC 20: Additionally, there are some Arcane Runes on her right arm, indicating a Binder was attempting to tie her to the caster. However, she has successfully resisted such attemps, and glows when an Arcane Caster tries to use magic in her presences.
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-11-04 at 09:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

I was looking through this and really liked the flavor, though the lack of ... potence in most of the illuminations compared with their steep cost was a little troubling. For example, the Swallow Buster on an 11th level Magical Girl does 9d6 + double Cha on a Ranged Touch attack, with a Save for half and a neat second chance mechanic. Assuming she did nothing else with her Motes, she could use this ability twice per encounter.

However, one must consider that an out-of-the-box 11th level Warlock for example can do 6d6 damage with his Eldritch Blast at will, that this is a ranged touch attack with no save, and that he will usually be getting some sort of neat rider of similar value to the one on Swallow Buster. While the Warlock is certainly more strikery than a Magical Girl, it is a similar sort of class in terms of how it gets its powers and thus it's a little troubling how much of a gap this is.

Generally, I think the biggest problem is that a large majority of Illuminations require both attack rolls and saving throws, which is more or less giving the target two chances to escape the mechanic. While Tome of Battle has many similar strikes that allow a save, it's also much more generous in handing out strikes that deal large amounts of bonus damage or have other perks which don't allow saves. In my personal experience, stuff like Emerald Razor and Charging Pounce are usually a lot more useful than the save effect strikes.

On the subject of Auras, many of them seem to offer fairly small benefits compared to their constant cost, often in the form of minor bonuses to d20 rolls. Dance of Lights seemed like a particular offender in this area, though I didn't look at each aura in detail. In general, these sorts of minor bonuses are not well policed in 3.5e, and maintaining the effects for longer than one round (perhaps an entire encounter, but at moderately increased cost) would probably not be out of line.

Lastly, whether or not you agree with some of my more balance oriented suggestions above, I had an idea about the Pure of Heart ability. While I agree with your reasoning for permanent ability loss, 3.5e is a very nasty place, and their are quite a few spells and effects that can change one's alignment against one's will. I would suggest that immunity to all magical alignment changing effects be added into this ability, both for mechanical reasons and the rather fitting feeling of it.
    Last edited by DeAnno; 2011-11-03 at 01:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we get a PF version of this?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elimu Marimech View Post
    Can we get a PF version of this?
    Remove Concentration, Gather Information, Jump and Tumble from the class skills, add Acrobatics and Fly. Done.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-11-06 at 04:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Needs to have some option based off Princess Tutu.

(Look it up; it's crazy good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, I think we got enough ground covered... I got no other ideas on Magical girl Multi-classing foolery, even if I got more adventurers down...

Here's an Enchantment specific to Magical girls

Spoiler
    Show
    Illuminating Weapon
    Aura: Moderate Enchantment, CL: ??? (Lesser Illuminating Weapon), ??? (Illuminating Weapon), or ??? (Greater Illuminating Weapon), Price: ???
    ---
    Description: This weapon glows with a faint light, as if it was a weapon ment to be used by Good-Aligned characters. However, a Magical Girl can use such a weapon to store in reserve 10 Motes (5 Motes if it's a Lesser Illuminating Weapon, or 15 Motes if it's a Greater Illuminating Weapon) to be used in an encounter. A Magical Girl weilding such a weapon can use the Motes stored on the weapon to power her Illuminations. Non-Magical Girls treat this weapon as a Holy weapon except that for every Mote that is stored, an additional d6 is delt against Evil Creatures, although for every such use, one Mote is expended per attack. Evil-Aligned characters that touch the weapon gain 1 Negitive Level (2 Negitive Levels if it's a Greater Illuminating Weapon) that cannot be removed while weilding such a weapon (although once removed from such a creature, the Negitive Level goes away with it).
    ---
    Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, ???, Creator must be a Magical Girl

This enchantment, while I have no idea what is a suitable spell for it, nor the CLs, is basically a way for a Magical Girl to store Motes, and can be drawn upon in place of her own Motes. The other trait (weaponized Motes) is a surprize for Fluff's sake, and shouldn't really be used but then again... loot is loot so...

To clarify the Bonus damage thing, let's say... Erika, a human Rogue, uses a +8 Greater Illuminating Scythe (Yes this makes it an Epic weapon, no I'm just screwing around) with the max Motes stored, (15), if she were to hit an unaware Dr Hell over the head with it, she'd deal 2d4+2d6+15d6+15d6 (2d4 Base Weapon, 2d6 from Holy, 15d6 from Sneak Attack, +15d6 from Stored Motes)
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-11-12 at 10:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol. I step into homebrew while bored and find this! XD

The class is roughly T4 in power level. Its about equivalent to Barbarian.
    Motes used out of combat should regenerate to max in 5 minutes.

I would suggest the number of motes they get should increase by 1.5 to 2x. And expanding options for all illuminations.
    eg. simple one for damaging blasts is the ability to channel them: Concentrate for up to level/4 rounds, release as immediate action, deals bonus damage = 1/3 base damage per round channeled
    Come on, Starlight Breaker isn't the same if you can just fire it off. Need to hang around a giant ball the size of a cloud.

I'd strongly suggest a Utility type of Illumination.
    You need a Dispel-like effect. You need teleports. Especially defensive teleports.

--------------------------

Damaging strikes/blasts need a way to scale. Spend +1 mote for +2d6 damage? Cap damage at character level (not evoker level)

Swallow Buster is practically useless. If you want a chasing blast, here's how I'd model it:
    On miss, the thing hangs around and makes another attack the next turn. (no action required) And it keeps hanging around until end of encounter or it hits something.
    Lower damage to equivalent of earlier level for balance.

--------------------------

Magical girls are meant to be defensive you say?
    You don't have a shield. Forcefields and all that. How are you going to defend allies without one?

Make an illumination for it? Perhaps a special Aura-type. (zero cost to sustain but costs to absorb damage) Creates a flat translucent wall ala wall of force but coloured.
    Serves to break up enemy groups and create defensive cover for allies (and enemies but hopefully not all of them)

So, suggestion:
    Flash (Strike)
    Teleport up to 2x land speed in line of effect and make an attack with device with +2 attack bonus (counts as charging).

Shield (Aura)
    Cost: Special
    Action: Immediate
    Creates a flat surface 1 inch thick perpendicular to magical girl (side must face her)
    Flat surface breaks line of effect and acts basically identically to wall of force.
    Sustaining wall costs zero motes. When wall takes damage, damage / character level (round down) is the number of motes that must be spent to sustain wall or it breaks.
    Illumination colliding with wall costs motes equal to Illumination mote cost to block, effect is ignored; Spell colliding with wall costs motes equal to spell level to block, effect is ignored (including disjunction!)
    - Area effects only count when they are created and the area hits the wall. Once the wall has blocked an effect, that effect now costs zero to block if it continues to hit the wall

And finally, a suggestion for a True Illumination:
    I See Things Your way (??)
    Mote Cost: 0
    Evocation Action: 3 hours
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous

Sometimes, just sometimes, a magical girl can find that her very innocence prevents her from understanding some things about the world. When using Power of Friendship, a magical girl can use this Illumination to gain insight into the target's worldview.
    The magical girl does not understand the target completely, but builds a deeper bond and greater understanding. This allows her to learn the answer to one question regarding the goals and desires of the target, even if the target is unwilling to tell. This can be repeated for each session of Power of Friendship, answering a different question each time.

Most magical girls that use this rare Illumination stick to the more mundane use of the power. Few know that it can be used in a far more powerful manner, at far greater cost.

A magical girl can use this Illumination to gain *true* understanding of the target's worldview. This much greater understanding allows the magical girl to shift the target's moral alignment twice as if the target had failed two saves against Power of Friendship.
    This instant redemption leaves a mark on the magical girl, however, as the close brush with a more cynical worldview can taint her innocence. The magical girl must succeed on a will save DC 20 or lose innocence as described in Pure of Heart. The DC of this will save is increased by 4 each time this application of Illumination is used.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you haven't already thought of the moral problem:
    Instant redemption at risk of falling that is negated by a will save? Almost like the magical girl is deliberately trying to forget things. And a brush too close to mind control. =P

What? I like my inner cynic.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, haven't heard from the creator for awhile... I'll summerize an Archtype then...

Illumination Specialist: Alternate Illumination track/dedicated bonus slots for a group of Illuminations?

... hmm, trying to think of something but a template that turns you into a living Device of sorts, like the weapons of Soul Eater, or Fi from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword? Not sure of LA or perks with it...

... now that I think about it, I need to find a good picture of Soul, Fi, Tsubaki or the Thompson twins, or hell any combination of the four...
    Last edited by LoneMage210; 2011-11-18 at 10:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Magical girls are meant to be defensive you say?
    You don't have a shield. Forcefields and all that. How are you going to defend allies without one?
    This. Getting a giant spike driven through your chest and standing back up is a shonen thing; MGs usually dodge or use barriers.

Also, needs a PrC which puts vestiges in the MG's costumes (I'm thinking something that's to binder what ur-priest is to cleric).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-11-18 at 10:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

They do kinda both, but right now im looking at tweaking this a bit for my pathfinder game. Im thinking of making the motes per fight your level+cha mod. Also im working on some barrier illuminations but i cant think of how to stat them and balance them. Also i was thinking of finding a way to make a version that focuses more on blasting and range like Nanoha instead of fate.

And i had a second thought, what if you were to make an ability like second wind or thought of friends or something fluffy like that where the MG thinks friends in one of those montages of happy moments and then starts to kick ass again. Have it allow her to regain motes one per encounter.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2011-11-19 at 11:21 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Haven't heard from the creator of the class in awhile, not sure what to do myself...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

I dont want to make to many changes to the version im gonna use without at least getting permision, is it considered rude to pm him? Im bad enough at reality etiquette let alone forum etiquette.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

This thread needs more attention. I had my heart set on making an archer MG, but no it's melee only.

Also need more utility in Illuminations, etc etc etc.

There is so much promise to this idea. Where's the creator? :(
    There is a Hell, believe me I've seen it. There is a Heaven, let's keep it a secret.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure, i worked a little on some idea i had for the class, but i dont want to post anything without the express permission of the op.

26. - Top - End - #86

~Always look toward the brilliant light of hope. Revive!!~

The Power of Love Update!
    Part 1

So. Heya. Here I am again.

I did not intend to abandon this project. Stuff just... got in the way. Some of it good stuff, like holidays and things, some less good. Homebrew (and unfortunately, my PbPs in general), got pushed back by all manner of business, and I just couldn't find the time to keep up.

Now, I'm working to rectify that. Appropriately enough, on Valentines Day in some times zones shut up - because if anything would revive a magical girl, it'd be the Power of Love, and today is rather famous for having plenty of that to go around. So to celebrate, I'm going to drop something of a mega-update, staggered between the 14th and 15th. Overhauling some aspects of the base class itself, adding new options, and generally just throwing a bunch of digital confetti in the air.

Today, the main attractions are the tweaked Magical Girl and the two new Archetypes.

Of all the balance issues that seemed to crop up with the MG, one really seemed to shine in almost every assessment - she has no endurance. For what they can do, Illuminations burn out entirely too fast. That has been rectified, hopefully, in a fairly simple manner. Rather than individually re-balance every single illumination, I went straight to the source and gave magical girls in-combat mote regeneration (at the cost of starting combat with their mote pool only half full). Nothing fancy, but hopefully functional, and only a few illuminations needed serious re-balancing to compensate.

The archetypes address two glaring omissions. The Kofū Shōjo allows one to play something much closer to a 'classic' magical girl. She dodges, defends with barriers and shields rather than stubbornness and hot blood, and relies almost entirely on her powers and magical trinket as opposed to crudely beating an opponent with her device. The Spirit Shooter is, wonder of wonders, a ranged magical girl. Lacking in some of the resilience and melee options of the basic model, but making up for it with the ability to lay down some serious punishment from a distance.

Tomorrow, expect to see a couple of PrCs! Until then, I'd be thrilled to hear anyone's opinions on the new stuff or changes, and am happy to hear suggestions as I always am.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I'd suggest expanding Come Back! to additional effects, like miracle or wide-area blasts, at the cost of the user's life.

28. - Top - End - #88

I just want to say I'm really happy to see this project continue!

And I also like Selinia's avatar image...cute-giant-hammer with fashionable accessories.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Theres a typo in Device - Limit Form where it refers to it as a daily ability, and then seems to refer to it as an encounter/at-will ability.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been using this class.
    if you want to see a playtest, you can go here.
    I can try and answer any questions about my experince.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2012-02-16 at 10:04 AM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.