New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] HT's plots

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Ardrim guides him out and back downstairs. He has something to say in the way. "I hope you don't mind if we speak a while." It doesn't sound like a request. "You appear to care for my daughter a great deal." He looks at the wolfen expectantly.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider expected to be question, quite a bit sooner to be honest, so gives a slight nod. "I don't mind talking." He tells Renetta's father. "Yes, I do care for her, and her soon-to-be daughter. I've stayed by their side for months and haven't asked anything in return, or would dream of it." In other words, he's probably not going to be able to be paid a "reward" and made to leave.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

The elf nods in understanding. "I suspected as much. Then you should understand that you are going to have to leave her. She doesn't need you anymore, you'd only hold her back here. With that child, she has enough to contend with." There's little emotion in his tone.

Renetta undresses quickly and clothes herself in a fresh shift that was brought for her. Her old clothes are sent away with a servant. Lydia turns around after she's dressed and guides her to sit on the edge of the bed. Sure Renetta needs to sleep soon, but a little more talking will be alright.

"It's so good to have you home. Things can finally go back to how they were." She puts her arm around Renetta's shoulder. "You know, Calador hasn't married yet. I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear of your return."

Renetta blinks at her mother. "You're thinking of marrying me off now?"

"Of course not. I'm just letting you know. You were going to be married while you were gone, if you remember."

"But... what if I don't want to marry him." Her face does nothing to give away her thoughts.

"Why wouldn't you? He's handsome, wealthy, and very kind. You know. You've met him after all."

"Three times, mother. Three times in my whole life. I was only ten the first time."

"It was the same with your father and I, and look how well our marriage turned out. Besides, he's a very influential man."

Renetta shakes her head. "But... what if I want to marry someone I love?"

"Don't be silly. You will come to love him in time. It's how it always i-" Lydia stops, scrutinizing her daughter further. "You don't mean the- Waterstrider, do you? Renetta, dear, I'm sure he's perfectly nice, but he's still some manner of beast man, no matter how tame he is."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

"While I appreciate your hospitality in this matter, I'm sure you understand that I would rather hear this from her instead. Especially with the child involved." He says with a hint of well-controlled anger. "I am their guardian and companion, and have sworn to stay by her till things are over. Which happens only when she says so."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

"Renetta is still a child by all reasoning. I'm afraid it is my decision to make. She is my daughter." Ardrim says firmly. "You've brought her home, you've done well. Now you can go."

Renetta tears herself away from her mother and stands. "Tame? He's not some animal, Mother. He's a person. The most wonderful, amazing person I've ever met."

"Of course that's not what I meant, dear. I just mean that he really has no place here. You must know that. I'm sure he does as well."

Renetta opens and closes her mouth a couple times. "W-what does it matter anyway. You know Calador or anyone else will never marry me now that I'm having this baby."

"That is only a small issue. We'll just keep you here until the baby is born. Then you will be free of it."

"It?" Renetta looks horrified at her mother and takes a step away.

"I meant her of course, but it doesn't matter. Surely you don't want to keep the baby? The child of some brutish thug. We can find a nice family that will raise her and you can go on with your life."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider's had enough and growls. "A child?!?!" He nearly snarls. "She's been beaten, raped, enslaved, and has worked for months to recover, and you call her a child?" He spits out. "She's been through more than you could possibly understand, so start treating your daughter with the respect she deserves, <Honorless whelp.>" Waterstrider adds, cursing in Wolfen at the man.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Ardrim finally loses his calm facade. He scowls at the wolfen. "You will not presume to tell me how to treat my own child in my own house. I will call the guard and have you thrown out if you don't leave now."

"I'm keeping my baby, Mother." Renetta says, taking another step away.

Lydia rises from the bed, frowning at her daughter. "That child will ruin any status you have here. You'll never find a husband and you'll be a burden on your Father and I. Is that what you want?"

"No... Mother, please."

"Shh, shh dear." Lydia steps forward and wraps her arms around her daughter. "I shouldn't have dumped all this on you tonight. Get some rest and we'll talk more tomorrow."

Renetta doesn't even respond. She just lets Lydia guide her to her bed. Her mother leaves a moment later, taking Renetta's bag as she goes. A lock clicks, and then silence.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider narrows his eyes, fur raised in aggression, but he closes his eyes and after a moment, turns to go. "She's not your child any more." He growls as he heads out, feeling horrible and disheartened. I can't leave her like this.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Waterstrider's exit won't be interfered with. The front door now has a pair of armed guards who are kind enough to see him out. They keep an eye on him as long as he's on the property.

Outside it's just getting dark. It won't be long before it's full night. A few magic lights dot the area, but most of the light comes from the windows of the house. One such light springs into existence in the tree's trunk not far above, Due to the forward position of the tree on the house, it's just barely visible from the ground. Of course, more noticeable is the rattling of a window and a cry of frustration.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider looks up at the window, his ears falling back in sadness as he figures out that it is Renetta at the window. He heads back to the wagon and starts guiding it away, towards the nearest area where he isn't likely to be seen. Once there, he'll wait for dark to settle fully.

As he waits, he digs through his supplies and pulls out a length of cord and a small hatchet, using the former to lash the latter to the stump of his left wrist.

He wasn't going to leave Renetta alone for a single night here. He'd given his word and more for her, and no one would stop him.

After night falls completely, he'll sneak back towards the house, looking for a way to get to the tree without anyone seeing.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

He can potentially get to the tree without being seen. Approaching from the side or back of the hill the building is set into is the best rout he can see. Once at the building, there's a couple high points where if he jumps he can get his arms over the edge. It's not easy though.

If he can manage that without making too much noise, he'll be on top of the building. Unfortunately, for the same reason he could see the window from the ground, so will he be visible if he goes around to the front side of the tree, which is where the window is. As for the window itself, there is a branch he can step on below it and to the side, but the sill will be just out of his reach. Below, one guard paces slowly back and forth. He isn't specifically looking upward, but Waterstrider will have to be careful.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider will creep to the back of the house and try to get to the tree without being seen. If successful, he'll try to get his claws into the bark to get a good grip before doing the same with his clawed toes. He tries not to use the hatchet as it'd make a touch more sound. With a quiet growl of effort, he'll start climbing and hopefully reach the limb near the window, where he'll try to get Renetta's attention if she's still awake.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Seeing as he's managing to stay fairly quiet, the guard doesn't look up. Not just yet at least. Assuming he taps on the window, or something similar, Renetta will come to the window. Her face is streaked with tears and she definitely hasn't been sleeping.

Her eyes widen when she sees him. "Wat-" She glances back into the room, toward the door. "Waterstrider, how did you get up here?" The relief in her voice is obvious.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

"Can you open the window?"
    He asks quietly as he perches on the branch. He honestly tries not to look down, as he's spooked by being too high up, and after the sudden burst of anger and need to get to her, his more "reasonable" thought processes are kicking in.

Of course, he looks down and gives a cringe.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

"No, it's locked." The window is a large, shutter window that swings open outward. It doesn't look like anything that'd have a particularly heavy lock. Also, the sill is large enough that he could probably sit on the edge of it if he could pull himself up.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider climbs onto the window sill with a sigh, resting his head against the glass. "I-I'm sorry." He whimpers. This was the best he could do. If he broke open the window, the guards would hear and come running up to fight, and he couldn't do that in front of Renetta.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta leans against the edge of the window, looking drained. "I didn't think it would be like this... I don't know what I was expecting, but nothing like this." She places her hand on the glass.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

The Wolfen rests his head against the window where her hand is and gives a deep sigh. "The guards will see me soon if I can't get inside." He tells her. "When that happens, I'll stay as long as I can, but Renetta, I want you to know...I....I..." He doesn't continue and just sets his good paw on the window too, knowing that she'll be able to finish what he was saying.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta puts her hand on the window opposite his. She moves so she's looking into his eyes, her other hand touching the glass. If only she cold reach through to caress his face.

"I love you too."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider's ears fall, and he rests his forehead against the window for a few minutes, wishing he were closer to her. After a while though, a risky idea comes to him, and he slips his claw under the lashing keeping the hatchet to the stump of his wrist. Once its free, he throws it well away. Maybe with any luck, the guard would hear it and go check it out.

If he's unlucky, the guard will look straight up and see him.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

The guard whirls around when the axe hits the ground. Thankfully, he doesn't notice the wolfen above. He slowly creeps toward where the hatchet landed, sword drawn.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider holds still until the guard is what he judges to be a safe distance away. He puts one shoulder to one half of the window and begins to pry at the seam where the two windows meet with his claws, trying to dig them in to get a grip. If he's able to do so, he'll gently begin to try and apply leverage, hoping that the bolt lock pops out with only a little noise.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta takes a step away from the window to let him work. The window creaks and groans a bit, but a moment later the lock gives under the pressure. The guard on the ground hasn't noticed yet, nor has he found the hatchet. It's only matter of time, however.

The elf looks worriedly toward the door to her room. She knows there must be a guard, but it looks like there isn't one immediately outside the room.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider will climb through the now open window, shutting it behind him to make it look like nothing happened, and instantly pulls Renetta into his embrace, nuzzling against her neck.. He couldn't care less about a guard stationed outside her room, especially since he didn't plan that far ahead.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta holds him tight, fresh tears rolling down her cheeks. She forgets the world outside his embrace for the time being.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider will gently pick her up and take her to the bed, tucking her in before climbing in beside her. "No matter what the morning brings, for now, its just us, okay?" He whispers to her. He knows the hatchet would be found, and that more than likely guards will be called. He didn't know what else would happen, but they'd take it as it came. "I won't leave you again, I promise."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta wraps her arms around Waterstrider, and buries her face in his shoulder. "Just us." She agrees. She doesn't care what her parents say. Tomorrow she was leaving this place with Waterstrider.

Meanwhile, outside, the guard has found the hatchet. He surveys the area. Seeing nothing he reports back at the house. Soon he's sent back out along with another two guards.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Mother Soon's Journey

A carriage that should be familiar to the guards drives up to the house, and the occupant of the carriage waits for the servants to open the door before he gets out.

Gamaliel of the house of Oronar does not knock on doors.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Samuel answers the door. "M'lord. Shall I fetch Lord Ardrim?" And of course that's what he's here for, so the servant goes to do just that. Not long later, both Ardrim and Lydia arrive.

"Gamaliel. This is unexpected. Is this just a visit, or do we have some business?" Ardrim says.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-11-26 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Gamaliel leans heavily on a walking stick, due to an old childhood injury to a tendon in his leg. Samuel, of course, helps him into his chair and brings the footstool for his leg, and then fetches him a glass of his favourite wine.

All the while, the elf waits for his younger brother to tell him the good news, which he had already heard through the grapevine. So when Ardrim says what he does, he's completely baffled.

Maybe it wasn't true?

"I was told that Rettie was seen in the village, alive, and escorted by a Wolfen." Gamaliel says. "Please tell me it's true." His imperious tone cracks a little with the last bit. He really had grieved for his niece when she was believed dead.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs