New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Choose one TV show. Choose wisely.

A wizard appears and waves a magic wand over you and says, “I’m going to transport you into the reality of one of your fictional TV shows. You must choose one to live in and you must deal that that choice for the rest of your life.”

What fictional TV show reality would you choose to live in and why?

EXAMPLE: If you choose Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you could end up becoming a vampire and then killed by Buffy. Or any other worse fate that has happened in that TV show. There is also the chance that you might live out a normal life in that fictional universe.

CLARIFICATIONS: When you are transported into that universe, you are still yourself. If you chose to live in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, then you are still a human. You are yourself with all your natural abilities and knowledge, but you now live in that fictional TV universe.
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2012-11-21 at 03:22 PM.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Choose one TV show. Choose wisely.

Ugh, so no powers if I live in a universe with powers? Like, if I live in the naruto-verse I wont be a ninja or even able to become one with training? Damn, that ruins a lot of choices. I think I will go with Star Trek. Probably TNG. A lot of the other ones had fairly big problems like maquis rebellions, dominion armadas, etc etc etc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3

Right. So, I want the most utopic world possible. Preferably something with easly attainable immortality, and post-scarcity. Star Trek is tempting, but there has to be something better.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Firefly, naturally. It means I have a shot at meeting Kaylee.

(On the other hand...Reavers...)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ugh, so no powers if I live in a universe with powers? Like, if I live in the naruto-verse I wont be a ninja or even able to become one with training? Damn, that ruins a lot of choices. I think I will go with Star Trek. Probably TNG. A lot of the other ones had fairly big problems like maquis rebellions, dominion armadas, etc etc etc.
    You are yourself. There is always the chance you can become more than yourself. If you lived in Naruto, then you could train to become a Ninja (although I think most of us are too lazy to become a ninja). If you lived in Supernatural, then you could become a Werewolf (or any of the other nasty creatures).

Personally, I'm looking at Leave it to Beaver. Why? Nice neighborhood. No deaths. No alien attacks. No monsters. Worst injuries are things like skinned knees. I haven't decided though.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

.... yea, there really aren't lots of tv shows of the types of utopias I'd want to live in. Literary stuff, sure... less so TV shows...

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    .... yea, there really aren't lots of tv shows of the types of utopias I'd want to live in. Literary stuff, sure... less so TV shows...
    Unfortunatly, this Wizard can only tranport you to a TV show. No movies, no books, no comics, no graphic novels, and no commercials.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

A quick tvtropes search says I might want to live in Time Squad. At least on the planet below and can entirely ignore what is going on in the actual show...

Hmmm. yea, this is a difficult question.

There were a few episodes of Sliders that were relatively utopia-like; I wouldn't mind living in those places, but I don't really know if their multiverse got screwed as the series went on or not (I stopped watching it...)
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-21 at 03:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Does it have to be a fictional TV show?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    A quick tvtropes search says I might want to live in Time Squad. At least on the planet below and can entirely ignore what is going on in the actual show...

Hmmm. yea, this is a difficult question.

There were a few episodes of Sliders that were relatively utopia-like; I wouldn't mind living in those places, but I don't really know if their multiverse got screwed as the series went on or not (I stopped watching it...)
    I had to look up on Wikipedia to see what Time Squad was. That's a pretty good answer. One thing that puzzles me is that, "bacon is good for your heart". Makes me wonder if they genetically altered pigs so that bacon is better for you, or if they genetically altered humans so that bacon is good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Does it have to be a fictional TV show?
    Yes. You cannot live in a TV show that is non-fiction. No documentaries, no news, and absolutly no reality TV shows(no matter how much someone says they are "staged"). You can pick something that is close to reality but still fictional, like The Gilmore Girls or One Tree Hill.
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2012-11-21 at 03:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Star Trek: TNG
    Trade my knowledge of 20th and 21st century history to historians for holodeck time.
    Use holodeck to live in any one of those different universes each day.
    Last edited by Debbie_D; 2012-11-21 at 03:50 PM.
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The only correct answer is Pokemon.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    Would you become a Pokemon trainer? Has anyone ever died in that TV show?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    Has anyone ever died in that TV show?
    Well Ash died in the first movie, but he got better (and taught us all a valuable lesson).
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-21 at 03:57 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Well Ash died in the first movie, but he got better (and taught us all a valuable lesson).
    I think most cartoon shows are the way to go. In The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Pokemon, death seems to be rare. Also, no one ages in that reality. Technically, if you can avoid dying, then you would live forever.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Being just me does limit things somewhat. I'd like to live in the world of Babylon 5, for example, but since I'm just me I'd probably end up in one of the tent villages in Downbelow, since I doubt any of my skills would be transferrable to 23rd century technology! The chances of becoming the Doctor's companion is so low that there's no point choosing the Whoniverse, either. Almost all of humanity is dead in BSG...this is a darned tricky choice, all told!

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The chances of becoming the Doctor's companion is so low that there's no point choosing the Whoniverse, either.
    I love Doctor Who, but I would never choose to live in that reality. 1. It's very dangerous as the Earth is attacked frequently by aliens. 2. Even if I became the Doctors' companion, it probably wouldn't end well for me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    It took until post #12 for this response? For shame, Playground.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #19

Kobold

Pokemon isn't that bad, for a post apocalyptic dystopia where hundreds of thousands of adult males died in a major world war, and the kids roam around with no adult supervision, enslaving sentient wild creatures to make them compete in blood sports for glory, and most of the organized rule of law comes from organized crime, or at best, self-contained city-states, with no infrastructure linking them...
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-21 at 04:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Is there geographic proximity to the show's main characters or are you anywhere in the world? For example, if I were to pick Seinfeld, would I end up in the Upper West Side in 1995? Or would I end up in a random place in 1995?

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Is there geographic proximity to the show's main characters or are you anywhere in the world? For example, if I were to pick Seinfeld, would I end up in the Upper West Side in 1995? Or would I end up in a random place in 1995?
    I'm thinking that if you picked Seinfeld, then you would be in your own house in 1995. You are not the main character or even a guest on the TV show. You just live in that reality. Seinfeld is another good example of a fictional TV show that is based on real life. Also, it's as safe a choice as living in the real world.
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2012-11-21 at 04:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

What fictional TV show reality would you choose to live in and why?
    mmm... are sitcom an available choice? not so much different from reality, but bad stuffs don't happen, and you can meet some really funny people...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking that if you picked Seinfeld, then you would be in your own house in 1995.
    So... time travel then?

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    mmm... are sitcom an available choice? not so much different from reality, but bad stuffs don't happen, and you can meet some really funny people...
    Yes. As long as it's a fictional TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    So... time travel then?
    Yep. If you choose an older TV show, you would be living in the past. So if you picked the **** Van Dyke show, you would be teleported to the 50's and have to live out the rest of your days in that reality. As long as the show is set in a different time period, then you would live in that time period. Anything from The Flinstones to Time Squad.

Edit: Er, we can't use the **** Van Dyke show as an example?
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2012-11-21 at 04:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Pokemon is only safe if we're talking the video games. Catching Pokemon is something any 10-year old is allowed to do. Free, unlimited health care for the Pokemon (and therefore probably humans as well), and the world is mostly harmless despite a good number of the population carrying around dragons for protection.

Star Trek is a good choice, but only if I can stay on Earth with a replicator and a holodeck. Most of the really bad stuff only affects the Enterprise and outlying colonies. I'll stay on Earth thanks.

I think those are the only two real choices, and in a pinch I can program the holodeck to be a fully immersive Pokemon game.

Every other universe has too many things that can kill you for too little reward.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

http://jiggmin.com/threads/58477-Pok...iracy-Theories

So, uh... how many of those are we saying is true?

27. - Top - End - #27

I WOULD say pokemon, but im not entirely sure how the heck that world works. I mean, we never hear any mention of ash winning money from his battles, so we dont know how he gets supplies. But mostly we see him camping out in the woods, so it may be more of a hunter/gatherer method of survival, which makes me wonder how many pokemon he catches, and how many he kills and eats. "Pikachu, I dont want to devour your flesh, but if you dont stop disobeying me, you will become tonights stew!"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Pokemon is only safe if we're talking the video games. Catching Pokemon is something any 10-year old is allowed to do. Free, unlimited health care for the Pokemon (and therefore probably humans as well), and the world is mostly harmless despite a good number of the population carrying around dragons for protection.

Star Trek is a good choice, but only if I can stay on Earth with a replicator and a holodeck. Most of the really bad stuff only affects the Enterprise and outlying colonies. I'll stay on Earth thanks.

I think those are the only two real choices, and in a pinch I can program the holodeck to be a fully immersive Pokemon game.

Every other universe has too many things that can kill you for too little reward.
    I think you would pretty much half to stay on Earth. Unless you decided to join Starfleet Academy. Then you'd spend the next 4-8 years learing to do something on board a Starfleet Vessel.

I agree on the Star Trek Universe. I would also probably stay on Earth. Since there's no poverty, I can pretty much do what I want. I'd probably be a Holo-writer and spend most of my time in the Holodeck myself.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

God, the Whoverse doesn't really end well for anyone, does it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Poor Donna.

I think the Farscape universe would be fun. Not safe, not happy and sure as hell not easy, but fun. I have a soft spot for the D&D cartoon, and wouldn't mind being in that universe (though, again, lots to kill you, but safe is no fun!)

30. - Top - End - #30

I think you would pretty much half to stay on Earth. Unless you decided to join Starfleet Academy. Then you'd spend the next 4-8 years learing to do something on board a Starfleet Vessel.

I agree on the Star Trek Universe. I would also probably stay on Earth. Since there's no poverty, I can pretty much do what I want. I'd probably be a Holo-writer and spend most of my time in the Holodeck myself.
    Hmm, depending on how good their historical records are, you could make a HUGE killing by sneaking your personal library along for the ride, then releasing it as if you were some amazing author. Heh, I remember reading a fanfic crossover where characters from the buffy verse wound up in star trek and tried to sell some stephen king novels. Turned out stephen king is a freaking legend there. The only copies of his books known to exist all had the last chapters torn out of them, leading to huge groups that sit around trying to guess how they would have ended. It set off a running phaser fight as people tried to steal them, and riker went into a near nervous breakdown when he heard the books got destroyed.