Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 445
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    sherbrooke, quebec, canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Seeing as he just shot a guy who had just saved his life to survive (the need to save Carl is a mitigating factor tough) I think him leaving the group and/or dying is very possible, especially since Daryll is taking his place as Rick's second in command. BTW, am I the only one who thinks Daryll is the best redneck ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    The Internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    just saw ep. 3, and all I can say is, man who ever is writing Shane is one cold hearted cynical bastard. I hope they keep it up.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    While I knew something bad had happened when Shane showed up alone, I didnt think he'd pull a stunt like that! They could have made it out together, he was just being a bastard about it. He hope they end him painfully lol.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rome
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Thats the thing tho; they definitely would have died no doubt about it, if shane hadnt done it. It was necessary for survival. It was cold and hard, and beyond borderline f-ed up, but it was necessary. Like I said, the guy who wrote that is one cynical sob.
    Last edited by Caesar; 2011-10-31 at 05:34 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phase's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    I didn't really see it as a given that they'd be overtaken. I mean, maybe I missed something, but going alone on a sprained ankle is gonna be a lot slower. Slow enough, perhaps, that the head start given by feeding the zombies would barely even break even. This was just a **** move.

    I could see it as a viable option for someone to take, but like Jack said, he didn't even have the decency to shoot him in the head. No one who leaves another human being to be eaten alive by the undead has any equatable redeeming factors in that scenario. His comeuppance had better be painful.
    Blogging is beneath me.

    Hence it's here in my sig.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Candle Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kirkwall

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vonotar View Post
    But then he wouldn't have been screaming and attracting attention, sadly.
    The zombies are opportunists. Hell, they'll eat their own if they're helpless, as evidenced by that hanging zombie. (Dumbass.)

    I don't think it would matter how much the meat was squirming, so long as it was fresh.
    Last edited by Candle Jack; 2011-11-03 at 02:10 PM.
    "Justice is a blade that draws blood from the innocent and wicked alike. And raised high, it can lead a charge that changes the world forever."

    This avatar of Anders from Dragon Age 2 was provided by Dorian Soth. I didn't do it.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    The directing was bad in that scene. Basically it should have been made obvious that they both couldnt get back alive. However the way it was filmed it looked like if shane hadnt killed otis they could have both made it back to the car with time to spare. The car wasnt far away and the zombies were too far back to be a problem. The fight scene where he was taking the backpack off took ages. Realistically the zombies should have made it too them both before he could get the back pack.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

    Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ThreadKiller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Dang...for a moment, I thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    they were going to kill off Daryl. First, he gets impaled by his own cross bolt and has to pull it out while fighting off two zombies. I thought he was a goner when Andrea used a gun scope to aim at his head. I would have been pissed, since he's currently my favorite character.

    ...And the barn is full of zombies. I guess I should have seen it coming, since the there was that zombie in the water well. I don't condone normally violence, but I think it would be better to put those poor people out of their misery instead of letting them continue their existence as zombies. Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear Hershel's justification for keeping the zombies.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Candle Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kirkwall

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    If the series stays faithful to the comics on this plot point and it seems like it's going to Hershel has already given his justification for imprisoning the walkers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    He believes that a cure for the zombie virus will be found and is keeping those people "alive" so they can be saved.

    Unfortunately, his good intentions are going to cost him dearly.
    Last edited by Candle Jack; 2011-11-15 at 12:45 AM.
    "Justice is a blade that draws blood from the innocent and wicked alike. And raised high, it can lead a charge that changes the world forever."

    This avatar of Anders from Dragon Age 2 was provided by Dorian Soth. I didn't do it.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fawkes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreadKiller View Post
    Dang...for a moment, I thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    they were going to kill off Daryl. First, he gets impaled by his own cross bolt and has to pull it out while fighting off two zombies. I thought he was a goner when Andrea used a gun scope to aim at his head. I would have been pissed, since he's currently my favorite character.
    I hear ya.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was kind of a cop-out to have that tense scene building up to him being shot in the head, only to come back after commercial with "Oh no, he's fine, you only grazed him", but on the other hand, Daryl is the best and I want him to live forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No, you can't advertise your rape how-to guide on my website.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I hear ya.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was kind of a cop-out to have that tense scene building up to him being shot in the head, only to come back after commercial with "Oh no, he's fine, you only grazed him", but on the other hand, Daryl is the best and I want him to live forever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, it was quite unlikely that Andrea would have made that shot, it's not like she's had a lot of practice with this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Frankly, a Wizard can suck even more than a Fighter could ever dream of sucking. A Fighter can stab himself to death, but only a Wizard could Plane Shift to some horrible far realm to be tortured for an eternity of insanity.


  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Krazzman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Aachen, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Want the comics? google avaxhome.ws

    I've got a problem with the comic...the prison arc... can't stand the rape thing...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

    Currently Playing:
    Drako:[3.5] Human Warblade 3/Fighter 2(Hiatus)
    Desmond:[3.5] Human Cleric of Tymora 3/Warlock 1(Hiatus)
    Nikolas:[PF] Human Sage Sorcerer 11(Hiatus)
    Tokias:[PF] Tiefling Heretic Lamashtu Inquisitor 3
    "Ed"uardo:[3.5] Azurin Totemist 4(Hiatus)
    Garm Frost:[SWSE] Human Scout1/Jedi1

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Watching it, and enjoying it. The latest episode was a bit slow, but it had some nice character moments.

    I'm not seeing a lot of stupidity in the show, a few of the character's aren't very smart, sure, but they're offset (and outnumbered) by the more capable characters.
    Spoilers of stupidity below from season 2:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Oh look, a zombie in a well. Well, obviously, we'll just dangle one of our people on a rope down to him as "bait". We won't actually discuss our options, we'll just do that since it's so clearly brilliant. We won't even bother to discuss why we're baiting him, since he very clearly isn't going anywhere. Oh, we also won't bother to check the strength of ANYTHING we use for this plan, or consider how to actually get the zombie out.

    Oh look, vehicles. We are going to comment on how it's clearly dangerous, then scatter like we're at the mall. No, nobody should go with the kids, they're clearly fine on their own in a dangerous situation in a zombie wasteland. Scouting is obviously a waste of time, even if you have things like a motorcycle.

    Oh hey, everyone in the entire *censored* world has told me not to take the shot. My buddies went out to the target. They have lowered their guns and are talking with him. Looks like it's time to blast him!

    Despite people dying from doing this all the damned time, we're going to keep wandering off in the woods by ourselves.

    Also, children should always be part of scouting teams, etc. Especially if they beg you. Being eaten by zombies would probably make a good bonding experience.

    The amount of time Shane spent killing Otis and getting his stuff, they both could have easily made it out. This kinda makes the whole thing pointless.

    Also, sending the fat guy on a dangerous mission is probably not a great call.

    Everyone acts like the asian kid, one of the few reliably competent people, doesn't exist at all until they need someone to loot for them. It's just...mind boggling. He doesn't even get mentioned in places where they're determining who does what.

    Their new host doesn't bother to tell them to avoid the barn. He's quite cool with imposing rules, but doesn't bother to hide what is incessantly foreshadowed as his secret.


    Back in first season:

    Oh look, zombies follow noise! I'll use this very loud car to make them all follow me to get out of scrapes. Then, without disabling the noise, I'm going to gleefully drive back to our camp. EVERYONE will promptly forget that the zombies follow this exact source of noise.

    Our camp will not bother with walls, guards for any time when drama is happening, lights, fences, or anything tougher than a nylon tent.

    Oh look, zombies all around me. I'll just ignore them, and go further into the city. The city with a million frigging danger signs outside it indicating everyone is dead. Clearly, an ever increasing number of zombies does NOT mean I should go back. Or deal with them. No, ignoring them is clearly a win.

    Nobody bothers to take even the slightest precautions to avoid infection. Even ignoring that they don't know the whole zombie thing(which should result in MORE paranoia and caution) for most of the season, any normal person interacting with dead bodies should normally attempt to avoid having blood say, all over his face. If it happens, at least make an effort to wipe it off. I'm not asking for gas masks and chem suits, just a little basic sanitation and hygiene.

    Women are incompetent when facing zombies. All of them turn into gender stereotyped helpless wrecks. This grates on me, especially compared to the comics. I'd like the women to be at least equally rational with the men, as opposed to being controlled entirely by emotions.

    Nobody ever thinks of, or even discusses, possible solutions to zombies. I don't require that these be good ideas...but it'd be nice to see them say, at least discuss the possibility of a fence, and shoot it down for lack of materials or something.

    Also, they didn't learn the "Don't split the party" rule in the first season either. Note that MONTHS have elapsed, and they are still wandering off by themselves.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Why are we spoilering everything? The warning of spoilers is in the title thread.

    But just because everyone else is putting in spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    It made no sense that none of the zombies would wander onto their property. My first thought was thats where they put all the zombies that did wander in.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-11-16 at 04:40 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    *Snip*
    Not going to go into everything because that take to freaking long, but I'll hit some key points you're wrong about. First, Herschel does tell them to avoid the barn when Rick brings up them potentially moving in there. Second, Shane and Otis would not have gotten away, the walkers would have simply kept following them and eventually caught up, Shane and Otis were not gaining ground there. Killing Otis worked because it distracted them long enough for Shane to be nowhere nearby when they were done. As for your complaint about sending the fat guy, who should have gone with Shane? Herschel? No, he needed to stay. Rick? No, as Shane explained in that episode. Otis's wife or Herschel's daughter? They might have been able to help Shane find the stuff they need, and Herschel's daughter may even be a decent shot, but that's several maybes to deal with, and neither of them were volunteering out of guilt anyway. Third, this isn't the time for the kids to be useless, Carl's old enough to learn some responsibility and contribute. No they shouldn't try sending him off to scout solo like Daryl does, but he can at least go along with some of the others.

    To go back to season one, they did in fact bring up the whole "car making a lot of noise" thing when Glenn brought it in and they do get the alarm shut off. And they do discuss solutions to the Walkers, it's just mainly getting to somewhere else that has resources and is safer.

    @Silverraptor
    They've got a fence around the property that seems to do a decent job of keeping the walkers out.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-11-17 at 01:10 AM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    @Silverraptor
    They've got a fence around the property that seems to do a decent job of keeping the walkers out.
    Is that how its keeping them out? To me, it sounded like the walkers convinetly "Missed" them since all the neighbors decided to get up and start walking too.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Not going to go into everything because that take to freaking long, but I'll hit some key points you're wrong about. First, Herschel does tell them to avoid the barn when Rick brings up them potentially moving in there.
    He doesn't say to avoid the barn. He says he doesn't want them getting comfortable because he doesn't want it to be a permanent arrangement.

    Second, Shane and Otis would not have gotten away, the walkers would have simply kept following them and eventually caught up, Shane and Otis were not gaining ground there. Killing Otis worked because it distracted them long enough for Shane to be nowhere nearby when they were done.
    First off, they should have considered a plan to get away before, yknow, going in. It would have been understandable if the injury made the plan impossible, but not having a plan at all? Just plain foolish. And what, did they walk there from the farm? Vehicles and horses have been used for every other notable transit. There's no reason to expect they would have to walk all the way back.

    As for your complaint about sending the fat guy, who should have gone with Shane? Herschel? No, he needed to stay. Rick? No, as Shane explained in that episode. Otis's wife or Herschel's daughter? They might have been able to help Shane find the stuff they need, and Herschel's daughter may even be a decent shot, but that's several maybes to deal with, and neither of them were volunteering out of guilt anyway.
    Glenn, the guy that, again, always gets forgotten? He's actually competent at getting in and looting things, and routinely agrees to do it.

    Third, this isn't the time for the kids to be useless, Carl's old enough to learn some responsibility and contribute. No they shouldn't try sending him off to scout solo like Daryl does, but he can at least go along with some of the others.
    No, it's IS a time for the kids to be protected. Kids getting eaten is far, far worse than kids being useless. You have them do camp stuff. The idea of keeping the women protected back at camp, but taking the young kids out with you is silly.

    To go back to season one, they did in fact bring up the whole "car making a lot of noise" thing when Glenn brought it in and they do get the alarm shut off. And they do discuss solutions to the Walkers, it's just mainly getting to somewhere else that has resources and is safer.
    But despite the realization of all these things, they never put them together and realize that this is bringing walkers here, and they should do something about THAT. They certainly never bother to take any precautions to keep walkers out of their camp. That's a rather glaring oversight.

    @Silverraptor
    They've got a fence around the property that seems to do a decent job of keeping the walkers out.
    Even so, the fence isn't that high. A person can get over it. The foreshadowing was pretty heavy on that. I admit I saw it coming mainly because of the comic(and actually, the whole "lock em in the barn in case of a cure" is a reasonable thing given the lack of knowledge about how it works), but it would be entirely reasonable for the main group to wonder about how zombies have been handled. Especially after the incident with one in the well demonstrated to them that the fences were not that effective after all.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    He doesn't say to avoid the barn. He says he doesn't want them getting comfortable because he doesn't want it to be a permanent arrangement.
    Alright then, still, the fact that this made them set up away from the house and the barn accomplishes the same goal. Glenn has no problem sneaking around with Herschel's daughter, an explict statement about the barn wouldn't have deterred him (unless there was a threat of danger, which would just raise more questions about the barn).

    First off, they should have considered a plan to get away before, yknow, going in. It would have been understandable if the injury made the plan impossible, but not having a plan at all? Just plain foolish. And what, did they walk there from the farm? Vehicles and horses have been used for every other notable transit. There's no reason to expect they would have to walk all the way back.
    Seemed like their plan was to get in and out while the Walkers were distracted by the flare, they just couldn't move fast enough. They did drive from the farm, at the end they were trying to get far enough away to lose the Walkers and double back to the vehicle.

    Glenn, the guy that, again, always gets forgotten? He's actually competent at getting in and looting things, and routinely agrees to do it.
    And where was Glenn when Shane was heading out? He was out with the rest of the group and thus not available. It's also likely he wouldn't know any more about the equipment they were getting than Shane did.

    No, it's IS a time for the kids to be protected. Kids getting eaten is far, far worse than kids being useless. You have them do camp stuff. The idea of keeping the women protected back at camp, but taking the young kids out with you is silly.
    He's still old enough to go help, in the comics he's even learned to handle a gun by this point (and it seems like that'll be happening in the show soon).

    But despite the realization of all these things, they never put them together and realize that this is bringing walkers here, and they should do something about THAT. They certainly never bother to take any precautions to keep walkers out of their camp. That's a rather glaring oversight.
    There's little to indicate that the vehicles brought the Walkers to the camp, they only had them on when they arrive/leave. They did keep watch at the camp for the walkers.

    Even so, the fence isn't that high. A person can get over it. The foreshadowing was pretty heavy on that. I admit I saw it coming mainly because of the comic(and actually, the whole "lock em in the barn in case of a cure" is a reasonable thing given the lack of knowledge about how it works), but it would be entirely reasonable for the main group to wonder about how zombies have been handled. Especially after the incident with one in the well demonstrated to them that the fences were not that effective after all.
    Why would a walker try to get over it unless they're chasing someone? If/when a mass of walkers gets set on a path directly towards the fence, they're going to push over over it sure, but a random wandering walker should just hit the fence and try to go with the path of least resistence, around it.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-11-17 at 12:15 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Alright then, still, the fact that this made them set up away from the house and the barn accomplishes the same goal. Glenn has no problem sneaking around with Herschel's daughter, an explict statement about the barn wouldn't have deterred him (unless there was a threat of danger, which would just raise more questions about the barn).
    How so? He isn't particularily drawn to danger, and the group has at least tried to obey the other rules Herschel laid down. I feel like "don't go in the barn, I have fragile stuff in there" or whatever would be taken with far less resistance than "no guns, I don't like em". And they went along with that.

    Seemed like their plan was to get in and out while the Walkers were distracted by the flare, they just couldn't move fast enough. They did drive from the farm, at the end they were trying to get far enough away to lose the Walkers and double back to the vehicle.
    Flares, plural. Which they used in advance, simultaneously, in the same area, while keeping none back? Clearly, even this implied plan is obviously sketchy.

    And where was Glenn when Shane was heading out? He was out with the rest of the group and thus not available. It's also likely he wouldn't know any more about the equipment they were getting than Shane did.
    It's not really addressed where he is. He doesn't seem to play any active part in the searching.

    Speaking of the searching, I love that Rick goes off about how dammit, he needs to stay behind and search for the missing girl. Then, instead, he chills in the church and talks to the statue jesus instead. Good work there, buddy.

    He's still old enough to go help, in the comics he's even learned to handle a gun by this point (and it seems like that'll be happening in the show soon).
    It is not conventionally considered appropriate to have fairly young children on their own for extended periods of time. Addition of zombies and firearms to the situation does not make this assessment safer. Young children are also not noted for their capability in scouting or combat scenarios. This does not seem like an appropriate starting point for helping.

    Note that the severe accident/death rate for kids in the group has managed to hit 100%, indicating that this logic is pretty sound.

    There's little to indicate that the vehicles brought the Walkers to the camp, they only had them on when they arrive/leave. They did keep watch at the camp for the walkers.
    Some of the time. With one guy at a time, who promptly stops paying attention whenever anything dramatic is happening. Also, people routinely wander off into the woods and such by themselves. Also, the woods are right next to camp, so it's not like the watcher can do that much good, especially at night. It's not like they lit it up or anything.

    This all adds up to "essentially no defense against zombies, at your long term camp, in a zombie apocalypse" That's a sufficiently poor plan that nobody on this forum would come up with it even in a casual "what if" zombie discussion.

    Why would a walker try to get over it unless they're chasing someone? If/when a mass of walkers gets set on a path directly towards the fence, they're going to push over over it sure, but a random wandering walker should just hit the fence and try to go with the path of least resistence, around it.
    Or something. Animals exist too. The point is, a zombie DID get over the fence. At that point, you HAVE to realize that they can get over it, and should behave appropriately.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Post Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    How so? He isn't particularily drawn to danger, and the group has at least tried to obey the other rules Herschel laid down. I feel like "don't go in the barn, I have fragile stuff in there" or whatever would be taken with far less resistance than "no guns, I don't like em". And they went along with that.
    Rick went along with that and forced the others to as well. I don't think Glenn would expect Rick to find out about his little tryst.

    Flares, plural. Which they used in advance, simultaneously, in the same area, while keeping none back? Clearly, even this implied plan is obviously sketchy.
    *Shrugs* They needed to make sure they made a big enough show to get and keep all the walkers' attention.

    It's not really addressed where he is. He doesn't seem to play any active part in the searching.
    Shane leaves before Herschel's daughter returns with Lori. Glenn is there when Herschel's daughter finds Lori. Thus, Glenn is not around to go with Shane, even if he would have been able to help.

    Speaking of the searching, I love that Rick goes off about how dammit, he needs to stay behind and search for the missing girl. Then, instead, he chills in the church and talks to the statue jesus instead. Good work there, buddy.
    So a character having a religious moment is being stupid and wasting time now. Great...

    It is not conventionally considered appropriate to have fairly young children on their own for extended periods of time. Addition of zombies and firearms to the situation does not make this assessment safer. Young children are also not noted for their capability in scouting or combat scenarios. This does not seem like an appropriate starting point for helping.
    When was Carl searching for Sofia on his own? He was with Shane and Rick.

    Some of the time. With one guy at a time, who promptly stops paying attention whenever anything dramatic is happening. Also, people routinely wander off into the woods and such by themselves. Also, the woods are right next to camp, so it's not like the watcher can do that much good, especially at night. It's not like they lit it up or anything.
    Which is smart, because light would have just attracted walkers. Not a lot they could have done about that.

    This all adds up to "essentially no defense against zombies, at your long term camp, in a zombie apocalypse" That's a sufficiently poor plan that nobody on this forum would come up with it even in a casual "what if" zombie discussion.
    Again, not a lot they could do about it.

    Or something. Animals exist too. The point is, a zombie DID get over the fence. At that point, you HAVE to realize that they can get over it, and should behave appropriately.
    Like by keeping watch like they do?
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-11-17 at 12:43 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Rick went along with that and forced the others to as well. I don't think Glenn would expect Rick to find out about his little tryst.
    So, you agree the situations are different.

    *Shrugs* They needed to make sure they made a big enough show to get and keep all the walkers' attention.
    Clearly, they're going very light on the planning.

    Shane leaves before Herschel's daughter returns with Lori. Glenn is there when Herschel's daughter finds Lori. Thus, Glenn is not around to go with Shane, even if he would have been able to help.
    I don't recall Glenn being with Lori at all while they searched. In theory, he might be at the camper...but he manages to be terribly absent from all those scenes as well.

    Even if so, why would you leave your quick, competent scout/looter back at base when you are scouting, and take your young kid instead?

    So a character having a religious moment is being stupid and wasting time now. Great...
    Religious moments are fine and dandy. He has plenty in the comics. However, in the comics, he does this in downtime. Not when he just insisted they needed to split the group up because he really, really needed to do *something else*.

    When was Carl searching for Sofia on his own? He was with Shane and Rick.
    He was not sent off alone explicitly then. He has been alone numerous times throughout the series, and, for example, when they stopped at the roadblock, he's off happily looting corpses on his own. The danger is fairly obvious.

    Which is smart, because light would have just attracted walkers. Not a lot they could have done about that.
    The could have made a fence. Or not gone off into the woods solo when zombies are around.

    Again, not a lot they could do about it.
    But they KNOW zombies exist everywhere. They know the rules by this point. They damned well SHOULD be trying to avoid them, and/or harden wherever they are. It doesn't have to work, but there's a reason people in most zombie movies board up doors and windows and the like.

    In fact, in the comic this show is based on, they DO take such basic precautions.

    Like by keeping watch like they do?
    Like by checking the area during daylight for wandering zombies in groups. That would be reasonable. Not wandering off alone into the darkness to take a pregnancy test would be reasonable. Checking the fence to see how he got in would be reasonable.

    They do nothing. Nothing at all to address the "huh, it looks like zombies are getting in here." The irregular watch-keeping has been shown to be insufficient time and again by this point, but they do nothing different.

    Additional discrepancies from the last episode. All before the credits stopped rolling.

    They're hanging up dry clothes on the clothesline. This is ridiculous.

    You watch a flashback of Atlanta being napalmed. Massive, billowing fire everywhere above the skyline. The chars call it out as being napalm, etc, so there is no possibility of a mistake. Apparently the authors just entirely forgot that they set most of the first season in Atlanta, which was NOT burned to the ground.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    So, you agree the situations are different.
    Yes, in one Rick keeps them following Herschel's request, in the other, Rick wouldn't be able to, so an explict warning to stay out of the barn would do no good.

    Clearly, they're going very light on the planning.
    They have to make do with what they've got.

    I don't recall Glenn being with Lori at all while they searched. In theory, he might be at the camper...but he manages to be terribly absent from all those scenes as well.
    Then you remember wrong. He was quite impressed when Herschel's daughter rode in and smashed the walker attacking Andrea and even brought it up when they talked later.

    Even if so, why would you leave your quick, competent scout/looter back at base when you are scouting, and take your young kid instead?
    Easy answer, they didn't. Only T-dog and Dale stayed with the camper.

    Religious moments are fine and dandy. He has plenty in the comics. However, in the comics, he does this in downtime. Not when he just insisted they needed to split the group up because he really, really needed to do *something else*.
    He was at the church then, he wasn't going to be at the church later, so he just took a very short moment when the opportunity arose.

    He was not sent off alone explicitly then. He has been alone numerous times throughout the series, and, for example, when they stopped at the roadblock, he's off happily looting corpses on his own. The danger is fairly obvious.
    He's only been alone at times of relative safety, at the roadblock for example, there's no walkers in the immediate vicinity and several others are keeping watch and/or scouting.

    The could have made a fence. Or not gone off into the woods solo when zombies are around.
    You're assuming they had the tools and resources to make a fence, which I don't believe we saw other than the raw wood on trees nearby.

    But they KNOW zombies exist everywhere. They know the rules by this point. They damned well SHOULD be trying to avoid them, and/or harden wherever they are. It doesn't have to work, but there's a reason people in most zombie movies board up doors and windows and the like.

    In fact, in the comic this show is based on, they DO take such basic precautions.
    They were trying to avoid them, the area they were camping in was remote and didn't have any walkers around until that one that they found eating a deer. At which point Rick and a few others went to get the guns so that they could move on with some defenses (at least I believe the plan was to move on once they got the guns, it's been a while since I saw the first season). What precautions do they take in the comic that they don't take here?

    Like by checking the area during daylight for wandering zombies in groups. That would be reasonable. Not wandering off alone into the darkness to take a pregnancy test would be reasonable. Checking the fence to see how he got in would be reasonable.
    Really? Lori steps a short distance away from the house for a minute in a relatively safe area to do something in secret and you're giving her crap for it?

    They do nothing. Nothing at all to address the "huh, it looks like zombies are getting in here." The irregular watch-keeping has been shown to be insufficient time and again by this point, but they do nothing different.
    Actually, the people on watch regularly see danger prior to it getting there.

    They're hanging up dry clothes on the clothesline. This is ridiculous.
    Or the clothes are still damp.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Yes, in one Rick keeps them following Herschel's request, in the other, Rick wouldn't be able to, so an explict warning to stay out of the barn would do no good.
    He follows explict requests, and tries to make sure his people do the same. Anything not made explicit, his people are really bad at.

    Like, yknow, taking the guys horse without asking. That strikes me as kind of dumb.

    They have to make do with what they've got.
    Which, in brain cells, seems to be about three.

    Then you remember wrong. He was quite impressed when Herschel's daughter rode in and smashed the walker attacking Andrea and even brought it up when they talked later.
    Ah, right. Which reminds me, that scene is a bit at odds with the background of what Herschel's family is doing with the zombies.

    He was at the church then, he wasn't going to be at the church later, so he just took a very short moment when the opportunity arose.
    And they showed him doing a complete lack of searching.

    He's only been alone at times of relative safety, at the roadblock for example, there's no walkers in the immediate vicinity and several others are keeping watch and/or scouting.
    Nobody is keeping watch at the roadblock. It is not relative safety. It is a new area that's congested so you can't see what's going on, and can't get through. Oh, and everyone there is dead. The chars themselves comment that it is, in fact dangerous. Then everyone gets out of the vehicles and goes wandering off solo.

    You're assuming they had the tools and resources to make a fence, which I don't believe we saw other than the raw wood on trees nearby.
    The ratio of abandoned things to people shown thus far is ludicrously high. They could have made a giant wall out of abandoned vehicles if they wanted to go for that sort of look. I would have also accepted nailing boards to trees.

    They were trying to avoid them, the area they were camping in was remote and didn't have any walkers around until that one that they found eating a deer. At which point Rick and a few others went to get the guns so that they could move on with some defenses (at least I believe the plan was to move on once they got the guns, it's been a while since I saw the first season). What precautions do they take in the comic that they don't take here?
    It's next to Atlanta. It's not remote.

    There was no reason to believe that the zombies could not get there. The sighting of a zombie nearby is only further indication that it is not safe.

    In the comics, they routinely stay together, keep everyone armed, and stick to living in places with walls, instead of tents. It's a world with a dramatic lack of people. There is no shortage of houses.

    Really? Lori steps a short distance away from the house for a minute in a relatively safe area to do something in secret and you're giving her crap for it?
    Yes. If I live in a world where zombies exist, wandering away alone into the darkness is not something I will do. Ever.

    Her "secret" is something that any rational person should have already concluded is a reasonable possibility. Thus, there is no reason for her to keep it secret. And she already confided it in one person, so being alone is still not at all necessary even if she wants to do so.

    Actually, the people on watch regularly see danger prior to it getting there.
    They didn't notice the zombie what got into the well. Or earlier, back at Atlanta, they didn't notice the zombies until well after they were already in the camp, chomping people. That is certainly a bit late. After such a notable event, one would think more precautions would be taken.

    Or the clothes are still damp.
    They're quite clearly dry. Dry cloth behaves noticeably different than wet or damp cloth. Watch it.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2011-11-17 at 01:43 PM.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    He follows explict requests, and tries to make sure his people do the same. Anything not made explicit, his people are really bad at.
    Again, it wouldn't have made a difference.

    Like, yknow, taking the guys horse without asking. That strikes me as kind of dumb.
    Disrespectful, but not neccessarily dumb.

    Ah, right. Which reminds me, that scene is a bit at odds with the background of what Herschel's family is doing with the zombies.
    Which means that either the urgency overrode the general attitude or not all of Herschel's family fully share his beliefs.

    And they showed him doing a complete lack of searching.
    Because they show very little of the actual searching without some good reason (Carl getting shot, Shane and Rick debating, Daryl falling down and almost dying). Watching people wander in the woods not finding the girl does not make for good tv. He was however definitely out with the rest of the group that nothing plot relevant happened to.

    Nobody is keeping watch at the roadblock.
    Dale and Rick would disagree. How else do you think they noticed the incoming herd?

    It is not relative safety. It is a new area that's congested so you can't see what's going on, and can't get through. Oh, and everyone there is dead. The chars themselves comment that it is, in fact dangerous. Then everyone gets out of the vehicles and goes wandering off solo.
    They had needs they had to fill and don't have time to waste, they wanted to get moving right after the camper was fixed. Again, no walkers in the immediate vincity and they were keeping an eye out for any incoming. Not an ideal situation, but wasting time is dangerous as well.

    The ratio of abandoned things to people shown thus far is ludicrously high. They could have made a giant wall out of abandoned vehicles if they wanted to go for that sort of look. I would have also accepted nailing boards to trees.
    There was not that many vehicles around. And did they even have nails, at least enough to board up a large enough area? Or enough boards to cover the area?

    It's next to Atlanta. It's not remote.
    They were some distance away from Atlanta with nothing around.

    There was no reason to believe that the zombies could not get there. The sighting of a zombie nearby is only further indication that it is not safe.
    Which is why they were leaving.

    In the comics, they routinely stay together, keep everyone armed, and stick to living in places with walls, instead of tents. It's a world with a dramatic lack of people. There is no shortage of houses.
    How many places with walls have you seen so far on the show? Also, they were camping out in the first book much like they were season one. Note that the current goal is to get to a fort. They've also armed most of the people, with those with gun training getting guns, and talked about giving the others gun training but haven't had the time to do so yet.

    Yes. If I live in a world where zombies exist, wandering away alone into the darkness is not something I will do. Ever.
    Again, she's right outside the house in an area that hasn't been attacked by walkers for an extended period of time. It's not a particularly risky move.

    Her "secret" is something that any rational person should have already concluded is a reasonable possibility. Thus, there is no reason for her to keep it secret. And she already confided it in one person, so being alone is still not at all necessary even if she wants to do so.
    You mean like she concluded was a possibility? Hence why she's testing to see if it's a certainity. The one person she "confided" in only knows because she needed him to and didn't find out until after she took the test.

    They didn't notice the zombie what got into the well.
    How do you know it wasn't there before they got there?

    Or earlier, back at Atlanta, they didn't notice the zombies until well after they were already in the camp, chomping people. That is certainly a bit late. After such a notable event, one would think more precautions would be taken.
    That was also at night, when it's hard to keep watch without light, which they can't use because they don't want to attact walkers.

    This season, they also saw the herd in time to get into hiding, and had Daryl really been a walker, they would have seen it as well.

    They're quite clearly dry. Dry cloth behaves noticeably different than wet or damp cloth. Watch it.
    This is likely the fault of the tv crew, perhaps they wanted the blowing in the wind look from dry clothes and didn't care about the inaccuracry (like say the shows/movies that have the sterotypical sound of a sword being drawn from a sheath even when it wouldn't really make that sound).
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-11-17 at 02:24 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Again, it wouldn't have made a difference.
    You don't know that.

    Disrespectful, but not neccessarily dumb.
    Being disrespectful is, in fact, dumb. Especially when you're in a survival situation, this guy's saving on of your people's lives, and his continued acceptance of your party is a good thing for you.

    Which means that either the urgency overrode the general attitude or not all of Herschel's family fully share his beliefs.
    The former explanation is still not consistent with their behavior and beliefs, and the latter is no consistent with her other reactions toward zombies.

    Because they show very little of the actual searching without some good reason (Carl getting shot, Shane and Rick debating, Daryl falling down and almost dying). Watching people wander in the woods not finding the girl does not make for good tv. He was however definitely out with the rest of the group that nothing plot relevant happened to.
    They have been showing people searching for five episodes now. Yes, I'm sure every word of shane and rick talking about their high school love life was critical to my understanding of the story.

    Dale and Rick would disagree. How else do you think they noticed the incoming herd?
    They did not notice until the zombies were right on top of them. That's why they were all hiding separate, and nobody could shout warnings. This is not an example of an effective lookout or advance warning.

    They had needs they had to fill and don't have time to waste, they wanted to get moving right after the camper was fixed. Again, no walkers in the immediate vincity and they were keeping an eye out for any incoming. Not an ideal situation, but wasting time is dangerous as well.
    They were stuck. The kids were not fixing the camper. So, wasting time is not a criteria. They had no idea that no zombies were around(note, zombies are not just walkers). You have kids digging through cars with dead bodies. How do you know none of those are zombies? You don't.

    There was not that many vehicles around. And did they even have nails, at least enough to board up a large enough area? Or enough boards to cover the area?
    They were there for months. The amount of abandoned vehicles and empty buildings depicted onscreen is nothing short of immense. Yes, they had raw materials.

    They were some distance away from Atlanta with nothing around.
    Nothing IMMEDIATELY around them. Atlanta, like basically all cities, has civilization all around it.

    Which is why they were leaving.
    No, it's not. It's because Rick thought the CDC might have a cure. This is also not brought up until the episode AFTER the camp is attacked.

    How many places with walls have you seen so far on the show? Also, they were camping out in the first book much like they were season one. Note that the current goal is to get to a fort. They've also armed most of the people, with those with gun training getting guns, and talked about giving the others gun training but haven't had the time to do so yet.
    The amount of camping in the books was minimal. In the books, Rick is actually a competent leader, instead of the clueless buffoon he's portrayed as in the series. Angela was also a great deal more competent.

    Again, she's right outside the house in an area that hasn't been attacked by walkers for an extended period of time. It's not a particularly risky move.
    It is risky. It's a notable risk of death. You are in an area that you know zombies have gotten into(found one earlier that day there, yay!). It doesn't need to be a mass attack if you're alone and unarmed.

    They do this all the time. Peeing with an armed buddy is not unreasonable.

    You mean like she concluded was a possibility? Hence why she's testing to see if it's a certainity. The one person she "confided" in only knows because she needed him to and didn't find out until after she took the test.
    No, he got the test for her. He knows what she's up to. Presumably those who have had unprotected sex with her also, being adults, are aware that pregnancy happens this way, and would consider testing to be...prudent.

    There's no reason to keep it a secret.

    How do you know it wasn't there before they got there?
    They don't know precisely when it got there, but somehow, it DID get over the fence. And Hershel thought the wells were fine, he had no idea. It doesn't matter when you think he got in, the important thing is that you now know "They can get in". That's the only thing that matters. You should react appropriately to that, either by not chilling casually where they can get in, or by trying to keep them out.

    And most certainly not by lowering a human to one of them for funsies.

    That was also at night, when it's hard to keep watch without light, which they can't use because they don't want to attact walkers.
    Light was only one possible response I listed.

    This season, they also saw the herd in time to get into hiding, and had Daryl really been a walker, they would have seen it as well.
    Seeing the herd was incidental. Everyone just happened to see the herd because there were so many zombies together. That was luck, not caution.

    They did see Daryl, yes. Granted, a whole bunch of them happened to be outside at that point, so luck is playing a part again. They reacted stupidly to that. Specifically, Andrea reacts stupidly. The others reacted entirely normally.

    This is likely the fault of the tv crew, perhaps they wanted the blowing in the wind look from dry clothes and didn't care about the inaccuracry (like say the shows/movies that have the sterotypical sound of a sword being drawn from a sheath even when it wouldn't really make that sound).
    Probably. The writers are probably to blame for the napalm discrepancy(a pretty notable one)

    On another note, Maggie and Glen slipping each other notes...seriously. I realized at about age six that this was a form of communication that was not all that stealthy. Wow.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Da'Shain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    I'd also like to point out that they're all normal people. Only Rick and Shane have any sort of comprehensive firearm training; only Daryl is an experienced hunter and woodsman. None of them have crazy survivalist experience, none of them have had to deal with making armed, secure camps before, and none of them are exactly Mensa level. The fact that they're making mistakes only a few months into the zombie apocalypse is perfectly reasonable, and that they haven't changed their habits enough to be optimized for extreme safety is to be expected.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Expecting Lori to immediately come out and say she's pregnant, for example, is silly. She and Rick still have problems, she doesn't know exactly who the father is and Shane could go even more nuts if he thinks he's having his own kid now, and just an episode or two ago she expressed sincere doubts as to whether this world is one in which she wants her child(ren) to live. Yes, logically it would be best to simply come out with it as people will find out eventually anyway (unless she gets it aborted somehow), but how many people do you know that behave logically all the time? How many people in survival situations are always thinking clearly?

    The watches being ineffective is debatable; obviously we're not going to see every single night, especially if nothing interesting happens that night or whoever's on watch deals with a walker with no incident. We see the watch fail a few times, sure, but one person or even two cannot see everything.

    On Shane and Otis being the ones to go: Glen was definitely elsewhere. There was no time to waste as Carl was near death. Otis had firsthand knowledge of both the school and the equipment they needed, and really, acquitted himself pretty well; just because he's fat doesn't mean he's not useful and should be immediately dismissed. I admit that the situation where Shane shot him was a bit unclear (to me at least), but actually I liked that about it. Shane clearly thinks he did what he had to do to survive, and Otis wasn't very hopeful about their chances either, but there's always some ambiguity in a choice like this. Shane could be right, and he took the option that led to one of them getting out of there and thus saving Carl; TBH I can't blame him for choosing himself to live, if that was the case. Or, Shane could be wrong, and his increasingly narrow focus is causing him to make bad decisions, not just morally questionable ones. I like that there's arguments for both sides.

    Also, if Andrea doesn't lose gun privileges for this, they deserve to get shot. I was shocked that almost no one seemed truly angry with her; that was a massively boneheaded move, especially after all of her grandstanding about how she deserves a gun. She's almost becoming a straight liability at this point, which I'm surprised by; at this point in the comics, she's one of the more levelheaded hardass characters in the group, and the best shot by far. Her characterization is going farther afield than I expected.
    Amazing Masked Rakshasa avatar by licoot

    "Once ... they were men. Now ... they are land crabs."

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    I'd also like to point out that they're all normal people. Only Rick and Shane have any sort of comprehensive firearm training; only Daryl is an experienced hunter and woodsman. None of them have crazy survivalist experience, none of them have had to deal with making armed, secure camps before, and none of them are exactly Mensa level. The fact that they're making mistakes only a few months into the zombie apocalypse is perfectly reasonable, and that they haven't changed their habits enough to be optimized for extreme safety is to be expected.
    I am not a crazy survivalist, nor do I claim to be a ridiculous genius.

    I don't have to be to realize that if the dead are living and trying to eat my brains, I should probably not wander off into the darkness unarmed. I have the skill "Have watched a horror movie at some point in my life".

    And Rick and Shane are cops. They should have at least a marginal spread of training.

    Expecting Lori to immediately come out and say she's pregnant, for example, is silly. She and Rick still have problems, she doesn't know exactly who the father is and Shane could go even more nuts if he thinks he's having his own kid now, and just an episode or two ago she expressed sincere doubts as to whether this world is one in which she wants her child(ren) to live. Yes, logically it would be best to simply come out with it as people will find out eventually anyway (unless she gets it aborted somehow), but how many people do you know that behave logically all the time? How many people in survival situations are always thinking clearly?
    She doesn't have to say she's pregnant. She merely has to say "Gee, it'd be nice if I could check, just in case. Also, we should probably use condoms."

    And even if she does want to keep her secret...well, she confided in one person to get her the test. Why not have the guy keep watch?

    The watches being ineffective is debatable; obviously we're not going to see every single night, especially if nothing interesting happens that night or whoever's on watch deals with a walker with no incident. We see the watch fail a few times, sure, but one person or even two cannot see everything.
    They fail the majority of the time.

    I admit that the situation where Shane shot him was a bit unclear (to me at least), but actually I liked that about it. Shane clearly thinks he did what he had to do to survive, and Otis wasn't very hopeful about their chances either, but there's always some ambiguity in a choice like this.
    At a minimum, it makes Shane look like a much more evil, selfish SOB if it wasn't really, clearly necessary.

    Also, if Andrea doesn't lose gun privileges for this, they deserve to get shot. I was shocked that almost no one seemed truly angry with her; that was a massively boneheaded move, especially after all of her grandstanding about how she deserves a gun. She's almost becoming a straight liability at this point, which I'm surprised by; at this point in the comics, she's one of the more levelheaded hardass characters in the group, and the best shot by far. Her characterization is going farther afield than I expected.[/spoiler]
    Right. I'm very, very unhappy with her char in the movie. She's coming across less as competent, and more as emotionally unstable and dangerous.

    The casualness with which they respond to rather severe mistakes seems...unreasonable. In a survival situation, I'd think people would react stronger to such dangerous mishaps, if anything. More tension, etc.


    Edit: More things coming back to me as I think through the episodes.

    Rick once justifies taking more people on the basis "so we can cover more ground". Cut to scene of them walking single file down a path.

    Just once, I would like to see an episode that isn't "They do something stupid, and spent the entire episode trying to fix it. And also talk about their feelings."
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2011-11-17 at 03:48 PM.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTarget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I have the skill "Have watched a horror movie at some point in my life".
    Point of order: I thought that it's fairly standard procedure that this type of horror story setting doesn't seem to include the kind of media it exemplifies (barring self-referential ones like Scream or Shaun of the Dead). I don't recall anybody in the show mentioning anything about zombie films or anything (although my memory could be failing me there).

    The characters can't be genre savvy since the genre doesn't seem to exist.

    It's like how the Star Wars franchise doesn't exist in the Darths & Droids universe.

    Not to say that the Walking Dead characters don't fail simply by lacking common sense, but faulting survival horror characters for not knowing things about survival horror stories is a bit unfair.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

    Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.


  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    You don't know that.
    He's sneaking off to have sex with Herschel's daughter, respecting an request like go into the barn is not something Glenn is likely to care about.

    Being disrespectful is, in fact, dumb. Especially when you're in a survival situation, this guy's saving on of your people's lives, and his continued acceptance of your party is a good thing for you.
    Taking the horse to look for a lost girl isn't likely to cause Herschel to break off all contact, so Daryl probably doesn't care if it makes a bit of friction since they're not planning to stay long.

    The former explanation is still not consistent with their behavior and beliefs, and the latter is no consistent with her other reactions toward zombies.
    How many other reactions toward walkers has she had?

    They have been showing people searching for five episodes now. Yes, I'm sure every word of shane and rick talking about their high school love life was critical to my understanding of the story.
    Right, because that wasn't just the opening of their converstation that lead to arguing about whether or not they should be searching at all or anything. They just talked about their high school love life and cut to another scene.

    They did not notice until the zombies were right on top of them. That's why they were all hiding separate, and nobody could shout warnings. This is not an example of an effective lookout or advance warning.
    Really? Because I saw them noticing the walkers when they were still far enough away for them to get to hiding. Which would be the goal of keeping watch.

    They were stuck. The kids were not fixing the camper. So, wasting time is not a criteria. They had no idea that no zombies were around(note, zombies are not just walkers). You have kids digging through cars with dead bodies. How do you know none of those are zombies? You don't.
    No they weren't just waiting, they were looking for things left over that they could use to survive.

    They were there for months. The amount of abandoned vehicles and empty buildings depicted onscreen is nothing short of immense. Yes, they had raw materials.
    Not nearby the camp. And I must say, the camp looked rather similar to the one from the comics.

    Nothing IMMEDIATELY around them. Atlanta, like basically all cities, has civilization all around it.
    Atlanta does, but the area they were camping out didn't have anything nearby.

    No, it's not. It's because Rick thought the CDC might have a cure. This is also not brought up until the episode AFTER the camp is attacked.
    I'll take your word for it then. They still weren't just sitting around for some extended period of time after seeing the first walker thinking they were perfectly safe, Rick leaves pretty much immediately to go get the guns and Merle.

    The amount of camping in the books was minimal.
    And since the amount of camping in show is similar, it's must also be minimal.

    In the books, Rick is actually a competent leader, instead of the clueless buffoon he's portrayed as in the series. Angela was also a great deal more competent.
    The books also cover a larger period of time than the show has, allowing for more character development. I've heard a number of people who have also read all the books theorizing that we're seeing the beginnings of Angela's development to what she is in the comic.

    It is risky. It's a notable risk of death. You are in an area that you know zombies have gotten into(found one earlier that day there, yay!). It doesn't need to be a mass attack if you're alone and unarmed.
    Not really notable, as Herschel and crew as still alive and well and she's still right nearby the house.

    They do this all the time. Peeing with an armed buddy is not unreasonable.

    No, he got the test for her. He knows what she's up to. Presumably those who have had unprotected sex with her also, being adults, are aware that pregnancy happens this way, and would consider testing to be...prudent.

    There's no reason to keep it a secret.
    *Facepalm* Right, she has no reason to not tell her husband she was sleeping with his best friend and is now pregnant. There's no potential drama there.
    [/sarcasm]

    They don't know precisely when it got there, but somehow, it DID get over the fence. And Hershel thought the wells were fine, he had no idea. It doesn't matter when you think he got in, the important thing is that you now know "They can get in". That's the only thing that matters. You should react appropriately to that, either by not chilling casually where they can get in, or by trying to keep them out.
    So they should do things like they were doing, keeping watch for any more walkers.

    And most certainly not by lowering a human to one of them for funsies.
    Yes, trying to make sure the well doesn't get contaminated in case it isn't already is just doing it for funsies.

    Light was only one possible response I listed.
    You offered no other viable ones.

    Seeing the herd was incidental. Everyone just happened to see the herd because there were so many zombies together. That was luck, not caution.
    Rick saw the first one when it was alone, or with just a couple of others, so even if the herd had only been one or two walkers, they still would have been aware of them.

    They did see Daryl, yes. Granted, a whole bunch of them happened to be outside at that point, so luck is playing a part again.
    The person on watch saw Daryl, another example of them doing their job.

    They reacted stupidly to that. Specifically, Andrea reacts stupidly. The others reacted entirely normally.
    Meh, the only real reason for her not to shoot him in-character is because herschel doesn't like guns. Not particuarly stupid for her to ignore that. The rest of the group had just barely got to him and hadn't gotten into a real conversation, they had really just established that he was, in fact, Daryl. I can understand her missing that while focusing on lining up a difficult shot.

    Probably. The writers are probably to blame for the napalm discrepancy(a pretty notable one)
    Maybe, could just be they didn't go to the heavily napalmed parts of the city.

    On another note, Maggie and Glen slipping each other notes...seriously. I realized at about age six that this was a form of communication that was not all that stealthy. Wow.
    Darn those horny kids.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Point of order: I thought that it's fairly standard procedure that this type of horror story setting doesn't seem to include the kind of media it exemplifies (barring self-referential ones like Scream or Shaun of the Dead). I don't recall anybody in the show mentioning anything about zombie films or anything (although my memory could be failing me there).

    The characters can't be genre savvy since the genre doesn't seem to exist.

    It's like how the Star Wars franchise doesn't exist in the Darths & Droids universe.

    Not to say that the Walking Dead characters don't fail simply by lacking common sense, but faulting survival horror characters for not knowing things about survival horror stories is a bit unfair.
    They don't need to know advanced tropes or anything, they could honestly get by on "stop making the same mistakes we already made". People go wandering off alone tend to get eaten? We should stop doing that.

    At the moment, the only competent party members are Glenn(though he looses points for agreeing to be inexplicably lowered to a zombie) and Daryl. Honestly, why Daryl hasn't decided he'd be a better leader is a bit beyond me.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •