Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 445
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Gator's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Its implied that he did not know. He said that getting the walkers out of the quicksand was Otis's job, which proabably meant Otis found her in the quick sand and put her in the barn. Then of course Shane shot him before he could learn they were looking for a little girl and tell them kindly.
    In fact, that's exactly what Kirkman said in the aftershow. He even explicitly said that it's all Shane's fault!

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Gator's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Its implied that he did not know. He said that getting the walkers out of the quicksand was Otis's job, which proabably meant Otis found her in the quick sand and put her in the barn. Then of course Shane shot him before he could learn they were looking for a little girl and tell them kindly.
    In fact, that's exactly what Kirkman said in the aftershow. He even explicitly said that it's all Shane's fault!

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    And during the feeding, during which she takes her time to look them over, she didn't notice then? I mean, Glenn might have been a bit shocked by the revelation in general, and not been looking too closely, but she didn't have that excuse.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fawkes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    If the preview on the website is any indication, they're actually going to discuss this next episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No, you can't advertise your rape how-to guide on my website.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Joxer t' Mighty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Countryside
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Just saw the previews. Does that idiot STILL believe they are simply sick? Seriously? After Shane's brutal demonstration? Can he really be that completely insane?

    If so, then yes, he IS dangerous.

    Ok, let's say he came to terms with this fact. He would still keep them in there, letting them slowly rot? I would shoot any of my family and closest friends, because what their bodies are doing is a horrible thing and they deserve to be at peace. I would hope they'd do the same for me.
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2011-11-29 at 03:22 PM.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    Just saw the previews. Does that idiot STILL believe they are simply sick? Seriously? After Shane's brutal demonstration? Can he really be that completely insane?

    If so, then yes, he IS dangerous.

    Ok, let's say he came to terms with this fact. He would still keep them in there, letting them slowly rot? I would shoot any of my family and closest friends, because what their bodies are doing is a horrible thing and they deserve to be at peace. I would hope they'd do the same for me.
    Technically speaking, many people have taken several rounds to the chest before, and not died. Well, at least, not immediately. It's a bit unlikely, but the fact that Shane shot the zombie in the head rather quickly sort of ruined the demonstration.

    Don't get me wrong, the rotting and stuff...there is a lot of denial going on. But it's a fairly predictable, understandable sort of denial, in which he's trying to justify the situation in the way that means his wife and kid aren't/weren't dead. Denial is a pretty common reaction to loss. It does not mean that he is dangerous overall. Shane's "solution" was not the best way to approach this.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Wait a minute.
    Doesn't the zombie smell keep the zombies from being interested in something?
    Think back to the first season.

    If so, keeping some zombies contained (safely?) in a nearby area could actually keep the herds away, depending on how the winds blow.

    At the very least it might maybe mask the presence for a while. And the scent detecting capabilities are only human, not bloodhounds or anything.

    Just speculating, not defending the possibly crazy person.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-11-29 at 04:50 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    The 'walker' smell thing is more of a 'walkers don't eat walkers' thing where Rick, Glen, and company used the smell of walkers to hide their own scent/sight so the walkers would think they were one of the living dead too. Having a barn full of zombies wouldn't do anything to mask the scent of the household-and-then-some of living people living close by.

    Is it wrong that I can't blame Hershel though? I really can't, as Rick's pointed out to him, Hershel really hasn't seen how bad everything is and, from his reaction to the news of the attack on his daughter, he's never been personally attacked by a walker either. With a lack of those two big factors, it's not hard to see an old man who studied his entire life to help animals (and then people) to want, no need, to believe the walkers were still people. Especially after his wife and son became one. Hershel has never had to kill a walker and likely refuses to believe that the walkers died in the first place. In such a situation, for all he knows, the CDC could come up with a cure and fix his wife and son.

    Not to mention that...well...he wasn't just letting walkers roam around the farm, he treated them as dangers and kept them locked up in a well secured barn.

    ...Really starting to hate Shane though, I've seen the man do nothing redeemable in my eyes, besides bring equipment to save Carl which...required another man to die apparently. (I still think they both could have made it without either dying)
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Really starting to hate Shane though, I've seen the man do nothing redeemable in my eyes, besides bring equipment to save Carl which...required another man to die apparently. (I still think they both could have made it without either dying)
    Me too. Looking how long they were rolling around struggling with each other, the walkers caught up after about 15-20 seconds. That's quite a distance! And if they kept limp running, they were probably going the same speed as the walkers. Plenty of time to get in the car and run away.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    The 'walker' smell thing is more of a 'walkers don't eat walkers' thing where Rick, Glen, and company used the smell of walkers to hide their own scent/sight so the walkers would think they were one of the living dead too. Having a barn full of zombies wouldn't do anything to mask the scent of the household-and-then-some of living people living close by.
    When predators in the wild smell other predators, they stay out of the territory for two reasons. 1-Competition for food. Why go onto someone's turf and compete for food if you can go somewhere else. 2-Predatory creatures are aware that fighting another predator can kill them.

    If zombies can smell other zombies in a given area, rather than investigate it for food, they might just move onward.
    And since zombies smell bad, odds are they overpower the smell of food, namely people, especially if those people keep a low profile.
    Remember, they only have to fool a human nose, one that is probably decayed pretty severely (sinuses and their nearby tissue go fast once rot sets in). A healthy human being likely can't smell another healthy human being when at the scene of a murder, I really doubt the zombies could pick out the scent of a non-zombie food source out of the smell of say, 12 other zombies.

    Wind permitting of course. If the wind was blowing the scent away from the hypothetical wandering pack of zombies, then of course all bets are off.


    Is it wrong that I can't blame Hershel though? I really can't, as Rick's pointed out to him, Hershel really hasn't seen how bad everything is and, from his reaction to the news of the attack on his daughter, he's never been personally attacked by a walker either. With a lack of those two big factors, it's not hard to see an old man who studied his entire life to help animals (and then people) to want, no need, to believe the walkers were still people. Especially after his wife and son became one. Hershel has never had to kill a walker and likely refuses to believe that the walkers died in the first place. In such a situation, for all he knows, the CDC could come up with a cure and fix his wife and son.
    My fiance is a vet. She has seen people who never give up on their pets, their animal family members. There was once a dog who came in, hit by a car, near enough torn clean in half, rib cage completely shattered, huge amounts of internal bleeding. There was once a lady who brought in this mastiff (really big dog) that had some 13 different tumor sites, one of which weighed over 3 pounds.
    There was literally zero hope for their family members, their pets, they didn't give up until the very bitter bitter end.
    Some disease? Those are cured all the time right?
    I can sort of kind of empathize with Hershel, but only to a point.


    Not to mention that...well...he wasn't just letting walkers roam around the farm, he treated them as dangers and kept them locked up in a well secured barn.
    Which shows that he was at least semi-rational in his thought process. He had to have thought very carefully how to get them in there, keeping them there, etc.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    For about the last five minutes of the episode, I was on Team Shane. Some people needed to see the reality of the situation, and he made a very convincing argument. Sure, there was risk, but he did arm everyone right before the big event and people needed to be scared. The locals had become too accustomed to the monster next door, and were clinging to beliefs that made no sense.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    For about the last five minutes of the episode, I was on Team Shane. Some people needed to see the reality of the situation, and he made a very convincing argument. Sure, there was risk, but he did arm everyone right before the big event and people needed to be scared. The locals had become too accustomed to the monster next door, and were clinging to beliefs that made no sense.
    The comfort factor may be why they are clinging at all. Hope is comforting, hope that these people can be saved is more tangable hope that the world can be saved. The fact that Hershel and crew could go out to the barn and talk to these people if he/they wanted to is a comfort, even if they are horrible monsters rotting to death slowly.

    It's incredibly bizarre, and yet this is honestly how some people do cope during crisis situations, which is why it is believeable, even if that belief is paper thin. However, the bizarreness is what makes this all rather difficult to believe or empathize with.


    We're all genre savvy. We view this all as mistakes. I don't think many of us have been through any really terrible emergencies (though if anyone has, my respects). My grandmother lived through the bombing of London in WWII. The newsreels painted one picture, her stories and experiences painted a different one. She saw adults and children both, dealing with shell shock, dealing with catastrophic loss, dealing with horrifying injuries. She saw adults deal with the resulting poverty, the widespread difficulty of access to basic human needs. Lets just say that after seeing all this, some of the reactions in Walking Dead really wouldn't be too likely to surprise her.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    When predators in the wild smell other predators, they stay out of the territory for two reasons. 1-Competition for food. Why go onto someone's turf and compete for food if you can go somewhere else. 2-Predatory creatures are aware that fighting another predator can kill them.

    If zombies can smell other zombies in a given area, rather than investigate it for food, they might just move onward.
    And since zombies smell bad, odds are they overpower the smell of food, namely people, especially if those people keep a low profile.
    Remember, they only have to fool a human nose, one that is probably decayed pretty severely (sinuses and their nearby tissue go fast once rot sets in). A healthy human being likely can't smell another healthy human being when at the scene of a murder, I really doubt the zombies could pick out the scent of a non-zombie food source out of the smell of say, 12 other zombies.

    Wind permitting of course. If the wind was blowing the scent away from the hypothetical wandering pack of zombies, then of course all bets are off.
    Well, the zombies are not portrayed as intelligent*, nor do they avoid clustering up into packs, apparently. So, there's no real indication of this.

    *Provided we ignore the season 1 zombies smart enough to use rocks on the window.

    Which shows that he was at least semi-rational in his thought process. He had to have thought very carefully how to get them in there, keeping them there, etc.
    Yes. He's definitely in denial about their humanity(or at least, their curability. If some part of them is still alive inside, screaming in horror, they may in fact still be at least partially human)

    However, he is not in denial about how dangerous they are. He's responded accordingly to that, and that's whats really important. You being in a building with zombies locked outside or vice versa...the important thing is that you're keeping the zombies away from you. And any available ammo is better spent on the zombies NOT safely caged away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    For about the last five minutes of the episode, I was on Team Shane. Some people needed to see the reality of the situation, and he made a very convincing argument. Sure, there was risk, but he did arm everyone right before the big event and people needed to be scared. The locals had become too accustomed to the monster next door, and were clinging to beliefs that made no sense.
    You do not threaten everyone's lives to win an argument. Ever. It doesn't matter how good an argument it makes, putting lives at risk to win is never acceptable.

    Every single person I know that watches this show said they would have shot him before he got the barn open. I was the only one(out of what, eight?) who even said he should get a warning.

    Perhaps the barn solution is not ideal. It is not something you need to deal with at that exact second by forcing people to do what you want. Shane was incredibly wrong, and what he did will only have negative consequences.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anderlith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    I would have shot him & threw him in the bog. Shane is more of a threat than the walkers

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Finally got back to my DVR and got to watch the latest episode. Totally worth the wait. Shane sure keeps things interesting around here, doesn't he? Though word of advice Shane, however good of a point you may have had, being that much of a jerk about it is not the best idea. A nice touch there that despite the fact that it was most of the rest of the group that was all gung ho and ready to take out the Walkers, Rick was the one who was able to shoot Sofia. Well done Walking Dead crew, well done.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    When predators in the wild smell other predators, they stay out of the territory for two reasons. 1-Competition for food. Why go onto someone's turf and compete for food if you can go somewhere else. 2-Predatory creatures are aware that fighting another predator can kill them.

    If zombies can smell other zombies in a given area, rather than investigate it for food, they might just move onward.
    And since zombies smell bad, odds are they overpower the smell of food, namely people, especially if those people keep a low profile.
    Remember, they only have to fool a human nose, one that is probably decayed pretty severely (sinuses and their nearby tissue go fast once rot sets in). A healthy human being likely can't smell another healthy human being when at the scene of a murder, I really doubt the zombies could pick out the scent of a non-zombie food source out of the smell of say, 12 other zombies.

    Wind permitting of course. If the wind was blowing the scent away from the hypothetical wandering pack of zombies, then of course all bets are off.
    It was already mentioned, but I'll chip in on it too. Your opinion is quite right, but only when it applies to an intelligent (or at least animal-intelligence) predator that needs the food that it's eating. They stay apart because that's survival for them.

    Walkers aren't intelligent (rock and window incident aside, cause it's never been repeated), they don't seem to NEED the flesh they eat, and present the biggest danger when they ARE in a pack. I highly doubt the smell of walkers would keep other walkers away, considering their tendency to band together into 'herds', though I could see the argument that it might hide the scent of living people if enough walkers were there.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    And dont forget in Season 1 with several characters coating themselves in (more)dead Walker guts to avoid detection, only to run into issue once it started to wash off.
    If the walkers have that senestive a scent detection, it is probably better than ours. Or that the very least, they are better in tune with it.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    You do not threaten everyone's lives to win an argument. Ever. It doesn't matter how good an argument it makes, putting lives at risk to win is never acceptable.

    Every single person I know that watches this show said they would have shot him before he got the barn open. I was the only one(out of what, eight?) who even said he should get a warning.
    Since the whole party was armed, and the walkers would all be coming through the same door, I'm not sure that everyone's lives were threatened. It put a good scare into some of them, but the farmstead was in serious denial that required a good shock since time and logic certainly weren't working. The threat unleashed by Shane was still controlled pretty well by his brief preparation and how he went about it. He certainly looked emotional and out of control, but handled a sweep of the barn in just about the best way possible. The only better way would have been to snipe at them through the walls or from the rafters, but then the farm folk could have maintained their delusions more easily.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    Since the whole party was armed, and the walkers would all be coming through the same door, I'm not sure that everyone's lives were threatened.
    I completely agree. I don't think anyone's lives were at danger at all here. Shane had earlier inspected the doors and probably knew that the chain would keep any more than maybe two walkers coming out at a time. To claim that one would shoot and probably kill someone for being dramatic, one of the few people who know how to properly care for guns, and one of the better shots in the group is incredibly short sighted. Shane simply made the tough decision that Rick wasn't able to and acted on it. Unfortunately for Shane, Rick cemented his position as a leader when he stepped up to take care of Sophia, something Shane failed to. If he had I'm sure that he would have looked like more of a leader and perhaps achieved what he wanted to, to return as the leader of the group and just Rick's "second in command".
    I'm craving a Film Noir-ish detective story with Chtulhu elements in personal horror-style. Gaming system irrelevant. Willing to co-dm / main-dm something but I prefer to play. PM me if you're interested or have any good ideas to base a story on.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    I completely agree. I don't think anyone's lives were at danger at all here. Shane had earlier inspected the doors and probably knew that the chain would keep any more than maybe two walkers coming out at a time.
    Oh? If he was so confident in the security of the chained doors, why was it so urgent to shoot them all? However you slice it, he's being illogical.

    To claim that one would shoot and probably kill someone for being dramatic, one of the few people who know how to properly care for guns, and one of the better shots in the group is incredibly short sighted. Shane simply made the tough decision that Rick wasn't able to and acted on it. Unfortunately for Shane, Rick cemented his position as a leader when he stepped up to take care of Sophia, something Shane failed to. If he had I'm sure that he would have looked like more of a leader and perhaps achieved what he wanted to, to return as the leader of the group and just Rick's "second in command".
    It's not JUST for being dramatic. Shane was completely out of line. He's shown signs of instability before, mind you, but this was quite over the top.

    A zombie is basically an unarmed, dumb person without notable weapons who moves at a shamble. A crazed human is far more dangerous to you than a zombie will ever be.

    And Rick made the decision. He just didn't make the decision Shane wanted him to make. He made it clear that he was going to handle it with Hershel diplomatically. There was no decision avoidance happening there.

    Skills can be learned much easier than people can be raised from the dead. Shane is a threat to people living.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    @Zombie Packs
    Herds. They're canon. They do indeed group up. Just saying.


    @Instinct
    The zombies are said to run off instinct due to only their brainstems being active.
    That said, most predatory creatures exhibit the behavior of "I smell competition down the left corridor, I'll go the right corridor instead." It's mostly because of laziness, or path of least resistance. Predators (common ones anyway) spend most of their energy in bursts, any energy they don't have to spend they usually won't.
    Also, while hunting technique is learned behavior, hunting drive is instinctual, even in reptiles such as Alligators who have nearly no learned behavior functions. The fun thing about instincts is, they're only as good as their detection methods.
    If they won't attack other walkers, it stands to reason that they won't waste the energy to compete with them, beyond the competition of ripping a corpse (horse or human or other) limb from limb.


    As for the logistics of keeping live zombies around to act as a scent screen, well, that comes at a point of common sense, naturally.


    @Scent Detection
    An animal such as a bloodhound can smell an ounce of cocaine mixed into bleech. A human being can barely smell a cup of coffee in a butcher shop. And usually human scent detection has a nasty habit of blending ingredients together rather than being able to separate them.
    So I would imagine that a bunch of walkers (all whom have rotting, decayed, and damaged scent detection at best and none whatsoever at worst) would likely not be able to pick out something like a family of 4, if they had a barn full of 20 zombies, simply by scent alone.
    Also, that barn probably gets pretty hot during the day. I don't imagine that it smells very pleasant, and probably smells more 'funky' than normal.

    Then again, all of this is good arguement for staying downwind of the walkers whenever possible, to avoid scent based detection. This in addition of course to keeping a low profile. Low volume, lights out after dark, etc.

    Huh. Now I'm wondering. What side of Atlanta was their original camp situated on, and what direction did the wind most commonly blow? Probably a meaningless detail though. Still, anyone at camp who knew how to hunt would probably have thought of that.


    Random thought. If the brainstem is the active part of the brain, therefore the part that needs damaging to stop a zombie, wouldn't aiming for the neck, or where the neck and skull meet, be the best place to aim for a melee attack? I wonder.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Oh? If he was so confident in the security of the chained doors, why was it so urgent to shoot them all? However you slice it, he's being illogical.
    I think you misunderstand me, I'll explain it differently to you.

    If you look at the barn doors, if you can remember, there is a chain hanging from both sides keeping the doors from being completely opened. The door only opens up about 2-3 feet allowing only a couple of zombies from coming outside at a time. This is what I meant by what I said. I never meant that Shane thought those chains would keep the doors locked forever, and I struggle to see how my sentence led you to believe I did. Of course, I'm speculating in intentions here and I am assuming that Shane is somewhat observant. Did I make myself clearer or do you need a second explanation?

    As for Shane being out of line, I agree. I also think he was out of line, but we don't shoot people for being out of line. You don't shoot other human beings when the dead are rising up to eat you unless it's absolutely necessary and honestly, in this situation it objectively wasn't. In my opinion, anyone who feels it's ok to shoot fellow humans because they don't act the way you think they should, is a greater danger to a group of survivors than anyone who act out of line from time to time.

    Also, I'm speaking as a person with no experience in cleaning guns but I don't think that's a skill you just don't pick up on without guidance from someone who knows. Disassembling a gun is probably easy enough, but putting it back together and have it work properly can't be easy. Does anyone here have experience with this?
    I'm craving a Film Noir-ish detective story with Chtulhu elements in personal horror-style. Gaming system irrelevant. Willing to co-dm / main-dm something but I prefer to play. PM me if you're interested or have any good ideas to base a story on.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    I think you misunderstand me, I'll explain it differently to you.

    If you look at the barn doors, if you can remember, there is a chain hanging from both sides keeping the doors from being completely opened. The door only opens up about 2-3 feet allowing only a couple of zombies from coming outside at a time. This is what I meant by what I said. I never meant that Shane thought those chains would keep the doors locked forever, and I struggle to see how my sentence led you to believe I did. Of course, I'm speculating in intentions here and I am assuming that Shane is somewhat observant. Did I make myself clearer or do you need a second explanation?
    There is also a chain across the front of the door, keeping the door shut. It's not in any worse condition, and looks quite solid, and has a shiny new padlock on it.

    If he's making assumptions about it only allowing a couple zombies out at a time because both of those chains are sturdy...why would he assume the other chain was not? If the doors are not sturdy...then assumptions about zombies coming out slowly are not warranted.

    In short...there is no real reason for Shane to believe the barn is insecure. There are no breakouts, reasonable precautions were clearly taken, and also, your people are not right next to the barn, and you now have a watch up. There is absolutely no urgency so great that you have to ignore everyone else and just start acting the fool.

    As for Shane being out of line, I agree. I also think he was out of line, but we don't shoot people for being out of line.
    When they are freeing a known contained threat merely to make a point? Yes, you do. I would have expended a single round instead of the what, hundred or so shots fired in the extremely inefficient clearing of the barn? Mostly everyone would be happier because Shane's inability to work with others has caused endless problems.

    You don't shoot other human beings when the dead are rising up to eat you unless it's absolutely necessary and honestly, in this situation it objectively wasn't. In my opinion, anyone who feels it's ok to shoot fellow humans because they don't act the way you think they should, is a greater danger to a group of survivors than anyone who act out of line from time to time.
    Nope. Shane is a demonstrated risk from before. This time is just the first time that rises to the level of mortal danger. He is FORCING you to fight to defend your life. That's outright hostility, and firing on him is self defense.

    Also, I'm speaking as a person with no experience in cleaning guns but I don't think that's a skill you just don't pick up on without guidance from someone who knows. Disassembling a gun is probably easy enough, but putting it back together and have it work properly can't be easy. Does anyone here have experience with this?
    Yes. Everyone in AF basic did all of their weapons training(including disassembling and reassembling the gun, going out to shoot, and doing the disassemble/reassemble/cleaning in a single day, consisting of about six hours. It was much, much slower than it needed to be because it's a mass of trainees with few instructors.

    There is honestly no real excuse for people being non-proficient with firearms after about day three. They are fairly simple things, generally, and you do not, in fact, need to disassemble most firearms to clean them. You merely shove a rod with attachments down the barrel in a specific order. I could teach someone this in about five minutes.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Probably just picking on the set design folks, but there's a lot of security on the door and not much thought given to the holes in the walls of the barn. We see broken and possibly rotting wood, to the point where it seemed like the walkers could have probably made a hole and crawled out. If they have enough strength to tear pieces out of a person, it looks like they'd have enough to escape their rustic wooden prison. Maybe those spots are just good places to insert chickens.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    In short...there is no real reason for Shane to believe the barn is insecure. There are no breakouts, reasonable precautions were clearly taken, and also, your people are not right next to the barn, and you now have a watch up. There is absolutely no urgency so great that you have to ignore everyone else and just start acting the fool.
    I'm not trying to defend his actions here, I'm just saying that he didn't put people at the risk you seem you to think he did. If you watch the last scene again you'll see that no zombie got closer to them than 8-10 metres (25-30 feet), that's a pretty succesful execution even if they did waste some ammo. The wasted ammo was probably just added for dramatic effect anyway, everybody loves some gore.

    Though I do agree with Shane in that keeping walkers in a barn not far from where you are going to be sleeping, regardless of how good a watch routine you have is a silly risk to take.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    When they are freeing a known contained threat merely to make a point? Yes, you do. I would have expended a single round instead of the what, hundred or so shots fired in the extremely inefficient clearing of the barn? Mostly everyone would be happier because Shane's inability to work with others has caused endless problems.
    If you honestly believe this then I am so, so glad I don't have to rely on you in a hypothetical zombie survival scenario.

    Edit: In other words, if you really think his actions justifies possibly murdering him I think you should reconsider what you are saying.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Nope. Shane is a demonstrated risk from before. This time is just the first time that rises to the level of mortal danger. He is FORCING you to fight to defend your life. That's outright hostility, and firing on him is self defense.
    Like I've said above, I disagree with you. I really don't believe they were in the mortal danger that you claim they were. The whole scene looked to me like they had it pretty much under control. Like I've mentioned, the zombies came in a steady stream, not like a rushing herd. They also never got closer than 8-10 metres. It was a stupid thing to do yes, but don't make it more dramatic than it was.




    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yes. Everyone in AF basic did all of their weapons training(including disassembling and reassembling the gun, going out to shoot, and doing the disassemble/reassemble/cleaning in a single day, consisting of about six hours. It was much, much slower than it needed to be because it's a mass of trainees with few instructors.

    There is honestly no real excuse for people being non-proficient with firearms after about day three. They are fairly simple things, generally, and you do not, in fact, need to disassemble most firearms to clean them. You merely shove a rod with attachments down the barrel in a specific order. I could teach someone this in about five minutes.
    Ah, today I learned. Let's hope they have that equipment somewhere readily available and someone who knows how to use them correctly then.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2011-12-01 at 04:19 PM.
    I'm craving a Film Noir-ish detective story with Chtulhu elements in personal horror-style. Gaming system irrelevant. Willing to co-dm / main-dm something but I prefer to play. PM me if you're interested or have any good ideas to base a story on.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    behind u always behind u

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Im sure someone has pointed this out before, but ALL zombie films, minus 28 day later and airborn zombies, require a heavy dose of suspense of disbelief. The most realistic display of how zombies could "Sneak up" on a society is Shaun of the dead. He just kinda doesn't pay attention.

    Other than that unless the zeds are particularly hard to kill, particularly deadly, or particularly virulent i just go into horror movie mode and try not to point out that simply ripping up the first 8 feet of stairway leading to the second floor will nullify any danger and allow one repeatedly kill zeds with a ax till your arms get tired or they start climbing up the mountains of bodies, which i gotta tell you is not actually easy at all.

    if you think about it simply digging a whole bunch of 2 and half foot deep post holes as a defensive barrier would break lots of zed legs. Its not like they are particularly bright.


    I still wonder how that tank in atlanta got stranded. Ran out of fuel? i mean zombies would be no problem, just run them over. in fact that could have been a viable tactic to round up zeds. put a platform on top of nice tall steel pole put some guys on the top of it. give them a couple weeks of food, weapons, and a zip line to a far away point with a get away vehicle incase of awefulness. But their primary goal is simply to bang trash cans, set off flares, be really stinky, and basically draw walkers in from the surrounding neighborhood. every day a tank or other really heavy vehicle makes its rounds and reduces the walkers to a jam like pulp, drops off supplies, and goes to the next lure platform.

    see gotta not think 'bout zombie stuff like a Player Character
    I will be master of "pushy pull slidy nothingf@c$1ng stacks" also known as 4th edition.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anderlith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    Also, I'm speaking as a person with no experience in cleaning guns but I don't think that's a skill you just don't pick up on without guidance from someone who knows. Disassembling a gun is probably easy enough, but putting it back together and have it work properly can't be easy. Does anyone here have experience with this?
    Firstly, when I was a kid my grandfather was teaching me about guns. He gave me an unloaded pistol & told me to disassemble it. I was able to do this without instruction. He then told me what to clean & I cleaned it. He then told me to put it back together. I was able to do this without instruction. It's not difficult.

    Secondly, I view Shane's actions to that of releasing an angry tiger, or a pack of wolves. They want to kill me. If he released them then he wants to kill me.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Secondly, I view Shane's actions to that of releasing an angry tiger, or a pack of wolves. They want to kill me. If he released them then he wants to kill me.
    Or he wants to let the walkers into a killing zone and slaughter them all. You know, like exactly what happened.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Anderlith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Or he wants to let the walkers into a killing zone and slaughter them all. You know, like exactly what happened.
    He passed out guns, that's it. He did not coordinate everyone into a line or have them surround the barn. He walked up alone & opened the gates. The others joined in after. They were forced into a life or death situation.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    He passed out guns, that's it. He did not coordinate everyone into a line or have them surround the barn. He walked up alone & opened the gates. The others joined in after. They were forced into a life or death situation.
    They were all armed, they were all right by the barn, they all saw him go up to the barn and begin to beat on the door, there was nothing else he needed to do to prepare them.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-12-02 at 06:59 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •