New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Looking for some good Batman comics.

Now, keep in mind, I have a specific idea of what I'm looking for when I say good. I want something with a happy ending, or the potential for a happy ending. Frankly, I'd like some sort of story where a member of Arkham ends up a not entirely insane criminal (Wasn't there like a Harley and Ivy series based off of that idea?). However, just a "The future looks bright" type of ending would be good. Keep in mind, I'm really not asking for much here. Even an ending like the one in "Crimson Mist*" could qualify.

I have Batman:Haunted Gotham and Batman: The Black Casebook at the moment and was wondering if I should return them. Are they going to be Dark with no real closure like "Arkham Reborn" (Which I did not like) or are they going to at least have an ending, even if it's not necessarily a happy one?

Essentially, I'm looking for a book (Or a series of them) that just has an ending that has the potential to plausibly end well.

I'd just watch the old animated series, but I can't get it on Netflix, and am unable to find the episodes I care about on youtube.

And by "Return" I mean that I got them at my library.

Crimson Mist Spoilers*
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's an Elseworlds comic where the ending is essentially "Everybody is dead." the people of Gotham are still alive, but Batman, Alfred, Gordon, and everybody the story considered relevant in his Rogues gallery was murdered. Robin, Batwoman, ETC. don't exist in it as far as I recall. Like I said, I'm not asking for much here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for some good Batman comics.

The Must Haves
    Batman Chronicles (several volumes) by Bob Kane et al
    The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller et al
    Year One by Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli et al
    The Killing Joke by by Alan Moore, Brian Bolland et al

Other good comics
    Batman Collection volumes 1-3 by Neal Adams et al
    Strange Apparitions by Steve Englehart, Marshall Rogers et al
    Dark Detective by Steve Englehart, Marshall Rogers et al
    The Cult by Bernie Wrightson et al
    Blind Justice by Sam Hamm (writer of the Tim Burton films), Denys Cowan (The Question artist) et al
    Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (very high brow, post modern, Freudian, Jungian etc) and Dave McKean (gorgeous but creepy art)
    Joker: Devil's Advocate by Chuck Dixon et al

Elseworlds
    Gotham by Gaslight by Brian Augustyn, Mike Mignola et al
    Tales of the Multiverse: Batman Vampire by Doug Moench, Kelley Jones et al
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2011-10-17 at 08:28 AM.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Now, keep in mind, I have a specific idea of what I'm looking for when I say good. I want something with a happy ending, or the potential for a happy ending. Frankly, I'd like some sort of story where a member of Arkham ends up a not entirely insane criminal (Wasn't there like a Harley and Ivy series based off of that idea?).
    I think you're thinking of Gotham City Sirens, which I've never read so I can't comment on.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wholly recommend batman year one.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are looking for something along the lines of Batman the Animated Series, Paul Dini (who wrote many BTAS episodes) has written some comics.

Check out

Batman: Private Casebook
    Batman: Heart of Hush

Those were the two Batman comics I started with and I really enjoyed them.

Lots of the Batman comics that are known as "classics" try to reinvent the wheel too much IMHO and lose that sense of fun that someone like Dini preserves, while keeping the story still dark and moody.

P.S. Both of the above give some pretty happy endings - as happy as Batman's endings can get in his dark world, anywho. They aren't really downers.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-10-17 at 09:48 AM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!