New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    C 816I could, say, write up a 5-10 level monster base class called "dinosaur" that gets you dinosaur traits or something, and starts with you being awakened.

EDIT: I can make you a vestige for a dinosaur, though. Do you want "generic T-Rex dinosaur: natural attacks, forehead plate or armor spikes, bite attack, looks like a bird" or do you want a special type of dinosaur, like "T-Rex: dinky arms, bites, huge" and "Triceratops: horns, head plate, charges a lot"?

If you want a specific species/type/general swath of dinosaur, name it and I'll hammer something out. I don't write lore, though, so think of something cool.
    C816
    The Generic Dinosaur Idea sounds cool....If you could come up with the name, Im sure I could write the lore.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #362
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

R.819 I'm really just looking for a quick homebrew that'd let characters use up their HP to perform even more extraordinary things than characters can usually do in 3.5 for a solo session I'm hosting. What I'm looking for basically is the ability to trade HP for viable bonuses: maybe a martial character would deal more damage or do an extra attack, maybe a caster would be able to cast an extra spell, and maybe a skillmonkey could use all of its ingenuinity to overcome an obstacle, to try to turn HP into a ressource of sorts, while not being easily abuseable by carying 20 CLW wands around. Perhaps an ability that could be used twice a day, the first time leaving its user fatigued, and the second time, exhausted? I'm not sure how to balance this at all.

The game isn't very optimised, either. It's pretty casual.
    Last edited by CardCaptor; 2012-11-01 at 10:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    R 815

I would like a "base class with a race built in (don't remember the official term)", preferably at the stronger end of tier-3, that fits the following fluff:

Spoiler
    Show
    He was once human, or at least something like it. He was also a powerful arcane caster. But he gave it all up in a ritual, in which he purposely died (similarly to becoming a lich), and split his soul into a thousand pieces (or maybe even more.) The ritual's effects then took all magic he had in him, as well as much of the latent magic in the local aura, and fused it with the soul-bits into a new soul, before bringing him back to life in his original body. Because of this, he no longer has spells, but he still has the magic. In fact, that magic is now inherently part of him.

Of course, more than just arcane magic was absorbed. There was also a large amount of essentia (from Magic of Incarnum), and there might have been (and probably were) energies drawn from other planes (astral, shadow, etc.), psionic energies, quintessence ("Thoon illithid stuff"), and many other things. (Most class features should be based on "unlocking" abilities coming from his "soul mix-in stuff".)
    It isn't too soon to repost this one, is it?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    I had this mostly-written in my notes for ages and forgot about it. Finally got back to it.

The Flenser
    Um...did you perhaps mean for this to be Fletcher? A Flenser is someone who cuts fat off a carcass.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    C816
    The Generic Dinosaur Idea sounds cool....If you could come up with the name, Im sure I could write the lore.
    C 816
    Last question: What level are you playing at? (i.e., should I just make this a level 1 vestige?)

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    R.816.

Would like to request:

A PrC class that Slowly gives the Dinosaur the benifits of the Awaken spell.

Or a Dino-focused Vestige, Which ever is easy-er.
    C.816 I'm gonna have a crack at this, but I know Just to Browse will be finished far sooner than I will. And even worse, I have a feeling they have the same ideas I'm planning on using, but it's worth a try anyway.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

C.816

Well...I am playing at high levels, Level 8 Vestige Please, And no "Epic Spells" If ya dont mind.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

R 820: Are there any existing homebrew classes (base or prestige) that provide permanent, extraordinary size increases?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

C.816

Take a look at this (mmx).

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

R 821
    I would like ideas for class abilities for a spellcaster prestige class based on infusing spells with light, and empowering/modifying light spells. The class itself is meant to be an arcane caster with some divine flavor, so abilities that would make spells more effective against evil outsiders and the like are welcome.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2012-11-04 at 02:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371

C. 820 yes, too many to name really.

Here's a thread full of ones I personally enjoy the look of http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165439 and there's a few more recent classes you can find them all here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240717.

Oslecamo continued his thing on another site and made all advanced versions of creatures into Prestige Classes.
    It's also subject to more of that, balance checking, thing people like to do to make sure something isn't too powerful.

Thread has same name on both sites.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Banned

R822
    I want to have Squarks and Tako in my D&D game. If nobody has done an actual 3.5 conversion of their official stats, the next-best thing would be a statted-up giant octopus or large squid or something (these animals are in the MM animals chapter, but I was hoping to do better) which can be adapted to both an intelligent amphibious version and a ravening predator.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-04 at 07:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    R822
    I want to have Squarks and Tako in my D&D game. If nobody has done an actual 3.5 conversion of their official stats, the next-best thing would be a statted-up giant octopus or large squid or something (these animals are in the MM animals chapter, but I was hoping to do better) which can be adapted to both an intelligent amphibious version and a ravening predator.
    C822:
    And if you do improve the Giant Octopus stats, make sure you don't make the same mistake the original made:
    Jet should not work on land.

Also, what's a Squark? Google just gives it as something to do with a quark.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-04 at 08:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

R 820 followup: Right, I'd forgotten about the monster classes. Is there a warforged titan monster class, perchance?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

R 815

I would like a "base class with a race built in (don't remember the official term)", preferably at the stronger end of tier-3, that fits the following fluff:

Spoiler
    Show
    He was once human, or at least something like it. He was also a powerful arcane caster. But he gave it all up in a ritual, in which he purposely died (similarly to becoming a lich), and split his soul into a thousand pieces (or maybe even more.) The ritual's effects then took all magic he had in him, as well as much of the latent magic in the local aura, and fused it with the soul-bits into a new soul, before bringing him back to life in his original body. Because of this, he no longer has spells, but he still has the magic. In fact, that magic is now inherently part of him.

Of course, more than just arcane magic was absorbed. There was also a large amount of essentia (from Magic of Incarnum), and there might have been (and probably were) energies drawn from other planes (astral, shadow, etc.), psionic energies, quintessence ("Thoon illithid stuff"), and many other things. (Most class features should be based on "unlocking" abilities coming from his "soul mix-in stuff".)
    Can anyone do this?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

R 823
    I'm working on a bronze age Pathfinder campaign setting where medium armor and above is pretty much non-existent. As such I need a variant Fighter class that is restricted to light armor or less, but is still balanced.

"The desire to dream is primordial."
    Player Registry

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sriseru View Post
    R 823
    I'm working on a bronze age Pathfinder campaign setting where medium armor and above is pretty much non-existent. As such I need a variant Fighter class that is restricted to light armor or less, but is still balanced.
    C 823. "Still balanced" implies that it was balanced in the first place, which is highly dubious. I'd suggest looking/asking for a couple of Fighter-ish classes that embody tighter concepts than merely "good with weapons" (for example, converting archetypes into classes and then giving them their own archetypes, although I'm not as familiar with PF). If I come across some good ones, I'll edit them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Can anyone do this?
    You might want to stop reposting it every three days
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    R. 813

I've become interested in Incarnum for a specific faction in my campaign setting that carry two souls in their body. However, none of the classes in MoI work for them, since they aren't really alignment aligned, and are definitely not totemists. That being the case, I'd like an Incarnum base class that doesn't have anything to do with alignment, but does have to do with drawing upon your second soul for power, and could theoretically be applied to any lifestyle, urban or wilderness. Tier 3 is the optimal tier.
    Still looking for someone with more experience with Incarnum than I for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    C822:
    And if you do improve the Giant Octopus stats, make sure you don't make the same mistake the original made:
    Jet should not work on land.

prepare yourself

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

R 824 (did I do that right?)

I need a balanced half-succubus for my fan-comic. I want to stick with the rules, but really I'm just learning myself, so I was pointed here. It would be preferable if it had the flying ability. I hope this isn't too complicated...
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-11-05 at 10:06 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #382
    Banned

C822:
    Originally it was just one more example of D&D's longstanding tradition of absurd animal hybrids (of which the Owlbear is the best known since TSR/Wizards insists on pretending it is awesome). I was originally planning to simply excluded it from my CW, which is easily done...but then I realized that while it being yet another example of Bored Wizard Syndrome is silly, it works very well if you imagine that it's an incarnation of the racial terror of underwater humanoids, because it is a combination of the two most dangerous and horrifying creatures in the sea. So I plan on treating it as a Magical Beast or possibly an Aberration, perhaps giving it a few extra Su abilities based around terrifying merfolk and deep elves and such, and referring to it by a much less imbecilic name, one which I made up off the top of my head and which sounds appropriately quasi-demonic: Lokhorrok. The result will be pure awesomesauce in any aquatic campaign (for whatever that's worth).

Still looking for someone with more experience with Incarnum than I for this.
    Really, your best bet is probably just to ignore the alignment restrictions of Incarnate and Soulborn (along with buffing Soulborn a lot, or just combine the two into a single class which gets 3/4 BAB, d8s, and the full Incarnate melding ability; there's already a d8 RSL for Aasimars and turning it into a full class is not likely to break anaything).

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh... supersymmetric theory.

24. - Top - End - #384

H824

The Half-Succubus

This inherited template can be applied to any living, corporeal creature that reproduces sexually.

• Type becomes outsider. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves.
    • A half-succubus has retractable bat wings. Unless the base creature has a better fly speed, the creature can fly at the base creature’s base land speed (average maneuverability). Retracting or expressing the wings is a move action.
    • Natural armor improves by +1
    • A half-succubus with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Each ability is usable 3/day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

{table]1-2|Charm Person
      3-4|Detect Thoughts
      5-6|Suggestion
      7-8|Charm Monster
      9-10|Dominate Person
      11-12|Teleport
      13-14|Charm Monster, Mass
      15-16|Ethereal Jaunt
      17-18|Dominate Monster
      19-20|Trap the Soul[/table]
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to poison.
    • Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
    • Damage reduction: 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).
    • A half-succubus’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    • Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).
    • Abilities: int+2, wis+2, cha+8
    • +4 racial bonus on listen, spot and disguise checks. These skills are always class skills for a half-succubus, as is speak language.
    • Any creature kissed by a half-succubus must make a fort save (dc 10 + 1/2 HD + cha mod) or suffer 1 point of constitution drain. If the creature fails the save, the half-succubus gains temporary hp equal to the creature's hit dice. Regardless of the fort save, the kiss bestows a suggestion spell (same dc, but will) to kiss again. A half-succubus cannot drain a creature below half its original constitution.
    • Challenge Rating: HD 4 or less, as base creature +1; HD 5 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.
    • Level Adjustment +4.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

C 815
    have you looked at the mutator class?

26. - Top - End - #386

Um...did you perhaps mean for this to be Fletcher? A Flenser is someone who cuts fat off a carcass.
    Yes, of course. I guess I had Fire Upon the Deep stuck in my head. I'll go back and edit that now.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Really, your best bet is probably just to ignore the alignment restrictions of Incarnate and Soulborn (along with buffing Soulborn a lot, or just combine the two into a single class which gets 3/4 BAB, d8s, and the full Incarnate melding ability; there's already a d8 RSL for Aasimars and turning it into a full class is not likely to break anaything).
    The problem with that is the class features are all based around alignment. I thought about converting, and it would be more or less as big a project as creating a new class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Banned

Love the half-succubus there.

The problem with that is the class features are all based around alignment. I thought about converting, and it would be more or less as big a project as creating a new class.
    * Aura and Detect Oppositition don't apply but big flippin' deal. If necessary you can invent new "alignments" that fit the theme of your setting (in mine I might go with Nature vs. Madness, since I use the Book of Aberrations a lot and I like Druids) and have Incarnates detect those.
    * Incarnum Radiance can be treated as "choose one" regardless of alignment (the GM might veto certain combinations if they look broken, but there's no reason Law couldn't have AC just as logically as Good does, or why Chaos especially has to grant speed as opposed to anything else). Or you could homebrew your own effects for other Incarnum Radiances - Nature might give a little Fast Healing, Madness might boost your Will Saves, who the heck knows.
    * Incarnate Weapon really doesn't have to have anything to do with alignment, they just cribbed that bit from Spiritual Weapon without really thinking it through. You probably want to stick to d8 martial weapons but even that might be negotiable if you look carefully at the balance involved. In my game I have an NPC Evil Incarnate who cuts people down with a big scythe; the real scythe is probably too potent to give to a player, but a Large-sized Sickle that you can wield as if it were Medium (you won't get Reach since you yourself are not Large) is probably not unreasonable.
    * Totem Avatar is a sticky one since all the listed avatars are alignment-based outsiders, but you could just make it look like whatever you think your character's "war form" should be - for True Neutral there's outsider dudes called Rilmani in Planechase, though I encourage going for something cooler than them. And the ability it grants can be worked out much the same way that the Incarnum Radiance is (Chaos would like to politely suggest that you refrain from a completely un-synergistic and off-flavor idea like having the Blue Slaad form with its giant claws boost your ranged attacks, while you have tons of mobility from your Radiance so you could easily close to melee.)

Sample Char: Newt Middleton, True Neutral Human Incarnate
    * Aura of Total-Squareness Level 1, Detect Funny Business At Will
    * Incarnum Radiance: An aura of crisp, sterile clarity leaches the color from the surrounding area, making nearby objects look grayish and slightly transparent (this has no effect on visibility). This sharpens Newt's vision and grants him a +1 bonus on ranged attacks.
    * Incarnate Weapon: Looks like a giant fork; stats as a trident. Typically says something about his opponent being "completely out to lunch" before attacking.
    * Incarnate Avatar: Looks like a giant faceless accountant in a pinstripe suit. Characters within 5 feet per invested e at the start of their action have their speed halved for the round, as their minds fill up with a distracting battle of the pointless questions of typical of bureaucratic red-tape.
    * Other soulmelds: Enigma Helm.

There, that's an intentionally somewhat silly but perfectly playable skeleton for an alignment-less (apart from Total-Square vs. Funny-Business, which the GM will have to make ad-hoc judgments on) Incarnate 3, who gets all of the alignment-related stuff (AFAICR) out of the way; for the remaining 17 levels everything else about him can be completely RAW.

29. - Top - End - #389

H821

The Sunmage

Prerequisites:
    • Able to cast Daylight as an arcane spell
    • Feat: Arcane Disciple(sun)
    • Knowledge(religion): 4 ranks

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|0|0|0|2|Energy Substitution: Light|
    2nd|1|0|0|3|Domain Flexibility|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    3rd|1|1|1|3|Trigger Vulnerabilities|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    4th|2|1|1|4|Illumination|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    5th|2|1|1|4|Energy Mixture|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    6th|3|2|2|5|Light Immunity|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    7th|3|2|2|5|Blinding|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    8th|4|2|2|6|Rainbow Powers|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    9th|4|3|3|6|As the Sun|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting
    10th|5|3|3|7|Radiant Creature|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting[/table]
    Hit Die: d4
    Skills: 2+int
    Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(religion), Knowledge(the planes), Perform(any), Spellcraft

Energy Substitution: Light(su): When using a spell that deals energy damage, you may change the energy type to light. The spell's subtype changes. Creatures with the [light] or [radiant] subtype are immune to this.

Domain Flexibility(su): You are no longer limited to one use per day of spells gained through arcane disciple.

Trigger Vulnerabilities(su): When you deal light damage to an undead creature or a creature which suffers penalties in sunlight, increase the damage 50%. When dealing damage to an undead creature which suffers penalties in sunlight, double the damage.

Illumination(su): You can use the spells Light and Dancing Lights as at-will SLAs

Energy Mixture(su): When you cast a spell that does non-light energy damage, you can cause it to do an equal amount of light damage as well. This is a metamagic effect that increases the effective spell level by 3.

Light Immunity(su): You and your allies within 120 ft cannot be harmed by light.

Blinding(su): When you deal 20 or more points of light damage to a creature at once, it is blinded for one hour or until it receives blindness-specific healing.

Rainbow Powers(su): You can spontaneously cast any Prismatic spell by sacrificing an unused spell or spell slot of equal or higher level.

As the Sun(su): When you deal 20 or more points of light damage to a creature at once, it suffers any penalties in would from direct sunlight.

Radiant Creature(su): You become a radiant creature. Gain: dex +4, cha +6, spot +4, fast healing 2 when illuminated, DR 10/magic and immunity to becoming blind, dazed, dazzled, or stunned.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2012-11-07 at 12:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

R825:
    A 3.5 rework of the Lucid Dreaming skill, such that it has more ability to actually affect a dream in more significant ways, less "Lucid Dreaming is an assasination skill", and less that makes it so that it only works in campaigns where dreaming is actually a mind-only automatic Planeshift to a specific plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew