New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

H968

Drakin
    Medium Dragon (Air)
    Hit Dice: 4d12+12 (38 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40 ft., fly 80 ft. (Average)
    Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 Natural), Touch 13, Flat-footed 13
    BAB/Grapple: +4/+8
    Attack: Claw + 8 melee (1d6+4) or dragonbow +8 ranged (1d10+5 [+7 against flying creatures])
    Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d6+4) and bite +8 (1d8+2) and 2 wing buffets +8 melee (1d4+2) or dragonbow +8 ranged (1d10+5 [+7 against flying creatures])
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Breath weapon
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, telepathy 100 ft.,
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 14 Cha 13
    Skills: Appraise +9, (+11 bows), Craft (bowmaking) +9, Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +8, Knowledge (nature) +11, Listen +9, Spot +9, Survival +9 (+11 in above ground natural environments)
    Feats: Multiattack, Improved Multiattack
    Environment: Temperate Land
    Organization: Any
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Double Standard
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: By character class (favored class Psychic Warrior)
    Level Adjustment: +3   

Drakin are plant-like dragons that have adapted to standing upright. Instead of normal scales, they are covered in leaf-like scales. They cannot speak but can communicate telepathically with any creature that has a language. Drakin eggs must be planted before a drakin can hatch.

Combat

Drakin prefer to use their breath weapon only against particularly difficult foes and fight either with their natural weapons or with their specialized bows (see Dragonbow details below).

Breath Weapon (Ex): 3 times a day as a standard action, a drakin can breathe a 30-foot cone of pollen that causes all those within the cone to fall into fits of sneezing and coughing. Those failing a DC 15 Fortitude save take 2d6 points of Constitution damage immediately. In addition, those failing a second DC 15 Fortitude save 1 minute later are dealt 1d6 points of Constitution damage. Those who succeed on either saving throw are nonetheless disabled by choking (treat as stunned) for 5d4 rounds. The save is Constitution based.

Dragonbow is a +1 heavy repeating heavy crossbow that does +2 additional points of damage to flying creatures. It requires a Strength score of 18 to wield. Anyone other than a drakin using a dragonbow takes a -2 penalty to hit.

Notes: the drakin presented above is the elite caste of its kind and has the most powerful stats. It has +8 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis, and +2 Cha.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-10-08 at 05:34 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #962
    Firbolg in the Playground

R966
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    R966

I have need of a Chosen of Gond template based on the Chosen of Mystra pseudo template that the Simbul has in the Epic Level Handbook.

The Techsmith class from faiths and Pantheons as well as the Creation, Metal, and Planning Domains could be useful inspiration.

Mind, the character this is for already has all of those things so a template that just gives those things wouldn't be very useful.

Any takers?
    Reposting as this character is seeing play tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

C968
    That'll do, that will do nicely.

The request is still open for converting it to Eclipse Phase though.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Glitch View Post
    C968
    Glad you like it. What is the eclipse phase? Where is it mentioned?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

C968
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Glad you like it. What is the eclipse phase? Where is it mentioned?

Debby
    Eclipse Phase

Also the request is open to anyone who wants to.
    Last edited by Reality Glitch; 2013-10-08 at 05:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C 966

The only Chose of Gond Template I've seen is here:

http://faerunrp.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&p=18964

Debby

7. - Top - End - #967

C 966

Debby
    Thank you! I hadn't seen that, your help's appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

H 917

Here is how they look updated to 3.5 not changing any text and no idea of balance or if level is appropriate. rounds 5 and up changes to minutes per level.

Conduit Pierce
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Range: Medium (100 feet plus 10 feet per caster level)
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Casting Time: 5 minutes
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: Negates

Probe Spellshadow
    Divination
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Range: Special
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 3 rounds
    Saving Throw: None

Corporeality, Greater
    Transmutation
    Range: Touch
    Casting Time: 3 minutes

Dissipate
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6
    Range: Close (25 feet plus 5 feet per caster level)
    Duration: 1 round/2 levels
    Casting Time: 6 minutes
    Area of Effect: 1 target
    Saving Throw: Special

Etherealness, Greater
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Casting Time: 7 minutes

Etherealness, Lesser
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 3 rounds/level
    Casting Time: 5 minutes

Lob
    Transmutation
    Range: Medium (100 feet plus 10 feet per caster level)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Casting Time: 3 rounds
    Area of Effect: 10-foot radius
    Saving Throw: Special

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-10-09 at 11:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Post 969

Hey guys! I'm looking for a CR 2-3, Undead. I'm looking for something flesh golem esque, but would be an appropriate challenge for a 5 man group of level 2s. Psion,Bard,Fighter,Rogue and an unknown. It's conceivably going to be a "miniboss" for an area, and I'd like it to be flavorful. Go wild! Just make it somewhere that could conceivably be left in a crypt.

Also, where do ya'll get the blank tables for your builds? For classes, with the BAB, saves and things like that on them?

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

C 969

Undead-flesh-golem thing will come later. Here are the tutorials on table-making.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    R967
    A base class for 3.5e or Advanced Class for d20 modern based on Ben Tennyson.
    C/H 967
    Quick and Dirty:
    (It's been a while since I saw that show, so adjust the numbers to fit better)
    Take Druid.
    Remove good fortitude save, maybe replace with good reflex save.
    Add Balance, Bluff, and Tumble to the skill list, remove Spellcraft and all knowledge skills.
    Remove spellcasting and class features except wildshape.
    Push Wildshape to level 1, make it at-will but with a duration of 3d4 rounds+class level, and with a 1d6 minute cool-down. and have it apply to magical beast and monsterous humanoids instead of animals. Later give elementals, dragons, and plants. Still later give abberations, fae, and outsiders. Require 10 specific forms to be picked. These can be altered at level-up.

If you are feeling really frosty, and have a calculator at your gaming table, say that max hitpoints are as per the form assumed, and percentage of total hitpoints is consistant across form changes, except for temporary hitpoints, which are a static bonus on top.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground

R970

Can someone whip up a "boar" option for the Spirit Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion? Possibly the boar totem variant from Unearthed Arcana could be a jumping off point.

Thank you!
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

13. - Top - End - #973
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Glitch View Post
    H968

There's a number of ways you could potentially use this in game. Taking a brief look, if I was to use this in game I'd probably do it as an exsurgent, either as a result of Xenomorph strain infection, or encountered on an exoplanet while gatecrashing. However, I get the feeling you want it more as an actual nonexsurgent alien species to contact. I'll also throw in a pod biomorph, because transhuman genehackers can and would do it.

Drakin Warrior (Xenofauna)
    {table]COG|COO|INT|REF|SAV|SOM|WIL|MOX
    10|15|15|15|10|20|20|-
    INIT|SPD|LUC|TT|IR|DUR|WT|DR
    5|1|-|-|-|60|12|90[/table]
    Movement Rate: 4/20 (Flight 8/48)
    Skills: Exotic Ranged Weapon (Breath Weapon) 40, Exotic Weapon (Bows) 30, Fray 25, Sense 60, Control 60, Infiltration 30, Unarmed 30
    Notes: Carapace Armor (11/11), Chameleon Skin, Breath Weapon (Treat as Factor Dust Toxin), Claws, Echolocation, 360-degree vision, Psi Defense (Level 2), Zoosemiotics
    Psi Sleights: Mindlink, Ambiance Sense, Ego Sense, Empathic Scan, Omniawareness

Psychic Warrior Variant: Add Psi Assault skill at 50, and add Psychic Stab, Penetration, Psi Shield, and Sense Block, and Alienation.

All in all, somewhat dangerous in huge numbers but not terrible threatening to a group of combat capable PCs in crasher or dedicated combat morphs with a decent armament. The breath weapons are laughably ineffectual in EP terms (seriously, who goes gatecrashing in a morph that needs to breathe).

Drakin Morph (Pod)
    Implants: Carapace Armor, Chameleon Skin, 360-degree vision, Echolocation, Claws, Implanted Drug Gland (Breath Toxin), Wings
    Aptitude Maximum: 30
    Durability: 60
    Wound Threshold: 12
    Advantages: +10 SOM, +5 to two aptitudes of player's choice, Psi Defense (Level 1), Breath Attack (Use Factor Dust Toxin).
    Disadvantages: Alien Biochemistry, Social Stigma (Alien), Social Stigma (Pod), Neural Damage (Synaesthesia)
    CP Cost: 50
    Credit Cost: Expensive (Rare, Minimum 50,000+)

This pod morph replaces the pollen used in the Drakin breath attack with a synthetic compound designed to have similar effects.
    Last edited by Acatalepsy; 2013-10-10 at 04:12 PM.
    Deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars.

Eclipse Phase: Because transhuman post-apocalyptic conspiracy and horror goodness now comes in Creative Commons-licensed PDF form.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acatalepsy View Post
    H968

There's a number of ways you could potentially use this in game. Taking a brief look, if I was to use this in game I'd probably do it as an exsurgent, either as a result of Xenomorph strain infection, or encountered on an exoplanet while gatecrashing. However, I get the feeling you want it more as an actual nonexsurgent alien species to contact. I'll also throw in a pod biomorph, because transhuman genehackers can and would do it.

Drakin Warrior (Xenofauna)
    {table]COG|COO|INT|REF|SAV|SOM|WIL|MOX
    10|15|15|15|10|20|20|-
    INIT|SPD|LUC|TT|IR|DUR|WT|DR
    5|1|-|-|-|60|12|90[/table]
    Movement Rate: 4/20 (Flight 8/48)
    Skills: Exotic Ranged Weapon (Breath Weapon) 40, Exotic Weapon (Bows) 30, Fray 25, Sense 60, Control 60, Infiltration 30, Unarmed 30
    Notes: Carapace Armor (11/11), Chameleon Skin, Breath Weapon (Treat as Factor Dust Toxin), Claws, Echolocation, 360-degree vision, Psi Defense (Level 2), Zoosemiotics
    Psi Sleights: Mindlink, Ambiance Sense, Ego Sense, Empathic Scan, Omniawareness

Psychic Warrior Variant: Add Psi Assault skill at 50, and add Psychic Stab, Penetration, Psi Shield, and Sense Block, and Alienation.

All in all, somewhat dangerous in huge numbers but not terrible threatening to a group of combat capable PCs in crasher or dedicated combat morphs with a decent armament. The breath weapons are laughably ineffectual in EP terms (seriously, who goes gatecrashing in a morph that needs to breathe).

Drakin Morph (Pod)
    Implants: Carapace Armor, Chameleon Skin, 360-degree vision, Echolocation, Claws, Implanted Drug Gland (Breath Toxin), Wings
    Aptitude Maximum: 30
    Durability: 60
    Wound Threshold: 12
    Advantages: +10 SOM, +5 to two aptitudes of player's choice, Psi Defense (Level 1), Breath Attack (Use Factor Dust Toxin).
    Disadvantages: Alien Biochemistry, Social Stigma (Alien), Social Stigma (Pod), Neural Damage (Synaesthesia)
    CP Cost: 50
    Credit Cost: Expensive (Rare, Minimum 50,000+)

This pod morph replaces the pollen used in the Drakin breath attack with a synthetic compound designed to have similar effects.
    This looks pretty cool, thanks.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Bugbear in the Playground

H970

Deathless Rage: At first level, a spirit-boar totem barbarian may trade fast movement for the deathless rage ability. A character with this ability cannot be stopped by hit point damage while raging, instead continuing to fight no matter how negative his hit points.

Thick Skin: A spirit-boar totem barbarian may trade away his damage reduction for an equal amount of natural armour.

16. - Top - End - #976

C 966

Debby
    C 966

I've had time to read the presented Chosen of Gond and it's certainly not good Homebrew. That isn't to say that I'm not still appreciative of your finding it, thank you again for that. It definitely sparked some ideas.

I did some thinking about this request and I was about to tackle it myself but I realized I have no clue what all the Chosen of Mystra pseudo-template gives. And I have some very specific ideas about what I'd want included in a Chosen of Gond template but I don't know how it would compare and I would like for them to be of equal power.

Would someone more familiar like to put together my version? Spoilered below are the specifics that I know of. Thanks regardless Homebrewers, you folks do good work.

Spoiler
    Show

- Template can only be applied to an Epic character.
    - Alignment restriction of Neutral.

- Explicit access to the Custom Magic Item guidelines as though they were rules instead.
    - Explicit access to the Feats in Items sidebar (AaEG)
    - Explicit access to the Wondrous Architecture rules (SBG)

- Ability to treat Constructs as Magic Items
    - Ability to combine any two Magic Items by paying the *1.5 cost. Like MIC item combining rules, only any two Magic Items. (Might already be covered by gaining access to the Custom Magic Item guidelines.)
    - Ability to create Constructs with a price based on their CR as per PF rules. With the exception that normally free-willed Constructs can be made this way, but they aren't controlled. Though their attitude will start off as Friendly (much like the Awaken Construct spell.)

- Ability to create Animated Objects using the Craft Construct feat which would change the duration of the spell to "Instantaneous", basically just making them unDispellable.
    - Access to the 3.0 Minor Servitor (SS) spell as a SLA.
    - Awaken Construct (SC), and Incarnate Construct (SS) as SLA.

The above are all (with the exception of the SLAs) houserules that are making the actual character "Chosen of Gond" in game, I thought it best to list them all.

Edit: FRCS page 247 actually has a Chosen of Mystra Template that I was previously unaware of.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-10-13 at 01:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Barbarian in the Playground

C970

Looks perfect, thank you.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

R968
    I would like a Mutants and Masterminds version.
    Last edited by Reality Glitch; 2013-10-11 at 01:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

R971
    Its a big ask, but could someone look at converting the Dragon Shaman class to focus on Kythons instead? I saw it mentioned on these forums a while back and it never materialised, and after a brief foray into making it myself I have realised it will take someone with more skill and finesse than I. More or less any power level- scaling something as strong as a Kython down to dragon shaman levels would be a pity.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It is acceptable to ask if anyone is familiar with existing homebrew on a subject here as well as request something new be made, correct?

R972: I'm looking for a playable, non-OP, non-NPC-only version of the Feral template, or something occupying a similar thematic niche, that not only has a stated LA+1 but actually is LA+1 rather than being LA+2-3 or so as the Feral template itself is reputed to be.

Spoiler: further details, rambling
    Show
    My principal interest here is in gaining the two claw natural weapons. I'm also interested in some level of defenses, though I suspect that the natural armor bonus would need to be axed, lowered, and/or spread out over more HD/levels; and fast healing either broken up further/delayed to a certain character level/number of HD before it kicks in or axed entirely.

I'm not interested in the special attacks like pounce, rake, rend, or improved grab, since I'd already written those off as only keying off of RHD anyway and so not stuff that I'd be getting/looking to get.

Darkvision, I could take or leave, and would be fine with knocking it down from a scaling version to the baseline version w/out any scaling. I'm also not that interested in changes to ability scores, so shifting to a +2/+2/-2 or +2/+2/-2/-2 scheme would be fine as would a +2/-2 or lack of any changes to ability scores. The improvement to land speed is of marginal interest. The size of the damage die on the claw attacks is flexible in my mind, I figure it'd probably need to be toned down to 1d6 or 1d4 rather than 1d8 as the standard for a Medium-sized creature.

Spoiler: Things not in the original template of interest to me
    Show
    Bonuses to, say, survival/spot/listen/hide/move silently I could see potentially filling in a minor gap or something, depending upon the power of the constituent elements. If a bite attack wouldn't be completely over the top then that might also be in line with what I'm thinking. Scent's probably out, but I suppose it's also thematically linked in too.

I'm more than OK with breaking up the benefits over mutliple levels, even to a greater extent than the original version.

In the event that it is actually fine as an LA+1 template as written, or at least by stripping off the special attacks; then how could one rejigger it to include a bite attack and scent and keep it LA+1?

My apologies if this is too much rambling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #981
    Bugbear in the Playground

H972

Getting balance exactly right is tricky, but I'll give this a try.

Feral is an inherited template that can be applied to any humanoid.
    • Str +2, Con +4, Int -2
    • Type is humanoid or monstrous humanoid, whichever is more beneficial
    • Gain 2 claws: primary natural slashing weapons that do 1d6 damage if medium and crit x2 on 20
    • Gain 1 bite: secondary natural piercing weapon that does 1d3 damage if medium and crits x2 on 20
    • Gain the scent ability
    • Gain +2 racial bonuses on survival, spot and listen. These bonuses increase by +2 for every 5 class levels taken.
    • Gain low-light vision
    • Bonus languages: add sylvan
    • Favoured Class: Barbarian or previous favoured class
    • Level Adjustment: +1
    • Challenge Rating: +1

I tried to make it about as good as goliath or aasimar, and something I could imagine taking for a barbarian. Honestly, the natural weapons aren't very useful, and I definitely see optimized feral human barbarians wielding greataxes like anyone else, but the stats should do nicely and the skills should be relevant.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2013-10-12 at 01:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

C972
    Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    H972

Getting balance exactly right is tricky, but I'll give this a try.
    Spoiler
    Show

Feral is an inherited template that can be applied to any humanoid.
    • Str +2, Con +4, Int -2
    • Type is humanoid or monstrous humanoid, whichever is more beneficial
    • Gain 2 claws: primary natural slashing weapons that do 1d6 damage if medium and crit x2 on 20
    • Gain 1 bite: secondary natural piercing weapon that does 1d3 damage if medium and crits x2 on 20
    • Gain the scent ability
    • Gain +2 racial bonuses on survival, spot and listen. These bonuses increase by +2 for every 5 class levels taken.
    • Gain low-light vision
    • Bonus languages: add sylvan
    • Favoured Class: Barbarian or previous favoured class

I tried to make it about as good as goliath or aasimar, and something I could imagine taking for a barbarian. Honestly, the natural weapons aren't very useful, and I definitely see optimized feral human barbarians wielding greataxes like anyone else, but the stats should do nicely and the skills should be relevant.
    Thank you very much. Interesting choice giving a +4 constitution, and I didn't even remember that low-light vision existed.

As for the efficacy of the natural weapons, I probably should have mentioned that I'm tooling around with this for a particular character who is looking to maximize natural weapons and is going for a Totemist-based build. Whoops. x.x

edit: Made a couple of tweaks to what you gave me after I finalized race selection and ended up with a bite attack from the base race.

Spoiler: Feral tweak
    Show
    More responsive, hardier, and better able to pick up on threats/prey and react to them, not used to cogitating, faster for chasing down prey/evading predators, also has developed claws, because claws.
    • Dex+2, Con +2 Int -2,
    • Type is unchanged
    • Land speed increases by 10 feet.
    • Gain 2 claws: primary natural slashing weapons that do 1d4 damage if medium and crit x2 on 20, increase to 1d6 damage at 6 HD.
    • Natural Armor bonus increases by 1. This bonus increases by 1 every 5 levels.
    • Gain +2 racial bonuses on survival, spot and listen. These bonuses increase by +2 every 5 levels.
    • Gains Scent
    • Gains Low-light vision

Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-10-18 at 04:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

R973

I'm looking for a base class based on the Diclonius from Elfen Lied, being able to 'manipulate' and defend yourself with invisible arms that gradually become more powerful as you grow in level.

I know it's a lot to ask, but the last telekinetic-style base class I saw turned into waaaay too much of a mess for me to follow >.>
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Dwarf in the Playground

R974

Can anyone stat out and price a 3.5e magic item like this:

A smith hammer that contains a trapped fire elemental inside of it. The hammer head is transparent and you can see the elemental trapped inside. When the smith is ready to work, the elemental "flames-on" to ignite the hammer head to give it an extra kick (reduces the cost of crafting magic items at half the XP). The item is an intelligent item since the smith can communicate with the elemental.

That's the gist of it. I'm not against tweaking it.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oryan77 View Post
    R974

Can anyone stat out and price a 3.5e magic item like this:

A smith hammer that contains a trapped fire elemental inside of it. The hammer head is transparent and you can see the elemental trapped inside. When the smith is ready to work, the elemental "flames-on" to ignite the hammer head to give it an extra kick (reduces the cost of crafting magic items at half the XP). The item is an intelligent item since the smith can communicate with the elemental.

That's the gist of it. I'm not against tweaking it.
    Q974
    What should the relationship between the elemental and the smith be?

Should it be ego challenges between the elemental wanting to be free, and the smith wanting to make stuff at reduced XP cost?

Or does the elemental instead want to get work done, or something else, in accordance with the item's "special purpose"?

Or is this more of a "Diplomacy and Roleplay" thing than Ego tests and special purposes?

Reducing XP costs is pretty powerful. There is a feat that reduces the costs by 25% in Ebberon. Still, this is not unreasonable.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #986
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Q974
    What should the relationship between the elemental and the smith be?

Should it be ego challenges between the elemental wanting to be free, and the smith wanting to make stuff at reduced XP cost?

Or does the elemental instead want to get work done, or something else, in accordance with the item's "special purpose"?

Or is this more of a "Diplomacy and Roleplay" thing than Ego tests and special purposes?

Reducing XP costs is pretty powerful. There is a feat that reduces the costs by 25% in Ebberon. Still, this is not unreasonable.
    C974

I'm assuming this will be quite an expensive item. I actually plan to also give a Portable Forge to the same player (I'm the DM). I'm not very concerned though about the price or the XP reducing benefits. This player is not the sort to take advantage of something and powergame it. I think he is actually making his Fighter PC a bit underpowered by his choices (not that I'm complaining). So it could be a good "reward" for him.

The fire elemental has been trapped in the hammer and forced to serve the wielder while smithing. I'd say it doesn't try to resist doing its job. I didn't give it much thought yet about ego or it's personality. I'm thinking it would be willing to serve and want to get the job done.

It's more of a roleplaying thing. I don't really want the player to be hassled in any way. Although, any ideas you have for spicing it up to make it more interesting for a player is more than welcome. Giants are his favored enemy. So giants could be the elementals favored enemy. Maybe the item has the giantbane property and can also grant items it creates the giantbane property?
    Last edited by Oryan77; 2013-10-21 at 06:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

C974

I'm assuming this will be quite an expensive item. I actually plan to also give a Portable Forge to the same player (I'm the DM). I'm not very concerned though about the price or the XP reducing benefits. This player is not the sort to take advantage of something and powergame it. I think he is actually making his Fighter PC a bit underpowered by his choices (not that I'm complaining). So it could be a good "reward" for him.

The fire elemental has been trapped in the hammer and forced to serve the wielder while smithing. I'd say it doesn't try to resist doing its job. I didn't give it much thought yet about ego or it's personality. I'm thinking it would be willing to serve and want to get the job done.

It's more of a roleplaying thing. I don't really want the player to be hassled in any way. Although, any ideas you have for spicing it up to make it more interesting for a player is more than welcome. Giants are his favored enemy. So giants could be the elementals favored enemy. Maybe the item has the giantbane property and can also grant items it creates the giantbane property?
    C974
    So this would be a weapon, not just a tool?

I've got some ideas... might be a good place to show-case the a few of my more obscure weapon enchantment ideas. (Note to self: Durable and Mole).

What level is the PC who is getting this?

One-handed hammer? I'm thinking "sometimes"

For a medium creature? I'm thinking "Sometimes"

Who has owned it in the past, and/or what languages might it have been exposed to?

I'm thinking that the elemental might have learned a lot during its time in its transparent prison. I might give it a few levels of Expert (or a homebrew 0 BAB version of that, or just ad hoc it, or...) and maxed ranks in Spot and Listen (hey it is bored, it watches the world), Diplomacy and maybe Bluff and Sense Motive (it likes to talk to people when it can for entertainment). And, of course Armor-smith and Weaponsmith and such (and probably give it Juuust enough control over the hammer that it can Aid Another).

Actually... let me just stat what I have in mind out really fast... this is probably WAY to awesome and complicated, so just tell me what you like...secretly hoping for "EVERYTHING!", but that probably won't be the case.

Lesser Hammer of Haephestus

This hammer contains a Small Fire Elemental named Fwoosh (hey, most Fire Elementals don't even HAVE names) inside its crystaline head. Fwoosh is an 8th level expert with the following Ability scores:
    Dex 13, Int 18 (including 2 points from leveling up and 6 from and enhancement bonus built into the weapon itself), Wis 14, Charisma 11
    11 ranks each in each of:
    Spot, Listen, Craft(Blacksmith), Craft(Weaponsmith), Craft(Armorsmith), Diplomacy, Speak Language, Spellcraft
    8 in Craft(Jeweler)
    7 ranks each in Bluff and Sense Motive

Feats: Skill Focus in Craft(Blacksmith), Craft(Weaponsmith), and Craft(Armorsmith)

Languages: Common, Ignan, Terran, Dwarven, Gnomish, Elven, Giant, and a few more which would be based on its past owners.

This item qualifies as a masterwork tool, provides a + 4 enhancement bonus to any crafting done primarily with it as the tool (a forge and anvil don't count, nor do chisels or punches struck with it).

In addition, Fwoosh can provide Aid Another bonuses (note that his modifiers are high enough that he automatically succeeds in any craftingskill he actually has ranks in). HOWEVER these bonuses ONLY apply to determining if craft checks are successful NOT when multiplying by the DC to determine how much progress is made. This is because Fwoosh can only help guide the hammer, not move it himself (but see below).

Once per year, the OWNER (not wielder) can speak a mystic phrase. If Fwoosh cannot hear it then nothing happens and the activation is not wasted. If Fwoosh hears it, then total control over the hammer is granted to him and it can fly and attack on its own, vaguely like a dancing weapon. The hammer need not remain close to it owner and remains animated for 2 weeks. In this form it gains a limited form of telekinesis suitable for moving items to be worked and other tools around. The most common use of this ability is for rush jobs of great importance, and the second most common use is as a nasty surprise for thieves (Fwoosh shouts for help because he is being stolen, then the owner shouts the release phrase).

(see below for size changing, remembering that much smaller hammers are useful for crafting than are for combat). In addition, it can shape-shift to function as any sort of crafting hammer. Ball-peen, dead-blow (although Fwoosh doens't like being surrounded by the liquid that this conjures even though it does him no actual harm), straight-peen, cross-peen, etc. Its faces re-smooth themselves 1 second after ordinary nicks and such from normal crafting use. ((If you don't get all this, don't worry about it. Someone who really knows metalworking with hammers, or just hammers would be nodding sagely and saying "mildly cool" if not "very cool!".))

In battle this hammer functions as a +1 Durable(5) Mole weapon. It appears to be a flaming weapon, but its flames are much more expansive and steady. It deals a static 5 points of damage, with an extra 20 points of virtual damage that only counts for getting those 5 points past fire resistance. If it misses as an attack, then consider the attack as if it was a touch attack with an additional +1 to hit, if that hits, then the flames leap from the hammer to the target, dealingthe 5(+20) points of fire damage ONLY.

It can expand and shrink to be sized as a Warhammer for a creature of as small as tiny size, or as large as Huge. Alternatively it can function as a War-maul for a creature of up to Large size.

I mahy be forgetting a lot, and I am feeling lazy, or I would have linked you to what Durable and Mole do. Suffice to say that neither of them is very useful, but both are very flavorful.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-10-21 at 10:58 PM.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #988
    Dwarf in the Playground

C974

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    C974
    So this would be a weapon, not just a tool?
    Since it is a hammer, I figured it may as well be available as a weapon. But I prefer something low-key since I don't want this item to overshadow the weapon he plans to make to use in battle. I thought this hammer could act as nothing better than a +1 Flaming weapon.

I've got some ideas... might be a good place to show-case the a few of my more obscure weapon enchantment ideas. (Note to self: Durable and Mole).
    I can't give my opinion on that since I don't know what they do. I would rather not use too much homebrew special properties unless they really fit the flavor of this item.

What level is the PC who is getting this?
    One-handed hammer? I'm thinking "sometimes"
    For a medium creature? I'm thinking "Sometimes"
    He'll be about 6th level by the time he gets it, or close to 6th level. He's a dwarf, and for simplicity sake, I think it should stay sized to a medium creature (preferably used by dwarves).

Who has owned it in the past, and/or what languages might it have been exposed to?
    I haven't worked out a history yet. Feel free to suggest anything in that regard. My initial thought was that it was created by a Fire Giant, which is why it hates giants. Then somehow or another, it ends up in the hands of Clangeddin himself, or a proxy of his.

this is probably WAY to awesome and complicated, so just tell me what you like...
    So this is created as a mix of an NPC and magic item? Does it have to have levels like an NPC or can it just have the Int/Wis/Cha scores of an intelligent item in order to keep the cost down? The less it can actually help as an NPC, the better. I think with all of those skills, the price shoots up. I could give it more skills and powers as the PC levels though.

The Dancing Weapon quality could be spiffy later on when the PC levels and creates his new weapons. He'll still get to wield his own axes while the hammer attacks. So the hammer won't outshine his own blades. But I can't use this property early on.

I don't think I would go with the telekinesis power.

I do like the idea that it can shapeshift into other forging hammers. So even turning into a sledge hammer would be ok, but only for forging (not combat).

Also, for simplicity sake, I would just give it the flaming property rather than a static fire damage. I'd like to give it the Giantbane property, but that would turn it into a +3 weapon which is much to expensive for a 6th level PC.

Thanks for all the effort you put in it so far!

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

C974

I really need to remember to put in the 50% reduction in the XP costs for crafting.
    C974

Since it is a hammer, I figured it may as well be available as a weapon. But I prefer something low-key since I don't want this item to overshadow the weapon he plans to make to use in battle. I thought this hammer could act as nothing better than a +1 Flaming weapon.
    That is basically what I have it as actually, perhaps with the "fire damage if your attack would have hit as a touch attack" delayed a few levels. I'll dial it down to 3 points though, at least initially.
    I can't give my opinion on that since I don't know what they do. I would rather not use too much homebrew special properties unless they really fit the flavor of this item.
    Durable makes helps ensure it survives attempts to destroy it. Good for long-term, flavorful items like this.

He'll be about 6th level by the time he gets it, or close to 6th level. He's a dwarf, and for simplicity sake, I think it should stay sized to a medium creature (preferably used by dwarves).

I haven't worked out a history yet. Feel free to suggest anything in that regard. My initial thought was that it was created by a Fire Giant, which is why it hates giants. Then somehow or another, it ends up in the hands of Clangeddin himself, or a proxy of his.
    I can work with that. Don't expect too much out of me on its history, especially since most of the reason I cared was so I could pick Fwoosh's languages, which will be fewer if I remove class levels.

So this is created as a mix of an NPC and magic item? Does it have to have levels like an NPC or can it just have the Int/Wis/Cha scores of an intelligent item in order to keep the cost down? The less it can actually help as an NPC, the better. I think with all of those skills, the price shoots up. I could give it more skills and powers as the PC levels though.
    Well, it is trapped inside the head of the hammer, and can't be extracted without destroying the hammer, and possibly killing it. That means that it can help with crafting checks (Aid Another... mostly a flavor thing really since I could just add +2 to the competence bonus it provides for almost exactly the same effect).

Beyond that, it is mostly only good for shouting a warning if it makes its spot or listen check before an ambush. Maybe translating and diplomacy... but translating is something that just keeps the game simpler. Pick which languages he knows carefully to make stuff that you want to be easy easy, and stuff you want them to have to blow a Tongues on hard.

Really, if you leave smithing out of it, a human commoner who is missing a hand with very high CON, and Int, decent Dex and Wisdom, wearing a chain shirt and a tower shield (on the arm that is missing a hand) without who always takes total defense in combat and has Improved Toughness/Lightning Reflexes/Great Fortitude/Iron Will would be more useful than Fwoosh is as an NPC.

The Dancing Weapon quality could be spiffy later on when the PC levels and creates his new weapons. He'll still get to wield his own axes while the hammer attacks. So the hammer won't outshine his own blades. But I can't use this property early on.
    Well, depending on the campaign's pacing you could say that the 1/year dancing period was expended right before he got the hammer...
    Perhaps the hammer was payment for helping another magical smith who got in over his head with a huge job during which the hammer had to be used it is maximum capacity.
    I don't think I would go with the telekinesis power.
    Eh, that only applies while it is "dancing" and is mostly a fluff ability anyway... Think a more dexterous Mage Hand that doesn't require Fwoosh's concentration. That way he can actually pick up the item he is working on to move it between the forge-fire and the anvil (might not be necessary with the flaming aspect), and/or a chisel or punch. Smithing is a job for two hands, not one. The hammer itself is one hand worth, but it needs another to actually be able to work well, and having a lesser smith holding the tongs and chisel would just making things clumsy.
    I do like the idea that it can shapeshift into other forging hammers. So even turning into a sledge hammer would be ok, but only for forging (not combat).
    Right... I can keep those as out of combat abilities only... although if it used to be owned by a giant then technically it would be very odd that it makes a good 1 handed weapon for a medium creature, but not a large one.
    Also, for simplicity sake, I would just give it the flaming property rather than a static fire damage.
    Err? Static fire damage is harder to remember because it is more unique, but not having to roll that die actually makes things SIMPLER, and it is more flavorful in that this is supposed to be a steady and controlled flame for heating metal so you don't need a forge, or at least can get another few hammer-strikes in before you need to stick the work back in the forge-fire.

Not that fire damage/round translates well to BTUs/sec or whatever thermal unit you want to use, but that is more that it is hard to say what the conversion factor is, rather than that they aren't actually related concepts.
    I'd like to give it the Giantbane property, but that would turn it into a +3 weapon which is much to expensive for a 6th level PC.
    Maybe that can come later?
    Thanks for all the effort you put in it so far!
    You are welcome.

I will edit in Version 0.2 here when I get around to it... or post it separately if it takes me too long.

Notes: I've toned down his stats and level. If you want me to reduce his diplomacy bonus that should be easy to do, especially if I drop his Int a bit more.

Remember that he has total cover inside the head of the hammer.

Have explicitly stated that Fwoosh's class levels replace his racial HD.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-10-22 at 05:40 PM.
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

H974 Version 0.2

Lesser Hammer of Haephestus

This hammer contains a Small Fire Elemental named Fwoosh (hey, most Fire Elementals don't even HAVE names) inside its crystaline head. Do not use the Ego mechanic for interactions with this weapon/Fwoosh. Use standard roleplaying methods.

Fwoosh starts off as a 4th level expert(REPLACING his racial HD) and may only ever gain levels in that class. Some of his initial stats are as follows:
    Strength 10*, Dex 13, Con 14**, Int 15 (including 1 points from leveling up and 6 from an enhancement bonus built into the weapon itself), Wis 14, Charisma 8
    Starts with the following skill ranks
    7 ranks each in each of Spot, Listen, Craft(Blacksmith), Craft(Weaponsmith), Craft(Armorsmith), Spellcraft. Will always keep these maxed, with exceptions for Spot and Listen.
    4 ranks each in Craft(Jeweler), and Diplomacy. Fwoosh will probably keep advancing Craft(Jeweler) by at least 1 per level until he has at least a +9 modifier, so he can always succeed on his Aid Another checks. Even after this, he is likely to keep putting occasional point in it.
    2 ranks each in Sense Motive, Speak Language
    2 skill points in Bluff(cc)
    *This won't effect anything for a few levels.
    **I think this may never effect anything since he doesn't need to sleep anyway, he has no SLAs that would require Concentration checks, the crafting rules don't cover pulling all-nighters, and he has full cover inside the hammer, can't get out without destroying the hammer and probably also killing him.

Note that he can be further enhanced by enchanting the hammer, and that this ignores item slot requirements. This gains the 50% reduction in XPs as if the hammer were used to enchant itself. Note that the hammer's fortitude and reflex saves are NOT based on his saves, but the will save IS (as is standard for intelligent items). ((I suggest that the player give him resistance bonuses and wisdom enhancements if his will save seems to be getting too low.)).

Feats: Skill Focus in Craft(Armorsmith), and Craft(Weaponsmith). Later feats will be:
    6th Skill Focus(Craft[Blacksmith])
    9th Skill Focus(Craft[Jeweler])
    12th Iron Will
    15th Player's Choice
    18th Player's Choice

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant, Ignan, Terran

5' Dark Vision. Fwoosh is not completely in-tune with the hammer in this regard, and thus its surface still mostly blocks his dark vision.

Other improvements with level that are defensive in nature include the following:
    {table=head]Expert Lvl|Dark Vision|Defensive Caster Level|Hardness|hp|F/R|Will
    4-5| 5' | 10 | 14 |36|+7|+6
    6-7| 5' | 15 | 16 |42|+9|+7
    8-9| 10' | 20 | 18 |48|+12|+8
    10-11| 15' | 27 | 20 |54|+15|+9
    12-13| 25' | 32(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+18|+12
    14-15| 35' | 32(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19|+13
    16-17| 50' | 32(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19|+14
    18-19| 60' | 32(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19|+15
    [/table]

Elemental Traits (simplified for the specific case)
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
    • Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
    • Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
    • Proficient with natural weapons and the hammer itself.
    • Not Proficient with armor or shields (his expert levels don't help because he got them AFTER he was trapped and thus had no way of training in such things).
    • Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Fwoosh's level is always X levels below the highest experience level its owner has achieved, provided its owner allows it to gain levels. ((X is equal to the level of the character when you give him this item -4. The giant wanted to keep Fwoosh under strict control, since they had an adversarial relationship, and thus never let Fwoosh advance past 4th level))

This item qualifies as a masterwork tool. Any crafting done primarily with it as the tool (a forge and anvil don't count, nor do chisels or punches struck with it) gains a +4 competence bonus to crafting checks, and any XP costs for crafting or upgrading a magic item whose mundane construction is/was accomplished in such a fashion has its XP cost halved.

Fwoosh can provide Aid Another bonuses (note that his modifiers are high enough that he automatically succeeds in any crafting skill except Jeweler he actually has ranks in). HOWEVER this bonus ONLY applies to determining if craft checks are successful NOT when multiplying by the DC to determine how much progress is made. This is because Fwoosh can only help guide the hammer, not move it himself (but see below).

All told, this item provides a +8 bonus to Armorsmithing, Blacksmithing, and Weaponsmithing checks provided it is the primary tool, and either +6 or +8 bonus to Jeweler checks, depending on if Fwoosh rolls higher than a 3 on his check (including, in some cases, by taking 10), again provided it is the primary tool.

In addition, it can shape-shift to function as any sort of crafting hammer. Ball-peen, dead-blow (although Fwoosh doens't like being surrounded by the liquid that this conjures even though it does him no actual harm), straight-peen, cross-peen, etc. Its faces re-smooth themselves 1 second after ordinary nicks and such from normal crafting use. See below for the limits on the utility of this in combat. ((If you don't get the stuff about peens and such, don't worry about it. Someone who really knows metalworking with hammers would be nodding sagely and saying "mildly cool" if not "very cool!".))

Once per year, the OWNER (not wielder) can speak a mystic phrase. If Fwoosh cannot hear it then nothing happens and the activation is not wasted. If Fwoosh hears it, then total control over the hammer is granted to him and it can fly and attack on its own, vaguely like a dancing weapon. The hammer need not remain close to it owner and remains animated for 2 weeks. In this form it gains a limited form of telekinesis suitable for moving items to be worked and other tools around. The most common use of this ability is for rush jobs of great importance, and the second most common use is as a nasty surprise for thieves (Fwoosh shouts for help because he is being stolen, then the owner shouts the release phrase).

In battle this hammer initially functions as a +1 Durable(1) Warhammer or light hammer for a creature of large size or smaller. It appears to be a flaming weapon, but its flames are much more expansive and steady. It deals a static 2 points of damage, with an extra 5 points of virtual damage that only counts for getting those 2 points past fire resistance. If it misses as an attack, then consider the attack as if it was a touch attack with an additional +1 to hit, if that hits, then the flames leap from the hammer to the target, dealing the 2(+5) points of fire damage ONLY.

As Fwoosh gains more levels in Expert, the powers of the hammer he lives in increase as well. Note especially that if he has 8 levels of expert then the hammer can be enlarged to the shape of a warmaul for a medium creature. Note that (for simplicity) I am treating it as a one handed metal-hafted weapon at all times. I also am assuming that "Lesser Bane" has a minimum caster level of 5 and am fudging it on the CL for the fire effect. See HERE for basic information on weapon hardnesses and hitpoints.
    {table=head]Expert Lvl|Real Damage|Virtual Damage|Special Properties
    4-5| 2 | 5 |Durable(x1) | 5' | 10 | 14 |36|+7|+6
    6-7| 2 | 10 |Durable(x2), Lesser Bane(Giant)[+1/+1d6] | 5' | 15 | 16 |42|+9|
    8-9| 2 | 15 |Durable(x3), Lesser Bane(Giant), (Warmaul*) | 10' | 20 | 18 |48|+12
    10-11| 3 | 15 |Durable(x4), Lesser Bane(Giant), Mole*, (Warmaul*),**| 15' | 27 | 20 |54|+15
    12-13| 3 | 20 |Durable(x5), Lesser Bane(Giant), Mole*, (Warmaul*),**| 25' | 32(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+18
    14-15| 4 | 20 |Durable(x5), Lesser Bane(Giant), Mole*, (Warmaul*),**| 35' | 35(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19
    16-17| 4 | 20 |Bane(Giant), Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*),** | 50' | 35(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19
    18-19| 5 | 25 |Bane(Giant), Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*),** | 60' | 35(Minor Artifact) | 22 |60|+19
    [/table]
    *The wielder can turn this on and off with a standard action.
    ** Counts as Adamintine for purposes of overcoming hardness and damage reduction.

And here are the levels you probably won't use:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Expert Lvl|Real Damage|Virtual Damage|Special Properties |Defensive Caster Level|
    20-21| 6 | 30 |Bane(Giant)[+2/+2d6], Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*)
    22-23| 7 |Ignores Fire Resistance/Immunity|Bane(Giant)[+2/+2d6], Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*)
    24-25| 8 |Ignores Fire Resistance/Immunity|Greater Bane(Giant)[+3/+3d6], Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*)
    24-25| 9 |Ignores Fire Resistance/Immunity|counts as Epic for DR etc, Greater Bane(Giant)[+3/+3d6], Durable(x5), Mole*, (Warmaul*)
    [/table]

Durable (already taken into account, just by some of the columns on the table for the most part)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Durable
    For each level of this enhancement placed on a weapon or armor, the effective caster level for determining the weapons saving throws, vulnerability to being suppressed by Dispel Magic, and other such issues that would impair, damage, or destroy the weapon is increased by 5. These extra levels do not effect how the item appears to Detect Magic, Arcane Sight, etc.

The hardness of the weapon is also increased by twice the degree of this enhancement, and the number of hitpoints increased by 20%.

If 5 levels of this enhancement are placed on an item, then it qualifies as a minor artifact for purposes of effects that would impair, damage, or destroy it.
    Faint to Strong Transmutation; Caster level 5th; Craft Magical Weapons and Armor; Price +1 or higher bonus.

Mole
    Spoiler
    Show

Most (all in the case of a projectile) of this weapon passes through worked and unworked earth and stone (including UNworked metal) like it wasn't there (cf brilliant energy). This allows the use of big weapons without penalty in narrow tunnels. There are two styles of this. One leaves the grip area as the unenchanted portion. The other has a rock shaped protrusion for the pommel or as a feature on the non-attacking. This makes for the occasional bruised knuckles when a strike goes a little too far into a wall, but allows dropping the weapon on bare rock or dirt to appear unarmed (just a rock laying there...). For projectiles this turns cover into concealment in many cases, and even blind fire through a castle wall can be pretty demoralizing (or even effective with flame arrows). In any case, back-up weapons are a must in case of earth elementals, and stone and clay golems.
    Faint Transmutation; Caster level 3rd; Craft Magical Weapons and Armor; Price 2,000 gp.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-10-22 at 09:10 PM.
    Extended Signature