New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralasha View Post
    Unfortunately: 'There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page.'
    Thats strange it works perfectly fine on my computer.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

R 755 I don't know if this is specifically a homebrew, so much as it is taking something that already exists and tweaking it to make it into something different.

In Kobold Quarterly, issue 6, there was an article about crab divination (the telling of the future via the use of crabs). The idea fascinated me and they provided stats for the crabs in question, but there was one issue. The crab's stats had it as an animal and I'd prefer for it to be a vermin.

If anybody is interested in helping me out, here are the stats for the creature as a guide:

Spoiler
    Show
    Garrotter Crab
    Tiny Animal
    Hit Dice:
    1d8+2 (6 hit points)
    Initiative: +0.
    Speed: 20 feet (4 squares), swim 20 feet (4 squares).
    Armour Class: 17 (+2 size, +1 Dexterity, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16.
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-2.
    Attack: Barbed pincer +0 melee (1d6-2).
    Full Attack: Barbed pincer +0 melee (1d6-2) and pincer -5 (1d2-2).
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 feet by 0 feet.
    Special Attacks: Constrict 1d3, improved grab.
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision.
    Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +0.
    Abilities: Strength 6, Dexterity 12, Constitution 14, Intelligence 1, Wisdom 10, Charisma 2.
    Skills: Climb +1, Hide +14, Spot +2, Swim +1.
    Feats: Weapon Focus [barbed pincer].
    Environment: Aquatic coastal.
    Organisation: Solitary, pair, pack (3-8) or pod (9-20).
    Challenge Rating: 1/2.
    Treasure: None.
    Alignment: Always neutral.
    Advancement: 2-4 Hit Dice (Medium-sized), 5-6 Hit Dice (Large).
    Level Adjustment: -

Constrict (Ex): A garrotter crab deals 1d3 points of damage with a successful grapple check against a creature the same size or smaller. Because it seizes its victim by the neck, a creature in the garotter crab's grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a garrotter crab hits a creature the same size or smaller with a barbed pincer attack, it can start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Garotter crabs gain a +8 racial bonus on grapple checks (included in the statblock above)

Skills: Garrotter crabs recieve a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks while in an environment that contains river rocks and recieve a +2 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks.
    Last edited by Blynkibrax; 2012-04-01 at 10:07 AM.
    Ut Abyssus per orbis terrarum.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

R756

I have a bard, and I had kind of a weird idea. Would it be possible, and how much would it cost, for him to obtain or make a 6-string guitar with the following spells imbued on strings made from magic:

Red String: Dancing Lights
    Orange String: Flare
    Yellow String: Shocking Grasp w/5 ft. range.
    Green String: Acid Splash
    Blue String: Ray of Frost
    Purple String: Mage Hand

If possible, I'd like to get prices for 3/day on the spells and at-will. The guitar would do nothing else but provide an instrument and alternate means of amplification, as well as a cool way to fit playing Santana into our gaming sessions.

4. - Top - End - #154

H756

It should cost 3700 gp for its Market Price for the three per day. If you want I could stat up the whole thing.

At will version should be 6100 gp.

Note: The base item for this was a Masterwork Musical instrument, so it grants +2 on all performance checks with it, in addition to its magical effects.

To make the 3/day version you would have to pay 1850 in gp.

To make the at-will version you would have to pay 3050 in gp.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-11 at 08:17 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Blynkibrax View Post
    R 755 I don't know if this is specifically a homebrew, so much as it is taking something that already exists and tweaking it to make it into something different.

In Kobold Quarterly, issue 6, there was an article about crab divination (the telling of the future via the use of crabs). The idea fascinated me and they provided stats for the crabs in question, but there was one issue. The crab's stats had it as an animal and I'd prefer for it to be a vermin.
    C & H 755

Actually making them vermin isn't going to change their stats much except make them a little weaker. Swim speeds aren't given in squares because of vertical movement (same for burrow, climb, and fly speeds).

I also own a copy of KQ 6, so I went to the source. It actually looks like there is a mistake in the original stat block. The modifier on the crab is +2 racial modifier on Swim, but because it has a Swim speed the modifier should be +8. The original author forgot about this.

A creature with a swim speed can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. The creature can always can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. The creature can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    Type change to Vermin. , HD and BAB aren't changed and skills and feat stay the same as long as it still has Int 1 and you don't make them mindless. Vermin don't have good Reflex saves so reduce it by 2 and change low-light vision to darkvision. That's about it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-12 at 09:56 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

R757

I was wondering if someone could make me a Death Weasel. I'd like it to still be tiny, non-magical, and a CR of 5-10.Perhaps with bonuses to it's grappling and bite damage(vampire-esque drain effect maybe) either way as long as it's size is tiny, it's non-magical, and a CR between five and ten I'll be happy.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2012-04-13 at 03:42 PM.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

7. - Top - End - #157

H757

Death Weasel

{table]Size/Type:|Tiny Animal
    Hit Dice:|2d8 (16 hp)
    Initiative:|7
    Speed:|60 ft. (12 squares), climb 60 ft.
    Armor Class:|22 (+2 size, +7 Dex, +3 natural), touch 20, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple:|1/-11
    Attack:|Bite +10 melee ( 1d3-4 + 1d2 con)
    Full Attack:|Bite +10 melee ( 1d3-4 + 1d2 con)
    Space/Reach:|2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks:|Attach, Blood Drain
    Special Qualities:|Low-light vision, scent, Mindless Hunger, Recovery
    Saves:|Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +3
    Abilities:|Str 3, Dex 25, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Skills:|Balance +15, Climb +15, Hide +16, Move Silently +14
    Feats:|Iron Will, Weapon FinesseB
    Environment:|Temperate hills
    Organization:|Solitary
    Challenge Rating:|5[/table]

Death Weasels were carefully bred (perhaps with a touch of magic) by a mad druid seeking to terrify settlers of what had been a wilderness. He succeeded, but once the settlers were gone the weasels bred out of control and devastated the local ecosystem, exterminating many native species. He was working on a predator to control the Death Weasels when a saner druid slew him. Now the Death Weasel is a part of a restabilized ecosystem, and the druids ensure it does not spread elsewhere.

Attach
    A Death Weasel that hits with its bite attack may choose to hold on. An attached Death Weasel can be ripped off with a melee touch attack followed by a dc 25 strength check.

Blood Drain
    If a Death Weasel is already attached, it may drain the victims blood causing 1d6 con damage.

Recovery
    For every point of con a Death Weasel inflicts (either with its bite attack or its Blood Drain special attack), a Death Weasel heals two points of damage. A Death Weasel cannot heal beyond its starting point.

Mindless Hunger
    A Death Weasel's hunger overrides all other thoughts. A Weasel is treated as mindless when it is advantageous to it.

Skills
    Death Weasels have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. They use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks. A Death Weasel can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

R 758

I have a request for a homebrew spell. The 2nd Edition book Tome of Magic features the Wand of Misplaced Objects. This items rearranges all the target's gear: a magic bracelet is now around your ankle, your sword ends up in your backpack, etc. In that most noble of 2nd Edition traditions "The DM is encouraged to be devious. The more items, the greater the trouble".

My attempts to make a 3.5 version of the spell have all failed. Increasing Armor Check penalties seems too weak, transferring your spell components to your socks seems too strong. I've fiddled with speed reduction, skill penalties, and armor penalties, but my results are never satisfactory.

I would like it to be a Wizard/Sorcerer spell of level 2 or 3. It should be usable at range. It should have no effect on creatures without gear. Other than that, I'm stumped. I hope you guys can help me out.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

R 759

If someone were to make a reasonably-balanced (LA +0 equivalent, or fairly close) playable version of the leshy for Pathfinder, I would be very appreciative.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

So. This evening I had the basic concept for a prestige class I'd love to play, and would make it myself had I the talent to make it balanced. I'll give all the specifications I can, and let whoever wants to take it from there.

The Meta-Mage
    Prerequisites:
    Doesn't matter, approximately 6th level.

Info:
    By taking the first level of this prestige class, your character realizes that he is actually living in a game. He does what anyone would do, and immediately seeks to abuse it as much as possible. His class features represent gaining new knowledge to allow him to abuse the fact that he is living in a game.
    This would be a 10 level prestige class.
    I ask for your help because I wanted this to end up balanced, and not the awful jumble it'll be if I try and make it work myself. Any takers?

EDIT: C 760
    Last edited by Das Platyvark; 2012-04-22 at 03:58 PM.
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."

11. - Top - End - #161

H759

Leshies are nature spirits bound to small plant-like bodies. They are usually created by senior druids, but sometimes form spontaneously in areas of high magic. Leshies usually have a vaguely humanoid pattern to them, with two arm-like clusters of branches and some head-like branches on top where their eyes are.

Leshy traits:
    • Small -- +1 AC and attack, +4 hide
    • Abilities: -2 str, +2 dex, +2 con, -2 int, -2 cha
    • Damage reduction: 5/- because their bodies are made of wood
    • Photosynthesis: a Leshy who spends the day outdoors need not eat, though he still must drink normally
    • Skills: Leshies have a +16 bonus to disguising themselves as ordinary plants. Since their branches aren't really hands, they take a -4 penalty on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Common, Druidic.
    • Plant Type
    • Favored Class: ranger

Leshy Feats (only Leshies can take these):

Extra Branches
    You grow extra branches equivalent to one more arm. You make take this feat more than once, each time creating a new "arm". Leshies who do not take this feat have two "arm"s.

Thorns
    Gain primary natural weapons that do 1d6 piercing damage. The number of weapons is equal to the number of your "arm"s. Anyone who grapples you takes 1d6 piercing damage (no save).

Bark
    Gain natural armor +2. You may take this feat multiple times. Each time gain an additional +2 as your bark becomes thicker.

Gourd
    You grow a gourd in which you may conceal a diminutive object. Objects inside the gourd are immune to all divinitive magic.

Creepers
    You grow long hairy tendrils good for attaching to things. Gain a climb speed of 5 ft, a +8 racial bonus on climb checks, the ability to take 10 on climb checks when threatened, and the ability to base climb checks on dex rather than strength.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C 758

The wand's effects would be from several spells not just one. That's why you aren't getting a satisfactory spell. It seems that it would not be a wand at all in 3.x. A wand contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. This would be a rod in 3.x

here is the original text as best as I can find:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of Misplaced Objects: This wand emits a multitude of golden orbs that rush toward a target creature. The orbs surround the victim and swirl around him wildly for 1 round. During this time the victim is confused and can take no action.

At the end of the round, the orbs vanish and the victim is free to act. He discovers, however, that all objects on his person have been moved. Some items are inconveniently located, while others are nowhere to be seen. A warrior might find his magical ring on one of his toes, his sword in his pants, his gold pieces in the sheath of his sword, and his breastplate on his head. The more possessions a victim owns, the more confused the situation becomes. The DM is encouraged to be devious.

Because of the chaotic placement of items, the victim suffers several penalties. Movement is reduced by half. Armor class of characters wearing armor is reduced by 2, since pieces are not worn properly. Attack rolls made by the victim are made at a -2 penalty. These penalties are eliminated if the victim devotes 2-5 rounds (1d4+1) to rearranging his gear.

A character requiring an item carried in a backpack, pouch, pocket, or other container must spend 2-12 (2d6) rounds searching for the item. This penalty is canceled if 3 turns are spent unpacking and repacking all gear.

The DM must define the locations of objects any time a character reaches for them or if they impair motion or sight. When deciding locations of objects, the DM should state the obvious effects of impaired sight and movement immediately, such as boots worn on hands or a cloak over the face.

Items held within a bag of holding, Heward's handy haversack, or other magical containers are unaffected. However, the containers themselves are subject to relocation.

The wand uses one charge per attack. It may be recharged.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-21 at 08:01 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    C 758

The wand's effects would be from several spells not just one. That's why you aren't getting a satisfactory spell. It seems that it would not be a wand at all in 3.x. A wand contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. This would be a rod in 3.x
    This is my first homebrew request, so perhaps I didn't quite get the point of the thread. My request for a spell has multiple reasons, most of which have to do with the way the game is played at my table.

As I stated, I have not succeeded in converting this thing to 3rd Edition. 3.5 has Armor Check penalties and Arcane Spell Failure, 2E does not (in fact, casting arcane spells in armor is impossible). 1d4+1 rounds repacking becomes a problem of a different magnitude, because a round in 2E is ten times as long as a round in 3.5. I failed, so I turned to the forum.

If it is impossible to create this as spell, OK. I failed, I can accept that other people will have the same result. But "It would be a Rod" is not quite the help I was looking for. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit? It's the effect, the result of getting hit with this magic that is the crunch of my problem, and I would very much like to read your thoughts (or anyone else's for that matter) on this matter.

In any case, thanks for looking into it.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

H 758

It is impossible to recreate a 2nd edition wand of misplaced objects with just one spell, which is why it cannot be a wand. It can however, be recreated as a rod.

Here are the 3.5 definitions of a wand and a rod:

Definition of a wand: A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. Each wand has 50 charges when created, and each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time. A wand that runs out of charges is just a stick.

A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes. A typical wand has AC 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16.

Definition of a rod:Rods are scepter-like devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod. Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds. They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.) These sturdy items have AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27.

Rod of Misplaced Objects

Activating a rod of misplaced objects is a standard action. The rod emits a multitude of golden orbs that rush toward a target creature. The orbs surround the victim and swirl around him wildly for 1 round. During this time the victim is confused and can take no action.

At the end of the round, the orbs vanish and the victim is free to act. He discovers, however, that all objects on his person have been moved. Some items are inconveniently located, while others are nowhere to be seen. A warrior might find his magical ring on one of his toes, his sword in his pants, his gold pieces in the sheath of his sword, and his breastplate on his head. The more possessions a victim owns, the more confused the situation becomes. The DM is encouraged to be devious.

Because of the chaotic placement of items, the victim suffers several penalties. Movement is reduced by half. Armor class of characters wearing armor is reduced by 2, since pieces are not worn properly. Attack rolls made by the victim are made at a -2 penalty. These penalties are eliminated if the victim devotes 2-5 rounds (1d4+1) to rearranging his gear.

A character requiring an item carried in a backpack, pouch, pocket, or other container must spend 2-12 (2d6) rounds searching for the item. This penalty is canceled if 3 turns are spent unpacking and repacking all gear.

The DM must define the locations of objects any time a character reaches for them or if they impair motion or sight. When deciding locations of objects, the DM should state the obvious effects of impaired sight and movement immediately, such as boots worn on hands or a cloak over the face.

Items held within a bag of holding, Heward's handy haversack, or other magical containers are unaffected. However, the containers themselves are subject to relocation.

Moderate Necromancy CL: 8th Prerequisites: Craft rod, confusion, lesser, bestow curse; Price: 11,000 gp

Debby

P.S. to respond to your last statements: Perhaps I do not understand why you were having so much trouble with this item in the first place. It is not that difficult to convert items from 2nd edition to 3rd edition. There was a Conversion Manual published by WotC that helps a lot. the following may help you when converting items from 2nd edition to 3rd edition:

"If a staff or wand has a unique power, it is now a rod."

"If the old casting time is less than 1 round, the spell’s new casting time is 1 action. If the old casting time is 1 round or more, the casting time is unchanged."

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-21 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added text

15. - Top - End - #165

H 758

It is impossible to recreate a 2nd edition wand of misplaced objects with just one spell, which is why it cannot be a wand. It can however, be recreated as a rod.

Here are the 3.5 definitions of a wand and a rod:

Definition of a wand: A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. Each wand has 50 charges when created, and each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time. A wand that runs out of charges is just a stick.

A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes. A typical wand has AC 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16.

Definition of a rod:Rods are scepter-like devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod. Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds. They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.) These sturdy items have AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27.

Rod of Misplaced Objects

Activating a rod of misplaced objects is a standard action. The rod emits a multitude of golden orbs that rush toward a target creature. The orbs surround the victim and swirl around him wildly for 1 round. During this time the victim is confused and can take no action.

Moderate Necromancy CL: 8th Prerequisites: Craft rod, confusion, lesser, bestow curse; Price: 11,000 gp

Debby

P.S. to respond to your last statements: Perhaps I do not understand why you were having so much trouble with this item in the first place. It is not that difficult to convert items from 2nd edition to 3rd edition. There was a Conversion Manual published by WotC that helps a lot. the following may help you when converting items from 2nd edition to 3rd edition:

"If a staff or wand has a unique power, it is now a rod."

"If the old casting time is less than 1 round, the spell’s new casting time is 1 action. If the old casting time is 1 round or more, the casting time is unchanged."

I hope this helps.
    He was actually asking for a homebrew spell. That is why he said it being a rod isn't helpful. He wasn't aiming for conversion for a magic item.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

H 758

I actually think it wouldn't be too much trouble to adapt the spell description that Debihuman located and the Rod of Misplaced Things that Milo v3 just designed into a homebrew spell, right?

Something like this might work:

Mischievous Misplacement
    Conjuration (Teleportation)

Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 3
    Component: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One creature wearing at least two pieces of equipment
    Duration: One round
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: No

Malevolent green globes issue forth, surrounding and enveloping your victim. You watch, amused, as the globes evaporate, leaving your victim befuddled and clearly missing several important pieces of equipment.

The subject of this spell is surrounded by a mass of golden orbs, which swarm around him and obscure his vision for one round, rendering him confused for one round and preventing him from taking any action.

At the end of the round, the orbs vanish into the aether, leaving the victim free to act. However, held and worn items have been chaotically redistributed around his body. This imposes a -2 penalty to Armor Class and Reflex saves made by any target wearing light or heavier armor. This penalty can be removed by devoting 1d4 rounds removing and/or re-donning the armor.

If the target is wearing boots, a cloak, or similarly heavy pieces of clothing, there is a 75% chance that that these articles are misplaced, impairing the target's sight (such as a cloak covering his face) or movement (such as a hat worn on his feet). This imposes a -4 penalty to Dexterity checks and renders the target blinded unless the target spends 1 round discarding the offending items.

Any target who wishes to retrieve an item carried in a backpack, pouch, pocket, or other container must make a Search check (DC 10 + caster level + your Intelligence modifier) in order to find an item. This penalty can be removed by devoting 1d6 rounds unpacking and repacking all gear.

Items held within a bag of holding, Heward's Handy Haversack, or other magical containers are unaffected, but the containers themselves may be relocated by the spell.

Material Component: One banana peel
    I think this might be my first "homebrew" spell, so someone else here can probably punch it up if they have time.
    Last edited by Steward; 2012-04-21 at 09:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

H 758.

Spells should only have one descriptor. Causing confusion is Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]. While the rod would do that with lesser confusion, I'm not convinced that a misplaced objects spell needs to contain that.

Causing a victim's clothes to magically rearrange could easily be done with bestow curse and no additional spell would be necessary, but where is the fun in that? So a new spell is in order (not that it is worth the spell slot if you ask me).

Furthermore, I'm unconvinced that than teleportation rather than transmutation should be the basis of the spell, but that's nit-picky and we could argue that portion for far too long.

I'm reconsidering that now that I've looked over a bunch of transmutation spells. As a transportation spell, it is really weak.You aren't even transporting the clothes and equipment over a distance just rearranging them on the victim's body.

Taking your lead, here is an alternate version of the spell at a slightly lower power. I think I've seen a banana peel for another homebrewed spell and since that reminds me of the gag of someone falling, it didn't seem to fit with motif of this spell. It's been edited to death now and I think I'm done with it.

Here is the final edited version of the spell. It should be correct now.

Misplaced Objects
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. /2 levels)
    Target: Clothes and Equipment worn by one creature
    Duration: 1 round
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Golden orbs rush toward a target creature . The orbs surround the victim and swirl around him wildly for 1 round.

At the end of the round, the orbs vanish. The victim discovers that all objects on his person have been moved and some items are inconveniently located.

Because of the chaotic placement of items, the victim suffers several penalties:

• Movement is reduced by half.
    • Armor class of characters wearing armor is reduced by 2, since pieces are not worn properly.
    • Attack rolls made by the victim are made at a -2 penalty.

These penalties are eliminated if the victim devotes 2-5 rounds (1d4+1) to rearranging his clothing and gear.

Removing misplaced armor takes half the amount of time as removing normal armor (see table: donning armor). It takes the normal amount of time to don armor. 1

A character requiring an item carried in a backpack, pouch, pocket, or other container must spend 2-12 (2d6) rounds searching for the item. This penalty is canceled if 3 minutes are spent unpacking and repacking all gear.

Material Component: a pair of mismatched socks

1 http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm The donning armor table is at the bottom of the page.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-22 at 09:27 AM. Reason: reworked the spell some.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Das Platyvark View Post
    So. This evening I had the basic concept for a prestige class I'd love to play, and would make it myself had I the talent to make it balanced. I'll give all the specifications I can, and let whoever wants to take it from there.

The Meta-Mage
    Prerequisites:
    Doesn't matter, approximately 6th level.

Info:
    By taking the first level of this prestige class, your character realizes that he is actually living in a game. He does what anyone would do, and immediately seeks to abuse it as much as possible. His class features represent gaining new knowledge to allow him to abuse the fact that he is living in a game.

I ask for your help because I wanted this to end up balanced, and not the awful jumble it'll be if I try and make it work myself. Any takers?
    This is REQUEST 760 please edit your text to show your request number.

C 760

Would this be a 5 or 10 level Prestige class?

Debby

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! That looks a lot better written, and I feel like it captures the essence of the request much better than mine did. Did you mean to leave off the confusion effect? (If so, I agree -- it's probably not needed and would probably bump the spell level up too high).

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Thanks! That looks a lot better written, and I feel like it captures the essence of the request much better than mine did. Did you mean to leave off the confusion effect? (If so, I agree -- it's probably not needed and would probably bump the spell level up too high).
    Regarding the H758 Misplaced Objects spell: I purposefully left the confusion out. Trying to retrofit a 2nd edition item is doable but it usually isn't an an exact match.

Under the rules in 3rd edition, you could have a wand of misplaced objects (without the confusion) or a rod of misplaced objects (with the confusion) but you cannot have a wand with both the confusion and the misplaced objects as that would violate the wand having more than one spell on it.

So if one spell is confusion, lesser, the only thing left to retrofit was the misplaced magic spell. I know the original poster wanted a spell that completely mimicked the item, but that is just not possible. I did as much as was possible without breaking the rules of the game.

I really owe you a big favor because I had no idea where to start with the spell and you had a really good idea. Thank you for letting me play with it. The more I play with things, the more I realize just how flexible 3.5 is and how much I really enjoy it.

Debby

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

H 758

An excellent spell
    Wow. That is just what I wanted. I especially like the use of the Search skill. How to find the item you need gave me such headaches, and you solved it in a simple and elegant way. Nail - hammer - wham.

H 758.

Another version of my request
    You made me an item, absorbed the ideas of Steward, and combined it into yet another version of my request. I am humbled by the sheer amount of time and effort you (and Steward!) have put in. I regret that I have but one internet to give out. You will have to share it, I guess, along with my eternal gratitude. Thanks!

PS About the text of the original item from the Tome of Magic: I do indeed have that book. But when dealing with copyrighted material, I prefer to err on the side of caution, so I decided not to post it. Perhaps I was a bit too cautious.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

R 761

I need one of these:
    Spoiler
    Show

with as low a CR as possible (ideally in the CR 1-2 range). one of my players bought one last campaign...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bindrune courtesy of Starfols. Request yours here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Could you touch the sound you heard in the vision you saw from the flavor you tasted from a color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    2 + 2 = fish
    50 gp = +2
    2 + (50 gp) = fish
    50 gp = fish – 2
    sickened = – 2
    50 gp = fish + sickened
    Sick fish are 50 gp

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that from a game or a show or anything? Does it have a name or a function?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Is that from a game or a show or anything? Does it have a name or a function?
    they're puppets from the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bindrune courtesy of Starfols. Request yours here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Could you touch the sound you heard in the vision you saw from the flavor you tasted from a color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    2 + 2 = fish
    50 gp = +2
    2 + (50 gp) = fish
    50 gp = fish – 2
    sickened = – 2
    50 gp = fish + sickened
    Sick fish are 50 gp

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

H 761
    I think this is an okay start. Can a more experienced homebrewer please check to see if everything's in order? (I'm especially concerned about the CR!)

Spoiler
    Show
    Skull Puppet
    Medium Construct
    Hit Dice: 5d10+20 (48 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 feet (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
    Attack: slam +1 melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +1 melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Construct traits
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 5, Cha 1
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4) or troupe (5-10)
    CR: 2
    Treasure: Half standard
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 6 - 10 (Medium)

These puppets are the creations of the Skull Kid, conjured forth whenever he blows his horn. They carry out his bidding.

Combat:
    Puppets are most dangerous when they can surround foes, wearing them down with under a barrage of attacks.

EDIT 1: increasing HD from 1 to 5.

I'm not really familiar with this game though. From how I understood the article you linked to, the bad guy can summon these automatons to attack the hero, right? Does this creature have any special powers or abilities that you want it to have?
    Last edited by Steward; 2012-04-26 at 03:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've got players in a D&D 3.5 based system in a desert environment, and a decent subset of the population of the civilization they're about to dive into contains a buzzard/vulture-like race. They're mostly humanoid, and flight is not strictly necessary but might not be a bad idea. I also think they should be likely to carry diseases, and/or have abilities relating to what vultures are good at: finding dead things and stalking things that are about to die. I'd like them to be CR 5 at maximum and preferably less, because lots of them have class levels (quite a few of them in this civilization are clerics or shadepriests of the local death god, with a few petty assassins and the like as well). Any ideas for abilities and things?
    Last edited by Baphomet; 2012-04-25 at 08:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

H 761
    I think this is an okay start. Can a more experienced homebrewer please check to see if everything's in order? (I'm especially concerned about the CR!)

Spoiler
    Show
    Skull Puppet
    Medium Construct
    Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (25 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 feet (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
    Attack: slam +1 melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +1 melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Construct traits
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 5, Cha 1
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4) or troupe (5-10)
    CR: 2
    Treasure: Half standard
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 2 - 4 (Medium)

These puppets are the creations of the Skull Kid, conjured forth whenever he blows his horn. They carry out his bidding.

Combat:
    Puppets are most dangerous when they can surround foes, wearing them down with under a barrage of attacks.

I'm not really familiar with this game though. From how I understood the article you linked to, the bad guy can summon these automatons to attack the hero, right? Does this creature have any special powers or abilities that you want it to have?
    Looks about right. I've played the game, and really the only thing they do is drop in on puppet strings in sets of 4 (the strings don't seem to be attatched to anything at the other end), then scratch at you repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

C 761
    Try 5d10 for 27 hp. The hp is high but the low AC and damage makes it CR 1.

H 762 (please number your requests, for example "R 762" in bold)
    I briefly looked up vultures and was interested to see that they use acidic projectile vomit as a weapon in the wild. I also add some dead/dying tracking things as requested. The flight was gimped to keep LA and CR down: It's not good enough to maneuver indoors and the low speed makes it hard to do a flyby attack every round.

Buzzardfolk
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid
    2d8+1 (10 hp)
    Initiative +1
    Speed 30 ft., Fly 40 ft. (poor)
    AC 15 (+2 natural, +3 studded leather), touch 10, FF 15
    BAB/Grapple +2/+2
    Attack: 2 Claws +2 (1d4) and Bite -3 (1d4) or Projectile Vomit +3 touch 2d4 acid (see text)
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', Deathwatch (Su), Scent
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilties: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Skills: Survival +5, Hide +6
    Feats: Track (B), Flyby Attack
    CR 2
    Level Adjustment: +1
    Alignment: Often Neutral Evil ("Often" = 12%-49%)

Like vultures buzzardfolk are carnivores that like to feed on dead and dying flesh. They are often caniving and opportunistic, seeking any advantage they can take over the weak and helpless. Buzzardfolk loathe open combat, often fleeing from it. They prefer scouting and ambushes, especially against foes who have been weakened by another foe or hazard. In dungeons they like to build traps and watch them patiently. Buzzardfolk fly at low speed but may do so for long periods of time before becoming fatigued, as if walking.

The Buzzardfolk shown here has flyby attack to circle around and engage foes from a distance with his projectile vomit. He flies in a circle with a minimum diameter of 20 feet meaning he can only cover at most 2/3 of this circle each round if he attacks. He must move at least 20 feet each round to avoid stalling. See the flight rules for more details.

Projectile Vomit (Ex)
    A buzzardfolk's stomach acid is especially corrossive to give him immunity against diseased food. He also uses it as a weapon to defend himself. The vomit does 2d4 acid damage and has a range of 30'. Unlike other natural attacks a buzzardfolk with rapid shot, a high BAB or another source of multiple attacks may fire vomit multiple times per round. He may likewise benefit from abilities that grant extra damage.

Deathwatch (Su)
    Buzzardfolk have deathwatch as a continuously active ability, as the spell.

Scent (Ex)
    Buzzardfolk have the Scent ability and may even use it to track through air without penalty. Furthermore once they have successfully tracked a creature they may use their Deathwatch ability on it while tracking it as long as it is within 2 miles.

Buzzardfolk Characters:
    • +2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha
    • +2 natural armor
    • Favored Class: Rogue (or change to match your setting)
    • Plus all the above abilities. Flyby Attack may be swapped for a different level 1 feat.

Feats:
    Improved Projectile Vomit
    Requirements: 6 HD (including class levels)
    A buzzardfolk may take this feat to increase his projectile vomit damage to 3d4.

Greater Projectile Vomit
    Requirements: 11 HD (including class levels), Improved Projectile Vomit
    A buzzardfolk may take this feat to increase his projectile vomit damage to 4d4.

Superb Projectile Vomit
    Requirements: 16 HD (including class levels), Improved Projectile Vomit, Greater Projectile Vomit
    A buzzardfolk may take this feat to increase his projectile vomit damage to 5d4.

Other Comments: Many buzzardfolk get the feat to apply enlarge spell to a supernatural ability to give their deathwatch greater range.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-05-16 at 11:24 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I've ever seen the phrase, "Superb Projectile Vomit" before, so... wow!

Good point about the AC and the HP thing. 5d10 + 20 would be rounded to 48 hp, right? Is that still good?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I meant 5d10 to get something near 25, if that's what you want. Constructs don't have a constitution so adding any number is a bit strange.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)