The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1127
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Halad"Will a gold piece do? I'd rather give your bartender the rest," he called to the wizard, smiling broadly.
    Elduin

    The elf smiled, "Whatever money you would give Bukrohm would certainly be appreciated. But knowing him as I do, I think he would rather see you pay the room fee before tipping."

    Elduin repeated the process of recording the transactions as they occurred, noting who paid how much and who was sharing rooms, each of whom received their own key.

    OOC - Key:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I sent this via PM to a few already, but might as well post it here too...

    As long as you have the Key you get +1 Luck/Circumstance (stacks with other luck) bonus to AC, saves, attack, damage, ability checks, & skill checks.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-26 at 10:37 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Bartholemu

    The nervous young man cowers in his chair, though he looks more comfortable than at any point downstairs. A weight has been lifted from his mind, it seepms, but as the older man makes his speech, though, he starts to squirm uneasily.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casts Message at Eludin:

    "What if we, uh, don't, um, have those funds currently at hand?"
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2011-10-27 at 06:39 AM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Roderick reaches into a pouch on the side of his pack and produces five gleaming platinum pieces. He glances toward Sienna and Halad as he hears their brief conversation, then reaches back again and pulls out another five.


    Here is my month's payment, plus a month for these two adventurers and their animals.


    He looks over at the pair as he places the key in a pocket of his vestments.


    That should cover two rooms, If you are not comfortable sharing a room with each other, I do not mind sharing my space.


    Looking back to the elf,

    What sort of dangers can we expect to see down there, that you know of?
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gadora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by white rider View Post
    Carn
    I will share. I have already payed much of the first week, so you can pay me back later
    i charge very reasonable interest rates (chuckle)
    Alberich

    "I'll take you up on that offer. And with me covering both our food, that drops us down to owing seventeen gold, five silver per week.

    And I'll be covering my own expenses, no worries there.
    "
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stalion View Post
    Bartholemu

    The nervous young man cowers in his chair, though he looks more comfortable than at any point downstairs. A weight has been lifted from his mind, it seems, but as the older man makes his speech, though, he starts to squirm uneasily.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casts Message at Eludin:

    "What if we, uh, don't, um, have those funds currently at hand?"
    The elf smiled at the minor magic, a most useful spell indeed. Clearly the young sorcerer was nervous, whether it was due to the situation or just his normal behavior mattered little to the patient elf. He smiled and calmly reiterated what he had previously said about such a question,

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    "If some of you lack the proper funds, your oath and some partial payment will suffice for now, and you can owe us the rest. The terms I stated did not include you to make full payment immediately. After all, we fully expect you will discover many treasures on your expeditions, and we are trying to build a trusting and lasting relationship with you."
    He added, "If you have no money, perhaps one of your fellow adventurers would share their room with you until you can repay them."

    Quote Originally Posted by Figment_ View Post
    Looking back to the elf, What sort of dangers can we expect to see down there, that you know of?
    "I could sit here for hours and tell you of the many dangers we faced. But that was long ago, and likely most of it has changed since then. Divinations cast from outside always fail to penetrate the Deephold, residue of the power that once resided there. However, given the nature of the place, you can expect to face anything that typically dwells underground.

    I can tell you that certain individuals take it upon themselves to patrol the road to the east and visit the farmsteads out there occasionally. They have reported an increase of ghouls on the road nearest Ryclend, and more than one farmstead has been attacked recently by a trio of rampaging ogres. Either of these threats could well originate from Ryclend."



    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody see the ooc post about the dwarf paladin?
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-27 at 12:05 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Terev says "Victor, may I take you up on that offer to share a room? Never hurts to save gold."

    Assuming Victor agrees Terev pays for half of the fee for the first week.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by Figment_ View Post
    Roderick reaches into a pouch on the side of his pack and produces five gleaming platinum pieces. He glances toward Sienna and Halad as he hears their brief conversation, then reaches back again and pulls out another five.


    Here is my month's payment, plus a month for these two adventurers and their animals.


    He looks over at the pair as he places the key in a pocket of his vestments.
    ...
    Halad

    Looking sidelong at his halfling companion, the elf asked, "What do you think, Sienna? I'm inclined to take him up on the offer."

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    "I think he's just made a friend for life." Sienna beams up at the elf.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    Turning back to Roderick, the elf said, "Thanks! We accept your generous offer. I'm sure we'll be able to pay you back in short order."

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by sidelar View Post
    Terev says "Victor, may I take you up on that offer to share a room? Never hurts to save gold."

    Assuming Victor agrees Terev pays for half of the fee for the first week.
    Victor

    "I'd welcome the company, mister..?"
    replied Victor to the swordsman who had joined at the last moment.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Elduin
    While the final room arrangements were worked out, the elf pulled a scroll from within his robe and spread it out on the table. The inside of the vellum held a diagram of halls and rooms, the promised map.

    ďThis is the last known layout of the first level of the Deephold. As previously stated, things change there over time, so this may not be accurate, and lacks any notation about what might be found there. Of course, updated maps are worth the time to us, if anyone has such inclination feel free to make one. This could also be accomplished by me and any number of you in a brief interview each time you return with your key, perhaps over dinner.Ē
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Bartholemu

    A small voice speaks up as the assembled adventurers examine the map.

    "Um, I was, uh, wondering if, um..." The boyish man looks embarased to speak infront of the group, "if moy could maybe tell us, um, what might those, um, numbers mean?" he sqeeks.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stalion View Post
    Bartholemu

    A small voice speaks up as the assembled adventurers examine the map.

    "Um, I was, uh, wondering if, um..." The boyish man looks embarased to speak infront of the group, "if moy could maybe tell us, um, what might those, um, numbers mean?" he sqeeks.
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who is Bart rooming with?

    I meant to add that there are no numbers on the map, but since I didna...


    The elf looked at the map briefly and shrugged, "They are notations made by the previous group, presumably corresponding to some journal they created, which I never saw."
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Night Before...

    For most of the brave adventurers the night was spent getting to know each other, or a select few others, while enjoying the performances and general jovial atmosphere in the common room of Greenhorn Hall. The bard they heard before, Bernard, played often, and during his breaks others read poetry or sang or played some instrument. Some of these solo acts displayed true talent, but none as polished or developed as Bernard.

    More than a few rumors had circulated before their meeting, and now they ran rampant through the inn. As usual for rumors, some were actually true. In this case it was more than enough to keep it interesting for those involved, or rather those who cared to pay close attention to such hushed gossip typically just out of earshot.

    As the evening progressed past the main meal for most, Drynch and Quijol left together. Though it was not typically in dwarven nature to be stealthy by any means, particularly while wearing heavy armor, this dwarf seemed to pass relatively unnoticed as he followed the elf outside into the night.

    Others came and went, mostly locals enjoying a few hours together, relaxing after their day of work. A few hours after sunset the crowd started to thin rapidly as these folk bid their friends good evening and went home. Some locals actually lived here at he inn, while others who had rooms here for short periods remained at their leisure before retiring.

    OOC:
    I suspect most adventurers will get to bed around this time, to gain their full rest and get their full level benefits. If any donít, for whatever reason...


    One notable exception was an enigmatic figure who sat in the corner nearest the front door. Either he had not been there long, or had been overlooked somehow the whole evening. Dressed in dark grey... well everything, he pulled his hood back when someone did look his way.

    A dark skinned human face flashed a sly grin as his dark eyes drilled deeply into whatever - or whoever - he gazed upon. His bald head bore a tattoo of unusual design, mostly on the crown and back. Raising a hand slightly, a pixie appeared long enough to hand him a snifter of brandy, which the man raised subtly in toast and sipped.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If any of the PCs remained and approach, he winks and vanishes!
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-30 at 04:02 AM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default ...The Morning After

    The morning was bright but chilly, Autumnís grip on the hills secure, with a playful wind from the North promising colder conditions within weeks. But today was ideal for traveling as the large group set off for Death Knell, and Ryclend Deephold within. Their goal was situated miles to the east atop a flat hill, surrounding by what was rumored to be a crumbling wall with towers. Death knoll was the highest hill in the area, so it should be easy enough to find - particularly with a birdís eye view

    OOC Raven scouting overhead? If so how high and/or how far from master?).

    Forming into some order, they marched east through town and along the sporadically used east road winding lazily into the hills. While used infrequently, the road itself seemed in fairly good shape, at least for the first few miles. It followed the terrain between the hills generally, twisting and turning unpredictably in the shallow valleys. Rare was the occasion to view ahead very far from the road, making many places ideal for ambush.

    Yet they suffered no such fate as the sun rose high and crested over them. As the day progressed to its zenith (noon), so did the intrepid hikers, and without incident. The hills grew higher and the road rougher, washed out in some places, though subtle signs readily showed passage of wagons and horses in recent months.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While traveling, please include a spot and listen check with your post, just in case... and any others you think appropriate for what actions you might post.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-30 at 04:11 AM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    Fortunately for the elf and his raven, the elvish liquor they consumed the night before wasn't particularly cruel the next morning. Halad met the rising sun with a few brief prayers and stretches. Craban stayed in the inn while Ryn joined her master outside for the morning ritual.

    Once the group was arrayed for travel, the elf took point and set Craban to flying ahead to look around obstacles and periodically report back. The raven flew high, trying to avoid notice from anything lying in ambush.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot and Listen rolls:
    Halad:
    Spot: (1d20+11)[29]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[27]
    Craban:
    Spot: (1d20+9)[23] (not an elf)
    Listen: (1d20+9)[26] (not an elf)
    Ryn:
    Spot: (1d20+5)[6]
    Listen: (1d20+5)[21]

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    (During the meeting)

    Sienna brings out a piece of parchment and ink and copies the map to the best of her abilities. When finished, she takes off her cloak and hands it to Halad. "Have that fixed before morning, will you. I'm going to get cleaned up." She spends the rest of the evening in the bath before retiring for an early night.

    (The next day)

    The halfling enjoys the the journey for once. Being surrounded by a larger group than usual means the little lass has less to worry about than when it's just her and Halad.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Aura of Senses up.
    spot - (1d20+10)[30]
    listen - (1d20+6)[8]

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    [The previous night...]
    Smiling, the elf cast two minor charms and handed back Sienna's cloak. "Before morning enough for you?" he asked with the same grin.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mending and Prestidigitation for a 'clean' effect.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Carn enjoys the journey, whistling softly to himself but still keeping his guard up
    Spoiler
    Show

    spot: (1d20+3)[20]
    listen: (1d20+9)[18]
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Roderick takes up a point in the vanguard of the traveling adventurers, keeping an eye out on the terrain for any threats.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Detect Evil SLA 60' cone sweeping the area as they travel

    Spot: (1d20+8)[22]

    Listen: (1d20+6)[17]
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Victor flies a little ways above the party, staying near the center of the group.

    Spoiler
    Show

    ~30 feet up
    Spot(1d20+1)[19]
    Listen(1d20+1)[11]

    Remember, Victor is always able to see the invisible.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Bartholemu

    The twitching youth fidgets along behind everyone else, his darting eyes nervously surveying the land around.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20)[13]
    Listen check: (1d20)[14]
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gadora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Alberich

    Alberich walks along in the middle of the group, singing tunelessly. It quickly becomes apparent that he doesn't know all that many songs.

    "Roads go ever, ever on
    Over rock and under tree,
    By caves where never sun has shone;
    By streams that never find the sea.
    "
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+1)[9]
    Listen:(1d20+1)[21]
    Perform(sing): Untrained; please treat as a roll of one, for a total of three.
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Terev travels in the middle of the group, making small talk and jokes with the other members as they travel along the road.

    He still maintains a wariness about him, scanning the land around them for threats.

    Spoiler
    Show

    spot (1d20+2)[22]
    listen (1d20+2)[11]

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Flying high above and ahead of the group, Craban the raven was the first to spot the manticore in the early afternoon. The large creature was flying low over the hills to the north, still not visible to those on the ground. While the raven dove toward its master with a squawk of alarm, Victor caught sight of the manticore as it cleared the next hill north of the one nearest the road (about 300' away right now).

    OOC: Initiative and initial actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its definitely out of sight for most. Its double move on the first round would bring it 100' closer, and flying over the hill just north of the road, within line of sight to all.

    Manticore Initiative
    (1d20+3)[7]


    Marching Order
    Craban (raven) 250' above, 150' ahead
    Ryn (cooshee) 30' ahead
    Halad/Roderick
    Sienna/Terev
    Victor 30' above
    Alberich/Carn
    Barholemu
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-31 at 05:08 PM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge-Arcana
    (1d20+12)[20]

    Initiative
    (1d20+2)[19]


    "Eyes on the skys everyone!" called Victor to his land-bound comrades. "Looks like we are about to have company! I think its a manticore." As he warned the others he began to ascend a little further.



    Spoiler
    Show
    On his turn Victor will move 10 feet up.
    Last edited by Vauron; 2011-10-31 at 06:33 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Get ready!
    yelled Carn, as he fitted an arrow to his bow
    Spoiler
    Show
    init: (1d20+4)[14]
    ready action to fire arrow at manticore as soon as it is within 60 ft.
    attack: (1d20+10)[22]
    damage: [roll]1d6[/roll]
    Last edited by white rider; 2011-10-31 at 07:12 PM.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    damage didn't work:
    (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by white rider; 2011-10-31 at 07:13 PM.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+1)[16]

    Casts Prayer, All allies within 40' burst: You and your each of your allies gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of your foes takes a -1 penalty on such rolls.




    Roderick looks to the skies and waits to be able to see the threat, a quick blessing to his god forming on his lips.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gadora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Alberich
    Alberich racks his brain for information on manticores, trying to decide what summon would best counter the incoming creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20+5)[12]
    Knowledge(arcana):(1d20+9)[11]

    Delay until next round.
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •