The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1127
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Because it's there!
    Carn laughs, Really though, just for fun and gold.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gadora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Alberich

    "We're paying quite bit for our rooms. Would it not be best to make the most of what we've paid, and get to the Deephold as quickly as possible?" He fidgets a bit, impatiently, before continuing. "As for why I'm here, it's as much for the money as it is destroying the evil that infests the place."
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    I agree, we need to press on. Though once there, perhaps we should find a relatively defensible location in which to rest for the evening.

    As for myself, I saw adventurers in need of healing, a path both to glory and an opportunity to rid the area of this corruptive influence in the Valorous Knight's name.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    "I suppose that at the least we should start thinking of a safe place to sleep. I'll take a look."


    With that, Victor puts on a burst of speed heavenward. He climbs for several minutes until he is maybe six hundred feet above any obstructions to his field of vision. Having reached such a height, he surveys the area, looking for a defensible location to spend the night, such as a hilltop without tall vegetation.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want a spot roll, assume he takes 20 for a total of 22.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    The brave and exuberant group pushed on for another hour or so before it was noted that some few were suffering fatigue already. While the resources lie among them to press onward, healing what little harm came from such a forced march would soon take a heavy toll on what curatives they possessed. It was perhaps wiser to ensure they had all such healing available before they entered Death Knoll. After all, searching the ruins for the entrance to the Deephold may well prove strenuous, or worse.

    Victor spotted what he sought not far from the road; a high hill with a single large tree and only low scattered shrubs and grass. It was out of sight from the road, and would take only a few minutes hike for the group to reach and ascend on foot.

    OOCThough I only posted it here, some (Bart & Carn) have already rolled (or responded with exceptions to delay such rolls for a time). After we see the total of what's caused in the first hour you can better judge whether to continue or rest.

    Wounds
    Bartholemu 7 (+6 nonlethal)
    Carn 3 (+3 nonlethal)
    Sienna 5
    Terev 1
    Victor 3
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Based on Victor's directions, Halad scouted out the hill from the ground, looking for signs of other creatures sheltering nearby.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+11)[21]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[29]
    Survival: (1d20+13)[32]

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Ferdinand

    Ferdinand seems relaxed and keeping up easily with the forced march.

    Fortsave:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Fortsave: (1d20+12)[16] if 1: (1d6)[5] non-lethal damage.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

    Lewis Carroll

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Roderick keeps pace with the party until they start to scout around for a place to set camp. He will do his best to aid in setting up a camp.

    Spoiler
    Show

    con check (1d20+2)[19] damage (1d6)[2]

    Aid another check on survival: (1d20+6)[23]
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Carn draws his swords and starts whacking away the underbrush in his way while being prepared to react at the first sign of trouble
    Spoiler
    Show
    readied action to activate flame, move, and attack at any hostile creature
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+12)[31]
    damage (1d10+5)[13]
    flame (1d6)[2]


    edit: after victor tells us about the hilltop, of course.
    Last edited by white rider; 2011-11-29 at 04:12 PM.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Victor

    Having surveyed the terrain to his satisfaction, Victor plummets back down to the party. "I saw a good place to spend the night over there, at the top of that hill." Victor points the way.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Ferdinand

    After arriving at the hilltop he pulls his sword out of the scabbard sits down and lays the sword over his legs. He starts using a whetstone to sharpen it, while looking around. Slowly he starts to whistle a song most know as ' the ballad of the sun' , a prayer used by priests of Pelor to worship him.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

    Lewis Carroll

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Though some drew heavy breath from fatigue, the hill proved a goal reached safely by all. Preparations for gaining sufficient rest for all were made* as each settled into their first night together as a group in the wilderness. Some had many years of experience in the wild, having spent many nights trying to rest in tandem with others, so strategic arrangements were soon accomplished.

    The large oak tree that crowned the hill was ideal for defense, if needed. It large trunk could be a tactical advantage for some in a battle while the expansive limbs and branches offered cover and concealment for many. The sparsely shrubbed hill provided an ample perimeter and camp was quickly established.

    Personal preparations and rituals passed without interruption, as did the entire night. Though nervous trepidation spawned some pseudo sightings of suspected threats, none materialized. Just before dawn all were well rested as the last of the sleeping were awakened. Morning brought relief from harm some had previously sustained, and dawned chilly with a clear sky and no wind. Shadowed was the path back to the road in the morning sun, once reached curving between hills to the east and leading ever closer to Death Knoll and Deephold of Ryclend.

    Natural Heel 8+con mod
    Only Bartholemu needed 5 more healing, presumed done by the paladin or priest that night


    *OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you likely won't be spending many nights in the wilderness and there were no encounters, no need now to detail shifts etc. There was an issue in marching order raised when Ferdinand joined the group, being his desire to be up front. So previously we had, adding in the Sorcadin...?
    Spoiler
    Show


    Craban (raven) 250' above, 150' ahead
    Ryn (cooshee) 30' ahead
    Ferdinand
    Halad/Roderick
    Sienna/Terev
    Victor (30' above)
    Alberich/Carn
    Barholemu
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-12-13 at 10:53 AM.
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    [The previous night]
    "Ah, an oak tree perfect." Sienna begins clearing beneath the tree for camp, piling all the acorns she finds into a large heap. She helps build a fire and pulls out the manticore hide. She looks at Halad expectantly. "You did bring the tanning pot, didn't you?"

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    "Tanning pot? I thought it was in your pack. No? Hmmm... let me see what I can do with a charm or two..." Halad said thoughtfully, rolling up his sleeves.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, how much of the tanning process can Prestidigitation actually accomplish? I'm sure it can at least 'clean' the hide, and maybe 'preserve' it long enough to get to a proper pot. With the acorns and other raw materials available, is it a bridge to far to actually 'tan' it?

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    After camp is set up, Roderick passes out minor amounts of healing and uses is base medical knowledge to speed any natural healing that can be done in these conditions. Then he begins his meditations, seeking guidance and strength from his god.

    Spoiler
    Show
    using up healing belt for the day, if needed mass lesser vigor.

    taking 10 on heal checks as well if helpful



    The next morning, the priest seems ready, if not eager to venture into the next challenge.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Victor

    Victor yawned while stretching out like a big cat. Bleary eyed, he looked out over the hill and his fellow adventurers, many of which were also only beginning to wake. As he rose to his feet, Victor shook himself, as if trying to cast off the last dregs of sleep.

    "Welp, its a new day, time to prepare." With that, Victor begins running through a series of stretches while he waits for the rest to awaken.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Ferdinand

    The first thing Ferdinand feels is the sun shining on his face. He smiles and enjoys the feeling. After that he opens his eyes and sees Victor doing his stretches. He sits down and starts praying, thanking Pelor for this new day and asking him for his insight in the coming time. His strength of arm, and off course the magical insight he needs to fight with his complete power.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

    Lewis Carroll

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Carn awakes and sharpens his swords while the casters prepare their spells.
    Shall we be off, than?
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gadora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Alberich

    As he did the night before, Alberich cracks open his Field Provisions Box and passes out food. Just as he did the night before, he grumbles all the while about conjured food. Eating a quick breakfast, he spends an hour studying his spellbook.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Prepping the same spells as yesterday.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-12-13 at 10:17 PM.
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

    Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Eyes often drifted to the skies, seeking any sign of the second manticore as the group marched steadily toward the east. The old road was washed out in several spots, making for hazardous footing in a few places. Any one of them could make for a difficult battleground, but nothing attacked as the treacherous terrain was cautiously crossed without so much as a sprained ankle.

    Just before noon Victor spotted the high hill with a ruined wall; Death Knoll. Another hour or less would it take the group to reach it. The hill itself was more like a plateau with three sides falling off in nearly vertical cliffs of earth and stone. The east side sported a gently sloping hill, the remains of an old road leading up to the ruins of the gate that what once was the the only entrance. From this distance no movement was seen.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Final approach, any preparations?
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn carefully takes out his lock-picks and ties them to his belt. He than draws his swords, checking them for nicks or burrs. Finally he begins to carefully climb the hill.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    The elf gave a short whistle that brought his raven circling back for instructions. "Craban, circle the hill while we approach. If you see anything, come back right away," he said before launching the bird back into the air.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta,Ga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Roderick takes a deep breath and looks around to the other adventurers. Seeing them all prepared, he shifts his pack to a more comfortable position, and walks with the group toward the gate.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Victor

    Victor called down to the groundpounders, "Looks like we're almost there! Looks like we are stuck going up the east face unless you all sprout wings."

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Five minutes late
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Carn
    Carn nods to Victor and heads towards the east face of the cliff.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Ferdinand

    Looking at the others he stays in the order that was agreed upon. Slowly making way towards their destination.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

    Lewis Carroll

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gryndel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    The last small hike to Ryclend brought the group to the road leading up the east side of the hill. It snaked lazily up the hill, lessening the angle of ascent and exposing those on it for longer as they approached. But no threat showed itself as they proceeded in cautious order.

    The wall around the top remained sturdy and mostly intact, though Victor could see from above that points had crumbled somewhat, a few all the way to the ground. Most of the towers had suffered the ravages of time and unknown other forces, except one; the northwest most tower seemed intact, if weathered. The entrance gate was completely shattered and lay in ruins atop a pile of rubble that partially blocked the opening.

    Victor could see scattered ruins within the walls and a large opening in the center. As the others approached the last curve in the road they began to view the inside, obscured by the rubble in the entry. From this rubble leaped a pack of ghouls. Eyes raging with death they rushed headlong toward the group.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative and first round action. The front characters are 60' from rubble edge and the ghouls.

    Ghouls initiative (1d20+2)[16]
    Game on...

    MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Halad

    His bow already out, Halad nocked an arrow as he moved into a better firing position before releasing three at the onrushing ghouls.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[10]
    Five foot step out of the path of those behind who may want to charge.
    Using Rapid Shot and Full Attack for three arrows, firing at a single target until it goes down, then moving on to the next:
    To Hit #1: (1d20+12)[20]
    Damage #1: (1d8+8)[15] (+4 Strength, +1 Arrow, +3 Elven Substitution Favored Enemy)
    To Hit #2: (1d20+12)[13]
    Damage #2: (1d8+8)[10]
    To Hit #3: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage #3: (1d8+8)[15]

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Ferdinand

    Without hesitation Ferdinand stares the opponents down. Unafraid of what they potentially could do. He was glad though that he at this moment would be fighting groundbased opponents, since the manticores of yesterday would be almost unhittable from his point of view.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Initiative: (1d20+8)[14]


    What Ferdinand does depends on the opponents, and off course how many there are and in what area. He will probably cast Glitterdust if there are a lot of opponents in the range.
    If not and they come too close he will attack one in melee.

    Stay strong everyone, if you are afraid move back and let my sword and shield protect you. I will try to keep them away from you all.
    Last edited by Duskranger; 2012-01-12 at 01:36 AM.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

    Lewis Carroll

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Vauron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative
    (1d20+2)[17]
    Attack Part 1
    (1d20+10)[15]
    (5d6+1)[28]
    Attack Part 2
    (1d20+10)[15]
    (5d6+1)[26]Halve this damage number
    Crit damage
    (5d6+1)[24]Halve if used for the second attack

    Victor started 30ft up near the center of the party, and moved forward 30ft before firing a Chained Eldritch Blast. Target priority goes to the two closest ghouls.


    Victor

    Victor flies forward in hopes of getting a few hits in before the melee types were in reach of the enemy. From his high vantage point Victor fires a coruscating beam of power that smashed into one of the ghouls before seeming to bounce over to strike another foe.
    Last edited by Vauron; 2012-01-12 at 05:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •