Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold OOC

Good ol' crits...

crit confirm - (1d20+13)[26]
    extra damage - (1d3+4)[6]

2. - Top - End - #152

And my post happened to be the 151st, which doesn't show up unless someone posts...

3. - Top - End - #153

Just waiting on Gadora to see if Alberich is doing anything this round.
    Game on...

Heretic's Bane Magnum Rurikson

Ryclend Deephold Game OOC Dice

4. - Top - End - #154

Ergh. Somehow managed to post this in the in-game thread. Oi, do I seem to be made of fail, of late.

Sorry. I'd been trying to come up with something a bit more helpful to do than "add a new target for the spines" but I guess I'll just add the new target.

EDIT: The air elemental is a bog standard small air elemental. By my reading, since it was summoned with a feat, and not a spell, it doesn't even benefit from Augment Summoning.

I am sorry for the delay. I'll do my best not to be the cause of such in the future.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-11-09 at 06:54 AM.
    Proud member of the Gnomish Wanderer fanclub!

Lovely Gnomatar by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Ergh. Somehow managed to post this in the in-game thread. Oi, do I seem to be made of fail, of late.

Sorry. I'd been trying to come up with something a bit more helpful to do than "add a new target for the spines" but I guess I'll just add the new target.

EDIT: The air elemental is a bog standard small air elemental. By my reading, since it was summoned with a feat, and not a spell, it doesn't even benefit from Augment Summoning.

I am sorry for the delay. I'll do my best not to be the cause of such in the future.
    Sometimes a 'new target' is the perfect thing to summon.

The reserve feat depends on and feeds from spells you have prepared to summon, so I'd say the elementals benefit from Augment Summoning.

However, if at the end of your turn you are more than 30' from the elemental it disappears.
    Game on...

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Sometimes a 'new target' is the perfect thing to summon.

The reserve feat depends on and feeds from spells you have prepared to summon, so I'd say the elementals benefit from Augment Summoning.

However, if at the end of your turn you are more than 30' from the elemental it disappears.
    Thank you for both of the first two.

As for the third, I wanted to ask you something related to that, but was having a bit of a difficult time wording it well. Would you say that the elemental is free to leave that thirty foot radius? For example, would you rule that it could have done a charge attack on the manticore? It would disappear at the end of my turn, of course.

Also, a few quick notes about how long the spiders are out. I've got a caster level of seven, due to Malconvoker not advancing casting on its first level. This is increased by one for conjuration(summoning) spells, due to the Summon Elemental. (I noticed that you did catch this one, I just point it out for completeness's sake) I also made my bluff checks for Deceptive Summons, which, for now, doubles the duration of the spell. So, instead of being on round two of nine, they should be on round two of sixteen. I doubt it will matter, in this case, but I thought it best to clear it up before it did matter.

7. - Top - End - #157

Thank you for both of the first two.

As for the third, I wanted to ask you something related to that, but was having a bit of a difficult time wording it well. Would you say that the elemental is free to leave that thirty foot radius? For example, would you rule that it could have done a charge attack on the manticore? It would disappear at the end of my turn, of course.
    Hmm yes, I would agree, up to its move limit and such.

Also, a few quick notes about how long the spiders are out. I've got a caster level of seven, due to Malconvoker not advancing casting on its first level. This is increased by one for conjuration(summoning) spells, due to the Summon Elemental. (I noticed that you did catch this one, I just point it out for completeness's sake) I also made my bluff checks for Deceptive Summons, which, for now, doubles the duration of the spell. So, instead of being on round two of nine, they should be on round two of sixteen. I doubt it will matter, in this case, but I thought it best to clear it up before it did matter.
    Good points, and I didn't catch them... edited durations.

So CL is actually 7 right now, except for summoning/conjuration, which is 8 due to feat bonus.

Duration is important indeed, though not always, and not this time apparently. I'd need to roll (Sense Motive presumably) to oppose each Bluff, to see if they're deceived into staying longer?
    Game on...

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Figment_ View Post
    Move action: up to 40' back to approximate center of the group.

Free action: activate pearl of power to restore Magic Weapon spell.

Standard action: delay until manticore is visible, then mental command to spiritual weapon to attack new threat.
    I think using the pearl of power is a standard action. No big deal right now either way, but its good to get these lil things sorted out early.

BTW good job all, so far...
    Game on...

9. - Top - End - #159

Hmm yes, I would agree, up to its move limit and such.

Good points, and I didn't catch them... edited durations.

So CL is actually 7 right now, except for summoning/conjuration, which is 8 due to feat bonus.

Duration is important indeed, though not always, and not this time apparently. I'd need to roll (Sense Motive presumably) to oppose each Bluff, to see if they're deceived into staying longer?
    I'd thought I'd just run the sense motive checks, since that cuts down on the number of posts needed per round. It means that they're right next to the matching bluff check, as well as meaning I don't need to wait for you to make a post before giving orders to the critters. If you'd rather run the sense motives though, then, other than it perhaps taking a bit longer, I have no objection.

Probably the two most important things to know about the bluff checks are that if I fail by five or more, the critter is hostile, though it can still be dismissed as normal,1 and I can choose not to use the class feature, and just summon a normal, undeceived monster.

Next level, critters that I successfully deceive will also be "whip[ped]... into an infernal fury," gaining two extra damage on weapon damage rolls, as well as an extra 2 hp per HD. (They're getting close to being dang good ablative armor.)

And yeah, duration's not important now, but it's best to get this sort of thing
    cleared up as early as possible.

And I'll work on getting the modified stat blocks posted for the four elementals I can summon with the feat. Only things that need to change are Str and Con, but those are sure to have a few ripples.

1At least by my reading. It's very strongly implied by their level nine class feature.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-11-10 at 05:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gryndel, please try to denote the height of the enemy when possible, as I had consistently misjudged the manticore's height, and had thought it was at a lower elevation than Victor. I'm aware that it likely wont come up that often in the dungeon proper, but it'd help me make decisions.

Just to clarify, the first manticore came from the north, and made a right angle with the road, right? As the new victim is coming from the east, would come from further up the road, or further down the road. If the latter, than it'd likely be right behind the new pc. Which is the case?

11. - Top - End - #161

Air Elemental, small, augmented
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Elemental(air, extraplanar);Hit dice 2d8+4; hp 13; initiative +7; Speed Fly 100 ft (Perfect); AC 17, touch 14, flatfooted 14;Base attack +1; Grapple +1; Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+2); SA: Air Mastery, Whirlwind; SQ: Darkvision 60 ft, elemental traits; AL: N; Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +0; Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skill and Feats: Listen +2, Spot +3; Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B)

Whirlwind DC 13

HP was boosted due to increased Con from Augment Summoning.
    Slam and whirlwind DC were boosted due to increased Str from Augment Summoning.

Earth Elemental, small, augmented
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Elemental(earth, extraplanar);Hit dice 2d8+6; hp 15; initiative -1; Speed 20 ft.; AC 17, touch 10, flatfooted 17;Base attack +1; Grapple +2; Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+6); SA: Earth Mastery, Push; SQ: Darkvision 60 ft, Earthglide, elemental traits; AL: N; Fort +6, Ref -1, Will +0; Str 21, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skill and Feats: Listen +3, Spot +2; Power Attack

HP boosted due to increased Con from Augment Summoning.
    Slam boosted due to increased Str from Augment Summoning.

Fire Elemental, small, augmented
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Elemental(fire, extraplanar);Hit dice 2d8+4; hp 13; initiative +5; Speed 50 ft; AC 15, touch 12, flatfooted 14;Base attack +1; Grapple -1; Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4+2 plus 1d4 fire); SA: Burn; SQ: Darkvision 60 ft, elemental traits immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold; AL: N; Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0; Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skill and Feats: Listen +2, Spot +3; Dodge, Improved Initiative(B), Weapon Finesse(B)

Burn DC 13

Slam boosted due to increased Str.
    HP and Burn boosted due to increased Con.

Water Elemental, small, augmented
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Elemental(water, extraplanar);Hit dice 2d8+6; hp 15; initiative +0; Speed 20 ft, Swim 90; AC 17, touch 11, flatfooted 17;Base attack +1; Grapple +1; Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d6+5); SA: Water Mastery, Drench, Vortex; SQ: Darkvision 60 ft, elemental traits; AL: N; Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +0; Str 18, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skill and Feats: Listen +2, Spot +3; Power Attack

Vortex DC 13

Slam and Vortex boosted due to increased Str.
    HP boosted due to increased Con.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-11-12 at 04:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think using the pearl of power is a standard action. No big deal right now either way, but its good to get these lil things sorted out early.
    You are right, I misread command activation. Corrected my post, no delayed action to sic the sword on the new manticore.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Gryndel, please try to denote the height of the enemy when possible, as I had consistently misjudged the manticore's height, and had thought it was at a lower elevation than Victor. I'm aware that it likely wont come up that often in the dungeon proper, but it'd help me make decisions.

Just to clarify, the first manticore came from the north, and made a right angle with the road, right? As the new victim is coming from the east, would come from further up the road, or further down the road. If the latter, than it'd likely be right behind the new pc. Which is the case?
    OK I'll be more explicit about distances.

The road passes between steep hills, so the ground on either side is higher than the road. The 1st manticore came over the hill to the north, though it remained close to the ground the whole time. I thought that would be enough of a description to denote that it was well above the group, diving toward them to attack.

You got the orientation of the first one correct, but exactly opposite on the 2nd. The 2nd manticore is flying parallel to the road from west to east, just north of the hill, which lies north of the road. So its flying away from the group.

Again, sorry for the confusion and curse my lack of map making skills. If something isn't clear to you feel free to comment on it here and I'll try my best to get it straightened out.
    Game on...

14. - Top - End - #164

Well done all, that was a 15 HD Manticore with high HP, additional feats and all the boosts for higher HD, etc...
    Game on...

15. - Top - End - #165

To any individual, some of the monsters in this game will seem overpowered. In fact most (if not all) will be advanced monsters, far tougher than the book entries. They will also occasionally have magic items & such other treasures that will aid them in combat. Just keep in mind I don't specifically design opponents just for you to kill, but that will challenge your limits and could kill any one of you at anytime.

I believe that if the player know they might die it makes for a more enjoyable game and inspires better play, albeit it occasionally results in PC death (awwwww). But fret not on that front, particularly those of you who may never have had a PC die, if you're a player of even moderate ability I'll find a way for you to continue playing, if you want.

Just remember there are 9 of you, each fairly powerful in your own right for your level. Combined, that makes for a substantially higher potential of damage you can deal out (& collective take), and mathematically increases the Challenge Rating you could allegedly handle as a group.
    Game on...

16. - Top - End - #166

Pardon me a moment while I revel in Halad's elfness... it's not every day you hit an enemy you can't see...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2011-11-10 at 08:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

PaladinGuy

oops, forgot
    50 or lower is miss
    (1d100)[45]
    (1d100)[89]
    (1d100)[64]
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

18. - Top - End - #168

To any individual, some of the monsters in this game will seem overpowered. In fact most (if not all) will be advanced monsters, far tougher than the book entries. They will also occasionally have magic items & such other treasures that will aid them in combat. Just keep in mind I don't specifically design opponents just for you to kill, but that will challenge your limits and could kill any one of you at anytime.
    Meh, as long as we are getting outrageous amounts of XP for it.

19. - Top - End - #169

PaladinGuy

Actually, our xp will be divided by 10, so we probably will not be getting loads of it.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by white rider View Post
    Actually, our xp will be divided by 10, so we probably will not be getting loads of it.
    Next you'll be telling me we also have to split all the treasure.

21. - Top - End - #171

PaladinGuy

don't worry, the treasure will still go to the person best at picking pockets

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

don't worry, the treasure will still go to the person best at picking pockets

Well, there goes any of my loot. Unless I start charging for healing, I suppose.
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

23. - Top - End - #173

Split by 9, actually, but still substantial.

A few words about that, I tend to think of things in terms of levels, not individual XP. While the raw XP for a given monster, treasure, or whatever is part of the calculation, I also consider the actions of each player and how it contributes to the whole effort. As discussed before, I also reward the group in other ways, for role playing and clever use of spells and items and such. So instead of rewarding you after each encounter, or each day, I just keep a tally of overall XP and decide at certain points its time you all go up a level. Hence, the initial bit about going up relatively fast in levels.
    Game on...

24. - Top - End - #174

Right, we'll go up at the speed of plot...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2011-11-11 at 02:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

LOL, I recently had a rather sneaky elf sorcerer who outdid a pair of greedy and sneaky gnome rogues on almost every incident where treasure was found. Clever use of bluff and other skills along with detect magic, mage hand, prestidigitation, and other minor spells enabled me to abscond with more valuable goodies than they ever imagined! However, generally I like playing in games where treasure is split equitably, regardless of who finds it.

As to treasure in this game, I have little control over what you do with it, once found. But I do have absolute control over what you find, where it is, who discovers it, who or what is using it (if at all), what condition its found in, etc. I expect everyone to do their bit, relative to class and abilities, and earn their fair share of the treasure. But I won't institute any sort of 'fair share' policy.

That said, I won't interfere in any role playing actions, reactions, or interactions concerning treasure found or how you decide to split it up. I will ask for rolls in some situations, and of course judge the results of such.
    Game on...

26. - Top - End - #176

Carn calmly launched three arrows at the second manticore
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Should be:
    Bow +10/+5
    Prayer +1
    Haste +1
    so attack total is +12/+7

Range increment is 60' so at 300' the range penalty is -8, making it +4/-1.. all misses even without concealment. But a worthy effort nonetheless.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-11-11 at 02:56 PM.
    Game on...

27. - Top - End - #177

PaladinGuy

oh, sorry. misread the modifiers

28. - Top - End - #178

Hm... I've a question that I'd like to get out of the way before it really matters. Can fiendish creatures speak? Same question for celestial creatures, I suppose.

At the moment it doesn't make much difference, but I'm going to have my spiders run off and act as scouts for the remaining duration of the spell, and I'd like to know if I should order them to "Yell if you see anything dangerous," or "If you see anything threatening, throw web in the air to alert me."

On the topic of treasure, I support equal shares of all treasure that isn't looted from individual nemeses. It just seems to make things go a bit smoother.

29. - Top - End - #179

I'm for working it out in character when the time comes. To my mind, it's not something that needs to be metagamed.

30. - Top - End - #180

Ok, just to be clear, the other manticore is flying away from us, so we appear to be relatively out of danger?