New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

smile Re: Thufir's Thupremely Thatithfying Thecond Random Banter With a Lithp #170

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    You are still awesome, Moon! Keep being amazing!
    Aww, thank you Tall Bastard.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Thupremely Thatithfying Thecond Random Banter With a Lithp #170

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Aww, thank you Tall Bastard.
    I hereby declare that I am awesome. And that Moonie is only moderately awesome, and nowhere near my personal view of my own level of awesome. 'Cuz I'm awesome.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Thufir's Thupremely Thatithfying Thecond Random Banter With a Lithp #170

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I hereby declare that I am awesome. And that Moonie is only moderately awesome, and nowhere near my personal view of my own level of awesome. 'Cuz I'm awesome.
    You're also only 5'5'' and weigh 90 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Actually, if memory serves, studies have shown that scientific information is some of the most reliable stuff on there, rivalling the Encyclopaedia Brittanica for accuracy. It's the celebrity info you should beware :P
    That's actually true. However, it's still a bad source to refer too, because it's hard to check where it got the information from. It can be awefully hard to track down the source of a particular instance of misinformation if it takes the path over a Wikipedia page, since it doesn't have to be in any of the cited references.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Uhhh ...

You should probably check the sources out too, more information never hurt anybody.
    I don't see it that way.
    Emphasis mine. Now written in my words, I interpretted what you said somewhere along the line of "Read Wikipedia, cite it and put its sources in your list of references. If you want, it might be a good idea to read it's sources too". Never put a "probably" where there's nothing to decide. If you refer to a source of some sort, that information must directly come from that particular source too.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

Just don't use wikipedia, it's so much easier.

If anything, read it to get an overview of the topic, and then, if you really want to, search down the sources it's citing. Do not do not do NOT actually cite it! And AT's advice on using information on Wikipedia and citing it's sources... OHMYGODBADNOBADNO! Do not do that if you value your academic career! That's not JUST using a poor source, that's using a poor source and PRETENDING IT'S A DIFFERENT SOURCE.

That's academic dishonesty.
    And that will, in University, get you thrown out. Has happened before. Sure, the penalties at whatever level you're at right now might not be so bad, but why get into the habit?
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2011-10-22 at 08:41 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Emphasis mine. Now written in my words, I interpretted what you said somewhere along the line of "Read Wikipedia, cite it and put its sources in your list of references. If you want, it might be a good idea to read it's sources too". Never put a "probably" where there's nothing to decide. If you refer to a source of some sort, that information must directly come from that particular source too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    If anything, read it to get an overview of the topic, and then, if you really want to, search down the sources it's citing. Do not do not do NOT actually cite it! And AT's advice on using information on Wikipedia and citing it's sources... OHMYGODBADNOBADNO! Do not do that if you value your academic career! That's not JUST using a poor source, that's using a poor source and PRETENDING IT'S A DIFFERENT SOURCE.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Tomber is fall, I know that one.
    To be precise: 'tomber dans les pommes' literally means 'to fall in amongst the apples', but it's an idiom for 'to faint'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    More news: I dig Macbeth. But Atlantean Troll hates Shakespeare.
    Shame. It's a very good tragedy, and - I could go on, but I'd merely end up condensing a good third of an essay I wrote wherein I mention Macbeth as being a fight about determinism and fate and how it reflects and affects a person's attitude towards death.

<destroys the universe>

I! AM! NOT! SHORT!
    Don't worry my bird, I'm sure I'm shorter than you, and I'm also pretty sure I'm at least two years older than you.

Just don't use wikipedia, it's so much easier.

That's academic dishonesty.
    And that will, in University, get you thrown out. Has happened before. Sure, the penalties at whatever level you're at right now might not be so bad, but why get into the habit?
    It will get you at the very least put on academic probation. Then again, my uni is very harsh about such things.
    My view on Wikipedia is this:
    it's good for summaries about books, plays and theological/philosophical/ethical/etc. et.c movements.
    it's fantastic for general knowledge, for giving you a little bit of information about something you're mildly interested in, and for supplying more information about something mentioned in passing in a book/etc. you were reading or watching.
    it's good for online resources that are hard to find. For example, I never would have found out there was an online parallel text sit for the Holinshed Chronicles which is important for a presentation I need to make in a fortnight.
    some of the references and citations are useful as a starting point for your own research. To expand: if a book is cited two or three times in one section, then it's almost certainly worthwhile checking out that book and reading it for yourself. This is so you can formulate your own thoughts on the matter, make sure that what's cited in the wiki' article is correct, and so you can get the full information needed for a formal citation in an essay.

Wikipedia itself is never ever ever a source, but everyone already knows that.
    Citing Wikipedia's sources while quoting something found on Wikipedia is cheating, and academic dishonesty and is very bad. At the extreme least and if you're very lucky and the professor is lenient the professor might think you just incorrectly cited the source and will give you stern warnings about proper referencing.
    If your professor is one of those people who runs essays through special software that can tell if you're plagiarising and so on, and they find out that the quotation is from Wikipedia, and you did it knowingly. Well. Fines. Academic suspension. Academic expulsion. Being barred from ever applying to said university again.
    But again, my uni is extremely strict on such things, as they should be, and to my knowledge only one person in my two years and a bit at this uni has ever been done for academic dishonesty or cheating. Said person was a Finalist, was suspended from their subject faculty and college for the rest of the year, barred from taking their exams, fined, and only thanks to a very good appeal is now going to be taking exams with the people in my year.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Shame. It's a very good tragedy, and - I could go on, but I'd merely end up condensing a good third of an essay I wrote wherein I mention Macbeth as being a fight about determinism and fate and how it reflects and affects a person's attitude towards death.
    Tragic has me wrong, I hate Romeo and Juliet. (My hatred only growing larger as I have been forced into giving a monologue from the accursed play.) I have yet to see Macbeth, so I can't really comment on it specifically, but I do greatly enjoy the couplets and a Midsummer Nights Dream.

Though, Cyrano de Bergerac is much better then any Shakespearian work I've ever been introduced too.

9. - Top - End - #69

Don't worry my bird, I'm sure I'm shorter than you, and I'm also pretty sure I'm at least two years older than you.
    How old are you? And how tall? I haven't reached five feet yet <grumblesincoherently>
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Tragic has me wrong, I hate Romeo and Juliet. (My hatred only growing larger as I have been forced into giving a monologue from the accursed play.) I have yet to see Macbeth, so I can't really comment on it specifically, but I do greatly enjoy the couplets and a Midsummer Nights Dream.

Though, Cyrano de Bergerac is much better then any Shakespearian work I've ever been introduced too.
    Couplets? You mean sonnets?

And just because Cyrano de Whatsisname is better, that doesn't diminish Shakespeare in anyway.

ION: I had a terrible dream last night about an old lady with a vulture's head.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Couplets? You mean sonnets?
    Yeah. Those. >.>

And just because Cyrano de Whatsisname is better, that doesn't diminish Shakespeare in anyway.
    No. But he doesn't live up to it (in my mind) and I simply can't be bothered by him. (Not really though.)

ION: I had a terrible dream last night about an old lady with a vulture's head.
    ... That sounds horrifying! D:

I hardly ever remember my dreams, but I had one last night where I moved to Colorado and started going to some big fancy "School of the Future." The other weird thing is that several of my closer acquaintances were there and so was Mutant Sheep.

And before that, I had a dream I was at Chautauqua and some other friends were there as well.

All very odd.

12. - Top - End - #72

Don't worry, many people I know hate Romeo and Juliet. Myself included. For many, many reasons. And as for it being a 'romance', personally I'd call it a romantic tragedy, a tragic romance or perhaps a tragicomic romance.
    Macbeth really is one of the best plays in the Shakespearian canon though. I know that the general rule of thumb is the tragedies are the best (something I personally disagree with), but Macbeth and King Lear are straight out some of the best things I've read period. And there's a Russian adaptation of King Lear that is simply marvellous. As for Macbeth I'd recommend reading it and Wyrd Sister by Terry Pratchett, but I've not really seen a proper production of Macbeth I can recommend as they've all been amateur dramatic productions.
    It really is fantastic though, the tension never drops except for the scene with the Porter, and I truly think Lady Macbeth to be flat out one of the best characters Shakespeare has ever written.
    But if you liked Midsummer I'd recommend checking out The Tempest. Not only is it the last 'official' play he wrote, but it's very much in the same magical vein of Midsummer. And if you don't mind a bit of recursive crossdressing (remember: in Elizabethan theatre female roles were played by adolescent boys) I'd also suggest Twelfth Night (I find the subplot the best part of it myself), and The Taming of the Shrew (no crossdressing).
    If you find yourself liking Shakespeare better as a poet than a dramatist, try reading The Phoenix and the Turtle or the Rape of Lucrece. Warning: the latter may contain rape.

How old are you? And how tall? I haven't reached five feet yet <grumblesincoherently>
    'Twenty' and five foot two. Ish.

ION:
    Got to get ready for a dinner date soon. So much work to do. Especially as I spent much of my Shakespearian comedy class drawing MLP:FiM related things on my hand.
    And arm.
    Almost to the elbow.
    I was really bored during some of the presentations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Macbeth really is one of the best plays in the Shakespearian canon though. I know that the general rule of thumb is the tragedies are the best (something I personally disagree with), but Macbeth and King Lear are straight out some of the best things I've read period. And there's a Russian adaptation of King Lear that is simply marvellous. As for Macbeth I'd recommend reading it and Wyrd Sister by Terry Pratchett, but I've not really seen a proper production of Macbeth I can recommend as they've all been amateur dramatic productions.
    Are you implying that amateur productions aren't good? D:

ION: I just bought this. Happy late Birthday to me.

14. - Top - End - #74

So slightly taller than me now, but with the likelihood of me being taller when I am twenty.

ION: I watched the Terminator last night. First time. That was fun.

ONION: So, apparently my dad was up in the middle of the night, and heard me talking in my sleep. On further investigation, I was sitting upright vehemently arguing with Leonardo da Vinci about something.

Dear Me,

YOU'RE ****ING INSANE
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, logically a professional production would be better than an amateur one. Yeah, there are exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

Hi peoples.

*akwardly tries to boogie*
    *gets self conscious and stops*
    *stares at feet*

Er, maybe I should just stick to my cakes. ^///^
    Epic cake powers!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know I'm not exactly Ace of Cakes but still a fun hobby. I enjoy working with chocolate so all the pieces are hand dipped.

"Grand Squisher of Hope"

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    *Wonders what Yaoi is*

*Goes off to find out what it is*

I...I..... I can't get it out of my head.........

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are we having some kind of short-off? What does the winner get? 'Cause I bet I'll win.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

ONION: So, apparently my dad was up in the middle of the night, and heard me talking in my sleep. On further investigation, I was sitting upright vehemently arguing with Leonardo da Vinci about something.

Dear Me,

YOU'RE ****ING INSANE
    Not necessarily.... and, more importantly, did you win the argument?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    Hi peoples.

*akwardly tries to boogie*
    *gets self conscious and stops*
    *stares at feet*

Er, maybe I should just stick to my cakes. ^///^
    But we have cake here! And you can eat cake and boogie at the same time!
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    But we have cake here! And you can eat cake and boogie at the same time!
    I don't boogie so well... <_<
    I can make some yummy cakes though. n_n
    Hopefully that's enough to not get thrown out of the boogie thread.
    >_>
    <_<
    Epic cake powers!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know I'm not exactly Ace of Cakes but still a fun hobby. I enjoy working with chocolate so all the pieces are hand dipped.

"Grand Squisher of Hope"

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    *Wonders what Yaoi is*

*Goes off to find out what it is*

I...I..... I can't get it out of my head.........

21. - Top - End - #81

Tomber is fall, I know that one.
    Oh yeah, 'cause 'laisser tomber' is drop, or literally 'let fall'. I remember that.

OK, I'm not that short.
    It's all relative. You don't know how tall he is.

If anything, read it to get an overview of the topic, and then, if you really want to, search down the sources it's citing.
    This. Or just find a source which says the same thing.
    I mean, I looked things up on wikipedia for my MMath project. But I then found other sources for the information that I could actually cite reasonably (Though my bibliography ended up a tad on the incomplete side in the end...)

To be precise: 'tomber dans les pommes' literally means 'to fall in amongst the apples', but it's an idiom for 'to faint'.
    Ooh, that is a nice idiom.

Hmm. And now I'm imagining some sort of rewrite/re-imagining of/thing inspired by Macbeth whereby Macbeth would be more of a hero, rebelling against the tyranny of deterministic fate.
    ...and I've thought before about how Simon Templeman would make an excellent Macbeth. This makes so much sense.

I know that the general rule of thumb is the tragedies are the best
    Really? All this time I thought that was just my personal preferences. I love the tragedies!
    I suppose the tragedies may have aged better than the others, since modern audiences are less likely to be familiar with the events depicted in the histories, and they're less likely to understand Shakespeare's jokes and euphemisms, which is pretty important for the comedies.

Twelfth Night (I find the subplot the best part of it myself)
    What subplot'd that be? It's been a while since- no, wait. I've actually never read Twelfth Night, only seen it performed.

If you find yourself liking Shakespeare better as a poet than a dramatist, try reading The Phoenix and the Turtle or the Rape of Lucrece. Warning: the latter may contain rape.
    Shock horror! I would never have guessed that.

'Twenty'
    Why the inverted commas? What is your problem with your age?

Especially as I spent much of my Shakespearian comedy class drawing MLP:FiM related things on my hand.
    And arm.
    Almost to the elbow.
    I was really bored during some of the presentations.
    ...you need to get a camera. I want to see these hand/arm Pony drawings!

Or that they're not as good. Or that there's not much use recommending them as you'd be unlikely to find the same group doing the same production any time soon and they'd be far away, whereas professional productions are perhaps more likely to have been recorded so you could find a copy to watch?

ION: My sleep pattern? It is absolutely, totally, completely and utterly, ****ed. It's just terrible.
    Of all the worst things that could happen, this is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    It's all relative. You don't know how tall he is.
    I'm 5'7'' unless he's, like, 6'5'' I'm really not that short.

Or that they're not as good. Or that there's not much use recommending them as you'd be unlikely to find the same group doing the same production any time soon and they'd be far away, whereas professional productions are perhaps more likely to have been recorded so you could find a copy to watch?
    That can't be it, that makes too much sense.

EDIT: I love my Drill. I want it to arrive already!
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-10-22 at 02:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

5'7'' is short for a guy. 5'9'' is average height, and I'd only really consider anyone greater than about 6'3''+ to be tall.

<--- 5'9'', iirc.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

24. - Top - End - #84

6' even, 17 years old. I feel tall in my school, because my school is mostly immigrants, who tend to be shorter.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

6'1''
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

So slightly taller than me now, but with the likelihood of me being taller when I am twenty.

ION: I watched the Terminator last night. First time. That was fun.
    First time? At your age?

Though I do think their portrayal of Hell.A. in the opening is an improvement over the current one.

Dear Me,

YOU'RE ****ING INSANE
    AWESOME! All I've had was mumbling and death threats.

6' even, 17 years old. I feel tall in my school, because my school is mostly immigrants, who tend to be shorter.
    5'7'', 16. I REALLY want to me one inch shorter. REALLY want.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brother View Post
    First time? At your age?
    I've never seen it. It doesn't rank high on my list of movies to see.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    6'1''
    That's not tall keep me from nailing you.

And by nailing you, I mean uppercutting.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not tall keep me from nailing you.

And by nailing you, I mean uppercutting.
    Curses!
    *Gets platform shoes*
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Curses!
    *Gets platform shoes*
    *gets platform shoes of his own*