New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Thupremely Thatithfying Thecond Random Banter With a Lithp #170

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Pfft. Pfft I say. Derivatives of trig functions are easy.
    Doesn't mean they are fun...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Thupremely Thatithfying Thecond Random Banter With a Lithp #170

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Doesn't mean they are fun...
    Oh yeah. "Easy" doesn't mean "fun".
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    'Cause most people I know don't like math and think it is hard.
    If math is hard mode, then reality is hardcore mode.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Oh yeah. "Easy" doesn't mean "fun".
    Well....

IRN: Curses, the teacher remembered to tell us "Assume no variable is equals to 0".

Otherwise my job would be much easier.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Why would that be a problem? It comes to the same feeling essentially, not a good school.
    I guess it just felt wrong that I felt glad for myself (for not having to go there) rather than feeling sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Why wouldn't it be fun?
    Well it wasn't too bad for most of them, but for one of the problems I had to use the definition of the derivative* and it's very long and drawn out.

*For those of you who don't know differential calculus, the definition of the derivative is

f'(x) = lim...f(x+h) - f(x)
    ........h->0........h

It's must easier just to know that d/dx cos(x) = -sin(x)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

If math is hard mode, then reality is hardcore mode.
    Reality is super easy. You just do stuff, man.

You guys are all so much smarter than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Reality is super easy. You just do stuff, man.

Eh, I feel like that whenever people discuss math. I am so clueless on the subject.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the compliment.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-10-23 at 08:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm good at Math. I just don't like it. Life is so much more interesting. I mean, sure, the derivative of x^5=5x^4, but did you know that the Russian metalworking industry in the 18th and 19th centuries totally depending on Britain going through their Industrial Revolution, and once it became more profitable to process iron in Britain, the Russian mining industry almost completely moved from the Urals, to the Ukraine?

I find this interesting enough to write a 4 000 word essay on. How 'bout you?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I'm good at Math. I just don't like it. Life is so much more interesting. I mean, sure, the derivative of x^5=5x^4, but did you know that the Russian metalworking industry in the 18th and 19th centuries totally depending on Britain going through their Industrial Revolution, and once it became more profitable to process iron in Britain, the Russian mining industry almost completely moved from the Urals, to the Ukraine?

I'd rather write the essay
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Essays are hard, but can be fun. Math is very hard, and almost never fun. Essay wins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Math is practically everything, why write a 4000 word essay when you can say it all in 5 steps, 10 properties and drawing the trigonometric circle, math is the language of the universe, everything is math. It's not a jazz solo, it's a sinusoidal wave pattern arrangement of eighth notes. It's not our planet, it's a (aproximately) sphere. It's not a game, it's a collection of ones and zeros arranged for your enjoyment. It's not a business card but the golden proportion made paper.

Life is less interesting them math, things happen, with or without you, in math, only you are tasked with making things go forward, while a life problem can solve itself by external factors, the value of "x" in the triangle won't find itself.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-10-23 at 08:51 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Essays are hard, but can be fun. Math is very hard, and almost never fun. Essay wins.
    Essays are fun!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

... No, I'm pretty sure that's my business card. Sorry. It has my name on it and everything...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

This statement is the opposite of how I feel. I hate essays, but love math (except proofs. I repeat: Fun )
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    This statement is the opposite of how I feel. I hate essays, but love math (except proofs. I repeat: Fun )
    You live in Wisconsin. Your argument is invalid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

You live in Wisconsin. Your argument is invalid.
    *smacks with foam cheese-head hat*

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is, to me, very interesting. I can make words do my bidding. Numbers... not so much.
    All avatars you may see on my profile are handmade in my home in the foothills of North Carolina. Please support your local avatarists.
    Also, feel free to PM if you need an avatar.

Cypress RP profile

19. - Top - End - #169
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Maths...

Spoiler
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Math is far easier then Essay Writing. You just have to sit down and due it. You have to be a blowhard to write a good Essay.

Take Pokemon. One of my most favorite things ever. I could maybe write 4 pages. Maybe.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-10-23 at 09:40 PM.
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Maths...

Spoiler
    Show
    Math is easy
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    x=5cm

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Math is far easier then Essay Writing. You just have to sit down and due it. You have to be a blowhard to write a good Essay.

Take Pokemon. One of my most favorite things ever. I could maybe write 4 pages. Maybe.
    Simply talking about IVs and EVs will net you at least 6 pages, get into the design philosophy of breeding, how it works, the items that factor into it, the competitive aspect of it, and you'll have your doctoral thesis.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-10-23 at 09:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Simply talking about IVs and EVs will net you at least 6 pages, get into the design philosophy of breeding, how it works, the items that factor into it, the competitive aspect of it, and you'll have your doctoral thesis.
    A Ph. D. in... Pokemon.

I need to find out what colleges offer that, right now.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I do IVs and EVs. I do them well.

Salamence Specs (for anyone that cares)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adamant @ Life Orb, Lv. 100
    EVs: 2 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    IVs: 31 Atk, 29 Spd, everything else 21+
    Moves: Outrage, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Flamethrower

Really, IVs and EVs that would be a page. Maybe 1.5 max ... 1 Page on IVs and EVs, 1 Page on Combat, 1 Page on the (various) Manga, 1 Page on the Anime, 1 page on other spin off (TCG, etc., etc.) ... I could write a Doctoral Thesis on IVs and EVs, but it'd be very boring. Let me rephrase what I said earlier. Hard, factual essays are easy. Soft, opinionated ones are not. And the American system, for some reason or another, places more emphasis on "soft" essays earlier along.

A Ph. D. in... Pokemon.

Heh. I've seen a Major in Harry Potter.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Ph. D. in... Pokemon.

More importantly, what career that would send you into. Real life Pokemon professor?

Spoiler
    Show
    I would love to have any sort of clue how to EV train. But I don't Oh well.
    Last edited by Eruantion; 2011-10-23 at 10:05 PM.
    All avatars you may see on my profile are handmade in my home in the foothills of North Carolina. Please support your local avatarists.
    Also, feel free to PM if you need an avatar.

Cypress RP profile

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

A Ph. D. in... Pokemon.

IRC Berkley had a course in Batman, so I suspect the University of Tokyo may have doctorates on pokemon.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I am going to stop Headbitch if it is the last thing I do

So, beloved Humanities teacher from FDS? You all know him, he was the one who did the BlueBrowneyes experiment, and the one who I got my picture taken with at that poetry thing I went to. Let us call him Bear from now on. A quick recap, he's the one who wasn't getting his contract made by Headbitch after the whole year of schooling had been planned and books had been ordered. On the first day back, it still wasn't made, so he said he wasn't coming back until he had his contract, and then he'd show up on the same day it was signed and start teaching. That was back at the beginning of the school year for FDS, and Bear says that there have been no Humanities classes all year, according to the few students who talk to him. FDS had been saying that Bear is off down south spending time with his family because his sister is ill (his sister died over the summer irl), something that was disproved every time he went outside. Last I heard of him, he had to move in with his girlfriend, and was applying for unemployment money. Well, my family just got BCCed on an email of his to the board and Headbitch. It seems their lie has changed since last time.

THEY'VE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE THAT HE QUIT SO HE CAN'T GET THE UNEMPLOYMENT MONEY.

I hate Headbitch. She ruined my school, she hurt me, and now she's doing horrible, horrible things to my friend.
    ...There is no way IN HELL this can be legal. There... there just can't. If this is a decent world that DOESN'T deserve to be nuked back to the stone age by the aliens from Battlefield Earth, THIS. CAN'T. BE. LEGAL.

Please tell me you have a local newspaper to submit these stories to. Because that's step one.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-10-23 at 10:05 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*smacks with foam cheese-head hat*
    *joins Mattos*

Yeah, Beloit is in Wisconsin! *currently want to go to Beloit*

Quote Originally Posted by Eruantion View Post
    I would love to have any sort of clue how to EV train. But I don't Oh well.
    It's pretty easy. There isn't much to say. All you need are the Power Items. I'd check the Pokemon Thread OP, it does a pretty good job explaining this stuff.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-10-23 at 10:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish I had some baked goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Really, IVs and EVs that would be a page. Maybe 1.5 max ... 1 Page on IVs and EVs, 1 Page on Combat, 1 Page on the (various) Manga, 1 Page on the Anime, 1 page on other spin off (TCG, etc., etc.) ... I could write a Doctoral Thesis on IVs and EVs, but it'd be very boring. Let me rephrase what I said earlier. Hard, factual essays are easy. Soft, opinionated ones are not. And the American system, for some reason or another, places more emphasis on "soft" essays earlier along.
    Page 1 and 2, explaining EV and IV, what they are, how they work, how you raise them, explain what each represents and how they are raised, all of course heavily simplified, it's a soft essay after all. Page 3 and 4, talk about the nature vs. nurture debate on real psychology. Page 5, 6 and 7, make a parallelism between both, EV/IV and Nurture/Nature, and explain the philosophical and psychological transcendence of what seems like a child's game.

Also, wouldn't, 251, 251, 4, have been better, or 248, 248, 8?
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-10-23 at 10:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. I've seen a Major in Harry Potter.
    Also very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruantion View Post
    More importantly, what career that would send you into. Real life Pokemon professor?
    That would be extremely cool.

IRC Berkley had a course in Batman, so I suspect the University of Tokyo may have doctorates on pokemon.
    Doesn't look like it, from their website.

*joins Mattos*

Yeah, Beloit is in Wisconsin! *currently want to go to Beloit*
    Why?

I wish I had some baked goods.
    Any situation can be improved with baked goods.