New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part II [4E]

Eltain sneers, snarls back, and scoffs.

"Zorella sent us to check on you three. What the hells do you think you're doing here? Don't you idiots know you're supposed to be gone? Gods, haven't you figured out the plan yet? Get to work! Except you probably can't even tell me what it is you're supposed to be doing, because you probably haven't. Maybe you should repeat it to me so I can make sure you have it right. Wouldn't want to have it wrong and get in trouble, now would you?"

Bluff: (1d20+18)[32]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Devil sneers. "Zorella can send you to do whatever she wants. We don't answer to that bitch. What we do is none of your business." he jabs a finger in Eltain's chest; apparently completely oblivious to the large symbol of Corellon tatooed on the half-eladrin's face.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

"Unless you were waiting on an update to the list." Zyrr interrupts, placing a grave emphasis on "list."

"If you don't know her, she's probably passing word along as a favor. A favor that transfers to us, thanks to our lucky gnome's betting problem." The dark-skinned elf gives Pavick an accusatory glare, as if that explains everything.

"That harpy wouldn't give us any details, saying it's for fiendish ears only, but the situation has escalated. You're expected on some 'jammer called 'Frost and Flame' about.... I'd say...."
    He glances at the sky for a moment before returning his irritated gaze to the three devils. "....Now. So I suggest you hurry."

Bluff - (1d20+18)[37]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

At the mention of his "gambling problem," Pavick immediately casts his eyes on the ground in "embarassment." He jams his hands into his large pockets and begins nudging a pebble around on the ground with his toes. Pavick even manages to make his cheeks redden a few shades as he forces himself to remember a time when he'd gotten drunk during his apprenticeship. Somehow the next morning his mother had gotten word that he was ill, and had burst into the Septarch's tower to care for her sick little Pavickins.

Spoiler
    Show

May as well make a aid another attempt. Bluff - (1d20+20)[39]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The devil's eyes narrow in suspicion and skepticism as Zyrr mentions Zorella doing a favor. Hands begin drifting to the swords at his side, but after taking a moment to weigh that a fight is very much not in their favor, the devils glare, before slinking off into the streets.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lucan gets the sense that while the Devil's did't trust you, they couldn't be certain that you're lying. At the moment, they're simply on edge and mistrustful of everything. It's also clear that they were definitely not on friendly (or fiendly) terms with Zorella.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-11-04 at 09:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan stares with wide eyes at his companions. Why is he always the last to know what's going on?

"I'm sorry about your gambling problem," Lucan tells Pavick. "But you really shouldn't promise favors to devils. If you need a loan . . ." He turns to Zyrr. "And why didn't you tell me that you met Zorella while you were out? Did you learn anything from her?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick looks at Lucan. "You know... my gambling problem. The same one that caused me to get a job with Oedipus Rex?" He sighs, realizing that if Lucan doesn't understand this remark, he's probably just as well to remain blissfully ignorant.

He turns back to Zyrr. "I don't know if they believed you, but they're probably at least going somewhere to see if they can get some more information. It might be worth following them discreetly to see where they go from here."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mostly I was just trying to get them to go away. As much as I want to drive my sword into their faces, in my condition it's doubtful I can." He looks embarrased. "Uh, Aramil. At some point can you, ah, give me a few... Pointers."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Devils begin slinking down a nearby alley, into the twisting streets of Sigil. If you're going to follow them, you'd best move quickly.

Aside from that, this street that was formally dominated by The Chubby Imp seems surprisingly empty for Sigil. It seems that the vacuum left by the Devils still hasn't been filled yet, but given the nature of the city, it will be less than a day before the building is torn apart piece by piece as scavengers continue their constant search for building materials...

11. - Top - End - #101

A dark finger points to the fiends as they leave.

"Now that's interesting." Zyrr tells the others, too quietly for the devils to hear. "I gave them the name of a Spelljammer to go to, but I never told them where it is docked. Wherever they're going, it's not somewhere I sent them."

He turns to the others, a daredevil gleam in his eye. "Wanna tail 'em? I've learned a thing or two about directing others around me to the better hiding spaces, the ones I don't need." The drow rubs his hands together and cracks his knuckles. "Otherwise I'll let you know what I see when I get back, probably somebody we can play against Zorella should she bother us about her sister."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick grins, "Don't think you're going off and possibly getting into trouble without me. I'll come along; I'm curious to see where they're heading too."

Pavick begins following the fiends, not waiting to see who else was coming. Whoever was coming would, and he really didn't want to lose the devils in the meantime.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming you'll be needing this.

Stealth - (1d20+15)[30]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain shrugs and goes along with the others. They might need him, who knows.

"I'm not about to let those two get into trouble alone without someone to at least try to protect them..."

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+11)[18]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC: Anyone else who wishes to come with Eltain & Pavick are free to. Shep will politely excuse himself to return and see to the animals you recovered while the rest of you try and follow the Devils. I'll assume unless you say otherwise that you *will* be coming.

As you begin to follow the Fiends, they take a winding path through the city, and you realize that they're headed towards the Hive, the sixth ward of Sigil where the lowest of the low dwell. As you enter, you find that the twisting and winding streets of the city haven't even begun to prepare you for the maze that is the Hive. Barely standing buildings are packed together so tightly you feel claustrophobic just looking at them, many of them little more than shanties packed one on top of another. Beggars on the street call out for coin, cockroaches seem to scuttle in every shadow and even the street venders seem to be little more than derelicts who have hobbled together random nic-nacs and thrown them on a crate. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the citizens crowded into this hornet's nest; they appear to come from every race in the cosmos (you even see one who looks like a former Eladrin noble, but with the telltale marks in her eyes of magical opiate abuse). Still, even here there are a number of inns and taverns, each filled to the brim with decrepit tenants who have scrounged together a few coppers for ale.

Thieves seem to run rampant, and a number of times you find someone bumping into you, and a hand trying to reach into a pocket. Even the respect that devil would normally command seems lost here, as you see the three fiends you're following subject to the same.

OOC: Could I get a perception check from anyone who is following?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil sighs at the eagerness of his companions. "I'd rather we not get into trouble this time at all. I doubt following those cretins will yield anything of use to us, and nothing we have found so far has told us otherwise."

16. - Top - End - #106

"Call it a hunch. ....Or a glorified whim. I'm going regardless."

"You want to learn some tricks of the roguish trade?" Zyrr asks Eltain as part of the group departs. "The first trick is to learn your boundaries and then reach just a little past them, like a prisoner grabbing a key on the other side of the bars. A thief is bold by definition; you'll never meet a humble cutpurse."

Zyrr gets to see a perfect illustration of his lecture shortly after, in the twisting depths of The Hive. He finds himself sorely missing his quick poison supplies, which would allow him to give the most aggressive of the pickpockets an unpleasant surprise when they examined their loot. As it is, most of the thieves part ways from the drow with nothing to show for their efforts but swatted hands, while some find themselves carrying pouches of smooth river stones and others end up in fact missing their own coinpurses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+6)[22] and a Thievery - (1d20+19)[32] to out-pickpocket a few of the pickpockets as they bump into Zyrr.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Still wondering about the trouble that Pavick's gotten in with his gambling, Lucan follows the others. He keeps an eye out for trouble, while keeping to the shadows. He's kind of sneaky, but, as has been noted before, what he's really, really good at is noticing things.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+13)[27]
    Perception - (1d20+18)[37]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-11-07 at 10:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps not, I certainly doubt it, but they seem determined to do so, and I can't let them go into danger alone. I can't do much right now, but it's better than nothing. You haven't lost any of your abilities, and if there is trouble they'll need your aid," Eltain says to Aramil, standing in the eladrin's way and looking straight into his eyes. "I know you're probably angry with me for questioning you on the ship, and you haven't apparently deigned to listen to anything I've asked you since we arrived in Sigil, but at least listen to me on this. I hate this city, and I don't trust it, and I especially don't trust it with them. It's a couple hours out of your life at most, and you'll probably outlive me by a couple of centuries. I can still make time to guard my friends. So can you." He calmly waits for a reply before he turns to follow the others, regardless of whether he gets one.

Spoiler
    Show

Eltain is unperceptive: (1d20+7)[12]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick has little trouble hiding amongst the crowd as he enters the hive. Sometimes being small has it's advantages, as he is able to keep behind the rows of beggars lining the streetside without even needing to crouch. But then, again, sometimes there are disadvantages too, as at times he has trouble seeing what's going on.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+10)[26]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Pavick and Eltain (and Zyrr and Lucan?) move down the twisting streets, keeping the devils in view. At one point, Pavick catches sight of one of the devils glancing over his shoulder, and you see him lock eyes on Eltain for a split second before the Half-Eladrin can duck out of sight.

The Devil whispers something to his companions, and they immediately turn down a side street. You continue following them for a few minutes, but the group stops for a moment to speak with a group of well-armed bladelings loitering outside of a noisy tavern. They talk to the bladelings in a low voice, and you see one of the Devil's jerk his head over his shoulder slightly in your direction. One of the bladelings nod, and the devils move on into a dark alley-way near-by.

Insight DC 21
    Spoiler
    Show
    That alley looks like an excellent place for an ambush.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick pauses for a moment, and quickly sends out a message to each of the others. His voice, barely above a whisper, travels by way of a ghost sound spell. "They've spotted Eltain for sure, maybe the rest of us too. The took those bladelings with them into an ally up ahead and are probably waiting to ambush us."

Spoiler
    Show

Insight - (1d20+10)[25]
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2011-11-08 at 07:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan looks at Pavick, and shrugs. Now what? he tries to get across.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

"It does look like an ambush. I'm not sure we can take them, but if you're willing to try I'll help. At this point though it's probably pointless, since we're not going to be able to follow them without problems now that they've seen us, and chances are they left the bladelings and are already gone through the alley." He sighs. "Sorry. I'm really not good at this sneaking around stuff..."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

OOC: Assuming Aramil didn't change his mind about going with them, what will he be doing back at the Inn?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    DM Post

OOC: Assuming Aramil didn't change his mind about going with them, what will he be doing back at the Inn?
    (I was just about to get to that, but I'm a bit slow sometimes.)

Aramil does not reply to Eltain's chastisement. He simply did not think that they would be so focused on this fool's errand that he couldn't dissuade them from it. The four leave while Aramil is still calculating a formal argument. He sighs, and after checking back in at the Inn, he heads off again to the library. If he can't leave for home immediately, he can at least sift through the news archives to catch up on anything that occurred while he was gone.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

(Time warp)

Eltain lets out a half-strangled cry of frustration at Aramil's continued lack of response.

"Then be that way. I don't want to talk to you right now either. If you come to your senses, maybe there'll be time for us to talk before I leave for the Winter Lands. At least Toveliss and Certhiel want me around." He sighs as he turns away from Aramil to follow the others, biting his lip to try to keep tears from falling. He can't understand why Aramil suddenly seems to want nothing to do with him. Wasn't Aramil the one he'd thought of almost as the brother he'd never had? The one who'd first taught him how to get more in touch with his fey nature? It hurt almost as much as the day he'd realized that other children had parents, and that his weren't ever going to come for him. In his distracted, heartbroken state, he's not very good at hiding.

(End time warp)

27. - Top - End - #117

"I don't like this." Zyrr whispers as he stares at the bladelings. "That seems like something I'd do, and I don't have any bright ideas to shake up their plan. Even though we've come all this way, I say we retreat for now."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shrugs helplessly. "I've got a few ideas for pulling them out of ambush and taking care of the lot of them, but I really don't see how that would solve much of anything. The reason I wanted to follow them was to see where they were going. Now that they've spotted us, they aren't going to continue on without first taking care of us. If we get into a rumble with them and knock them all out, even as prisoners I doubt they would (or could) tell us much."

"I could send an illusion of Eltain down the alley to see how they react. I'd guess they'll converge on him, so I could follow that up with a sleep spell, but I just don't know what that would gain us right now."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do now that they've seen us. Let's go back to the inn." He sighs in relief. At least they weren't going to try anything really stupid.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Sure, let's go," Lucan says. He keeps an eye on the apparent ambush as they leave.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+18)[23]