New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part II [4E]

Aramil looks toward the door to his father's quarters. "Father may have cast aside subtlety, but I cannot abandon his cause. I will see if I can dissuade him from engaging us in open war, but the Prince of Frost has overstepped his bounds by far. If we do not stand against his injustices, who will?"

He turns to look directly at Azula. "And you... you're one of the last I would have suspected to ask this. Has something changed since I last left?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

---------- Aramil ---------

Azula sighs. "No, nothing has changed. I'm simply trying to be level headed. I know that isn't common among the faerie, but some of us do try."

She looks down for a long moment, before again meeting Aramil's gaze. "You will speak for the family. Whatever choice you make, I will abide by it. I simply want to make you aware of all the options. The Spring Court hasn't even existed for two Millenia yet, and I don't want to see it destroyed if there's some way we can save everything our grandsires fought to create."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's go let Toveliss know we're here. Well, we'll probably have to let a servant know and then go find lodgings, but at least he'll know we've come," Eltain says, looking around. The nostalgia is nearly overwhelming. He plots a course through the noble district that will avoid the temples that presumably still dislike him, and leads the others through the city to Certhiel's palace.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

--------- Eltain, Pavick & Lucan ----------

The ice bridges are surprisingly not as difficult to navigate across as you would have guessed, and you're able to navigate your way to the grand staircase itself without too much difficulty. Ascending it takes a few minutes (and seems a bit ironic, seeing as you had walked hundreds of steps to get below this level just minutes prior), and before long you find yourself passing the temples to Corellon annd the Raven Queen, and are standing before the entrance to the Sharma household. The door is emblazoned with the family crest, a perfect 6-pointed snowflake, with a pale blue flame at the center.

A pair of guards, step in front of you before you can enter, but Eltain's mark of Corellon upon his cheek seems to put them mildly at ease. Word is sent ahead, and after a few minutes, the door opens up and you find yourself standing in a foyer. The floor, like so many other things, is a thick layer of ice, but supporting the ceiling are large lavender-colored columns made of marble, polished and glistening. Icicles with an eternal flame cast inside serve as light, and are set up regularly around the edges of the room, and a large woven rug ahead of you provides some respite from the freezing floor. The combination of ice and polished stone makes the lights flicker and dance across the room, but you've only had a minute to examine it before another set of large double doors open at the far end.

Toveliss steps through them, followed a moment later by Limara. They are dressed similarly to each other, barring the thick fur-lined coat Limara has clutched about her, and Toveliss extends a hand in greeting. "Ah, Eltain, fantastic! I'd hoped you'd gotten my message. And you brought your friends! I trust all went well in Sigil?" He nods politely to Pavick and Lucan. Limara's reaction is a bit different, offering a polite nod to Eltain only, and a relatively warm smile for the gnome and the bard.

Toveliss motions for you all to follow. "Do come in, we were just about to sit down for dinner. Would you care to join us, or have you already eaten?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-11-20 at 11:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain smiles warmly at both Toveliss and Limara, grasping the former's hand in greeting.

"It's good to see you again. I have to admit I was rather surprised by your letter, but I'm glad you think highly enough of me to invite me to come. Indeed, our business was concluded successfully. And yes, these are my friends, Lucan Thoene and Pavick Roslow." He turns to Limara and extends his hand to her. "Aramil sends his regards. I hope you've been doing well here myself, I know the Winter Lands can seem, well, rather cold to those who aren't from them."

He nods at Toveliss' question. "We haven't eaten yet, no. Do forgive the imposition, I've been away for some time and gotten used to the customs of other lands where dinner is eaten earlier, I'd quite forgotten about the timing of it here."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Is it indeed." The Shepherd nods his head, halting in the middle of the stone path that splits the green of the garden to lean on his staff. "You speak wisdom. But I would answer your question with another question. Where does the mountain end, and that which grows atop the mountain begin? Is the mountain truly a part of that which sits atop it, that uses its face and its strong surface, or is the mountain simply the mountain, the bone and sinew of the world itself? When that blanket dies, does the mountain care, or does the mountain shrug?"

The Shepherd tilted his head, a sigh of a smile on his face.

"I have asked too many questions. I believe I can put it plainly, however. Is there truly a price for the mountain at all?" His stony fingers flex atop the head of his curved staff, gentleness in each smooth movement. "The mountain is admirable for its persistence, and its resilience, but the mountain is cold. It is unliving--not dead, for it was never alive to begin with. It is simply cold stone, unmoving, uncaring, and unwavering. Therefore I wonder if the mountain truly should be emulated at all."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Dinner sounds good," Lucan says. "I'm getting kind of hungry."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

-------- Aramil ---------

The door to Lord Printempest's chamber opens, and Aramil's father steps out, speaking with his servant Iain. -crecy; only choose people you trust absolutely for all ration deliveries." He stops, seeing Aramil, and the older Eladrin's face lights up. "Ah, Aramil! I hadn't realized you'd arrived! Come in, we've much to discuss before the other Lords arrive tomorrow."

He ushers in Aramil and Azula, and motions for you to sit around the large table with a map of the feywild spread out across it. He coughs into a folded handkerchief made of woven leaves, before beginning to speak. "Aramil, the mercenaries you hired have arrived and are being kept hidden in a near-by caverns. We've warded them and set up cold-iron circles to keep out any prying noses, so I don't think anyone from the Winter Courts are aware of them. The representatives from the Altshuler and Ressort families will arrive tomorrow, and we'll discuss strategy for the Court once they get here. The Ressorts have always hated the Winter Fey, so I doubt they'll be too much trouble, and Lady Elliane should be representing the Altshuler's and she owes me a favor, so if nothing else we can use that as leverage to persuade them to our side." The Sidhe Lord's rapid speaking is interrupted by a fit of coughing, and Lord Printempest has to take a step back to compose himself. Iain steps over to help him sit, but Aramil's father waves him away.

"Once we arrive at Senaliesse, our priority will be to meet with as many members of the other Courts to try and drum up support before we make our accusations in the Assembly. We should try and speak first once the Assembly is convened in case any binding treaties or agreements favorable to the Winter Court are made before our declaration of war, and cause us to lose allies in the fight." Lord Printempest stops to catch his breath, looking a bit pale. It's clear that he's still not entirely healthy, but his eyes are filled with anger as he lays out his plans.

Before he can begin speaking again, Azula raises a finger. "M'Lord, maybe you should see what your son has to say about all this?"

------------ Zyrr & Shep ---------------

Selene moves in, and begins arranging the sheets on the beds. "If you do not wish to emulate a mountain, than what do you wish to be?" she asks, politely, her attention focused on the bedding in front of her.

------------ Eltain, Pavick, & Lucan ---------------

Limara shakes Eltain's hand politely, and a nod of appreciation at word of Aramil's regards.

Toveliss places a hand on Lucan's shoulder with a laugh. "Well, that's something we can address. This way..." He leads you through the double doors into a sitting room, before turning and bringing you to a large, brightly lit dining area. Like much of the house, the dining room seems to be a combination of ice and polished marble. The table, however, appears to be a long, dark stormcloud in the middle of the room, hovering a few feet above the floor. There doesn't seem to be any supports for it, and glancing underneath you can see snow and rain falling from the bottom of the cloud, although none seems to be gathering on the floor. There's even an occasional lightning strike, although the thunderclap that accompanies them are more akin to the sound from a popping fire rather than the normal explosion from a lighting bolt.

Around the table, a number of small, white clouds float, and Toveliss takes a seat on one near the head, motioning the rest of you to do the same. As servants begin bringing in food (fairly typical feywild fare: Berries, fruit, salad, and honey), the door from the sitting room again opens, and Certhiel steps into the room. The air immediately drops a few degrees, but the Gaele of Winter smiles as she sees you all. "Ah, we have guests. How marvelous." Toveliss and Limara stand as Certhiel enters, and subtly motion for the rest of you to do the same. They sit back down as Certhiel takes her seat at the head of the table.

For a long while, Certhiel simply watches everyone, eying Eltain primarily. As you eat, Toveliss tries to keep the conversation flowing, but there is definitely a bit of tension in the room. As dessert is being served, Certhiel leans forward with that cold smile, speaking for the first time. "Now isn't this wonderful? Dining with family and friends; what could be more joyous? She leisurely takes a bite of her dessert before continuing. "Having my son and a new daughter-in-law here with me, I find that life is more full and meaningful." Her gaze shifts to Eltain. "There are few things more important than family, don't you agree, Eltain?" She smiles sweetly at the paladin, watching his reaction closely.

There's an awkward pause for a moment, when Limara hastily speaks before Eltain has a chance to respond. "Lucan, if I remember correctly, you were going back to Sigil to deal with some odd man who kept scrying on you. How did that go?" She smiles at the half-elf, and you get the distinct impression that she is trying to change the topic of conversation.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain gives a sad smile when Certhiel asks her question and looks quietly away, pain etched on his face as snow swirls quietly about him. He seems not to even hear Limara's attempt at changing the subject, and after a moment he speaks softly.

"I... Would not know, Lady Certhiel. I've never had a family. I don't even know who my parents are, or if they're alive, or if they ever even wanted me. When I've been around people who do have families, yes, they seem to care for their family more than anything in the world... I guess my companions are the closest thing I've got to a family, and they are very important to me..." He trails off sadly, and stares down at his dessert.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"What? Oh, the scrying. Yes, it turned out to be a friend of my father's. My father had gotten into some trouble, and there were some magic that affected me."

11. - Top - End - #191

"I like how you entirely diverted the subject from yourself to me." The Shepherd said slyly; it was not every day that he found someone as cryptic and evasive as himself. He had to stoop to enter the dwelling's low entry way, and he then began to assist Selene in preparing the beds with his oddly dexterous fingers.

"We have established that neither of us is the mountain. So in that case, what exactly are you?"

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

---------- Eltain, Lucan, & Pavick ------------

Certhiel watches Eltain as he speaks, and you can see her eyes sparkling as she listens to the former-Paladin. "Never known a family? That is a shame." She tsks softly, her eyes never leaving Eltain's downcast face. Toveliss gives his mother a disapproving look, and opens his mouth as if to speak, but after a moment closes it again.

The Gaele leans forward, her elbows resting on the table. "And if you did find your family, how would you react? Would your loyalty to them be the same as it is to your new companions?"

Limara gives Lucan a frustrated look, before speaking up again, slightly louder. "So Pavick, I understand you've been made a Grandmaster back on the Prime Material. Which school of magic have you made your focus?"

Certhiel ignores Limara, and continues watching Eltain; while Toveliss' gaze shifts from his wife to his mother. He seems a bit confused at the moment.

------------- Shep and Zyrr -------------

Selene stands, still folding sheets and turns to look at the Shepherd. "What am I? I'm simply a Lady's servant. Nothing more." She gives Shep a smile, before turning and looking at Zyrr. "And what of you, Master Drow? I remember you being talkative. Are you a mountain, or are you something else as well?"

OOC: Feel free to give me an insight check if you wish.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick licks a drop of honey from his finger tips, as he contemplates his answer. It didn't take a genius to see that Limara was desperately trying to change the subject while Lady Certhiel was simultaneously holding onto it like a dog with a bone. Whatever their motivations are, Pavick trusts Limara's much more than the Gaele's.

"Yes, I was. You obviously have kept in touch with things on the Prime. We are a small guild, but I am proud of the title." A wide smile forms on his face. "I consider myself a dabbler. Primarily I deal with illusions, charms, and teleportation magics, I suppose, but it is so hard to devote all of my time to just one field. There are too many interesting things to learn out there."

He turns to Eltain, hoping that by drawing him into Limara's conversation, he'll be able to shake Certhiel off her bone. "Eltain, I understand you've been working with Aramil," he turns to Lady Certhiel, and adds, "Limara's brother," for her benefit. He knew full well she would know who he was referring to, but wanted to try to draw her off track as well. "He's been helping you practice some of the arcane arts too, has he not? What sorts of spells have you been working on?"

14. - Top - End - #194

"My dear," The Shepherd said, as he shook the blankets out over one of the beds, so that it laid perfect atop the underlying mattress, "The day I believe that will be the day I begin herding sheep."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Our situation is precarious, as I understand it. While I agree that war may be our only option, we'll have to make sure we are not seen as the aggressors, since the Pale Prince has both numbers and millennia of political maneuvering at his side."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

----------Aramil---------

Azula nods. "So the question is, how do we clearly paint the Winter Fey as the aggressors, and ourselves as the victims? Uncle's current position clearly helps us, but the only evidence we have is the word of one lowly member of the Winter Court. That may not be enough to sway those who are on the fence."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Just before the trio activates the portal from Mythrassar, Zyrr blurts out "Hold a minute." before he straightens his tunic, tucks his knives away in his haversack, and, with a sigh, raises his hands up beside his head, palms forward. "....Proceed." He greets the guards with a smile and nothing more until things get established.

---

"Hmm...." The drow scratches his chin, deep in thought. "If he is the mountain, then I am the insect scurrying deep within the earth's embrace while the weather wars upon the surface. ...Or at least I was. Just recently I was dug up and placed among the blades of grass to defend myself from the likes of bats." He chuckles at how easily he's gotten wrapped up in the Shepherd's game. "Now that I'm here, I suppose I'll throw my lot in with the spring flowers. I've already been stirring up their soil after all, they might protect me from the bitter cold of a late frost."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain frowns, confused by both Certhiel's line of questioning and Limara's continuing attempts to disrupt it.

"I don't know. I suppose at this point it would depend on what kind of people they were, and whether or not they wanted anything to do with me. And I suppose it would take time. I'm loyal to my companions because we've been friends for a time now, and we've fought and lived together. It is hard to speak accurately of people you've never known; and I am obviously of the Winter fey, who have something of a reputation for being cold and harsh," he looks at Toveliss and smiles, "Undeserved though that may be." He pauses and frowns. "But I suppose that even winter can have its warmth and comforts, and I've seen first-hand that even spring can be cold and distant. People must be judged based on their own actions, not on where they come from or what relations they have or don't have to you." He looks at Limara meaningfully, frowning slightly. His treatment by her family and her own attitudes have not been lost on him.

At Pavick's question, he raises an eyebrow.

"Ahh, there you wizards go again. Everything is spells with you." He laughs. "Spells are only a small part of the beautiful tapestry of magic that Corellon has gifted to us. The magic I practice is based in intuition and improvisation, and uses little in the way of formal spells."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

---------- Shep and Zyrr ------------

Selene looks at the Drow for a long moment. "How..." she searches for the appropriate word, "...metaphorical."

Clearing her throat, she moves to the door. "I believe your presence will be requested at the meeting of the Spring Lords tomorrow, master Drow." She looks at Shep. "And it may not be my place to say, but I believe they would have much to learn from your wisdom, should you wish to accompany him."

With that, she exits, leaving Shep and Zyrr alone.

----------- Eltain, Lucan, and Pavick ------------

Certhiel studies Eltain for a long minute, eyes half-closed, but never blinking, before she finally speaks, although to no one in particular. Well...isn't that interesting."

Toveliss seems a bit perplexed, but he does join in the conversation. "Ah, Aramil has been teaching you magic? I've heard that he's fairly talented." he gives a supportive smile to Limara, who isn't paying attention, but is instead staring at Certhiel. Er...at any rate," Toveliss resumes, realizing his wife isn't paying attention, "I agree that there are many facinating forms of magic. I was a complete disaster at learning even some of the basic wizard's spells, so I tip my hat to one who is skillful enough to earn such a title." He tips an imaginary hat in Pavick's direction. Turning to Eltain, his eyes light up. "Ah, but of course, you're a paladin of Corellon. Tomorrow, you should visit the temple here. It's absolutely splendid, I'm sure you'd enjoy it."

OOC: The rest of the meal will consist of mostly awkward smalltalk. Anything else you want to ask/mention before we move on?
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-11-22 at 03:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

"I... Am quite familiar with it. I was raised there."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

-----------Eltain, Pavick & Lucan-------------

Toveliss' eyebrows raise. "Really? What an odd coincidence. You must have been there while I was away for my studies. What are the odds of that?" he gives a chuckle, but quickly realizes that no one else is really laughing with him.

At the end of the table, Certhiel places her utensils on the table. "If you would all excuse me, I think I shall retire for the night." She stands, and begins gliding towards the door, snow falling in her wake. Reaching for the handle, she pauses, and turns back. "Eltain, would you walk with me for a moment?"

OOC: Assuming Eltain goes with her...

As the pair walk out the door, Limara watches suspiciously, before turning to Toveliss. "Husband, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak with Lucan and Pavick for a moment, alone." Toveliss begins to protest, but realizing that he has no real reason, he simply shrugs, and nods. He stands, gives Limara an affectionate squeeze on her shoulder and a polite nod to Lucan and Pavick, before exiting the chamber.

Once Toveliss is gone, Limara turns to the gnome and the bard, and begins speaking quickly. "Most of the palace is warded, so we should be safe to talk. Tell me, how is my brother? Do you know what my families plans are for the Court of Stars? Is there a plan to get me out of here?"

----------- Eltain ----------

Moving down the hallways of the house, Certhiel walks primarily in silence, studying the half-Eladrin next to her. After several long minutes of the soundless promenade, the Gaele finally speaks. "Tell me, Eltain....Do you have anything you wish to ask of me?"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain frowns slightly. "Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing much about you or ever seeing you while I was growing up. Then again, they kept the trainees out of the main hall most of the time, we had our own areas; and there were a few years where I was at the arcane academy."

Eltain's first instinct is to refuse and in fact to possibly run away at Certhiel's invitation, but he can't think of a polite reason to refuse, or even an impolite one that isn't a direct insult, so he nods and rises to join her, shooting a look back at Lucan and Pavick that seems to say 'If I'm not back in half an hour send a search party'.

He walks quietly next to her, looking at her from time to time, trying to shake the strange feeling of familiarity he always has around her.

He pauses thoughtfully when she asks her question.

"Forgive me if this sounds forward or a bit insulting, but... Why did you want me here? When we ran into you in Mythrassar, according to Aramil you indirectly threatened me, and later at Aramil's family's place, well, you didn't move against us, but Aramil noted that you'd been rather, well, cold to him. And now suddenly Toveliss wants me to attend the Court of Stars with the Winter Court, and says that you supported the idea. I can't figure out what possible reason you'd have for suddenly wanting me here. It's not like I'm some sort of noble or influential figure, I'm merely a servant of Corellon of no known lineage. I don't know who my parents are or if they're even alive. So... Why the sudden interest in me?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well, we'll obviously need more information. What has happened to the beholder's farm since we raided it? Is it possible to produce more of the antidote? Can we get any physical proof from within the Winter realms themselves? How do the other courts lean, do we have any sympathetic Archfey? Also, with Limara in the Winter lands, perhaps we should probe to see if we can fracture the Prince's own court."

Aramil frowns. "But as to the psychological aspect, well, we all know that I was trained more for combat and strategy than politics. I do not believe I am suited to the task of politically outmaneuvering an Archfey."

24. - Top - End - #204

Zyrr turns to the Shepherd after the servant departs. "Which leaves us an evening, I suppose. We could go have a night on the town, or..... play checkers."

He twirls a gold coin in his hand as he waits for a response. "Such a tough decision, I know."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick smiles and waves to Toveliss as he leaves. Then he leans in to speak with Limara. "Aramil is fine. I believe the stress of this whole situation is weighing heavily on him, but I think that is the case for most of us."

He glances around the room, making sure that they are truly alone before continuing. "Your family is preparing for the Court of Stars, but more importantly, they are preparing for what they believe will happen after the Court. After the recent attempt on your father's life... they expect that peace in the feywilds will not last for much longer. I think they are looking at the Court as a last opportunity for the factions to determine where their loyalties will lie."

"It appears you have been treated well here. Is that really the case? I don't know what plans have been made for you later. I assume that sort of thing is being ironed out in the time we have left before the Court."

26. - Top - End - #206

The goliath stared down at the drow for a very long time, unblinking, and showing no emotion whatsoever. The statue he had become broke suddenly, as he pointed one long, graceful gray arm out the window of the bedroom towards a misty mountain peak that crested against the horizon.

"I bet I can get to the top of that mountain before you can."

27. - Top - End - #207

Zyrr squints his violet eyes as he stares up the mountain. Racing a goliath goatherder who seems to be one with the very mountain he will be climbing, when he himself is much more used to climbing stalactites. The odds are incalculable. Victory is impossible. Humiliation and death are likely, in that order.

That's never stopped him before.

He turns back to the Shepherd and extends a dark hand, his half of the impromptue starting signal of this improvized race. "Challenge accepted."
    Last edited by Toric; 2011-11-23 at 01:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

----------- Eltain ------------

Certhiel gives a deep, throaty laugh "Threaten you? No, no, of course not. That was simply to keep the Printempest boy on his toes. You can't take everything he says so seriously. The Spring Fey are notoriously untrustworthy..." She smiles at Eltain, but the glint of malice never completely leaves her eye. "Toveliss was suggesting a list of possible alternates we could bring with us to the court, since some of the Winter Lords will be unable to attend, and when he mentioned your name, I thought this was a perfect time for us to meet face-to-face."

She pauses, and pulls a key from a small pocket in her cloak, and turns to face a narrow side door in the hallway. Inserting the key, she murmurs a pass-phrase as the door opens up. Inside is a small room, filled with a number of large wardrobes and chests, and Certhiel begins moving through the room, glancing inside of each wardrobe, searching for something.

"You see, you've become very powerful in your own right. I was there for what happened in Mythrassar, and I've heard stories of fighting Drow on the streets of Sigil, rescuing gnome slaves... You've become quite the hero. Naturally, I thought this to be a good time to meet with you, and see to it that you properly reflect your heritage." She pauses, thinking for a moment, before turning, and focusing on one of the tall armoires in the corner. "Ah, I think this is it. You see, Eltain, in spite of your past mistakes with some of the local temples, mistakes we've taken care of by the way, you have the potential to become a very valuable member of the Winter Court. In the uncertain times ahead, we simply want to be sure that we're supporting you, and that you in turn, will support us. Ah, here it is..."

From out of the back of the wardrobe, she pulls out a long cloak. As the light falls on it, it seems to swirl in shades of blue and white, and on the clasp is the Sharma family symbol: the six-pointed snowflake with the flame in the center. Eltain's magical training tells him immediately that this cloak has a potent enchantment on it.

Certhiel smiles, "You've been away far too long. It's time to come back to the Winter Courts and realize your true potential. You need to embrace who you truly are, the son of one of the most powerful Sidhe families in the Winter Lands." She hands Eltain the cloak, and places her hand on his. "Your family wants you back..."

------------ Lucan & Pavick -----------

Limara stares at Pavick. "Wait, you aren't here to help get me out?" She curses loudly. "Then why did you come? The Winter Fey are dangerous, I thought that your coming was part of a plan!" She sighs in frustration, pinching the bridge of her nose in a way that's very reminiscent of Aramil. "I think my husband means well enough, but I am unsure. Certhiel is up to something, that I know. She's been far too curious about your activities, particularly how it relates to Eltain. I'm not sure why she wants him, but Eltain knows too much about our plans for us to let him get sucked into whatever Certhiel is planning."

Limara lowers her voice. "I think Certhiel has been gathering troops. I've seen a number of visitors appearing under all sorts of guises. Merchants, priests, travelers... But there's an air to a soldier that they can't hide, and I'm certain that they're building up forces, I just don't know where."

------------ Aramil -----------

Lord Printempest shakes his head. "We sent a squadron of house guards to the farm, but by the time they got their the entire thing had been burned to the ground. Not certain if it was the Fomorians, the Winter Fey, the Gnomes, or just the usual miscreants that wander through the Feydark." He pauses, thinking. "Would any of the gnomes you rescued know how to grow more of it?"

Azula nods. "That's worth looking into. As far as the rest of the Archfey, it's uncertain. The Summer Court have always been our allies, but the trick will be getting Tiandra to take a stand against her son. Without Oran, Selephra runs most of the Green Court, and I can see her in favor of any plan that put the mortal worlds under the rule of the Faerie. The other Green Archfey are difficult to predict. Hyrsam will likely try and stay out of any conflict, and Zebechial is no friend to the Winter Courts, but Selephra does have some influence over him."

She sighs, counting on her fingers. "The Court of Coral stays out of the affairs on land, but we may be able to sway them if battle lines are truly drawn. As for the Gloaming, I imagine the Maiden would oppose the Prince of Frost, but I can't speak for the Prince of Hearts or the Witch of Fates. Queen Mab has little love for Mortals, but if we can prove that they were responsible for Oran, we may be able to persuade her."

Azula shrugs. "That leaves the Baba Yaga, whose help I wouldn't accept even if she offered it; and the House of Flowers, who will side with whomever promises to help them in their crusade against the Drow." She purses her lips thoughtfully. "If you could communicate with Limara, where would you want her to focus her efforts?"

------------ Shep and Zyrr -----------

The mountain and the shadow disappear into the night, heading towards the distant peak. The race starts off much as a normal footrace through the fields, but soon the magic of the feywild begins filling your lungs, and you find each step you take covering more and more ground, and each leap through the air taking you further, and higher than you thought possible. Before long, you are miles from the Printempest estate, moving through the colossal trees and luminescent ferns like an arrow, while magical creatures watch you from within the darkness.

Eventually, you arrive at the foothills of the mountain, and ahead of you is a sheer cliff cut in half by a waterfall that reaches up almost out of sight into the heights above.

Do you :
    a) Swim up the waterfall
    b) Leap from tree to rock, and bound up the side of the cliff
    c) Charm one of the creatures of the forest into taking you to the top
    d) other

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain suppresses a sneer as Certhiel tries to defame Aramil. He trusts Aramil far too much for his loyalty to be twisted that quickly. The annoyance quickly turns to stunned shock as Certhiel continues to speak. That she wants him to join the Winter Court is surprise enough. When she hands him the cloak, and speaks of his family, it all finally clicks into place with a shuddering crash like a thousand icicles falling to the ground at once. Of course Certhiel and Toveliss looked familiar. He saw a similar face every day, didn't he, every time he looked in a mirror. For a long moment he can't speak, simply staring at Certhiel as the realization washes over him.

"...You're... I should have realized..." He blinks twice, the air about him heavy with confusedly swirling snow. "You're my mother." He pauses for a moment, unable to fully comprehend all the implications and ramifications of this. Then the urges he's had all his life take over, and before he can stop himself, he's grabbed Certhiel in a tight hug, crying on her shoulder. For the moment he cares nothing for politics, or how evil she might seem, or how much he's disliked her in the past. All that matters is that he finally has an answer, and somewhere he can finally belong.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil nods, looking to be in thought even as he speaks. "I don't know if the gnomes knew the full process. I believe the beholder likely took several of the secrets with him... though I have suspicions that the beholder wasn't acting alone, either... as to the other courts, we may be able to at least force the Flowers to remain neutral, as our activities have enraged Zyrr's mistresses and forced him to break free from them. We'll need to show he's trustworthy, however, as he's our poisons expert and probably the only one who can prove that Oran was poisoned. Even then, we'd need..."

He raises his head, his determined smirk hinting at the intent of the following question. "Had any of the Winter lords taken to such illness?"