New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Tintin: Second Trailer is out!

And it's pretty dang shiny

I, for one, am very excited by what I see. Very. Excited. Geeking out, even. This guy was one of the staples of my childhood.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tintin: Second Trailer is out!

Shiny, indeed. I hope the French translation will be good -- Tintin in English just doesn't feel right to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm. I would have to watch it in German. I've watched all the previous movies only in German, and I've read the comics only in German...
    But German translations tend to be rather bad. My French is also bad. That's difficult.

Also: Power that could change History? What are they talking about?
    Also also: Evil? Haddock firing a Rocket Launcher?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-10-21 at 12:52 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4

I have a bad mixed feelings about this... I hope there won't be some kind of sci-fi-ish unobtanium-based MacGuffin in the treasure chest.

I guess there won't be opium smuggling in this film. Sad, because it was one of the first hints that the Tintin books weren't just "children's comics".

I hope that when Roman Polanski has duly served time, he will get to direct a Tintin film about Tintin fighting fascist conspiracies in Eastern Europe.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tintin in English makes me want to vomit. Also, there are so many better books than Le Secret de la Licorne in terms of movie adaptation, stuff like Les Sept Boules de Crystal, Les Cigares du Pharaon, L'Étoile Mysterieuse and a lot of other ones would have been way better (fine that last one's not amazing, but I personally love it...).
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who thought Tintin was the dog, this looks incredible.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It looks engaging but reaaaally hits the uncanny valley with the characters. They look really odd in this almost-realistic style rather than the clean simple style of the comic. With the level of detail I'm not sure if live actors would be preferable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

On the one hand, I tend to be cynical about this sort of "re-imagining". I've been burned too many times.

On the other hand: Steven Speilberg + Peter Jackson + Stephen Moffat + Edgar Wright = the frigging best behind-the-scenes team up conceivable.

Seriously, if this movie sucks it can only because having so many brilliant people working on it caused some sort of integer overflow of awesomeness.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    Tintin in English makes me want to vomit. Also, there are so many better books than Le Secret de la Licorne in terms of movie adaptation, stuff like Les Sept Boules de Crystal, Les Cigares du Pharaon, L'Étoile Mysterieuse and a lot of other ones would have been way better (fine that last one's not amazing, but I personally love it...).
    OK, for the people that keep saying this...*THE FILM IS IN FRENCH AS WELL*

Ya really think they'd release this in English speaking countries in it's original language? Really???

And speaking of the film in French, we get to see it here next Tuesday...

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, as for the "mysterious ancient power"....
    The original series *did* have aliens and (perhaps) magic. Any Yetis.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, as for the "mysterious ancient power"....
    The original series *did* have aliens and (perhaps) magic. Any Yetis.
    But not in the The Crab with the Golden Claws (thriller about narcotics smuggling), The Secret of the Unicorn (detective story about the missing model ships) and Red Rackham's Treasure (a "traditional" treasure hunt with lots of humour in it). Not even Calculus' inventions are really that sci-fi here, the shark submarine was based on a real life shark U-boat used by the Whacky Nazis.

But yeah, what you mentioned might be what made Spielberg and rest of the gang include that.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

12. - Top - End - #12

Oh, true enough. I'd even say the one with the Aliens was one of hte weakest of the comic books and the more traditional pulp/Adventure/detective stories were better. But the elements were there.

Still, I really hope they don't overplay that part.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Oh dear me. Is Spielberg at it again with the aliens?
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    On the one hand, I tend to be cynical about this sort of "re-imagining". I've been burned too many times.

On the other hand: Steven Speilberg + Peter Jackson + Stephen Moffat + Edgar Wright = the frigging best behind-the-scenes team up conceivable.

Seriously, if this movie sucks it can only because having so many brilliant people working on it caused some sort of integer overflow of awesomeness.
    Lets not forget John Williams.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Oh, true enough. I'd even say the one with the Aliens was one of hte weakest of the comic books and the more traditional pulp/Adventure/detective stories were better. But the elements were there.

Still, I really hope they don't overplay that part.
    To be fair, the aliens were pretty darn subtle, and Flight 714 was part of Hergé's "deconstruction" period (previously serious villains are made to look silly, later in Tintin and the Picaros, Tintin doesn't want to adventure and Haddock can't drink, etc).

Hergé did say that the reason he didn't want to make more science fiction/space travel stories after Destination Moon/Explorers on the Moon, was that he was so serious when doing those and making more serious (hard) science fiction would be boring and pointless, especially since he wouldn't have aliens (of the Bug-Eyed Monster variety).

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I am not impressed.

To be fair Tintin was never one of my favorites; Lucky Luke, Asterix, Iznogoud and Gaston were higher up on my scale when it came to the Belgian-French comic tradition (dad always read Lucky Luke for us as bedtime stories when I was little). That said the main reason for me is the style. I was very excited when I first heard of this until I saw that they were going for the CGI look.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know why people are so down on the English translations, and hold the French ones in such high regard relative to them. At least in my opinion, Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper made an enormous number of developments and developed idioms that for me characterise what makes Tintin so awesome - 'billions of blue bubonic blistering barnacles and bashi-bazouks', and so on. They didn't go for a 100% accurate translation, but were instead much more concerned with something that captures the spirit of the original, and had Herge's blessing, and encouragment, to take it where they wanted - Dupont and Dupond into the distinctly different Thompson and Thomson. I don't know if Turner or Lonsdale-Cooper had any role in the film, as Turner died in 2009, but if Spielberg et al. took their cues from that translation, then I'm happy on that front.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morganatic View Post
    I don't know why people are so down on the English translations, and hold the French ones in such high regard relative to them. At least in my opinion, Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper made an enormous number of developments and developed idioms that for me characterise what makes Tintin so awesome - 'billions of blue bubonic blistering barnacles and bashi-bazouks', and so on.
    I have no experience with the English translations but the Swedish translations were extremely high quality, just as for the other comics I listed above. The did and AMAZING job.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I have no experience with the English translations but the Swedish translations were extremely high quality, just as for the other comics I listed above. The did and AMAZING job.
    Bomber och granater och krevader! Anfäkta och anamma!

Indeed they did!

To fully appreciate the French original, you need to know some stuff about Belgian and French culture and history. (Though the same could be said about the Swedish translations and Swedish context, like "sumprunkare" being an old profession, and "anamma" comes from "djävlar anamma" = "May devils take my soul", which is rather hardcore.) Also, the various fictitious languages in the world of Tintin are based on dialects in Brussels.

Also, you need to understand French.
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2011-10-24 at 07:34 AM.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

20. - Top - End - #20

I was somewhere between six and twelve years old at the time, but the German translation is the only thing I know, really, and they were good enough for me, then

I also had pretty much the entire TV series on video cassettes. No idea where that vanished to.

21. - Top - End - #21

I was somewhere between six and twelve years old at the time, but the German translation is the only thing I know, really, and they were good enough for me, then

I also had pretty much the entire TV series on video cassettes. No idea where that vanished to.
    Which of the series? The 1990's Nelvana or the old 1950/60's Belvision?

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

22. - Top - End - #22

I didn't know which one until I looked it up, but it seems to be I had boxed sets of the new ones, and a few TV-recorded copies of the old one in horrible quality.

Didn't know there were two, really. As I said, I was under ten years old at the time.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-10-24 at 08:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

You can get the new one completely in DVD; of the old one only The Calculus Affair story-arc (edited into one single film).

I remember fondly both series... Nostalgia wise I prefer the older one, but the later version has better production value and is far more faithful to the books.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

My tumblr

My DeviantART

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm fairly ambivalent about this film at the moment, not because of it being in English, I grew up reading the English versions (with the exception of Tintin in the Congo which my parents could only get a French copy of) so I'm fine with that. It's just the CGI visuals, it looks too uncanny valley, I feel either they should make it stylised like the comics or do it live action. On the other hand Speilberg, Jackson, Moffat, Cornish and Wright is one of those cinematic dream teams that I can't see doing anything wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25

I dunno, I'm fairly happy with it so far. I think to a point they're ratcheting the action up a little bit, which I guess is slightly understandable.

I don't see what the big deal with the characters is, really; I'd prefer cartoons over pure live action.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

26. - Top - End - #26

We've got tickets for tomorrow night...kids are excited..will let you know how it goes

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

On one hand, I love the Interwar period for action adventure. Porco Rosso is probably my favourite of the Ghibli films I have seen. I also think they did a good job of translating his famous top not to a somewhat more detailed medium.
    On other hand, I don't like all the action that appears to have been added. Tintin was never afraid to resort to good old fisticuffs if the need arose, but he was more known for thinking his way out of a bad situation. I can't think of a single one where Tintin or any of his associates would resort to a rocket launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I think my two biggest reasons I am not very interested is these:

1. The Uncanny Valley Weirdness choice. Either go all animation, or (preferred!) normal actors.

2. Too much action. Tintin has always been rather slow paced. But I guess they had to "spice it up" for the "kids". Or something.

29. - Top - End - #29

Yeah, the Rocket launcher scene was the one where I was really wondering how much this still has in common with the source material.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Yes, I think my two biggest reasons I am not very interested is these:

1. The Uncanny Valley Weirdness choice. Either go all animation, or (preferred!) normal actors.
    Personally, a somewhat higher budget version of the Nelvana series animation would have been my choice. But yes, this mix is a bit weird. The bit at the end of the trailer with the motorcycle looked like something added just so they could add it to the video game. The camera work even looked like something from a third person game.

2. Too much action. Tintin has always been rather slow paced. But I guess they had to "spice it up" for the "kids". Or something.
    Yeah. I also object to adding mystical elements to this particular adventure. Sure, Tintin has had supernatural and paranormal elements, ranging from Hollywood Hypnotism to Yetis to levitation, but the stories this seems to pretend to be based on didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding