New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Sorcerer

What bloodline and what feats would best fit a blaster?
    "An evoker kindly explains to the confused demon the difference between immunity and resistance."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Sorcerer

Draconic or maybe elemental bloodline to boost your favorite energy type. Half-orc and gnome have favored class/alternate-racial features that help too. Selective spell, empower and quicken are some of the best feats. Selective is on top because area spells are the best type of blasting, and selective spell lets you enclose more foes without hitting friends. The spell draconic reservoir is another way to pull this off.

I hope a blaster sorc was your own decision and not from popular opinion. Personally I prefer battlefield control sorcs. For them arcane blooded is pretty good, and you simply take the standard control spells. That said PF sends a lot of love to blasters; selective spell in particular allows devastating amounts of area damage once you consider how many targets you can hit at once.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-10-21 at 12:56 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Draconic gives +1 to your die for each die of that type.
    But Elemental allows you to change the damage type of a spell to your chosen type, which increases your spells known effectively and adding versatility. Besides, there is something intrinsically awesome about a Firebolt or Acid Ball.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-10-21 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If you go cross-blooded orc/dragonic bloodlines, and stack the half-orc alternate favored class bonus, you can get some nice extra damage (fire only). Unfortunately, this cuts into versatility as humans get a far larger spell list using their alternate FC.

Orc: +1 damage/die fire
    Draconic: +1 damage/die for bloodlines favored element (fire, in this case, red or gold dragon)
    Half Orc FC: each level = +1/2 point of fire spell damage

So at level ten, a fireball does 10D6+10 (orc)+10 (dragon) +5 (half-orc FC) = average of 60 damage. Add in metamagic rod of maximization for fun (85 damage), season with whatever metamagic you like.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-10-21 at 01:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tehhoods View Post
    What bloodline and what feats would best fit a blaster?
    Might be better to ask on PF forums, I know little about Sorcerer blasters personally.
    Although, Dazing Spell makes your blasting spells daze enemies.
    Magical Lineage lowers slot adjustment.

I heard: "Draconic, Elemental (Primal)[apg] or Orc [orcs of golarion] bloodlines, and possibly the half orc favored class bonus [apg]. All of these give a flat damage boost to your blasty spells"
    Example: Red Dragon blood + Half-Orc = 1.5 extra damage per die on every spell you cast...this will add up.

Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Elemental Focus, Greater Elemental Focus: all boost DC

"Intensified Spell lets you get some extra mileage out of those lower level spells, and when combined with Shocking Grasp, can have some really nice benefits. (Electrical Dragon bloodline, Magical Lineage, Intensified, Reach Shocking Grasp can net you a Close Range 10d6+10 Electricity touch attack, with no save for a 2nd level slot.) At a 4th level slot, that's dealing (10d6+10)*1.5 at close range or 10d6+10 at long range."

"For bloodlines, a blaster sorcerer is probably best off going human (for the extra spells known using the APG favored class bonus) crossblooded and wildblooded in elemental/primal (+1 damage per die with the associated energy type) and the associated genie (change any energy type into the associated energy type on casting). The extra spells more than counter the fewer spells known with the crossblooded archetype (except for your highest available spell level) and let you pick up spells of every energy type (to avoid resistances or target vulnerabilities), while the bloodline arcana allow you to switch the energy type to/do extra damage in one energy type (without needing a feat or raising the spell level)."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Crossblooded makes you lose a spell known which effectively puts you a sorcerer level behind on max spell level so you lose damage overall, at least on your best booms. If you have a lot of long fights and need to use your 2nd/3rd best a lot, I suppose it might be so-so.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-10-21 at 01:31 PM.
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Even sorcerers focused on blasting don't get all blasty spells. Don't be a one trick pony. More spells known ftw. I'd go Human Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline for your favorite energy type, and then go to town with at most 3 different blasts (magic missile/scorching ray/fireball is a fine early trio). You should have a ton of spells known left over for stuff like, fly, invisibility, teleport, greater dispel magic and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    Even sorcerers focused on blasting don't get all blasty spells. Don't be a one trick pony. More spells known ftw. I'd go Human Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline for your favorite energy type, and then go to town with at most 3 different blasts (magic missile/scorching ray/fireball is a fine early trio). You should have a ton of spells known left over for stuff like, fly, invisibility, teleport, greater dispel magic and the like.
    And for those higher level spell slots that you wat to fill with blasty spells, there's Empower and Maximize.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

True even just fireball and a way to get another energy type and you're already pretty well off. At low levels get flaming sphere and swap it out later. Black tentacles combines well with AoE blasting, as do similar spells. You can also mix in some of the best general purpose spells even though they're unrelated to blasting.

At higher levels a couple more good feats are piercing spell and/or greater spell penetration.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-10-21 at 04:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the advice guys.
    "An evoker kindly explains to the confused demon the difference between immunity and resistance."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

If doing a 3.P game, a Draconic Bloodline combined with taking a feat out of.. races of the Dragon I believe? anyway, the feat upgrades a daily use Breath weapon to a 1d4 rounds breath weapon. Take feat at 9th level when you gian the breath weapon.

at 11th, take quicken Breath Weapon.

Kick start every combat with an xd8 blast as a swift action!
    \"It Takes a Long time to count to 2 in binary.\"~fourlegged

"There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now."

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I guess you could adapt Time Lords into D and D. Rainbow Servant of Dr. Who.