New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Outside XXVII

This place is just as it sounds. It's outside.
    Want a change of scenery? Go outside.
    Always wanted to visit the beach? Come outside.
    Looking to have a climatic fight on clifftops? Attempt outside.
    Secret meetings being held where there's no cameras? Try outside.
    Want an ambush without nasty base defenses? Yep. Outside.

Any and all are welcome here. There are no NPCs unless you bring them in. The major exception is the creepy eyed squirrel. The creepy eyed squirrel does not interfere with anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel is everywhere outside. The creepy eyed squirrel is always watching. The creepy eyed squirrel never sleeps. The creepy eyed squirrel can not be damaged, manipulated, or killed by anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel will eat anyone's very being who attempts to do so. Anyone can god-mode the creepy eyed squirrel. You may pet the creepy eyed squirrel at your own risk.

Other NPCs currently include:
    The menacing crabs. These intimidating creatures are usually found by the shore.
    The non-existant duck. You'll miss every time you shoot at it.

There is very little you can't do outside. However, like always, please follow the forum rules and general rules of conduct. Private conversations can be held outside. If it seems like a private (secret) conversation, please respect that. Those having such a conversation should do their best to indicate it as such. Otherwise, other characters may stumble upon you. Those desiring to spy in on private conversations should first PM those holding the private conversation, more out of courtesy than anything else.

There are many areas outside, and people can be in multiple places outside. In order to keep areas outside separated so there's no confusion, consider bolding your outside location at the start of each of your posts, like so:

The Fields

Reinholdt sets up various targets and practices his sharpshooting. All these events recently has made him a bit rusty. To his left, he notes the creepy eyed squirrel. Giving him the heebie-jeebies, Reinholdt decides to head somewhere else.
    The Cliffside

Calublufiok broods over his latest scheme as he flies over the cliffs. The creepy eyed squirrel is watching him again. He finds occasionally landing and telling the creepy eyed squirrel his plans helps him find holes in his plotting.
    Note Reinholdt and Calublufiok do not interact because they are in different areas outside. They could interact, if Reinholdt moves to the cliffside. Of course, various things like telepathy help bypass this. Also, please note outside has no major buildings, though minor ones crop up from time to time.

And most importantly, enjoy outside. That's what this is all about.

Outside now contains various Outside locations! Such as...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Dead Pine Lake]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This lake lies in the middle of the forest. On the eastern shore, woodpeckers feast on the dead pines that give the lake its name. Sometimes one can find Lady Death here, the Aspect of Eve also known as The Grandmother, or Jedwiga.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Jedwiga.)

Spoiler
    Show

[The Islands]
    Spoiler
    Show

An island cluster forms an archipelago along the coast. Some of the islands are settled, some not, but most are at least occasionally visited by the fishermen who work these waters.

[Gersemi's Island]
    Spoiler
    Show

Gersemi the seighkona lives on a small island in the archipelago with a single hut and a few sheep. Inside the hut, there is a single room, and a fireplace. A loom rests in one corner.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Gersemi.)

[Redbrick Falls]
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous, cliffy region with a prominent waterfall. A large quarry once was worked in these cliffs. Now, only a few scattered villages and solitary dwellings remain.

[Norosa, Great City of the Elves]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Lawful Evil city with an incredibly strong military and a very charismatic leader (Archmage Tyrion Lannister). It has a few CG resisters, but, otherwise, it is a city of peace and law, despite its evil nature.

[Brillian's Baneful Bestiary]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A secret series of caves where a mad scientist lives. A mad scientist who creates mutant attack creatures. These can be purchased for the right price.

[Auxiliary MagCave]
    Spoiler
    Show

A relic from the days of the Age of Apocalypse, this abandoned cavern was once used by the infamous cyborg Magtok as a back-up laboratory and underground fortress, should Calublufiok have ever stormed the primary MagCave.

[The Katz Motel]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Located in the middle of Nowhere, our roadside motel is the only decent place for miles near the Taverna that has a bed. Run by a suave anthropomorphic cat, there is a strict No Dogs policy.

A bellhop by the name of Bates is always ready to assist in carrying your luggage. Please ignore his constant mutterings about his mother. Other more unsavory employees can occasionally be found. Please try to avoid eye contact with them.

We at the Katz Motel wish to ensure you have a splendid stay. Any inconvenience due to randomly locking doors, giant spiders, secret passages, vampires, creepy paintings, and the occasional possession and subsequent exorcism are incredibly rare. Just look at our complaint cards! Not a single one mentions dying horribly in their sleep or becoming food for the monster in the basement.

And if you get bored, the owner will always be up for a game of sport, old boy.

((The Katz Motel is a horror filled place with the highest casualty rate of any motel in the Nexus area. Checking in is usually pretty easy and pleasant. Checking out is rare. Anyone can play the Motel and the NPCs within, free to invent their own horror. The NPCs within that can die usually only suffer death temporarily, the supernatural force causing the disturbances bringing them back to life for its own nefarious purposes. PCs get no benefit from this.))

[The Troll Cave]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A cave in a craggy hill. The undergrowth outside is trampled completely flat, and there's not much wildlife. There's a burned patch where a fire is sometimes there. Inside are a few large caves, linked by surprisingly smooth tunnels that look like something big has been regularly pushing through them.

[Blind Cat's Bluff]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sheer cliff dropoff that travels straight down into the water, this is a favored point of people who commit suicide, romantics wanting to watch the sunset and anyone looking to get rid of evidence. The drop is pretty far and there are rocks at the bottom that spell almost certain doom, so watch your step.

[North Forest]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A magical forest with a mythical spring of beauty. A bit like the Weald, but not nearly as dangerous. For starters, you can find your way back out and the pixies aren't cannibals.

PM Reinholdt if you wish to add locations to Outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Spooky Woods]

Phlemy rough coughs are gross!

But not even the grossest of coughs are going to dissuade Amil from her quest! Completing quests is very important after all. Especially trivial things like delivering medicine or collecting twelve wolf pelts.

"We're not going away," Amil answers. "Not yet anyway. Your brother sent us here with some medicine for your... uuhh... moose bite."

Moose bites are serious business after all.

Can't take things like that lightly.

Amil knocks again.

"So if you could let us in we'll give you the medicine and we'll b on our way."
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    [Spooky Woods]

"You have the moosebane? Quickly, I need it! Oh, but you can't let any moonlight in. Otherwise... no, it's too terrible to think about." The hut appears to be carefully boarded up; how any air or sound is traveling through the tightly barricaded structure is a mystery. It appears the hut is covered with almost a layer of boards secured by nails; someone went to a lot of work to seal off the inside.
    ((Repost.))

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

[Obsidian Forest - The Ark]

There's certainly still a scent of explosives in the air. Though Rebo isn't totally sure what kind they would be. No diamond dust though! That smell no doubt follows Affy's creations wherever they go. Silly things.

Seems Magtok is becoming a more and more likely suspect.

But...

Doing something so covertly?

That really doesn't seem like him. If Maggy had blown up Zee no doubt he would have made a speech about it. Or crashed into her head with a zeppelin with his face painted on it. Or something.

There's also a distinct lack of weaponized animal smells. No laser geese have been here.

[Obsidian Forest]

The scanners will no doubt discover the very dense metal slug still lodged in the monster's brain. That's almost certainly what killed it.

"It's a biacky. Umm..."
    the chimera wrinkles his nose. "Byachee? Something like that. It's really hard to pronounce. They're parasites on Mother. We try to keep them cleared off. But we found this one already dead!"

Raril wrinkles his nose, snarling a bit at the acrid scent. "Chemical explosives." The drow determines. "Not gunpowder, either." He could recognize that easily enough.

Opening his eyes, Raril decides to give the area one more good look around for anything they might have missed, before heading back up the way they came in.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daniel has to pause and recollect himself before he can answer. That was... weird. "Well, not to be a critic, but... assuming you were responsible for that little experience I just had, you started off strong, but fumbled a few essential details. And then things just started getting so weird I had to suspect maybe I wasn't in my right mind, even if this is the Nexus and everything I saw was plausible." He looks around, curious. "The 8 theme is a little bit weird, too. But, um... if you don't mind me asking a question myself, why were you trying to scare me?"
    [Mysterious Room]

"Details... details... too strong... too strong..." The voice replies, sounding almost like his own echo.

There is a drawn out pause, the radio starting to play other Beatles songs until final there is a reply. "Out of pure spite. Was that the answer you were looking for?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mysterious Room]

"Details... details... too strong... too strong..." The voice replies, sounding almost like his own echo.

There is a drawn out pause, the radio starting to play other Beatles songs until final there is a reply. "Out of pure spite. Was that the answer you were looking for?"
    "Well, I guess it works. I mean, now I want to ask why you have so much pure spite for me, but it does sort of address my inquiry." The Neon Knight walks over to the radio. "Say, mind if I change the station? I know an awesome alt rock station."
    Last edited by Neon Knight; 2011-09-27 at 03:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Spooky Woods]

"You have the moosebane? Quickly, I need it! Oh, but you can't let any moonlight in. Otherwise... no, it's too terrible to think about." The hut appears to be carefully boarded up; how any air or sound is traveling through the tightly barricaded structure is a mystery. It appears the hut is covered with almost a layer of boards secured by nails; someone went to a lot of work to seal off the inside.
    Spooky Woods

What a difficult situation. This will require careful planning...

Or maybe a dwarven point of view.

"We go under. A tunnel with a curve in it will keep any light from shining though."

He begins to dig into the ground at the wall of the cabin.

"Horrid dirt. Amil, can ye produce a shovel?"

7. - Top - End - #7

[Mysterious Room]

"Strange words... why can't you be clear? Ever, ever... just don't change anything! Can't you die or something? Stupid... stupid..." There is another pause, much shorter then the first one before the voice starts up again.

"Ugh, this is hopeless, I can't even scare any of you creatures these days."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

[Mysterious Room]

"Strange words... why can't you be clear? Ever, ever... just don't change anything! Can't you die or something? Stupid... stupid..." There is another pause, much shorter then the first one before the voice starts up again.

"Ugh, this is hopeless, I can't even scare any of you creatures these days."
    [Mysterious Room]

"Hey, now, don't be so down on yourself. I'm sure, with some practice, you could downright terrifying." The Knight looked at the radio ruefully. "Why do you need to scare people, though? I mean, do you really just have that much spite for everyone?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm... No, that seems to be about it. Divaonar picks up the weird purple gem and noms the thing! Would be a waste of perfectly good eldritch power otherwise!

"Will you need help getting back to the surface Father?" the chimera inquires.

[Obsidian Forest]

The other unnamed chimera will lead the aliens and woman to a tree of absolutely absurd size. Thousands of feet tall, easily. Strange that one can't seem to see the tree until they get close...

A large archway in the trunk seems to house the entrance to the Ark. Or at least that's what the chimera is indicating.

And laying near the entrance?

Is Zee. She looks very asleep.

[Spooky Forest]

"...I don't think digging a hole in is the best course of action. Though I think I might be able to take another route," Amil replies as she screws her eyes shut and concentrates really hard!

One moment she looks normal.

The next she looks semi-transparent.

The next she looks like little more than an indistinct mist.

And then she's gone.

Poof!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spooky Forest

"Amil?"

Darst steps over to where she was.

"Give me a message as soon as you can."

He's not going to panic and break things.

Obsidian Forest

It appears to be a fine young woman.

And, as expected, the aliens are scanning and taking notes. How predictable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

[Obsidian Forest]

The other unnamed chimera will lead the aliens and woman to a tree of absolutely absurd size. Thousands of feet tall, easily. Strange that one can't seem to see the tree until they get close...

A large archway in the trunk seems to house the entrance to the Ark. Or at least that's what the chimera is indicating.

And laying near the entrance?

Is Zee. She looks very asleep.

[Spooky Forest]

"...I don't think digging a hole in is the best course of action. Though I think I might be able to take another route," Amil replies as she screws her eyes shut and concentrates really hard!

One moment she looks normal.

The next she looks semi-transparent.

The next she looks like little more than an indistinct mist.

And then she's gone.

Poof!
    A lot of forestry going on there.

[Obsidian Forest]

Cierra blinks. That was odd. She walks over to the apparently sleeping Zee. "She's just... right here? And you can't wake her up?" She lightly shakes the prostrate form on the ground with one hand.

___

[Spooky Forest]

If Amil can pass through solid matter with that ability, or slip through the tiniest of cracks, she'll be able to get into the cramped, stuffy, pitch black interior of the hut, where a woman swathed in white cloth like a leper sits.
    Last edited by Neon Knight; 2011-09-27 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

[Spooky Forest]

Amil just used Ethereal Jaunt! In doing so she slipped onto the ghostly ethereal plane and simply walked through the wall of the cabin. Once inside she'll peer around for a few moments to make sure she doesn't suddenly begin existing inside a table or something before dropping back into existence on the material plane!

Poof!

"Okay, I'm inside!" she calls out as soon as she has appeared. She'll then smile at the apparently horribly ill woman and offer the bottle to her! "Okay, here you go. And no moonlight, either."

"You aren't going to turn into a weremoose, are you?"

Had to ask.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

[Spooky Forest]

"Oh!" The woman is very surprised, but takes the herbs promptly and downs them. "Yes, I was, but no-... Wait. Hold on. Who gave you these?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spooky Forest

Nice trick.

"I hear you, Amil. I'll keep watch."

And so he will. The sun is going down, but that will only help him. Deep dwarves have better dark and low-light vision than mountain dwarves, and actually have some trouble in bright light. As the light level lowers, Darst's quality of vision can only increase.

15. - Top - End - #15

[Spooky Forest]

"Your brother?" Amil replies, sounding somewhat concerned. Hopefully they hadn't just loused things up... "I said your brother sent us when I was knocking on the door."

She gives a long sigh.

"And now you'll exclaim in horror that you don't have a brother while turning into a weremoose..."

Typical really.

Totally should have seen this coming. Waaay too easy.

"Could... umm... Would you mind proving me wrong? Because it would be great if you didn't turn into a large angry deer."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

[Spooky Forest]

"I'm afraid I can't, dear. I do have a brother though. It turns out he's a murdering, backstabbing prick, though. Probably wants my half of the inheritance." She also gives a long sigh. "This is moonflower. Infused with light from the moon. So... I give you about a minute before weremoose freakout. My apologies."

17. - Top - End - #17

[Spooky Forest]

"Right..."

And with that Amil will turn around and poof away again!

For the sake of brevity we'll say a good ten seconds or so pass before she pops back in outside the cabin.

"So it turns out her brother gave us some sort of flower filled with moonlight and now the girl inside is going to turn into a weremoose."

This is very silly!

Whilst explaining this Amil's gun-hand is being replaced by a rather odd looking weapon that looks rather akin to the back-end of a spider. Wonder what that thing is for?

"So our best bet is to try to restrain her. Or knock her out. Or something."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

[Libra's Meeting Point]

Harnel arrives here a short while after leaving the dragon's lair, carrying several of the items Libra asked for. he waits patiently for her to appear.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril looks up at the cliff above them. "I think I can get up there, but... stay close just in case, okay kiddo?" With that the Drow will levitate up to the edge of the cliff and try to scramble over the edge.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spooky Forest

"Bah. Is it a stupid mistake, or treachery? Is killing her an option?"

"Also, what's a weremoose?"

He turns around and faces the door. His pick is ready, and his helmet is lit.

Darst doesn't know about were things. You see, the moon has no meaning so far underground. Were things don't really go so far underground... most transformations are permanent, one-time things.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

[Spooky Forest]

They've got about 40 seconds. "You might want to try and get running. Weremoose are very irritable." The woman calls from the inside, sounding despondent.

22. - Top - End - #22

[Mysterious Room]

"Hey, now, don't be so down on yourself. I'm sure, with some practice, you could downright terrifying." The Knight looked at the radio ruefully. "Why do you need to scare people, though? I mean, do you really just have that much spite for everyone?"
    [Mysterious Room]

"Yes! Can't do much else against you, can't do much at all except to see you suffer. That's all I have." The being's speech is somewhat stilted, like it can't speak properly.
    "You make me exist so to speak. Existing is suffering. Now you know."

[Libra's Meeting Point]

Libra appears wearing a Harnel mask along with strap on Harnel claws, a tail and wings that all look disturbingly life-like.

"Oh, hi." She pauses. "I mean... Oh, hi." She takes off the mask. "So you got some of the stuff huh?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

[Libra's Meeting Point]

Harnel looks at the life-like costume pieces based on him with some apprehension. Why exactly was she dressed like this? This wasn't good. He ignores it for now though, "Yeah, the egg, the thing from Magmart, and Dipsnig's autograph."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

24. - Top - End - #24

[Obsidian Forest]

Shaking Zee does no good!

She remains completely comatose.

The alien's scanners will likely show that she's made of the same sort of stuff that the chimera (and all the trees) are made of. She just looks like a normal human.

She's also asleep.

Or...

Maybe in a coma.

Meanwhile!

Oddly enough when Raril climbs over the edge of the pit he finds himself not inside the Ark but instead at the base of the tree! Weird. He'll also find a pair of aliens, a woman trying to wake Zee up, and a parrot/lemur/python/jaguar chimera. He's very colorful!

[Spooky Woods]

"A were-animal is a person who turns into a half animal half human monster when the moon is full," Amil explains. "And it would be best if we don't kill her. She hasn't done anything wrong. This is a curse and a disease that afflicts otherwise normal people."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

[Obsidian Forest]

Shaking Zee does no good!

She remains completely comatose.

The alien's scanners will likely show that she's made of the same sort of stuff that the chimera (and all the trees) are made of. She just looks like a normal human.

She's also asleep.

Or...

Maybe in a coma.

Meanwhile!

Oddly enough when Raril climbs over the edge of the pit he finds himself not inside the Ark but instead at the base of the tree! Weird. He'll also find a pair of aliens, a woman trying to wake Zee up, and a parrot/lemur/python/jaguar chimera. He's very colorful!
    Cierra is bent over the unconscious Zee, and does not notice Raril when he appears. "It seems like she's in a coma or something. Maybe we should take her somewhere, maybe to GLoG, see if we can't get some medical help."

[Spooky Woods]

20 seconds left. "I appreciate you nobility, but you should really think of yourselves."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

[Obsidian Forest]

"It's no use." Raril says sadly, as he walks over.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

[Mysterious Room]

"Yes! Can't do much else against you, can't do much at all except to see you suffer. That's all I have." The being's speech is somewhat stilted, like it can't speak properly.
    "You make me exist so to speak. Existing is suffering. Now you know."
    "Well, aren't you cheery." Greg flicks the radio. "So, where am I? Purgatory? Hell? Ringo Starr's bad acid trip?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Obsidian Forest]

"It's no use." Raril says sadly, as he walks over.
    Cierra looks up. "Oh! Um, hi. I'm Cierra. I came to help, if I can. Why won't that work?"

29. - Top - End - #29

[Libra's Meeting Point]

"Great! Just place them... oh you already did, how helpful. You going to return any of this junk?" The oni asks with a raised eyebrow.

[Mysterious Room]

"More strange words! No, you are not in any of those... words. You are here, my realm. I'm eight." It's another of those pauses again. "Say, you know way to make body?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Obsidian Forest

Raril will find the female alien waving a scanner at him, and a male speaking to him in some crazy space language. The scanner should take a detailed reading of Raril's anatomy and physiology, down to the exact parameters of every ulcer.

Spooky Woods

"Dun worry, we'll just break your arms and legs and take you to a healer."

Darst intends to use nonlethal force, in that the pick itself should not cause death.