New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

He has just finished getting dressed when there is a polite knock on the door.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

"Enter!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Somehow, everything is scary now.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #183

The door opens before he had finished the word.

Your valet enters holding a packet of letters and a cup of steaming tea with spices.

He gives a warm smile as he offers you the cup.

"Good morning sire, I regret to say the letter from her Ladyship did not come today either, still you have your usual mail and strangely an invitation from Mister Mraz..."

Spoiler
    Show

Hehe, dont start jumping at corners just yet :D

Also do you like the storyline/pace/DM style so far? I am asking cause if things are move too slow or you dont find something interesting we can change things up... it is a 1 on 1 DMing after all which gives that possibility :D

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-12-09 at 12:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly accepts the mail and tea.

"Mister Mraz you say, that is strange indeed. Better find out what he's up to. Any rumors on him?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Loving it so far. My posting is a bit erratic, but it's working out good so far!
    Last edited by Moranica; 2011-12-09 at 01:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

"I dont presume to ask around about my betters sire. Unless if you would like me to actually look into sire..." replies the valet.

"Ah and sire, you may be interested in learning that Jared came in at dawn. I am unsure if he was out whoring or something illicit but I thought you should know..."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

"That won't be necessary. Send jared up. Good of you to tell me."

7. - Top - End - #187

The man inclines his head and leaves your room.

You feel confident that at least the first impression you gave to your valet was passable and he didnt seem to realise something is amiss.

A little while later there is another knock on your door.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly accepts the mail and tea.

This is nice, I could get used to this actually.

Scribly drinks the tea and noses through the mail, looking for anything of interest or something that requires action from him. ... Until the knock on the door.

Now, let's see about Jared, this is a good test. If he doesn't recognise me, I know my disguise is good.

"Enter!"

9. - Top - End - #189

Seven out of nine letters are thank you notes from "your" guests. The remaining two are a letter from Mr Mraz and the last is an invitation to the elections.

The person you met a few days ago and were up until yesterday enters the room and inclines his head.

"Good morning sir. You asked for me?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, come in Jared. Have a seat. I heard you were out all night and was hoping you picked up some interesting rumors about the upcoming elections."

11. - Top - End - #191

He looks at you uncertainly at first not knowing what to say.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll a bluff check for your performance

"Er no sir, not really. My... my mother was ill and I had to be by her bedside all night..."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, sorry to hear that. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+10)[30] , mythweavers is down, but I think it was a +10.

13. - Top - End - #193

Spoiler
    Show

Even if the 10 is a bit lower is still pretty good :D Actually your bluff is so good that you manage to bluff a stray 50xp note into jumping into your pocket!

"No need to worry sir. I made sure I bought some decent cures from the Apothecary on Scale Street and she should be getting better. Is there anything I could help you with?" he asks.

You feel that the part of his story is not true but whether its the grandma, the getting better or the purchase of cures is unclear.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed,

"Yes, strangely enough, I received an invitation from mr Mraz. I was hoping you might know some interesting things about him."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mythweavers is back online! Should have been a +12

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler
    Show

Ok... make it 51xp note then :D

He bites his lips for a moment but otherwise does show any obvious signs that he knows him. It is your previous knowledge that helps you see the signs showing that he is lieing rather than his lack of skill at this.

"Not alot sir... I have heard he is a business man... some say that he is ruthless and with a very flawed work ethic. Personally from what little I know he is like any other merchant, pardon me for saying, out to make a profit..."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Woohoo!!

Scribly ignores the mans obvious lying.

"Well, that is part of being a merchant indeed. There are no excuses for poor ethics however. I will meet him as proposed and see what he is up to. Can you ask them to bring me some more tea and today's schedule? Thank you, and keep me posted on your mothers."

18. - Top - End - #198

He inclines his head and retires without commenting that he only has one mother.

A while later your valet returns with the housekeeper and a pot of tea and a plate with food to break your fast. He lets her speak first and she informs you that she will need 20 to 30 gold coins to restock the pantry and winecellar and to have the tableclothes and clothes scrubbed and cleaned properly. Indeed you recall quite a few wine stains during the festivity.

She then departs and you are left with the valet who opens a small notebook and starts telling you what you have planned.

At 10:30 you are to take a stroll through the market accompanied by one of the small time local merchants.

At 12:00 you are meeting Johan Mardher for lunch

You then have a break until early evening where you are to meet with the comittee and inform them of your candidacy.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, I would also like you to setup a private meeting with Lady Regira as soon as possible. I have urgent matters to discuss with her."

Scribly then gets on with the day.

20. - Top - End - #200

"Do you plan to meet with Mr Mraz after all sir? And what time should I set up each of these meetings?" he asks before leaving.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, I think that would be wise. Put Mr Mraz first, and the lady tomorrow."

Spoiler
    Show
    This evening is not yet the moment where he has to withdraw right?

22. - Top - End - #202

Spoiler
    Show

No the idea is that today as normal he will say he will run. Then tomorrow during the actual thing (which will take place at 5 in the afternoon) he "should" announce that he wont be running after all.

Also Mraz had suggested you meet him so your day doesnt end up having many meetings etc thus reducing the risk of you exposing yourself.

Your man retires and a while later informs you that the runner he sent to Mr Mraz has accepted to meet you at 14:00 at his residence. Your valet suggests that you take your usual bodyguard to attend you in all meetings and will arrange so should you require it.

He then prepares a set of clothing for you to wear to your first meeting.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent, I've also come up with a plan, albeit a horrible one. Hope you like drama.

Scribly agrees to the bodyguard and gets dressed.

First meeting, here I come!

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the dress include some kind of weapon?
    Last edited by Moranica; 2011-12-14 at 04:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Spoiler
    Show

Drama can be interesting :D

Your clothing includes a very fine mithril short sword. You recall being told he practiced fencing though he was by no means a warrior.

Your bodyguard, who joins you as you exit your house, is a middle aged man dressed in sensible and simple clothing. He has a dagger strapped on his belt but nothing additional. You can see though that he is muscled yet agile.

The first meeting is with David Egelson, one of the smaller suppliers of oil for the city's oil lamps and for other needs. His problem is that bigger groups, including foreigners, are present more and more in the market driving his price down. He makes mention of a huge purchase recently and explains that almost every single merchant in the city was selling at a good profitable price until a couple of barges came in the port with oil and due to the increased supply with no price regulation the price almost reached unprofitable levels.

As you walk past the various stalls of the market he asks what solution you can provide for his plight and for the plight of his colleagues.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

"I understand your plight, dear man, and I am convinced that it is not just you who faces these problems. To stimulate fair competition we will institute/raise import taxes. This will raise their cost, and most likely prices, to be on par with your own. What would you think of this?"

26. - Top - End - #206

"It makes a lot of sense sire but we poor honest merchants hear that the Archduke plans to strengthen the alliances with the Empire of Seven Dragons and with Brunsgrove... can you give us any assurances that he wont go ahead and make it even easier for those bastards to swamp our markets?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

"On the one hand, his main responsibility and interest lies with his own people, so that should give him reason to uphold your rights. On the other hand, import tax could generate a substantial amount of money which he would be foolish to ignore. On both accounts, I'm sure I can convince him of the importance of fair trade, be it national or international."

28. - Top - End - #208

The man is following you logic until you reach your last point. You see that his eyes widden and he is looking at you with a mixture of awe, wonderment and fear.

"Eh... er... well... master Erek, I would... er.. pardon me saying so but please do not mention to the Archduke I was doub... or rather even inquirring about his... his... affairs. I mean to say I did not realise you had... you had his ear sir..." he generally seems much more guarded towards you and your bodyguard and looks over his shoulders after this.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Lol, the sweet fruits of unfamiliarity with local political sensitivies serves Scribly again.

Scribly remains calm and slightly reserved during the rest of the conversation.

30. - Top - End - #210

Your conversation partner may be a good oil salesman but he isnt the best conversationalist and given your lack of knowledge of the local market your reservation serves you best.

Spoiler
    Show

Give me a diplomacy.

You finish your meeting outside the Senile Elf tavern where your meeting with Johan Mardher is to take place... whoever he may be.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge local if you want to try and get even a basic thing about Johan. I would have given you a gather info if you had actually done a bit of snooping/asking.