New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

The day goes by slowly with long boring periods stopped by some small excitement on the street including a pick pocket being caught, a cart being overturned by a horseman and even two guardsmen stopping to search a beggar who then fled down the street.

You do not manage to find a good hiding spot in the near area with good visibility and without drawing attention but your skill is such that you manage to not draw attention on yourself and so also with minor changes in your appearance you pass time and time again from the various stalls and stores as if you had not been there before.

This gives you the advantage of tracking who else is present and trying to hide himself and indeed you notice that throughout the day 2 particular figures 'patrol' the area by doing slow methodical shopping for quite a few times. Their clothes change but their appearance doesnt and so you are able to notice them. Given the time you spend you notice that both are armed but with a very particular, easy to conceal thin blade and also very fine armor that makes little sound. Though they act very naturally you can tell they are on the prowl like guardsmen would be, pretending to be part of the crowd and yet their 'predatory look' obvious to your sharp eyes.

Apart from those two you notice that a pair of guardsmen that make their rounds seem to very often pass from this spot in particular and linger longer than they should.

Lastly on the stall closer to the tower the young man who sells his wares seems to look sharply at every passer by approaching the door of the tower and from time to time exchanges glances and nods with the afformentioned lot.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry it takes so long, just trying to come up with a GOOD plan. So far, all failed to meet the good part.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #1233

Spoiler
    Show

No worries!

Should you need some additional information about whats going on around you let me know.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly heads for a local bar to think on the matter a bit.

The location seems heavily guarded, so I must be close. Now, how to enter the premises. I could take out the guards, replace one of them or have them kill eachother. But all those would alert them to someone tracking them down.

Another option would be to implant them all with orders to kill their boss. But to use the right triggers, requires me to learn a lot more on them. I guess more information never hurts though. And if I'm lucky, I can use THAT plan. While really trick, it would lot's of fun as well.

After finishing his drink, Scribly heads home, carefully avoiding attention.

There seem to be a lot of newcomers lately. Perhaps some juicy gnomes for the kobolds?

Back home he spends the rest of the day, scrying on the five guards, making sure to follow each of the three types when evening comes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basicly, he wants to see who pays them, where they live and what general locations they visit. He'll spend up to a week doing that if need be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, would it be cruel to hire one of the new gnomes to mob up the kobolds in the sewers..... ?

5. - Top - End - #1235

Spoiler
    Show

Well, we have not yet gone into full intergration with Rizban on how to match the games that kept running with the new ones... plus at least in my case Rizban didnt really even contact me about restarting so we need to work on it...

In the future though that sounds like a nasty but fun thing to do :D

The week goes by and you have observed much.

The two guards that seem to be actual guards are part of the Old Town guard station. They get paid by their Sergeant and generally spend their nights at the station barracks. You do learn though from your scrying that these 2 have 2 counterparts that usually have alternating shifts. Overall it seems that not just 2 but 4 actual guardsmen are in on it and they ensure that always at least two of them will be on patrol in that area.

Other than that their routine is that of a normal person, albeit without families, they do their patrols, though now that you are scrying you can see that they even neglect their other areas and focus too much of their time in this part, they eat and also spend time at a local tavern from time to time and they also harass a couple of prostitutes and abuse them or... well... use them.

The young merchant that also seemed part of the 'guards' seems to you to be more of an informant rather than in the 'payroll'. He doesnt always do this but he sells his wares elsewhere as well. When in that area though he obviously collaborates, more as an additional pair of eyes with some streetwise behind them rather than an actual guard. He actually has a girl that he sees every other night but other than that his movements are regular.

The remaining duo is the one from whom you learn the most and also they are obviously not just regular hired thugs. Unlike the rest they do not let routine make their movements easy to track. They change their route, they change their clothes and also change the frequency of their rounds and generally seem more comfortable doing such a 'boring' job than the other 3.

They always operate as a pair, and once more there are two more that take other shifts when they are resting, and always are armed. One of them seems to also possess some rudimentary magic that he can channel though his blade. You learn this when you witness them cornering a merchant at night in the Mages Quarter and slaughtering him. They then place him inside a carriage with no markings that departs quickly. You have enough visibility to be able to find the mans store, a store for expensive jewelery and such items.

Unlike the other guards, they seem to have no need for food or drink and even sleep a handful of hours a day and spend a significant amount of their days training. You actually even see them entering the tower once during this week where they give a report of all the weeks occurences to the man you had seen overlooking the window some days ago. This time though the room is empty other than the 'taskmaster' and his two men. The discussion revolves around shipments, progress report and the merchant that they killed. The visit is cut short by the appearance of none other than the man with the dagges that has twice so far tried to kill you. He reports that he has lost track of you despite his best efforts and mentions that perhaps they should alert Malakai to the fact. The taskmaster refuses and dismisses all of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I tried to give some pertinent info but if you need something very particular let me know. You can consider that you know where all 5 of them live and the house layout. (the ones with the thin blades all rent a small two story flat in Old Town and generally they are either working or spending their time there... usually 1 is sleeping, 1 is guarding and 2 are out working...).

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Malakai rings a bell, I'll have to scan the thread again.

day, the two

7. - Top - End - #1237

Spoiler
    Show

Er not sure if you wanted to post something additional and it got cut...

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly is overjoyed to hear, they lost his whereabouts, and quickly realises that he'd rather have it stay that way.

Who is this Malakai? Is he someone powerfull? Is this all politics again? I need more info, but at least I've got a name.

I could try and take out the in between and set the "guards" on this Malakai fellow. It's risky though. The time isn't right yet.

He arranges a meeting with an old employer and one of the first to encounter these green blooded fiends as well. Mr. Mraz.

9. - Top - End - #1239

((I will assume you sent a message or something like that and gave an easy to find response address, like waited for response in a tavern or something))

The response comes quite quickly and the letter given to you has a glowering angry tone obvious by the unsteady writting and punctuation.

'I already asked to see you almost two weeks ago and you have ignored my summons!!! Yes, come at once for the situation is beyond control!!!'

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh crap, I forgot all about the Flint....

Scribly heads out right away, double checking to make sure he isn't followed, before heading over to Mr. Mraz.

11. - Top - End - #1241

You arrive at the manor like last time and are stopped at the back entrance. This time its not just the kitchen maid and the butler there but also two guardsmen.

"Whats your business here?" the first one asks you.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm here to see Mr. Mraz. If you would be so kind to tell him Scribly is here. That would be very nice."

13. - Top - End - #1243

The guardsman motions to the butler to do so and he returns bearing approval from his master.

The two guardsmen part to let you in and you are shown to Mraz's study. He is not there yet and you have time to notice the dirty glasses and emptied bottles of wine and brandy that litter the place despite the butlers attempt to clean up.

Five minutes later a disheveled yet still authoritative looking Mraz enters the room. He looks at you hazily and frowns.

"Oh finally! Someone has decided to grace us with his presence! So tell me Mr Scribly! Why did you ignore me for so long?"

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly looks a the man, showing no emotion in his weighing stare.

"It seems, Mr. Mraz, that you know, why I haven't shown myself."

"The green bloods are restless, and I could not continue my search for their source, without dropping out of scrying globe. Now what have you done, to solve our problem?"

15. - Top - End - #1245

The man seems confused at what you say.

"What? What Green Bloods are you talking about?" he says his voice becoming louder.

"I am talking about the man you told you killed suddenly reappearing a few days after the election and starting to spread rumors about me! I am talking about the people I have seen following me in the street! I had to petition the Guard for protection since you FAILED TO come to me when asked!" he yells.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly nods in agreement.

"Yes, this all makes sense. I'll explain it to you."

"Remember that the man I replaced had green blood when I killed him? It turns out, he was already a clone replacement. Ever since that day, I have been plagued by attacks from green blooded people. Even several copies of the same man!!"

"That's why I had to hide and spy from the shadows. But I have a name now. Possibly the name of the man who is behind all this. I came here, hoping you might know more of him. His name is .... Malakai."

Spoiler
    Show
    Btw, are the green bloods from the cult in Old town? I'll try and get the reward for that!

17. - Top - End - #1247

Spoiler
    Show

Er no... if you mean the abducting cult at least... as you might have noticed the guys you are facing now do not leave people abducted... they abduct them and replace them :D

Mraz stays there looking at you with a wide open mouth. He blinks twice and reaches out for the bottle that is unfortunately empty.

This prompts him to head towards his study desk, unlock the third drawer and get another large bottle of brandy which he uncorks. He then proceeds to drink from the bottle in long slow swigs.

Only then, with eyes somewhat glazes from the drink but his nerves settled does he respond.

"No, I know noone named Malakai! But perhaps I can ask my friends at the guard if that person is known to them! In any case are you sure of all this? All I wanted was this position! What do I have to do with all these clones and power plays and assassins!" he cries out as he slumps on his armchair.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly grins as a vision of his own emotional performance at the council flashes before his eyes. He quickly regains himself though.

"You do that, when can you have a response?"

"Meanwhile, I will go looking for more answers."

19. - Top - End - #1249

"Come by tomorrow same time and I will have asked my contacts!" he tells you regaining part of his composure.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

"Alright, I'll see you then."

Scribly leaves and realises he will need to act tonight.

It is just past midnight as he heads to the tower, trying to attract as little attention as possible.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-11-02 at 11:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Spoiler
    Show

Give me a move silently/hide

You make your way to the area and start approaching until you realise you will need to be careful to get closer.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly makes sure to use his chameleon power before venturing closer

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+10)[24]

23. - Top - End - #1253

Noone notices you as you become one with the shadows and the patterns on the wall. There is noone guarding the door and given the time the street vendors are not there.

There is very limited movement on the streets, sporadic passerbys returning home or the occasional guardsman. The two guardsmen usually patrolling this area are nowhere to be seen but you can imagine they are making their rounds so sooner or later they will pass from here.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-11-03 at 01:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

I guess this is it. Time to take a gamble.

Scribly uses vigor and inertial armor, before using ectoplasmatic form to move under the door.

25. - Top - End - #1255

As it is written, so it is done.

You prepare yourself and slide under the door. Your scrying has allowed you to know the layout of the rooms beyond and you confirm it is accurate as you see the stone staircase leading up and the small corridor leading to a closed door. Behind the door you have not had the chance to see given that none of those you were scrying have been there.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly stays in his current form, slowly making his way to the "office", where the employer and rogue's met.

27. - Top - End - #1257

You climb the stairs slowly and carefully and are met with the door at the top. This one is metal with reinforced bars and you know full well how its kept barred from the inside.

This proves no hidrance for you though. Sliding under the door you enter the room. A lantern and two candles are illuminating the room beyond. Sitting at his desk and writting is the task master of the small group. He occasionally glances out of the window overlooking the street below.

Sitting patiently on the bed and without any movement is a man in his early 30s is a young man with loose fitting robes. You also notice a holy symbol of Pelor hanging from his neck.

Next to the man in the priestly attire is the merchant you saw the two men with the thin blades kill. He is also motionless and staring ahead but is obviously not dead.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How large is the room?

Would it be possible to reform somewhere in the room and still be able to hide?

Scary again!!
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-11-06 at 05:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1259

The room is quite big given that it would be the room that held troops in case of an attack.

Its around 35 feet by 20 feet in size but most of it is empty. There are the 2 beds, a closet and a wardrobe and the table which was probably used for the garrison of 6 to 8 eating.

There is also a fireplace that is currently not lit.

You can try reshaping in a corner of the room but whether or not you will be seen is another matter entirely...

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-11-06 at 07:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, seems clear enough. Guess I'll go for the suprise effect.

Also to keep track.
    Powerpoints (52/78)
    Chameleon 1
    Vigor 7 (for 40 hp)
    Inertial armor 8 (for +8 AC)
    Ectoplasmic form 5
    Metamorphic transfer

Scribly release his ectoplasmic form and uses his Metamorphosis ability. Quickly his body changes. Large flaps of skin grow under his arms and suddenly a cloacker stands in the room. It's sharp eyes looking at the man behind the desk.

Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt hiding (even with the +18 I got now) would work on a large abberation... Also, I assume the change uses his suprise round?