New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

Spoiler
    Show

Oh and I thought you would stick around and pretend you are him and using most of the encounter to back up your lie :D

You transport yourself quickly enough so that you are not even seen when whoever it is comes to the top. You meld with the shadows of the roof top and evade detection.

If you indeed go back to your lair, on your way there... noone stops you.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, that was the plan. But then I realised I already had my goal. Namely capture this guy for info.

Also, exploding doors are scary. If it had been just guards knocking, I might have tried. 13 hp and 1 dimension door is not a good time to rely on bluff.

Scribly locks the door and releases the man from the bag. Having done that, he sits down for a moment, to think.

I'm alive, amazingly, I'm alive and I've got him!. ....

If only I had some power in me left. They could be scrying for him right now and I wouldn't even know it. It's unlikely they recognise this place though. Should I make it dark in here as well?

Now first things first. He will be "waking up" soon and I need some sleep. I could knock him silly...., but I should really save that for the interrogation. He doesn't have his gear though. I need to prevent him from casting as well, but I'm not sure if gagging and tying him up will be enough. I should really get some good chains or handcuffs .... and maybe that anti magic thing the kobolds used on me. Now THAT would be helpful. But I can't go see them like this. No, some rest first. Some rest will do me good.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does he heal ability damage if I put him in my large chest? Or otherwise prevent him from sleeping? Basicly, I'm thinking of a way to get 8 hours rest, without him getting back up during that time.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #1293

Spoiler
    Show

You heal ability damage at the rate of 1 a day so 8 hours wont do it... gagging him and tieing his hands and feet might also go a long away ensuring he cant use vocal and somatic.

Taking his holy symbol (knowledge religion to know the deity) would also help for any such abilities he might have.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, that makes me a lot less nervous.

Confident the man will just stand there drooling, Scribly goes to sleep.

5. - Top - End - #1295

You wake up rested though your wounds still ache. Nothing has changed in the room and your prisoner is still in a near vegetable state.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Troll in the Playground

As Scribly wakes up, he feels the chaotic powers refreshed and ready in his mind. He focusses for a moment, before releasing some of that energy into his body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body adjustment (3d12)[21]
    Chaotic surgee! (1d4)[1]
    PP (71/78)
    HP (21 + ba /50)

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

It is obvious that he hasn't fully recovered as the healing doesn't quite work as good as he was hoping for.

You know, it is silly to use my own powers to heal me in a perfectly safe environment. I need a stash of healing potions here. They might come in handy for mister carrot over there as well.

He changes back to one of his other human looks.

Scribly casts detect remote viewing, and uses his gloves of object reading on the mans belongings. After which he heads out with all the mans belongings. Leaving the man in his well locked house.

8. - Top - End - #1298

For almost all of his equipment you get the below reading:

Current Owner: Human, Male, 30 years old, Lawful Evil bought the item
    Previous Owner: Human, Male, 42 yeard old, Lawful Neutral crafted the item

For the heavy flail you get:

Current Owner: Human, Male, 30 years old, Lawful Evil, claimed the item from the previous owner
    Previous Owner: Human Female, 27 years old, Lawful Evil, was granted the item
    Previous Owner: Human Male, 49 years old, Lawful Evil, crafted the item

For the ring you get the following:

Current Owner: Human, Male, 30 years old, Lawful Evil, given as a gift
    Previous Owner: Human, Female, 30 years old, Neutral Evil, purchased
    Previous Owner: Elf, Female, 198 years old, Neutral, crafted.

You depart from your house.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

He goes to one of the magic shops to get everything identified. Especially the ring, he wants that checked for divinations.

How does one go about interogating someone with no personality?

10. - Top - End - #1300

Spoiler
    Show

By using a lesser restoration on him or waiting for a couple of days so he has some charisma back :D

Also I forgot that he had some cash with him, you found a pouch with 25 platinum and 50 gold on him (a total of 300 gold)... had you searched the place you would have also found the payroll...

The old magician identifies the items for 100 gold per item for a total of 600 gold.

They are:

+1 Called Full Plate
    +1 Acidic, Called, Heavy Flail with crystal of Return (MIC)
    +2 Necklase of Wisdom (MIC)
    Dimension Stride Boots (MIC)
    Gem on forehead = Third Eye Clarity (MIC)
    Ring of Communication (MIC)

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, I figured there would be shinies, as well as some clues / documents. I would have loved to search it. But it would have been unneccassary risks.

Btw, indeed this plot feels thick and not at all linear. It's awesome and very scary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would a skin of ectoplasmic armor work with changing into large humanoids?

Scribly happily thanks the man and puts on the boots right away as well as the crystal.

"Say, you remember that other ring of communication I sold you? Do you still have it? And if you do, could you check whether it's a match?"

I see, they probably continually scry on their green bloods and order them around with these rings. Clever really. I wonder if I could use it to gain access to their other rings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two more questions:
    Would becoming a troll heal me? Regeneration is an ex. ability after all.
    And can I use the eye again my own dazing from enervation?
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-11-12 at 01:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You know I don't just jump in on threads, but I've been reading along and feel I should answer this one, because I feel like it's a fairly important ruling...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    If you have an ability that lets you gain a benefit at the cost of taking damage/ability damage/drain, or some other penalty, you must take the damage to gain the effect.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice to see your reading along!

Yup, I figured it would be that. Now, if you (as the magic salesman) would design me an item that removes the status at the BEGINNING of my turn. Then it would work right? Since I actually become dazed in between?

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OMG OMG OMG..... I couldn't think of a good way to interrogate him, when I realised I have SUGGESTION on my powerlist... [facepalm] Also made me wonder if plant like people are open to suggestion (without the power).

Also, the ring is most likely from Malakai. Would suggestion work to the ring?

15. - Top - End - #1305

Spoiler
    Show

I believe what Rizban means is that you HAVE to suffer the penalties to get the benefits... so using a workaround not to suffer the penalties wont give you the benefits either but given that magic items can bypass such conditions its best if he gives the ruling.

If your 'plant' people are affected by mind affecting abilities is something you can investigate... all you need to do is catch one of them :D

And no suggestion wont work through a ring.

As for the question on ectoplasmic skin... I think that as you change it wont work... BUT you can always buy that item from MIC (cant recall exact name) that is amazing for druids in that it allows items to work when wildshaping... I guess there can be an equivalent for polymorphing/transforming etc...

The old magician checks the ring and looks to you.

"You are in luck! Someone came here to buy the other ring yesterday but he didnt have the cash with him. He said he would return today but he has yet to make an appearance..." he responds.

"In any case, yes these two rings are linked. I can tell you if there are any more in the 'loop' for an extra 150gold if you are interested..."

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thought so.

Yes, I have something with a wilding clasp already. .... just realised it doesn't stack with inertial armor.....

"That information would interest me very much indeed. I'll give you 50 gp extra if you kept my coming here just to yourself."

17. - Top - End - #1307

Spoiler
    Show

Imagine if there WERENT any... he would have swindled you good and proper :D

The man nods eagerly and pockets the money.

He spends some time analysing the ring you brought in and the other ring he has and then he nods.

"There are 3 more rings for a total set of 5. There is a 6th ring but its somehow different... the magic of the link feels different in any case. Not sure how or why or what it means..."

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Troll in the Playground

"I see, that sounds interesting. Would it be possible to locate the other counterparts using these?"

"What if I were to buy the other ring, would that be possible? You know, the one I sold you earlier."

"And could these rings be used for anything other than simple communication?"

Scribly now seems really interested. It seems the picture is becoming clearer and clearer.

19. - Top - End - #1309

"Not inherently. I mean, they dont give a tracking function if thats what you are asking. But given the rings are linked a powerful enough diviner could use one to find the others." he explains answering your first question.

"Yes, buying the ring is possible off course... and as you were the seller I will give you 15% discount instead of going full market price!" he says with a smile.

"As far as I can see from these 2 no. They are standard rings of communication meaning the wearer can activate them and speak his message... then all other attuned rings within a 1.5 mile radius pick up the message. If the remaining rings of the set or the master ring have other abilities I cannot know it..."

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, I thought it might be something like that. I will find someone to get the job done then."

"How very .... generous of you. I'll consider it.", Scribly says with his worst smile ever.

"Yes, particularly this master ring. You said something was different about it. Could it perhaps be the one to rule them all?"

Surprised by what he just said, Scribly looks around him, wondering wether that was actually him talking or that perhaps some divine power was playing jokes on him. Jokes he knew all to well from his past.

"Alright, thank you for your help. I'd like to sell the necklace right away, and would also like to buy some healing potions. About 20 of them.... Unless you have some cheaper method of healing?"

21. - Top - End - #1311

The man shrugs.

"Perhaps somehow the wearer of the master ring can influence the others but I dont know... I havent heard of anything like it at least but I guess it could be possible."

He buys the necklase for usual half-market price meaning you get 2000 for it. Should you wish to buy the com. ring you had sold him he will sell it for 1650 gold.

"Well if you are looking for the simple ones, they will cost you 50 gold a pop. For a purchase of 20 I can give you a discount of 4 gold per potion... so 46 each for a total of 920 gold. Alternatively I can suggest a wand of cure light wounds with 50 charges that will set you back 750 gold... need to be a magician to use one though!" he explains.

"There is another option off course... I have this healing belt someone else sold me recently... it costs 750 gold and has a set amount of charges a day that you can use in different ways..." (MIC page 110)

He considers it for a moment.

"But if you want dirt cheap healing... your best bet is to go to a temple in the Temple District and tell them you follow their God and give a small donation... assuming they dont realise you are lying... or you arent lying it should be okay..."
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-11-13 at 04:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Troll in the Playground

"Aaah, yes, the healing belt. I have heard of that. And also that a new one is indeed 750 gp. This one is second hand though. Sounds cheaper to me? Anyway, if I can just keep it at home and use it for healing when I come home, that might serve as well."

"Usually, I can do without the questions, so I guess the temple is out."

"I'll think about the ring for a bit."

"And on second hand, how much would you give for the armor and flail?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Would a belt of battle be to cheesy?
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-11-13 at 04:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1313

He laughs at this.

"Dont presume to bargain with me young man. I am giving you fair prices and good deals because your business is good... but its one thing for me to resell you the things you bought or give you a discount on potions and another entirely that you ask for a discount because 'its used'. Magic doesnt go... bad with time. So sure, you want a better price for that belt? Ok it will be 749 gold and 9 silver. How is that? Or I could consider giving it for free if you will run an errand for me..." he tells you.

"For the armor I can give you 2760 gold and for the flail 8000 gold. Dont have that much coin here off course so I would write you a check and you can cash it in or transfer it to your own bank..."

Spoiler
    Show

You indeed know that banks is an everyday thing in Aldhaven, in case you are not sure a check is legit.

And no battle belt is not cheesy... its just an item... there are no cheesy items :D

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

"....... an errand you say? If this is something that would take no more then a couple of hours I might be game."

"No worries about the gold, I might want to spend some of it right now, so it could become a simple trade."

"Do you perhaps have any items that are particularly usefull to psions?"

25. - Top - End - #1315

"A few hours... well... it depends on your competency. I want you to basically intercept a shipment that is intended for one of my competitors... he plays dirty while I have been nice so far. Its time he learned a lesson..."

"As for psionic items... well my friend I always think the best offense is defense so I always first plan my escape and protection and then delve into offense... I cant really suggest something for you but whatever you may ask for I can either have it in stock or have it crafted by my colleagues in a few hours..."

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

"how would you like it if the shipment was delivered at your door by his man? I could make them some suggestions."

27. - Top - End - #1317

"It could work but its not so much his shipment that I care about... plus if its delievered here then it could be tracked here. My main interest is my competitor losing his order and hence disappointing his clientele that might come to me... getting his order would be an added benefit but only if the whole thing cant be traced to me..."

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

"So the order could also be extra payment for me? That sounds like a plan. You know what, I'll go and have a look."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want:
    - The order go missing/destroyed
    - No traces to you

"And I have thought on what I want to buy. I've decided on a ring of spellbattle. To handle those pesty casters....."

29. - Top - End - #1319

"Precisely. Keep the shipment if you need it I dont care but it must not be traced back to me... so dont come selling me items that might be part of it if you dont need them!"

"And you are in luck! I have one of those rings in stock... fresh from the Guild and available for 12k gold!" he says with a smile.

Spoiler
    Show

Its a nice item but I dont know... 1 dispel a day? Could be very life saving off course given its an immediate action dispel or redirect!

Also, silly question but what level are you currently? Estimating the XP you get for the fights...

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-11-14 at 06:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, basicly I feel like falling short in a couple of areas. I don't have enough action and not enough powerpoints. And am vulnerable to some spells. It was either these choices.

- Torc of power preservation 4k, gives 5 bonus pp
    - Belt of battle 12k; transforming and charging in one round. I already got hustle though .....
    - Ring of spell battle. 1 time save vs scary stuff and quite funny if redirecting.
    - Finishing those traps at my door

Here's my sheet. It's up to date, except for the gold part. I'm lvl 8 btw.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=323063

Thinking of getting someone to psychic reform me to get rid of my psicrystal, since I tend to forget about it and don't use it.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the gold part.
    12760 for selling the necklace, flail and armor. So I can afford it right? Apart from the gold in my pocket and at home

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to keep track, thing to do.
    - Interrogate
    - Scry on other rings
    - Talk to kobolds to learn more of them and slowly ally with them OR start working with the watch on the greenblood problem.....

"Excellent, if you could give me the directions, I'll get it done. I'll probably give those items to charity, if it isn't to valuable. Any idea what's in there?"
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-11-14 at 06:31 AM.