New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

Spoiler
    Show
    Scribly is beyond feeling in control right now, so he'll probably just go with it.

Diplomacy (1d20+1)[13]
    Local (1d20+4)[15] (no ranks though)
    Last edited by Moranica; 2011-12-15 at 03:45 PM.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

You are unsure if by the end of your discussion you have convinced the merchant that you are indeed going to fulfill your promises but overall he seems satisfied and happy to have had your talk.

Spoiler
    Show

Yea so basically it counts as a 10. Cant go more than that with an untrained skill.

The name does ring a bell. Perhaps someone mentioned it while you were in the vicinity or you had heard someone talk about him. All you got though is that Mardher is some kind of leader of a farmer union that provides Aldhaven with food.

((I assume you go in?))

The Senile Elf is a very nice and colorful tavern.

An elderly gnome seems to be playing a relaxed, calm tune with a harp in one corner while the heat from a large fireplace also helps the atmosphere.

A dozen or so tables are spread around giving privacy to the patrons. Currently all but four are empty but despite that the smell of warm well cooked food in large quantities comes from a side door to the left leading probably to the kitchen.

Sitting on a table made from barrels you see what seems to be the owner, going by the clothes he wears, a very old half-elf with a long white beard and grey hair.

In one of the tables you see two men, a young broad shouldered man wearing farmers clothes and a slightly older, well armed and armored one that seems to be keeping an eye around the tavern.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly pretends to not have seen the men and proceeds to the bar to have some small talk with the barman.

Spoiler
    Show
    If needed:
    Bluff (1d20+12)[14]
    Diplomacy (1d20+1)[18]

4. - Top - End - #214

The farmer like gentleman looks at you suprised and then suprise turns to annoyance as you dont just order a drink but rather start talking to the half-elf.

The half-elf seems pleased to see you and smiles.

"Good day mr Erek! How may I help you?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

"Good day to you as well, sir. Me and mr. Mardher would like to have lunch today. Got anything special today?"

6. - Top - End - #216

The half-elf smiles and nods.

"As a matter of fact I do sir. My cousin brought me three geese and a gander yesterday evening. I had not gotten around to cooking them yet but I guess who best to try them but you!" he says with enthusiasm.

"I have a special elven recipe for them!" he continues "it is a bit on the pricy side sir but I am sure you wont regret it!".

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

"Sounds tasty. Go ahead and blow us away with your cooking."

Scribly says with a smile. He then looks around and feigns surprise as he notices the farmer. He walks over.

"Why hello there, it's good to see you."

8. - Top - End - #218

Both men get up as you approach and you notice how quickly the one that looks like a farmer composes himself.

He gives an inclination of his head while his comrade brings his hand to his chest in a warrior'rs greeting.

"Its good to see you as well Master Erek. Allow me to introduce you to Erik Virek who is by good friend but also supports the union by leading the side business." he says calmly.

"Good day Master Erek" says the older man with a heavy voice that betrays an accent that is definetly not from these parts.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

"Nice to meet you, Master Virek. Let's sit down and talk. I ordered lunch already."

10. - Top - End - #220

"Very kind of you" replies Johan as he sits back down and his companion also sits a moment later.

"Before we begin let me say that I have always liked you style and efficiency..." the farmer starts saying "... but keep in mind you are not the only potential candidate I am out to see these days. My interests and the interests of both my organisations are important enough that I need to keep my options open regardless of personal feelings..."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you for pointing that out. Now let's talk."

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Scribly has some ideas on his style, from the big celebration diner earlier?

12. - Top - End - #222

Spoiler
    Show

What do you mean by style?

How he talks/reacts?

If yes then he is generally a low tone individual, jovial and open with friends but open even with associates. He makes the occasional joke but he is by no means a clown or entertainer. He likes to talk facts and numbers and he doesnt add too much "sauce" on things nor does he gloat.

"Well I was actually interested in hearing your... pitch so to say. Our members can be a valuable backup for someone wishing to secure the position. We are open to giving our 'endorsment' so to speak to someone that can present us, or rather me, with a concrete plan that somehow includes both the farmer that generate the food for Aldhaven but also my mercenary ties."

He looks at you expectantly.

13. - Top - End - #223

Spoiler
    Show

Bump cause I couldnt see my post!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I do have several plans that would involve the farmers and/or mercenaries. If you tell me of your current troubles, I know which plan might be of most interest to you."

15. - Top - End - #225

Spoiler
    Show

Just a note,,,

I am out for Xmas and New Year vacation so until the 7th of January my access will be sporadic and uncertain. I will occasionally come online and post for my PCs threads but that cant be guaranteed...

See you after the Holidays!

Johan shrugs calmly and is about to start talking when the food arrives. As you are served he takes an appreciative look at the food and drink the half-elf brings and also to the younger woman, also a half-elf, that does the serving.

"Well. I guess we can do business after taking an adventure on the fine meal you arranged" he says and digs in with pleasure. His comrade stays quiet and is more reserved.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Same here on the access, so no problem! And happy 2012 to you!

"That sounds like an excellent idea. Brains work better when fueled. Especially treats like these."

Scribly digs in as well.

17. - Top - End - #227

The food is indeed of the highest quality and you thorougly enjoy it. The wine served with the meal 'on the house' as the half-elf is quick to point out isnt the best you have tasted but its fine enough.

By the time you are done Mardher seems ready to get into business.

"So... our interests have to do with the fact that we are constantly fined and supervised for trying to outgrow the usual production. Baron Kotakis keeps insisting that increased production would lower the prices to the point where there is no control over the population. Now I realise that for Aldhaven that is important, it being a melting pot of cultures and beliefs but we should be allowed to trade with Bransgrove ((OOC: I am not 100% sure if that was the name of that city-state but its an ally of Aldhaven)) if our production is high! Progress Master Erek and increased production and expansion are the way forward..." he pauses.

"I off course am of base stock and though a citizen I have little power to go against the Baron and his cronies... even my friend here and his organisation are not enough of a detterent..."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly fakes a horrible smile as he realises once again, how little he knows of this mans business.

"Ah, indeed it is difficult to find support from those of noble origin, who know little of self-made power such as we have earned. It is one I am all to familiar with myself. It hasn't held me back though, and my words have solved many problems for me before..... and noble people have weak points just as we do. They know better how to hide them though."

"Of course, muscle [glance at the other man] is always handy, but I find that political intrigue works best without to much attention."

"Now about your problem. Currently the ?!?Archduke?!? is conducting trade negotiations, opening up new trade routes with ???. Local businesses are at risk if they aren't allowed to export as well. That would lead to unfair competition from outside business. Also, to stem the tide of cheap goods, I will propose an import tax on those goods, which is where your friend might come in. Men, strong men will be needed to exact these taxes and make sure they are payed. I'm sure I don't have to explain the benefit of having your partner keeping an eye on imports for your local businesses."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    tickle tickle

20. - Top - End - #230

He nods his agreement at your words and so does the man beside him.

"That is good. I expect you to hold your word and push for these reforms..." he says calmly.

"We do off course have the second request... or rather hope I should say. As you are aware current legislation limits the number of household guards a citizen can have if they dont own a title. Though perhaps 100 years ago that made sense with the state itself having a powerful guard this is no longer the case." he pauses to receive a nod from the other man.

"In a period of politicaly volatility and at the same time with all the disturbing reports from the Slums and the Docks as well as rumors of spies from the Empire of Seven Dragons we would like to petition the city council or the nobles, whoever you think is more appropriate, that the mandated limit of 9 bodyguards or household guard be extended to 15. My friend has many times been approached by hopeful young men wanting to join his mercenary company only for him to have to reject them due to such archaic laws..." he explains.

"I understand the immidiate opposition this will face... the powers that be will not want a rich middle class that can fight back if threatened and for this reason I can support financially any activities that will help you convince the ears that need convincing... additionally perhaps they will feel better if they add some kind of clause about household guards being forced to serve in the military in case of an attack with pay off course. Perhaps we could even consider wearing some kind of badge or tabard that identifies the mercenary company so as not to confuse members of a company from just ordinary ruffians..."

Spoiler
    Show

Fully back now!

Also I also realise your character may feel out of depth with such discussions but it does make sense :D More research next time may prove invaluable along with your formidable skills from impersonation.

Also roll me a diplomacy and bluff for the overall discussion with this guy.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do feel a bit out of depth indeed, but Scribly would have the exact same thing, so it works rather well. Both him and me have learned to prepare better when impersonating someone. After all, it is his first time doing this.

Bluff (1d20+12)[31]
    Diplomacy (1d20+1)[14]

"What an interesting proposition indeed. This would likely hit opposition as you said. A first glance there is little to gain for the nobility by allowing this. I'm such some kind of clause would be in order. ....

.... Perhaps if those troubles you speak of became of bigger problem and spread to the rest of city. Then they'd need more capable men at the ready. .....

..... But on this I can't promise anything yet. I'll have to think about this and pull a few strings to see some initial reactions. In the mean time, I'm you've found a couple of nice workarounds. Right?"

22. - Top - End - #232

You seem to calm some of his worries and objections both with your flow and your reasoning and though at some points you start seeing him ready to argue he eventually refrains from commenting.

"Not so much workarounds as extreme measures. The specific law mentions that a particular citizen and his family may not have more than the particular number of personal retinue... now if said citizens son is married that creates a different family unit and the son can hire the amount of mercenaries as well. It is not an exact solution and one that is frowned upon though... and as anyone will tell you I pride myself in being as open about my ties and business as possible..." he stops here and orders some more wine.

"In any case. I have heard enough Master Erek. You shall have my support for the election but I will hold you to your word... I expect more than just you probbing at the issues, I expect you to push and insist down the line..."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

"I thank you for your support. I will not let down my supporters. After all, together we can make this city better!"

Scribly pays for the meal and wine of course.

24. - Top - End - #234

Both men object at you paying inittially but then give in.

They thank you for your time and for the meeting and shake your hand.

"A pleasure Master Erek" the older man says.

"Yes, a pleasure indeed. So farewell and we shall keep in touch..." say Mardher before departing.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed we will!", says Scribly as he leaves as well.

Well, I suppose that went well. Although, the new turn of events will piss of quite a lot more people then I thought. ... Well, they'll never know it was me anyway.

Scribly smiles.

26. - Top - End - #236

Spoiler
    Show

Or will they.... dun dun dun!

Please note 400 xp for the meetings you had so far and passing off as your mark.

You smile at the world at large over your sucess. Your bodyguard stays a silent guardian as he gazes towards infinity.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps he should frame them with the kill after his withdrawal.

"Alright, onto my next meeting. Can't wait to get this one over."

28. - Top - End - #238

Your next meeting is actually the one with your employer in an effort to fill your schedule until late evening.

You know the way to the house and if you indeed head there you are shown in without delay from the same servant that was almost rude to you when you went for the job.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly heads in, leaving his bodyguard outside whichever room they meet in.

30. - Top - End - #240

Your employer looks at you for a moment as you enter the same study where you had been given the job.

His unreadable face then breaks into a smile.

"You can relax here my friend. There are wards and staff in place to avoid scrying..." he says waving his hand all around.

"So, how do you find your new skin?"