New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Once upon a time

Just wanted to say I frickin' love this show.

The grimdark version of Enchanted, basically (well as Grimdark as PG can be).
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Once upon a time

When did the first episode of that come out!? far it! I meant to look around in the menu for it!
    Last edited by Brazen Shield; 2011-10-24 at 11:59 AM.
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    When did the first episode of that come out!? far it! I meant to look around in the menu for it!
    Last night, ABC.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh.

Wasn't bad, but wasn't particularly impressive either.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Just wanted to say I frickin' love this show.

The grimdark version of Enchanted, basically (well as Grimdark as PG can be).
    I agree with every single word. The grimdark version is a great innovation in this series about Enchanted. The story sounds no common, I hope it can surprise me yet.
    Today, it's only Thursday! Sunday is too far yet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Thank God it's Sunday, finally!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, I take it they're setting Rumpelstiltskin up as the real main villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    So, I take it they're setting Rumpelstiltskin up as the real main villain.
    He always was.

I can't believe the Evil Queen walked right into that one. Maleficent seems to be the saner of the two, which says a lot.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I didn't think I'd like this show, but it's actually turning out ok for me, so I get to add another to the list.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Kind of shocking the queen does THAT, and still probably won't be the big bad?

Kind of naive to think the curse would work completely on the being that made it though.

11. - Top - End - #11

He always was.
    How do you mean?
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually kinda agree with Avilan. Rumpelstiltskin already seemed the kinda person to manipulate people to his own ends, even from behind bars. After all, he was the one that made the curse to begin with, it sounds like getting someone to go through the sacrifice needed to activate the curse for him is just his style.
    Also it looks like the curse affected the Queen too, but possibly not Rumpelstiltskin himself. It looks like to me the show is trying to paint the Queen in an unlikeable but slightly sympathetic light. She may something of a horrible person, but horrible in ways that are rather human. It kinda suggests that while she isn't good at showing it, she does care for Henry, and not as some sort of living mcguffin but simply as a mother (who clearly has no idea on how to be a mother) to a son. I don't think they would do that if she was the intended villain.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    I actually kinda agree with Avilan. Rumpelstiltskin already seemed the kinda person to manipulate people to his own ends, even from behind bars. After all, he was the one that made the curse to begin with, it sounds like getting someone to go through the sacrifice needed to activate the curse for him is just his style.
    I agree with all that. When Avilan said, "He always was [the real villain]," I assumed he meant, "We already knew he was the real villain." Hence, my confusion, since all the trailers I saw and the pilot indicated that Regina was the bad guy, with "Mister Gold" being, at most, a hostile third faction.

Also it looks like the curse affected the Queen too, but possibly not Rumpelstiltskin himself.
    I wonder about that. Stiltskin obviously managed to dodge the bad parts of the curse, but its effects on the Queen seem a bit ambiguous. On the one hand, she doesn't seem to recognize Mr. Gold for who he really is, isn't expecting Snow White's child to show up and ruin things, and (most tellingly) doesn't hold any particular vendetta against "Blanche."

On the other hand, she has clear memories of the adoption ten years ago, despite Henry's claim that Storybrooke residents' memories are hazy and vague; she still attaches some sort of emotional significance to the name "Henry," and acts strangely reticent when Gold brings it up; and Henry is worried about what will happen if Regina discovers the prophecy. Plus, we have Stiltskin's cryptic remark that she already knows who Emma is.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    On the other hand, she has clear memories of the adoption ten years ago, despite Henry's claim that Storybrooke residents' memories are hazy and vague; she still attaches some sort of emotional significance to the name "Henry," and acts strangely reticent when Gold brings it up; and Henry is worried about what will happen if Regina discovers the prophecy. Plus, we have Stiltskin's cryptic remark that she already knows who Emma is.
    'Hazy memories' doesn't necessarily mean none of them would be clear, it's also possible that just by the nature of the memories seeming to be incomplete that some people like Regina might start 'filling in' them. THe human mind has a remarkable ability to bounce back and adapt, especially with things it doesn't understand. But that's enough psychobabble.
    Though side-note: with a town full of what are basically amnesics, I wonder just how Archie Hopper explains it as a psychiatrist?

Anyways, I didn't really think about the lingering possibility of Regina figuring out the curse (As Regina though, doesn't she already 'know' about it? She mentioned Henry calls her the Evil Queen. I'm not sure how she would react to Emma being part of it honestly as she already thinks it's kinda nonsense.)
    The thing that clinched it with Mr. Gold as more of a villain then Regina was Henry's adoption. Regina jut thought she was getting a normal boy, but Mr. Gold went out of his way to find the boy the would set everything in motion and we don't know why.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Actually I pinned him as a major villain already in the first episode, but yes, after the second one there is no doubt he is the real villain, as well as the only one except Henry that knows exactly what is going on.

Btw, who is the sheriff supposed to have been?

16. - Top - End - #16

If he turns out to be the Big Bad Wolf or something I think I just might stop watching in protest.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually I pinned him as a major villain already in the first episode, but yes, after the second one there is no doubt he is the real villain, as well as the only one except Henry that knows exactly what is going on.

Btw, who is the sheriff supposed to have been?
    Absolutely no idea, me and my wife were wondering this very thing.

On another note, could someone write a detailed synopsis of the second episode(obviously put it in spoilers)? Me and my wife were without electricity for 3 days due to a minor snowstorm, and as such, missed the second episode. I would be eternally grateful :)

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    On another note, could someone write a detailed synopsis of the second episode(obviously put it in spoilers)? Me and my wife were without electricity for 3 days due to a minor snowstorm, and as such, missed the second episode. I would be eternally grateful :)
    How about a link to watch it on Hulu instead?
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmmm, Robert Carlyle playing a mysterious morally ambiguous puppet master with knowledge of powerful secrets, sounds strangely familiar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by playswithfire View Post
    How about a link to watch it on Hulu instead?
    Sadly, I forgot to mention this on this thread, but I can't watch anything online, I'm on a 26.4k dial-up connection :-(

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely no idea, me and my wife were wondering this very thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Well let's see...

"IRL": Henry gives Emma the last 10 or so pages of his book, so his mother won't be able to read the end (where supposedly Emma saves everyone).

In the meantime, Regina tries to frame Emma by making it appear as if she broke in and stole Henry's files from his therapy sessions.
    The sheriff sort of believes Emma's claim that she has been framed, and so does Blanche, who posts bail. The two talk a bit and Emma is visually shocked when she finds out Henry thinks Blanche is Snow White (because that would mean she is talking to her birthmother right now!) She doesn't reveal anything about that, though.

Emma, out of jail, gets pissed off and cuts down half of Regina's apple tree with a chain saw and they exchange threats.

Que flashback: The Evil Queen decides she needs to use "The Curse", the big one. Only she has traded it with Maleficent for her Sleeping Curse and must negotiate to get it back. Things quickly heat up in Maleficent's castle however because Maleficent is sane enough to reveal that the reason she traded curses with the Evil Queen is so that no-one would ever use the Curse (she herself, despite being who she is, thinks it is WAY too evil to use). The two evil witches do battle and the Queen defeats Maleficent by forcing her to protect her pet black unicorn with her life, but refuses to kill her since "you are my only friend". She takes The Curse and tries to use it.

The Curse fails, and the Queen is forced to go to the one she traded it from in the first place to find out what she did wrong. Surprise surprise... the person she traded it from is Rumpelstiltskin.

He advices her, after making her a new deal that he, whatever happens, can have whatever he wishes from her if he just says "please" first, that in order to make it work she must cut out the heart of something she truly loves. It turns out that the one person she truly loves is her butler, who almost manages to talk her out of this path to the ultimate dark side before she stabs him and takes his heart.

After the fact it turns out that the "butler" actually was her father!!

The last thing we see in the flashback is the Queen placing a single black rose at her fathers grave (the inscription on the stone says "Henry, beloved father") before she unleashes the Curse.

"IRL" again: Regina has called the sheriff and wants him to throw Emma in jail again. He advises against it and says there is easier and better ways to make Emma stay away from Henry (and suddenly of course we now understand why he is named Henry).

Regina sets up a meeting with Emma, where she coaxes Emma into saying she knows Henry is crazy, and of course Regina has made sure Henry hears it, and he gets very upset.

The episode ends, however, with Emma finding Henry at Hopper's office and explains she now believes Henry, and she must lie to the Queen to make her think she doesn't. They then burn the last pages of the book and walks off somewhere outside.

Regina is busy trying to save her tree when Mr Gold shows up, say she seems to be in a very good mood despite the tree incident. She says she is, since Emma now has left town. He lets her know he saw them walk off hand in hand from Dr Hopper's office...
    Then we get a little more details about their relationship: It seems Mr Gold, personally, helped with Regina's adoption request and "just happened" to pick Henry for her. He also insists that Regina "should" know, or figure out, who Emma is. He ends the episode by asking Regina to step aside... "please". And she does, with a very uncomfortable look on her face.

Conclusions so far is that it seems the only two people who either remembers everything or at least knows everything are Rumpelstiltskin and Henry.
    Even Regina seems hazy in how she became Mayor to begin with, and apart from a fixation with apples (she always drinks her homemade cider) actually seems like a better person than her old self. For one thing she seems to truly love Henry (Jr) and is honestly very scared that Emma will steal him away.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Meh. I've seen previews of it but all and all it doesn't look that appealing to me. I don't know. Seems a little too much like melodrama for me, but I haven't seen it so what do I know.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well let's see...

"IRL": Henry gives Emma the last 10 or so pages of his book, so his mother won't be able to read the end (where supposedly Emma saves everyone).

In the meantime, Regina tries to frame Emma by making it appear as if she broke in and stole Henry's files from his therapy sessions.
    The sheriff sort of believes Emma's claim that she has been framed, and so does Blanche, who posts bail. The two talk a bit and Emma is visually shocked when she finds out Henry thinks Blanche is Snow White (because that would mean she is talking to her birthmother right now!) She doesn't reveal anything about that, though.

Emma, out of jail, gets pissed off and cuts down half of Regina's apple tree with a chain saw and they exchange threats.

Que flashback: The Evil Queen decides she needs to use "The Curse", the big one. Only she has traded it with Maleficent for her Sleeping Curse and must negotiate to get it back. Things quickly heat up in Maleficent's castle however because Maleficent is sane enough to reveal that the reason she traded curses with the Evil Queen is so that no-one would ever use the Curse (she herself, despite being who she is, thinks it is WAY too evil to use). The two evil witches do battle and the Queen defeats Maleficent by forcing her to protect her pet black unicorn with her life, but refuses to kill her since "you are my only friend". She takes The Curse and tries to use it.

The Curse fails, and the Queen is forced to go to the one she traded it from in the first place to find out what she did wrong. Surprise surprise... the person she traded it from is Rumpelstiltskin.

He advices her, after making her a new deal that he, whatever happens, can have whatever he wishes from her if he just says "please" first, that in order to make it work she must cut out the heart of something she truly loves. It turns out that the one person she truly loves is her butler, who almost manages to talk her out of this path to the ultimate dark side before she stabs him and takes his heart.

After the fact it turns out that the "butler" actually was her father!!

The last thing we see in the flashback is the Queen placing a single black rose at her fathers grave (the inscription on the stone says "Henry, beloved father") before she unleashes the Curse.

"IRL" again: Regina has called the sheriff and wants him to throw Emma in jail again. He advises against it and says there is easier and better ways to make Emma stay away from Henry (and suddenly of course we now understand why he is named Henry).

Regina sets up a meeting with Emma, where she coaxes Emma into saying she knows Henry is crazy, and of course Regina has made sure Henry hears it, and he gets very upset.

The episode ends, however, with Emma finding Henry at Hopper's office and explains she now believes Henry, and she must lie to the Queen to make her think she doesn't. They then burn the last pages of the book and walks off somewhere outside.

Regina is busy trying to save her tree when Mr Gold shows up, say she seems to be in a very good mood despite the tree incident. She says she is, since Emma now has left town. He lets her know he saw them walk off hand in hand from Dr Hopper's office...
    Then we get a little more details about their relationship: It seems Mr Gold, personally, helped with Regina's adoption request and "just happened" to pick Henry for her. He also insists that Regina "should" know, or figure out, who Emma is. He ends the episode by asking Regina to step aside... "please". And she does, with a very uncomfortable look on her face.

Conclusions so far is that it seems the only two people who either remembers everything or at least knows everything are Rumpelstiltskin and Henry.
    Even Regina seems hazy in how she became Mayor to begin with, and apart from a fixation with apples (she always drinks her homemade cider) actually seems like a better person than her old self. For one thing she seems to truly love Henry (Jr) and is honestly very scared that Emma will steal him away.
    Woot! Thank you :) Now me and my wife won't be to terribly confused when we watch the third episode this sunday :)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Woot! Thank you :) Now me and my wife won't be to terribly confused when we watch the third episode this sunday :)
    Glad to help

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

So with Maleficent around, does that mean we'll be getting Sleeping Beauty? Will Henry have a Fairy Godmother? Any references to Cinderella yet?

Also, the Sheriff's name is Sheriff Graham... Hansel? >.> <.<

Episode 2 more spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

The evil queen mentions that she had a lover, one who made her happy and died, thanks to Snow White. That's why she's so bitter; she's consumed by making her pay for what she did.

Relevant quotes:
    "Weren't you about the same age (as Snow White) when you were to be married before she ruined it all?"

And: "What I love the most died because of Snow White"
    Last edited by Joran; 2011-11-06 at 02:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Also, the Sheriff's name is Sheriff Graham... Hansel? >.> <.<
    That crossed my mind too, even if it is a kinda a stretch (you can just as well say he's the Gingerbread man). Thing that make me think that might be unlikely is the absence of Gretel. Even on this side of things the characters seem to be closely bonded with their counterparts (Red and her grandmother, the Evil Queen and the Mirror). As far as we know, the only character Graham hangs around is the Evil Queen.

Oh wait, doi, what about the Huntsman? (You know, the one that was supposed to kill Snow White on the Queen's behalf but took pity on her?)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Once upon a time

Oh wait, doi, what about the Huntsman? (You know, the one that was supposed to kill Snow White on the Queen's behalf but took pity on her?)
    I was thinking that but confused that huntsman with the one from the Big Bad Wolf.

Don't understand the name though, because everyone else has a name linking them to their character.
    Last edited by Joran; 2011-11-06 at 12:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Not really, the Evil Queen is simply 'Regina Mills' after all. We also don't know his full name yet, just his last name.

Looking at the Wikipedia character list it includes alot of characters that haven't appeared yet and many of them have rather ordinary names too (Cinderella is just 'Ashley' and her prince just 'Sean', though the Hansel and Gretel witch is there too as 'Ms Ginger' so Hansel and/or Gretel still might appear in some way).
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-11-06 at 01:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Not really, the Evil Queen is simply 'Regina Mills' after all. We also don't know his full name yet, just his last name.

Looking at the Wikipedia character list it includes alot of characters that haven't appeared yet and many of them have rather ordinary names too (Cinderella is just 'Ashley' and her prince just 'Sean', though the Hansel and Gretel witch is there too as 'Ms Ginger' so Hansel and/or Gretel still might appear in some way).
    Regina means "Queen", so there's the connection.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, there's a twist. Nothing like a good love triangle to mess with everyone.

Prince Charming has a name now, James in fairy tale land, and David Nolan in real world. David means beloved and Nolan means famous or noble, but I don't see a connection with Charming.

Sheriff Graham being The Huntsman looking better because he said something about being home in the woods and he could track someone.