Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri pushed an errant lock of hair behind her ear as she looked around the bar.

    Really, Roni, she asked? The Underground?

    She glanced around the bar. A trio of musicians performed bad renditions of the most popular tunes in one corner. The lead singer was a woman of indeterminate age whose voice, while pretty, had clearly seen better years. Various unsavory characters filled most of the booths, half hidden in shadows around the bar.

    The bar was a large circle in the middle of the room. The bartender was an old human with a grumpy face. He had been cleaning the same mug with a rag that was as probably as dirty as the mug for the last half of a candlemark.

    Roni shrugged.

    As they sat in their darkened corner booth, a scruffy looking man walked up to them.

    “You the one called Roni?” he asked. Without waiting for answer, “Boss wants to see you.”

    Vaeri reached for her spell component pouch.

    “Looking for this?” came a voice from under the table. A small Halfling came out from under the table a dagger in one hand and her pouch in the other.

    “Hey!” Vaeri startedto stand up and reach for a wand.

    “Uh uh,” The man said, “I wouldn’t do that,” he gave a nod over his shoulder toward the rest of the bar. Vaeri glanced around and saw that atleast two other patrons had crossbows out and pointed at them.

    Vaeri sat down.

    “What do you want?” Roni asked.

    “As I said, Boss wants to see you. Something about dropping a package in the river.”

    “Hey, even us poor students get stopped sometimes.”

    “Well, you need to explain it to the boss.” The man drew his longsword and gestured. “Up, Slowly.”

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    "Allright, allright, I'm up," Roni said in the huff of defeat. He rose to his feet as instructed, cursing at himself in Draconic under his breath the entire time. He knew that Gavin wouldn't take kindly to bad news, but he didn't know the bastard would take this unkindly to it, either. The bard raised his hands to show that he was unarmed, and a smirk crossed his face.

    "So," he mused, raising a hand to his chin, "Gavin told you a bit about us, eh? Smart move, disarming my sis of her components, else the two of you'd be in a world of hurt right about now. You know, he might even--"

    "Boss told us plenty 'bout you both," the unshaven man interrupted coldly. The halfling underfoot coughed and rasped, "Ferinstance, he told us to avoid her magic and your words. Said you were a proper con, he did. I don't trust a syllable, so save it and walk if you like your innards in their current arrangement."

    "Listen, I..." Roni thinks better of it and decides to follow directions. "Right." He begins to walk in silence as the two ruffians lead the siblings up a darkened staircase and into a long hallway. Roni had been in this hallway before: Gavin's office stood at the end, a lavish study behind a mahogany door. The other rooms were sparse, often containing naught more than the most recent crop of employees to disappoint the Boss. Roni wasn't too thrilled about this possible relocation, and so his tongue got the better of him.

    "There's one thing Boss neglected to tell you about us," he said to the thugs with a sadistic smile. The halfling poked him lightly with his dagger, but the scruffy man responded, "Oh yeah? I'll bite, kid, what's that?" With a sparkle in his eye, Roni said, "My words are dangerous. You see, I don't need pouches or fancy gestures to work my magic. Sure, I'm a liar, but my truth is much more powerful." With a quick arcane utterance, the hallway was filled with sparkling dust. The two ruffians clawed at their eyes, taking their attention from Roni and Vaeri for the few crucial seconds they needed.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of Hand - (1d20+11)[31] Conceal Spellcasting
    Will save DC 17 or the thugs are blinded for 4 rounds (let's say they fail


    "Run, sis! Down the stairs!" Roni shouted. He took off toward the darkened stairwell with his younger sibling in tow, practically falling down the steps on his way back toward the tavern. Roni laughed and turned to his sister, chiding her: "See kid, that's why it can always be handy to meditate on the Hoardmistress the morning of a big meeting. I went through my coinpurse and..." As the spellscale continues his tale, he doesn't even notice four of the patrons at the bar had turned from their pints to train weapons on the two youths. "Damn it to the Nine," Roni spat as he noticed the odds weren't in their favor. "I knew there was some detail I had forgotten...Always count the thugs at the bar. Sheesh." He turned to his sister with a smile on his face and pleading in his eyes. "So Vaeri, do you have any tricks up your sleeve?"

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri looks at Roni and then back at the surrounding guards...

    "Of course." she replies. Even as she begins talking, a crystallike shard of ice appears in her hand. It flies toward the men at the bar exploding in shards at thier feet.

    Three are momentarily surprised by the attack but the fourth lets fly an arrow which hits Vaeri in the thigh.

    (OOC: spell like ability, hits the first guy, splash attack hits the two ajacent, assumed weapons were hand crossbows)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni takes his sister by the hand and yanks her away from the thugs. "Nothing a quick Cure Light Wounds can't fix once we're out," he shrugs, hoping that remaining calm would lessen the intensity of the situation. "Beautiful execution, but the delivery needs a little more...pizzazz." As he speaks, sparkly dust once again bursts forth around the four thugs at the bar, leaving them scratching at their eyes and affording the twins time to get away.

    The two of them bolt towards the door, but their egress is blocked by a very large shadow. Roni steps backwards, encouraging his sister to follow his lead. The shadow steps forward into the light of the pub, a hulking hairy man with long fangs that jut out from his face in various directions, all of them seemingly wrong. Roni knew this shifter well--or at least, better than he'd like to. "G-G-Gavin?" he mutters, attempting to drop another Glitterdust just behind the boss. However, the large man merely laughs as he shrugs off the effects of the spell and takes another step forward. "No more magic tricks, kids," he growls as he reaches for both of the Quickwings with his mighty paws, "time to pay up."

    Roni quickly dodges the ruffian's claws, but Vaeri isn't as fleetfooted. Gavin grunts and smiles all the same, clutching the female spellscale by the neck with both hands. "Pay," he roars, "with the rod, coin, or blood. Your choice."

    "Now, let's get Zen, Gavin, the rod's safe. And I'd thank you kindly to keep your voice down about it. Neither of us need the attention of--" Roni begins.

    "You LOST it!" Gavin shouts. "No more lies about intricate plans to get it off campus, no more tall tales about keeping it safe until the heat's off. The next untrue words from your lips will slit your sister's throat! Now...pay."

    "Okay, okay," Roni says, stalling for time as tears swell up in his eyes. "We've got no coin to speak of, but we'll still get your artifact. We'll head back on the next Rail out of here, find it lickety split, and pay in the currency initially agreed." Here his voice drops to a whisper, "...the Rod of the Avaricious herself." He tries to maintain composure, but begins sobbing as he begs, "Please, just let us go get it. Then, if you still want blood as reparation for damages and delay, you can take mine. I'm the one that failed you, Gavin, not her. Just let her go."

    Gavin smirks and tightens his grip on Vaeri's throat. "The time for negotiations has passed. Now is the time for payment." He lets go of the girl's neck with one paw, but only to raise it over his head, ready to strike. Roni opens his mouth to speak, but no words emerge. All he can do is watch in abject terror as Gavin's claws tear through the thick, smoky air towards Vaeri's face.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-04 at 04:55 PM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    As the commotion rippled through the tavern, all eyes were drawn towards the conflict surrounding the two unlikely scaled youths. From atop the mezzanine level a large figure observed the scene, concealed within the voluminous expanse of a grey hooded greatcloak. Keen eyes peered out from the shadows within as the scene quickly went from bad to ugly. A shining mailed gauntlet reached out to grab a finely wrought longspear leaning against the wall in the discreet corner alcove and the shrouded figure moved closer to the edge of the balcony. When the crossbow bolt sunk deep into the Spellscale's thigh, the gauntlet tightened it's grip in anger though no one noticed.

    Just as the clawed hand was about to descend upon the fair-scaled maiden a loud voice cried out "STOP!"

    All eyes turned toward the voice and Gavin paused, giving a grunt of confusion as he slowly brought his gaze upward. The hooded figure pointed one mailed finger towards the amoral Shifter. "Unhand the girl you cur!"

    Suddenly the cloak burst open, and a shadow befell the room below as great wings unfurled, blocking a few of the overhead lamps. Golden scales gleamed upon the leathery wings and along the exposed arms and thighs of the being. A breastplate of shining mithral, etched with ornate designs of ivy matched the spiked gauntlets and the greaves upon it's shins. From beneath the half-helm it wore was a shocking sight, for the face extended into the powerful jaws and muzzle of a golden dragon. Overlapping mithral plates framed the reptilian azure eyes and down the snout, culminating in a rhino-like metal spike. Two mustache-like tendrils extended from either side of it's upper lip while several more hung from it's exposed chin like a goatee of whiskers. Atop it's head sweeping back from tailored cut-outs were a pair of resplendent golden horns.

    The sudden appearance of the draconic figure sent a wave of shock and awe rippling through the spectators and time seemed for a moment to stand still. Then, with no further warning the figure leapt from the balcony, tucking it's wings in and dropping like a stone towards the hapless villain. The dragon-man lead his attack with a longspear but at the last moment twisted the haft so that the flat edge of the bladed tip connected directly with the mob-boss's temple. When the blow connected it was followed with a flash of golden light and a peal of thunder that sent the shifter crashing back into the bar causing an entire wall of expensive liquor to come shattering down on top of him. He did not get up. Meanwhile he had indeed let go of the girl and she was caught deflty in the arms of her brother.

    The shock and awe did not last for long however as Gavin's thugs quickly returned to their wits at the sight of their felled employer. Several more crossbow bolts sailed through the air towards the trio. Two glanced off the heavily reinforced breastplate but a third lodged itself into the dragon-man's shoulder. Auran let out a grunt of pain but shrugged it off, snapping the fletching off the bolt so it would not hinder his movement. Having spent their loaded ammunition the bar-thugs drew an assortment of wicked looking blades and began to advance upon the new threat.

    The figure swept it's spear in a wide arc, keeping them at bay, but there were too many...he wouldn't be able to keep them off for long.

    He turned back to glance at the siblings, issuing a gruff command. "RUN! QUICKLY! I'll hold them off..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-04 at 08:30 PM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri doesn't hesitate as the truly draconic like creature swoops down from above to threaten.

    The minute Gavin's hands release her neck, she backs away. Realizing that she can't leave...she looks at Roni...

    This is so going to get me killed, isn't it?

    She turns to Gavin and casts another round of ice darts at him, splashing the surrounding area in ice.

    ~Fireheart
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-11 at 08:56 AM. Reason: get the character right!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni furrows his brow at his sister's comment. Gavin was unconscious, and his men were being held at bay by an unnamed interloper. Now was as good a time as any for a daring escape.

    "The hell you will!" he scoffs, grabbing his sister by the wrist as he makes his way toward the door. In the blink of an eye, he slides a small scrap of parchment into one of the dragon man's pockets. "Meet there in an hour," he whispers, "for a round of gratitude."

    Sleight of Hand - (1d20+11)[22]

    @TekHed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scrap of parchment reads simply "Lucky Nines."


    As they run down a few spiraling staircases towards the lower levels of Sharn, entrenched in the shadows of the city's tallest towers, Roni begins to glance back over his shoulder with decreasing frequency. As they descend through Middle and into Lower Menthis, the glances back stop entirely, replaced with glances around. This is a level of the city unlike anything Vaeri's experienced in her few short months traveling with Roni. Callgirls flaunt their wares on street corners and in shop windows, various lowlives sit along the walkways begging for coins, and the tavern windows are darker--missing the glow of the hearth that marks the upscale breweries of the higher district surrounding the University.

    The two spellscales duck into a doorway under a sign that bears no insignia besides two crudely carved playing cards: a pair of nines. A pair of bells hung over the door jingle and jangle as the two enter, and within seconds a blade emerges from the dark and presses itself against Roni's neck.

    "Feeling lucky?" a disembodied voice whispers in a seductive purr.

    "Balinor's bounty!" Roni calls out, "you scared the daylights out of me, Sheila! It's just me." The blade retreats to the shadows from whence it came, and in its place emerges a spry elven woman. Her hair is graying prematurely and the rest of her seems to be half-obscured by darkness no matter which way she turns. Roni fumbles in his pockets and pulls out a gold coin, then begins an awkward introduction.

    "Sheil, we've got another coming within the hour; a big, er, lizardy-lookin' fellow. Oh yeah, and this is my kid sister, Vaeri. Vaeri," he says, turning to his sister, "this is Sheila. She owns the place, and affords me an opportunity to hole up here should the need arise. A single coin in her pocket erases a single name from her memory--mine. I'm hoping she can waive the fee for you and our friend, though, given my repeat business."

    Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[24]

    "Anything for such a loyal customer," Sheila says with a wink. "I'll go pour you poor kids some pints."

    Roni looks back to Vaeri, embarassment creeping over his face. He raises both hands to her and begins an explanation:

    "Sheila needed some help getting out of House Phiarlan a few years back. I greased some palms, misplaced some official House records, and got her a new name. That's it." He looks sheepishly from side to side before adding, "I only come here for the cheap booze and anonymity; not any of the other...er, services. Scale's secret!" He raises the back of his palm towards his sister, showing his bright crimson scales in a ritual the two had performed since their youth when keeping secrets or making oaths.

    Sense Motive DC Bluff - (1d20+15)[17] to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roni's not being outright deceptive, but he's definitely holding back information.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-09 at 10:13 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Spoiler
    Show
    @Fireheart: It's Gavin not Galen...


    As the two Spellscales ducked out behind the bar, the large group of ne'er-do-wells surrounded the Dragonborn. One jumped in only to be skewered on the end of the a spear and tossed back. This left Auran open however and three more rushed into flanking position, one of them drawing blood from a deep gash in the paladin's right arm.

    Dropping the spear at his feet, Auran sidestepped away from the thug who had just hit him towards another, in one smooth motion drawing the ornate elegant shaped shield he had slung upon his back, it's standard bearing two regal dragons guarding a winged heart. As soon as he was in range of his target a massive heavy morningstar appeared in his hand even as he swung the mighty melee weapon in an ark that dropped his target in one blow. Bellowing in triumph Auran bashed his weapon and shield together in a display of ferocity and intimidation. Four more goons rushed in to fill the void.

    The next minute was spent trading blows, but the Dragonborn's heavy shield was fortified by divine providence and the knaves may as well have been attacking a wall of mithral. For every blow that glanced off his shield one his own struck true until only a handful were left. Smarter than their fellows they did not immediately charge in but hesitated, giving Auran a chance to backpedal towards the door, picking up his spear in the process.

    "Don't follow me..."
    he said in warning to the remaining mobsters. With that he backed through the door and turned tail, slinging his shield back into position between his wings and dropping the warstar back onto his belt. Of course, the moment he turned his back the villains gave chase. By the time they made it outside however he had vanished, for none of them thought immediately to look up. So it was that Auran Sol, the Dragonborn made his escape, soaring and gliding through the skyways of Sharn, garnering many glances of curiosity and wonder.

    Down he flew until he located an empty alleyway and alighted softly upon the cobblestone. Drawing his cloak and hood back into position he moved nondescriptly through the streets, stopping once to gain directions from a merchant's kiosk. It wasn't long before a tall, broad, shrouded figure was rapping the butt of it's spear against the wooden door of the Lucky Nines...
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    "Sheila needed some help getting out of House Phiarlan a few years back. I greased some palms, misplaced some official House records, and got her a new name. That's it." He looks sheepishly from side to side before adding, "I only come here for the cheap booze and anonymity; not any of the other...er, services. Scale's secret!" He raises the back of his palm towards his sister, showing his bright crimson scales in a ritual the two had performed since their youth when keeping secrets or making oaths.

    Sense Motive DC [roll2] to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roni's not being outright deceptive, but he's definitely holding back information.
    Sense Motive
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+0)[9] Not a chance!


    Raising her hand to match that of her brother, Vaeri's silverblue scales shimmer in the light. She nods.

    "Okay. Is it safe? Do you think we need to leave for a while? Who was that? Did you know the DragonSon? Why did he help us?"

    (OOC - I'm going on the idea that Dragonborn are so rare that Vaeri doesn't know what it is. She's decided in her head that since Auran doesn't look like a spellscale or a dragon, he must be the child of a dragon.)
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-11 at 09:51 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni shrugs, squinting as he tries to look out the window. The glass is smeared with bits of dirt, splashes of old beverages, and a healthy dose of lampblack intentionally applied to keep out prying eyes.

    "Safe's a relative term, sis. We're hidden better than a half-elf in Skyway here. I slipped our friend the name of the place, and the sign's hardly a riddle. Any dragonblood worth his wings can solve that one in a matter of minutes. I figure if he shows, he's solid. If not, he's either too dumb or he's gone to the Watch. I don't know any more about him than you, but this may be our time to learn more."

    Roni continues looking out the window, drumming a fingertip against his chin. Sheila emerges from the kitchen clutching four pints of ale in dingy, dented mugs. She slides one into Vaeri's hands, offers one to Roni, and leaves the third on the table. The weathered elf clutches the final mug by the handle and takes a long, slow, sip.

    "Thanks, love," Roni turns and says with a smile, lingering for only an instant before returning his gaze to the window. "If we stay put in Sharn, the Boromars will send men looking, but they won't find us here. We shouldn't leave for safety, but for the opportunity to get this Rod ourselves. I figure we should definitely head back out towards Lurching Tower, but maybe not on the Lightning. Gavin knows where the rod is, so he'll send men looking to collect. If we go too, we can either find it ourselves or let them do the hard work for us before nicking it from them.

    Gavin's been setting up a buy since before he hired us, so it shouldn't be too hard to sniff out his buyer--they'll be getting antsy with all the delay. We find them, cut out the middle man, and make mountains more than we were fixing to with Gavin. That'll really show him. I'm not too wild about splitting the score with a third, but we may need this dragonman's talents. I don't know if he's looking for coin or he's got a hero streak, but he helped out when it was easier not to, and that's worth something. Ah, here he comes!"


    The knocking of the stranger's spear against the door of the tavern echoed loudly around its mostly-empty interior. "That's him, Sheil. Try to give him a more friendly greeting than you gave me." The elf nods and walks toward the door, her steps whisper-quiet. She opens the door barely enough to afford entrance and rasps:

    "They're expecting you. Quickly, now."

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    The tall figure pressed it's way through the door and glanced about the room warily. Spying the two Spellscales it approached them, dark and menacing in it's height and concealment. The tip of his snout could be seen protruding from the confines of the hood, it's golden whisker like tendrils framing it's solid jaw. A spiked gauntlet emerged from under the cloak, one clawed finger pointing towards Roni.

    "The Rod. Tell me everything you know about it..."
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri looked at the tall imposing figure and back at Roni...

    Something tells me you'd better do what he says, brother. as she tried to make herself smaller.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni raises both hands, palms showing, and places them gently upon the spiked gauntlet. "Certainly, friend," he says with a smile. "First and foremost, have a seat and take a load off while I tell you about it. Kick up your feet, knock down some ale. Never quite caught your name. I'm Roni, and this is my sister Vaeri. We both really appreciate what you did back at the Underground, mister...?" Roni waits just long enough for the dragonborn to say his name. "Now, as for the rod..."

    Roni sits down at the table and takes a pull from his mug, smacking his lips before continuing. "Thing's stuffed with spells, five in one just like its namesake. Nasty stuff, too, Dominate Person, Insect Plague, yada yada yada. So naturally, there's demand for it--the baddies want it for whatever nefarious schemes they're each cooking, the suits want it to keep it out of the wrong hands, and even the weapon smugglers want it because, at the end of the day, it's a pretty stick you can hit people with. Speak a word, and you can add a light show to each hit. Not a bad deal, really. Any dwarf forges it, you could probably fetch a swift 50K.

    Of course, this isn't something any halfling with a beard can just pull out of the fire. Legend holds it once belonged to Tiamat herself, and serves as one of the five keys needed to free her from her eternal prison or some such nonsense. But still, just because someone's a religious wahoo doesn't mean they're poor; the supposed significance of being able to free the Greedy Lady adds substantial value. If my calculations, appraisals, and sources are correct, the buyer Gavin had lined up was willing to go for 70 thou.

    What Gavin doesn't know is where I stowed it; Morgrave thinks the thing technically belongs to them due to some new Antiquity Archival grant they just got handed down from the Brelish throne...so they had sent a group of grad students to snatch it back when I accidentally checked it out of the library without signing for it. So I tossed it off the rail, and Gavin thinks the University's already gone for it. What he doesn't know is that I tossed two copies--a silent image of the rod when the University punks were looking, and the real deal went out the other side when they turned to look and plopped straight in a little lake.

    So the way I figure, the three of us head out towards Lurching Tower, retrieve it from whence it's stowed, contact Gavin's buyer ourselves, and turn up the temperature. Gavin's no longer involved, the University is asking questions about the rod, blah blah blah. Get him nervous enough, I can toss in a few little anonymity perks and we can pull about 75, 80 easy. Split three ways, we're looking at a cool 25 thousand gold for a few days' work. What do you say, Mister Auran?"


    Sense Motive DC (1d20+15)[27] to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the story is true, but Roni's eyes shifted slightly when relaying the part about fooling the University students.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-14 at 10:49 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I can't even make that sense motive with a nat 20! Clearly, Vaeri is utterly trusting of her brother. Crap and the only thing Vaeri wants to say is using OOC knowledge.


    Vaeri tries to shrug off her fear. Yes, please, won't you join us?
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-14 at 11:35 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    The foolish fop had no idea what he was mixed up in, but he did know enough to be dangerous.

    Auran declined to sit or drink or give his name until after the fast-talking Roni had come down off his rant.

    "Fool! The legends are true...for I have seen the Dark Mistress of Dragon's with mine own eyes..."

    He pulls back his hood again and his azure eyes bore into the bard. "I am Auran Sol, the Betrayer. Reborn of Bahamut, I am charged with the recovery of the Key. You will take me now to where you last had possession of it, and you had better pray it is where you say. Once it has been recovered I will return it to it's rightful guardians. Am I clear?"

    Just when Roni thought he was off the hook Auran continued. "I know you are lying about what happened on the train. You will come clean now or be held responsible for whatever comes of your folly..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't expect him to be quite such a hardass when I made him but that's what he's telling me he said so...yeah I'm going with it.

    Sense Motive: [roll]1d20+10[/roll]
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-15 at 01:28 AM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni's eyes go wide as the Dragonborn launches into him. "Er ,um..." is all he can muster before he sighs in exasperation. His eyes remain fixed somewhere on the bottom of his mug while he says, "I guess we don't really have an option, eh? And, um, the part about creating a quick illusion may have been a minor embellishment. It's quite possible that I tossed the Rod from the train in full view of the students from Morgrave University."

    He raises his hands, pleading for pardon as if Auran was a schoolmaster who was about to smack the boy for his insolence. When the impact doesn't come, he lowers his hands slowly before continuing. "As far as I know, they don't have it back yet. I just scoured the campus before our meeting with Gavin, and nothing turned up. So either they're on their way back with it, or it's still out there somewhere, just South of the track by Lurching Tower."

    Roni finishes off his mug in one swig and gulps down his ale, summoning the courage to ask: "So, these 'proper guardians,' how much will they pay for the Rod?" Roni hadn't expected this reaction from Auran, but he'd be damned if he was going to stop looking for a way to make some coin off of this relic.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-15 at 07:21 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    {/ooc}LOL!

    Sorry. Vaeri has absolutely nothing to say. Auran has now completely intimidated her and I'm pretty sure she's going to do whatever he or Roni says for right now.

    She is so going to need to grow a backbone soon.

    :) {/ooc}

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    "You will be lucky if they allow you to live, knowing as much as you do..." Auran answered with a hard edge.

    "The Eyes of Chronepsis see all and the Light of Syberis does not share my weakness of compassion. If you knew boy what you were dealing with you would not be so glib, nor sleep well again."

    He turned his reptilian gaze over to Vaeri. "You girl...what is your part in this?"
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri leans back and puts her hands up. Then suddenly, as the Dragonborn's words sink in, her eyes flash ice cold.

    Girl!? Girl? She says. She stands up. Suddenly her own draconic wings flash out, nearly hitting Roni.

    My name is Charivaeri Quickwing, thank you very much. And while I apreciate the rescue; I truly did not plan on dying today, you could be nicer. I don't know who taught you manners, Dragonborn but if you would make friends and allies, then it would behoove you to be a little less mean!

    She suddenly realizes that all eyes in the bar are staring at her. She quickly closes her wings and sits back down, still glaring at the Dragonborn.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Fine...backbone it is! And I realize that she didn't technically answer his question but I thought I'd give him a chance to respond to her outburst :) )

    (OOC2: I so need to change her cold to a bright blue!)
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-16 at 08:46 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Auran stared her down.

    "YES...girl!"
    His eyes burned into her like blue fire. "I walked this continent 16 millennia before humans ever set foot upon it. I have witnessed the atrocities of the Overfiends set loose. I have seen the Dark Lady in all her glory, and I..." he hesitated, the words stuck in his throat.

    "I was her greatest Champion..."
    his eyes suddenly softened and for a moment Vaeri could see the weight of ages of regret. Just as quickly however the walls came back down and he was fierce once more.

    "So yes...girl. I will not coddle you with politesse. Not when the stakes are so high. Every moment we delay brings the rod so much closer into the hands of the Enemy. Now answer my question...what part have you played in this...colossal debacle?"


    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah Vaeri should be Blue and Roni should be red...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-17 at 07:16 PM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni whistles through his teeth. "Wheeoo, sixteen thousand years, aye? So surely you must know what it's like to have a job go south on you--to lose a battle, even...unless you experienced sixteen millenia of unblemished success? The debacle was all mine; Vaeri batted eyelashes, greased palms, flashed smiles, and wrought magical destruction like the pro she is. So I'd kindly ask you to steer your animosity away from her."

    Knowledge - (1d20+6)[24] (burning a point of Inspiration)

    Roni falls silent for a minute, equal parts seething at the tonguelashing his sister had just received and thinking over Auran's admonition. He smirks and scoffs loudly. "Thousands of years old, yet you still believe the tales told to younglings? The Eyes of Chronepsis are naught but Argonnessian voyeurs these days, watching the Prophecy unfold from afar. The Light is more active, no argument there, but only on their home turf. What unfolds here in Khorvaire is no concern to them; they simply let the Chamber lurk in our alleys and nudge our politicians. Shouldn't we fear them, too? Why, the Dragon Above itself may come down from the stars to hunt us!"

    Roni guffaws but, noticing Auran's reaction, stops laughing. With a more serious tone, he continues:

    "I've always had a soft spot for matters of intrigue, but I think your approach a bit too dire. It is the job of the Eyes to know things; as such, they knew of the Rod long before I did. The Chamber makes the subtle moves necessary to ensure that things fall into the right hands--or at least, the hands that are right in their eyes. If the entire Conclave was after this Rod as you say, I'm sure they'd have it in their claws by now. The only groups that have anything to fear are those like the Talons of Tiamat, actively trying to twist the Draconic Prophecy to their aims. We have nothing to fear.

    Even still, we will help you retrieve this rod and return it to the proper keepers pro bono. After all, it can always help to have a cabal of dragons owe you a favor...or, at least, regard you with less scorn than the norm. If the situation is the emergency you paint it as, we should leave posthaste."


    The spellscale fishes a few more coins from his purse and places them on the bar with a wink and a blown kiss. "Sheila, my dear," he purrs to the barkeep, "a pleasure as always. We'll be requiring a backdoor exit this evening."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to suggest the rapid exit, just trying to move us into our main plot. TekHed, let me know if I got anything wrong above--I figured my Knowledge check afforded me a cursory glance at Dragons of Eberron . I don't know what kind of knowledge that falls under (local? nobility?), but all my modifiers except Arcana are the same, so it's a moot point. I tried to put enough facts in there to make Roni sound like the self-righteous, half-informed college dropout that he is.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-18 at 10:46 AM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri starts to shout back but Roni's quick intervention prevents her. Still glaring at Auran, she glances at Roni...

    I need a spell component pouch.
    she says, any chance one of your friends has one I can borrow?

    ~Fireheart
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2011-11-18 at 11:04 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Before Roni can even answer, Sheila hands a weathered spell component pouch to Vaeri. "Lost and found," the aging elf says with a shrug. Roni clicks his tongue and laughs, "You have to start meditating on the Hoardmistress, sis--you lose that pouch of yours left and right. Who'd you even meditate on this morning?"

    His friendly chiding continues as the party of three unlikely dragonblooded heroes leave Lucky Nines. A light rain had started to fall, but little did they know that it would become a deluge in a manner of minutes. As the rain pours, they press on towards towards Lurching Tower, the Rod of Tiamat, and an adventure bigger than any of them could fathom.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-11-18 at 04:53 PM.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    (ooc: Just going to interject myself into Roni's post since I wasn't finished yet.)

    "Aye... I am a member of the Chamber. Unfortunately your information is out of date and misdirected. Not surprising, since that is what Argonessen prefers when it comes to the lesser races. The Eyes of Chronepsis are perhaps the most potent beings in this Realm, though you are correct in that their studies largely consume them. It was one of their number that foretold my return and dispatched the Chamber to intercept me with this news: One of the Light who had been guarding the key went rogue...turned by Tiamat. The other guardians at that location were slain and the traitor has gone to ground. The Light, while the most potent army in existence is searching for her but she ditched the rod into mortal networks before she fled...presumably trying to get it to someone. In addition to finding the rod, the Chamber has been tasked with it's retrieval. We have limited time however...there are voices within the Light that would favor destruction of the entire continent, just to be sure. The Light has not moved en masse like that since the great age of Xen'Drik, long before even I was born. That should tell you how serious the situation is. I will say this for you...you seem to know more than the average mortal. That is well and good, but remember that only a little knowledge can be very dangerous..."

    As they exit the building into the back alleyways of Sharn's underbelly he continued.

    "Before we depart we must meet up with an associate of mine if we are heading back in the direction you say."


    Auran led them up through the many levels of the city, away from Fireside and towards Tavick's landing. At length their destination came in view...the 12 pillars of the Courthouse, each of the buildings namesake columns constructed of a different stone and capped with a forbidding statue of one of Sharn's old Lord-Mayors. As they approached the district several armed guards moved to intercept them.

    "What is your business in the Landing?" one of them asked.


    "I am Auran Sol, Lawful Paladin and my party has business at the Twelve Pillars with the itinerant Magistrate of Karnath." Auran produced the proper sheaf of papers, which were thoroughly checked over by the guardsman.

    "Very well...you may enter." he replied, seeming somewhat bored and disappointed that all seemed to be in order.

    Somewhere below, the crackling sound of the Rail could be heard, a conveyance they would all soon be back aboard. Auran lead them through the rather bustling and imposing Halls of Justice until finally Auran smiled (a fearsome toothy expression) at the sight of a very stern looking human who seemed to favor one leg heavily but who was clad in a gleaming armor every bit the equal of the one worn by Auran. Morso even, for it covered him head to toe with perfectly forged overlapping plates. As they approached closer, more disconcerting details became evident... the soft blue glow of his eyes for one, and the spectral glowing crown floating above his head. Perhaps this was no human after all...

    "Well met once more good Faien. Someone appears missing...have you dealt with your charge?"
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    The man turns at Auran's voice, and you can see that what Auran initially mistook for a crown was but slightly twisted light from a nearly transparent helm that wraps around his head, matching the armour he wears in style but negating the usual disadvantages a helm offers one's vision. It does not, in fact, seem to be entirely there; his half-heartedly combed brown hair seems to fall right through its apparent surface. His pale grey eyes do not glow; at least, not in the sense that they emit light. Looking into them, it is, however, difficult to shake the feeling that there is a light contained in them, bound and shaped to his will. His armour fits him perfectly, down to what seems to be a slight brace for his twisted left leg, but it is entirely devoid of ornament, every line and curve designed solely for practical use.

    "Sir Sol." Faien's voice is dry, tinged slightly with amusement. "He has indeed been 'dealt with,' and the details of his execution taken care of. I hope your descent into euphemism was not out of concern for your new companions." He nods to the two spellscales, the barest hint of a smile playing over his face. "I am Faien Illimis, magistrate of Karrnath. Yourselves?"
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-11-18 at 07:28 PM.
    Thanks to Arokh for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Roni gulps at Auran's explanation--a member of the Chamber? The boy had heard stories of such dragons pulling the marionette strings of public figures, but they had been simply that: stories, and for so long that he had ceased believing them in all their intrigue and gravity. But now one stood before him, and he bade himself to watch his tongue from now on. He had perused a few ancient scrolls that detailed the fullness of the Conclave's wrath, and now knowing that it was still very real causes the boy to mature years in a few minutes' walk.

    At the courthouse, Roni marvels at the ease with which Auran provides his documentation and is given entry. "You know," he says, "for a job a few months back I needed some similar papers." His eyes dart around, making sure they are out of the earshot of guards and officials alike, before whispering, "burnt myself more times then I'd care to mention forging that wax seal. And you, you just HAVE the real thing. Working with you could be quite handy, give me a chance to--"

    His words catch in his throat at the sight of Faien, equal parts awe and suspicion. "Who's the suit?" he whispers to Auran from the corner of his mouth before Faien properly introduces himself. Even still, Roni had grown distrustful of any who identify themselves with governing bodies: those who could be swayed couldn't be trusted for long, and those with the tenacity to adhere to their ideals could never be trusted to begin with.

    "Roni," the spellscale mutters with a quick bow, intentionally leaving off the last name, "and this is my sister Vaeri. You know, I'm relieved that we meet you alone--you say Karrnath, and I half-expect an army of soulless bodies to be saluting at your side, you know?" The boy laughs feebly, hoping to be out of the courthouse sooner rather than later. His recent rash of not-so-subtle jobs may have raised his popularity in ways he did not desire...ways that often lead to incarceration when seen on government property.

    Interested in a PvP arena? Check out The Crowd Calls for Blood!
    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Faien raises an eyebrow; what reason did the boy have to be so nervous? He mentally corrects his wording a moment later; Roni's words and behaviour make him seem a bit childish, but he cannot be more than a year or two younger than Faien. "The undead unnerve you, Roni? Well, you may consider yourself fortunate that I am a magistrate, then, for they are good only for soldiers and labourers, and I have need of neither."

    What business have you three with me, then? I should return to Karrnath now that I have completed my own, and I believe the Brelish clerks are quite eager to see the last of me," he adds, with no noticeable change in tone.
    Thanks to Arokh for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    "Come, let us walk together..." The tone of Auran's response telegraphs to Faein the need for discretion.

    Once they are well outside amongst the bustling throngs of the metropolis Auran finally speaks in a discreet voice.

    "The item I was tracking ended up the hands of this boy. Seems to be a low level runner for the cartel. He knows more about it than he should, just enough to be dangerous. He got spooked and dumped it en route before he could get here, so he's leading me back to it. Seeing as we're heading back in the same direction I figured I'd look you up. No telling who they will send after the relic and both your sword and valor are well proven."


    "And besides,"
    he gave a sly draconic smile to Faien but spoke loud enough for the twins to hear. "Perhaps the company of a Magistrate will encourage these two to reflect upon the consequences of their actions..."
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Faien sighs; if the paladin believed that, there was no real reason to disillusion him, but in his experience, such influences lasted precisely as long as one was in sight - if they existed at all. "I do not have any particular desire to become embroiled in a religious conflict, but if it is along my path regardless, perhaps there would be no harm in accompanying you."

    He turns to the other two with an arched eyebrow. "And you? What are your sides of this story?"
    Thanks to Arokh for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ebberon Red Hand of Doom Prequel

    Vaeri smiles at the stern faced human.

    "I was just helping my brother." She nods to Roni. "And even though he still can't seem to get it, she glances at Auran, as my brother said, my name is Vaeri. I'm pleased to meet you. What does a magistrate do anyway?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •