New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

I repeat, Domo, is AWESOME! One down, waiting on two more.
    Spoiler
    Show

My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    I repeat, Domo, is AWESOME! One down, waiting on two more.
    Spoiler
    Show

Are the other two for RPG Minecraft and Multiplayer Minecraft, by any chance?

3. - Top - End - #273

Yup. Been needing proper titles for a bit now.

Edit: and DAMN. In the process of updating BC to 2.2.5, updating all the other mods that depend on that, and Millenaire... I broke something in my IC world.

I can create a new world, but trying to enter my current LP one crashes minecraft.

Hm, will try once more, but may need yet another new world for my IC LP.
    Last edited by Iskandar; 2011-11-18 at 06:52 PM.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

WOOT 1.0.0!

Anyways, are you doing your regular Friday SMP show, Iskandar?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

5. - Top - End - #275

Friday, or Saturday.

I have a RPG comic ep made, and I need to sit down and do an Industrial Ep now THAT has crashed and burned. Again.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hello,

Could I please be added to the whitelist for the server. Been playing minecraft for a while, but new to most of the mods used here.

username: I_wuv_you

Thank you

7. - Top - End - #277

New IC episode, featuring a new title.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. Been needing proper titles for a bit now.

Edit: and DAMN. In the process of updating BC to 2.2.5, updating all the other mods that depend on that, and Millenaire... I broke something in my IC world.

I can create a new world, but trying to enter my current LP one crashes minecraft.

Hm, will try once more, but may need yet another new world for my IC LP.
    And that's why the mods in my LP aren't getting updated. Speaking of which, there should be another of those.. soon. Work decided now was the best time to swamp me with overtime and basically leave me with zero free time per day for anything.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, phonically it would be A-glee-se, it's the french word for church.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Also, phonically it would be A-glee-se, it's the french word for church.
    Point to the boy who can't spell!
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #281

Point to the boy who can't spell!
    The boy who cannot spell is also pretty much bilingual.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    The boy who cannot spell is also pretty much bilingual.
    Heh, je suis bilingue.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-11-19 at 12:03 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Some pictures of the new western settlement (Taken via jetpack)

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

14. - Top - End - #284

New RPG episode, featuring new title graphic by Domo

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Iskandar, if you need wool for a bed that badly, you can make one out of string.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, you did notice that there was 54 cobble in that chest you left behind, and you had 11 in tow? And that your builder dude accepts wood and cobble in stacks?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile: A map update of the server.

(Meanwhile, kittendude, did you appear on mumble yet?)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray, something caused another map-rendering error near Rainfall. Maybe it was whatever caused those cracks that Zain and I noticed...
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

19. - Top - End - #289

Xeno, your workshop in the west town seems to be non-functional. No idea how or why, but the furnaces are not working.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Strange. Have there been any creeper strikes or such nearby that could have disrupted it?

Anyways, I might not be on for a while. I have other things that need doing for a while.
    See yas.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

21. - Top - End - #291

None that I know of. I'd be happy if before you leave, you could fix it.

22. - Top - End - #292

Sigh, for those that decided dumping a metric crap ton of snow and ice over spawn and the dome was a good idea, please clean up your mess. Kinda hard to take a representative shot of the server for my title when everything I'd like to shoot is cluttered by unsightly clumps of snow.

Thank you.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Sigh, for those that decided dumping a metric crap ton of snow and ice over spawn and the dome was a good idea, please clean up your mess. Kinda hard to take a representative shot of the server for my title when everything I'd like to shoot is cluttered by unsightly clumps of snow.

Thank you.
    Heh. *points at DreamingMage*
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #294

NinjaGuy

Iskandar, I'm curious; what are the stats on your machine? I plan on buying myself a new system for christmas; with which I may or may not also try my hand at a smaller SMP Let's Play; myself and 1 person for sure, or 4 other people max.
    Processor, RAM, Video Card...

And I know you said you use FRAPS, but what version do you use? The $37 version or the free version 1.9? (I went researching and found reverence to that) And do you record to the same drive while recording? I heard it's better to record to a second drive.

I just want to know I'll be able to get a machine that runs smoothly, and your videos are of great quality. I'm aware also hosting while recording would be a greater burden; thus why it's such a small group.

Destro, I'd also like to know your machine stats too. :)

25. - Top - End - #295

My machine? Hoo boy.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz
    4 GB Ram (probably should be higher, ESPECIALLY if you plan on hosting, playing, and FRAPsing at the same time)
    64 bit Windows 7 (almost as good as Windows XP)
    64 bit Java
    NVidia GTS 250
    and a 1 TB Samsung 3.0 Gb/s SATA drive

Built for about $700 or so almost 2 years ago. (plus monitor, Windows 7, and speakers brought it to about $1k, plus shipping)

Yeah, I bought FRAPS, the free version I think watermarks your videos, and it used to limit you to about 30 seconds of recording, so, yeah.

I record at half size, frame limited to 30 FPS, keeps file sizes down. Usually I get 10 minutes per 4 GB file (raw), or 1.2 GB per 30 minute episode (encoded). That is at 720p, which is probably overkill in Minecraft's case, but it works.

Edit: I HIGHLY suggest you do not try to host a server on the same machine you play from. If you pick up a second machine, use the old machine to host. Just load it up with a lot of RAM, and it will be fine. Or check out hosting. $15 a month or less will get you a small server. I am basically redirecting money that used to go to World of Warcraft to pay Domochevsky to piggyback off his dedicated server.
    Last edited by Iskandar; 2011-11-22 at 01:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

NinjaGuy

I don't know why, but I've only been looking at i5 and i7 cores. Not sure why I haven't looked at AMD previously.
    Sadly I've never been good with Computer hardware.

Been looking at stock on Future Shop (canada's version of Best Buy, as BB bought them out a few years ago). Looks like I can get an AMD Phenom II X6 for $640 vs an i5 Core for $890. Considering what I read, the AMD is better... but I don't understand why it's cheaper.
    What am I missing?

And does recording slow down your computer that much? I have a buddy who tried hosting him and I, and he didn't have any lag on his machine that he noticed (before I realized that my single core was the reason I get 1 minute of lag when I join a server), and his machine is 4 years old, so I think it's only a dual core.

As for other machines being a server; the one I use currently, I'll be giving to my parents, as the one they have now is junk to the point it's likely not even worth anything for what parts it may have; and another I have is 10 years old, and I can't remember what parts are in that, other than a Read-Write cd burner. So not exactly worthy of being a server. There may be a plan E, if a friend gets around to creating some crazy server set up where everyone (6-10 people) gets a mini world on 1 server, and he describes the mini-worlds connecting "Star Gate" style... but who knows how he's going to pull that off.

Sorry for the ramble

Edit: Oh, and when I mentioned "Free FRAPS", yesterday, while searching; I saw reference to FRAPS V1.9D, which was apparently the version before it became pay to use, and thus legally free. It's supposedly on MAJORGEEKS.com; a popular file download site. (or at least, I thought it was back in university)
    Last edited by Crossblade; 2011-11-22 at 02:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

AMD is cheaper than Intel, for equivalent power. Some might argue that Intel chips are better, but I've used AMD pretty much exclusively for um, 12 years? and no problems.

BTW, you might want to consider hosting for your server. Check out Mossycobble or the like, $15 bucks a month will get you a decent server. It is what I did until Domo allowed my to piggyback off his dedicated server.

28. - Top - End - #298

In other news, Episode 28 of my MP Let's Play. i need to start actually building in these again soon, these tours are starting to get a bit chaotic.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 9 of my LP is up too, for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhFn46FV3I

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    Destro, I'd also like to know your machine stats too. :)
    Machine stats. Let me see...

Spoiler
    Show
    Windows XP, Service Pack 3: I don't recommend XP for recording, because you need to work around the fact that its sound drivers can't accept input from more than one source at a time. I'm not upgrading to 7, though, I like XP for everything else. Pretty sure my system is 32 bit, running 32 bit java.

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ (3GHz): Probably on the lower end of things. You'll wanta better processor than this. It works well enough, but large numbers of objects make Minecraft lag.

2GB RAM: Get more. Windows 7 is more memory intensive than XP is. I really should grab a few GB more RAM myself.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240: Good mid-range card. Not high end, but not low end either. Works quite well, really.

Hard Drives: This one's a bit more interesting. I have a 1TB drive, split into two partitions so the system recognises it as two seperate drives. I also have a 160GB drive. The relevant minecraft stuff is all on one of the partitions in the TB drive.

And there you have it. I have a bit of a Franken-PC. I got the thing 5 years ago, and have upgraded and replaced various bits of it over the years. Right now, the only original parts are the 160GB drive, the CD/Floppy drives, and the case. Everything else has been replaced at least once, and it's a miracle this thing works as well as it does. I may put it out of its misery and get a new rig at some point, but right now I have other things to spend money on.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2011-11-22 at 12:21 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as recording while playing goes... you might wanna check into SSD drives for that particular purpose, as the writing speed of your drive will be a strong bottleneck for recording in any case, especially at higher resolutions. (Lots of things to be written to disk at high speeds.)

Edit: Destro, there's some heavy audio desync going on in ep9. At least 10 seconds or so. Makes for a somewhat disjointed video.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-11-22 at 08:58 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)