New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

in other news, I spent the past little while testing quarries with Too Many Items. I ran a simple experiment in order to determine what the optimal setup for powering quarries is. My findings are below:

Spoiler
    Show
    Initial setup. Four quarries total, two steam, two combustion, each being run by a different number of engines.

All quarries were activated by the same lever, and left to run overnight, plus a little into the day. Should work out to around ten minutes, but I didn't time it. I went off this instead:

That quarry was run by a single steam engine. It dug down exactly two layers in the time it had. This one become my 'control' quarry, as running with a single steam engine produces delays and is therefore suboptimal. This one, with two steam engines, is actually decent:

and this one, for comparison, was one combustion engine:

As you can see, two steam engines are roughly equivalent to a single combustion engine. Those quarries dug down the exact same number of levels. They might be a few blocks off of each other, but the difference is negligible. The last quarry was run with two combustion engines:

It dug down a whole 6 levels, putting two combustion engines at only 1.5 times as efficient as a single engine. Clearly suboptimal. Faster, yes, but it uses a great deal more resources to run. After that, I got a little bit silly and ran a 5th quarry for about the same amount of time as I ran the others.

powered by this:

The end result was what you see here:

The completely ludicrous combination of five combustion engines managed to dig down a mighty ten levels. The boom was moving incredibly quickly, so I don't think quarries really have a max speed beyond "How many engines can you physically attach to this thing?" However! Each engine here was actually half as efficient as it would have been running singly.

Therefore, I conclude that the best setup for efficiency is two steam engines, or one combustion engine. More engines will take less time, but are wasteful of resources.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2011-12-18 at 07:21 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

That is good to know. I'm using 8 steam engines, seems to work well enough.

Domo: Update to 1.0 HOWEVER keep a complete backup of the map and be prepared to downgrade again. Several block IDs have changed between 1.8.1 and 1.0, and the map may end up being screwed over in the change.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

You forget that chaining several engines can warm up the lead engine, making it produce pulses at a higher rate. I've done experiments with this in the past, and the optimal configuration is 4 chained steam engines. This makes the lead engine operate at optimal warm-up continually. Similar to your findings, if two such chains are both directed to a quarry, this provides optimal speed and efficiency. I used that setup (two 4-steam-engine chains) at sub-project POWAH.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Sub-Project: POWAH. It seems as though SoulShred and Zain have decided that they want to compete with Xeno and I for the server's resources. Their first move? Setting up a quarry right smack dab in the middle of the western settlement.

It is on.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, what? WHAT? IN MY SETTLEMENT? Hopefully somewhere nice and out of the way, or underground? Nothing that would ruin the visual appeal of the place? Please elaborate.
    Furthermore, I hardly think them a threat. The number of quarries I can bring to bear simultaneously on a place are demonstrated by the fact that last time I did (And at that time, I had half of what I have now) I had to make over 250 chests to store the valuable resource output. VALUABLE output. The cobble, dirt, etc went straight to lava.
    Put simply, I could strip the entire explored expanse of the server to bedrock in a matter of days were I so inclined. I'm just busy with other things right now, HL Chem not least among them. When I'm done with POWAH and these annoying exams, I'll turn my mind back to replenishing my supply of coal and iron. Then you will see true industry.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2011-12-18 at 10:02 PM.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DreamingMage View Post
    Sorry, what? WHAT? IN MY SETTLEMENT? Hopefully somewhere nice and out of the way, or underground? Nothing that would ruin the visual appeal of the place? Please elaborate.
    Log on and see for yourself. Not only is it hideous, it blocks off a potential solar panel expansion.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Log on and see for yourself. Not only is it hideous, it blocks off a potential solar panel expansion.
    I am logging on as we speak. I certainly hope this is not the case, Zane. Should 3SC speak true, I may have to turn my aforementioned industrial prowess against you, and it will NOT be pretty.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the double post.

REALLY, GUYS? I am incredibly surprised you haven't already knocked out part of the underground power grid. As it is, You're damn lucky. Still, it does conflict with the visual aesthetic... perhaps this is some kind of revenge for what I accidentally did to spawn? Hmn... I think I'll leave it's removal to you, but if it's not gone by tomorrow night, I think Cultist will have no qualms about removing it for you. I have other things to attend to now, and as of tomorrow midday I will have nothing else to do. Prepare for some change.

Oh, also, Domo? IC2 hasn't updated yet.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2011-12-18 at 10:15 PM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

You forget that chaining several engines can warm up the lead engine, making it produce pulses at a higher rate. I've done experiments with this in the past, and the optimal configuration is 4 chained steam engines. This makes the lead engine operate at optimal warm-up continually. Similar to your findings, if two such chains are both directed to a quarry, this provides optimal speed and efficiency. I used that setup (two 4-steam-engine chains) at sub-project POWAH.
    IF you do that, you consume 4x normal resources for the engines. It would indeed go faster, but I'm not sure the expense is worth it.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #460
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry for the double post.

REALLY, GUYS? I am incredibly surprised you haven't already knocked out part of the underground power grid. As it is, You're damn lucky. Still, it does conflict with the visual aesthetic... perhaps this is some kind of revenge for what I accidentally did to spawn? Hmn... I think I'll leave it's removal to you, but if it's not gone by tomorrow night, I think Cultist will have no qualms about removing it for you. I have other things to attend to now, and as of tomorrow midday I will have nothing else to do. Prepare for some change.

Edit to elaborate (mainly because 3sec seems to be unintentionally sensationalist)

Item 1,
    I informed BOTH of you when I build the reenforced stone castle that I had claimed the resources under the river there, and neither of you objected at the time. I fully intended to develop said claim, and have to the extent (coal, mainly) that I need to at this time.

Item 2,
    Reguarding competition, I am fully aware of what your are attempting, and commend both of you for it. I would like to point out that Soul and I, as mentioned previously, cannot compete on a Industrial level with Xeno, and have no real want to.
    Last edited by Zain; 2011-12-19 at 01:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, also, Domo? IC2 hasn't updated yet.
    Is 1.42 not good enough?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #462
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Is this a quarrel I see? I think I'll join in :D

I was told by 3second first :O
    Last edited by mario65889; 2011-12-19 at 01:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

DreamingMage View Post might of been going by the old minecraft.com forum thread on IC^2 instead of the offical IC^2 site's thread. The newest version is posted here:http://forum.industrial-craft.net/in...=3315&33bc2560

Once I get the time I'll try to start building the Citadel of Infinite Creation.
    Anyone know all of the UU mater recipes are located? Or will I need the guidebook or recipe book mods and look them up that way on a test world?
    Last edited by The Shadowmind; 2011-12-19 at 01:23 AM.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

sorry about some minor damage to either the solar panal or nuclear reacter wiring in the western settlement, I hadn't realised how powerful mining lasers were, for now I've patched up the spot of wire I hit with high voltage cable to make sure I didn't overload anything by mistake, I'll change it to fiber glass once I get another diamond
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

1: I laid claim to the entire area and its resources long before you. I did, however, say that you could have the ones under the river near your castle.
    2: When I said that the resources under the river were yours, it was on the assumption that you would do the reasonable thing and dig down, make a small engine cavern, and quarry from an underground locations so as not to disrupt the visual theme. This was reinforced by the fact that you had just discovered existing caverns there at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Is 1.42 not good enough?
    Also, sorry, didn't see that.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2011-12-19 at 08:14 AM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadowmind View Post
    DreamingMage View Post might of been going by the old minecraft.com forum thread on IC^2 instead of the offical IC^2 site's thread. The newest version is posted here:http://forum.industrial-craft.net/in...=3315&33bc2560

Once I get the time I'll try to start building the Citadel of Infinite Creation.
    Anyone know all of the UU mater recipes are located? Or will I need the guidebook or recipe book mods and look them up that way on a test world?
    You are WAY behind on the citadel scenario, I'm afraid. There are already two being built. As for the recipes, we are still working them out. I was thinking of putting them all up in signs, maybe in the spawn library if Destro is willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Edit to elaborate (mainly because 3sec seems to be unintentionally sensationalist)

Item 1,
    I informed BOTH of you when I build the reinforced stone castle that I had claimed the resources under the river there, and neither of you objected at the time. I fully intended to develop said claim, and have to the extent (coal, mainly) that I need to at this time.

Item 2,
    Regarding competition, I am fully aware of what your are attempting, and commend both of you for it. I would like to point out that Soul and I, as mentioned previously, cannot compete on a Industrial level with Xeno, and have no real want to.
    I prefer my sensationalism intentional, thank you very much.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-12-19 at 09:36 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

You are WAY behind on the citadel scenario, I'm afraid. There are already two being built. As for the recipes, we are still working them out. I was thinking of putting them all up in signs, maybe in the spawn library if Destro is willing.
    I could put up an underground chamber attached to the library archives especially for them, if you like. Or you could just stick them on the bookshelves in the library proper, though the aesthetic would be a little off.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I could put up an underground chamber attached to the library archives especially for them, if you like. Or you could just stick them on the bookshelves in the library proper, though the aesthetic would be a little off.
    I think an underground chamber might work best. Do you need help excavating?
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-12-19 at 10:09 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Dunno. How big we need it to be? Can probably make use of our old friend the Power Tool Rune to get a nice big empty space carved out...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Dunno. How big we need it to be? Can probably make use of our old friend the Power Tool Rune to get a nice big empty space carved out...
    Big enough. I am thinking at least 21 by 21, to get some grandeur into the picture.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, if we want grandeur, why not make a Hall of Recipes? How many UU matter recipes are there? Each one would need a 3x5 space, you could fit two stacked up if you had a 9 block high room. Pink wool or something for UU matter...

That, or just a really big room full of signs.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, if we want grandeur, why not make a Hall of Recipes? How many UU matter recipes are there? Each one would need a 3x5 space, you could fit two stacked up if you had a 9 block high room. Pink wool or something for UU matter...

That, or just a really big room full of signs.
    Oooh, I like that idea. Do a physical representation of all the known recipes... I was thinking more of just signs, but that works way better.

(Also, Hall of Recipes sounds like a kitchen! )
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

A kitchen where you can cook literally anything.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #474
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

There are 23 recipes, unless I missed some. I cruised through the combos yesterday looking for slime, but it wasn't on the list. Once the hall is up let me know coords and I can put some recipes in there. Also, are they adding more recipes when the mod updates?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

any idea why i can't connect to the server anymore, I keep getting the following error;
    "TP response code: 502 for URL: [uryfdl]http://session.minecraft.net/game/joinserver.jsp?user=Arcanamage(the[/url] rest is just a bunch of letters and numbers, it covered the entire face of the secondary screen, as well as about 1/2 of my main screen)"

edited to remove the weird link thingy
    Last edited by Togath; 2011-12-19 at 11:30 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

26. - Top - End - #476
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I have the same problem as well.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Bad Gateway, hm? Sounds like the login server failed there. Nothing directly related to our server, i'd say.

(Oddly enough i get the same error quite often recently with blip.tv. Not sure what's up with that.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

28. - Top - End - #478
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

We finally got on.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Barbarian in the Playground

Right two big projects to announce,

Number one is project Fortress, a UU-matter factory, currently creating 50 UU-matter per hour. A warp may be found inside the reenforced stone castle at the western settlement.

Number Two is what I understand to be the first Project for which the materials will be completely generated, Now simply known as Project Nicolette.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just finished making 64 solar panels.

What do you guys think of making a huge water tower? (about 200-400 watermills)
    Last edited by mario65889; 2011-12-21 at 09:37 PM.