New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    The one that explains it isn't contradictory for the gods to create new races AFTER using up the threads of reality to make world 2.0. Living creatures inhabit the planet but are not considered a part of the planet.
    Added.

Also, I forgot we were adding the dates and "latest strips" for each entry. Does someone want to catch us back up on that? Or link to whatever threads were being used for that purpose and I'll eventually get around to it? Thanks.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Art-
    "Skills on Showcase" is 4/11/2012, #848.

D&D Rules-
    "Game balance doesn't matter in this story" was 9/20/2011, #806.

Story/Plot
    "Religions and deities in OOTS world" was 4/11/2012, #848.

Story/Plot subheader "mistakes"
    "Gods created creatures after the world was created" was 3/20/2012, #845.

The ebooks comment is 4/11/2011, #786.

"Don't vote on Top Webcomics" is 5/19/2010, #724. (Technically, #725 went up half an hour later.)

I don't think you're missing any others.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2012-05-03 at 06:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for that B. Dandelion. Index updated.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm adding this to the Index for easy access, since this question seems to be coming up a lot lately on the forum. This quote has a limited shelf life but I will remove it when it is no longer needed (that's why it is also being kept separate at the top of the page...)

It is tough to dig through the Kickstarter announcements to find this info, so that's why I think this quickie link is helpful:

For Those Who Missed Out on Kickstarter: The swag, sans patches, will be very likely available again at some point.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoa. I just found out we have [post] and [thread] tags as well as the [url] tags from a post made by Rawhide. I clicked quote on the first post to check; since they use the [url] tag, would it be a good idea to switch the ones that link directly to giantitp posts to [post] tags? It would save some room, so in time we could fit in a few more comments.

It's not necessarily a good idea, though. It appears that it sends you to the page on the same tab instead of opening a new one. Plus it sends you right to the thread instead of to a page with nothing but the post. That's a little annoying compared to the [url] tags, but I'm not sure how much it would bug people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    Whoa. I just found out we have [post] and [thread] tags as well as the [url] tags from a post made by Rawhide. I clicked quote on the first post to check; since they use the [url] tag, would it be a good idea to switch the ones that link directly to giantitp posts to [post] tags? It would save some room, so in time we could fit in a few more comments.

It's not necessarily a good idea, though. It appears that it sends you to the page on the same tab instead of opening a new one. Plus it sends you right to the thread instead of to a page with nothing but the post. That's a little annoying compared to the [url] tags, but I'm not sure how much it would bug people.
    Thanks for that, Whiffet. I think last I checked we're only about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way to the letter-count-limit, so it probably isn't imminently necessary... what I may do is each time I update the Index I'll change five or six of the url tags to post tags, since changing all of them at once sounds time consuming.

Given that this is a bit of a slow spell for the Index I may also take some time in a week or two to move some things around and reorganize - I've already noticed a few places that could use some improvement. So that may be an up and coming update as well.

7. - Top - End - #397

BarbarianGuy

Thank you for doing this, ThePhantasm.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Thanks for that, Whiffet. I think last I checked we're only about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way to the letter-count-limit, so it probably isn't imminently necessary... what I may do is each time I update the Index I'll change five or six of the url tags to post tags, since changing all of them at once sounds time consuming.

Given that this is a bit of a slow spell for the Index I may also take some time in a week or two to move some things around and reorganize - I've already noticed a few places that could use some improvement. So that may be an up and coming update as well.
    When space does run out, you could first ask the mods to lock this thread and then start a new one with multiple reserved posts at the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    When space does run out, you could first ask the mods to lock this thread and then start a new one with multiple reserved posts at the beginning.
    Yes, that was my initial plan. I'd have reserved more posts for this one if I'd had any idea the index would grow so rapidly... we had quite a long run of Rich forum activity there for awhile.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2012-06-22 at 08:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #400

Here, Rich clarifies that the undead in the latest strip are mummies.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

This may not be what you want in this index, but I thought it was funny. And hey, a discussion about it is a possibility.

If the OotS were dice, Belkar would be a d4, Vaarsuvius a d6 and Durkon a d12.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

12. - Top - End - #402

Don't forget the previous tweet.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Error View Post
    Here, Rich clarifies that the undead in the latest strip are mummies.
    I'm not sure if that statement is necessary. Isn't it rather obvious from the strip itself that they are mummies? I mean, they are called mummies by the LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    This may not be what you want in this index, but I thought it was funny. And hey, a discussion about it is a possibility.

If the OotS were dice, Belkar would be a d4, Vaarsuvius a d6 and Durkon a d12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Don't forget the previous tweet.
    That is funny. But one of the problems with including tweets in the Index is that I'm pretty sure Twitter only archives tweets for a limited amount of time, meaning that eventually the tweets will disappear. Though I suppose I could just include it and then remove the link when it one day fails?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure if that statement is necessary. Isn't it rather obvious from the strip itself that they are mummies? I mean, they are called mummies by the LG.
    The question has been raised on these forums several times since that comic went up, I think it is useful to add.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    The question has been raised on these forums several times since that comic went up, I think it is useful to add.
    That's true.

I'm having difficulties figuring out which subsection to put it under. "Art and Magic" since the mummies are the result of a spell, and the question is about their appearance? Any suggestions?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

That's true.

I'm having difficulties figuring out which subsection to put it under. "Art and Magic" since the mummies are the result of a spell, and the question is about their appearance? Any suggestions?
    "Art and Magic" works, but I think it should probably go under "D&D Rules and Explanations", given that stuff like Durkons diamond dust falls under that section.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    "Art and Magic" works, but I think it should probably go under "D&D Rules and Explanations", given that stuff like Durkons diamond dust falls under that section.
    Yeah, that sounds good. I'll put it there, at least until I get around to some sort of reorganization.

Updated.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

A minor nitpick for the interview transcripts- the abomination that starred Tom Hanks was Mazes and Monsters, not Maces and Monsters.
    Ahhh, the overconfident, smug smirk. When done right, it's almost an art form.
    Hey, I'm an artist now!

I'd make a plug for Teutonic Knight here for providing the sweet avatar. Really, I would. But I just can't find a witty way to express my admiration.
    Shame, really.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

That's true.

To be honest, I don't think it's worth including at all. There's several direct statements in the comic that they are mummies. It's not a question that's likely to be asked again, and if it is, we can point to the comic, rather than The Giant's comments.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it's worth including at all. There's several direct statements in the comic that they are mummies. It's not a question that's likely to be asked again, and if it is, we can point to the comic, rather than The Giant's comments.
    I felt the same way, but I thought I was in the minority on this. If there's enough people who feel that it shouldn't be in the Index I'll gladly remove it. Otherwise it stays for now, I guess.

Also, @WowWeird, thanks for pointing out that typo. I'll fix it in the next update.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Colossus in the Playground

There will be more people who think they're zombies. I can practically guarantee it.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I agree with Kish. It seems obvious to me that they're real mummies, but enough people have thought otherwise that I think it's worth keeping The Giant's statement. If the confusion arises again at some later date, this way we'll at least be prepared for it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Added several new subcategories to help make things easier to track down: "Art & Merchandise," "Culture and Geography," "Calendars and Dates," and "Rules Accuracy."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Settling a long argument about Tarquin's apparent trap sense in #858

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post13600231
    -.____________________

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Durkon used Meld Into Stone in #859

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101
    -.____________________

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would this comment belong anywhere? [link]

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Would this comment belong anywhere? [link]
    Can't really see how... the purpose of the index is as an accessible reference for debates, and nothing in that post even applies to the comic...
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Can't really see how... the purpose of the index is as an accessible reference for debates, and nothing in that post even applies to the comic...
    Well, considering we have this quote under the aligment section, this new one fits right in, right?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Well, considering we have this quote under the aligment section, this new one fits right in, right?
    Perhaps, but what can we get from the new quote that we can't get from this older one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.