New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    This is already essentially covered by the complete explanation of how Familicide works, which is already in this thread.
    It's still a new quote by The Giant, and helps clarify it a little. Still helpful to have up. But whether included or not, doesn't matter. I'm just posting the link.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Folks....
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Until I get this sorted out, does everyone mind keeping discussion to a minimum and only posting new quote suggestions? That way it is less likely I miss something else that gets added. If I'm unsure about including a certain quote I'll ask for a vote...
    Let's be nice to the list maintainer, eh?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-06-13 at 01:23 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think this falls under the category of "why didn't character X do Y?"

4. - Top - End - #754
    Pixie in the Playground

The Linear Guild's descent into the pyramid took hours because they didn't have a rogue to disarm traps, causing the Guild and the Order to arrive around the same time. Nale likely had to take 20 on a lot of Search checks.
    Last edited by Halghare; 2013-06-18 at 03:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #757

Was this one mentioned before? It's old, but here the Giant talks a bit about what had been intended for Miko's character. She was never intended as an indefinite romantic interest for Roy, and it had been planned for her to fall from grace and destroy Soon's Gate from before her first full appearance in #200. No one else was considered for this role.

It's sort of an aside to a discussion about the commentary in NCftPB which says that originally the inn sub-plot had been designed with "light romantic comedy" in mind before the Giant realized Miko was harsher than he'd realized and completely unsuited to the role. This sparked some speculation that she had been written towards a much darker end than originally planned and perhaps that Miko/Roy might have been a thing before the Giant changed his mind. But she was always intended as a "villain" and the Giant had no plans to have Roy in a relationship with her, only for him to clumsily attempt to start one.

The date on it's 5/29/2008, so that'd be... uh, looks like a whopping three minutes before #560's thread went up, I think that's probably the strip it ought to be affiliated with.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2013-06-19 at 08:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Durkon casting detect magic is a continuity error

I believe it needs to be in the index because people keep asking about it . Since the forum search feature remains down, the only place to find it is here.

ETA: To be explicit, I believe the first statement in which Rich explains the continuity error should be in the index but the second one in which he rebukes a poster should not be, as it adds no new information on the world and is more a mod-administrative message.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2013-06-20 at 07:34 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #759

I'm back with my rats!

Stinky Feet:
    Season 1 Cup Finalist
    Die Valkyrie:
    Season 2 Cup Semifinalist
    Season 3 Division-A Champs and Cup Semifinalist

Beyond Entropy:
    Season 4... A messy but funny team!
    Sweet Feet:
    Season 5 and 6 Cup Semifinalist
    Ultimate Feet:
    Season 7 - The last season!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Last edited by Porthos; 2013-06-21 at 11:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Girard is not a flawless munchkin illusionist with perfect DnD tactics, he's a very fallible person. This is not a story where the NPCs are competant enough for the PCs to not do anything.

I dunno, don't we have like twelve of these kind of quotes by now?

Also, a question: I recall the Giant answering a thread where someone claimed that Durkon wanted to die, but I can't find the quote. Is it in here somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Also, a question: I recall the Giant answering a thread where someone claimed that Durkon wanted to die, but I can't find the quote. Is it in here somewhere?
    It's been mentioned before in context of another answer.. It doesn't seem to be included at the moment. ThePhantasm might have already rejected it as not worthy of inclusion/already covered by other comments.

Here is the actual post by The Giant.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-06-23 at 04:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Girard is not a flawless munchkin illusionist with perfect DnD tactics, he's a very fallible person. This is not a story where the NPCs are competant enough for the PCs to not do anything.

I dunno, don't we have like twelve of these kind of quotes by now?

Well considering there are enough people who don't seem to realize it that it keeps coming up again...maybe it is worth including?

15. - Top - End - #765

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

It took me forever to find it while researching, so I recommend this post for inclusion in the comments if it is not already included. The significant fact is that the nobles of Azure city have between 20 to 100 samurai and men at arms each, plus a few casters and ninja if that is their taste. There are a few dozen nobles.

The importance of this is that the withdrawal of the nobles from the battle of Azure City had negligible impact on the overall military impact, something *I* had not realized until the Giant so clarified.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    More stuff from the "Vigilantism and the Lawful Alignment in OotS"-Thread

The comic is not a sourcebook (but I'm not sure we should include that)
    <snip>
    I'm still here, but obviously waaaay behind... I was without internet this past week so didn't get a chance to do anything. Massive update incoming whenever I sort though all this stuff.
    Alright, this is all the stuff I've got to sort through (er... if you notice something missing tell me). This is the farthest I've been behind on the Index... ever. Some of these quotes I haven't even read yet.

Until I get this sorted out, does everyone mind keeping discussion to a minimum and only posting new quote suggestions? That way it is less likely I miss something else that gets added. If I'm unsure about including a certain quote I'll ask for a vote...

I really do appreciate the discussions of each quote, its just I've got some catching up to do... my internet connectivity has been bonkers lately but it is holding up right now so hopefully it won't go down again.
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    It took me forever to find it while researching, so I recommend this post <snip>.
    It is already on the giant pile of stuff missing at this time (and maybe my synopsis was really too bad to find it, but the post touches quite some topics, and I wasn't sure about whether to include it and wanted to stuff it into one short sentence).
    So in the meantime it would be best to take the time to search the last 1-2 pages from this thread to make it as easy as possible to ThePhantasm (who makes an awesome job as the maintainer of this thread).

[That wasn't really targeted at pendell, but I also wanted to give ThePhantasm the hint that this is a duplicate quote]

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

How the giant draws the strips . Each strip is as long as it is precisely to achieve a particular impact. He writes first the speech, then foreground, then background, and finally the speech balloons.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #770

Is there already confirmation from The Giant somewhere as to which of the orange/purple fiends was Nero and which was Cedrik?
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    Is there already confirmation from The Giant somewhere as to which of the orange/purple fiends was Nero and which was Cedrik?
    In commentary of DStP.

Lee (Yellow)
    Nero (Purple)
    Cedrick (Orange)

Any dialogue which might not seem to match up with alignment was purposeful, due to the goals of the IFCC

22. - Top - End - #772
    Colossus in the Playground

The commentary also clarifies which is which (Lee is a devil, Cedrik a demon, Nero a daemon).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Bump. This thread cannot be permitted to die, especially when the forum's search function is nonfunctional.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be making the necessary update sometime over the weekend I hope. I know its been really delayed... life has been a heck of a lot busier than usual for me lately.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

There will be no Munchkin OotS (the Steve Jackson game) (07/06/2013; #897)

[Just added the date/comic information, I think it might make updating it easier for ThePhantasm.]

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #776
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Please don't bump this thread just to keep it on the front page. Being on the second page does not equal "lost forever." Since it's highly unlikely I will stop making comments altogether, and every time I do a few dozen posters will rush here to record them, it's not going away any time soon.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

27. - Top - End - #777
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

We don't need to keep the Index bumped constantly

Sorry, but somebody had to do it.

28. - Top - End - #778

lol :) 666

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CRtwenty View Post
    We don't need to keep the Index bumped constantly

Sorry, but somebody had to do it.
    Magnificent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #780

Sigging
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!