New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Wow. That looks like it would be very useful but also very hard to create. Although I imagine it wouldn't be too hard if I knew how to code tables in BBCode
    It is really easy to create (Quote it for the code, or PM me, if desired.)

However, I had the advantage of wanting to list simple, chronological things. Here you need to categorize somehow, and figuring out how to do the categorization will be the biggest problem, I think. I like the ideas of having a main section for characters with quotes organized by character. I'm wondering if it would be helpful to have a section for website/merchandise quotes, for things like why the strip title isn't above the comics, the oracle's location on the poster, etc -- at the moment, I wouldn't think to look for non-comic related quotes in the Art section.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    A few suggestions for re-organising the index:

- Have a new main category Characters. Move here the sections Character Items, Stats & Quirks which I feel are not appropriate in the Rules category. Also include a few things like V's Children, and OOTS Age Range:

- possibly make Alignment a sub category of Characters.

- Make Writing Process and Story Development a main category, rather than a subset of Story/ Plot.

- have an Everything Else category, for things that don't fit into the main categories.
    I agree with all these suggestions, and if it comes down to a vote, I vote for them (plus what the Phantasm was already thinking about).

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    It is really easy to create
    I still think we could add a few extra columns, put Xykon, RC, MitD and other usual suspects as headers, and populate their columns with "Y" and "N" to indicate if they were present in the comic, for those situations were e.g. you remember MitD was talking to RC without Xykon, but can't quite place where.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #993
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I think the problem with a "characters" category is that far too many of the quotes relate to more than one character, and listing a single quote five or ten times makes things more needlessly complex, not less.

We could make a "characterization" category and just have it as a general category (for any entry that contains pertinent material on more than one character, or that focuses on a minor character) with subcategories for each character that Rich has commented on multiple times. A fair number of things that are currently under "Story/Plot" could be moved to this category

I'd also suggest taking some of the larger subcategories (e.g, "Storytelling Mistakes") out of the "story/plot" category and making them their own folders.

Smaller subcategories (ie: ones with only 2 entries) can just have their entries put in the larger category - it makes looking things up simpler.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2013-09-08 at 10:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #994

The link in the first post about the Kickstarter swag should note that said swag is available now. The bit about the PDF stories being available in print some day is still relevant, unless there's an updated quote.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

5. - Top - End - #995

I don't think it has already be submited, excuse me if it's the case:

Tarquin's dagger inflict 1d4+plot damage.

In other word, it wasn't so much Tarquin inflicting massive damage than Nale being closer to death than he thought.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #996
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Tarquin's dagger inflict 1d4+plot damage.
    That was mentioned a few pages back

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

link

Two important points to be made:
    A 'protaganist' is the person who solves the stories central problem. In the real world, there is no convenient 'protaganist' label.

D&D is severely limited from a story telling perspective, because it models combat but not much else. So "optimal" from a D&D rules perspective is not necessarily optimal either from a storytelling perspective or in any other that makes sense to the reader who is not a D&D geek.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    link

Two important points to be made:
    A 'protaganist' is the person who solves the stories central problem. In the real world, there is no convenient 'protaganist' label.

D&D is severely limited from a story telling perspective, because it models combat but not much else. So "optimal" from a D&D rules perspective is not necessarily optimal either from a storytelling perspective or in any other that makes sense to the reader who is not a D&D geek.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    These are both the same comment.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

"crowing about optimal tactics in D&D is often like expecting everyone to eat gruel all the time because it's the most efficient without acknowledging that there are dozens of reasons a character might not want to do so" http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=77

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

It has already been linked to twice...

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blas_de_Lezo View Post
    "crowing about optimal tactics in D&D is often like expecting everyone to eat gruel all the time because it's the most efficient without acknowledging that there are dozens of reasons a character might not want to do so" http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=77
    That's a better summary, but it's the same comment.

From the same thread:

"...OOTS is an imperfect model of D&D, and most people understand that. Some don't."

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Firbolg in the Playground

Last edited by 137beth; 2013-09-11 at 04:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    While it's utterly tangential, the really interesting thing about this for me is that it explicitly confirms OOTS is using the Great Wheel cosmology.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I think he was just using the names of the planes that people would recognize. Sounds better than "The LE plane, the LE (leaning lawful) plane, the LE (leaning evil) plane, the evil plane, the evil plan (leaning chaotic), etc.

Holy crap, the Great Wheel has a lot of planes. Anyway, I think the names some of the names are copyrighted, and I wouldn't expect to see them explicitly named in the actual strip.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2013-09-11 at 10:42 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    While it's utterly tangential, the really interesting thing about this for me is that it explicitly confirms OOTS is using the Great Wheel cosmology.
    It's using "mostly-Great Wheel cosmology", with the addition of at least two humorously themed demiplanes and semi-elemental planes.

18. - Top - End - #1008

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Anyway, I think the names are copyrighted, and I wouldn't expect to see them explicitly named in the actual strip.
    Most of those names come from real-world mythology, and you can't copyright that.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Most of those names come from real-world mythology, and you can't copyright that.
    Hm, I suppose you're right. For some reason I thought they were made up (I'm not a mythology expert, evidently).

I still wouldn't take it as confirmation that OotS will be using the Great Wheel cosmology, but rather uses a similar structure.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Acheron" is from Classical Mythology, and is one of the rivers of the underworld. "Gehenna" is a name for a valley outside Jerusalem where followers of the god Moloch according to legend sacrificed children to fire, and was therefore considered accursed. Hades, of course, is named for the god of the Greek underworld. "Carceri" is derived from the same root as "incarcerate", and its alternate name "Tarterus" comes from the worst part of the Underworld in Classical Mythology. "Outlands" is a fairly generic name, all told . So far as I'm aware, only Mechanus (out of the planes named) has a completely made-up name.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Mechanus is also known as Nirvana, which has been both seen (Panel 4) and mentioned (Panel 8).

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Eh, I think he was just using the names of the planes that people would recognize. Sounds better than "The LE plane, the LE (leaning lawful) plane, the LE (leaning evil) plane, the evil plane, the evil plan (leaning chaotic), etc.

Holy crap, the Great Wheel has a lot of planes. Anyway, I think the names some of the names are copyrighted, and I wouldn't expect to see them explicitly named in the actual strip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGhandalf View Post
    "Acheron" is from Classical Mythology, and is one of the rivers of the underworld. "Gehenna" is a name for a valley outside Jerusalem where followers of the god Moloch according to legend sacrificed children to fire, and was therefore considered accursed. Hades, of course, is named for the god of the Greek underworld. "Carceri" is derived from the same root as "incarcerate", and its alternate name "Tarterus" comes from the worst part of the Underworld in Classical Mythology. "Outlands" is a fairly generic name, all told . So far as I'm aware, only Mechanus (out of the planes named) has a completely made-up name.
    Almost all of the names for the Outer Planes used in 1E were drawn from mythological, religious or literary sources, with the sole exception of Concordant Opposition. In the 2E DMG, the names of the Outer Planes were identical to the 1E names, but by the time the Planescape Campaign Setting was released, TSR management had decided to avoid using anything that might get them in trouble with the likes of Patricia Pulling and her ilk. Those names (Ysgard, The Outlands, Mechanus, Bytopia) were probably trademarkable. In 3E, the names were modified to incorporate both a mythological, religious or literary source as well as the Planescape terminology (Nine Hells of Baator, Infernal Battlefields of Acheron, Everchanging Chaos of Limbo). Referring to Asgard or Nirvana is fine, but referring to Mount Celestia or Mechanus is probably not. That's probably why the Giant used the term "Celestial Realm" in book four.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys, this is not the appropriate place for discussing the planes. This thread should only be for listing The Giant's comments. If you want to discuss the issues raised, go to the linked thread, if current, or start a new thread.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Guys, this is not the appropriate place for discussing the planes. This thread should only be for listing The Giant's comments. If you want to discuss the issues raised, go to the linked thread, if current, or start a new thread.
    Seconded. Let's keep this thread on topic.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Halfling in the Playground

Is there any way to have a thread that is only an index of the Giant's comments, without any other comments getting in the way?

In a thread labeled "The Index of the Giant's Comments," how could anything else be on topic?

26. - Top - End - #1016

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
    Is there any way to have a thread that is only an index of the Giant's comments, without any other comments getting in the way?

In a thread labeled "The Index of the Giant's Comments," how could anything else be on topic?
    I suppose that the thread could be locked, with only Phantasm having permission to edit, and people would have to PM submissions for new comments instead of just re-posting, but that seems needlessly complicated
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Orc in the Playground

"Should this comment by the giant be placed in the index?" is on topic.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

You may use this Google query for that purpose.

This index is a community project, not just the project of one poster. Thus, discussion about the index (and suggested quotes) is not only permitted in this thread, it is encouraged.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    This index is a community project, not just the project of one poster. Thus, discussion about the index (and suggested quotes) is not only permitted in this thread, it is encouraged.
    Somewhat agree but discussion of planes should not take place here. Discussions about whether something should be included in this Index is probably OK. Ideally this thread would simply list the Giant's comments, period.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Discussion of whether the Giant's comments indicate anything noteworthy about the OOTS-verse is on-topic, and that's what the plane discussion was getting at. We don't list every single post he makes here, which means there's going to be debate over where the line is and whether a given comment is on one side of it or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?